Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | What Remains: A Pinkerton Nuzlocke
1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
[center][b]Day 382:[/b][item=Green Algae][/center] Lyra was in the lead today and went out with Belina and Larkspur to the blooming grove. 20 battles was not enough for everyone to get a level but it was just enough to tip Lyra up to lvl 13 [center][b]Day 382:[/b][item=Malachite Agate][/center] It was turning out to be quite a nice day in the woods. Rey had finished checking the traps early and had agreed to accompany Larkspur and Lyra out into a part of the woods that the other dragons had only just mapped. Lyra was very glad for the company, while she could handle herself okay in a fight, probably, Rey’s sharp eyes and self assurance made up for her lack of confidence. The idea was, according to Larkspur at least, that the soil would be different and they would have a better chance of finding helpful plants for illnesses there. It seemed logical enough, and though it was quite the trek, the plants around them slowly changed. This wasn’t quite enough for Larkspur who led them off the edge of the map. “Your hearing better be enough to get us back,” said Rey from his position on Lyra’s back. Larkspur bobbed his head “I will listen for the (ah) bees but for now -” He crowed in delight, and darted forwards so fast Lyra nearly lost him in the tangle. “The water!” A fen opened up before them, there was barely any water visible but after a few steps it puddled around their feet with every step. Larkspur immediately set about his search, delighted with the variety of new plants that this niche ecosystem provided while Lyra, with Rey still on her back, was simply happy to take in the change of scenery. Since she couldn’t hear plants like Larkspur could it was unlikely she’d find anything specifically medicinally useful but she might find something pretty or better yet, edible to bring back. This wasn’t nearly as pressing as the plants Larkspur was looking for, especially with not only Larkspur and Penthesilea but Diedrich and Belina having another clutch on the way, still Lyra liked to feel like she was making herself helpful regardless. Some of the vegetation was familiar, like the starmoss that grew plentifully throughout the woods but there were many species she didn’t recognize tucked amid the grasses and sedge. Curious flowers with sticky ball like fronds, though Lyra couldn’t see a reason for it, plump overripe berries nearing the end of their season and buzzing with insects, and what appeared to be the cap of a strange black mushroom with blue spots in a section of flooded deadwood where many of the trees had fallen. Its size wasn’t strange for the woods but the colouration was. Lyra picked her way over carefully to avoid sink holes hidden in the mud, determined to get a closer look. Larkspur always spoke highly of mushrooms and Lyra found them at the very least, both easy to grow and rather delicious. She was taken aback and somewhat surprised to find when she finally peeked over the pile of fallen logs to find a wide green dragon wearing a mushroom top as a hat. “Are you lost?” asked Lyra, though the dragon didn’t look it. His eyes were closed and he might have been sleeping. Lyra could feel Rey shift slightly to be in a better position if anything went wrong. “Oh no,” said the dragon, who wasn’t a sort that Lyra recognized though she knew there were many in Sornieth. He didn’t open his eyes. “I just pulled over here to meditate, it was just like so peaceful, y’know? And you get a good breeze here, so crazy the Windsinger can reach his children just where ever, so I wanted to take some time to just enjoy nature and like... commune.” Lyra struggled to follow the draconian in an unfamiliar accent but she recognized the name of the Windsinger. It was one of the few deities names she remembered from her lessons besides the Shadowbinder. When she had been younger she sometimes wondered if he heard her singing and thought that one day if fate allowed she’d like to visit the Windswept Plateau and hear what sort of music they made there. She doubted Rey caught much more of it. “So you’re from the wind flight,” she said, grasping on to the one thing she was sure of. The dragon opened his bright green eyes, “Yeah, that’s right. I figured I’d just like wander the world and see what happened. The winds go everywhere why shouldn’t I?” “Would you like to come home with us?” asked Lyra. If nothing else she wanted this strange green dragon to stay a few nights. He could tell her stories of his home, perhaps if she was lucky teach her a few songs. “Sure, sure,” said the dragon pleasantly. He stood up, seeming nonplussed at the fallen trunk and branches that had fallen on him even as splinters hung to his mud-stained vest. Lyra wondered exactly how long he’d been meditating there or if he’d even noticed when the tree fell. “What are you doing?” whistled Rey with quiet urgency. Lyra turned to lead their guest back to reconvene with Larkspur. “I’m inviting him to stay for a little bit, no harm in that.” “We met him [i]moments[/i] ago, how do you know he isn’t dangerous?” demanded Rey. “If he’s dangerous than Larkspur will say something. Besides, you know it’s dangerous to be alone out here.” “Is that some sort of like secret code you guys talk in?” asked the dragon, plodding placidly behind, stretching out his legs to place his feet in Lyra’s prints. “Um, no,” said Lyra, “It’s just how we talk.” “Wow, that’s like really cool,” said the dragon. “Anyways, since I’m staying with you guys and everything for a while, I’m Ulysses. Do you folks do names?” “Is he stupid?” asked Rey, pointedly not looking behind him. Lyra ignored him, and instead gave their names to Ulysses. He seemed surprised to find them so ‘normal’ as he termed it but Lyra had no gauge for what he meant by that. Fortunately for her, and much to Rey’s increased indignation, Larkspur did not find anything objectionable about Ulysses though he was too busy fussing over his cuttings and samples to be particularly critical. MaryLou didn’t see any harm with Ulysses staying either when they returned to the lair, so the matter was settled and Rey went to go complain to his snails while Lyra did her best not to bombard Ulysses with questions. Ulysses, however, appeared to have the patience of a stone and answered all her questions with good humour, though Lyra didn’t always understand all of his answers. She quietly determined she would spend some time with MaryLou in the library brushing up on her draconian. He even asked some questions of his own, though he seemed more happy to let Lyra talk where ever her thoughts took her. By the time the moon was high in the sky, Lyra was exhausted though her store of questions wasn’t. She was fascinated by Ulysses talk of a great floating city called the Cloudsong, his travels across The Sea of A Thousand Currents and his tales of a giant rampaging three headed monster reanimated from the corpses of dead dragons. Still, she could barely keep her eyes open, so she offered to find Ulysses a place to sleep before she went to bed herself. “I don’t, like do that,” he said, “so no need to fuss.” “What?” said Lyra, certain she had misheard. “I don’t sleep,” Ulysses said cheerful. “Trade for not flying I guess. I’ll likely just meditate in the garden ‘till the mists like, clear a bit.” “Oh okay,” Lyra said. She had thought sleep was a thing all dragons did, this just made Ulysses more mysterious to her. As she curled up in the little hollow she’d constructed for herself near the entrance of the lair, Lyra couldn’t help but hope that the wind didn’t blow Ulysses elsewhere too soon. The world was so wide, and who knew what else he had seen. Lyra went to sleep dreaming of a never ending storm over endless water, and at the centre one bright green eye. *********************************** oooooh someone's crushing bad! Also Larkspur's and Penthesilea's nest hatched today, unfortunately, neither child survived. So both the pale girl and the screaming pink boy are up for grabs if anyone's so inclined: [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92389570][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/923896/92389570_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92389571][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/923896/92389571_350.png[/img][/url][/center] @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right]
Day 382: Green Algae

