Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Adoptable help? [IC/PC/Critique?]
1 2
Hello dragon folk! I had an epiphany yesterday...what if Spirals did the loopy-snake thing around the branch? So low and behold, I drew a rough blueprint of an idea: [img]https://i.imgur.com/dOsoYWEl.jpg[/img] UPDATED VERSION (after suggestions): [img]https://i.imgur.com/I3g8h9il.jpg[/img] UPDATED VERSION PT 2: [img]https://i.imgur.com/6p2TXbAl.jpg[/img] ((Apologies on how light it is, I sketch lightly so then I can erase it easily if I need to)) But before I can move on from this stage, I first and foremost need your help. So, I have three questions: 1) Any friendly criticism? I am going to fully outline it cleanly in black ink, but since I cannot go back from that stage, any errors pointed out or suggestions said are appreciated! (I am probably going to fix the lines up a bit and make it cleaner) 2) Anyone interested at all in this? Once I get Spirals done I might move on to the rest of the breeds and make them into 'pets'. Ex: Mirrors=dogs, Pearlcatchers=cats etc. 3) Any price suggestions? I'm thinking of charging 80kt for a base and then varying prices for genes. Since I'm doing it traditionally (keeping the original base and then photocopying) I need to redraw every gene every time, so it might be a [i]tiny bit [/i]more pricey than normal. What do you think? So, if anyone could help me out, that would be great! I'll update as I progress with more bases. Thank you for your time! :D
Hello dragon folk! I had an epiphany yesterday...what if Spirals did the loopy-snake thing around the branch? So low and behold, I drew a rough blueprint of an idea:
dOsoYWEl.jpg
UPDATED VERSION (after suggestions):
I3g8h9il.jpg
UPDATED VERSION PT 2:
6p2TXbAl.jpg
((Apologies on how light it is, I sketch lightly so then I can erase it easily if I need to))

But before I can move on from this stage, I first and foremost need your help. So, I have three questions:
1) Any friendly criticism? I am going to fully outline it cleanly in black ink, but since I cannot go back from that stage, any errors pointed out or suggestions said are appreciated! (I am probably going to fix the lines up a bit and make it cleaner)
2) Anyone interested at all in this? Once I get Spirals done I might move on to the rest of the breeds and make them into 'pets'. Ex: Mirrors=dogs, Pearlcatchers=cats etc.
3) Any price suggestions? I'm thinking of charging 80kt for a base and then varying prices for genes. Since I'm doing it traditionally (keeping the original base and then photocopying) I need to redraw every gene every time, so it might be a tiny bit more pricey than normal. What do you think?

So, if anyone could help me out, that would be great! I'll update as I progress with more bases. Thank you for your time! :D
An illustration of a blue Fire Flight Mirror dragon with black antlers and black wings, wearing gold jewelry. Blue fire is along the bottom of the picture, and the backdrop is of the Ashfall Waste. Links to progen.
@Deramadus This is really cute and a great idea! I do have a suggestion below Instead of making the end of the tail all the same width, perhaps make it gradually shrinking to the end (This is a bad photo but it is a decent example) [img]https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/tail-snake-white-background-89231181.jpg[/img] My other suggestion is just for kicks --- make the first primary gene vipera c':
@Deramadus This is really cute and a great idea! I do have a suggestion below

Instead of making the end of the tail all the same width, perhaps make it gradually shrinking to the end (This is a bad photo but it is a decent example)
tail-snake-white-background-89231181.jpg

My other suggestion is just for kicks --- make the first primary gene vipera c':
@Gwynivere

Thank you! That means a lot!
Oh, I hadn't even seen that! Thank you, I'll fix that soon.
I would definitely make Vipera the first, except that since I'm doing it traditionally I need to redo the gene every time someone asks for it - I can't just do it and then copy and paste it whenever someone asks for it like you usually do for digital. If that makes any sense? ;w;
@Gwynivere

Thank you! That means a lot!
Oh, I hadn't even seen that! Thank you, I'll fix that soon.
I would definitely make Vipera the first, except that since I'm doing it traditionally I need to redo the gene every time someone asks for it - I can't just do it and then copy and paste it whenever someone asks for it like you usually do for digital. If that makes any sense? ;w;
An illustration of a blue Fire Flight Mirror dragon with black antlers and black wings, wearing gold jewelry. Blue fire is along the bottom of the picture, and the backdrop is of the Ashfall Waste. Links to progen.
@Deramadus

I like the idea. It's very unique and isn't something I've seen before here on FR.

However, it would look more like a spiral if you included some of the arms or legs in the picture. The wings look a bit detatched from everything else too. It looked like you reffed the pose heavily from a green tree python. It might be easier to figure out where the arms, legs, and wings would attach if you figure out how the snake's coils all attach to one another. It seems strange to me that we don't see either the arms or the legs or the shoulders of the wings (I would include at least one of the sets).
@Deramadus

I like the idea. It's very unique and isn't something I've seen before here on FR.

However, it would look more like a spiral if you included some of the arms or legs in the picture. The wings look a bit detatched from everything else too. It looked like you reffed the pose heavily from a green tree python. It might be easier to figure out where the arms, legs, and wings would attach if you figure out how the snake's coils all attach to one another. It seems strange to me that we don't see either the arms or the legs or the shoulders of the wings (I would include at least one of the sets).
@AboveClouds

Thank you so much!

I did reference from the green tree python as it was the first snake I thought of that did the loopy-thing. And that was one of the biggest things I was debating, so thank you for your critique! I will make the wings seem more attached and perhaps only add one arm to the picture (maybe two if it doesn't look overly crowded). I think the legs would be under the coils though, so I don't think they would be visible.

