Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers' Chat: May Edition
1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44 45
@benalene Awww, Kistern. :c I feel so bad for him. @LadyRowyn Oh, Jocasta! Maybe Blake should write her sister or something. @Meena I'm working on a sci-fi novel (sparingly) and mostly just working IRL, which is keeping me from the thread most days. >.< Also welcome to the thread! Welcome welcome to all the newbies I missed because I've been incredibly absent. >.> Sorry I missed you all. Also look at this pretty baby I hatched! :D [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13471314] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134714/13471314_350.png[/img] [/url] She's also got two brothers, one of whom is an XXY (leaf/leaf/...something)
@benalene Awww, Kistern. :c I feel so bad for him.

@LadyRowyn Oh, Jocasta! Maybe Blake should write her sister or something.

@Meena I'm working on a sci-fi novel (sparingly) and mostly just working IRL, which is keeping me from the thread most days. >.<
Also welcome to the thread!

Welcome welcome to all the newbies I missed because I've been incredibly absent. >.> Sorry I missed you all.

Also look at this pretty baby I hatched! :D

13471314_350.png

She's also got two brothers, one of whom is an XXY (leaf/leaf/...something)
windflight_zpsd8c8bf0c.png
@Pookasaur
Oooh sci-fi! I like sci-fi. I've tried to write about aliens before, but ended up scaring myself xD EVen though I know not all sci-fi has aliens, it's still a tough genre for me xD
And what a beautiful baby Fae that is!
@Pookasaur
Oooh sci-fi! I like sci-fi. I've tried to write about aliens before, but ended up scaring myself xD EVen though I know not all sci-fi has aliens, it's still a tough genre for me xD
And what a beautiful baby Fae that is!
Nature_flight1_zps9e6574ce.png
@SpringyBirrd Thanks! What've you been up to lately? Any projects going? @PocketTheSaurus I look forward to Labyrinth dragging Harika into her adventures -- or whatever they get up to. :D @chalcara Indeed! Kistern tried everything to get rid of Jocasta! Y'know, except for ever actually saying anything to her about not wanting to stay with her. -_- ... Jocasta was pretty silly, but I am not sympathetic to Kistern either. :/ And it's not like he was always trying to avoid her; he was perfectly happy to nest with her the first time. @meena Welcome to the chat! I almost always have multiple stories in progress, though sometimes I'm alternating between an RP/fanfic project and an original fiction work (and I will be more relaxed about the RP/fanfic projects). I find juggling two stories works pretty well for me; I can keep track of the tone and story on both. If I'm trying to do more than three, one of them is probably suffering a lot for it. I've tried prioritizing Just One Thing, but often what happens is that the One Thing becomes the thing I'm not doing, and I'm not doing anything else either. Giving myself permission to do "less important" things at least means I do something. Which is better than playing with dragons all day and getting nothing done. c_c But as Micah says: everyone is different in what works for them! And sometimes I do things that don't work very well for me because I haven't stumbled on a way that works better yet. I don't start a story unless I'm in love with the idea, but I work on plenty of stories when I'm not in love with writing them at the moment. I'd never finish anything if I only wrote when I was inspired. I haven't written any books about faeries, but I did do a 24 hour comic using the tiny insect-winged style. I should get that back online someday; it was up for a few years on a personal website that's gone now. And yes, this thread is open to talking about whatever writing thing you like! And the occasional non-writing thing. Like dragon hatchlings. You know. @PocketTheSaurus Your mode of writing and jumping between things sounds very much like mine. Heh! @hinotoriii Congrats on the progress with your fanfic and dragon bios! Possibly I should do more writing and less writing-about-writing myself. @LadySlayer Outis is a very Christmasy dragon! Interesting how he set out to build his Charge by making the clan. Neat! @benalene Write the story. The story compels you. You know you want to. @_@ @micahjaguar The shrubbery is so ... shrub-like. Very. Shrub. *plants it on a dragon* [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12563680] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/125637/12563680_350.png[/img] [/url] ... yeah. *giggles at Tiant's update* It looks like a stole on him! I hope woodpeckers don't join that hookbeak .... @Hurricanesong Eeeee down to just five dragons! /o_o\ I hope the horrible plague that got the rest doesn't come back for the survivors. D: @Pookasaur Jocasta would love to hear from Blake! Everyone wants to know how things are going at her new lair. *nods* *pets the little tiger fae baby* She's perfect for a festival baby! *** Since Meena asked about current projects, here's mine: [LIST=1] [*][b]Serializing [i]A Rational Arrangement[/i][/b]: I finished writing this book over a year ago, and finished editing it in March, and finished proof-reading the e-book this morning, and it is [i]still[/i] eating up a lot of my time. Maybe when I get the frontmatter/backmatter for the ebook done and have finally kicked it out the door (which I will do in June), this will consume a more reasonable number of thoughtcycles. Ugh. [*][b]Writing Birthright[/b]: This is the sequel to a novel I finished in 2006. I love the original, but it ends on a cliffhanger and I have struggled off and on with writing the sequel (which will require revision to the original) ever since. So I'm making one of my occasional efforts to finish it again. [*][b]Doing header illustrations for RA[/b]: I thought that illustrations would be a good way to attract attention for the serial, and doing them has become addictive. I keep telling myself that I need to re-use them instead, and then drawing new ones anyway. This is what I've been spending most of my creative time on since early April. [*][b]Play-by-email game[/b]: I've got an RP I've been running for a year or so, and that I have been neglecting badly for most of this year. It still occupies the occasional "I should do something with this" slot, though. [*][b]Dragon bios/chat thread[/b]: This needs no explanation, right? [/LIST] That list is in priority order. Currently, I am procrastinating on 1 & 2, diligent about 3, doing almost nothing with 4, and diligent about 5. I am not very good at doing things in priority order.
@SpringyBirrd Thanks! What've you been up to lately? Any projects going?

