Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Migrants from Oakrest
1 2 ... 605 606 607 608 609 ... 1584 1585
@tehcoffeezombie

Hey! :> I totally understand unsatisfying commission results (like people not listening, or things getting lost in translation somehow) and it stings! I think the little story/lore type bit you made for that is pretty hilarious (like not hurting his delicate skin by punching pillows rather than walls... lol, I tried echoing that in what I have so far. also his being more quixotic... very funny to me). It's cool to talk to you and see your input on things like... Could this kid learn to focus on other things, like, to look at the bigger picture and let himself get lost a little in the tedium of everyday survival with a bunch of weird dragons who refuse to believe him that magic is a thing or think it's almost a sin not to do SOME kind of chores throughout the day?

(The answer for me is... Maybe, to an extent.)
@tehcoffeezombie

Hey! :> I totally understand unsatisfying commission results (like people not listening, or things getting lost in translation somehow) and it stings! I think the little story/lore type bit you made for that is pretty hilarious (like not hurting his delicate skin by punching pillows rather than walls... lol, I tried echoing that in what I have so far. also his being more quixotic... very funny to me). It's cool to talk to you and see your input on things like... Could this kid learn to focus on other things, like, to look at the bigger picture and let himself get lost a little in the tedium of everyday survival with a bunch of weird dragons who refuse to believe him that magic is a thing or think it's almost a sin not to do SOME kind of chores throughout the day?

(The answer for me is... Maybe, to an extent.)
GM - echoing the sentiment that you captured the "cursed art" writing really well. X3 what a delight! I love that Crownfire's way of dealing with tantrums in grown dragons is the same as my way of dealing with it in children. "Oh, that's nice. Here, do a thing, will you?" Very fun. :D

Also those of you who were lamenting (??) not ever playing neopets - man that game was messed up. But I have some GREAT NEWS (??) for you! IT'S STILL AROUND. You, too, may try to steal a piece of the enormous omelette and fend off internet trolls and otherwise run through the horrifying excuse of an economy! NEVER FEAR!!!

I had an account when I was Very Young (tm) and honestly probably should not have been on the internet at that age. But sometime during a small break from it (six months?) my account got frozen for some reason I never knew the reason behind, so I left. I always played Gormball, because wow it's like hot potato but with random prizes. And I am a kid who will always push the button that says "small electrocute self" if there's even a remote chance of also "tastykakes fall out!" happening. That stupid game is straight-up proof that skinner boxes work, man.
GM - echoing the sentiment that you captured the "cursed art" writing really well. X3 what a delight! I love that Crownfire's way of dealing with tantrums in grown dragons is the same as my way of dealing with it in children. "Oh, that's nice. Here, do a thing, will you?" Very fun. :D

Also those of you who were lamenting (??) not ever playing neopets - man that game was messed up. But I have some GREAT NEWS (??) for you! IT'S STILL AROUND. You, too, may try to steal a piece of the enormous omelette and fend off internet trolls and otherwise run through the horrifying excuse of an economy! NEVER FEAR!!!

I had an account when I was Very Young (tm) and honestly probably should not have been on the internet at that age. But sometime during a small break from it (six months?) my account got frozen for some reason I never knew the reason behind, so I left. I always played Gormball, because wow it's like hot potato but with random prizes. And I am a kid who will always push the button that says "small electrocute self" if there's even a remote chance of also "tastykakes fall out!" happening. That stupid game is straight-up proof that skinner boxes work, man.
@Salathielly

Nah, don't feel bad. You did your best. yay on the tea thing. ^^ I'm glad he helped with something. xD

@graphicmacaroon

I'm glad you liked it. xD And his vanity comes from his original namesake. I first named him Shiji after Zhong Hui (chinese courtesy name thing. + FR doesn't let us use spaces). So it was kinda.. lol.. that the vainest one.. gets multiple failed commissions.

The name Kuroyuki comes from an otome called Nightshade, as does the bit about ninja stuff in the notes that never really panned out.

And for even more notes.. if you wanted them at all.

Also, at least within my lore that I never wrote he /could/ focus on other things besides himself, that's just.. not always good. Siyuan (my clan's boss) was pretty fed up with him because he was plotting to overthrow him and run the coffee shop himself.. all because he thought his friend Ishida was being treated unfairly. Ishida didn't know, and wouldn't have approved of this little rebellion. So you could say he was just a bit yandere?

As for chores, if he's got some incentive (like.. no food for you if you don't do them..) or.. (you get money if you do them), he'll go along without too much grumbling. He also liked keeping his own spaces very neat.