Lyra was in the lead today and went out with Belina and Larkspur to the blooming grove. 20 battles was not enough for everyone to get a level but it was just enough to tip Lyra up to lvl 13
Day 382: Malachite Agate

It was turning out to be quite a nice day in the woods. Rey had finished checking the traps early and had agreed to accompany Larkspur and Lyra out into a part of the woods that the other dragons had only just mapped. Lyra was very glad for the company, while she could handle herself okay in a fight, probably, Rey’s sharp eyes and self assurance made up for her lack of confidence.

The idea was, according to Larkspur at least, that the soil would be different and they would have a better chance of finding helpful plants for illnesses there. It seemed logical enough, and though it was quite the trek, the plants around them slowly changed. This wasn’t quite enough for Larkspur who led them off the edge of the map.

“Your hearing better be enough to get us back,” said Rey from his position on Lyra’s back.

Larkspur bobbed his head “I will listen for the (ah) bees but for now -”

He crowed in delight, and darted forwards so fast Lyra nearly lost him in the tangle. “The water!”

A fen opened up before them, there was barely any water visible but after a few steps it puddled around their feet with every step. Larkspur immediately set about his search, delighted with the variety of new plants that this niche ecosystem provided while Lyra, with Rey still on her back, was simply happy to take in the change of scenery.

Since she couldn’t hear plants like Larkspur could it was unlikely she’d find anything specifically medicinally useful but she might find something pretty or better yet, edible to bring back. This wasn’t nearly as pressing as the plants Larkspur was looking for, especially with not only Larkspur and Penthesilea but Diedrich and Belina having another clutch on the way, still Lyra liked to feel like she was making herself helpful regardless.

Some of the vegetation was familiar, like the starmoss that grew plentifully throughout the woods but there were many species she didn’t recognize tucked amid the grasses and sedge. Curious flowers with sticky ball like fronds, though Lyra couldn’t see a reason for it, plump overripe berries nearing the end of their season and buzzing with insects, and what appeared to be the cap of a strange black mushroom with blue spots in a section of flooded deadwood where many of the trees had fallen. Its size wasn’t strange for the woods but the colouration was.

Lyra picked her way over carefully to avoid sink holes hidden in the mud, determined to get a closer look. Larkspur always spoke highly of mushrooms and Lyra found them at the very least, both easy to grow and rather delicious.

She was taken aback and somewhat surprised to find when she finally peeked over the pile of fallen logs to find a wide green dragon wearing a mushroom top as a hat.

“Are you lost?” asked Lyra, though the dragon didn’t look it. His eyes were closed and he might have been sleeping. Lyra could feel Rey shift slightly to be in a better position if anything went wrong.

“Oh no,” said the dragon, who wasn’t a sort that Lyra recognized though she knew there were many in Sornieth. He didn’t open his eyes. “I just pulled over here to meditate, it was just like so peaceful, y’know? And you get a good breeze here, so crazy the Windsinger can reach his children just where ever, so I wanted to take some time to just enjoy nature and like... commune.”

Lyra struggled to follow the draconian in an unfamiliar accent but she recognized the name of the Windsinger. It was one of the few deities names she remembered from her lessons besides the Shadowbinder. When she had been younger she sometimes wondered if he heard her singing and thought that one day if fate allowed she’d like to visit the Windswept Plateau and hear what sort of music they made there. She doubted Rey caught much more of it.

“So you’re from the wind flight,” she said, grasping on to the one thing she was sure of.

The dragon opened his bright green eyes, “Yeah, that’s right. I figured I’d just like wander the world and see what happened. The winds go everywhere why shouldn’t I?”

