Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Tarot art - 4 swords
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Feel free to ping me in the future!

That is a good point about the knapsack, I'd say keep it for now and then reevaluate when you have more of the other cards figured out. I'm definitely interested to see how your deck evolves!

As for the hanged man, the initial imagery is there -- and it is a card about letting go, making sacrifices, pausing to reflect on the past and present, and reversing course. Very much a paradoxical card, I think that it's appropriate.

I think the numbers will be just fine -- I've never seen a tarot deck with the majors in a different order, personally, but lots of oracle decks switch things around all the time lol

So, the emperor is all about order, authority, structure, father-like energies, and regulation. I think you're on the right track, maybe leaning into the straight lines for strict order as far as the rocks/crown? The empress is kind of the opposites attract to the emperor card: organic, abundance, mother-like energies, nature and all its beautiful unorganized chaos, and leaning into the senses rather than following the rules strictly to the letter. Love the flowing lines and water/tree theme she has going on :)

I think you hit the nail on the head with temperance. Balance and being centered is a big theme of that card, as is being measured and thoughtful, calm and composed but still strong. There's also the concept of combining forces within oneself and also doing the same in an external sense. Enjoying health or going through recovery are secondary themes, which goes well with the water aspect of the art you've done.
Feel free to ping me in the future!

That is a good point about the knapsack, I'd say keep it for now and then reevaluate when you have more of the other cards figured out. I'm definitely interested to see how your deck evolves!

As for the hanged man, the initial imagery is there -- and it is a card about letting go, making sacrifices, pausing to reflect on the past and present, and reversing course. Very much a paradoxical card, I think that it's appropriate.

I think the numbers will be just fine -- I've never seen a tarot deck with the majors in a different order, personally, but lots of oracle decks switch things around all the time lol

So, the emperor is all about order, authority, structure, father-like energies, and regulation. I think you're on the right track, maybe leaning into the straight lines for strict order as far as the rocks/crown? The empress is kind of the opposites attract to the emperor card: organic, abundance, mother-like energies, nature and all its beautiful unorganized chaos, and leaning into the senses rather than following the rules strictly to the letter. Love the flowing lines and water/tree theme she has going on :)

I think you hit the nail on the head with temperance. Balance and being centered is a big theme of that card, as is being measured and thoughtful, calm and composed but still strong. There's also the concept of combining forces within oneself and also doing the same in an external sense. Enjoying health or going through recovery are secondary themes, which goes well with the water aspect of the art you've done.
@TheWinterBard - Thank you so much for taking the time to give me feedback! I may redraw the emperor card but gosh darn it I really like how that rams head turned out. I'm glad the temperance card works. I was going off the idea of making something that invoked the idea of the yin and yang symbol and thought it fit, but now I'm not sure...I guess yin and yang is more about the idea of "opposite forces that are actually complimentary". Or maybe that does fit. I'm pretty new to this. :P But I do think the image as it currently is is nuanced enough that it doesn't necessary have to be related to yin and yang. I guess I'm just trying to decide if I want to "lean in" to that idea or not when I work on it more. Justice [img]https://i.imgur.com/SpIPHRd.png[/img] Originally I was going to use this deer for the emperor card but I liked the imagery of the scales hanging from his antlers, and the idea of the antlers substituting as the sword. I could draw his front foot planted on the ground to give him a firmer, more "rooted" appearance but I thought having it lifted filled out that empty space well. I put a sort of sound block under his raised hoof, hopefully invoking the idea of a judge's hammer and gavel.
@TheWinterBard - Thank you so much for taking the time to give me feedback! I may redraw the emperor card but gosh darn it I really like how that rams head turned out.
I'm glad the temperance card works. I was going off the idea of making something that invoked the idea of the yin and yang symbol and thought it fit, but now I'm not sure...I guess yin and yang is more about the idea of "opposite forces that are actually complimentary". Or maybe that does fit. I'm pretty new to this. :P
But I do think the image as it currently is is nuanced enough that it doesn't necessary have to be related to yin and yang. I guess I'm just trying to decide if I want to "lean in" to that idea or not when I work on it more.

Justice

SpIPHRd.png

Originally I was going to use this deer for the emperor card but I liked the imagery of the scales hanging from his antlers, and the idea of the antlers substituting as the sword. I could draw his front foot planted on the ground to give him a firmer, more "rooted" appearance but I thought having it lifted filled out that empty space well. I put a sort of sound block under his raised hoof, hopefully invoking the idea of a judge's hammer and gavel.
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
@Relzo not ignoring you -- been along day, I can elaborate some more tomorrow <3 I think that keeping the rams head works, just some of the background rocks/elements could change to look less organic is all

The deer is really cool! The scales are usually associated with the Judgement card, so that might be a cool one to keep around for later!

