Back

Forum Games

Play word and forum games here.
TOPIC | [Starfall] Star Chart Studies
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
@Sorulis [img]https://i.gyazo.com/d40f17e86f43613477b06009b4824739.png[/img] [center][font = Papyrus][size= 6] The story of the Manaweed Constellation [/size][/font] The Arcanist hurried about in the Observatory, attempting to get things organized quickly as possible. The Lightweaver was visiting. "Where are the scrolls?! Someone put those telescopes away!" Even with all his limbs, he still had his claws full trying to clean the mess he and his children lived in. He hovered here and there, worrying over all the small messes that still existed. Ink blotched tables and hastily moved scrolls were a common sight in his observatory. She was here. "Hello, little brother," came her airy voice. "Ah, hello!" he greeted in turn, shoving another pile of scrolls under a table and trying to hide the ink on his claws. She blinked at him, before smiling and laughing. "As much as you try, your observatory is as chaotic as your personality." "It's not that bad!" he protested, his face warming up, though he knew she was right. There was hardly a day where an explosion wasn't happening [i]somewhere[/i] in his home. "Perhaps we should step outside?" he offered, his face twisting into an embarassed grimace at the sight she had to see. He'd [i]really[/i] prefer not to show her the rest of the inner rooms. At her approval, they both strolled out on to the deck, where an array of telescopes were arranged in no particular order, forgetting that he was carrying a bushel of manaweeds in one of his many limbs. Upon realizing, he hid it behind his back, not wanting to embarass himself further. "The stars are lovely tonight," he heard her murmur, and he hovered closer to her. "Is something wrong?" he asked worriedly, not liking the sad timbre in her voice. "Ah! Nothing. Nothing is wrong. I was just remembering how this world... used to look. You would have loved it, if you could have seen it." Her long ears drooped in her sadness. He didn't know what to say. The world she missed was not something he himself had ever had the pleasure of experiencing, though he didn't mind. He pulled out the bushel of manaweeds, glad to have them now, and picked the brightest one. He twirled it in his hands, before placing it in hers. "This world is still beautiful," he finally said. "When I can't even discover all the mysteries behind a single manaweed, I have no right to complain about wanting the old world." Before she could reply, he felt his magic pulse through him once, before surging into the manaweed and causing it to shoot into the sky in a shower of light and sparks. Some of the sparks settled, creating new stars. "...I really wish it wouldn't keep doing that," he found himself muttering. She stared at him for a few seconds more, her lips curving upwards in an amused smile. "Is that why the sky here is so heavy with stars?" "I've had a few accidents..." he grinned, sheepish.
@Sorulis

d40f17e86f43613477b06009b4824739.png

The story of the Manaweed Constellation

The Arcanist hurried about in the Observatory, attempting to get things organized quickly as possible. The Lightweaver was visiting. "Where are the scrolls?! Someone put those telescopes away!" Even with all his limbs, he still had his claws full trying to clean the mess he and his children lived in.

He hovered here and there, worrying over all the small messes that still existed. Ink blotched tables and hastily moved scrolls were a common sight in his observatory. She was here.

"Hello, little brother," came her airy voice.

"Ah, hello!" he greeted in turn, shoving another pile of scrolls under a table and trying to hide the ink on his claws.

She blinked at him, before smiling and laughing. "As much as you try, your observatory is as chaotic as your personality."

"It's not that bad!" he protested, his face warming up, though he knew she was right. There was hardly a day where an explosion wasn't happening somewhere in his home. "Perhaps we should step outside?" he offered, his face twisting into an embarassed grimace at the sight she had to see. He'd really prefer not to show her the rest of the inner rooms.

At her approval, they both strolled out on to the deck, where an array of telescopes were arranged in no particular order, forgetting that he was carrying a bushel of manaweeds in one of his many limbs. Upon realizing, he hid it behind his back, not wanting to embarass himself further.

"The stars are lovely tonight," he heard her murmur, and he hovered closer to her.

"Is something wrong?" he asked worriedly, not liking the sad timbre in her voice.

"Ah! Nothing. Nothing is wrong. I was just remembering how this world... used to look. You would have loved it, if you could have seen it." Her long ears drooped in her sadness.

He didn't know what to say. The world she missed was not something he himself had ever had the pleasure of experiencing, though he didn't mind. He pulled out the bushel of manaweeds, glad to have them now, and picked the brightest one. He twirled it in his hands, before placing it in hers. "This world is still beautiful," he finally said. "When I can't even discover all the mysteries behind a single manaweed, I have no right to complain about wanting the old world."