“Would you like to come home with us?” asked Lyra. If nothing else she wanted this strange green dragon to stay a few nights. He could tell her stories of his home, perhaps if she was lucky teach her a few songs.

“Sure, sure,” said the dragon pleasantly. He stood up, seeming nonplussed at the fallen trunk and branches that had fallen on him even as splinters hung to his mud-stained vest. Lyra wondered exactly how long he’d been meditating there or if he’d even noticed when the tree fell.

“What are you doing?” whistled Rey with quiet urgency.

Lyra turned to lead their guest back to reconvene with Larkspur. “I’m inviting him to stay for a little bit, no harm in that.”

“We met him moments ago, how do you know he isn’t dangerous?” demanded Rey.

“If he’s dangerous than Larkspur will say something. Besides, you know it’s dangerous to be alone out here.”

“Is that some sort of like secret code you guys talk in?” asked the dragon, plodding placidly behind, stretching out his legs to place his feet in Lyra’s prints.

“Um, no,” said Lyra, “It’s just how we talk.”

“Wow, that’s like really cool,” said the dragon. “Anyways, since I’m staying with you guys and everything for a while, I’m Ulysses. Do you folks do names?”

“Is he stupid?” asked Rey, pointedly not looking behind him.

Lyra ignored him, and instead gave their names to Ulysses. He seemed surprised to find them so ‘normal’ as he termed it but Lyra had no gauge for what he meant by that.

Fortunately for her, and much to Rey’s increased indignation, Larkspur did not find anything objectionable about Ulysses though he was too busy fussing over his cuttings and samples to be particularly critical. MaryLou didn’t see any harm with Ulysses staying either when they returned to the lair, so the matter was settled and Rey went to go complain to his snails while Lyra did her best not to bombard Ulysses with questions.

Ulysses, however, appeared to have the patience of a stone and answered all her questions with good humour, though Lyra didn’t always understand all of his answers. She quietly determined she would spend some time with MaryLou in the library brushing up on her draconian. He even asked some questions of his own, though he seemed more happy to let Lyra talk where ever her thoughts took her.

By the time the moon was high in the sky, Lyra was exhausted though her store of questions wasn’t. She was fascinated by Ulysses talk of a great floating city called the Cloudsong, his travels across The Sea of A Thousand Currents and his tales of a giant rampaging three headed monster reanimated from the corpses of dead dragons. Still, she could barely keep her eyes open, so she offered to find Ulysses a place to sleep before she went to bed herself.

“I don’t, like do that,” he said, “so no need to fuss.”

“What?” said Lyra, certain she had misheard.

“I don’t sleep,” Ulysses said cheerful. “Trade for not flying I guess. I’ll likely just meditate in the garden ‘till the mists like, clear a bit.”

“Oh okay,” Lyra said. She had thought sleep was a thing all dragons did, this just made Ulysses more mysterious to her.

As she curled up in the little hollow she’d constructed for herself near the entrance of the lair, Lyra couldn’t help but hope that the wind didn’t blow Ulysses elsewhere too soon. The world was so wide, and who knew what else he had seen. Lyra went to sleep dreaming of a never ending storm over endless water, and at the centre one bright green eye.

oooooh someone's crushing bad!

Also Larkspur's and Penthesilea's nest hatched today, unfortunately, neither child survived. So both the pale girl and the screaming pink boy are up for grabs if anyone's so inclined:
92389570_350.png
92389571_350.png
@What Remains Pinkerlocke
Click below to join the pinglist if you like
J64tse8.pngkkBGai5.gifNZB3p5y.png
[center][b]Day 384:[/b][item=Thunder Scarab][/center] Only 20 battles today because I got completely sidetracked and only just remembered to take a team to the coli. Lyra's again leading the pack, taking Cypri and Muslin to the Forgotten Cave. Cypri was the only one to get a level putting her at lvl 12. @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right]
Day 384: Thunder Scarab

Only 20 battles today because I got completely sidetracked and only just remembered to take a team to the coli. Lyra's again leading the pack, taking Cypri and Muslin to the Forgotten Cave. Cypri was the only one to get a level putting her at lvl 12.

