Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of March
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@MeraHunt Omg I'll have to google Come From Away, it sounds really cool! I'm currently hooked on Hamilton, but some new songs to obsess over would be nice. @velvetpaws OMG I feel you. I'm typing this on my little sister's computer while my dad is punting a new battery in my car. How did you decide what kind of computer to get? I've been on the hunt for a long time but I haven't decided yet. I really want to do some line animating and maybe some stop motion for my stories, but the computer I get is gonna have to run a lot of REALLY tough programs, so I'm scared of getting one that will kill over right away. [s]Also omg those are some of the pretteiest accents I've ever seen holly cow [/s] @KallyPaige SHE IS and I love their story so much and I need to finish it XD Alright so... Development in my lore, these guys seem to be brothers from another mother? I mean look at them, they match! They've gotta do something together. Maybe they are a coli team? But there's gotta be more story then that. Heck I love them so much! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49407341] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/494074/49407341_350.png[/img] [/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49268237] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/492683/49268237_350.png[/img] [/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48927340] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/489274/48927340_350.png[/img] [/url]
@MeraHunt
Omg I'll have to google Come From Away, it sounds really cool! I'm currently hooked on Hamilton, but some new songs to obsess over would be nice.

@velvetpaws
OMG I feel you. I'm typing this on my little sister's computer while my dad is punting a new battery in my car. How did you decide what kind of computer to get? I've been on the hunt for a long time but I haven't decided yet. I really want to do some line animating and maybe some stop motion for my stories, but the computer I get is gonna have to run a lot of REALLY tough programs, so I'm scared of getting one that will kill over right away.
Also omg those are some of the pretteiest accents I've ever seen holly cow

@KallyPaige
SHE IS and I love their story so much and I need to finish it XD

Alright so... Development in my lore, these guys seem to be brothers from another mother? I mean look at them, they match! They've gotta do something together. Maybe they are a coli team? But there's gotta be more story then that. Heck I love them so much!

49407341_350.png

49268237_350.png

48927340_350.png
24002659_oFj.png
@Polymorphus

Ha ha, thank you! For the longest time I didn't have a story for Ioanna and was only keeping her around to showcase that accent, but finally it came to me.

As for the computer, I must confess, I didn't really think about it much. (Or enough. Or at all. ^^;;; ) I've been a Mac aficionado from way back, and in a panic at not having a laptop (though honestly I didn't really urgently need one because I have a desktop computer too) (but but but how will I sit on the couch with the cats???) I ran straight to the Apple store and got the lowest end Macbook Air. :P Not my most cunning moment. On the other hand, my last Macbook lasted eight years and was still going pretty strong when I killed it, so I'm hoping for a similar lifespan for this one.

Those three boys are so beautiful together--wow! I hope you can come up with a good story for them. ^_^
@Polymorphus

Ha ha, thank you! For the longest time I didn't have a story for Ioanna and was only keeping her around to showcase that accent, but finally it came to me.

As for the computer, I must confess, I didn't really think about it much. (Or enough. Or at all. ^^;;; ) I've been a Mac aficionado from way back, and in a panic at not having a laptop (though honestly I didn't really urgently need one because I have a desktop computer too) (but but but how will I sit on the couch with the cats???) I ran straight to the Apple store and got the lowest end Macbook Air. :P Not my most cunning moment. On the other hand, my last Macbook lasted eight years and was still going pretty strong when I killed it, so I'm hoping for a similar lifespan for this one.

Those three boys are so beautiful together--wow! I hope you can come up with a good story for them. ^_^
MmSftql.png
@Polymorphus

Here's the wikipedia article on it. And here is the opening song. The actual song starts at 6:50, the beginning of the video is an introduction. My dad says it's better than Hamilton, and while I haven't seen it yet I'm inclined to agree.

Also that green boi is super pretty~
@Polymorphus

Here's the wikipedia article on it. And here is the opening song. The actual song starts at 6:50, the beginning of the video is an introduction. My dad says it's better than Hamilton, and while I haven't seen it yet I'm inclined to agree.

Also that green boi is super pretty~
hANn2C0.gif
I'm here, just not much going on at the moment.
I'm here, just not much going on at the moment.
NOTE: Dergs in my lair with scries are just ideas, & are subject to change/not final.
nZJa3n3.png
Hello all! February was a busy month and I forgot to check in. Sorry. XD Not a lot of writing progress in February; most of my month involved rewriting the same troublesome scene.

