Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Common Draconic [A Conlang Project]
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 38 39
ah, that's rough D: i'll correct my links right away
no worries about using the pinglist this early! this is certainly an important change
ah, that's rough D: i'll correct my links right away
no worries about using the pinglist this early! this is certainly an important change
ALL I WANT IS FOR ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BECOME INSANELY POWERFUL
@Kamishii @sneke @Sielf @LaughingZuru @QueenCerali @Exaltier @malrinkye @Universaal @Mycologist @Xygo @Crystal @VolgaViventium @CornixElecti @CoweringDeath @reyofsun @Kazure @FailCat13 @Kysska @SarahNautili @atropo @TheTawnydragon @Ulquiorra04 @WillowThorn @Deathangelz @LoopyLucky @Vulpinemaniac @SucenaZQ @Angeleina @mweep @Iochsi @niah @jibori @Magellanic @kanyeweast @Pozonroze @ChibiAsh @WynterDragen @DuskyChangeling @Katalist @ideunatty @PixieDreams @Arthemis @Minaide @DarknessLight @Barcarru @RemusMoony @Eiv @Nirveli @Ihadurka @Sciencing @Senil @Frenklle @Zephyrean @MightyVildaTilda @elleirabrave @FliptheFrog @DragonFlute @takohime @SugarSkullRiley @Firun @Leopardess @mewiyev @ladra @Sevesh @MurkMage @TrashDemon @Kats2rule @Darkrait @Cron @rochester @Finian @Creeaturezz @PlagueWriter @Moonpiebandit @Asteri @Passenger @Sinnapine @EternalAunel @Dragnia @starfox @paigyp01 @Pandamoniaz @lemecrazy @Voidspeaker @Liryuu @Mibella @Lallie @AshenFall @Malachai @Kysska @Iochsi @Lallie @MagicianPokes @Cipheres @Camrrito @Solar @ZombieBiologist @GlacialWings @HuskyArt @NightFuryScream @Jasp @BrightShine @SomberWillow @jellyfishmelody @Thoracosaurus @mewhaku @Magdaleine @Minechao @DancingAurora @KaijouKitty @NightRhynn @Anacapri @ImmaChibi @LagoNikos @Xygo @Clairbear @Rurakan @Inkwalker @Underlander @LeRawrs Hey Chat Rising peeps! I wanted to point this project out to you all, mostly because it will become a part of one of our updates very soon in our FR:CR thread. Go check it out, please! We've created a role in Chat Rising called "ursegal" to discuss the language here. You can add yourself to this role in our #bot_channel using... [code].iam ursegal[/code] Come join the discussion! It's pretty freakin' cool. <3 Thanks guys! :D
@Kamishii @sneke @Sielf @LaughingZuru @QueenCerali @Exaltier @malrinkye @Universaal @Mycologist @Xygo @Crystal @VolgaViventium @CornixElecti @CoweringDeath @reyofsun @Kazure @FailCat13 @Kysska @SarahNautili @atropo @TheTawnydragon @Ulquiorra04 @WillowThorn @Deathangelz @LoopyLucky @Vulpinemaniac @SucenaZQ @Angeleina @mweep @Iochsi @niah @jibori @Magellanic @kanyeweast @Pozonroze @ChibiAsh @WynterDragen @DuskyChangeling @Katalist @ideunatty @PixieDreams @Arthemis @Minaide @DarknessLight @Barcarru @RemusMoony @Eiv @Nirveli @Ihadurka @Sciencing @Senil @Frenklle @Zephyrean @MightyVildaTilda @elleirabrave @FliptheFrog @DragonFlute @takohime @SugarSkullRiley @Firun @Leopardess @mewiyev @ladra @Sevesh @MurkMage @TrashDemon @Kats2rule @Darkrait @Cron @rochester @Finian @Creeaturezz @PlagueWriter @Moonpiebandit @Asteri @Passenger @Sinnapine @EternalAunel @Dragnia @starfox @paigyp01 @Pandamoniaz @lemecrazy @Voidspeaker @Liryuu @Mibella @Lallie @AshenFall @Malachai @Kysska @Iochsi @Lallie @MagicianPokes @Cipheres @Camrrito @Solar @ZombieBiologist @GlacialWings @HuskyArt @NightFuryScream @Jasp @BrightShine @SomberWillow @jellyfishmelody @Thoracosaurus @mewhaku @Magdaleine @Minechao @DancingAurora @KaijouKitty @NightRhynn @Anacapri @ImmaChibi @LagoNikos @Xygo @Clairbear @Rurakan @Inkwalker @Underlander @LeRawrs

Hey Chat Rising peeps! I wanted to point this project out to you all, mostly because it will become a part of one of our updates very soon in our FR:CR thread.

