Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Dragon Lifespans? [Lore]
Hello, all! I've been slowly hacking away at bios for all my dragons when something of note came to my attention. I did a little digging in all usual places, but I was unable to find very much information on the different lifespans for dragons of different species from official sources. I'm certain that I can't have been the only person asking, so I was wondering if folks could direct me to where I could find the relevant information? If not, here are some semi-educated guesses based on the small snippets I've found, generalized dragon lore and low metabolism rates of large reptiles and longevity of birds. : [b]Guardians: [/b] [quote]Question and Answer 21 [indent] Little Blue asked:The shorter question first, what counts as an adult for a Guardian? Would they have already lived one or two centuries by the time they were, about, 30 to 35 by human standards?[/indent] Guardian dragons have an average lifespan of 300 cycles, and are one of the longest lived breeds in Flight Rising. They would be considered a sub-adult by age 10, and a full adult by age 50 (between the ages of 10 and 50 guardian dragons will typically seek out their charge.) They do not reach their full adult size until they are 100.[/quote] ( from the Flight Rising Tumblr, [url=http://flightrising.tumblr.com/post/47800886518/question-and-answer-21]Question and Answer 21[/url] ) So we can assume that (as a generalization) live to be about 300, considered adolescent at 10 years, maturing at 50 and reaching full-size at 100. This is the most specific information I could find. [b]Imperials:[/b] [quote]These dragons have incredibly unpredictable lifespans. Some individuals live only a decade, while others thrive for hundreds of years.[/quote] (from the Flight Rising Encyclopedia, [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=29]Imperials[/url]) From this we can assume that Imperials have the potential to be, at once, the longest lived species [i]and[/i] the shortest. [b]Another interesting snippet about dragon lifespans:[/b] [quote] Question and Answer 18 [indent] hopefulkiwi asked: I don’t know if this has been asked already but I was wondering do the dragons have a lifespan of some kind?[/indent] For our game purposes, dragons’ don’t die. We didn’t want for someone to get a special breed and gene combination that they worked really hard for, leveled up, RP-d with, and grew attached to, only to have it die. I know that some breeding sims have used lifespans to good effect, but we don’t feel it would enhance Flight Rising. Lore-wise they can and do grow old and die. Barring injury, accident, or illness, they do this three ways: [LIST=1] [*] They lose magic over time until they have none left and they die. This is rare, but dragons who lose magic over time tend to die early-on, after only a handful of years. A healthy dragon who wasn’t magic-deficient from birth has the potential to be critically injured magically, in which case they may begin a decline and die a few years later, the length of time depending on how much magic potential they had to start with before they began losing the ability to replenish it. [*] They maintain a consistent and healthy level of magic and their bodies are the limiting factor, aging and eventually giving out. This is considered the norm, and is health and breed-dependent. [*] They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes.[/LIST] [/quote] (from the Flight Rising Tumblr, [url=http://flightrising.tumblr.com/post/46272061972/question-and-answer-18]Question and Answer 18[/url] Now, this list is how I imagine the different dragon species stack up from longest lifespan to shortest. Dragons of comparable lifespans are listed on the same tier. [LIST=1] [*]Snappers, Guardians, Ridgebacks [*]Pearl Catchers [*]Wildclaws, Coatls [*]Nocturnes, Skydancers, Tundras, Mirrors [*]Spirals, Fae * Imperials, of course are much too variable to place. [/LIST] I'd really like to hear from you all! Either send some officially-sourced information or, you know, just tell me how you all imagine the list should go!
Hello, all!

I've been slowly hacking away at bios for all my dragons when something of note came to my attention.

I did a little digging in all usual places, but I was unable to find very much information on the different lifespans for dragons of different species from official sources. I'm certain that I can't have been the only person asking, so I was wondering if folks could direct me to where I could find the relevant information?

