Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Improving my Art?
1 2 3
@AngelOfMetal

Ack, that's terrible. I can see why you wouldn't want to risk it again.
I had no issues downloading/installing Krita. It's good for art, I only use GIMP to resize and slightly edit photos now.

There are several other free ones and some much cheaper than Photoshop that give free trials. I can't really recommend any specific ones since I liked that one enough to stick with it.
@AngelOfMetal

Ack, that's terrible. I can see why you wouldn't want to risk it again.
I had no issues downloading/installing Krita. It's good for art, I only use GIMP to resize and slightly edit photos now.

There are several other free ones and some much cheaper than Photoshop that give free trials. I can't really recommend any specific ones since I liked that one enough to stick with it.
kgy5Kme.png
@AngelOfMetal

That sucks with the Gimp. It is a safe program, but you have to download it from the actual website and not some third-party website like CNET, softonic, brothersoft, etc. Third party websites are notorious for bundling in malware, adware, and tons of unnecessary stuff like toolbars. Why else would they bother hosting it on their website when it's free straight from the developer?

FYI, this is the official website for krita:
https://krita.org/en/

And the gimp if you ever want to try it again:
https://www.gimp.org/

Just another tip, you'll want to learn the proportions of the human body. If you want to make a convincing human, the proportions *have* to be correct. There are a lot of little tricks you can learn there, like that the legs make up half of a person's total height, and the elbow should line up with the bottom of the ribcage.

Here's a longer tutorial about it:
https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/human-anatomy-fundamentals-basic-body-proportions--vector-18254
@AngelOfMetal

That sucks with the Gimp. It is a safe program, but you have to download it from the actual website and not some third-party website like CNET, softonic, brothersoft, etc. Third party websites are notorious for bundling in malware, adware, and tons of unnecessary stuff like toolbars. Why else would they bother hosting it on their website when it's free straight from the developer?

FYI, this is the official website for krita:
https://krita.org/en/

And the gimp if you ever want to try it again:
https://www.gimp.org/

Just another tip, you'll want to learn the proportions of the human body. If you want to make a convincing human, the proportions *have* to be correct. There are a lot of little tricks you can learn there, like that the legs make up half of a person's total height, and the elbow should line up with the bottom of the ribcage.

Here's a longer tutorial about it:
https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/human-anatomy-fundamentals-basic-body-proportions--vector-18254
They look great! I recommend using pose references.

If you have an Iphone, there is an app called cam scanner which can help you get solid white backgrounds.

For hair, try to loosen up a bit. Have less jaggedy points and make it look more flowing by making it slightly less symmetrical, and join some of the points together to avoid that spikey look.
They look great! I recommend using pose references.

If you have an Iphone, there is an app called cam scanner which can help you get solid white backgrounds.

For hair, try to loosen up a bit. Have less jaggedy points and make it look more flowing by making it slightly less symmetrical, and join some of the points together to avoid that spikey look.
@galleytrotter @CayCay @Echonerve @Amif @AboveClouds @PigzFairy

Thank you all. Now for the important part: practice. If it's ok, I'd like to practice with one of your dragons. Just post one that you'll let me practice with, if you want. I'll do this for free. Thank you.
@galleytrotter @CayCay @Echonerve @Amif @AboveClouds @PigzFairy

Thank you all. Now for the important part: practice. If it's ok, I'd like to practice with one of your dragons. Just post one that you'll let me practice with, if you want. I'll do this for free. Thank you.
4xd1oW3.png
Oh, that's very kind of you! :D Hmmm... Moana might be interesting? If she's not to your taste, feel free to browse my dragons and pick any that you like better haha [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21164408] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/211645/21164408_350.png[/img] [/url]
Oh, that's very kind of you! :D

Hmmm... Moana might be interesting? If she's not to your taste, feel free to browse my dragons and pick any that you like better haha

21164408_350.png
ZNhRsiG.png
@AngelOfMetal

If you'd like to do more than one, pick anyone in my lair who has a familiar! :D
@AngelOfMetal

If you'd like to do more than one, pick anyone in my lair who has a familiar! :D
@AngelOfMetal

I think everyone seemed to cover all the feedback on your drawing. Anatomy is definitely key! (I say as I myself do not study it properly- oops).
It looks really good so far though ^^

For programs if you want to draw digitally here's a few free ones you can get from their official sites that are safe.
Krita, MedibangPro, Fire Alpaca, SAI is very popular and has a 30 day trial :)
@AngelOfMetal

I think everyone seemed to cover all the feedback on your drawing. Anatomy is definitely key! (I say as I myself do not study it properly- oops).
It looks really good so far though ^^

For programs if you want to draw digitally here's a few free ones you can get from their official sites that are safe.
Krita, MedibangPro, Fire Alpaca, SAI is very popular and has a 30 day trial :)
@AngelOfMetal

I can second Fire Alpaca, I found out of all the ones I tried, FA was the best!
@AngelOfMetal

I can second Fire Alpaca, I found out of all the ones I tried, FA was the best!
@angelofmetal
overall, your gijinkas are very cute! however, i would recommend practicing a bit more with your anatomy. the shape of the head looks like it was formed w/out guidelines, so try using those for more accurate features. and like some others said, the positions don't seem very realistic. maybe when you open up shop, you can have different prices for different mediums. seeing as colored pencil isn't very fast but if you shade right, looks good, it could be one of the most expensive. the least would probably be marker, as it is (probably) fastest. anyway, i hope i helped! i'm not the best at humans, but have been practicing them.
@angelofmetal
overall, your gijinkas are very cute! however, i would recommend practicing a bit more with your anatomy. the shape of the head looks like it was formed w/out guidelines, so try using those for more accurate features. and like some others said, the positions don't seem very realistic. maybe when you open up shop, you can have different prices for different mediums. seeing as colored pencil isn't very fast but if you shade right, looks good, it could be one of the most expensive. the least would probably be marker, as it is (probably) fastest. anyway, i hope i helped! i'm not the best at humans, but have been practicing them.
UOO8oB4.png
KdJtVsv.png
Rw7uKRS.png
mlHpBMC.png
@Calia

@Lunadream

Downloading FireAlpaca right now. Based on the site, this looks like a really good program.

@galleytrotter

@CayCay

I'll do Moana and Ryder.

@Brambleclaw4

I like the idea of different prices for different mediums. Since I'm best at coloured pencils, I'll price that at 6000T or 7G, oil pastels at 5000T or 6G and if I ever find my markers, I'll come up with a price.

Thank you.
@Calia

@Lunadream

Downloading FireAlpaca right now. Based on the site, this looks like a really good program.

@galleytrotter

@CayCay

I'll do Moana and Ryder.

@Brambleclaw4

I like the idea of different prices for different mediums. Since I'm best at coloured pencils, I'll price that at 6000T or 7G, oil pastels at 5000T or 6G and if I ever find my markers, I'll come up with a price.

Thank you.
4xd1oW3.png
1 2 3