Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lore Whining days- RELOCATED
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45 46
The Flight Rising Lore Whining motto:
If the date ends in 4, then then it's time to write some lore!

UPDATE: As of January 8th 2017, this thread has moved to a new location, and is being run by After.
The new thread is here! Please go over there to participate in Lore Whining Days!

What are 'lore whining' days?

All of the stories we need to write to get our dragon's profiles filled in can be overwhelming, and it's so easy to just keep putting it off. I asked around on tumblr if people would like it if there were set days where lots of us all plan ahead of time to work on lore (so we can stop putting it off and also so we can complain together about how DANG HARD IT IS), and the answer was a very loud yes!

So to bring us together and give us that extra push of motivation that comes with knowing we are not alone, every day with a date ending in 4 (the 4th, 14th, and 24th of every month) is declared a Flight Rising Lore Whining day! Any day ending in 4 is a day for lore!

A day that all of us who have a landslide of writing to do can agree to buckle down and work on our profiles, bios, lore, and any other FR related writing we have waiting to be hammered out if only we could convince ourselves to sit still and do it.

Think of this as a chance to sit at a desk in comfy, friendly room full of people who are all working on their own projects. Everyone typing furiously at their keys or scribbling in their notebooks, sharing solidarity and company just by being there together for the same goal. Nobody in the room thinks internet dragons are a weird thing to spend your time working on- in fact that's why all of us are here!

(Maybe someone screams and wails and bangs their head on the desk in frustration sometimes, but that's ok. Give them a minute and they'll be typing again.)

Keep in mind that your dragons and your lore are, above all else, for you. This is not a group for sharing your writing, although if someone does want to read your stuff then of course that's a great bonus. But don't let worries about what other people want to read and whether anyone else will like it or not sidetrack you from getting it down no matter what.

Let these days be a time of freedom and creativity for yourself. Write your dragons and your stories into what YOU want them to be, and be proud of yourself for making something you love!

Why bother having special days set aside for FR writing?

Having regularly scheduled, pre-planned days to work on things instead of just saying 'I'll get to it sometime' can help us quit procrastinating, and knowing that dozens of other people are doing the same thing at the same time is encouraging and can help keep us from giving up. It's especially helpful for those of us who feel silly for writing about dragon pixels on the internet. Even if it is a weird hobby, at least we're not alone.

Sometimes all you really need to push you to keep going is company on the journey, and you can find that here!

How do I particpate in lore whining days?

The only thing you have to do is work on writing for your dragons on any date ending in 4, it's as easy as that!

If you feel social and want to make forum posts or tumblr posts about how you're doing (or to vent about how much you hate everything) then that's great! If you're not in a social mood you can still bask in knowing you're part of the community just by working extra hard on the same day as everyone else.

Two optional suggestions-

1) Try to set a reasonable goal for yourself at the beginning of the day. If you're just working 'to get a bunch done' it's easy to end up feeling overwhelmed and defeated, because odds are you have way too many dragons to finish in just one day. Pick a challenge of a decent size, something like 'today I will write the first drafts for two profiles' or 'today I will work for at least 30 minutes without getting distracted,' and be proud of yourself when you reach that goal!

2) Consider making a check-in post when you start (just something to say 'I'm going to do some work today!') so people know there's one more friendly face in the crowd. You might also want to make another check-in post at the end of the day to share how you did for accountability's sake, or to celebrate!

Both of these are 100% optional, and you should only do them if they help you.

That's it!

If you like this idea and want it to do well, please help spread the word by telling your friends about it and encouraging them to join in? (Maybe even put a link in your signature?)
The whole 'let's all suffer together' thing only works if people show up!

You can also make posts and tag them 'lore whining' on tumblr if you're active over there.

If you have any questions feel free to ping me and ask.

If you'd like to be pinged in the reminder post every 3rd/13th/23rd, let me know and I'll add your name to the list!

I hope I see lots of you on Friday June 24th, the first official Lore Whining Day!
The Flight Rising Lore Whining motto:
If the date ends in 4, then then it's time to write some lore!

UPDATE: As of January 8th 2017, this thread has moved to a new location, and is being run by After.
The new thread is here! Please go over there to participate in Lore Whining Days!

What are 'lore whining' days?

All of the stories we need to write to get our dragon's profiles filled in can be overwhelming, and it's so easy to just keep putting it off. I asked around on tumblr if people would like it if there were set days where lots of us all plan ahead of time to work on lore (so we can stop putting it off and also so we can complain together about how DANG HARD IT IS), and the answer was a very loud yes!

So to bring us together and give us that extra push of motivation that comes with knowing we are not alone, every day with a date ending in 4 (the 4th, 14th, and 24th of every month) is declared a Flight Rising Lore Whining day! Any day ending in 4 is a day for lore!

