Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Common Draconic [A Conlang Project]
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 38 39
@kaegro @StarriannaFlare

It's funny, after a bit of leafing, the seasons are in the old dictionaries, but for whatever reason, didn't get pulled over to the final. I'll add them in a second.

Spring - Sulnus (from time and nature)
Summer - Sullir (from time and light)
Autumn - Sulmor (from time and plague)
Winter - Subris (from time and shadow)
@kaegro @StarriannaFlare

It's funny, after a bit of leafing, the seasons are in the old dictionaries, but for whatever reason, didn't get pulled over to the final. I'll add them in a second.

Spring - Sulnus (from time and nature)
Summer - Sullir (from time and light)
Autumn - Sulmor (from time and plague)
Winter - Subris (from time and shadow)
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
@Banjo - just wanna let you know, I think there's a small error in your grammar doc! Under interrogatives, for the "where" example, you gave a "who" example in the English translation!
@Banjo - just wanna let you know, I think there's a small error in your grammar doc! Under interrogatives, for the "where" example, you gave a "who" example in the English translation!
A tiny Brad the Buffsprite flexes while smiling!
@Llanai
I would have assumed summer would be related to heat/fire, and winter to cold/ice.
Is there a specific reason you took a different turn?

Also, there was talk in another thread of the Flight Holidays being determined by the cycle of the moon(s) of Sornieth. Subsequently, the months(or 'moons') were named in relation to each holiday(i.e. Plague's Riot of Rot took place during the Rotting Moon).

Are there going to be names for months/years, and if so, are you going to use a system similar to that to create the names?

Also, how are years counted? With numbers, like on a calendar, or with names like in Redwall Abbey(for lack of a better example)?

(Sorry for so many questions. Arcane... you know. :P )

Edit: If years are recorded using names instead of numbers, could they be named after the familiar of that year? i.e. "Year of the Sprite", "Year of the Bear", "Year of the Acolyte"?
I spend a lot of time looking through lore, but I forget things easily. Is Sornieth bigger or roughly the same size as Earth? If it's the same size, time probably passes relatively the same, so naming years after familiars won't give a lot of room for time. Alternately, since it supposedly takes 'years' for hatchlings to fully mature, maybe it is bigger, and a year on Sornieth is many years on Earth?
@Llanai
I would have assumed summer would be related to heat/fire, and winter to cold/ice.
Is there a specific reason you took a different turn?

Also, there was talk in another thread of the Flight Holidays being determined by the cycle of the moon(s) of Sornieth. Subsequently, the months(or 'moons') were named in relation to each holiday(i.e. Plague's Riot of Rot took place during the Rotting Moon).

Are there going to be names for months/years, and if so, are you going to use a system similar to that to create the names?

Also, how are years counted? With numbers, like on a calendar, or with names like in Redwall Abbey(for lack of a better example)?

(Sorry for so many questions. Arcane... you know. :P )

Edit: If years are recorded using names instead of numbers, could they be named after the familiar of that year? i.e. "Year of the Sprite", "Year of the Bear", "Year of the Acolyte"?
I spend a lot of time looking through lore, but I forget things easily. Is Sornieth bigger or roughly the same size as Earth? If it's the same size, time probably passes relatively the same, so naming years after familiars won't give a lot of room for time. Alternately, since it supposedly takes 'years' for hatchlings to fully mature, maybe it is bigger, and a year on Sornieth is many years on Earth?
tihutbH.png
lAvpyOQ.png

ZwbGqUa.png

rPaLIxa.png

J7D1quC.png

FObX7rS.png

YMPbu9R.png
53e090906bf1abf526e496f785950d62fc9cfa93.png
THIS IS SO AMAZING, I LOVE IT, iT TICKLES ALL MY NERDY SPOTS [img]http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140206012659/disney/images/1/10/Kermit_Rabbit_TMS421.gif[/img]
THIS IS SO AMAZING, I LOVE IT, iT TICKLES ALL MY NERDY SPOTS

Kermit_Rabbit_TMS421.gif
LLLLLL
Shiloh
they/them
FR +0

old art thread

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL IncEfA4.pngo2DCDvU.pngzNpBqGi.png8nnLMSP.pngaHVtVAa.pngL9gnFws.pngK24IHjN.png
This is amazing!
This is amazing!
I was going to answer you guys' questions, but I low key fell asleep. But all is well now!