Oh yeah, and he was originally a tundra. So.. he didn't remember much of his life pre-coatl, but you could play with that pretty easily if you wanted.

His friends (the ones in the blob) are still in my lair btw.
@Salathielly

Nah, don't feel bad. You did your best. yay on the tea thing. ^^ I'm glad he helped with something. xD

@graphicmacaroon

I'm glad you liked it. xD And his vanity comes from his original namesake. I first named him Shiji after Zhong Hui (chinese courtesy name thing. + FR doesn't let us use spaces). So it was kinda.. lol.. that the vainest one.. gets multiple failed commissions.

The name Kuroyuki comes from an otome called Nightshade, as does the bit about ninja stuff in the notes that never really panned out.

And for even more notes.. if you wanted them at all.

Also, at least within my lore that I never wrote he /could/ focus on other things besides himself, that's just.. not always good. Siyuan (my clan's boss) was pretty fed up with him because he was plotting to overthrow him and run the coffee shop himself.. all because he thought his friend Ishida was being treated unfairly. Ishida didn't know, and wouldn't have approved of this little rebellion. So you could say he was just a bit yandere?

As for chores, if he's got some incentive (like.. no food for you if you don't do them..) or.. (you get money if you do them), he'll go along without too much grumbling. He also liked keeping his own spaces very neat.

Oh yeah, and he was originally a tundra. So.. he didn't remember much of his life pre-coatl, but you could play with that pretty easily if you wanted.

His friends (the ones in the blob) are still in my lair btw.
iXNOttm.gif
(this is directed at ixris lol) HOLY COW I just felt so crazy and out of touch when I realized I had no idea what you were saying at the end of that last paragraph... I'm laughing so hard.

As kids we weren't really allowed online so I mostly just played Oregon Trail because that's pretty cool. :D When I was allowed to get online finally, I ended up on Gaia because of a friend at school.

Also, yeah- Crownfire dragons are like... "No... No look, we have things we need to deliver and stuff. Like you can do this but just... Organize those oranges or something while you do, I guess. I mean it's cool but just... We have to get this stuff packed up for the next festival so... Scoot... Scoot!"
(this is directed at ixris lol) HOLY COW I just felt so crazy and out of touch when I realized I had no idea what you were saying at the end of that last paragraph... I'm laughing so hard.

As kids we weren't really allowed online so I mostly just played Oregon Trail because that's pretty cool. :D When I was allowed to get online finally, I ended up on Gaia because of a friend at school.

Also, yeah- Crownfire dragons are like... "No... No look, we have things we need to deliver and stuff. Like you can do this but just... Organize those oranges or something while you do, I guess. I mean it's cool but just... We have to get this stuff packed up for the next festival so... Scoot... Scoot!"
What can I say, I am the dragon watcher over-er. c: If I can keep track of them, I'll make sure they stay safe and loved. <3 <3

What can I say, I am the dragon watcher over-er. c: If I can keep track of them, I'll make sure they stay safe and loved. <3 <3

5M41Txb.png 5u7Rre4.png
ixris - Yeah, don't need anything else to toy with on the internet at the moment. xD;; *stares at this site that absorbs most of my online time*

GM - Oh man Oregon Trail. That game made me sad, lol. Despite the amount of historical fiction I read set in that time period as a child, I sucked at keeping settlers alive. And yep, same, Gaia. *stares at site that formerly absorbed most of my online time before FR*

@tehcoffeezombie

Haha, I saw him as kind of trying to recreate something of your clan's cafe with my clan's coffee shop, except failing, though we did end up with a tea dragon, so he was...kind of successful, in a way. xD

Edit: CF can hopefully attest that I tried really hard to get him to a good home. xD
ixris - Yeah, don't need anything else to toy with on the internet at the moment. xD;; *stares at this site that absorbs most of my online time*

GM - Oh man Oregon Trail. That game made me sad, lol. Despite the amount of historical fiction I read set in that time period as a child, I sucked at keeping settlers alive. And yep, same, Gaia. *stares at site that formerly absorbed most of my online time before FR*

@tehcoffeezombie

Haha, I saw him as kind of trying to recreate something of your clan's cafe with my clan's coffee shop, except failing, though we did end up with a tea dragon, so he was...kind of successful, in a way. xD

Edit: CF can hopefully attest that I tried really hard to get him to a good home. xD
Ssnjyqq.pngGqCYo3Z.pngMjhcEqa.png0DjJJeq.pnggbzmCjn.pnggLKyC1J.pngC4p7R9l.pngV2CeOLQ.pngeQ6UJL0.png ICOy8Af.png
GM - lololol i too am laughing at your confusion, because yeah it wasn't very clear. XD; Psychology + Southeast Pennsylvania Snack Foods + weird Neopets terminology = WHAT?????

