Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [LORE] The Tower of Drabel
1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 99 100
@Disillusionist OoooOoooO It's great to see your lair's family relations! I love family lore and seeing how that all comes together, especially with unexpected relatives! (I kinda hope I eventually end up with someone in my pinkerlocke who is unexpectedly related to another one of my dragons, that could be fun to work with! (And if the RNG could stop giving me one-egg nests, then I could have even more family lore!) And oh my goodness, that story was absolutely beautiful! [emoji=tundra star size=2] I loved how mystical and fairy tale-esque it was (though I can hear her telling me now, "[i]fairy tales are the most dangerous stories[/i]...")! The idea of a witch helping weary travelers very much delights me, as well as the words of warning not to take it lightly! You pulled it together so well, and it's probably one of my favourite stories from you yet!
@Disillusionist

OoooOoooO It's great to see your lair's family relations! I love family lore and seeing how that all comes together, especially with unexpected relatives! (I kinda hope I eventually end up with someone in my pinkerlocke who is unexpectedly related to another one of my dragons, that could be fun to work with! (And if the RNG could stop giving me one-egg nests, then I could have even more family lore!)

And oh my goodness, that story was absolutely beautiful! I loved how mystical and fairy tale-esque it was (though I can hear her telling me now, "fairy tales are the most dangerous stories...")! The idea of a witch helping weary travelers very much delights me, as well as the words of warning not to take it lightly! You pulled it together so well, and it's probably one of my favourite stories from you yet!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall I was starting to forget who was related to whom, so I realized I needed to write the relationships down. xD Family lore is always fun! More so if it involves unexpected relatives. Most of my dragons aren't related to each other, so it's a dynamic I don't get to explore much. On the subject of unexpected relatives, have you tried looking all of them up in the Nesting Grounds? I did that just a couple of days ago when I had a free nest: Loaded the guys one by one, then checked the female dragons each time to see if any were grayed out. I haven't found any other relatives yet, and I wish I'd thought to check before putting [i]a LOT[/i] of my dergs into the HD. And as for the story, I'm glad to hear I nailed the fairy tale-esque tone; that was definitely what I was going for! Niamh was originally going to be a more sinister character, but as I was laying out the events, they changed so that she became more sympathetic instead. I feel like it fits her better as a Plague dragon too: "You had your chance; now it's nature's turn!" [emoji=coatl scared size=1]
@Petall I was starting to forget who was related to whom, so I realized I needed to write the relationships down. xD

Family lore is always fun! More so if it involves unexpected relatives. Most of my dragons aren't related to each other, so it's a dynamic I don't get to explore much. On the subject of unexpected relatives, have you tried looking all of them up in the Nesting Grounds? I did that just a couple of days ago when I had a free nest: Loaded the guys one by one, then checked the female dragons each time to see if any were grayed out. I haven't found any other relatives yet, and I wish I'd thought to check before putting a LOT of my dergs into the HD.

And as for the story, I'm glad to hear I nailed the fairy tale-esque tone; that was definitely what I was going for! Niamh was originally going to be a more sinister character, but as I was laying out the events, they changed so that she became more sympathetic instead. I feel like it fits her better as a Plague dragon too: "You had your chance; now it's nature's turn!"
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

A VAMPIRE NOC!!! YES!!!!!!!! I love the way you described her, it's like folklore or an urban legend! She's like the sort of creature that would eventually fade into cryptid legend and no one would actually believe it to be true! Aaaa! I just love the tone of it all!!!
@Disillusionist

A VAMPIRE NOC!!! YES!!!!!!!! I love the way you described her, it's like folklore or an urban legend! She's like the sort of creature that would eventually fade into cryptid legend and no one would actually believe it to be true! Aaaa! I just love the tone of it all!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Excellent catch! At the time I wrote her story, I'd been listening to a paranormal/supernatural podcast, and I really liked the idea of writing a story about a character who was more like a cryptid. I'm glad I was able to let that vibe shine through! Probably also gonna be fun to write some more conflicting descriptions about her in the future. "But these footprints are so small!" -- "NO, JOE, THEY'RE SCARY, SO THEY'RE DEFINITELY THE SIZE OF A HOUSE" [emoji=coatl scared size=1]
@Petall Excellent catch! At the time I wrote her story, I'd been listening to a paranormal/supernatural podcast, and I really liked the idea of writing a story about a character who was more like a cryptid. I'm glad I was able to let that vibe shine through! Probably also gonna be fun to write some more conflicting descriptions about her in the future. "But these footprints are so small!" -- "NO, JOE, THEY'RE SCARY, SO THEY'RE DEFINITELY THE SIZE OF A HOUSE"
@Disillusionist

Hello! It's been a while since I gushed over your lore and here I am to do just that! First, I can't remember if I left any comments after reading Niamh's story last time, but it still sticks with me - the eerie house that appears as a second chance to lost travelers is a brilliant idea and executed beautifully in your lore.

I also just read Strix's tale; love the take on what I'm assuming is vampiric lore and how you've played with the idea of reality vs. the image built from rumors. The touch about no one being able to remember exactly what she looks like is haunting as well and so beautifully incorporated. Strix is also a stunning dragon and I'm in love with her gene plan~~

As a side note, I'm also loving all the new additions to your lair. I stop by to browse through from time to time and I look forward to seeing what stories you'll create for them. Diadem and Aracius are two of my favorites, and those outfit plans are so so good.
@Disillusionist

Hello! It's been a while since I gushed over your lore and here I am to do just that! First, I can't remember if I left any comments after reading Niamh's story last time, but it still sticks with me - the eerie house that appears as a second chance to lost travelers is a brilliant idea and executed beautifully in your lore.

