Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Flight Rising Community
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
While I completely agree that the things that Thrage said concerning transgender people (I identify as Bisexual myself, and I also disliked his claims against Pansexuality), I believe that it is wrong for anyone to respond to him with hatred or anger. While his views may hurt us, what good does it do to attack him and hurt him in return? What does it say about us for getting so angry?

Thrage was wrong. We get that. And I support his resignation. His behavior does reflect on the team and the site, whether it was meant to or not, and because of that he needed to leave. Sometimes, that's how being part of a team works. You have to keep certain, offensive opinions private. That doesn't mean you can't have them or that you're wrong for having them. It means you keep them to yourself or share them privately. Thrage made a mistake in letting it be public and offending so many people.

If anything, I am more upset with the way that Thrage handled the epilepsy situation on Facebook. I also saw screenshots that made me wonder how the site's money was being spent, and as such I am in a position where I feel that I can no longer fund the site in any way - advertisements or otherwise. I am sad to admit that, as I have nothing against the other staff members.

Those who are angry got what they wanted. Thrage is gone. I think, when it comes to the image the site chooses to give to players, this is a good thing. Thrage created controversies, and from my experience, that is never good for the life of any game, and too much of that can lead to the death of the game. I hope that Thrage's resignation helps to keep the site alive, as sad as it is. In the meantime, I also hope that he does some more research into the science behind gender identity and how important it really is to people. From reading what he said, it's clear that he didn't do his research properly, and I hope he takes this as a learning experience and learns from it.
While I completely agree that the things that Thrage said concerning transgender people (I identify as Bisexual myself, and I also disliked his claims against Pansexuality), I believe that it is wrong for anyone to respond to him with hatred or anger. While his views may hurt us, what good does it do to attack him and hurt him in return? What does it say about us for getting so angry?

Thrage was wrong. We get that. And I support his resignation. His behavior does reflect on the team and the site, whether it was meant to or not, and because of that he needed to leave. Sometimes, that's how being part of a team works. You have to keep certain, offensive opinions private. That doesn't mean you can't have them or that you're wrong for having them. It means you keep them to yourself or share them privately. Thrage made a mistake in letting it be public and offending so many people.

If anything, I am more upset with the way that Thrage handled the epilepsy situation on Facebook. I also saw screenshots that made me wonder how the site's money was being spent, and as such I am in a position where I feel that I can no longer fund the site in any way - advertisements or otherwise. I am sad to admit that, as I have nothing against the other staff members.

Those who are angry got what they wanted. Thrage is gone. I think, when it comes to the image the site chooses to give to players, this is a good thing. Thrage created controversies, and from my experience, that is never good for the life of any game, and too much of that can lead to the death of the game. I hope that Thrage's resignation helps to keep the site alive, as sad as it is. In the meantime, I also hope that he does some more research into the science behind gender identity and how important it really is to people. From reading what he said, it's clear that he didn't do his research properly, and I hope he takes this as a learning experience and learns from it.
Bravo to the team!

To the people who think outright firing a person after careful consideration of said person's involvement on a project, if only you knew the opinions on LGBT people from some key figures that some at very prominent entertainment companies have. You'd literally have no more entertainment to turn to, especially since said companies own basically the world's animation/film industry. Won't name names, but...yeah...
Bravo to the team!

To the people who think outright firing a person after careful consideration of said person's involvement on a project, if only you knew the opinions on LGBT people from some key figures that some at very prominent entertainment companies have. You'd literally have no more entertainment to turn to, especially since said companies own basically the world's animation/film industry. Won't name names, but...yeah...
8bSdh.gif
I just heard about this from a friend. I think Thrage has been quite mature as the rest of the admins and has sincerely apologized for his actions. Everyone makes mistakes EVERYONE DOES. yeah sometimes their not apporpirate but still. I think Thrage is a good and mature person for owning up to his own actions and taking responsibility for it. The people i am most disappointed in are the people in the community that fail to see it. Everyone has their own views and opinions and everyone is different, everyone is bound to go overboard about something sooner or later. I am glad Thrage is still going to be somewhat part community.

