Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [POLL] Old vs New Jupitor/Saturn
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Old one. It reminded me of the Shade and I thought that was pretty cool. [img]http://www.flightrising.com/images/wiki/firstage/image_03.jpg[/img] But I don't like either all that much because I don't like the face markings. Would have only used it on Shade dragons anyway; now I have no reason to use it at all.
Old one. It reminded me of the Shade and I thought that was pretty cool.

image_03.jpg

But I don't like either all that much because I don't like the face markings. Would have only used it on Shade dragons anyway; now I have no reason to use it at all.
For some reason Jupiter looks better, but Saturn is worse. I don't really like where this thread is going, you're probably making the admins upset that they made a choose like that
For some reason Jupiter looks better, but Saturn is worse. I don't really like where this thread is going, you're probably making the admins upset that they made a choose like that
I liked the old Saturn significantly better. The new Jupiter is okay, but I still prefer the older one. New Saturn reminds me of Hypnotic which gives me a headache to look at. Glad I didn't gene change my dragon like I had planned to now... @_@
I liked the old Saturn significantly better. The new Jupiter is okay, but I still prefer the older one. New Saturn reminds me of Hypnotic which gives me a headache to look at. Glad I didn't gene change my dragon like I had planned to now... @_@
New
New
AZaaqmj.png sushi_1.png
I liked the older ones.
I liked the older ones.
PQznZys.png
@McAlli I wasn't saying everyone thought the mentioned genes were lazy, just that some people do, because artistic complexity is different in every person's eye. I apologize for not dictating that clearly.

One of the points I was trying to make in my earlier post (albeit vaguely) is that Jupiter/Saturn wasn't an unfinished gene. It was inconsistent, yes, but the markings were complete on every breed, sex, and age. Somehow, female Mirrors ended up with a template dissimilar to that of all the other breeds, and that went unnoticed until the gene was completed and uploaded. So instead of just tweaking some brushstrokes to "fix" the gene on the other breeds, the artists now have to completely redo seventy-six different templates in as little time as possible. The staff did not deliberately upload an incomplete gene just to redo it within hours. (I'm not saying that you said they did that, of course; it was just something I was trying to say in general.) The inconsistency was unintentional.

(As a general note, that's probably why Thylacine was never edited. Although some of its attributes are controversial, they're still consistent on all breeds, while Jupiter and Saturn were not.)

I can see your point about complicated genes being difficult to work with, but I also think that's part of what Contour was designed to address. There was a lot of demand for a simple tertiary that covered up few of a dragon's prim/sec markings while still showing off the tert color, and, in my opinion, Contour has (mostly) achieved that. To me, it's on the same complexity level as Underbelly, which I actually consider less effort-intensive than Contour because it uses a very similar template to the basic primary, just with different color samplings. Not everyone likes the idea of Contour, however, and that's okay, and I do hope other simple tertiaries (and prim/secs) are released in the future.

I'm glad to know that inconsistency in the genes was the reason they were changed, though. I can understand the reasoning of that choice better now, and I can agree with it. Again, I apologize for the misinformation in my earlier post.
@McAlli I wasn't saying everyone thought the mentioned genes were lazy, just that some people do, because artistic complexity is different in every person's eye. I apologize for not dictating that clearly.

One of the points I was trying to make in my earlier post (albeit vaguely) is that Jupiter/Saturn wasn't an unfinished gene. It was inconsistent, yes, but the markings were complete on every breed, sex, and age. Somehow, female Mirrors ended up with a template dissimilar to that of all the other breeds, and that went unnoticed until the gene was completed and uploaded. So instead of just tweaking some brushstrokes to "fix" the gene on the other breeds, the artists now have to completely redo seventy-six different templates in as little time as possible. The staff did not deliberately upload an incomplete gene just to redo it within hours. (I'm not saying that you said they did that, of course; it was just something I was trying to say in general.) The inconsistency was unintentional.

(As a general note, that's probably why Thylacine was never edited. Although some of its attributes are controversial, they're still consistent on all breeds, while Jupiter and Saturn were not.)

I can see your point about complicated genes being difficult to work with, but I also think that's part of what Contour was designed to address. There was a lot of demand for a simple tertiary that covered up few of a dragon's prim/sec markings while still showing off the tert color, and, in my opinion, Contour has (mostly) achieved that. To me, it's on the same complexity level as Underbelly, which I actually consider less effort-intensive than Contour because it uses a very similar template to the basic primary, just with different color samplings. Not everyone likes the idea of Contour, however, and that's okay, and I do hope other simple tertiaries (and prim/secs) are released in the future.

I'm glad to know that inconsistency in the genes was the reason they were changed, though. I can understand the reasoning of that choice better now, and I can agree with it. Again, I apologize for the misinformation in my earlier post.
Hmmm I prefer the old one. The new one kinda squicks me out a little. It's kind of worm/hair-like in a sense? I dunno it's not bad, but I thought the old one was really pretty.

It's like we went from "the shade" to "the spaghetti." Although both definitely have their good sides!
Hmmm I prefer the old one. The new one kinda squicks me out a little. It's kind of worm/hair-like in a sense? I dunno it's not bad, but I thought the old one was really pretty.

It's like we went from "the shade" to "the spaghetti." Although both definitely have their good sides!
WpjbI2U.gif
squid/winter | FR+3 | they/them | spelled squidra-gon (like octagon)
I preferred the old one, since I had a plan to re-gene a couple of triples I want/hope to breed in the near future with them. With one of them, the old pattern actually made it look like water camouflage (triple ultramarine imp). The new one blends into the colors too much to be of use now though, especially with the triple sapphire, it's almost invisible.
I preferred the old one, since I had a plan to re-gene a couple of triples I want/hope to breed in the near future with them. With one of them, the old pattern actually made it look like water camouflage (triple ultramarine imp). The new one blends into the colors too much to be of use now though, especially with the triple sapphire, it's almost invisible.
Man, I'm kind of really sad...I bought multiple copies of Jupiter and Saturn to use for some of my gene projects but now I don't like how the new changes look. I was hoping they wouldn't change it on Skydancers....
Man, I'm kind of really sad...I bought multiple copies of Jupiter and Saturn to use for some of my gene projects but now I don't like how the new changes look. I was hoping they wouldn't change it on Skydancers....
@dreamtime

I understand where you're coming from. (And no problem, I apologize if I came off as picking at you, that was not my intention)

I think that my thing is currently that it feels a bit...disingenuous to release a gene with such an obvious difference between a single template and all the others, and then to edit it so quickly. It almost feels like it was attempted to slip under the radar, though I would never go so far as to accuse the staff of doing such a thing. I'm sure it was a mistake, but it was a pretty glaring mistake, and measures should be taken to prevent this same thing from happening the future.
@dreamtime

I understand where you're coming from. (And no problem, I apologize if I came off as picking at you, that was not my intention)

I think that my thing is currently that it feels a bit...disingenuous to release a gene with such an obvious difference between a single template and all the others, and then to edit it so quickly. It almost feels like it was attempted to slip under the radar, though I would never go so far as to accuse the staff of doing such a thing. I'm sure it was a mistake, but it was a pretty glaring mistake, and measures should be taken to prevent this same thing from happening the future.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10