[center][b]Day 385:[/b][item=Fire Grub Exoskeleton][/center] Truth be told, Penthesilea wasn’t certain if she was ready for the heartbreak of having more children. It wasn’t that some of the eggs didn’t hatch, that was alright, children whose faces she never saw, who never really lived. Sometimes when the sun hit Bug’s scales just right Penthesilea could swear she saw the ghost of SkyBlue just for a moment. She felt as if each day she understood her mother a little better. The fear that every time her daughter left her sight that would be the last time. Death happened all the time but the hurt was closer this time, tucked somewhere behind Penthesilea’s heart in a dark place she couldn’t reach. Still, when she had first clutched this nest there had been a thrill of something somewhere between hope and love. On some level she knew it was nothing but instinct, the same impulse that turned her head towards the scent of prey, but she leaned into it any ways. She was careful not to let it become an obsession, she kept her routines as best she could, switching out with others in the family for incubation duties but her eggs were always in the back of the mind the way her first two clutches hadn’t been. When only one wiggled and showed signs of hatching, Penthesilea held her breath and felt Larkspur do the same; his comforting bulk leaning over her shoulder. The first cracks appeared in the shell then paused as the hatchling struggled against another section. It wasn’t more than a few minutes but each second was a fight to restrain herself from tenderly opening the shell herself. The only thing that kept her still was the thought that her interference might injure the fragile life inside. After a small eternity, her self control was rewarded by a small snout and then a full head forcing itself out, tiny black claws scrabbling at the edges of the shell for purchase. It was like being a child again and seeing the first glimpse of herself in a still puddle, the hatchling was the same shape, and though a touch darker almost the same colour. Now free of his shell, her new son waddled on fat legs over to her and stuck his head - too big for his body, was hers like that when she hatched? - out to hers, his little forked tongue tasting the air. No one needed to tell Penthesilea that as a parent picking a favourite was cruel but the love she had for the small being in front of her eclipsed every other feeling she had ever had in her life. “Ma always said Pa’s folks were fishing people,” Penthesilea said, nudging her child affectionately with her snout. “Fisher seems like a fine name t’ me if it does t’ you,” “Mmm,” said Larkspur, and Penthesilea could tell from his tone it was already approval. “Mmm, I like that (ah) yes.” “Welcome to the woods Fisher,” said Penthesilea as Fisher yawned a wide yawn that squinched his eyes shut. [i]Gods, I hope they’re kind to you[/i]. ********************************************* Well that didn't quite shake out how I thought it was going to so have this: [center][b]Day 386:[/b][item=Pulsing Relic] [img]https://i.imgur.com/UozN4TI.png[/img][/center] @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right]
Day 385: Fire Grub Exoskeleton

Truth be told, Penthesilea wasn’t certain if she was ready for the heartbreak of having more children. It wasn’t that some of the eggs didn’t hatch, that was alright, children whose faces she never saw, who never really lived. Sometimes when the sun hit Bug’s scales just right Penthesilea could swear she saw the ghost of SkyBlue just for a moment. She felt as if each day she understood her mother a little better. The fear that every time her daughter left her sight that would be the last time. Death happened all the time but the hurt was closer this time, tucked somewhere behind Penthesilea’s heart in a dark place she couldn’t reach.

Still, when she had first clutched this nest there had been a thrill of something somewhere between hope and love. On some level she knew it was nothing but instinct, the same impulse that turned her head towards the scent of prey, but she leaned into it any ways. She was careful not to let it become an obsession, she kept her routines as best she could, switching out with others in the family for incubation duties but her eggs were always in the back of the mind the way her first two clutches hadn’t been.

When only one wiggled and showed signs of hatching, Penthesilea held her breath and felt Larkspur do the same; his comforting bulk leaning over her shoulder. The first cracks appeared in the shell then paused as the hatchling struggled against another section. It wasn’t more than a few minutes but each second was a fight to restrain herself from tenderly opening the shell herself. The only thing that kept her still was the thought that her interference might injure the fragile life inside.

After a small eternity, her self control was rewarded by a small snout and then a full head forcing itself out, tiny black claws scrabbling at the edges of the shell for purchase. It was like being a child again and seeing the first glimpse of herself in a still puddle, the hatchling was the same shape, and though a touch darker almost the same colour.

Now free of his shell, her new son waddled on fat legs over to her and stuck his head - too big for his body, was hers like that when she hatched? - out to hers, his little forked tongue tasting the air. No one needed to tell Penthesilea that as a parent picking a favourite was cruel but the love she had for the small being in front of her eclipsed every other feeling she had ever had in her life.

“Ma always said Pa’s folks were fishing people,” Penthesilea said, nudging her child affectionately with her snout. “Fisher seems like a fine name t’ me if it does t’ you,”

“Mmm,” said Larkspur, and Penthesilea could tell from his tone it was already approval. “Mmm, I like that (ah) yes.”

“Welcome to the woods Fisher,” said Penthesilea as Fisher yawned a wide yawn that squinched his eyes shut. Gods, I hope they’re kind to you.

Well that didn't quite shake out how I thought it was going to so have this:
Day 386: Pulsing Relic

UozN4TI.png

Guh I exist! Have a triple update [center][b]Day 387:[/b][item=Crop Cutter][/center] Larkspur, Costanza and Madea were chosen to go to the coli, but with the latter two being lvl 1 our chances of losing someone in the delta were pretty much garunteed. Despite starting with two wind casters for an easier fight, Costanza went down to a single hit. We might have lost Madea too but she was naturally fast enough to get a turn to defend. 30 battles later, Larkspur has gotten 1 lvl and is now at lvl 11 while Madea made it to lvl 5 despite some truly close calls. [center][b]Day 388:[/b][item=Budding Garden Trousers][/center] Put Madea and Wolf on to nest, they clutched two eggs so we'll see if we have any hatchlings joining us. [center][b]Day 389:[/b][item=Silvery Ivy][/center] Ombra, Asmat and Anome were the next dragons to head out. They went to the blooming grove and if sensing the recent loss of his mate, quite a few enemies tried to let Anome join her but after 20 battles he came out the other side with 2 more levels making him lvl 7, while Asmat snuck up to lvl 9 just before leaving @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right][center][/center]
Guh I exist! Have a triple update
Day 387: Crop Cutter

Larkspur, Costanza and Madea were chosen to go to the coli, but with the latter two being lvl 1 our chances of losing someone in the delta were pretty much garunteed. Despite starting with two wind casters for an easier fight, Costanza went down to a single hit. We might have lost Madea too but she was naturally fast enough to get a turn to defend. 30 battles later, Larkspur has gotten 1 lvl and is now at lvl 11 while Madea made it to lvl 5 despite some truly close calls.