i am still going to stay on this site and help support it anyway i can. ^-^

i wish the best of luck to Thrage
I just heard about this from a friend. I think Thrage has been quite mature as the rest of the admins and has sincerely apologized for his actions. Everyone makes mistakes EVERYONE DOES. yeah sometimes their not apporpirate but still. I think Thrage is a good and mature person for owning up to his own actions and taking responsibility for it. The people i am most disappointed in are the people in the community that fail to see it. Everyone has their own views and opinions and everyone is different, everyone is bound to go overboard about something sooner or later. I am glad Thrage is still going to be somewhat part community.

i am still going to stay on this site and help support it anyway i can. ^-^

i wish the best of luck to Thrage
newbanner.png
The amount of people coming out in support for this transphobic ******** is... alarming.

Just saying that you're an ally of LGBT doesn't mean you are. Saying you're an advocate of civil rights and then turning around and saying black people are less evolved than everyone else and that it's "SCIENTIFIC FACT!!!11" means that you're not actually an advocate at all.

It's funny that the people who weren't hurt by this at all are trying to make this entirely about them.
The amount of people coming out in support for this transphobic ******** is... alarming.

Just saying that you're an ally of LGBT doesn't mean you are. Saying you're an advocate of civil rights and then turning around and saying black people are less evolved than everyone else and that it's "SCIENTIFIC FACT!!!11" means that you're not actually an advocate at all.

It's funny that the people who weren't hurt by this at all are trying to make this entirely about them.
I am ashamed to be even a part of this community at this point.

this was bullying in it's plainest form, and not by Thrage, but rather his swarm of witch hunters whom decided he had to go cause he had an OPINION that differed from their own. where the hell did free speech go, and since when is judging others for their beliefs something that is supported so openly by the internet as a whole?

I motion for those of us whom believe in, and support Thrage to cease activity on this site until his full rank and position be restored.

and before any of you look to me, and those whom follow me, saying "fine, if you want to quit over this, good riddance" I ask you to realize that I, and those whom think like I do, did NOT tell you this very thing when you spoke up against him.

treat others as you wish to be treated, and for the love of god respect others opinions if you expect to be respected in turn.
I am ashamed to be even a part of this community at this point.

this was bullying in it's plainest form, and not by Thrage, but rather his swarm of witch hunters whom decided he had to go cause he had an OPINION that differed from their own. where the hell did free speech go, and since when is judging others for their beliefs something that is supported so openly by the internet as a whole?

I motion for those of us whom believe in, and support Thrage to cease activity on this site until his full rank and position be restored.

and before any of you look to me, and those whom follow me, saying "fine, if you want to quit over this, good riddance" I ask you to realize that I, and those whom think like I do, did NOT tell you this very thing when you spoke up against him.

treat others as you wish to be treated, and for the love of god respect others opinions if you expect to be respected in turn.
[quote name="Dragonflyte" date="2013-07-19 14:42:41" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=6&id=609580#610450"]Thank you FR staff, for trying to make this a place we can all feel welcome. Everyone else: [b]We are all allowed to have our opinions. [/b] But don't turn it into a fight, especially here. If you don't like what they did, you don't have to stay. The choice to stay or leave is COMPLETELY yours. If you do agree with what they did, say thank you and leave it at that. All the nasty comments I've been seeing really won't help anything.[/quote] @Dragonflyte Well said, I agree completely. The admins have dealt with the situation. If people are still not happy/not feeling safe here, they have the choice to leave.
Thank you FR staff, for trying to make this a place we can all feel welcome.

Everyone else: We are all allowed to have our opinions. But don't turn it into a fight, especially here. If you don't like what they did, you don't have to stay. The choice to stay or leave is COMPLETELY yours. If you do agree with what they did, say thank you and leave it at that. All the nasty comments I've been seeing really won't help anything.