Before she could reply, he felt his magic pulse through him once, before surging into the manaweed and causing it to shoot into the sky in a shower of light and sparks. Some of the sparks settled, creating new stars.

"...I really wish it wouldn't keep doing that," he found himself muttering.

She stared at him for a few seconds more, her lips curving upwards in an amused smile. "Is that why the sky here is so heavy with stars?"

"I've had a few accidents..." he grinned, sheepish.
Looking for transmuters/melters! Will pay 1.5g/melt
@KuraiKarasu

Lightweaver and SpaceDad interaction was so cute ahdfkldwe.
Working on your prize pack now! ^ - ^

Edit: pinged the wrong person
@KuraiKarasu

Lightweaver and SpaceDad interaction was so cute ahdfkldwe.
Working on your prize pack now! ^ - ^

Edit: pinged the wrong person
bhg_small_by_xnedra22-d8fsyoj.png
@Sorulis

I'm glad you liked it! And thank you c:
@Sorulis

I'm glad you liked it! And thank you c:
Looking for transmuters/melters! Will pay 1.5g/melt
@xuh THAT'S THE MOST ADORABLE THING I CANNOT [quote][columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20594171][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/205942/20594171.png[/img][/url][nextcol]Itzel was strolling around the Strand, checking on the progress of the many visitors trying to put onto paper and parchment some of the rearranged constellations put together by the shifts in the sky caused by the Arcanist's curiosity before he turned all deities, including himself, into statues. She was beginning to like it as it was a relatively peaceful work amidst the chaos of the end of the world. A very little paw pulled on her chest feather cluster, not strongly enough to hurt, just enough to make her look down and meet eyes with the most wide brown eyes she's ever seen. A Spiral hatchling was handing her a scroll, quite neatly prepared. Something inside Itzel instantly flared up and her usual detached gaze softened as she picked the scroll and unrolled it. What she saw in front of her, a single connection of dots "spiralling" down, was not too surprising except for the steadiness of the line and the ink quality, not fitting for a hatchling of that age who would probably be more interested in trying to connect all stars in every possible way with a piece of coal or a pen at most, or so Itzel thought. And yet, seeing the little one being most serious about it and even being nervous about the much older Coatl judging her work, that made the corners of Itzel's mouth turn up in some kind of silent pride. She was about to open her mouth to ask what that long line was supposed to represent, when the white ink shone for a moment, revealing a more detailed depiction of a Spiral dragon. It disappeared of sight for a couple of seconds to reappear again, then disappear and appear again: a blinking image. That was magic Itzel definitely did not expect such a tiny young dragon to be able to use. She blinked a few times, looking from the paper to the little Spiral until she blurted out: [i]"That's ME!"[/i], making Itzel let out a strange noise from her throat. She rolled back the map and patted its author on the head. [i]"Of course it is, darling. Good work."[/i] She said softly. She didn't even had to check her manual, already recognizing each star on the map by that hour, it wasn't scientifically valuable, too few stars aligned compared to other works created there, but it felt heavy with sentimental value. [i]"Come with me, aunt Itzel will give you something nice for your map."[/i] [b]Epilogue:[/b] By the time Starfall had ended and they had restored all deities to their normal selves, who helped fix the Arcanist's mess and restore the world before it truly ended, Itzel was very tired, but she was able to bring back home a lot of good charts to archive for the clan scholars to study. In the den she shared with her mate, she left moft of the maps aside, picking a few of them and carefully hanging them on the walls. "The Spiral constellation" made by an adorable hatchling on the very first day of activities, was in the very center of it, and it clearly caught [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=dragon&id=212705&did=14469483]Millie[/url]'s attention right away. [i]"Ohhh that's crafty."[/i] she commented on the still-blinking drawing, fluent in Coatl languague as Itzel herself. [i]"Who made this one?"[/i] [i]"Our adopted child"[/i] Itzel answered flatly. [i]"........WHAT?"[/i][/quote]
@xuh

THAT'S THE MOST ADORABLE THING I CANNOT

Quote:
20594171.png Itzel was strolling around the Strand, checking on the progress of the many visitors trying to put onto paper and parchment some of the rearranged constellations put together by the shifts in the sky caused by the Arcanist's curiosity before he turned all deities, including himself, into statues. She was beginning to like it as it was a relatively peaceful work amidst the chaos of the end of the world.