I also just read Strix's tale; love the take on what I'm assuming is vampiric lore and how you've played with the idea of reality vs. the image built from rumors. The touch about no one being able to remember exactly what she looks like is haunting as well and so beautifully incorporated. Strix is also a stunning dragon and I'm in love with her gene plan~~

As a side note, I'm also loving all the new additions to your lair. I stop by to browse through from time to time and I look forward to seeing what stories you'll create for them. Diadem and Aracius are two of my favorites, and those outfit plans are so so good.
@awaicu It's great to see you here too! [emoji=heart size=1] I really appreciate your taking the time to stop over here as well. I'm so glad Niamh's house made a good impression on you -- it actually grew from a blurb included by her original owner; I had a lot of fun taking the "witch in the woods" seed and growing it into the story and character you see today. ^^ Yup, you're correct! Strix is based on vampires, though looking at how other dragons regard her now, she probably has more in common with chupacabras. (And thank goodness her gene plan's not too expensive! X3) Thank you also for taking time to look through my lair! I put a lot of work into the outfits (Aracius' is definitely [i]something[/i], gaaaahh [emoji=guardian scared size=1]), so it makes me feel all warm inside to see them appreciated by others. I've also been looking in on your lair from time to time and am really loving the new additions. Kismet is my favorite of the bunch -- the way her tert and accent match is flawless! -- plus I love reading the lore snippets you've added to your dragons' bios! I've mostly been following the Dark Crystal fandergs and adore how their lore blurbs connect to the rest of your characters. [emoji=guardian love size=1] (Aaaaand now I'm off to gush over your art thread~)
@awaicu It's great to see you here too! I really appreciate your taking the time to stop over here as well. I'm so glad Niamh's house made a good impression on you -- it actually grew from a blurb included by her original owner; I had a lot of fun taking the "witch in the woods" seed and growing it into the story and character you see today. ^^

Yup, you're correct! Strix is based on vampires, though looking at how other dragons regard her now, she probably has more in common with chupacabras. (And thank goodness her gene plan's not too expensive! X3)

Thank you also for taking time to look through my lair! I put a lot of work into the outfits (Aracius' is definitely something, gaaaahh ), so it makes me feel all warm inside to see them appreciated by others. I've also been looking in on your lair from time to time and am really loving the new additions. Kismet is my favorite of the bunch -- the way her tert and accent match is flawless! -- plus I love reading the lore snippets you've added to your dragons' bios! I've mostly been following the Dark Crystal fandergs and adore how their lore blurbs connect to the rest of your characters. (Aaaaand now I'm off to gush over your art thread~)
@Disillusionist

I can definitely see the chupacabra influence in Strix as well; I'm seriously so into all the NPCs you create. I still swing back in from time to time to read the Lightning Dancer's bio and check out the new characters you've created - they work so well as additions into other tales. I'd love to incorporate Niamh and her house into a piece at some point. . . perhaps that would actually work nicely in Kismet's lore as well. If that's okay with you that is?

Yep, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth fandragons now dominating the majority of the Goblin Kingdom. I just gave Skeksis a snarly face accent yesterday to complement his overall. . . er. . . skeksis-ness. I also managed to snag Gollum as a mate for him - I think they're my first Gaoler pair now (along with Lucifer and Hel). Anyways, looking forward to reading more from you in the future and continuing to browse through all your dragons and outfit designs!
@Disillusionist

I can definitely see the chupacabra influence in Strix as well; I'm seriously so into all the NPCs you create. I still swing back in from time to time to read the Lightning Dancer's bio and check out the new characters you've created - they work so well as additions into other tales. I'd love to incorporate Niamh and her house into a piece at some point. . . perhaps that would actually work nicely in Kismet's lore as well. If that's okay with you that is?

Yep, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth fandragons now dominating the majority of the Goblin Kingdom. I just gave Skeksis a snarly face accent yesterday to complement his overall. . . er. . . skeksis-ness. I also managed to snag Gollum as a mate for him - I think they're my first Gaoler pair now (along with Lucifer and Hel). Anyways, looking forward to reading more from you in the future and continuing to browse through all your dragons and outfit designs!
@awaicu Aww, thanks! [emoji=heart size=1] I've found that it's useful to have established NPCs in my lore -- and having actual dragons to base them on makes it more fun too. xD Yes, I'm OK with Niamh being included in your dragons' lore! You always handle other people's dragons very well, so I'm sure she'll do great in your stories. Just in case it's important and/or you haven't seen it yet, she's also got a [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=53639893]gene/outfit plan[/url] in her bio. Little bit pricey, but at least it's not impossible. XD Thank you again for your lovely comments and interest! Please feel free to contact me anytime you need more info or want to show off more of your own art and lore. Your work is always stellar! [emoji=rainbow star 1 size=1]
@awaicu Aww, thanks! I've found that it's useful to have established NPCs in my lore -- and having actual dragons to base them on makes it more fun too. xD

Yes, I'm OK with Niamh being included in your dragons' lore! You always handle other people's dragons very well, so I'm sure she'll do great in your stories. Just in case it's important and/or you haven't seen it yet, she's also got a gene/outfit plan in her bio. Little bit pricey, but at least it's not impossible. XD