Day 388: Budding Garden Trousers

Put Madea and Wolf on to nest, they clutched two eggs so we'll see if we have any hatchlings joining us.

Day 389: Silvery Ivy

Ombra, Asmat and Anome were the next dragons to head out. They went to the blooming grove and if sensing the recent loss of his mate, quite a few enemies tried to let Anome join her but after 20 battles he came out the other side with 2 more levels making him lvl 7, while Asmat snuck up to lvl 9 just before leaving
[center][b]Day 390: [item=Exercise Wheel][/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/XX82ZBU.png[/img][/center] So I started writing a story section for Wolf and it gave me a great idea for an image. And I said to myself 'Surely I can make vector art of a roaring guardian head in a day' and here I am like 3 hours later and uh nope. Then again there's a lot less time in a day when you have work! Hoping to get the rest of the teeth in along with the beard tomorrow and then start adding the patterns. I'm probably going to keep him out of his mask both because it's easier and his patterns are fun @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right][center][/center]
Day 390: Exercise Wheel

XX82ZBU.png

So I started writing a story section for Wolf and it gave me a great idea for an image. And I said to myself 'Surely I can make vector art of a roaring guardian head in a day' and here I am like 3 hours later and uh nope. Then again there's a lot less time in a day when you have work! Hoping to get the rest of the teeth in along with the beard tomorrow and then start adding the patterns. I'm probably going to keep him out of his mask both because it's easier and his patterns are fun

[center][b]Day 391: [item=Bean Juicer][/b] Well, woke up today and I'm not sure I [i]hate[/i] yesterday's art but I definitely wasn't prepared to spend another night on it just yet. So now for something completely different! Puns! [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/v0BRxFm.gif[/img][/center] @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right][center][/center]
Day 391: Bean Juicer

Well, woke up today and I'm not sure I hate yesterday's art but I definitely wasn't prepared to spend another night on it just yet. So now for something completely different! Puns!
v0BRxFm.gif

[center][b]Day 392: [item=Slumber Sheep][/b][/center] Welp after nearly 40 battles in the waterway we lost Ulysses. MaryLou and Belina managed to make it through a whole 50 battles and emerge on the other side with a level each, putting MaryLou at lvl 18 and Belina at lvl 11 [center][b]Day 393: [item=Augite Fragments][/b][/center] [img]https://i.ibb.co/R4ZxC4Y/20240202-174058.jpg[/img] Today another comissioned piece! This one is of Varley and is from the very talent [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/577377]AimaElsecaller[/url] who takes commissions for fest currency. I definately have some ideas for Varley, so I'm looking forward to getting to explore his character... a little later aha @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right]
Day 392: Slumber Sheep

Welp after nearly 40 battles in the waterway we lost Ulysses. MaryLou and Belina managed to make it through a whole 50 battles and emerge on the other side with a level each, putting MaryLou at lvl 18 and Belina at lvl 11
Day 393: Augite Fragments
20240202-174058.jpg

Today another comissioned piece! This one is of Varley and is from the very talent AimaElsecaller who takes commissions for fest currency. I definately have some ideas for Varley, so I'm looking forward to getting to explore his character... a little later aha

[center][b]Day 394: [item= Black Tulip][/b][/center] MaryLou decided she wasn't quite done in the coli but with her level up yesterday this time it was the arena! Muslin and Fisher went with her and each of them gained a lvl and got to lvl 11 after a little bit of exertion @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right]
Day 394: Black Tulip

MaryLou decided she wasn't quite done in the coli but with her level up yesterday this time it was the arena! Muslin and Fisher went with her and each of them gained a lvl and got to lvl 11 after a little bit of exertion

[center][b]Day 395: [item=Otherworldly Collar][/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/SuFjcca.png[/img][/center] ********************************* Took forever but I finished up Wolf's Wip! Was trying to go for a design that might make a cute sticker. Most of his primary gene on his face is obscured by his tert so I just left it off to make it cleaner. Also! I've been so cold and snoozy I completely forgot that Wolf and Madea's eggs hatched! One of their children made it and one didn't, but I think both are pretty cute. Their skeletal son will be joining us [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92655614][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/926557/92655614_350.png[/img][/url] While their loopy xyy daughter is up for grabs if anyone has an inclination [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92655615][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/926557/92655615_350.png[/img][/url] @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right]
Day 395: Otherworldly Collar
SuFjcca.png

Took forever but I finished up Wolf's Wip! Was trying to go for a design that might make a cute sticker. Most of his primary gene on his face is obscured by his tert so I just left it off to make it cleaner.

Also! I've been so cold and snoozy I completely forgot that Wolf and Madea's eggs hatched! One of their children made it and one didn't, but I think both are pretty cute.

