Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | free art advice, from moi
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35 36
@deermary - Do you have any other examples? This is a nice Skydancer, and I do like how the Circuit has been rendered, but I do find it difficult to price with only one dragon to look at.
@deermary - Do you have any other examples? This is a nice Skydancer, and I do like how the Circuit has been rendered, but I do find it difficult to price with only one dragon to look at.
Dear IKTR: Fandragons are in my den! Sometimes there's a few stragglers in my lair.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
@StormCaleum Re: banners - Generally speaking, closeups get people's attention, because (a) detail, and (b) people are immediately curious to see the full image, especially if they can recognize the character just from the closeup. I always found eyes staring out of banners a bit creepy myself, but wings and tails and mouths always got my attention, if that helps much. Re: the new digital painting, I just scribbled my thoughts all over it, haha. I do think it's better than the last one, though! The light seems to be much more directed, but now you need to think about stuff like hands and the blanket wrinkles blocking out the light. From what I can tell, there are clear rays in the top right, but the blanket and some of the characters are lit as though there were a light directly above them. My edits are for restricting the picture to just the top right light source, because I feel that was the intention here. [img]https://i.imgur.com/UQYUJOe.jpg[/img] It may help to draw out the light direction at the start of the piece with lines under your lineart, and work out from there what is blocking the light rays and where. Once a ray's path is blocked, it bounces in another direction, and doesn't resume its old path after the block ends. I couldn't find a way of pointing it out properly on the picture, but you've only used white highlights here. Some materials reflect more light than others, and they can even reflect different colours! Silk sheets reflect much more light than cotton sheets, for instance, and may even show white highlights. [img]https://i.imgur.com/58Pn8dc.png[/img] Cotton, on the other hand, has much more subtle highlights, and deeper shadows, because it reflects less light. [img]https://www.adairs.com.au/globalassets/catalogue/bedroom/sheets/31953_nviolet/31953_nviolet_zoom_1.jpg[/img] Meanwhile, skin typically doesn't reflect lots of white light (so the highlights are softer) - unless someone is wearing lots of makeup, or their skin is wet, or if the light is super harsh. Here are some pictures of pop stars - look at how different lights reflect differently off the different materials in their outfits (sequins vs cotton vs leather, etc), as well as their hair and their skin. [img]https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/pop-star-ranking/img/pop-star-ranking-2020-11-facebook.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.goldderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/taylor-swift.jpg[/img] Aaaand then there's coloured light - which behaves differently to white light. Coloured light is absorbed almost completely into objects of the same colour, and so doesn't reflect where white light might. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/6e/dd/cb6edd5fb612f28721f32b76e7353d83.jpg[/img] [img]https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/11/09/arts/09popcast/merlin_169233297_9c18144b-7e17-4893-a1aa-c294cd7637fd-superJumbo.jpg[/img] If you can't tell, I love painting light. ;P Studying pop star pics has helped me a lot, that and Eurovision performances where you get to see a given outfit under lots of different lights from different angles. (You generally wanna look at performances where they aren't running all over the stage, though, and the light source/s are visible - stuff like [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dmlXBBC6J8]Storm[/url], [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40kVKIoPvE]Beauty Never Lies[/url], [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaolVEJEjV4]Rise Like A Phoenix[/url], [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoiCyP4Bkg]Light Me Up[/url], [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsx_dIJOtgI]Goodbye to Yesterday[/url], etc, etc. Look for filler lights (used to block in faces and stop people from turning into silhouettes), spotlights, ringlights, and backlights as well as regular ol' lights.) When studying this kinda light, I also found it was kinda important to try and avoid pictures or videos where the light isn't strong, or the source isn't clear. For instance, [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6e1TmYb33w]this heavy metal act[/url] is full of flashing lights, flares, and multiple coloured light sources, and thanks to the speedy camera cutting, it's often unclear where on stage he's actually standing. Your mileage may vary, but I usually start a study by doodling all over a screenshot, like [url=https://i.imgur.com/zkkZez6.jpg]this[/url]. It just helps me see things.
@StormCaleum

Re: banners - Generally speaking, closeups get people's attention, because (a) detail, and (b) people are immediately curious to see the full image, especially if they can recognize the character just from the closeup. I always found eyes staring out of banners a bit creepy myself, but wings and tails and mouths always got my attention, if that helps much.

Re: the new digital painting, I just scribbled my thoughts all over it, haha. I do think it's better than the last one, though! The light seems to be much more directed, but now you need to think about stuff like hands and the blanket wrinkles blocking out the light. From what I can tell, there are clear rays in the top right, but the blanket and some of the characters are lit as though there were a light directly above them. My edits are for restricting the picture to just the top right light source, because I feel that was the intention here.