Thank you again for your lovely comments and interest! Please feel free to contact me anytime you need more info or want to show off more of your own art and lore. Your work is always stellar!
[center][color=#BBBABF][size=1][b]PREV.[/b][/size] [size=2][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/34#post_37953572]Dragon[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/1#post_2323941]Contents[/url] • Characters [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/1#post_30507351]A-M[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/1#post_30507353]N-Z[/url] • [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941#post_30507364]Stories Pt. 4[/url] | [/size][size=1][b]NEXT[/b][/size] [size=2][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/34#post_37953588]Dragon[/url][/color][/size][/center] ----- [right][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48106590][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/481066/48106590.png[/img][/url] [size=2][color=#9494A9][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48106590]profile[/url] • back to[/color] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/34#post_37953582]main post[/url][/right] [columns][center][item=avian gemstaff][/center][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][color=#D1B300][font=garamond][size=7][size=4][b]night shift[/b][/size][/size][/font][/color] [size=2]written by [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/1707590]Tues[/url] [color=#9494A9]1,656 words[/color][/size][/columns] [color=#0A3D67]Above Kemuel’s nest, a lantern flares to life. For a moment, it smokes and burns with a soft white light, gently illuminating the room and waking its warden. When she turns toward it, though, wiping the sleep from her eyes, the lantern pops and smokes ruby red. She snuffs it by throwing a heavy salamander scale cloth over the sconce. This room does not belong only to her; at the far end of the cavernous space sleeps [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31129731]Kundalini[/url], who is best left in slumber. No sense in waking the beast within, not with intruders wandering about. As she turns toward the door, a hooded snout pokes through the beaded curtains. “Go on, [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30114429]Rhadamanthes[/url]. I know they’re here.” She shoulders past him before he can speak, her Celestial Attendant almost bouncing off the Imperial’s broad nose. He is a worrier, from what she’s gathered in her short time underground; according to [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25050569]Rhian[/url] and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25261821]Regius[/url], he once dwelled in a mine and devoured every living soul that came near, actions which haunt him still. But Kemuel doesn’t mind. If he hasn’t consumed the catacombs yet, he probably never will. Seeing [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28748526]Taueret[/url] behind Rhadamanthes, though, gives her some pause. The Mistress of the Horizon is hardly inclined to show fear, from what Kemuel has gathered so far. “You’re worried, too.” It’s not a question, and judging by the way Taueret’s frown deepens, Kemuel is right. The two other dragons follow her as she makes her way to the newest room, freshly carved out with earth magics, equipped with all manner of trap monitors. “This is the first time we’ve had a break-in since…” Taueret trails off, then finds her spine once more, thank the deities. Kemuel has no patience for beating around the bush. “You’re untested, and we need to see that you can handle this.” But Kemuel doesn’t reply until she reaches her sanctuary, until she presses one foot against the stone that will roll away the door. “So stay and watch.” Every lantern in the room flares to life.[/color] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2257922][img]https://i.imgur.com/1nGWH5H.png[/img][/url][/center] [color=#0A3D67]The intruders are surprisingly perceptive. They know better than to touch the pool at the beginning of the labyrinth, and since the waters go undisturbed, so do the nests of Crystalplate Wasps primed to drop from the ceiling. They also manage to outfox one of Kemuel’s favorite toys, a sapphire in a gold setting, shaped like an eye. It freezes its corridor over when an unapproved dragon enters its line of sight, but the intruders have come with a fire mage to keep their party warm. “How far are they from the entrance?” asks Rhadamanthes. He stays outside the door with his snout over the threshold. The rest of him will not fit through the narrow entrance, try as he might to get a better glimpse of the magical workings inside. Taueret, though, easily let herself through, and she has made herself Kemuel’s overseer, much to Kemuel’s disdain. “They’re not there yet,” she reports, watching an enchanted map. One of Kemuel’s starry earrings marks the intruding party, and the other denotes the entrance to the catacombs proper. The earrings are remarkably close to one another, and Taueret’s words are a terse lie, told to soothe her friend’s fraying nerves. In this room, however, the only illusions are Kemuel’s. “If they realize the south wall is a glamour, they’re through,” she says, drawing a furious glare from Taueret and something like a whine from Rhadamanthes. “[i]But[/i], they’re already going the wrong way.” “A single corridor over is hardly ‘the wrong way,’” Taueret growls. “They’re still far too close for comfort.” “Then will this make you feel better?” Kemuel stares Taueret in the eye, unblinking, even as she extinguishes one of her lanterns. It looks as if it is chosen at random, but then the enchanted map shakes, and a line of ink scratches itself across the door that the intruders have just passed through. Within the borders of the room, a short line of script scrawls its way into existence, along with a sketch of an offering plate. “What