@Kes

I'd love to teach you something, but I'm waiting on another student at the moment. Hopefully @Banjo will reappear some time soon. I can take any questions you have until then!

@StarriannaFlare

When naming the seasons, I ended up using the flights I did because they are clear opposites that canonically oppose one another. While fire and ice could've easily worked, the rivalry is not there so to the speakers, the opposition is not as strong. Also in places like the Viridian Labyrinth and the Southern Icefield, Winter is not cold and Summer is not hot respectively. They are however, darker and or lighter on account of longer or shorter days.

This whole thing is a massive WIP and things like that simply haven't been decided yet. The numbering system's still a bit of a mess... This is definitely something we'd like to add soon though, and we'd take any thoughts you have into consideration.

That being said, the running headcanon for me so far as passage of time is that each IRL day equates to roughly 15 days in Sornieth.
I was going to answer you guys' questions, but I low key fell asleep. But all is well now!

@Kes

I'd love to teach you something, but I'm waiting on another student at the moment. Hopefully @Banjo will reappear some time soon. I can take any questions you have until then!

@StarriannaFlare

When naming the seasons, I ended up using the flights I did because they are clear opposites that canonically oppose one another. While fire and ice could've easily worked, the rivalry is not there so to the speakers, the opposition is not as strong. Also in places like the Viridian Labyrinth and the Southern Icefield, Winter is not cold and Summer is not hot respectively. They are however, darker and or lighter on account of longer or shorter days.

This whole thing is a massive WIP and things like that simply haven't been decided yet. The numbering system's still a bit of a mess... This is definitely something we'd like to add soon though, and we'd take any thoughts you have into consideration.

That being said, the running headcanon for me so far as passage of time is that each IRL day equates to roughly 15 days in Sornieth.
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
This is amazing! Seriously. This is the coolest. I love this. Just. Yes.
This is amazing! Seriously. This is the coolest. I love this. Just. Yes.
~(o.o)~
This is amazing! :O
This is amazing! :O
@Banjo

This is definitely amazing. You can really feel the amount of effort, dedication and love put into this work.

A few questions, if I may...

I noticed you have Singular and Plural structures in there. Have you thought about adding other number situations? In several human languages we also sometime have Dual grammatical number. Could it be feasible in Ursegal? Or maybe other Set grammatical number, humans are pretty used to sets of two, five and ten, but what about dragons? Dual can also be used, see pairs of wings, pairs of forelegs, pairs of eyes, usually (looking at at you, Miirrors)...

What about grammatical cases? How many are there? English has two, but other languages have more grammatical cases, Czech for example has seven cases, Hungarian has far more...

Definitely admire you, guys/gals!
@Banjo

This is definitely amazing. You can really feel the amount of effort, dedication and love put into this work.

A few questions, if I may...

I noticed you have Singular and Plural structures in there. Have you thought about adding other number situations? In several human languages we also sometime have Dual grammatical number. Could it be feasible in Ursegal? Or maybe other Set grammatical number, humans are pretty used to sets of two, five and ten, but what about dragons? Dual can also be used, see pairs of wings, pairs of forelegs, pairs of eyes, usually (looking at at you, Miirrors)...

What about grammatical cases? How many are there? English has two, but other languages have more grammatical cases, Czech for example has seven cases, Hungarian has far more...

Definitely admire you, guys/gals!
jP1YKwX.png
m59NfS2.png
IM SO IN ON THIS
IM SO IN ON THIS
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 38 39