4 days into March and I've almost surpassed my February progress! I have a friend who's been reading my WIP in chunks as I write it. She happens to be a developmental editor and told me yesterday that she thinks I could query as soon as April. A terrifying yet incredibly motivating thought.

I've set a goal of finishing my draft by the end of the month. Yesterday I started outlining the scenes left to write (still need to finish this). I spent today writing a scene I'll need to add in earlier that will help set the stone for the actual next scene of the novel. Feeling super pumped!
Hello all! February was a busy month and I forgot to check in. Sorry. XD Not a lot of writing progress in February; most of my month involved rewriting the same troublesome scene.

4 days into March and I've almost surpassed my February progress! I have a friend who's been reading my WIP in chunks as I write it. She happens to be a developmental editor and told me yesterday that she thinks I could query as soon as April. A terrifying yet incredibly motivating thought.

I've set a goal of finishing my draft by the end of the month. Yesterday I started outlining the scenes left to write (still need to finish this). I spent today writing a scene I'll need to add in earlier that will help set the stone for the actual next scene of the novel. Feeling super pumped!
scribblesisonlydoodling.gif

wind_0.pngwind_1.pngwind_2.pngwind_3.png
2rnjx3s.png
@LaraAelric
O m g that is amazing!!! Tell us what happens when you do?! Heck, I've never gotten that close to finishing a full book! That is so awesome.

@velvetpaws
Well, maybe that's the best way to do it? I've beem sitting around trying to decide for so long that I've saved up WAY more then I need and it's gonna get spent on life rather then art if I don't act fast lol! Maybe I should go ahed and buy the programs and wacom I need? I mean, It's been so long since I've sat on the couch with my kittes and written! Heck I miss it.

@MeraHunt
Thank you for the new obbssetion lol

~

So I finally got myself writing again! Am I writing a real page turner that has a great chance of becoming a beloved by many? No, that would be too easy. Nope insted I'm writing my weird story with my weird characters and that weird setting that takes a lot of backstory to understand lololol
HOWELL! It's good practice if nothing else, right?

Anyhow I could use a little proof reading and feed back on some recent work I've done with it if anyone feels like reading?
I'll leave a link to it here because my post is already pretty long XD

https://toyhou.se/1961072.samule-shumard/1980874.story
@LaraAelric
O m g that is amazing!!! Tell us what happens when you do?! Heck, I've never gotten that close to finishing a full book! That is so awesome.

@velvetpaws
Well, maybe that's the best way to do it? I've beem sitting around trying to decide for so long that I've saved up WAY more then I need and it's gonna get spent on life rather then art if I don't act fast lol! Maybe I should go ahed and buy the programs and wacom I need? I mean, It's been so long since I've sat on the couch with my kittes and written! Heck I miss it.

@MeraHunt
Thank you for the new obbssetion lol

~

So I finally got myself writing again! Am I writing a real page turner that has a great chance of becoming a beloved by many? No, that would be too easy. Nope insted I'm writing my weird story with my weird characters and that weird setting that takes a lot of backstory to understand lololol
HOWELL! It's good practice if nothing else, right?

Anyhow I could use a little proof reading and feed back on some recent work I've done with it if anyone feels like reading?
I'll leave a link to it here because my post is already pretty long XD

https://toyhou.se/1961072.samule-shumard/1980874.story
24002659_oFj.png
Hello all! I'm glad I came across this thread! For a while now I've been pretty stumped with getting some lore done for my lair. I have made some notes over time, sometimes about the clan in general and other times about individual dragons.

I have absolutely no experience with writing stories since... well I suppose elementary school. I was always more into drawing and painting rather than writing. Now here I am, an adult who can't even figure out how to actually WRITE (and especially sound smart doing it). So I figured I would drop in and ask some of you with more experience and expertise than me.

How do you start writing? Do you just word vomit all over the page and change things as you go? Or do you have a certain method you use, like say a checklist of points to introduce? What about a thesaurus... is it a tool that you use regularly when writing? What about other writing tools? How do you know when it's time to make a paragraph break? How long is too long, and how short is too short for creative writing?

Ahhh I know I've got a lot of questions, and I could probably just Google all this... but I really don't want to read a how-to article! I just want to hear first hand experiences, if that makes sense... (also I hope it's okay to ask this kind of stuff here ;.;!)
Hello all! I'm glad I came across this thread! For a while now I've been pretty stumped with getting some lore done for my lair. I have made some notes over time, sometimes about the clan in general and other times about individual dragons.

