Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 65 66
[quote name="Disme" date="2022-12-14 12:23:27" ] while i don't necessarily believe that all stories and fiction should be interpreted as an allegory for extremely specific real-world dynamics and history, i definitely think that the old lore was uncomfortably similar (in too many ways) to very specific and very real circumstances. [/quote]
Disme wrote on 2022-12-14 12:23:27:
while i don't necessarily believe that all stories and fiction should be interpreted as an allegory for extremely specific real-world dynamics and history, i definitely think that the old lore was uncomfortably similar (in too many ways) to very specific and very real circumstances.
hIMo3xJ.png f4iXRVq.png
J7D1quC.png
lAvpyOQ.png
FObX7rS.png
DxCICZ1.png
i rarely see games go out of their way like this to address player feedback about colonialist themes and correct major parts of site lore! what a fantastic start! :)
i rarely see games go out of their way like this to address player feedback about colonialist themes and correct major parts of site lore! what a fantastic start! :)
a screenshot of a youtube comment dated ten years ago from Povilas Šorys. the comment says, 'why he has to squeak and mewl while singing? I hate radiohead'
Thank you for this change! ♥

Still kind of uncomfortable about the concept of having humanoids as familiars, but I suppose I'll have to live with it.
Thank you for this change! ♥

Still kind of uncomfortable about the concept of having humanoids as familiars, but I suppose I'll have to live with it.
latest.gif
or check out my Gijinka design shop here!
This is lovely news, and I'm delighted harpies are where it starts! I always loved them as creatures and thought they had a ton of aesthetic potential. Woo!
This is lovely news, and I'm delighted harpies are where it starts! I always loved them as creatures and thought they had a ton of aesthetic potential. Woo!
I'm glad this decision was made. The whole colonization thing always rubbed me the wrong way.
I'm glad this decision was made. The whole colonization thing always rubbed me the wrong way.
0DJvxSf.png
Pgv53XB.png
Ms8zPwX.png
ekux78o.png
Baltic | He/Him | FR Time +2
Siffrin-sprite.png please come talk to me about ISAT that game has a hold on me rn Siffrin-sprite.png
tCsqc24.png
Ut9RRot.png
gYW0j5f.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
Love the new familiars, and I’m glad the team decided to address the lore!
Love the new familiars, and I’m glad the team decided to address the lore!
FR time +3
She/her
this is a great way to address it, thank you team!!
this is a great way to address it, thank you team!!
hu72dVR.png
Am I the only person who's baffled that they finally addressed this serious issue in lore (which is good - overdue, but good)... and then went and stocked four new humanoid familiars in the treasure marketplace, which was a previously addressed issue to remove any implications of trafficking and slave labor? Because it's kinda whack to me that this happened specifically in an update meant to address sensitivity.
Am I the only person who's baffled that they finally addressed this serious issue in lore (which is good - overdue, but good)... and then went and stocked four new humanoid familiars in the treasure marketplace, which was a previously addressed issue to remove any implications of trafficking and slave labor? Because it's kinda whack to me that this happened specifically in an update meant to address sensitivity.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
I was also on the page of hoping for an evolution rather than a total retcon, but I'm glad others have found peace in this decision and I hope this new direction gives the dev team greater freedom and inspiration. It's completely understandable that they'd like to remove the implication of colonialism from what's supposed to be a fun, lighthearted dragon pixel game

I do want to say though... I hope that being literally possessed by evil shade juice isn't the only reason that BeastClans take up arms against dragons and that there's still conflict, especially with specific, canonically destructive flights

It's odd to think that this is a world being actively ravaged by a festering blight, dragon capitalism and the resource extraction that comes with that, warfare over territory and cultural dominance, elemental instability probably due to awful land stewardship by the deities themselves... and organized conflict is only happening between dragonkind? BeastClans are just... left alone? Talona isn't doing anything notable as the biggest non-Dragon God political entity?

I just hope that the BeastClans keep their agency after all the retconning is done. I like them a lot and I'm very invested in them. I don't want to see them just become peaceful background elements, good intention accidentally swinging into the 'noble savage' trope

All that said, the apology is excellent, welcome, and overdue. Whatever happens from here on out is a step into a better direction.
I was also on the page of hoping for an evolution rather than a total retcon, but I'm glad others have found peace in this decision and I hope this new direction gives the dev team greater freedom and inspiration. It's completely understandable that they'd like to remove the implication of colonialism from what's supposed to be a fun, lighthearted dragon pixel game

I do want to say though... I hope that being literally possessed by evil shade juice isn't the only reason that BeastClans take up arms against dragons and that there's still conflict, especially with specific, canonically destructive flights

It's odd to think that this is a world being actively ravaged by a festering blight, dragon capitalism and the resource extraction that comes with that, warfare over territory and cultural dominance, elemental instability probably due to awful land stewardship by the deities themselves... and organized conflict is only happening between dragonkind? BeastClans are just... left alone? Talona isn't doing anything notable as the biggest non-Dragon God political entity?

I just hope that the BeastClans keep their agency after all the retconning is done. I like them a lot and I'm very invested in them. I don't want to see them just become peaceful background elements, good intention accidentally swinging into the 'noble savage' trope

All that said, the apology is excellent, welcome, and overdue. Whatever happens from here on out is a step into a better direction.
it feels crazy that this is being addressed, big props to the team, that lore point of the dragons driving beat clans away, killing them and and making them change their ways and lose big parts of their culture and behaviours (harpies no longer being artisians to focus on war, longnecks having become more agressive instead of peaceful, maren architeture being detsroyed and them being forced to move to the depts) was always disturbing to me
it feels crazy that this is being addressed, big props to the team, that lore point of the dragons driving beat clans away, killing them and and making them change their ways and lose big parts of their culture and behaviours (harpies no longer being artisians to focus on war, longnecks having become more agressive instead of peaceful, maren architeture being detsroyed and them being forced to move to the depts) was always disturbing to me
GJ4HbdE.gif
1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 65 66