@Dragonflyte

Well said, I agree completely. The admins have dealt with the situation. If people are still not happy/not feeling safe here, they have the choice to leave.
@Konakuer [quote name="Konakuer" date="2013-07-19 14:38:02" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=5&id=609580#610373"] What he said about the mutilating stuff is completely, [b]officially[/b] true.[/quote] CITATION NEEDED. [quote]Do you know the meaning of the word? There you have it.[/quote] I know that calling the surgical procedures some Transgender folk go under as "mutilation" is disgusting. [quote]By the way, I didn't notice he said anything about epilepsy. Gotta read it again, I have to admit I didn't know that.[/quote] [url=http://andigreyscale.tumblr.com/post/55833962872/gross-really-gross]He did, and here's a link showing it for you. [/url] [quote]Still, I see almost all the drama because of his opinion on genders.[/quote] Please keep in mind that there are players who are transgender and/or non-binary though. As I've said before, employers will actually go through a potential employee's social networks (if they have any) looking for things like Thrage has said because it could be a potential PR problem down the road. [quote]For example, Arthur Connan Doyle was a racist. And as you can see, there are LOTS of Sherlock Holmes fans from all races. Like me, and I don't really care how racist he was, because the books are great. I love them.[/quote] I care. Any example would be the author of the Enders Game series, Orson Scott. Because of his disgusting views on homosexuality, I will never buy any of his books or pay money to see the upcoming Enders Game movie. [quote]A lot of "important" people say horrible stuff on public media, and they have to be fired or pay for their mistakes. This wasn't the point, since it was on a Facebook PERSONAL profile.[/quote] The problem was when he mixed his personal life with business. I understand many others don't like his gender and sexuality comments, but my own beef is the Static Shock comment. FB allows you to keep posts private, which I'm sure he was aware of. [quote]What I've learned is, if you don't want to get hurt/offended, when you look at something that may do it, just go away.[/quote] Horrible way to deal with a problem. Leaving or just ignoring will not magically make the problem go away and it just means those unaware and new may end up having to deal with it. I don't think that's right. [quote]And these people didn't. They kept looking and reading. And it honestly sucks.[/quote] I'm glad they kept looking and reading. I don't ignore problems, I try to solve them. And sometimes solving them means hurting feelings of others in the process. [quote]Also, what point did I lose? You didn't like the coments he made, that's it.[/quote] Way to miss it again, and no, that isn't it. I've provided the information above that shows that. I will no longer be interacting with you for awhile.
@Konakuer

What he said about the mutilating stuff is completely, officially true.

CITATION NEEDED.
Quote:
Do you know the meaning of the word? There you have it.

I know that calling the surgical procedures some Transgender folk go under as "mutilation" is disgusting.
Quote:
By the way, I didn't notice he said anything about epilepsy. Gotta read it again, I have to admit I didn't know that.

He did, and here's a link showing it for you.
Quote:
Still, I see almost all the drama because of his opinion on genders.

Please keep in mind that there are players who are transgender and/or non-binary though. As I've said before, employers will actually go through a potential employee's social networks (if they have any) looking for things like Thrage has said because it could be a potential PR problem down the road.
Quote:
For example, Arthur Connan Doyle was a racist. And as you can see, there are LOTS of Sherlock Holmes fans from all races. Like me, and I don't really care how racist he was, because the books are great. I love them.

I care. Any example would be the author of the Enders Game series, Orson Scott. Because of his disgusting views on homosexuality, I will never buy any of his books or pay money to see the upcoming Enders Game movie.
Quote:
A lot of "important" people say horrible stuff on public media, and they have to be fired or pay for their mistakes. This wasn't the point, since it was on a Facebook PERSONAL profile.

