Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 65 66
Thank you for this update. The new lore is very thoughtful and appreciated by all players of FR. [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
Thank you for this update. The new lore is very thoughtful and appreciated by all players of FR.
Ooh, this is much better. It's far less problematic, and it allows for the diversification of lore. Maybe you want your dragons to be actively at war with the Beastclans, maybe you don't, but now you don't have to be fighting any particular group. Maybe your Ice clan is allied with the Longnecks but not with the Harpies, their biggest trading partner. Maybe your dragons don't trust Centaurs because they have too many legs. Maybe you're housing Corven rebels banished from their clan after a failed political coup and don't get what the big deal about it is. The point is, you can CHOOSE when you want any of your lore to explore potentially problematic content. You don't HAVE to be the bad guys. And that's good.

And the new scene is gorgeous. Would love to see more like it in the future.
Ooh, this is much better. It's far less problematic, and it allows for the diversification of lore. Maybe you want your dragons to be actively at war with the Beastclans, maybe you don't, but now you don't have to be fighting any particular group. Maybe your Ice clan is allied with the Longnecks but not with the Harpies, their biggest trading partner. Maybe your dragons don't trust Centaurs because they have too many legs. Maybe you're housing Corven rebels banished from their clan after a failed political coup and don't get what the big deal about it is. The point is, you can CHOOSE when you want any of your lore to explore potentially problematic content. You don't HAVE to be the bad guys. And that's good.

And the new scene is gorgeous. Would love to see more like it in the future.
kDetLAz.pngOne fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.5utJSlY.png
When I joined I never really read much of the lore (just the dragon species encyclopedia entries) so I wasn't aware of the comparison between the beastclans lore and the negative topics it mirrored.

I saw it brought up a few time though and I do appreciate that staff is willing to take responsibility and work to change it. I also approciate that the original lore isn't being completely deleted.

Its similar to how Disney treats they're older cartoons that had references to racism: there's a disclaimer at the beginning saying "to deny the existence of the problems contained within is to deny the problem existed at all."

Anyway, good update! The new scene is so nice!
When I joined I never really read much of the lore (just the dragon species encyclopedia entries) so I wasn't aware of the comparison between the beastclans lore and the negative topics it mirrored.

I saw it brought up a few time though and I do appreciate that staff is willing to take responsibility and work to change it. I also approciate that the original lore isn't being completely deleted.

Its similar to how Disney treats they're older cartoons that had references to racism: there's a disclaimer at the beginning saying "to deny the existence of the problems contained within is to deny the problem existed at all."

Anyway, good update! The new scene is so nice!
QoiHu86.png
The thoughtfulness and care that goes into your updates is appreciated.
The thoughtfulness and care that goes into your updates is appreciated.
NGL the retcon bums me out. I get why you did it but leaves me feeling unfulfilled. It'd have been neat to have lore build up of the dragons and beastclans having to figure out their differences or come together to fight a common enemy (Shade) and have some morality brought on dragonkind so they can learn from their mistakes as a relatively young species to Sorienth. Instead it's just 'btw these biological war machines made by the Gods to claim territory for their God are now just friends with everyone and there's no conflict'.

Like i get it. Bit off more than you could handle with the initial drop and now it looks bad because remaking the site took over and Adventure mode took way longer than expected. Shame the conflict resolution's been completely hand waved away u_u
NGL the retcon bums me out. I get why you did it but leaves me feeling unfulfilled. It'd have been neat to have lore build up of the dragons and beastclans having to figure out their differences or come together to fight a common enemy (Shade) and have some morality brought on dragonkind so they can learn from their mistakes as a relatively young species to Sorienth. Instead it's just 'btw these biological war machines made by the Gods to claim territory for their God are now just friends with everyone and there's no conflict'.

Like i get it. Bit off more than you could handle with the initial drop and now it looks bad because remaking the site took over and Adventure mode took way longer than expected. Shame the conflict resolution's been completely hand waved away u_u
2dMJezN.pngqIEuPPv.png
16 year old me who was dogpiled, swarmed by pedants and accused of racism against white europeans for voicing her discomfort with the old lore is ecstatic, btw.

seriously, im so glad this is being changed. its incredibly refreshing to have a game comapny actually acknowledge stuff like this
16 year old me who was dogpiled, swarmed by pedants and accused of racism against white europeans for voicing her discomfort with the old lore is ecstatic, btw.

seriously, im so glad this is being changed. its incredibly refreshing to have a game comapny actually acknowledge stuff like this
~celestial bodies don't care if you screw up~
I'm very proud of you for taking these steps, devs. [emoji=heart size=1]
I'm very proud of you for taking these steps, devs.
I really appreciate the change in lore, thank you!
As an older player familiar with the old lore, I like the new implementations much better. The old harpy lore was heartbreaking, the destruction of culture is heartbreaking. I'm glad the old lore isn't being pushed under the rug either and mistakes are accounted for.
I really appreciate the change in lore, thank you!
As an older player familiar with the old lore, I like the new implementations much better. The old harpy lore was heartbreaking, the destruction of culture is heartbreaking. I'm glad the old lore isn't being pushed under the rug either and mistakes are accounted for.
anomalous_nekomata.png
Awesome! I think it'd still be nice to have some conflict in some parts of the world, as that would be realistic. But the fighting over land and resources specifically was quite uncomfortable. Letting us decide for ourselves where our clans stand (are certain beastclans friends? neighbors? strictly business partners? enemies? ect) will be nice!
Awesome! I think it'd still be nice to have some conflict in some parts of the world, as that would be realistic. But the fighting over land and resources specifically was quite uncomfortable. Letting us decide for ourselves where our clans stand (are certain beastclans friends? neighbors? strictly business partners? enemies? ect) will be nice!
64590965-12.png
Apology is nice, retcon is weird.
Apology is nice, retcon is weird.
Looking for this UMA wm1ug.gif0gfpV.gif
1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 65 66