Oh I loved Oregon Trail. Now and again I look to see if I can find a flash port of it somewhere ("Organ Trail" was a fun homage), but like wow did I love me some dying of dysentery and stuff. But like, the old 8" floppies it was on, and the black screen full of monotype fonts and terrible orange humans pretending they were skin-toned. The hunting minigame where you were just always terrible and your family doomed to starvation. Geez. That is where it was AT, man.

But my favorite game was Odell Down Under, where you played fishes in the Great Barrier Reef and like ... evolved your fish??? so that it would one day become a shark and not a goby, and you did this by learning to recognize the different face shapes of fishes and making educated guesses on whether they would be able to digest that coral they just ate or JUST DIE. I am always looking for this game, also, and literally no one I know in my adult life has ever even heard of it. It was my jam in elementary school.
GM - lololol i too am laughing at your confusion, because yeah it wasn't very clear. XD; Psychology + Southeast Pennsylvania Snack Foods + weird Neopets terminology = WHAT?????

Oh I loved Oregon Trail. Now and again I look to see if I can find a flash port of it somewhere ("Organ Trail" was a fun homage), but like wow did I love me some dying of dysentery and stuff. But like, the old 8" floppies it was on, and the black screen full of monotype fonts and terrible orange humans pretending they were skin-toned. The hunting minigame where you were just always terrible and your family doomed to starvation. Geez. That is where it was AT, man.

But my favorite game was Odell Down Under, where you played fishes in the Great Barrier Reef and like ... evolved your fish??? so that it would one day become a shark and not a goby, and you did this by learning to recognize the different face shapes of fishes and making educated guesses on whether they would be able to digest that coral they just ate or JUST DIE. I am always looking for this game, also, and literally no one I know in my adult life has ever even heard of it. It was my jam in elementary school.
I once saw a post floating around on the internet comparing the economy in Neopets to postwar East Germany. Which is probably accurate.

Also ixris, I'm pretty sure Neopets went through a couple waves of freezing/deleting inactive accounts, but if I remember correctly their idea of 'inactive' was like stupid short and made a bunch of people mad.

GM- A friend of mine recently convinced me to log back into my old Gaia account. The economy tanked so hard omg. Prices of items with the in-game currency was in the billions.
I once saw a post floating around on the internet comparing the economy in Neopets to postwar East Germany. Which is probably accurate.

Also ixris, I'm pretty sure Neopets went through a couple waves of freezing/deleting inactive accounts, but if I remember correctly their idea of 'inactive' was like stupid short and made a bunch of people mad.

GM- A friend of mine recently convinced me to log back into my old Gaia account. The economy tanked so hard omg. Prices of items with the in-game currency was in the billions.
ixris - That sounds like a really neat game, but I sadly have never heard of it either. :c

Scar - Lol, yep, that's Gaia. I sometimes get confused going from here to there because of having to mentally add zeroes to things.
ixris - That sounds like a really neat game, but I sadly have never heard of it either. :c

Scar - Lol, yep, that's Gaia. I sometimes get confused going from here to there because of having to mentally add zeroes to things.
Ssnjyqq.pngGqCYo3Z.pngMjhcEqa.png0DjJJeq.pnggbzmCjn.pnggLKyC1J.pngC4p7R9l.pngV2CeOLQ.pngeQ6UJL0.png ICOy8Af.png
scar - if you ever stumble upon that economics comparison post again one day, I am so down to read that.

And ah! That was probably it, then. I remember staring at it and just being like "... but ... i wanted... I JUST WANTED TO PLAY GORMBALL DARN YOU!!! >:\ AND SAY HELLO TO MY KAU. GEEZ."

Whoo I am so glad I cannot remember my gaia login info. I have not played since I was in high school, but the forums were such a wreck back then. Y'all are way braver than I with your gaia accounts and what.
scar - if you ever stumble upon that economics comparison post again one day, I am so down to read that.

And ah! That was probably it, then. I remember staring at it and just being like "... but ... i wanted... I JUST WANTED TO PLAY GORMBALL DARN YOU!!! >:\ AND SAY HELLO TO MY KAU. GEEZ."

Whoo I am so glad I cannot remember my gaia login info. I have not played since I was in high school, but the forums were such a wreck back then. Y'all are way braver than I with your gaia accounts and what.
1 2 ... 605 606 607 608 609 ... 1584 1585