A day that all of us who have a landslide of writing to do can agree to buckle down and work on our profiles, bios, lore, and any other FR related writing we have waiting to be hammered out if only we could convince ourselves to sit still and do it.

Think of this as a chance to sit at a desk in comfy, friendly room full of people who are all working on their own projects. Everyone typing furiously at their keys or scribbling in their notebooks, sharing solidarity and company just by being there together for the same goal. Nobody in the room thinks internet dragons are a weird thing to spend your time working on- in fact that's why all of us are here!

(Maybe someone screams and wails and bangs their head on the desk in frustration sometimes, but that's ok. Give them a minute and they'll be typing again.)

Keep in mind that your dragons and your lore are, above all else, for you. This is not a group for sharing your writing, although if someone does want to read your stuff then of course that's a great bonus. But don't let worries about what other people want to read and whether anyone else will like it or not sidetrack you from getting it down no matter what.

Let these days be a time of freedom and creativity for yourself. Write your dragons and your stories into what YOU want them to be, and be proud of yourself for making something you love!

Why bother having special days set aside for FR writing?

Having regularly scheduled, pre-planned days to work on things instead of just saying 'I'll get to it sometime' can help us quit procrastinating, and knowing that dozens of other people are doing the same thing at the same time is encouraging and can help keep us from giving up. It's especially helpful for those of us who feel silly for writing about dragon pixels on the internet. Even if it is a weird hobby, at least we're not alone.

Sometimes all you really need to push you to keep going is company on the journey, and you can find that here!

How do I particpate in lore whining days?

The only thing you have to do is work on writing for your dragons on any date ending in 4, it's as easy as that!

If you feel social and want to make forum posts or tumblr posts about how you're doing (or to vent about how much you hate everything) then that's great! If you're not in a social mood you can still bask in knowing you're part of the community just by working extra hard on the same day as everyone else.

Two optional suggestions-

1) Try to set a reasonable goal for yourself at the beginning of the day. If you're just working 'to get a bunch done' it's easy to end up feeling overwhelmed and defeated, because odds are you have way too many dragons to finish in just one day. Pick a challenge of a decent size, something like 'today I will write the first drafts for two profiles' or 'today I will work for at least 30 minutes without getting distracted,' and be proud of yourself when you reach that goal!

2) Consider making a check-in post when you start (just something to say 'I'm going to do some work today!') so people know there's one more friendly face in the crowd. You might also want to make another check-in post at the end of the day to share how you did for accountability's sake, or to celebrate!

Both of these are 100% optional, and you should only do them if they help you.

That's it!

If you like this idea and want it to do well, please help spread the word by telling your friends about it and encouraging them to join in? (Maybe even put a link in your signature?)
The whole 'let's all suffer together' thing only works if people show up!

You can also make posts and tag them 'lore whining' on tumblr if you're active over there.

If you have any questions feel free to ping me and ask.

If you'd like to be pinged in the reminder post every 3rd/13th/23rd, let me know and I'll add your name to the list!

I hope I see lots of you on Friday June 24th, the first official Lore Whining Day!