A very little paw pulled on her chest feather cluster, not strongly enough to hurt, just enough to make her look down and meet eyes with the most wide brown eyes she's ever seen. A Spiral hatchling was handing her a scroll, quite neatly prepared. Something inside Itzel instantly flared up and her usual detached gaze softened as she picked the scroll and unrolled it.

What she saw in front of her, a single connection of dots "spiralling" down, was not too surprising except for the steadiness of the line and the ink quality, not fitting for a hatchling of that age who would probably be more interested in trying to connect all stars in every possible way with a piece of coal or a pen at most, or so Itzel thought. And yet, seeing the little one being most serious about it and even being nervous about the much older Coatl judging her work, that made the corners of Itzel's mouth turn up in some kind of silent pride.

She was about to open her mouth to ask what that long line was supposed to represent, when the white ink shone for a moment, revealing a more detailed depiction of a Spiral dragon. It disappeared of sight for a couple of seconds to reappear again, then disappear and appear again: a blinking image. That was magic Itzel definitely did not expect such a tiny young dragon to be able to use.

She blinked a few times, looking from the paper to the little Spiral until she blurted out: "That's ME!", making Itzel let out a strange noise from her throat. She rolled back the map and patted its author on the head. "Of course it is, darling. Good work." She said softly. She didn't even had to check her manual, already recognizing each star on the map by that hour, it wasn't scientifically valuable, too few stars aligned compared to other works created there, but it felt heavy with sentimental value. "Come with me, aunt Itzel will give you something nice for your map."

Epilogue: By the time Starfall had ended and they had restored all deities to their normal selves, who helped fix the Arcanist's mess and restore the world before it truly ended, Itzel was very tired, but she was able to bring back home a lot of good charts to archive for the clan scholars to study. In the den she shared with her mate, she left moft of the maps aside, picking a few of them and carefully hanging them on the walls.

"The Spiral constellation" made by an adorable hatchling on the very first day of activities, was in the very center of it, and it clearly caught Millie's attention right away. "Ohhh that's crafty." she commented on the still-blinking drawing, fluent in Coatl languague as Itzel herself. "Who made this one?"

"Our adopted child" Itzel answered flatly.

"........WHAT?"
Yy6exMZ.png
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2WV8Hjt.gif[/img]
2WV8Hjt.gif
bhg_small_by_xnedra22-d8fsyoj.png
AHHHH!!! It's the return of my favorite event from last yearrrrr!!!! <3

@nielybh
2l8eouv.png
The Mantarune
Dragons aren't the only ones who find constalations in the night sky! The Mantarune is a constelation first spotted by a tribe of Maren. While it was named after the creature that shared their habitat, this particular Mantarune was believed to swallow the moon when it went down, due to it's position in the sky nearby. As the night progresses, it seems almost as if the creature is chasing after it until they both disappear below the horizon.

Unfortunately, it's because of this legend that hatchlings who don't know better and dragons who don't respect the Maren may also refer to this constellation as the Moonrune or Mantamoon.
AHHHH!!! It's the return of my favorite event from last yearrrrr!!!! <3

@nielybh
2l8eouv.png
The Mantarune
Dragons aren't the only ones who find constalations in the night sky! The Mantarune is a constelation first spotted by a tribe of Maren. While it was named after the creature that shared their habitat, this particular Mantarune was believed to swallow the moon when it went down, due to it's position in the sky nearby. As the night progresses, it seems almost as if the creature is chasing after it until they both disappear below the horizon.

Unfortunately, it's because of this legend that hatchlings who don't know better and dragons who don't respect the Maren may also refer to this constellation as the Moonrune or Mantamoon.
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
this looks amazing. Is there a ping list for when new charts will be uploaded?
this looks amazing. Is there a ping list for when new charts will be uploaded?
8EDULPG.png78U0Gge.png
@Sorulis [img]http://i.imgur.com/9A07I1r.jpg[/img] [b]The Bat[/b] It is said that cursed bats once played among the stars, but are now fated to never fly so high again. This is all that remains.
@Sorulis

9A07I1r.jpg

The Bat

It is said that cursed bats once played among the stars, but are now fated to never fly so high again. This is all that remains.
@Eialyne

That's really cool, maybe the Mantarune is constantly trying to eat the moon because it is actually made of cheese.

Because it is, right?
@Eialyne

That's really cool, maybe the Mantarune is constantly trying to eat the moon because it is actually made of cheese.