Their skeletal son will be joining us

92655614_350.png

While their loopy xyy daughter is up for grabs if anyone has an inclination
92655615_350.png

[center][b]Day 396: [item=Speckled Savanna Pelt][/b][/center] Wolf was born to an accidental nest with relatively little fan fare, and in truth he was no one’s favourite. Not even LittleRed’s, who was Wolf’s closest compatriot, but in Red’s eyes no dragon could outshine Rey. It was clear to Wolf from an early age that the best way to impress LittleRed was to become [i]very[/i] dangerous indeed. However, violence came easy to him. Before he knew how to talk he would proudly present small creatures he’d caught around the nursery to whichever dragon was taking care of him at the time. Sometimes he wondered if that was truly how he got the red markings that ran across his hide. Still, no matter how much he begged, Rey and LittleRed wouldn’t take him out on the trails. He was too young, they said, once he was bigger, once his scales were harder, then he could go out. In Wolf’s opinion, he was plenty big enough. He could eat both the faes in a few mouthfuls and barely notice. His size was not yet on par with any of the adult guardians, not even Cypri, who was comparatively petite but how big did a dragon really need to be to go out into the woods? He wanted to test his mettle against bigger prey, perhaps even face down one of the dreaded Serthis. Rey sometimes spoke of them in dark tones and Wolf often imagined coming face to face with the dreaded magic wielding foes and tearing into them with a force that would leave the entire family in awe of his prowess. He tried begging Penthesilea to take both him and Fisher out further than the gardens, knowing that there was little she wouldn’t do for Fisher. Penthesilea however, saw through to his intentions immediately - due in no small part to Fisher being quite content to spend hours simply watching the snails - and refused. Clearly it was time for more drastic measures. Wolf didn’t bother to try to get Fisher to conspire with him. Fisher was equally happy climbing trees to shake out fruit as he was chasing squirrels and something about that made Wolf scorn him though he wasn’t quite sure why. So instead, he plotted entirely in secret desperately hoping that no one would notice his mounting restlessness as his plan came together. He needn’t have worried. No one did. One morning, before Cypri was fully awake Wolf nudged her gently. “I’m going to go out to the garden to see Larkspur,” he whispered. Cypri cracked an eye and took a moment to absorb this information. “Alright,” she said. “Alright.” Wolf left without looking back. Cypri wouldn’t raise the alarm about him missing but it would be unlikely anyone else would notice he was gone for quite a while. He had no lessons with MaryLou today either so that was another pair of watchful eyes crossed off the list. He felt buoyant as he strode through the crisp morning air, the mists brushing lovingly against his hide. He would have a hunt! Purposefully avoiding the hunting trails, Wolf kept himself out of sight and as quiet as he could, all his focus on avoiding detection for the first portions of his trip. Once he judged himself far enough he took a deep breath, scenting the air. It smelled mostly of the heavy damp earth as it reclaimed leaves and bones alike, but there was a whiff of something familiar... Wolf followed it, careful to keep downwind of whatever he was following. It took a while for the scent to grow stronger, and there were a fair few times he thought he had lost it, but as it became more pervasive he knew what he was hunting. Moor trunkers, Rey brought them home from the traps sometimes. Good eating even if it wasn’t that impressive a conquest but it would certainly be enough to show that Wolf could handle himself. Eagerly, he redoubled his efforts to gain on his quarry, moving slightly quicker and more assuredly. He didn’t notice the toridae flowers in the mostly dry swamp he walked through, he wouldn’t have recognized what they were if he had. When the trunker screamed and the scent of blood hit the air, Wolf almost broke out into a run. Nothing was going to steal his kill if he could help it. He nearly tripped over the first toridae in the bask. More of them than he could count at a glance were tearing into a few unlucky members of the small trunker herd that he had been following. The toridae hissed at him, and the rest of them reacting to this threat to their turned and gaped their jaws. Wolf couldn’t backpedal fast enough, but the commotion and the promise of food had drawn others from behind him. One snapped at his wing, tearing the membrane to shreds as it tried to use the leverage to bring Wolf to the ground. He roared in pain and lashed out with his tail, cracking the toridae’s head to the side, which was enough for it to back up a few steps but not even enough for it to be really injured. Wolf spun, cracking his tail like a whip, trying to give himself as much space as possible to try to come up with some way, any way, of getting out of this. The blood pouring from his wing was starting to make him dizzy, but Wolf refused to stop fighting. He wasn’t going to die without making it as difficult as possible. His tail stirred up the mists into thick whirling eddies and gave his aggressors pause. A small gap opened in the ranks of the toridae as they shuffled to stay out of the way of his tail and Wolf took his opportunity. Ignoring the screaming pain in his wing, he leapt, he knew his wings wouldn’t bear his weight but half spread they gave him enough distance to miss stepping on one of the toridae further back. Fuelled by adrenaline he let out a whoop of elation as he landed and glanced over his shoulder only to find some of the reptilian nightmares had raised themselves impossibly high off the ground and were [i]sprinting[/i] towards him. Nothing built like half buried log should be able to sprint! Panicked, Wolf through himself forwards, willing his exhausted body into a sprint of his own. He hadn’t gotten more than a handful of steps before his front leg sunk into a hidden hole in the ground and twisted as Wolf hit the ground painfully hard, landing on his already damaged wing. He roared in pain and tried to thrash himself to his feet but every motion was agony and he couldn’t get his good legs under him well enough to lift himself off his injured one. The thudding steps of the toridae grew closer and Wolf awaited the next flash of pain that would indicate the start of the feeding frenzy. Instead there was a thud and an angry hiss. Wolf looked up, he didn’t recognize the dragon that stood before him so much as the silks she wore. Ombra had torn the top jaw clean off one toridae and kicked another hard enough that it had retreated, the vanishing tip of its tail the only indication it had been there at all. The others, intimidated but not quite so easily put off the easy meal that lay almost in reach, hissed and gaped their wicked mouths. Ombra did not look away from them. [i]Get up.[/i] Her voice was in his bones, and slowly, Wolf stood up. No longer quite as panicked he found the right angle to lift himself from and pulled his front leg out of the mud. It hung at a sick angle and Wolf wanted to wretch looking at it. The rest of the toridae were going or gone by the time Wolf had his three good legs properly under him, besides the few bolder specimens who stayed to finish dispatching the one Ombra had mutilated. [i]You are far from home, walk carefully.[/i] As Wolf walked, Ombra fell in step beside him, helping prop up his awkward, hopping gait. He had questions, certainly, but all his focus was on staying upright. Each step was an agony and he cursed himself for coming so far, for leaving in the first place. But underneath all that was a small spark of pride, for a small time at least he had faced down an entire bask of toridae by himself. Not even Rey could claim a feat as great as that. Ombra made no attempt of her own to fill the silence, which Wolf was grateful for - he would have felt bad telling her to shut up. He didn’t know how far they’d walked before Ombra said: [i]Not far now.[/i] A few moments later, there was a rustle in the bushes and Penthesilea walked out of them and almost into Wolf. “Found ‘im!” Larkspur, Belina and Piera emerged behind her, Belina darting forward the flicker of relief vanishing as she looked her son over, taking in his mud splattered form with its torn wing and broken limb. “What happened?” “Toridae, Ombra saved me,” was all Wolf could manage. Now that everyone was here, he was tired like he’d never been in his life and the whole world was just a little out of focus. Piera came over with a straight sturdy branch, “Never mind that. We need to patch what we can and then get him home. Larkspur can carry him.” She undid some of her wrappings and then reached for Wolf’s leg. It hurt when she touched it but Wolf was not going to ruin his accomplishment by fussing. He gasped when she snapped it back in place, and when he woke up he was back in the nursery on a soft bed of cloth, with his wing and his broken leg propped up. He smelled like an unspeakable mix of acrid herbs and not only did he hurt but his body felt heavy and dull. Even opening his eyes was a chore. Through his half-lidded eyes he could see Cypri quietly working her loom, a dream-like and lost expression on her face, while behind her, in the shadows, a bundle of purple silk right where it always was. Ombra. Did he dream her, or did she dream him? These questions were too big and he was too tired to come up with any answers. Perhaps he’d ask Piera or MaryLou another day. As the pain receded under slumber’s gentle torpor, Wolf slipped into the dark and joined Ombra in dreams. ********************************* Goodness Giddy Gumdrops did I chew on that section for a while. Went places I wasn't expecting but that's half the fun of writing these. @pinglist-1755 [right]Click below to join the pinglist if you like [pinglist=1755][/right]
Day 396: Speckled Savanna Pelt
Wolf was born to an accidental nest with relatively little fan fare, and in truth he was no one’s favourite. Not even LittleRed’s, who was Wolf’s closest compatriot, but in Red’s eyes no dragon could outshine Rey. It was clear to Wolf from an early age that the best way to impress LittleRed was to become very dangerous indeed.