The problem was when he mixed his personal life with business. I understand many others don't like his gender and sexuality comments, but my own beef is the Static Shock comment.

FB allows you to keep posts private, which I'm sure he was aware of.
Quote:
What I've learned is, if you don't want to get hurt/offended, when you look at something that may do it, just go away.

Horrible way to deal with a problem. Leaving or just ignoring will not magically make the problem go away and it just means those unaware and new may end up having to deal with it. I don't think that's right.
Quote:
And these people didn't. They kept looking and reading. And it honestly sucks.

I'm glad they kept looking and reading. I don't ignore problems, I try to solve them. And sometimes solving them means hurting feelings of others in the process.
Quote:
Also, what point did I lose? You didn't like the coments he made, that's it.

Way to miss it again, and no, that isn't it. I've provided the information above that shows that.
I will no longer be interacting with you for awhile.
NHzYzMb.png
Good post

We should understand that it's very hard to keep up with the responsibility as a admin and keep the emotions/(any)opinions under control at the same time.

it's not easy to keep the community 'friendly' but WE ALL SHOULD TRY for this sake of this fun website.

ok?
peace people
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Good post

We should understand that it's very hard to keep up with the responsibility as a admin and keep the emotions/(any)opinions under control at the same time.

it's not easy to keep the community 'friendly' but WE ALL SHOULD TRY for this sake of this fun website.

ok?
peace people
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
[quote name="Daeodon" date="2013-07-19 14:55:05" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=7&id=609580#610639"]The amount of people coming out in support for this transphobic dickhead is... alarming. Just saying that you're an ally of LGBT doesn't mean you [b]are.[/b] Saying you're an advocate of civil rights and then turning around and saying black people are less evolved than everyone else and that it's "SCIENTIFIC FACT!!!11" means that you're [b]not actually an advocate at all.[/b] It's funny that the people who weren't hurt by this at all are trying to make this entirely about them.[/quote]

[quote name="Kallona" date="2013-07-19 14:50:00" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=7&id=609580#610561"]I don't even know what he said, but people here are making silly comments. People here are saying it's unfair he didn't lose his job because of something he said in his Facebook page... like. WHAT. I'm quite sure my boss wouldn't approve everything I say, or all of my opinions, yet I'm not kicked out. People should be able to understand the difference between work and personal life & opinions. It's great Flight Rising staff is taking this case seriously, but I'm a bit puzzled here, still. Is it seriously any of ours business what he had said [i]in his Facebook[/i] page..? I would understand if he had said this things [i]on[/i] the site, but he haven't. Of course I agree people should learn to control what they let out from their mouths, since humans these days seem to be so very sensitive over everything. But maybe the rest of us also should try to just calm down. All sort of stuff happens in this life. [i]C'est la vie.[/i] Thank you for the update, though.[/quote] @kallona it's really not our business, some people just like to make a big deal out of every little thing. like i said before, i would block and move on, instead of attempting to ruin another person's life. you people should feel ashamed.
I don't even know what he said, but people here are making silly comments. People here are saying it's unfair he didn't lose his job because of something he said in his Facebook page... like. WHAT.
I'm quite sure my boss wouldn't approve everything I say, or all of my opinions, yet I'm not kicked out. People should be able to understand the difference between work and personal life & opinions.

It's great Flight Rising staff is taking this case seriously, but I'm a bit puzzled here, still.
Is it seriously any of ours business what he had said in his Facebook page..? I would understand if he had said this things on the site, but he haven't.

Of course I agree people should learn to control what they let out from their mouths, since humans these days seem to be so very sensitive over everything. But maybe the rest of us also should try to just calm down. All sort of stuff happens in this life.
C'est la vie.

Thank you for the update, though.
@kallona it's really not our business, some people just like to make a big deal out of every little thing. like i said before, i would block and move on, instead of attempting to ruin another person's life. you people should feel ashamed.
piggyumb_zpsbe55c07c.png
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18