@PocketTheSaurus I look forward to Labyrinth dragging Harika into her adventures -- or whatever they get up to. :D

@chalcara Indeed! Kistern tried everything to get rid of Jocasta! Y'know, except for ever actually saying anything to her about not wanting to stay with her. -_-

... Jocasta was pretty silly, but I am not sympathetic to Kistern either. :/ And it's not like he was always trying to avoid her; he was perfectly happy to nest with her the first time.

@meena Welcome to the chat!

I almost always have multiple stories in progress, though sometimes I'm alternating between an RP/fanfic project and an original fiction work (and I will be more relaxed about the RP/fanfic projects). I find juggling two stories works pretty well for me; I can keep track of the tone and story on both. If I'm trying to do more than three, one of them is probably suffering a lot for it.

I've tried prioritizing Just One Thing, but often what happens is that the One Thing becomes the thing I'm not doing, and I'm not doing anything else either. Giving myself permission to do "less important" things at least means I do something. Which is better than playing with dragons all day and getting nothing done. c_c But as Micah says: everyone is different in what works for them! And sometimes I do things that don't work very well for me because I haven't stumbled on a way that works better yet.

I don't start a story unless I'm in love with the idea, but I work on plenty of stories when I'm not in love with writing them at the moment. I'd never finish anything if I only wrote when I was inspired.

I haven't written any books about faeries, but I did do a 24 hour comic using the tiny insect-winged style. I should get that back online someday; it was up for a few years on a personal website that's gone now.

And yes, this thread is open to talking about whatever writing thing you like! And the occasional non-writing thing. Like dragon hatchlings. You know.

@PocketTheSaurus Your mode of writing and jumping between things sounds very much like mine. Heh!

@hinotoriii Congrats on the progress with your fanfic and dragon bios! Possibly I should do more writing and less writing-about-writing myself.

@LadySlayer Outis is a very Christmasy dragon! Interesting how he set out to build his Charge by making the clan. Neat!

@benalene Write the story. The story compels you. You know you want to. @_@

@micahjaguar The shrubbery is so ... shrub-like. Very. Shrub.

*plants it on a dragon*

12563680_350.png

... yeah.

*giggles at Tiant's update* It looks like a stole on him! I hope woodpeckers don't join that hookbeak ....

@Hurricanesong Eeeee down to just five dragons! /o_o\ I hope the horrible plague that got the rest doesn't come back for the survivors. D:

@Pookasaur Jocasta would love to hear from Blake! Everyone wants to know how things are going at her new lair. *nods*

*pets the little tiger fae baby* She's perfect for a festival baby!