However, violence came easy to him. Before he knew how to talk he would proudly present small creatures he’d caught around the nursery to whichever dragon was taking care of him at the time. Sometimes he wondered if that was truly how he got the red markings that ran across his hide. Still, no matter how much he begged, Rey and LittleRed wouldn’t take him out on the trails. He was too young, they said, once he was bigger, once his scales were harder, then he could go out.

In Wolf’s opinion, he was plenty big enough. He could eat both the faes in a few mouthfuls and barely notice. His size was not yet on par with any of the adult guardians, not even Cypri, who was comparatively petite but how big did a dragon really need to be to go out into the woods? He wanted to test his mettle against bigger prey, perhaps even face down one of the dreaded Serthis. Rey sometimes spoke of them in dark tones and Wolf often imagined coming face to face with the dreaded magic wielding foes and tearing into them with a force that would leave the entire family in awe of his prowess.

He tried begging Penthesilea to take both him and Fisher out further than the gardens, knowing that there was little she wouldn’t do for Fisher. Penthesilea however, saw through to his intentions immediately - due in no small part to Fisher being quite content to spend hours simply watching the snails - and refused. Clearly it was time for more drastic measures.

Wolf didn’t bother to try to get Fisher to conspire with him. Fisher was equally happy climbing trees to shake out fruit as he was chasing squirrels and something about that made Wolf scorn him though he wasn’t quite sure why. So instead, he plotted entirely in secret desperately hoping that no one would notice his mounting restlessness as his plan came together. He needn’t have worried. No one did.

One morning, before Cypri was fully awake Wolf nudged her gently.

“I’m going to go out to the garden to see Larkspur,” he whispered.

Cypri cracked an eye and took a moment to absorb this information.

“Alright,” she said. “Alright.”

Wolf left without looking back. Cypri wouldn’t raise the alarm about him missing but it would be unlikely anyone else would notice he was gone for quite a while. He had no lessons with MaryLou today either so that was another pair of watchful eyes crossed off the list.

He felt buoyant as he strode through the crisp morning air, the mists brushing lovingly against his hide. He would have a hunt!

Purposefully avoiding the hunting trails, Wolf kept himself out of sight and as quiet as he could, all his focus on avoiding detection for the first portions of his trip. Once he judged himself far enough he took a deep breath, scenting the air. It smelled mostly of the heavy damp earth as it reclaimed leaves and bones alike, but there was a whiff of something familiar...

