Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Flight language accent
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Scorpius

Mornin' m8. But we do have quite a ton, more than most people think we have (posh and not posh). TVTropes has a pretty decent basic rundown of typical English (and general british) accents, so that's worth a read if you're interested and don't want to spend too long on a real in-depth talk about it.

Essentially, most people associate an English accent with Received Pronounciation - or Queen's English, as it's often called. You'll most often hear it from upper-class Londoners and people who are just trying to sound pretentious, or newscasters and untrustworthy, smarmy politicians. I'm from the East Anglia region (well, technically just Essex, but I consider it to be part of EA), so I'm used to hearing all the accents that float around in that area. Unfortunately, that also means I'm bombarded with Essex every single day, because I live with a mother who is very Essex.

For example, take normal sentences like, "I'm going to butter the bread," "I need some water", and "Pass me the salt". She pronounces them as "I'm gohn'a bu'uh th' bred," "I need sum war'uh," and "Parse th' sult". The grammar and pronounciation of words is completely butchered and sounds terrible ("Butter" is pronounced "Bu'uh" because of the accent completely dropping T's in words except for when they start with the letter), so you can probably tell why I hate it so much. I'm sure you can do a YouTube search for an example, but be warned - they will explode your eardrums.

Excuse the rambling, asking me about accents is a surefire way to get an unnecessary novel full of yammering :') I will agree about stuffing lots of different accents into one flight, though. You wouldn't believe even just a tiny island like the UK could have so much variation, but it does. It could easily work for flight regions.
@Scorpius

Mornin' m8. But we do have quite a ton, more than most people think we have (posh and not posh). TVTropes has a pretty decent basic rundown of typical English (and general british) accents, so that's worth a read if you're interested and don't want to spend too long on a real in-depth talk about it.

Essentially, most people associate an English accent with Received Pronounciation - or Queen's English, as it's often called. You'll most often hear it from upper-class Londoners and people who are just trying to sound pretentious, or newscasters and untrustworthy, smarmy politicians. I'm from the East Anglia region (well, technically just Essex, but I consider it to be part of EA), so I'm used to hearing all the accents that float around in that area. Unfortunately, that also means I'm bombarded with Essex every single day, because I live with a mother who is very Essex.

For example, take normal sentences like, "I'm going to butter the bread," "I need some water", and "Pass me the salt". She pronounces them as "I'm gohn'a bu'uh th' bred," "I need sum war'uh," and "Parse th' sult". The grammar and pronounciation of words is completely butchered and sounds terrible ("Butter" is pronounced "Bu'uh" because of the accent completely dropping T's in words except for when they start with the letter), so you can probably tell why I hate it so much. I'm sure you can do a YouTube search for an example, but be warned - they will explode your eardrums.

Excuse the rambling, asking me about accents is a surefire way to get an unnecessary novel full of yammering :') I will agree about stuffing lots of different accents into one flight, though. You wouldn't believe even just a tiny island like the UK could have so much variation, but it does. It could easily work for flight regions.
aSAtN3z.png xxx
Quit reading my signature, nerd.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
He/him