I have absolutely no experience with writing stories since... well I suppose elementary school. I was always more into drawing and painting rather than writing. Now here I am, an adult who can't even figure out how to actually WRITE (and especially sound smart doing it). So I figured I would drop in and ask some of you with more experience and expertise than me.

How do you start writing? Do you just word vomit all over the page and change things as you go? Or do you have a certain method you use, like say a checklist of points to introduce? What about a thesaurus... is it a tool that you use regularly when writing? What about other writing tools? How do you know when it's time to make a paragraph break? How long is too long, and how short is too short for creative writing?

Ahhh I know I've got a lot of questions, and I could probably just Google all this... but I really don't want to read a how-to article! I just want to hear first hand experiences, if that makes sense... (also I hope it's okay to ask this kind of stuff here ;.;!)
7862891.png ___
Winged
She/her
FR +3
I love pings c:
____ 51027181.png
@MeraHunt I have never heard of a prologue as a short opener to grab the reader. Usually it does the opposite. :D A lot of people are down on prologues and preludes. (I have no idea what the difference is, if any, between those two).

Plotting a story, particularly to a particular length, is definitely an art form. You get the hang of it eventually if you practice and study how other stories are put together, tho. n_n Good luck with your new one!

My personal method is to write up my story outline and notes in an EverNote notebook. I write individual scenes in EverNote too, and then copy-paste them into a Google Doc as I finish each scene. When I do editing, it's on the Google Doc. I use EverNote and Google Docs because they both auto-sync and I can access them over any of my devices. (I use phone/tablet/laptop/desktop interchangeably.) A lot of people like Scrivener, but I've never tried it because it doesn't have a phone app and I don't want to be tied to one device for writing. But it might be what you're looking for!

@paintminion I was gonna take your pearlcatcher boy: http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47762976 :)

@KallyPaige *eyes her collection of characters with teeth marks* Gotta be some joys to being an author.

@Darkmoonbreeder How will they ever know they've earned real happiness unless you TORTURE THEM WITHOUT MERCY for two hundred pages first? <_<

(Actually, I am too nice to my characters and generally can't torture them for more than a chapter before I relent.)

@NightwindDragon Oof, millennia is a *lot* of time to cover. All of my books have been secondary-world fantasy because I like making up my own settings. And not being beholden to the disasters of RL history. :/ Maybe someday I'll

@Polymorphus Aww, that's really sad about the big cat sanctuary. *hugs*

I hope March is going better for you than last month did. :| Your Imperial wuff team is very handsome! I like the complimentary colors on the pearlcatcher boys too, and the way you dressed them up sets it off perfectly.

Love the details on the scales in that sketch! Nice transition between the side and abdomen scales.

I too am in the "just get a laptop" camp. I spent years unable to figure out what I wanted in a laptop, and finally adopted one my parents had and weren't using. And loved having a laptop and being able to go to a coffee shop any write. ????

On the proofreading front: You use "it's" instead of "its" a lot. My mnemonic for this is "no possessive pronoun has an apostrophe and all contractions do". So if you can substitute "it is", then "it's" is the right contraction, and if you can't then you've got a possessive pronoun and should use "its".

That aside, Sonii and Sam are not having a good day here, I see!

@velvetpaws Poor Tanez. Gembond really does look like a curse. At least he gets to be strong!

@VioletWhirlwind Hi! I'm here and not getting much done myself! :)

@LaraAelric Woo, exciting! Are you still pushing forward? On track for the end-of-month completion? n_n

@WingedClaymore Welcome to the thread! I start by writing down some notes about my story's characters, setting, and plot. I used to just start with whatever image was in my head, but it takes me way longer to feel my way forward in a story one scene at a time. And I abandoned a lot of stories by writing myself into a corner and not knowing how to bring it to a satisfying conclusion. Or even "what happens next?" If I map out all of the events of the story in advance, it's a much faster process for me.

~

I have been pretty lazy so far this month, writing-wise. I decided to make some serious revisions to The Princess, Her Dragon, and Their Prince, but I don't feel like diving back into the story yet so I pushed it back to April. I should solidify my plan for the exact changes I'm making before then, but meh.