hh5n4WA.png
Wn94zHr.png
UTDCqkh.png
QUIpVFE.png
mlHpBMC.png

dRCKSyU.png
[quote=Reminder every 3rd/13th/23rd pinglist] Valoria muxh Rimfaxe Dhay Villainous KitKatJo AristosAchaion34 TheFeatherMage Tiarana Charbee ixris spacedaydreamer NightBreeze Mathilda Hinumi Eaglefairy Leopardmask Orbitz sh33pskin LuckyTheSylveon Birdskull Piscula Charias CptnCatastrophic Blackiebelle ShiraCheshire NightVale Mythie NicoleEirin Deramadus Evermagical Midnightst0rm JollyRoger seraphemme Firefeather lightningtyto TangeloJack elfmoss Delamire Pard luckgandor Incalyscent CrazyCheetahGirl After clarax Nishiboys Elaendorlien toxipraline Marmite CrowsFlight velvetpaws Spookykitty Dessoestma Emordnilap thatjubi Actaeon Pretzii ThatOneIceWing Iriexiris Liberosis TimelordSnowy Alvis Lluvia SylphofPens BraveLittleFish Nazmiye SariStar Virtualhel chaircatshizen BookTravels Pandacow Nanobot87 Snipe 8by0 Adriel Crobbin Aarca StormBerserker Vanquished Riedy Staciva QuetzalQueen demoliceros Basilius Sinfony CatsAndMaths, Cashe, Scatterspark, Averis, Shadeyrain, Frysa, Seamancer, annadandelion, Kalistys [/quote] Note: Why do the reminder pings go out the night before each 'lore whining day' instead of [i]on[/i] each lore whining day? Because if the pings were on every 4th/14th/24th, I would need to make that forum post First Thing Right Away in the morning to keep people from losing precious writing time, and I know I can't commit to that kind of schedule. Maybe sometime in the future I'll come up with a better solution, but for now I can only promise to deliver on what I know I can do.
Reminder every 3rd/13th/23rd pinglist wrote:
Valoria muxh Rimfaxe Dhay Villainous KitKatJo AristosAchaion34 TheFeatherMage Tiarana Charbee ixris spacedaydreamer NightBreeze Mathilda Hinumi Eaglefairy Leopardmask Orbitz sh33pskin LuckyTheSylveon Birdskull Piscula Charias CptnCatastrophic Blackiebelle ShiraCheshire NightVale Mythie NicoleEirin Deramadus Evermagical Midnightst0rm JollyRoger seraphemme Firefeather lightningtyto TangeloJack elfmoss Delamire Pard luckgandor Incalyscent CrazyCheetahGirl After clarax Nishiboys Elaendorlien toxipraline Marmite CrowsFlight velvetpaws Spookykitty Dessoestma Emordnilap thatjubi Actaeon Pretzii ThatOneIceWing Iriexiris Liberosis TimelordSnowy Alvis Lluvia SylphofPens BraveLittleFish Nazmiye SariStar Virtualhel chaircatshizen BookTravels Pandacow Nanobot87 Snipe 8by0 Adriel Crobbin Aarca StormBerserker Vanquished Riedy Staciva QuetzalQueen demoliceros Basilius Sinfony CatsAndMaths, Cashe, Scatterspark, Averis, Shadeyrain, Frysa, Seamancer, annadandelion, Kalistys

Note: Why do the reminder pings go out the night before each 'lore whining day' instead of on each lore whining day?

Because if the pings were on every 4th/14th/24th, I would need to make that forum post First Thing Right Away in the morning to keep people from losing precious writing time, and I know I can't commit to that kind of schedule.

Maybe sometime in the future I'll come up with a better solution, but for now I can only promise to deliver on what I know I can do.

hh5n4WA.png
Wn94zHr.png
UTDCqkh.png
QUIpVFE.png
mlHpBMC.png

dRCKSyU.png
-reserved just in case-
-reserved just in case-

hh5n4WA.png
Wn94zHr.png
UTDCqkh.png
QUIpVFE.png
mlHpBMC.png

dRCKSyU.png
@quis

This seems like a cool idea!

Now I can try to stop slacking off and GET BACK TO WORK!!!

*haha un-funny Stormcatcher pun*
@quis

This seems like a cool idea!

Now I can try to stop slacking off and GET BACK TO WORK!!!

*haha un-funny Stormcatcher pun*
OjYCOIV.png
@quis

Is there a pinglist for this? Because i'm totally in, my poor dragons without any bios ;-;
@quis

Is there a pinglist for this? Because i'm totally in, my poor dragons without any bios ;-;
je67dzK.gif ...
Val + she/her + fr+3
talk to me about hozier

7zrgo5F.png
@Valoria
Sure thing! The second post down right under the intro one has a spot for people who'd like to be reminded on the 3rd, 13th and 23rd. How's that sound, want me to put your name in? :D

@Valoria
Sure thing! The second post down right under the intro one has a spot for people who'd like to be reminded on the 3rd, 13th and 23rd. How's that sound, want me to put your name in? :D

hh5n4WA.png
Wn94zHr.png
UTDCqkh.png
QUIpVFE.png
mlHpBMC.png

dRCKSyU.png
@quis I'd like to be added to the pinglist, please! I've had unfinished dragon bios sitting here for months haha
@quis I'd like to be added to the pinglist, please! I've had unfinished dragon bios sitting here for months haha
hu3ywh.jpg
Signature by Araej
I am ready to sob with others while trying to make my dragons awesome(er) =w=

And if I could please be added to the pinglist, that'd be swell =D
I am ready to sob with others while trying to make my dragons awesome(er) =w=

And if I could please be added to the pinglist, that'd be swell =D
tumblr_petjqu6l6D1uz135no8_500.gif
@Quis I'd love to be pinged for this! It might be better to ping the day of, though.
@Quis I'd love to be pinged for this! It might be better to ping the day of, though.
dhay-->Alicio-->Charioteer

Please ping me! I don't subscribe to my posts.
@Valoria @muxh @Rimfaxe

Got all three of you on the list. I look forward to wailing miserably together with you on Friday!
@Valoria @muxh @Rimfaxe

Got all three of you on the list. I look forward to wailing miserably together with you on Friday!

hh5n4WA.png
Wn94zHr.png
UTDCqkh.png
QUIpVFE.png
mlHpBMC.png

dRCKSyU.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45 46