belongs to you, but other people use it more than you do?” Taueret reads aloud. Kemuel smiles, and by the glow of the remaining lanterns, her headdress seems to sparkle more than usual. “I’ll save you the trouble of puzzling that out. One of them is going to have to give up their name.” The air in the room stills. Taueret’s eyes remain fixed to the map, and Kemuel watches her for any sign of relief. There is only tension, though, Taueret’s eyes flickering over the parchment, her jaw clenched tight, her claws needling their way through the fabric at the edge of the map. “Names are powerful magic,” she finally says. The words seem to ooze through her teeth, thick with fury. “And you’re asking them to just surrender that? Sacrifice it?” “Only one of them. And I’m not asking.” Another lantern falls into darkness, and sweet smoke fills the room. On the map, the walls of the room occupied by the intruders inch inward. “They can offer a name to the plate, or they can starve. Or drown. Or asphyxiate. Or battle a horde of golems, or be crushed to death by the walls. Or a thousand other things I could choose from. These catacombs are no longer a secret, and anyone who enters them knows the risks. It’s not a game.” “You treat it like it is!” Taueret snaps. “You have no right to their names. No right to that power.” “Then would you prefer I take their lives?” Kemuel counters. “Lord [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33209964]Aidan[/url] brought me to these catacombs to protect you, and he gave me authorization to use whatever force I deem necessary to keep you safe. Given how determined our guests are, and how far they’ve gotten, I don’t find it unreasonable to kill them. “But maybe I like to toy with them instead of destroying them. Maybe I enjoy a contest,” she goes on. “And maybe I’ll leave this one in your claws, Mistress of the Horizon. You decide what the price of their entry is: your lives, or one name, a single name from dragons who mean you harm?” Rhadamanthes is gone now. The choice is far too much for him to make, or perhaps he has gone to contact Lord Aidan, to ask him for aid. But Taueret stays, fuming at Kemuel, at the map, at the nature of the catacombs and at the dragons who think themselves bold enough to come calling. “The last party came armed,” Kemuel reminds her, lowering her voice. She holds a cloth over another lantern, poised to drop it at a moment’s notice. “They came with blood on their minds, and after you escaped them, your clan came to me. I don’t think I have to explain that these catacombs need a protector, not a hostess. Am I right?” Taueret draws a deep breath, but she looks anywhere but at Kemuel. “We needed someone with the skills to keep this labyrinth safe. We do not need a killer.” “The name it is, then.” Kemuel withdraws the cloth, allows the lantern to burn in silence. But Taueret is not done, not satisfied. “You don’t have to take a name, though. If you’re as clever as you say you are, you could banish them without doing any harm. You could ask [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34333591]Exodus[/url] to create an escape. You could do anything else but this. “I choose neither,” she says. “I won’t be responsible for this.” “So be it,” answers Kemuel. Before Taueret can stop her, she blows out the lantern she just spared, plunging the room into darkness save for the light of the Celestial Attendant. A shriek rings through the orb, warped as if underwater, and in the Attendant’s reflection, there are three dragons drowning in sand. Kemuel says nothing as Taueret storms from the room. It hardly comes as a surprise that the Mistress of the Horizon, so known for her steady nature, would hold to her principles. Of course she would refuse to deal in death, or even name magics. Not that it matters. The intruders did not surrender a name, and they will not be returning to the catacombs any time soon. Kemuel lights a final lantern, the one immediately beside her map, which she folds neatly and tucks into a stone drawer. The room glows with soft white light, and were anyone around to see, the dark circles beneath Kemuel’s eyes would be visible, plain as day. No one will know, though. She has a reputation to uphold if the Disillusionists are to continue to trust her with the role she has taken. They must know her as calculating, cunning, even ruthless. They must understand that she will do what it takes to protect the catacombs. They must never know that she is capable of mercy, though. What good is a guardian with a soft heart when danger calls?[/color] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2257922][img]https://i.imgur.com/1nGWH5H.png[/img][/url][/center] [color=#0A3D67]Some miles away, a fountain of sand bubbles up from beneath the earth. It spits out four dragons, each looking more disheveled than the last, before it recedes into the ground once more. They reach for one another in terror, wiping sand from their eyes, and not a single one has the courage to speak of what transpired in the world below. But all of them have their lives. All of them have their names.[/color] [right][font=Copperplate Gothic Light][color=#D1B300][size=5][b]~ The End[/b][/color][/size][/font][/right] ----- [center][color=#BBBABF][size=1][b]PREV.[/b][/size] [size=2][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/34#post_37953572]Dragon[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/1#post_2323941]Contents[/url] • Characters [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/1#post_30507351]A-M[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/1#post_30507353]N-Z[/url] • [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941#post_30507364]Stories Pt. 4[/url] | [/size][size=1][b]NEXT[/b][/size] [size=2][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/34#post_37953588]Dragon[/url][/color][/size][/center]
PREV. Dragon | Contents • Characters A-M N-ZStories Pt. 4 | NEXT Dragon