And I'd say that temperance has similarities to yin and yang, it's kinda like looking at the two extremes and finding the center and the balance
@Relzo not ignoring you -- been along day, I can elaborate some more tomorrow <3 I think that keeping the rams head works, just some of the background rocks/elements could change to look less organic is all

The deer is really cool! The scales are usually associated with the Judgement card, so that might be a cool one to keep around for later!

And I'd say that temperance has similarities to yin and yang, it's kinda like looking at the two extremes and finding the center and the balance
@TheWinterBard Was busy with work so couldn't get much done, but definitely didn't forget about this. Concepts for the Priestess Card. I think I'm going to go with one of the cats, and use the owl for the Magician Card. [img]https://i.imgur.com/wSI8jjR.png[/img] I also have an idea for The Tower card that I'm excited about. But I should probably start outlining and coloring some of these now.
@TheWinterBard

Was busy with work so couldn't get much done, but definitely didn't forget about this.

Concepts for the Priestess Card. I think I'm going to go with one of the cats, and use the owl for the Magician Card.
wSI8jjR.png

I also have an idea for The Tower card that I'm excited about. But I should probably start outlining and coloring some of these now.
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
Hi! I don't have any real experience in tarot, but I will say that from a design point of view, they look absolutely stunning! I adore the stylisation of them ^^
My one nit-pick is that the cards do not have their names anywhere on them. It may mean that anyone with less experience with tarot, or possibly anybody who is unused to this particular deck, would find it harder to identify the cards. I doubt it would be too much fo a problem once the user is used to the deck/the numbers, just something I noticed.
Other than that though, I cannot find a single critique :)
Hi! I don't have any real experience in tarot, but I will say that from a design point of view, they look absolutely stunning! I adore the stylisation of them ^^
My one nit-pick is that the cards do not have their names anywhere on them. It may mean that anyone with less experience with tarot, or possibly anybody who is unused to this particular deck, would find it harder to identify the cards. I doubt it would be too much fo a problem once the user is used to the deck/the numbers, just something I noticed.
Other than that though, I cannot find a single critique :)
y6Tz96p.pngFObX7rS.pngy6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
@CatInDisguise - Thank you! ^^
I was a bit worried about not having the names on the cards. But I'm also reluctant to take away available space for the images. I'll see what I can do....
@CatInDisguise - Thank you! ^^
I was a bit worried about not having the names on the cards. But I'm also reluctant to take away available space for the images. I'll see what I can do....
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
@Relzo It wouldn't need to be much. Even something small like this would suffice. [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/807668841039396908/829635056750428200/JXSKsDH.png[/img]
@Relzo
It wouldn't need to be much. Even something small like this would suffice.
JXSKsDH.png
y6Tz96p.pngFObX7rS.pngy6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
Emperor card so far. Sloppy coloring and no shading yet cause I'm still messing with the colors and it's not finished, though I think I will go with something close to this. Most of the linework is straighter than before to reflect the rigidity of the meaning of the card, though I couldn't quite bring myself to get rid of the smooth horn and cloud lines. I'm considering making the ram black... [img]https://i.imgur.com/gWWpIx7.png[/img] Also Justice card so far, also not yet done so it looks pretty sloppy right now... [img]https://i.imgur.com/arh7hRH.png[/img] @CatInDisguise - The top would probably be the perfect place to put the title since I often seem to have extra room there. If I go with that I will likely switch it so the number is at the top and the title at the bottom?
Emperor card so far. Sloppy coloring and no shading yet cause I'm still messing with the colors and it's not finished, though I think I will go with something close to this. Most of the linework is straighter than before to reflect the rigidity of the meaning of the card, though I couldn't quite bring myself to get rid of the smooth horn and cloud lines. I'm considering making the ram black...

gWWpIx7.png

Also Justice card so far, also not yet done so it looks pretty sloppy right now...
arh7hRH.png

@CatInDisguise - The top would probably be the perfect place to put the title since I often seem to have extra room there. If I go with that I will likely switch it so the number is at the top and the title at the bottom?
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
Haven't forgotten! Been busy and something IRL came up :/ but I'll be back soon!
Haven't forgotten! Been busy and something IRL came up :/ but I'll be back soon!
@TheWinterBard - That's ok! There's no rush at all. :) The top two are competing ideas for the tower card. I got the idea for the falcon card from the first few lines in Yeats' Second Coming poem: Turning and turning in the widening gyre The falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world And then the outline for the empress card so far. [img]https://i.imgur.com/sDKmBui.png[/img]
@TheWinterBard - That's ok! There's no rush at all. :)

The top two are competing ideas for the tower card. I got the idea for the falcon card from the first few lines in Yeats' Second Coming poem:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

And then the outline for the empress card so far.
sDKmBui.png
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8