Since Meena asked about current projects, here's mine:
  1. Serializing A Rational Arrangement: I finished writing this book over a year ago, and finished editing it in March, and finished proof-reading the e-book this morning, and it is still eating up a lot of my time. Maybe when I get the frontmatter/backmatter for the ebook done and have finally kicked it out the door (which I will do in June), this will consume a more reasonable number of thoughtcycles. Ugh.
  2. Writing Birthright: This is the sequel to a novel I finished in 2006. I love the original, but it ends on a cliffhanger and I have struggled off and on with writing the sequel (which will require revision to the original) ever since. So I'm making one of my occasional efforts to finish it again.
  3. Doing header illustrations for RA: I thought that illustrations would be a good way to attract attention for the serial, and doing them has become addictive. I keep telling myself that I need to re-use them instead, and then drawing new ones anyway. This is what I've been spending most of my creative time on since early April.
  4. Play-by-email game: I've got an RP I've been running for a year or so, and that I have been neglecting badly for most of this year. It still occupies the occasional "I should do something with this" slot, though.
  5. Dragon bios/chat thread: This needs no explanation, right?

That list is in priority order. Currently, I am procrastinating on 1 & 2, diligent about 3, doing almost nothing with 4, and diligent about 5. I am not very good at doing things in priority order.
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@LadyRowyn
Thank you! :)
The encyclopedia entry on the guardians helped to form a really cool story for me!
@LadyRowyn
Thank you! :)
The encyclopedia entry on the guardians helped to form a really cool story for me!
fr_plaguebanner_by_seepranne-d6ghm2z.gif
@meena I guess for me one of the important things to remember is that I'm super-excited about a project... at the beginning. Once it becomes hard work, it's hard for me to remember why I love it. Once it's done, I remember why I loved it, but if I gave up because I wasn't still having that first "I'm in love" endorphin rush, I'd never finish anything! @Pookasaur I'm hoping both Jocasta and Kistern can be adults about this once they run into each other again (after they've straightened their heads out). *claws crossed* Also, lookit your Greenskeeper babies! So leafy! @LadyRowyn That dragon is bioless! Why does she have a shrub growing on her? o_O *** So here is my project: [b]1. Editing Epic Fantasy Trilogy.[/b] I'm 2/3rds done with this and should be done by mid-summer. Which is good because hey or high water it's going out in mid-summer. Book 1 is in fact on Kindle Scout and is launching Wednesday; I want to see if me and my fans can convince Amazon to give it a fancy contract/advertising push. That would be awesome. That's it. Once I'm done with this, I'll have hit my target for the year of releasing at least 3 novels (I'll have released 5: a romance in February, a space adventure in May, and then the three epic fantasy novels in summer). At that point, I have permission to goof off, which for me means 'do whatever you want without worrying about deadlines.' I do have plans: I have a Kickstarter to run to help pay for a new laptop, and I have one of three writing projects I might do that will be fun... for me... particularly when not written to deadline. *grin* But I'm not allowed to think about the fun stuff until I'm done with the Needs to Be Done stuff, which is the epic fantasy. *scratches head* I don't know how many other people here are doing this professionally, though, so I wouldn't use me as an example for anything unless you're insane. :) My one baby of the day looks like the waters of a tropical beach! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13482967] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134830/13482967_350.png[/img] [/url]
@meena I guess for me one of the important things to remember is that I'm super-excited about a project... at the beginning. Once it becomes hard work, it's hard for me to remember why I love it. Once it's done, I remember why I loved it, but if I gave up because I wasn't still having that first "I'm in love" endorphin rush, I'd never finish anything!

@Pookasaur I'm hoping both Jocasta and Kistern can be adults about this once they run into each other again (after they've straightened their heads out). *claws crossed* Also, lookit your Greenskeeper babies! So leafy!

@LadyRowyn That dragon is bioless! Why does she have a shrub growing on her? o_O

So here is my project:

1. Editing Epic Fantasy Trilogy. I'm 2/3rds done with this and should be done by mid-summer. Which is good because hey or high water it's going out in mid-summer. Book 1 is in fact on Kindle Scout and is launching Wednesday; I want to see if me and my fans can convince Amazon to give it a fancy contract/advertising push. That would be awesome.