Because it is, right?
Yy6exMZ.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17499267] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/174993/17499267.png[/img] [/url] [size=2]Perched high in one of the Isle's trees sat a young mulberry and purple colored fae, her tiny excited hands scribbling away on a piece of parchment, pointing her head to the stars every few seconds before making a swift mark. Upon the scroll were various spots and lines, the markings of a new constellation, of which its existence is courtesy of the Arcanist. She sat and pondered a bit before remembering a story her mother used to tell her. Now she would tell her version of it.[/size] [img]http://i.imgur.com/sBTV0Nl.png[/img] [b]The Java Sparrow[/b] [i]A bird who wanted to soar with the stars.[/i] Perched on a crystallized oak just outside the Observatory, a young Java Sparrow sat gazing up at the stars, a wondrous, but longing look in her eyes. Many nights ago, a dream had stirred her heart, a dream where she had touched the stars. Feeling their celestial caress had been such a beautiful experience, but she did not have the dream again. Days passed, but her desire to relive her experience only grew. Eventually, she decided to try something daring. No other sparrow had ever attempted such a feat. She would fly up to the stars herself. Her first try was most unsuccessful. She rose as high as her little wings would allow her, but she soon fell back to Sorneith, landing in the Arcanist's Manaweed garden, exhausted. She would not be defeated, however, and took flight the next day from atop the Observatory, the highest point she could find. Even from there, the stars still looked so far away, but she was sure she was closer now. That fact alone urged her to keep flying, until she finally began to descend, completely out of breath, and passed out in front of the Eye of Many Lenses. The next morning, she thought about her Zephyr cousins and how they often flew so high that they passed out from lack of oxygen. Her cousins' plight made her endeavor seem hopeless, but she wasn't ready to give up just yet. Her mother had always told her that if she kept at whatever she was doing, she, within time, would succeed. She was confident that with practice, she could outshine the Zephyr Sparrows and make her dream a reality. At first, she seemed to be gaining more height each day she flew. Excitement welled up within her. It was working! She could feel the stars calling her more the closer she got. But one day she noticed that the stars were no longer getting closer. She had reached a height so great that the Observatory was but a tiny speck below her. By now she was used to the ever-moonlit sky and the clouds rolling beneath her, and had occasionally taken the time to frolic in the soft light, but playtime would not satisfy her now. She had to try harder than ever! The little sparrow beat her wings again and again, but no matter how hard she tried, she could not reach the stars. Finally, she gave a disgruntled sigh and returned to Sorneith and rested upon the crystal oak. Perhaps she would give another try tomorrow, but her dream was beginning to feel like nothing more than that: a dream. The following evening brought with it a full moon, as well as a magical presence. The Arcanist himself and several of his apprentices were hurrying along to set up some equipment in preparation for a field study. As they approached the oak were the Java Sparrow sat sulking, one clumsy apprentice tripped over his own whiskers and, as if they were dominoes, toppled each apprentice and eventually the Arcanist unceremoniously over him into a heap. Their scrolls and research materials scattered and sprayed as they fell. One tiny vial, tightly capped, crashed to the ground and shattered, releasing its contents in a fine dusting of a silvery glittering powder that coated everyone, including the sparrow. Startled by the sudden downpour of glitter dust, she flapped her wings in a frenzy that lifted her upwards a fair bit before she realized she was fine, other than feeling a little odd, light-headed even. The longer the powder stayed on her, the more she felt the urge to fly. Giving in to desire, she rose up, fully invigorated, faster than she had before. Her body felt weightless, as if gravity no longer applied to her. Her wings carried her higher and higher; the Observatory was quickly diminishing from view, and all of the Starfall Isles as well. She had far surpassed her previous limit. The stars were incrementally increasing in size in her eyes as she raced upwards towards her goal. Suddenly her body began to change, becoming semi-transparent, the powder fusing to her feathers and leaving a sparkling trail in her wake. She no longer felt the burden of breath on her chest. Sorneith soon disappeared from view behind her as she disappeared into the cosmos. She was finally soaring among the stars. Back on Sorneith, the Arcanist had witnessed the entire spectacle. A shooting star had not raced across the sky, but had appeared and shot straight upwards from the land. He was extremely intrigued by the phenomenon and decided that further research was required, although he muttered something about needing to obtain another sample of stardust. ----- [size=2]Rita's quick scribbling finally came to a halt. She sat back and closed her eyes, remembering every detail of her journey. Of course she had never really made it out to space, but her clan was astounded by the heights she could truly achieve. Her parents were so proud of her, and that was as good as touching the stars to her.[/size] @Treesponge

17499267.png

Perched high in one of the Isle's trees sat a young mulberry and purple colored fae, her tiny excited hands scribbling away on a piece of parchment, pointing her head to the stars every few seconds before making a swift mark.