Go check it out, please! We've created a role in Chat Rising called "ursegal" to discuss the language here.

You can add yourself to this role in our #bot_channel using...
Code:
.iam ursegal
Come join the discussion! It's pretty freakin' cool. <3

Thanks guys! :D
slkdjfasdf.png
much excite aaaa got the basics down what next c;
much excite aaaa got the basics down what next c;
NrfB95G.png oTzR29f.png JU8LxLb.png WSMFkE9.png T75C2Ky.png
Oh man this is so cool @pantherwing (im going to learn this when im not supposed to writing an essay)
Oh man this is so cool @pantherwing (im going to learn this when im not supposed to writing an essay)
[quote name="Llanai" date=2016-05-23 05:21:24] When naming the seasons, I ended up using the flights I did because they are clear opposites that canonically oppose one another. While fire and ice could've easily worked, the rivalry is not there so to the speakers, the opposition is not as strong. Also in places like the Viridian Labyrinth and the Southern Icefield, Winter is not cold and Summer is not hot respectively. They are however, darker and or lighter on account of longer or shorter days. [/quote] [quote name="Banjo" date=2016-05-23 07:03:07] We chose nature for spring because of the growth of.. nature in spring, we chose light for summer (I'll explain not fire in a second) because the daytime is long and the nights short in summer, we chose plague for autumn because plants almost 'die' in the fall, only to be brought back to life in spring (by the Gladekeeper), and we chose shadow for winter because the night is long and the days short in winter. (I just now realize that Llanai answered this, but I'm leaving it anyway.) We decided not to go for the heat/cold approach because the temperatures vary so much in every flight region. How light and how dark a day is is mostly dependent on the sun cycle in Sornieth's solar system, so it was a neutral and consistent choice. [/quote] Thank you both for answering! ^_^ I actually suspected this, but I had to ask anyway. Not only does it make more sense for the FR world, it's a refreshing change from the hot/cold trope. ^-^
Llanai wrote on 2016-05-23:
When naming the seasons, I ended up using the flights I did because they are clear opposites that canonically oppose one another. While fire and ice could've easily worked, the rivalry is not there so to the speakers, the opposition is not as strong. Also in places like the Viridian Labyrinth and the Southern Icefield, Winter is not cold and Summer is not hot respectively. They are however, darker and or lighter on account of longer or shorter days.
Banjo wrote on 2016-05-23:
We chose nature for spring because of the growth of.. nature in spring, we chose light for summer (I'll explain not fire in a second) because the daytime is long and the nights short in summer, we chose plague for autumn because plants almost 'die' in the fall, only to be brought back to life in spring (by the Gladekeeper), and we chose shadow for winter because the night is long and the days short in winter. (I just now realize that Llanai answered this, but I'm leaving it anyway.)

We decided not to go for the heat/cold approach because the temperatures vary so much in every flight region. How light and how dark a day is is mostly dependent on the sun cycle in Sornieth's solar system, so it was a neutral and consistent choice.

Thank you both for answering! ^_^

I actually suspected this, but I had to ask anyway. Not only does it make more sense for the FR world, it's a refreshing change from the hot/cold trope. ^-^
tihutbH.png
lAvpyOQ.png