UQYUJOe.jpg

It may help to draw out the light direction at the start of the piece with lines under your lineart, and work out from there what is blocking the light rays and where. Once a ray's path is blocked, it bounces in another direction, and doesn't resume its old path after the block ends.

I couldn't find a way of pointing it out properly on the picture, but you've only used white highlights here. Some materials reflect more light than others, and they can even reflect different colours! Silk sheets reflect much more light than cotton sheets, for instance, and may even show white highlights.

58Pn8dc.png

Cotton, on the other hand, has much more subtle highlights, and deeper shadows, because it reflects less light.

31953_nviolet_zoom_1.jpg

Meanwhile, skin typically doesn't reflect lots of white light (so the highlights are softer) - unless someone is wearing lots of makeup, or their skin is wet, or if the light is super harsh. Here are some pictures of pop stars - look at how different lights reflect differently off the different materials in their outfits (sequins vs cotton vs leather, etc), as well as their hair and their skin.

pop-star-ranking-2020-11-facebook.jpg

taylor-swift.jpg

Aaaand then there's coloured light - which behaves differently to white light. Coloured light is absorbed almost completely into objects of the same colour, and so doesn't reflect where white light might.

cb6edd5fb612f28721f32b76e7353d83.jpg

merlin_169233297_9c18144b-7e17-4893-a1aa-c294cd7637fd-superJumbo.jpg

If you can't tell, I love painting light. ;P

Studying pop star pics has helped me a lot, that and Eurovision performances where you get to see a given outfit under lots of different lights from different angles. (You generally wanna look at performances where they aren't running all over the stage, though, and the light source/s are visible - stuff like Storm, Beauty Never Lies, Rise Like A Phoenix, Light Me Up, Goodbye to Yesterday, etc, etc. Look for filler lights (used to block in faces and stop people from turning into silhouettes), spotlights, ringlights, and backlights as well as regular ol' lights.)

When studying this kinda light, I also found it was kinda important to try and avoid pictures or videos where the light isn't strong, or the source isn't clear. For instance, this heavy metal act is full of flashing lights, flares, and multiple coloured light sources, and thanks to the speedy camera cutting, it's often unclear where on stage he's actually standing.

Your mileage may vary, but I usually start a study by doodling all over a screenshot, like this. It just helps me see things.
Dear IKTR: Fandragons are in my den! Sometimes there's a few stragglers in my lair.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
@Spooner nope, thanks tho.
@Spooner nope, thanks tho.
UL6ZN.gif
@Spooner - Bugging you again since I touched up my sales thread and I do think it looks much better and was wondering if you could give it another look. I bumped up the examples and made them full images, and divided them by style. I cut down on a lot of the text but I realize that there are parts that are still a bit heavy, but hopefully not too much so. I put a lot into the T&C because I'm taking real money and I just want to cover myself. And I can be a bit paranoid.

I added a few more tiers, and bumped up some of the prices. I also added "graphic illustrations" like this as an option which I'm a bit unsure of. I feel that I'm good at it and enjoy doing it but I realize that it is very different from all my other stuff.

I also wanted to ask if, when doing paypal payments, do you usually get an invoice from the artist back? Or do they just give you their email, you pay it and that is that? I've never taken payment via paypal before and I don't use it much.

Thank you for reading my giant essays and putting so much thought into your responses. :)
@Spooner - Bugging you again since I touched up my sales thread and I do think it looks much better and was wondering if you could give it another look. I bumped up the examples and made them full images, and divided them by style. I cut down on a lot of the text but I realize that there are parts that are still a bit heavy, but hopefully not too much so. I put a lot into the T&C because I'm taking real money and I just want to cover myself. And I can be a bit paranoid.

I added a few more tiers, and bumped up some of the prices. I also added "graphic illustrations" like this as an option which I'm a bit unsure of. I feel that I'm good at it and enjoy doing it but I realize that it is very different from all my other stuff.

I also wanted to ask if, when doing paypal payments, do you usually get an invoice from the artist back? Or do they just give you their email, you pay it and that is that? I've never taken payment via paypal before and I don't use it much.