Upon the scroll were various spots and lines, the markings of a new constellation, of which its existence is courtesy of the Arcanist. She sat and pondered a bit before remembering a story her mother used to tell her. Now she would tell her version of it.

sBTV0Nl.png

The Java Sparrow
A bird who wanted to soar with the stars.

Perched on a crystallized oak just outside the Observatory, a young Java Sparrow sat gazing up at the stars, a wondrous, but longing look in her eyes. Many nights ago, a dream had stirred her heart, a dream where she had touched the stars. Feeling their celestial caress had been such a beautiful experience, but she did not have the dream again. Days passed, but her desire to relive her experience only grew. Eventually, she decided to try something daring. No other sparrow had ever attempted such a feat.

She would fly up to the stars herself.

Her first try was most unsuccessful. She rose as high as her little wings would allow her, but she soon fell back to Sorneith, landing in the Arcanist's Manaweed garden, exhausted. She would not be defeated, however, and took flight the next day from atop the Observatory, the highest point she could find. Even from there, the stars still looked so far away, but she was sure she was closer now. That fact alone urged her to keep flying, until she finally began to descend, completely out of breath, and passed out in front of the Eye of Many Lenses. The next morning, she thought about her Zephyr cousins and how they often flew so high that they passed out from lack of oxygen. Her cousins' plight made her endeavor seem hopeless, but she wasn't ready to give up just yet. Her mother had always told her that if she kept at whatever she was doing, she, within time, would succeed. She was confident that with practice, she could outshine the Zephyr Sparrows and make her dream a reality.

At first, she seemed to be gaining more height each day she flew. Excitement welled up within her. It was working! She could feel the stars calling her more the closer she got. But one day she noticed that the stars were no longer getting closer. She had reached a height so great that the Observatory was but a tiny speck below her. By now she was used to the ever-moonlit sky and the clouds rolling beneath her, and had occasionally taken the time to frolic in the soft light, but playtime would not satisfy her now. She had to try harder than ever! The little sparrow beat her wings again and again, but no matter how hard she tried, she could not reach the stars.

Finally, she gave a disgruntled sigh and returned to Sorneith and rested upon the crystal oak. Perhaps she would give another try tomorrow, but her dream was beginning to feel like nothing more than that: a dream.

The following evening brought with it a full moon, as well as a magical presence. The Arcanist himself and several of his apprentices were hurrying along to set up some equipment in preparation for a field study. As they approached the oak were the Java Sparrow sat sulking, one clumsy apprentice tripped over his own whiskers and, as if they were dominoes, toppled each apprentice and eventually the Arcanist unceremoniously over him into a heap. Their scrolls and research materials scattered and sprayed as they fell. One tiny vial, tightly capped, crashed to the ground and shattered, releasing its contents in a fine dusting of a silvery glittering powder that coated everyone, including the sparrow. Startled by the sudden downpour of glitter dust, she flapped her wings in a frenzy that lifted her upwards a fair bit before she realized she was fine, other than feeling a little odd, light-headed even.

The longer the powder stayed on her, the more she felt the urge to fly. Giving in to desire, she rose up, fully invigorated, faster than she had before. Her body felt weightless, as if gravity no longer applied to her. Her wings carried her higher and higher; the Observatory was quickly diminishing from view, and all of the Starfall Isles as well. She had far surpassed her previous limit. The stars were incrementally increasing in size in her eyes as she raced upwards towards her goal. Suddenly her body began to change, becoming semi-transparent, the powder fusing to her feathers and leaving a sparkling trail in her wake. She no longer felt the burden of breath on her chest. Sorneith soon disappeared from view behind her as she disappeared into the cosmos.

She was finally soaring among the stars.

Back on Sorneith, the Arcanist had witnessed the entire spectacle. A shooting star had not raced across the sky, but had appeared and shot straight upwards from the land. He was extremely intrigued by the phenomenon and decided that further research was required, although he muttered something about needing to obtain another sample of stardust.

Rita's quick scribbling finally came to a halt. She sat back and closed her eyes, remembering every detail of her journey. Of course she had never really made it out to space, but her clan was astounded by the heights she could truly achieve. Her parents were so proud of her, and that was as good as touching the stars to her.

@Treesponge
aaaaaaaaa
RdVh6mS.png
aa
Naomi ~ she/they ~ FR +3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Music Share | Wishlist
Art Shop | Hatchery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Writing noughts till the end of time...
Meet me where the cliffs greet the sea. ~
aa GdA4c8j.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12