That's it. Once I'm done with this, I'll have hit my target for the year of releasing at least 3 novels (I'll have released 5: a romance in February, a space adventure in May, and then the three epic fantasy novels in summer). At that point, I have permission to goof off, which for me means 'do whatever you want without worrying about deadlines.' I do have plans: I have a Kickstarter to run to help pay for a new laptop, and I have one of three writing projects I might do that will be fun... for me... particularly when not written to deadline. *grin* But I'm not allowed to think about the fun stuff until I'm done with the Needs to Be Done stuff, which is the epic fantasy.

*scratches head* I don't know how many other people here are doing this professionally, though, so I wouldn't use me as an example for anything unless you're insane. :)

My one baby of the day looks like the waters of a tropical beach!

13482967_350.png
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
I'm going to do a writing-heavy Nuzlocke really soon as well as more of my dragons' bios as a result of it. I hope to deliver an interesting plot and evolve my writing skills a little further with it! :-D

Also, good luck to everyone who's going to write English finals/exams soon! You got this!
I'm going to do a writing-heavy Nuzlocke really soon as well as more of my dragons' bios as a result of it. I hope to deliver an interesting plot and evolve my writing skills a little further with it! :-D

Also, good luck to everyone who's going to write English finals/exams soon! You got this!
w7Z8MA5.png
@LadySlayer *gives you a gold star for that pun* @micahjaguar Ahahaha, Tiant cracks me up! Not his bio necessarily (although I like the whole "at least the birds will have somewhere to perch") but the way he's dressed makes me grin every time I look at him. You would never guess that underneath all of that he's sand/beige/beige! Also, book one of your new trilogy is coming out on Wednesday?!? What is Kindle Scout and how do I use it to get my hands on that? (I totally owe myself an early birthday present, and that would fit the bill). @LadyRowyn Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose writing keeps jumping around! I swear I'm [i]trying[/i] to focus and just get through book one already, but the struggle is real. My goal is to finish the editing/rewriting of book one before NaNoWriMo rolls around again and pulls me off onto a different project. (Also, if it motivates you at all, I'm really enjoying [i]A Rational Arrangement[/i] so far. Keep it up!) I haven't gotten any of the shrub apparel yet, but I did get lucky and found a chest while gathering. The male wildclaw accent looks pretty sharp on Dmitri: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1842108] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/18422/1842108_350.png[/img] [/url]
@LadySlayer *gives you a gold star for that pun*

@micahjaguar Ahahaha, Tiant cracks me up! Not his bio necessarily (although I like the whole "at least the birds will have somewhere to perch") but the way he's dressed makes me grin every time I look at him. You would never guess that underneath all of that he's sand/beige/beige!

Also, book one of your new trilogy is coming out on Wednesday?!? What is Kindle Scout and how do I use it to get my hands on that? (I totally owe myself an early birthday present, and that would fit the bill).

@LadyRowyn Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose writing keeps jumping around! I swear I'm trying to focus and just get through book one already, but the struggle is real. My goal is to finish the editing/rewriting of book one before NaNoWriMo rolls around again and pulls me off onto a different project.
(Also, if it motivates you at all, I'm really enjoying A Rational Arrangement so far. Keep it up!)

I haven't gotten any of the shrub apparel yet, but I did get lucky and found a chest while gathering. The male wildclaw accent looks pretty sharp on Dmitri:

1842108_350.png
5NpWyuc.png oq4SbhH.png 8qtlLxx.gif
*flops down and pants* GOD help me only eight more of these crazy things... After this year is done I am NEVER working a raffle again. NEVER. I don't have a bio yet, but I do have these three fluff-butts. Who the RNG decided to give them all purple underbellies. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13426612] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134267/13426612_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13426613] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134267/13426613_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13426614] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134267/13426614_350.png[/img] [/url] OH GOD... more messages...
*flops down and pants* GOD help me only eight more of these crazy things... After this year is done I am NEVER working a raffle again. NEVER.

I don't have a bio yet, but I do have these three fluff-butts. Who the RNG decided to give them all purple underbellies.