48106590.png
profile • back to main post
Avian Gemstaff
.. night shift
written by Tues
1,656 words
Above Kemuel’s nest, a lantern flares to life. For a moment, it smokes and burns with a soft white light, gently illuminating the room and waking its warden. When she turns toward it, though, wiping the sleep from her eyes, the lantern pops and smokes ruby red.

She snuffs it by throwing a heavy salamander scale cloth over the sconce. This room does not belong only to her; at the far end of the cavernous space sleeps Kundalini, who is best left in slumber. No sense in waking the beast within, not with intruders wandering about.

As she turns toward the door, a hooded snout pokes through the beaded curtains. “Go on, Rhadamanthes. I know they’re here.” She shoulders past him before he can speak, her Celestial Attendant almost bouncing off the Imperial’s broad nose. He is a worrier, from what she’s gathered in her short time underground; according to Rhian and Regius, he once dwelled in a mine and devoured every living soul that came near, actions which haunt him still. But Kemuel doesn’t mind. If he hasn’t consumed the catacombs yet, he probably never will.

Seeing Taueret behind Rhadamanthes, though, gives her some pause. The Mistress of the Horizon is hardly inclined to show fear, from what Kemuel has gathered so far. “You’re worried, too.” It’s not a question, and judging by the way Taueret’s frown deepens, Kemuel is right.

The two other dragons follow her as she makes her way to the newest room, freshly carved out with earth magics, equipped with all manner of trap monitors. “This is the first time we’ve had a break-in since…” Taueret trails off, then finds her spine once more, thank the deities. Kemuel has no patience for beating around the bush. “You’re untested, and we need to see that you can handle this.”

But Kemuel doesn’t reply until she reaches her sanctuary, until she presses one foot against the stone that will roll away the door. “So stay and watch.”

Every lantern in the room flares to life.

1nGWH5H.png
The intruders are surprisingly perceptive. They know better than to touch the pool at the beginning of the labyrinth, and since the waters go undisturbed, so do the nests of Crystalplate Wasps primed to drop from the ceiling. They also manage to outfox one of Kemuel’s favorite toys, a sapphire in a gold setting, shaped like an eye. It freezes its corridor over when an unapproved dragon enters its line of sight, but the intruders have come with a fire mage to keep their party warm.

“How far are they from the entrance?” asks Rhadamanthes. He stays outside the door with his snout over the threshold. The rest of him will not fit through the narrow entrance, try as he might to get a better glimpse of the magical workings inside.

Taueret, though, easily let herself through, and she has made herself Kemuel’s overseer, much to Kemuel’s disdain. “They’re not there yet,” she reports, watching an enchanted map. One of Kemuel’s starry earrings marks the intruding party, and the other denotes the entrance to the catacombs proper. The earrings are remarkably close to one another, and Taueret’s words are a terse lie, told to soothe her friend’s fraying nerves.

In this room, however, the only illusions are Kemuel’s. “If they realize the south wall is a glamour, they’re through,” she says, drawing a furious glare from Taueret and something like a whine from Rhadamanthes. “But, they’re already going the wrong way.”

“A single corridor over is hardly ‘the wrong way,’” Taueret growls. “They’re still far too close for comfort.”

“Then will this make you feel better?” Kemuel stares Taueret in the eye, unblinking, even as she extinguishes one of her lanterns. It looks as if it is chosen at random, but then the enchanted map shakes, and a line of ink scratches itself across the door that the intruders have just passed through. Within the borders of the room, a short line of script scrawls its way into existence, along with a sketch of an offering plate.

“What belongs to you, but other people use it more than you do?” Taueret reads aloud.

Kemuel smiles, and by the glow of the remaining lanterns, her headdress seems to sparkle more than usual. “I’ll save you the trouble of puzzling that out. One of them is going to have to give up their name.”

The air in the room stills. Taueret’s eyes remain fixed to the map, and Kemuel watches her for any sign of relief. There is only tension, though, Taueret’s eyes flickering over the parchment, her jaw clenched tight, her claws needling their way through the fabric at the edge of the map. “Names are powerful magic,” she finally says. The words seem to ooze through her teeth, thick with fury. “And you’re asking them to just surrender that? Sacrifice it?”

“Only one of them. And I’m not asking.” Another lantern falls into darkness, and sweet smoke fills the room. On the map, the walls of the room occupied by the intruders inch inward. “They can offer a name to the plate, or they can starve. Or drown. Or asphyxiate. Or battle a horde of golems, or be crushed to death by the walls. Or a thousand other things I could choose from. These catacombs are no longer a secret, and anyone who enters them knows the risks. It’s not a game.”

“You treat it like it is!” Taueret snaps. “You have no right to their names. No right to that power.”

“Then would you prefer I take their lives?” Kemuel counters. “Lord Aidan brought me to these catacombs to protect you, and he gave me authorization to use whatever force I deem necessary to keep you safe. Given how determined our guests are, and how far they’ve gotten, I don’t find it unreasonable to kill them.

“But maybe I like to toy with them instead of destroying them. Maybe I enjoy a contest,” she goes on. “And maybe I’ll leave this one in your claws, Mistress of the Horizon. You decide what the price of their entry is: your lives, or one name, a single name from dragons who mean you harm?”

Rhadamanthes is gone now. The choice is far too much for him to make, or perhaps he has gone to contact Lord Aidan, to ask him for aid. But Taueret stays, fuming at Kemuel, at the map, at the nature of the catacombs and at the dragons who think themselves bold enough to come calling.

“The last party came armed,” Kemuel reminds her, lowering her voice. She holds a cloth over another lantern, poised to drop it at a moment’s notice. “They came with blood on their minds, and after you escaped them, your clan came to me. I don’t think I have to explain that these catacombs need a protector, not a hostess. Am I right?”

Taueret draws a deep breath, but she looks anywhere but at Kemuel. “We needed someone with the skills to keep this labyrinth safe. We do not need a killer.”

“The name it is, then.” Kemuel withdraws the cloth, allows the lantern to burn in silence.

But Taueret is not done, not satisfied. “You don’t have to take a name, though. If you’re as clever as you say you are, you could banish them without doing any harm. You could ask Exodus to create an escape. You could do anything else but this.

“I choose neither,” she says. “I won’t be responsible for this.”