Thank you for reading my giant essays and putting so much thought into your responses. :)
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
@Relzo - Because of paypal's fees with converting currency etc, I typically ask that the artist sends me the invoice to my paypal email. I've done it the other way round, but when I do, I typically end up getting hit with fees, so. I'm in Australia, so my currency (AUD) doesn't match most of the world. And yeah, you've done a lot of work here for sure! Lemme give it a poke. [quote=Starting from the Top, Once More] - Lots of good things here, for sure. The banner in particular looks much nicer imo, though personally I'd either move the 'art sales' part downward so it doesn't cover the feet, ooooor I'd look at removing the white foggy stuff around the words. (Because the words are outlined, they should stand out already without need for the fog). - I've never been a big fan of intros, so take this with salt, buuuuut the opening blurb ([i]Hello and Welcome to my shop[/i], etc) definitely has some passages you don't actually need. For instance, 'Look below for examples of my work and commission information' is irrelevant, because... most shops are going to have examples of their work and commission information under their banner, and if they don't, something has gone wrong. - The blurb states 'Also feel free to browse my deviantart gallery', and then doesn't link the deviantart right there, but then links a deviantart several lines later; it's just redundant and confusing for anyone skimming the thread. Personally, I would remove this whole line, and place a link to your art dump just under where you have your discord and dA links. :0 - There's no need for a contents page! You can't really link to the topics, rendering it useless navigation-wise, and the length of the contents page is just extending the thread, which is the opposite of what we're going for. - The examples are a lot better now - I like that the images are big, and that there's many more of them. What needs to happen now is that the prices need to go right where you have your tier name. Think of your commissions shop as like a menu - prices go right next to Tasty Burger Image, they don't go under twenty different burger options. - Some people put prices under the images of a tier, but because you have multiple large images, I recommend putting them above. For instance: [quote=an attempt] [center]*********** [size=6]~Chibi~[/size] Headshot: 10+ USD Fullbody: 20+ USD [img]https://i.imgur.com/dWuDOpC.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/2pa3SJ8.png[/img] [/center] [/quote] - Note how I grouped the chibi options for headshot and fullbody together. This is because chibi is a category, and headshot/fullbody are the suboptions. In your current sheet, you're categorizing the examples by chibi/semirealistic/etc, but then categorizing the prices by headshot/fullbody/etc, which is gonna throw people. You want your prices to be as easy to negotiate as possible. - Weird little thing to point out, but I dunno if the font you picked for the Examples and Pricing banners is the best choice. It's very thin (I missed it several times when scrolling up and down your thread!) and it doesn't bear resemblance to what's on your main banner. Have you tried using the white font from your main banner here? [/quote] Oh, and DM incoming about something else.
@Relzo - Because of paypal's fees with converting currency etc, I typically ask that the artist sends me the invoice to my paypal email. I've done it the other way round, but when I do, I typically end up getting hit with fees, so. I'm in Australia, so my currency (AUD) doesn't match most of the world.

And yeah, you've done a lot of work here for sure! Lemme give it a poke.
Starting from the Top, Once More wrote:

- Lots of good things here, for sure. The banner in particular looks much nicer imo, though personally I'd either move the 'art sales' part downward so it doesn't cover the feet, ooooor I'd look at removing the white foggy stuff around the words. (Because the words are outlined, they should stand out already without need for the fog).

- I've never been a big fan of intros, so take this with salt, buuuuut the opening blurb (Hello and Welcome to my shop, etc) definitely has some passages you don't actually need. For instance, 'Look below for examples of my work and commission information' is irrelevant, because... most shops are going to have examples of their work and commission information under their banner, and if they don't, something has gone wrong.

- The blurb states 'Also feel free to browse my deviantart gallery', and then doesn't link the deviantart right there, but then links a deviantart several lines later; it's just redundant and confusing for anyone skimming the thread. Personally, I would remove this whole line, and place a link to your art dump just under where you have your discord and dA links. :0

- There's no need for a contents page! You can't really link to the topics, rendering it useless navigation-wise, and the length of the contents page is just extending the thread, which is the opposite of what we're going for.

- The examples are a lot better now - I like that the images are big, and that there's many more of them. What needs to happen now is that the prices need to go right where you have your tier name. Think of your commissions shop as like a menu - prices go right next to Tasty Burger Image, they don't go under twenty different burger options.

- Some people put prices under the images of a tier, but because you have multiple large images, I recommend putting them above. For instance:
an attempt wrote:
~Chibi~

Headshot: 10+ USD
Fullbody: 20+ USD

dWuDOpC.png
2pa3SJ8.png

- Note how I grouped the chibi options for headshot and fullbody together. This is because chibi is a category, and headshot/fullbody are the suboptions. In your current sheet, you're categorizing the examples by chibi/semirealistic/etc, but then categorizing the prices by headshot/fullbody/etc, which is gonna throw people. You want your prices to be as easy to negotiate as possible.