If not, here are some semi-educated guesses based on the small snippets I've found, generalized dragon lore and low metabolism rates of large reptiles and longevity of birds. :

Guardians:
Quote:
Question and Answer 21
Little Blue asked:The shorter question first, what counts as an adult for a Guardian? Would they have already lived one or two centuries by the time they were, about, 30 to 35 by human standards?

Guardian dragons have an average lifespan of 300 cycles, and are one of the longest lived breeds in Flight Rising. They would be considered a sub-adult by age 10, and a full adult by age 50 (between the ages of 10 and 50 guardian dragons will typically seek out their charge.) They do not reach their full adult size until they are 100.
( from the Flight Rising Tumblr, Question and Answer 21 )

So we can assume that (as a generalization) live to be about 300, considered adolescent at 10 years, maturing at 50 and reaching full-size at 100.

This is the most specific information I could find.

Imperials:
Quote:
These dragons have incredibly unpredictable lifespans. Some individuals live only a decade, while others thrive for hundreds of years.
(from the Flight Rising Encyclopedia, Imperials)

From this we can assume that Imperials have the potential to be, at once, the longest lived species and the shortest.

Another interesting snippet about dragon lifespans:
Quote:
Question and Answer 18
hopefulkiwi asked: I don’t know if this has been asked already but I was wondering do the dragons have a lifespan of some kind?

For our game purposes, dragons’ don’t die. We didn’t want for someone to get a special breed and gene combination that they worked really hard for, leveled up, RP-d with, and grew attached to, only to have it die. I know that some breeding sims have used lifespans to good effect, but we don’t feel it would enhance Flight Rising.

Lore-wise they can and do grow old and die. Barring injury, accident, or illness, they do this three ways:
  1. They lose magic over time until they have none left and they die. This is rare, but dragons who lose magic over time tend to die early-on, after only a handful of years. A healthy dragon who wasn’t magic-deficient from birth has the potential to be critically injured magically, in which case they may begin a decline and die a few years later, the length of time depending on how much magic potential they had to start with before they began losing the ability to replenish it.
  2. They maintain a consistent and healthy level of magic and their bodies are the limiting factor, aging and eventually giving out. This is considered the norm, and is health and breed-dependent.
  3. They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes.
(from the Flight Rising Tumblr, Question and Answer 18

Now, this list is how I imagine the different dragon species stack up from longest lifespan to shortest. Dragons of comparable lifespans are listed on the same tier.
  1. Snappers, Guardians, Ridgebacks
  2. Pearl Catchers
  3. Wildclaws, Coatls
  4. Nocturnes, Skydancers, Tundras, Mirrors
  5. Spirals, Fae

* Imperials, of course are much too variable to place.