“So be it,” answers Kemuel. Before Taueret can stop her, she blows out the lantern she just spared, plunging the room into darkness save for the light of the Celestial Attendant. A shriek rings through the orb, warped as if underwater, and in the Attendant’s reflection, there are three dragons drowning in sand.

Kemuel says nothing as Taueret storms from the room. It hardly comes as a surprise that the Mistress of the Horizon, so known for her steady nature, would hold to her principles. Of course she would refuse to deal in death, or even name magics.

Not that it matters. The intruders did not surrender a name, and they will not be returning to the catacombs any time soon. Kemuel lights a final lantern, the one immediately beside her map, which she folds neatly and tucks into a stone drawer. The room glows with soft white light, and were anyone around to see, the dark circles beneath Kemuel’s eyes would be visible, plain as day.

No one will know, though. She has a reputation to uphold if the Disillusionists are to continue to trust her with the role she has taken. They must know her as calculating, cunning, even ruthless. They must understand that she will do what it takes to protect the catacombs.

They must never know that she is capable of mercy, though. What good is a guardian with a soft heart when danger calls?

1nGWH5H.png
Some miles away, a fountain of sand bubbles up from beneath the earth. It spits out four dragons, each looking more disheveled than the last, before it recedes into the ground once more. They reach for one another in terror, wiping sand from their eyes, and not a single one has the courage to speak of what transpired in the world below.

But all of them have their lives. All of them have their names.