ZwbGqUa.png

rPaLIxa.png

J7D1quC.png

FObX7rS.png

YMPbu9R.png
53e090906bf1abf526e496f785950d62fc9cfa93.png
This is so fantastic oh my goooood <3 I love it so much
props to all team members for this marvelous contribution and all their effort I reall admire you guys! <3
gonna learn the heck out of this eeeeee
This is so fantastic oh my goooood <3 I love it so much
props to all team members for this marvelous contribution and all their effort I reall admire you guys! <3
gonna learn the heck out of this eeeeee
1_copia_by_eifihanaki-dc71vwd.png
2_copia_by_eifihanaki-dc71vw9.png
[quote name="Llanai" date=2016-05-23 05:21:24] This whole thing is a massive WIP and things like that simply haven't been decided yet. The numbering system's still a bit of a mess... This is definitely something we'd like to add soon though, and we'd take any thoughts you have into consideration. That being said, the running headcanon for me so far as passage of time is that each IRL day equates to roughly 15 days in Sornieth. [/quote] [quote name="Moraglar" date=2016-05-23 06:10:20] I noticed you have Singular and Plural structures in there. Have you thought about adding other number situations? In several human languages we also sometime have Dual grammatical number. Could it be feasible in Ursegal? Or maybe other Set grammatical number, humans are pretty used to sets of two, five and ten, but what about dragons? Dual can also be used, see pairs of wings, pairs of forelegs, pairs of eyes, usually (looking at at you, Miirrors)... [/quote] [quote name="Banjo" date=2016-05-23 07:03:07] We haven't talked about months yet, but I really like the idea of using that kind of "rotting moon" system to name them. I think we'll steal it >.> And I actually have no clue about how we might name or number years. I'll have to have a big ol discussion with the team for that one. @ Moraglar Thank you! Our number system is a huge work and progress and very, very messy at the moment (I kind of just want to overhaul it), but I think in the future things like numbered groups would go a long way in Ursegal. [/quote] [b][/b] It seem like numbers are largely unexplored for Ursegal. (I can't wait to see this more fleshed out. It's going to go from awesome to epic!) ________________________________________________ @ Llanai I know there's a thread somewhere where the Staff actually vaguely outlines how time passes on Sornieth. But I'm not sure where to look to find it. It would definitely be helpful here, so I'll search for it when I get the chance. ________________________________________________ @ Banjo Lol, I’m glad you like the moon-names idea. ^-^ It’s not mine, and the original creator said it was free to use. I can dig up the old thread and copy/paste the names that were listed(then you guys can decide which to use and how to translate them), if you want? ________________________________________________ Moraglar mentioned how humans tend to use 2, 5, & 10 for quick counting. It would be easier to use these groupings, so that us humans could more easily count and number in Ursegal, but I think dragons, especially the ones in Sornieth would have evolved a different grouping system. I typed out this chart to help me think, but then I figured you might find it interesting too: [Columns] Humans: Fae: Guardians: Mirror: Pearlcatchers: Ridgebacks: Tundras: Spirals: Imperials: Snappers: Wildclaws: Nocturnes: Coatls: Skydancers: [NextCol] 2 hands/feet - 2 hands/feet/wings - 2 hands/feet/wings - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - 2 h/f/w - [NextCol] 5 fingers/toes - 3 fingers, 4 toes, 5 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 5 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 5 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 5 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 2 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 3 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 3 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 1? wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 1? wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 1? wingfingers - 3 fingers, 2 toes, 3 wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 1? wingfingers - 4 fingers/toes, 4 wingfingers - [/Columns] The majority of current dragon breeds have 4 fingers or toes, with the exceptions of Nocturnes and Fae, so maybe a system with groupings of 2, 4, and 8? Counting wingfingers for anything won’t work, obviously. But also, a 2, 5, 10 system might be simpler. That’s pretty much up to you guys, but maybe this will give you some ideas? (I actually favor a 3, 7, 10 system; but I don’t have any logical reason for why, I just like the aesthetic. XD ) ________________________________________________ On an off-topic note: there aren't any words in the dictionary for ‘fingers’, ‘toes’, or ‘wing-fingers’, but I think these should all be distinguished with different words, similar to the words you have for ‘front paws’ and ‘hind paws’. P.S. I don’t know if I explained anything above clearly, as I’m typing while slightly sleep-deprived. Apologies ahead of time for any vagueness, confusion, and/or rambling. XD
Llanai wrote on 2016-05-23:
This whole thing is a massive WIP and things like that simply haven't been decided yet. The numbering system's still a bit of a mess... This is definitely something we'd like to add soon though, and we'd take any thoughts you have into consideration.