Previously Neuromancer

Wishlist
@Scorpius Here's what my brother says: Middle eastern is way too broad a category to just put there. For example, this is a map of the middle east: [img]http://www.www.freeworldmaps.net/middleeast/middleeast.jpg[/img] Notice all the countries, and how big some of them are? There are different languages and different dialects all throughout these regions.
@Scorpius Here's what my brother says:
Middle eastern is way too broad a category to just put there. For example, this is a map of the middle east:
middleeast.jpg
Notice all the countries, and how big some of them are? There are different languages and different dialects all throughout these regions.
Kingdom Come: Clan Lore Story | Hope: Diary of a Slave |Tales from the Star Wood: Writing Shop | Hatchery | Leveling Service
@brianna100
I know, but I don't know where these people, that I can only say are middle eastern, are from really. It's not like I would go up to one of them and ask, "Hey! I noticed that your clothes look middle eastern, but I don't know what specific country your from, so where are your from in middle east?" It feels like I'll be rude in some way and I don't want that. Some of my questions are pure curiosity, but my sisters used to tell me that most of them can come off rude, so I tend to just keep my mouth shut if I'm not sure of myself. I heard these people talk before, but I can't find a distinct difference yet to tell if they're from the same country or not.
@brianna100
I know, but I don't know where these people, that I can only say are middle eastern, are from really. It's not like I would go up to one of them and ask, "Hey! I noticed that your clothes look middle eastern, but I don't know what specific country your from, so where are your from in middle east?" It feels like I'll be rude in some way and I don't want that. Some of my questions are pure curiosity, but my sisters used to tell me that most of them can come off rude, so I tend to just keep my mouth shut if I'm not sure of myself. I heard these people talk before, but I can't find a distinct difference yet to tell if they're from the same country or not.
I have Shame humanity and put us all in Agony because of my Dream!
(Big thanks for the Quote to MythGriffin24)
agony_copy_by_scorpius02-d8cdlsm.pngshame_by_scorpius02-d8cdm6f.png
@Scorpius there are resources online where you can figure out what each accent sounds like and pin it on something close.
@Scorpius there are resources online where you can figure out what each accent sounds like and pin it on something close.
Kingdom Come: Clan Lore Story | Hope: Diary of a Slave |Tales from the Star Wood: Writing Shop | Hatchery | Leveling Service
@brianna100
I guess I can try that. I hope youtube has enough middle east folks speaking in english to find the right accent I hear most.
@brianna100
I guess I can try that. I hope youtube has enough middle east folks speaking in english to find the right accent I hear most.
I've always imagined my own dragons speaking with either a Southern English (the stereotypical pirate) or sort of Scottish accent, but that's just how they sound in my head, not a real headcanon about the site, and ok why the heck wouldn't water dragons speak like pirates.

They'd all just speak dialects of the dragon language, comparing everything to accents in English feels a bit strange to me. Especially including the human-specific slang; they'd have their own, wouldn't they? I like the ideas of how the different flights' speech would mimic their element.
I've always imagined my own dragons speaking with either a Southern English (the stereotypical pirate) or sort of Scottish accent, but that's just how they sound in my head, not a real headcanon about the site, and ok why the heck wouldn't water dragons speak like pirates.

They'd all just speak dialects of the dragon language, comparing everything to accents in English feels a bit strange to me. Especially including the human-specific slang; they'd have their own, wouldn't they? I like the ideas of how the different flights' speech would mimic their element.
@kawakamis
Well, most of us don't speak more than 1 or 2 languages and since majority here speaks english, i thought it would be easier to identify it. It's already cannon in site that dragons speak Draconian, but i want to add some accent to it. I use english to make it easier here, but we can use other languages if people can tell the difference between the main accent and foreign accent. As a thai speaker as well, I can tell if someone is a foreigner or came from north eastern thailand. Thailand also has different dialects but one I'm most familiar with is the middle and the north eastern.
@kawakamis
Well, most of us don't speak more than 1 or 2 languages and since majority here speaks english, i thought it would be easier to identify it. It's already cannon in site that dragons speak Draconian, but i want to add some accent to it. I use english to make it easier here, but we can use other languages if people can tell the difference between the main accent and foreign accent. As a thai speaker as well, I can tell if someone is a foreigner or came from north eastern thailand. Thailand also has different dialects but one I'm most familiar with is the middle and the north eastern.
Bump.
Bump.
So, are dragon speaking English with an accent?...Or, for example, dragon from Ice speak Russian?
So, are dragon speaking English with an accent?...Or, for example, dragon from Ice speak Russian?
If Windsinger spoke with a Chinese or Japanese accent, that would be very cute.
If Windsinger spoke with a Chinese or Japanese accent, that would be very cute.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7