~ The End

PREV. Dragon | Contents • Characters A-M N-ZStories Pt. 4 | NEXT Dragon
[right][color=#BBBABF][size=1][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941#post_2323941][b]CONTENTS[/b][/url][/size] • [size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/2#post_30507373][b]O/PC Hub[/b][/url][/size][/color][/right] [columns][center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1985777][img]https://i.imgur.com/85HdTuJ.png[/img][/url][/center][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][color=#687F67][font=garamond][size=7][size=4][b]science & engineering[/b][/size][/size][/font][/color] [font=sylfaen][size=6][color=#556979]{ overview + possible connections }[/color][/size][/font][/columns] [b][size=4][font=cambria][color=#BEA55D]»[/color] [color=#7F7745]OVERVIEW[/color][/font][/size][/b] I’ve decided to lump engineering with science, as in my lore, “engineering” has to do largely with technology and machinery than it does with art. The clan has plenty of members who are interested in science and engineering. Despite some fairly crazy and dangerous projects, most of them aren’t mad scientists, just very dedicated and curious. Researchers tend to keep to themselves while working on their projects, but are usually proud to share these once they’re complete. The clan also has some interesting inventions that are kept closely regulated, not mass-produced or loaned to other lairs [size=1]largely as useful plot devices[/size]. Similar to the artists, scientists are expected to be able to contribute to the clan’s growth. If their projects aren’t producing any fruit, they take on other jobs or hire out their expertise to bring in cash. There is somewhat less pressure on engineers to do this, since they are employed as in-house techs as a matter of course. Although many scientists and engineers use magic in their work, they are considered distinct from thaumaturgists in that magic isn’t their primary focus. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2257922][img]https://i.postimg.cc/KznvJqQf/Hor-divider-640.png[/img][/url] [b][size=4][font=cambria][color=#BEA55D]»[/color] [color=#7F7745]POSSIBLE CONNECTIONS[/color][/font][/size][/b] These dragons are open to sciencing and nerding out with other clans. [list] [*][size=2][i][b]Keywords:[/b] alchemy, Ancients, apprenticeships, astronomy, archaeology, architecture, biology, electronics, engineering, history, horticulture, inventions, ornithology, robotics[/i][/size][/list] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37463807][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/374639/37463807.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]BEAUFORT • Researcher/Scholar: Earth archaeology & history[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]archaeology, history[/i][/font] Beaufort first rose to prominence as a scholar. As a young drake, he accompanied his professors on archaeological expeditions, where his skill in Earth magic was put to good use. Though he’s mainly the clan’s Earth rep nowadays, he still maintains a collection of artifacts from all over Sornieth and is particularly knowledgeable about the history of his home Flight. • [i]Beaufort also has entries under the following fields: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/46#post_40354135]Alliances & Diplomacy[/url][/i][/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45961821][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/459619/45961821.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]CALLISTUX • Astronomer[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]astronomy[/i][/font] The clan’s astronomer, frequently mistaken for an astrologer (much to her chagrin). Callistux is very meticulous about her work, but she hasn’t distinguished herself in her field yet, and so she isn’t well-known. She does make a good living selling star charts and planispheres, however.[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=15438539][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/154386/15438539.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]CRYSTALINE • Chief Engineer[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]engineering, inventions[/i][/font] A talented inventor whose works unfortunately weren’t always the safest. Past mishaps have made him wary of experimentation, and his teaching methods are always safe and conventional -- but if he sees that his students are very skilled, he might share riskier methods and ideas. Has a variety of "dud" inventions that are dangerous or just plain unsuccessful, and he will sometimes hand these over to apprentices for refinement. Open to having students and apprentices, has no qualms about handling large groups of them. His most notable invention to date is a machine that freezes time (and bodily processes) for whoever gets caught in its range.[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50709464][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/507095/50709464.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]DELVER • Catacombs Maintenance[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]electronics, engineering[/i][/font] In charge of maintaining the defenses of the catacombs. He isn’t one for starting projects of his own and is quite close-mouthed, but those who make efforts to spend time with him will be able to pick up a lot just from observing his meticulous work.[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36760362][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/367604/36760362.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]ÉLAN • Alchemist[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]alchemy [/i][/font] A mysterious dragoness whose haughty air wards off most inquiries. She is in fact a Spring Water dragon, and with many years of study and practice, has modified her innate water-generating skills so that she can now transmute many different substances.[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46582614][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/465827/46582614.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]EUROPA • Clockmaker[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]electronics, engineering[/i][/font] Gifted with precise telekinesis, Europa manipulates various tools to create clocks, from basic timepieces to fancy works of art. She is a wanderer, traveling not just to fulfill commissions, but also to advertise her skills. • [i]Europa also has entries under the following fields: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/81#post_45921819]Commerce[/url][/i][/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33029109][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/330292/33029109.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]FAUSTINO DYEUS • Engineer, Metalworker[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]electronics, engineering, robotics [/i][/font] Although he is better known as the Master Craftsdrake, Faustino is also a competent engineer, and uses both his strength and mastery of magic to create various useful machines. He can also be relied on to cover for other engineers and technicians and do maintenance or repairs. Perhaps his greatest achievement, albeit an unintentional one, was creating [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36348118]Xialanthe[/url] with [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34898612]Aloysius’[/url] and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33007024]Camillus’[/url] help. • [i]Faustino also has entries under the following fields: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/26#post_34811547]Art[/url], [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/81#post_45921819]Commerce[/url][/i][/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34055220][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/340553/34055220.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]KARMANH • Engineer, Inventor[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]electronics, engineering, inventions, robotics[/i][/font] Even before he was awarded the post of Lightning rep, Karmanh was already a skilled inventor. He continues working in this vein, maintaining various machines around the clan or improving on lairmates’ works. He is one of the few engineers who will take on apprentices, though he is often regarded as both too brilliant and too diffident for others to keep up with. His [i]magnum opus[/i] is [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33847084]Carousel[/url], the Wildclaw automaton. • [i]Karmanh also has entries under the following fields: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/46#post_40354135]Alliances & Diplomacy[/url] [/i] [/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26683071][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/266831/26683071.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]MAKEDA • Ornithologist[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]ornithology [/i][/font] Makeda was interested in birds from an early age, and perhaps because of this — or vice-versa — she soon developed the supernatural skill to speak with birds and part-avians (including some Beastclans) in their native languages. She is an avid researcher of birds and can often be found wandering outside to commune with her feathered friends. [/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24664798][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/246648/24664798.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]POLOSIM • Architect[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]apprenticeships, architecture [/i][/font] This Earth Imperial built nearly all of the lair by himself. A powerful terraformer, Polosim specializes in transmuting stone, though he relies largely on other dragons to refine his works. Though the lair is expanded less frequently nowadays, he is still active — when he is not protecting gathering parties and trainees, he can often be found giving lair tours or explaining the basic points of architecture to students.[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42990299][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/429903/42990299.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]SIGMA • Horticulturist[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]horticulture[/i][/font] Sigma originally got into horticulture as a hobby; eventually he started studying plant life more seriously. He is a haughty drake who doesn’t really like sharing the fruits of his research, though he might make exceptions for scientists whom he considers as brilliant and dedicated as himself.[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51935013][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/519351/51935013.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]VINCENT • Researcher/Scholar: Ancient Breeds[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]Ancients, apprenticeships, history[/i][/font] Vincent left behind a promising medical career to delve deeper into the legends of Ancients. At the time he began his research, Ancient breeds were considered mythological; when the Gaolers resurfaced, he and his colleagues were hailed as pioneers in the field. He had the privilege of adopting and raising a Gaoler child, and he now teaches other dragons what he knows of Ancient breeds.[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48568080][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/battlesprites/485681/48568080.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]..[/color][nextcol][font=cambria][color=#687F67][size=4][b]YONWOOD • Biologist[/b][/size][/color] [b]Keywords:[/b] [i]apprenticeships, biology [/i][/font] A passionate biologist from the Viridian Labyrinth. Yonwood is both intrigued and delighted by the flora and fauna of her homeland, and she still spends much of her time there. She runs her own research outpost, Tree Den, and is always glad to welcome other researchers and students.[/columns] [right][color=#BBBABF][size=1][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941#post_2323941][b]CONTENTS[/b][/url][/size] • [size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2323941/2#post_30507373][b]O/PC Hub[/b][/url][/size][/color][/right] -----
85HdTuJ.png
.. science & engineering
{ overview + possible connections }
» OVERVIEW
I’ve decided to lump engineering with science, as in my lore, “engineering” has to do largely with technology and machinery than it does with art.

The clan has plenty of members who are interested in science and engineering. Despite some fairly crazy and dangerous projects, most of them aren’t mad scientists, just very dedicated and curious. Researchers tend to keep to themselves while working on their projects, but are usually proud to share these once they’re complete. The clan also has some interesting inventions that are kept closely regulated, not mass-produced or loaned to other lairs largely as useful plot devices.

Similar to the artists, scientists are expected to be able to contribute to the clan’s growth. If their projects aren’t producing any fruit, they take on other jobs or hire out their expertise to bring in cash. There is somewhat less pressure on engineers to do this, since they are employed as in-house techs as a matter of course.

Although many scientists and engineers use magic in their work, they are considered distinct from thaumaturgists in that magic isn’t their primary focus.