- Weird little thing to point out, but I dunno if the font you picked for the Examples and Pricing banners is the best choice. It's very thin (I missed it several times when scrolling up and down your thread!) and it doesn't bear resemblance to what's on your main banner. Have you tried using the white font from your main banner here?

Oh, and DM incoming about something else.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
I would really appreciate some feedback on my art shop layout! The end gets kind of crowded because I ran out of posts on the front page and didn't reserve any on the second like a fool, and some of my vertical examples don't align, but anyway - if you can think of a way to disperse the information better so that it all fits on the first page... I'll take any advice I can for the future! Thank you!
I would really appreciate some feedback on my art shop layout! The end gets kind of crowded because I ran out of posts on the front page and didn't reserve any on the second like a fool, and some of my vertical examples don't align, but anyway - if you can think of a way to disperse the information better so that it all fits on the first page... I'll take any advice I can for the future! Thank you!
and if i had wheels, i'd be a wagon
@Adrenaline - Given the preamble, I really thought I was gonna hit a text wall and have my work cut out for me. No such thing - you've just splintered your thread into too many subsections, is all! Which I think is better than having too much info - you don't have to look at changing so much. And it does make my job easier as far as the advice thing goes, so thankyou for that. :) [quote=Squishing the Shop] - Firstly, a small word of advice - if that gmail is being used to send any kind of sensitive info (ie people are sending you their paypal addresses), I wouldn't post it publicly. Yes, the risk is small, but honestly, it's not a risk you wanna bother taking. If you want to be contacted by that email offsite, a Google Form will suit your needs without putting your business email into the open. - Anyway, the posts problem. To start with, let's look at what splitting posts can/should be used for. As you've already figured out, individual posts can be linked to within a thread, making them useful navigation points. You can then work these into your contents page to create a means of getting around your thread - and also as an easy way for people to return straight to your commission examples, if they might have been in the middle of ordering. Sometimes I buy commissions for friends, and when I do this, I like to link the friend straight to the artist's examples (generally to double check that they also love the art and would like a commission). - But the keyword here is 'useful' when it comes to your navigation points - they need to cover a large amount of vertical distance on the page, or people can just... you know... scroll. Right now, you have lots of little posts with very little content, and you are looking to link out to all of them. These aren't useful navigation points - from your coloured sketches page, I can easily scroll up to your monochrome sketches. It takes me one roll, and I'm there. - Also - I have to ask. Why do you have a 'table of contents' first post with no other content, when all your other posts have a table of contents anyway? Was something there before?? Was there some reason for that, because I'm honestly curious hdjsd - Anyway. Take with salt, of course, but I'd recommend you run the following posts, in this order: [LIST] [*] Introduction (contains the current banner, introduction post) [*] Examples (contains all of your example posts - and please, use full images! No crops here - when you think about it, clickable crops end in possible customers clicking away from yer shop, which is not what you want! You want the customer to see the full piece, and the price tag - both at once is what tends to aid the impulse buy. ;) If you're nervous about only having one examples post, you can have one extra post just for your most premium option, or maybe recent commissions - something you're proud of and would like to highlight. :0 ) [*] Terms of Service (contains your current ToS - the reason why it's been moved is to get people to your examples faster, so they're more likely to see them and less likely to click off. Most people only want to see rules when they're quite sure they want to buy something, so putting them in front of examples makes it more likely they'll be skipped, too. Also, as a small thing - if you put a line break after each point, it'll make your ToS more readable and less of a wall.) [*] Queue (contains your ping lists, slots, and the How To Order section from your ToS. These are all similar topics, which hardly need their own posts.) [/LIST] - Obviously that specific order is just my take on things, based off experience and things I've observed/learned over the years. Do as you will with it - your shop looks like it's been bopping, so part of me feels you don't need drastic changes or anything, but of course freeing up some post space on your front page would let you advertise specials, affiliates, or whatever else you felt like doing, so. [/quote]
@Adrenaline - Given the preamble, I really thought I was gonna hit a text wall and have my work cut out for me. No such thing - you've just splintered your thread into too many subsections, is all! Which I think is better than having too much info - you don't have to look at changing so much. And it does make my job easier as far as the advice thing goes, so thankyou for that. :)
Squishing the Shop wrote:

- Firstly, a small word of advice - if that gmail is being used to send any kind of sensitive info (ie people are sending you their paypal addresses), I wouldn't post it publicly. Yes, the risk is small, but honestly, it's not a risk you wanna bother taking. If you want to be contacted by that email offsite, a Google Form will suit your needs without putting your business email into the open.