13426612_350.png

13426613_350.png

13426614_350.png

OH GOD... more messages...
@PocketTheSaurus Dmitri looks gorgeous in the accent! I am so disappointed that most of the accents don't seem to work on dragons I have. It's tempting to go buy some new ones just for the festival accents, but every time I do that I get disappointed within a few weeks, and then it's exalt city. -_- Kindle Scout is Amazon's "let the crowd show us the way to awesome new stuff" contest. Basically everyone with an Amazon account gets a limited number of "endorsements" per month they can apply to books people like me have put up through the program for evaluation. Manuscripts that get lots of Amazon customers saying 'this is awesome!' will get put in a pile for review by Amazon for a contract that has some nice perks I'd like to have! Wednesday, then, I'll have a little campaign page where people can read the first 20 pages or so and then they can use one of their votes on it if they like it. If it gets enough votes, it might get lucky. It would be as likely as me winning the lottery, but it costs me nothing to try: the nomination period lasts a month, so I'll know pretty quickly if I succeeded, and if I didn't, I can just self-publish the trilogy. No big deal. :) But I am hoping, a little, that it will succeed! We shall see! @ShadesofCyan Aww, look at that first one! She reminds me of Xanthe, my old Mardi Gras dragon. :) I got another shrubbery! I put it on @SadariEvenstar's tundra. I... don't even know why. He looks like a hippie who crash-landed into a bush. o_O [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12730989] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/127310/12730989_350.png[/img] [/url] But it matches his fur? Or something? *pokes shrubbery* Honestly, this apparel is just... something else....
@PocketTheSaurus Dmitri looks gorgeous in the accent! I am so disappointed that most of the accents don't seem to work on dragons I have. It's tempting to go buy some new ones just for the festival accents, but every time I do that I get disappointed within a few weeks, and then it's exalt city. -_-

Kindle Scout is Amazon's "let the crowd show us the way to awesome new stuff" contest. Basically everyone with an Amazon account gets a limited number of "endorsements" per month they can apply to books people like me have put up through the program for evaluation. Manuscripts that get lots of Amazon customers saying 'this is awesome!' will get put in a pile for review by Amazon for a contract that has some nice perks I'd like to have! Wednesday, then, I'll have a little campaign page where people can read the first 20 pages or so and then they can use one of their votes on it if they like it. If it gets enough votes, it might get lucky. It would be as likely as me winning the lottery, but it costs me nothing to try: the nomination period lasts a month, so I'll know pretty quickly if I succeeded, and if I didn't, I can just self-publish the trilogy. No big deal. :)

But I am hoping, a little, that it will succeed! We shall see!

@ShadesofCyan Aww, look at that first one! She reminds me of Xanthe, my old Mardi Gras dragon. :)

I got another shrubbery! I put it on @SadariEvenstar's tundra. I... don't even know why. He looks like a hippie who crash-landed into a bush. o_O

12730989_350.png

But it matches his fur? Or something? *pokes shrubbery* Honestly, this apparel is just... something else....
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
Since I realized i have yet to actually compliment anyone (another awful trait of mine) I just wanted to say that I am enjoying reading the dragon bios. I haven't gone through them all yet, but they're quite good!

Still haven't written anything worthy of the public eye yet, but I'm trying. :)

@meena Welcome! I'm a newb here myself, working at fitting in. I have yet to actually start any of my stories, but the two that look to be the best bet for me to begin with are (1) a sf/fantasy about a guy who gradually over 100 years or so becomes a villian (the enemy of my entire world-scape) and (2) a sf/fantasy time travel story set in the same world-scape, a sort of prequel to the first.
Since I realized i have yet to actually compliment anyone (another awful trait of mine) I just wanted to say that I am enjoying reading the dragon bios. I haven't gone through them all yet, but they're quite good!

Still haven't written anything worthy of the public eye yet, but I'm trying. :)

@meena Welcome! I'm a newb here myself, working at fitting in. I have yet to actually start any of my stories, but the two that look to be the best bet for me to begin with are (1) a sf/fantasy about a guy who gradually over 100 years or so becomes a villian (the enemy of my entire world-scape) and (2) a sf/fantasy time travel story set in the same world-scape, a sort of prequel to the first.
tumblr_inline_njviwmxG231qg2i5p.png
1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44 45