That being said, the running headcanon for me so far as passage of time is that each IRL day equates to roughly 15 days in Sornieth.
Moraglar wrote on 2016-05-23:
I noticed you have Singular and Plural structures in there. Have you thought about adding other number situations? In several human languages we also sometime have Dual grammatical number. Could it be feasible in Ursegal? Or maybe other Set grammatical number, humans are pretty used to sets of two, five and ten, but what about dragons? Dual can also be used, see pairs of wings, pairs of forelegs, pairs of eyes, usually (looking at at you, Miirrors)...
Banjo wrote on 2016-05-23:
We haven't talked about months yet, but I really like the idea of using that kind of "rotting moon" system to name them. I think we'll steal it >.> And I actually have no clue about how we might name or number years. I'll have to have a big ol discussion with the team for that one.

@ Moraglar
Thank you! Our number system is a huge work and progress and very, very messy at the moment (I kind of just want to overhaul it), but I think in the future things like numbered groups would go a long way in Ursegal.

It seem like numbers are largely unexplored for Ursegal. (I can't wait to see this more fleshed out. It's going to go from awesome to epic!)
It would be easier to use these groupings, so that us humans could more easily count and number in Ursegal, but I think dragons, especially the ones in Sornieth would have evolved a different grouping system.

I typed out this chart to help me think, but then I figured you might find it interesting too:
Humans:
Fae:
Guardians:
Mirror:
Pearlcatchers:
Ridgebacks:
Tundras:
Spirals:
Imperials:
Snappers:
Wildclaws:
Nocturnes:
Coatls:
Skydancers:
2 hands/feet -
2 hands/feet/wings -
2 hands/feet/wings -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
2 h/f/w -
5 fingers/toes -
3 fingers, 4 toes, 5 wingfingers -
4 fingers/toes, 5 wingfingers -
4 fingers/toes, 2 wingfingers -
4 fingers/toes, 3 wingfingers -
4 fingers/toes, 3 wingfingers -
4 fingers/toes, 1? wingfingers -
3 fingers, 2 toes, 3 wingfingers -
4 fingers/toes, 4 wingfingers -

The majority of current dragon breeds have 4 fingers or toes, with the exceptions of Nocturnes and Fae, so maybe a system with groupings of 2, 4, and 8? Counting wingfingers for anything won’t work, obviously. But also, a 2, 5, 10 system might be simpler. That’s pretty much up to you guys, but maybe this will give you some ideas?
(I actually favor a 3, 7, 10 system; but I don’t have any logical reason for why, I just like the aesthetic. XD )
On an off-topic note: there aren't any words in the dictionary for ‘fingers’, ‘toes’, or ‘wing-fingers’, but I think these should all be distinguished with different words, similar to the words you have for ‘front paws’ and ‘hind paws’.

P.S. I don’t know if I explained anything above clearly, as I’m typing while slightly sleep-deprived. Apologies ahead of time for any vagueness, confusion, and/or rambling. XD
tihutbH.png
lAvpyOQ.png

ZwbGqUa.png

rPaLIxa.png

J7D1quC.png

FObX7rS.png

YMPbu9R.png
53e090906bf1abf526e496f785950d62fc9cfa93.png
@StarriannaFlare

Okay this is an extraordinary amount of information and here's what I've gathered from my first reading

So far as numbers are concerned

First: groups of things! (ie the dozen)

et Rhel "A hand" - a group of three
et Rain "A paw" - a group of four
et Felse "A wing" - a group of five
et Karel "two-hand" a group of six
et Karain "two-paw" a group of eight
et kafel "two-wing" a group of ten

From these

Second: Counting systems

A base ten system (which is what we have now)

vs.

A base eight or base six system. (which would make more in world sense???)

@StarriannaFlare

Okay this is an extraordinary amount of information and here's what I've gathered from my first reading

So far as numbers are concerned

First: groups of things! (ie the dozen)

et Rhel "A hand" - a group of three
et Rain "A paw" - a group of four
et Felse "A wing" - a group of five
et Karel "two-hand" a group of six
et Karain "two-paw" a group of eight
et kafel "two-wing" a group of ten

From these

Second: Counting systems

A base ten system (which is what we have now)

vs.

A base eight or base six system. (which would make more in world sense???)

sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
This is amazing!
This is amazing!
@Aupheling @comicsans @aceofshrines look friends!!!
@Aupheling @comicsans @aceofshrines look friends!!!
0DS7tuj.png SjbXTto.pngToo0zRW.png
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 38 39