Hor-divider-640.png

» POSSIBLE CONNECTIONS
These dragons are open to sciencing and nerding out with other clans.
  • Keywords: alchemy, Ancients, apprenticeships, astronomy, archaeology, architecture, biology, electronics, engineering, history, horticulture, inventions, ornithology, robotics

37463807.png .. BEAUFORT • Researcher/Scholar: Earth archaeology & history
Keywords: archaeology, history

Beaufort first rose to prominence as a scholar. As a young drake, he accompanied his professors on archaeological expeditions, where his skill in Earth magic was put to good use. Though he’s mainly the clan’s Earth rep nowadays, he still maintains a collection of artifacts from all over Sornieth and is particularly knowledgeable about the history of his home Flight.
Beaufort also has entries under the following fields: Alliances & Diplomacy

45961821.png .. CALLISTUX • Astronomer
Keywords: astronomy

The clan’s astronomer, frequently mistaken for an astrologer (much to her chagrin). Callistux is very meticulous about her work, but she hasn’t distinguished herself in her field yet, and so she isn’t well-known. She does make a good living selling star charts and planispheres, however.

15438539.png .. CRYSTALINE • Chief Engineer
Keywords: engineering, inventions

A talented inventor whose works unfortunately weren’t always the safest. Past mishaps have made him wary of experimentation, and his teaching methods are always safe and conventional -- but if he sees that his students are very skilled, he might share riskier methods and ideas. Has a variety of "dud" inventions that are dangerous or just plain unsuccessful, and he will sometimes hand these over to apprentices for refinement. Open to having students and apprentices, has no qualms about handling large groups of them.
His most notable invention to date is a machine that freezes time (and bodily processes) for whoever gets caught in its range.

50709464.png .. DELVER • Catacombs Maintenance
Keywords: electronics, engineering

In charge of maintaining the defenses of the catacombs. He isn’t one for starting projects of his own and is quite close-mouthed, but those who make efforts to spend time with him will be able to pick up a lot just from observing his meticulous work.

36760362.png .. ÉLAN • Alchemist
Keywords: alchemy

A mysterious dragoness whose haughty air wards off most inquiries. She is in fact a Spring Water dragon, and with many years of study and practice, has modified her innate water-generating skills so that she can now transmute many different substances.

46582614.png .. EUROPA • Clockmaker
Keywords: electronics, engineering

Gifted with precise telekinesis, Europa manipulates various tools to create clocks, from basic timepieces to fancy works of art. She is a wanderer, traveling not just to fulfill commissions, but also to advertise her skills.
Europa also has entries under the following fields: Commerce

33029109.png .. FAUSTINO DYEUS • Engineer, Metalworker
Keywords: electronics, engineering, robotics

Although he is better known as the Master Craftsdrake, Faustino is also a competent engineer, and uses both his strength and mastery of magic to create various useful machines. He can also be relied on to cover for other engineers and technicians and do maintenance or repairs.
Perhaps his greatest achievement, albeit an unintentional one, was creating Xialanthe with Aloysius’ and Camillus’ help.
Faustino also has entries under the following fields: Art, Commerce

34055220.png .. KARMANH • Engineer, Inventor
Keywords: electronics, engineering, inventions, robotics

Even before he was awarded the post of Lightning rep, Karmanh was already a skilled inventor. He continues working in this vein, maintaining various machines around the clan or improving on lairmates’ works. He is one of the few engineers who will take on apprentices, though he is often regarded as both too brilliant and too diffident for others to keep up with.
His magnum opus is Carousel, the Wildclaw automaton.
Karmanh also has entries under the following fields: Alliances & Diplomacy

26683071.png .. MAKEDA • Ornithologist
Keywords: ornithology

Makeda was interested in birds from an early age, and perhaps because of this — or vice-versa — she soon developed the supernatural skill to speak with birds and part-avians (including some Beastclans) in their native languages. She is an avid researcher of birds and can often be found wandering outside to commune with her feathered friends.

24664798.png .. POLOSIM • Architect
Keywords: apprenticeships, architecture

This Earth Imperial built nearly all of the lair by himself. A powerful terraformer, Polosim specializes in transmuting stone, though he relies largely on other dragons to refine his works. Though the lair is expanded less frequently nowadays, he is still active — when he is not protecting gathering parties and trainees, he can often be found giving lair tours or explaining the basic points of architecture to students.

42990299.png .. SIGMA • Horticulturist
Keywords: horticulture

Sigma originally got into horticulture as a hobby; eventually he started studying plant life more seriously. He is a haughty drake who doesn’t really like sharing the fruits of his research, though he might make exceptions for scientists whom he considers as brilliant and dedicated as himself.

51935013.png .. VINCENT • Researcher/Scholar: Ancient Breeds
Keywords: Ancients, apprenticeships, history

Vincent left behind a promising medical career to delve deeper into the legends of Ancients. At the time he began his research, Ancient breeds were considered mythological; when the Gaolers resurfaced, he and his colleagues were hailed as pioneers in the field. He had the privilege of adopting and raising a Gaoler child, and he now teaches other dragons what he knows of Ancient breeds.
48568080.png .. YONWOOD • Biologist
Keywords: apprenticeships, biology

A passionate biologist from the Viridian Labyrinth. Yonwood is both intrigued and delighted by the flora and fauna of her homeland, and she still spends much of her time there. She runs her own research outpost, Tree Den, and is always glad to welcome other researchers and students.

1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 99 100