- Anyway, the posts problem. To start with, let's look at what splitting posts can/should be used for. As you've already figured out, individual posts can be linked to within a thread, making them useful navigation points. You can then work these into your contents page to create a means of getting around your thread - and also as an easy way for people to return straight to your commission examples, if they might have been in the middle of ordering. Sometimes I buy commissions for friends, and when I do this, I like to link the friend straight to the artist's examples (generally to double check that they also love the art and would like a commission).

- But the keyword here is 'useful' when it comes to your navigation points - they need to cover a large amount of vertical distance on the page, or people can just... you know... scroll. Right now, you have lots of little posts with very little content, and you are looking to link out to all of them. These aren't useful navigation points - from your coloured sketches page, I can easily scroll up to your monochrome sketches. It takes me one roll, and I'm there.

- Also - I have to ask. Why do you have a 'table of contents' first post with no other content, when all your other posts have a table of contents anyway? Was something there before?? Was there some reason for that, because I'm honestly curious hdjsd

- Anyway. Take with salt, of course, but I'd recommend you run the following posts, in this order:

• Introduction (contains the current banner, introduction post)
  • Examples (contains all of your example posts - and please, use full images! No crops here - when you think about it, clickable crops end in possible customers clicking away from yer shop, which is not what you want! You want the customer to see the full piece, and the price tag - both at once is what tends to aid the impulse buy. ;) If you're nervous about only having one examples post, you can have one extra post just for your most premium option, or maybe recent commissions - something you're proud of and would like to highlight. :0 )
  • Terms of Service (contains your current ToS - the reason why it's been moved is to get people to your examples faster, so they're more likely to see them and less likely to click off. Most people only want to see rules when they're quite sure they want to buy something, so putting them in front of examples makes it more likely they'll be skipped, too. Also, as a small thing - if you put a line break after each point, it'll make your ToS more readable and less of a wall.)
  • Queue (contains your ping lists, slots, and the How To Order section from your ToS. These are all similar topics, which hardly need their own posts.)

- Obviously that specific order is just my take on things, based off experience and things I've observed/learned over the years. Do as you will with it - your shop looks like it's been bopping, so part of me feels you don't need drastic changes or anything, but of course freeing up some post space on your front page would let you advertise specials, affiliates, or whatever else you felt like doing, so.
mancave_banner.png

MANGENTA.png
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it, this was extremely helpful! As for the table of contents post.... Honestly I have no idea. It seems so silly to me now that you've mentioned it LOL! Thanks again though, I will definitely utilize your advice going forward!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it, this was extremely helpful! As for the table of contents post.... Honestly I have no idea. It seems so silly to me now that you've mentioned it LOL! Thanks again though, I will definitely utilize your advice going forward!
and if i had wheels, i'd be a wagon
You gave me some wonderful advice a month or so ago, and I have since been working on setting up a new shop. Would be able to have a look over it for me and let me now if its set out okay, and if the pricing is okay?

I've also combined it with the PWYW gijinkas I have been doing, and was wondering if I should price them at the same rate as the dragon art.

Here is the new shop!

Oh, and I'm working on a new sig to match the current shop look.
You gave me some wonderful advice a month or so ago, and I have since been working on setting up a new shop. Would be able to have a look over it for me and let me now if its set out okay, and if the pricing is okay?

I've also combined it with the PWYW gijinkas I have been doing, and was wondering if I should price them at the same rate as the dragon art.

Here is the new shop!

Oh, and I'm working on a new sig to match the current shop look.
o723_d01L_findingpears.pngo723_d02_findingpears.pngo723_d03_findingpears.pngo723_d04_findingpears.pngo723_d05_findingpears.pngo723_d01R_findingpears.png __
FR+19
she / her
wishlist
art shop
__
____________ ____ l4necl8jk4m.png
Hi, I hope you don't mind my coming back, but I recently revamped my art shop (I removed traditional art, and also need lots more practice before I try adding FR dragons back), and was wondering if you could take a look at it?I... kinda just guessed at the prices, so any thoughts on those would be great. Also, I would definitely take any critique you may have to offer!

cartographic's art shop
Hi, I hope you don't mind my coming back, but I recently revamped my art shop (I removed traditional art, and also need lots more practice before I try adding FR dragons back), and was wondering if you could take a look at it?I... kinda just guessed at the prices, so any thoughts on those would be great. Also, I would definitely take any critique you may have to offer!

cartographic's art shop
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35 36