I've been a little more active on The Twin Etheriums, which is probably going to be my next WIP. It is still at the outline stage; I finished a timeline for it but I'm kind of meh about some of the timing factors, so still poking at it. *pokes* Also writing setting notes and stuff. It's in my Etherium setting, but a couple hundred years earlier so I'm having fun with the way things are different in an older time period.
@MeraHunt I have never heard of a prologue as a short opener to grab the reader. Usually it does the opposite. :D A lot of people are down on prologues and preludes. (I have no idea what the difference is, if any, between those two).

Plotting a story, particularly to a particular length, is definitely an art form. You get the hang of it eventually if you practice and study how other stories are put together, tho. n_n Good luck with your new one!

My personal method is to write up my story outline and notes in an EverNote notebook. I write individual scenes in EverNote too, and then copy-paste them into a Google Doc as I finish each scene. When I do editing, it's on the Google Doc. I use EverNote and Google Docs because they both auto-sync and I can access them over any of my devices. (I use phone/tablet/laptop/desktop interchangeably.) A lot of people like Scrivener, but I've never tried it because it doesn't have a phone app and I don't want to be tied to one device for writing. But it might be what you're looking for!

@paintminion I was gonna take your pearlcatcher boy: http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47762976 :)

@KallyPaige *eyes her collection of characters with teeth marks* Gotta be some joys to being an author.

@Darkmoonbreeder How will they ever know they've earned real happiness unless you TORTURE THEM WITHOUT MERCY for two hundred pages first? <_<

(Actually, I am too nice to my characters and generally can't torture them for more than a chapter before I relent.)

@NightwindDragon Oof, millennia is a *lot* of time to cover. All of my books have been secondary-world fantasy because I like making up my own settings. And not being beholden to the disasters of RL history. :/ Maybe someday I'll

@Polymorphus Aww, that's really sad about the big cat sanctuary. *hugs*

I hope March is going better for you than last month did. :| Your Imperial wuff team is very handsome! I like the complimentary colors on the pearlcatcher boys too, and the way you dressed them up sets it off perfectly.

Love the details on the scales in that sketch! Nice transition between the side and abdomen scales.

I too am in the "just get a laptop" camp. I spent years unable to figure out what I wanted in a laptop, and finally adopted one my parents had and weren't using. And loved having a laptop and being able to go to a coffee shop any write. ????

On the proofreading front: You use "it's" instead of "its" a lot. My mnemonic for this is "no possessive pronoun has an apostrophe and all contractions do". So if you can substitute "it is", then "it's" is the right contraction, and if you can't then you've got a possessive pronoun and should use "its".

That aside, Sonii and Sam are not having a good day here, I see!

@velvetpaws Poor Tanez. Gembond really does look like a curse. At least he gets to be strong!

@VioletWhirlwind Hi! I'm here and not getting much done myself! :)

@LaraAelric Woo, exciting! Are you still pushing forward? On track for the end-of-month completion? n_n

@WingedClaymore Welcome to the thread! I start by writing down some notes about my story's characters, setting, and plot. I used to just start with whatever image was in my head, but it takes me way longer to feel my way forward in a story one scene at a time. And I abandoned a lot of stories by writing myself into a corner and not knowing how to bring it to a satisfying conclusion. Or even "what happens next?" If I map out all of the events of the story in advance, it's a much faster process for me.

~

I have been pretty lazy so far this month, writing-wise. I decided to make some serious revisions to The Princess, Her Dragon, and Their Prince, but I don't feel like diving back into the story yet so I pushed it back to April. I should solidify my plan for the exact changes I'm making before then, but meh.

I've been a little more active on The Twin Etheriums, which is probably going to be my next WIP. It is still at the outline stage; I finished a timeline for it but I'm kind of meh about some of the timing factors, so still poking at it. *pokes* Also writing setting notes and stuff. It's in my Etherium setting, but a couple hundred years earlier so I'm having fun with the way things are different in an older time period.
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@LadyRowyn

He's yours as a gift in honor of completing my first weekend at a convention as an author guest. Panels went well, nice people met, and now I am exhausted. I will send him right over.
@LadyRowyn

He's yours as a gift in honor of completing my first weekend at a convention as an author guest. Panels went well, nice people met, and now I am exhausted. I will send him right over.
An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
@LadyRowyn Yeah, which is why I might end up splitting it among four books, each centered around one of the four main characters. But again, since this is really *really* early in the game.
@LadyRowyn Yeah, which is why I might end up splitting it among four books, each centered around one of the four main characters. But again, since this is really *really* early in the game.
axOkNaR.png
ZNhRsiG.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7