I'd really like to hear from you all! Either send some officially-sourced information or, you know, just tell me how you all imagine the list should go!
Bump
Bump
This is so helpful thank you
This is so helpful thank you
Maevely
jMfomZU.png ________________ ________________
nZDKsIn.png
WvEXipG.png
hzM3Sr2.png
H0t7Ypl.png
Ok, wait, so if in that first q&a, it says guardians don't reach their full size until they're 100. In-game, dragons are fully grown at the end of their first cooldown. Guardians have a cooldown of 15 days.
therefor, 15 IRL days = 100 years in FR?
meaning every day your dragons have aged by .15 years?
(somebody make sure I did math right I'm tired)
Ok, wait, so if in that first q&a, it says guardians don't reach their full size until they're 100. In-game, dragons are fully grown at the end of their first cooldown. Guardians have a cooldown of 15 days.
therefor, 15 IRL days = 100 years in FR?
meaning every day your dragons have aged by .15 years?
(somebody make sure I did math right I'm tired)
ePOliyb.pnglAvpyOQ.pngJ7D1quC.png
UawspVz.pngdgZqX5Q.png0HBKL8H.png
Hm. I'm impressed by how hard it is to find information on this I hadn't already heard. If it's too tangential let me know and I'll delete this, but I thought it was interesting to compare dragon lifespans with the age of the world. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/help/1040788/1#post_3149688]Undel's post[/url]: [quote name="Undel" date=2014-02-23 00:22:26] The current age (shattered pillar, dragonkind born, shade returned) is less than 1000 cycles/years. For the purposes of keeping our festivals on a time-frame that's not silly, a Flight Rising year is also 365 days, but their days are ~4 hours longer than ours. The total age of the world I will need to consult the other admin on. There' some mathcraft involved and I don't remember how long the first age was off the top of my head. :-/ Looooonnnnng. [/quote] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/376#post_18318513]Q&A post[/url]: [quote name="Aequorin" date=2016-03-07 22:24:32][quote]Can you give us any information or lore about the Shade? Or hint that it may play a role again in any capacity? Or is basically retconned out of the game since the Beastclans emerged as a more normal threat for dragons. Because the Shade is a pretty big cosmic horror to just leave sulking over in the Prologue.[/quote] The Shade is still present in Sornieth and many of its creatures. Millennia have passed since the Shade was a powerful force, and over time it has to all appearances infested the flora and fauna. Many dragons believe that it is no longer the threat that it once was... others fear that neglecting to finish off this enemy will lead to destruction. [/quote] So I mention both because there seems to me to be a contradiction between 'less than 1000 years' for how long the third age has been going and 'millennia' since the Shade has been a threat. But maybe my interpretation that the Shade was last a threat when the Arcanist broke the barrier (well, at the very least the gods [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/406#post_18853808]including the Arcanist[/url] were aware that it was a superlatively bad thing to have happened) is simply mistaken. The relevance I see is that it's interesting to look at Guardian lifespans and see how, potentially, you could have Guardians whose great-great-grandparents were among the first of their kind.
Hm. I'm impressed by how hard it is to find information on this I hadn't already heard. If it's too tangential let me know and I'll delete this, but I thought it was interesting to compare dragon lifespans with the age of the world.

Undel's post:
Undel wrote on 2014-02-23:
The current age (shattered pillar, dragonkind born, shade returned) is less than 1000 cycles/years. For the purposes of keeping our festivals on a time-frame that's not silly, a Flight Rising year is also 365 days, but their days are ~4 hours longer than ours.

The total age of the world I will need to consult the other admin on. There' some mathcraft involved and I don't remember how long the first age was off the top of my head. :-/ Looooonnnnng.

Q&A post:
Aequorin wrote on 2016-03-07:
Quote:
Can you give us any information or lore about the Shade? Or hint that it may play a role again in any capacity? Or is basically retconned out of the game since the Beastclans emerged as a more normal threat for dragons. Because the Shade is a pretty big cosmic horror to just leave sulking over in the Prologue.

The Shade is still present in Sornieth and many of its creatures. Millennia have passed since the Shade was a powerful force, and over time it has to all appearances infested the flora and fauna. Many dragons believe that it is no longer the threat that it once was... others fear that neglecting to finish off this enemy will lead to destruction.

So I mention both because there seems to me to be a contradiction between 'less than 1000 years' for how long the third age has been going and 'millennia' since the Shade has been a threat. But maybe my interpretation that the Shade was last a threat when the Arcanist broke the barrier (well, at the very least the gods including the Arcanist were aware that it was a superlatively bad thing to have happened) is simply mistaken.

The relevance I see is that it's interesting to look at Guardian lifespans and see how, potentially, you could have Guardians whose great-great-grandparents were among the first of their kind.
thvaFIy.gif merrilyn_stanzascale_100_by_dragonnmr-daepisq.gif Al57MeZ.pngpczVZcg.png5VYqqm9.pngPGOToAl.png CNCiTkT.png 2uXjxgw.png
A dragon exploding from too much magic?? That is FANTASTICALLY dark!!!
A dragon exploding from too much magic?? That is FANTASTICALLY dark!!!
He/Him/His - Somber - FR+3 - Ping me if I'm needed
@NightlyWhispers
boom
@NightlyWhispers
boom
image0.gif