Anyhow, thank you a lot for taking the time to help me! :) I'll fix this all soon.
@AboveClouds

Thank you so much!

I did reference from the green tree python as it was the first snake I thought of that did the loopy-thing. And that was one of the biggest things I was debating, so thank you for your critique! I will make the wings seem more attached and perhaps only add one arm to the picture (maybe two if it doesn't look overly crowded). I think the legs would be under the coils though, so I don't think they would be visible.

Anyhow, thank you a lot for taking the time to help me! :) I'll fix this all soon.
@Gwynivere @AboveClouds (Not sure if you wanted to be pinged. Sorry if I'm bothering you!) Here is the updated version: [img]https://i.imgur.com/I3g8h9il.jpg[/img] (Sorry, it's still really light) I took both of your suggestions and fixed up my sketch, and I have to say it looks a lot better now! So, thank you! I made the tail gradually shrink and fixed some of the sizes of the coils. I then added an arm sticking out slightly to the side and a few fingers poking out from between the coils (I looked up how a snake coils like that and if it were a Spiral the legs would be hidden behind the coils, so I chose to leave them out). And lastly, I made the wings appear more attached by giving them shoulders. (Might still fix the wings and small positioning later as well) Does it look improved to you? If anyone else has any suggestions/prices/or interest I'm all ears! :D
@Gwynivere @AboveClouds (Not sure if you wanted to be pinged. Sorry if I'm bothering you!)
Here is the updated version:
I3g8h9il.jpg
(Sorry, it's still really light)
I took both of your suggestions and fixed up my sketch, and I have to say it looks a lot better now! So, thank you! I made the tail gradually shrink and fixed some of the sizes of the coils. I then added an arm sticking out slightly to the side and a few fingers poking out from between the coils (I looked up how a snake coils like that and if it were a Spiral the legs would be hidden behind the coils, so I chose to leave them out). And lastly, I made the wings appear more attached by giving them shoulders. (Might still fix the wings and small positioning later as well) Does it look improved to you?

If anyone else has any suggestions/prices/or interest I'm all ears! :D
@Deramadus I love the update c: The tail look fantastic and his small creeping fingers are quite cute. I see what you did with the wings but because the actual "arms" aren't visible, I'm afraid it may still appear a bit awkward. Also, are you keeping in mind what angle the wings should be at on that position on the snake? It may be easier to change the position like shown below or perhaps make the fingers and arms just spread out a bit so the connections are more visually present. [img]https://i.imgur.com/xcLocb7.png[/img] Ps. No need to apologize for the lightness. That's just one of the unfortunate bits of camera to computers and not straight up digital art. It's perfect fine c:
@Deramadus I love the update c: The tail look fantastic and his small creeping fingers are quite cute. I see what you did with the wings but because the actual "arms" aren't visible, I'm afraid it may still appear a bit awkward. Also, are you keeping in mind what angle the wings should be at on that position on the snake? It may be easier to change the position like shown below or perhaps make the fingers and arms just spread out a bit so the connections are more visually present.

xcLocb7.png

Ps. No need to apologize for the lightness. That's just one of the unfortunate bits of camera to computers and not straight up digital art. It's perfect fine c:
@Gwynivere

Thank you!!

Ah, I see why that would look a bit awkward. I was thinking that they just hung along the back of the coils, all folded up, but it does look a little weird. I'll experiment a bit and see whether I can fix it or I might change the position all together as you showed - or make them a bit more spread out. Thank you again!

Oh, I actually scan all these images, but I sketch so lightly a lot of people have a hard time seeing it, so I'm always weary. ^^;
@Gwynivere

Thank you!!

Ah, I see why that would look a bit awkward. I was thinking that they just hung along the back of the coils, all folded up, but it does look a little weird. I'll experiment a bit and see whether I can fix it or I might change the position all together as you showed - or make them a bit more spread out. Thank you again!

Oh, I actually scan all these images, but I sketch so lightly a lot of people have a hard time seeing it, so I'm always weary. ^^;
@Deramadus No problem at all! I'd love to help anyone trying to stretch their wings in the field of art. I'd like to be updated with any new ideas or reworks you come up with. I hope you'll find something that just clicks with you.

I'm sure they probably are hard to see at times but I, for one, give kuddos to anyone who can sketch lightly. It makes editing so easy and give the artist a lot more flexibility when designing. (Definitely a great habit) Your image is just dark enough that it looks fine though.
@Deramadus No problem at all! I'd love to help anyone trying to stretch their wings in the field of art. I'd like to be updated with any new ideas or reworks you come up with. I hope you'll find something that just clicks with you.

I'm sure they probably are hard to see at times but I, for one, give kuddos to anyone who can sketch lightly. It makes editing so easy and give the artist a lot more flexibility when designing. (Definitely a great habit) Your image is just dark enough that it looks fine though.
@Gwynivere

Thank you, that's really kind of you! I have sold a few commissions here, but I am completely new to the world of adoptables, so all the help I can get is greatly appreciated. I'll rework it soon! And I'll start sketching up ideas for the rest of the breeds.

That's what I think too, better to be lighter than darker. ^^
@Gwynivere

Thank you, that's really kind of you! I have sold a few commissions here, but I am completely new to the world of adoptables, so all the help I can get is greatly appreciated. I'll rework it soon! And I'll start sketching up ideas for the rest of the breeds.

That's what I think too, better to be lighter than darker. ^^
1 2