Wolf followed it, careful to keep downwind of whatever he was following. It took a while for the scent to grow stronger, and there were a fair few times he thought he had lost it, but as it became more pervasive he knew what he was hunting. Moor trunkers, Rey brought them home from the traps sometimes. Good eating even if it wasn’t that impressive a conquest but it would certainly be enough to show that Wolf could handle himself.

Eagerly, he redoubled his efforts to gain on his quarry, moving slightly quicker and more assuredly. He didn’t notice the toridae flowers in the mostly dry swamp he walked through, he wouldn’t have recognized what they were if he had.

When the trunker screamed and the scent of blood hit the air, Wolf almost broke out into a run. Nothing was going to steal his kill if he could help it. He nearly tripped over the first toridae in the bask. More of them than he could count at a glance were tearing into a few unlucky members of the small trunker herd that he had been following.

The toridae hissed at him, and the rest of them reacting to this threat to their turned and gaped their jaws. Wolf couldn’t backpedal fast enough, but the commotion and the promise of food had drawn others from behind him. One snapped at his wing, tearing the membrane to shreds as it tried to use the leverage to bring Wolf to the ground.

He roared in pain and lashed out with his tail, cracking the toridae’s head to the side, which was enough for it to back up a few steps but not even enough for it to be really injured. Wolf spun, cracking his tail like a whip, trying to give himself as much space as possible to try to come up with some way, any way, of getting out of this.

The blood pouring from his wing was starting to make him dizzy, but Wolf refused to stop fighting. He wasn’t going to die without making it as difficult as possible. His tail stirred up the mists into thick whirling eddies and gave his aggressors pause.

A small gap opened in the ranks of the toridae as they shuffled to stay out of the way of his tail and Wolf took his opportunity. Ignoring the screaming pain in his wing, he leapt, he knew his wings wouldn’t bear his weight but half spread they gave him enough distance to miss stepping on one of the toridae further back.

Fuelled by adrenaline he let out a whoop of elation as he landed and glanced over his shoulder only to find some of the reptilian nightmares had raised themselves impossibly high off the ground and were sprinting towards him. Nothing built like half buried log should be able to sprint!

Panicked, Wolf through himself forwards, willing his exhausted body into a sprint of his own. He hadn’t gotten more than a handful of steps before his front leg sunk into a hidden hole in the ground and twisted as Wolf hit the ground painfully hard, landing on his already damaged wing.

He roared in pain and tried to thrash himself to his feet but every motion was agony and he couldn’t get his good legs under him well enough to lift himself off his injured one. The thudding steps of the toridae grew closer and Wolf awaited the next flash of pain that would indicate the start of the feeding frenzy. Instead there was a thud and an angry hiss.

Wolf looked up, he didn’t recognize the dragon that stood before him so much as the silks she wore. Ombra had torn the top jaw clean off one toridae and kicked another hard enough that it had retreated, the vanishing tip of its tail the only indication it had been there at all.

The others, intimidated but not quite so easily put off the easy meal that lay almost in reach, hissed and gaped their wicked mouths. Ombra did not look away from them.

Get up.

Her voice was in his bones, and slowly, Wolf stood up. No longer quite as panicked he found the right angle to lift himself from and pulled his front leg out of the mud. It hung at a sick angle and Wolf wanted to wretch looking at it.

The rest of the toridae were going or gone by the time Wolf had his three good legs properly under him, besides the few bolder specimens who stayed to finish dispatching the one Ombra had mutilated.

You are far from home, walk carefully.

As Wolf walked, Ombra fell in step beside him, helping prop up his awkward, hopping gait. He had questions, certainly, but all his focus was on staying upright. Each step was an agony and he cursed himself for coming so far, for leaving in the first place. But underneath all that was a small spark of pride, for a small time at least he had faced down an entire bask of toridae by himself. Not even Rey could claim a feat as great as that.

Ombra made no attempt of her own to fill the silence, which Wolf was grateful for - he would have felt bad telling her to shut up.

He didn’t know how far they’d walked before Ombra said: Not far now.

A few moments later, there was a rustle in the bushes and Penthesilea walked out of them and almost into Wolf. “Found ‘im!”

Larkspur, Belina and Piera emerged behind her, Belina darting forward the flicker of relief vanishing as she looked her son over, taking in his mud splattered form with its torn wing and broken limb. “What happened?”

“Toridae, Ombra saved me,” was all Wolf could manage. Now that everyone was here, he was tired like he’d never been in his life and the whole world was just a little out of focus.

Piera came over with a straight sturdy branch, “Never mind that. We need to patch what we can and then get him home. Larkspur can carry him.”

She undid some of her wrappings and then reached for Wolf’s leg. It hurt when she touched it but Wolf was not going to ruin his accomplishment by fussing. He gasped when she snapped it back in place, and when he woke up he was back in the nursery on a soft bed of cloth, with his wing and his broken leg propped up. He smelled like an unspeakable mix of acrid herbs and not only did he hurt but his body felt heavy and dull. Even opening his eyes was a chore.

Through his half-lidded eyes he could see Cypri quietly working her loom, a dream-like and lost expression on her face, while behind her, in the shadows, a bundle of purple silk right where it always was. Ombra. Did he dream her, or did she dream him?

These questions were too big and he was too tired to come up with any answers. Perhaps he’d ask Piera or MaryLou another day. As the pain receded under slumber’s gentle torpor, Wolf slipped into the dark and joined Ombra in dreams.

Goodness Giddy Gumdrops did I chew on that section for a while. Went places I wasn't expecting but that's half the fun of writing these.

1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86