Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | A Regal Bearing
1 2 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 75 76
cool genes! [emoji=wildclaw star size=1]
cool genes!
hn2ji.gifsK33C.gifMhLU4.gif
An interesting gene for sure, but I'm not sure it is quite worth the gem gene status. Doesn't seem as intricate as the other gem genes we've gotten, though perhaps that is the price we pay for getting flaunt and flair as treasure genes.

I don't exactly see myself using it in the future, given my current aesthetic... there's much less expensive genes that will give me the same look given the colors I tend to frequent. I might look into getting an XXX gold dragon with these genes, though, since that will most likely fit better.
An interesting gene for sure, but I'm not sure it is quite worth the gem gene status. Doesn't seem as intricate as the other gem genes we've gotten, though perhaps that is the price we pay for getting flaunt and flair as treasure genes.

I don't exactly see myself using it in the future, given my current aesthetic... there's much less expensive genes that will give me the same look given the colors I tend to frequent. I might look into getting an XXX gold dragon with these genes, though, since that will most likely fit better.
y5opRlk.gif
THOSE GENES
THE NAMES

THAT VOGUEPUFF AAAHHHHHHH
THOSE GENES
THE NAMES

THAT VOGUEPUFF AAAHHHHHHH
vonVRKR.pngWBzMulf.png lfh.png
Omg
Omg
THOSE LOOK AMAZING!!!
THOSE LOOK AMAZING!!!
notn.png Root_Veggie.png
[quote name="000000" date="2022-01-19 22:52:03" ] [snipped] And, I mean, I like how they look on my iPad as well, and that’s where I first looked at them. They do lose detail because of the high contrast, but so do a lot of other things on the site, including darker genes/colors, so it’s not as if there’s no precedent here. Sapphire, sanguine, obsidian, etc. dragons are all fairly difficult to see detail of, especially with genes that darken the pattern any. For example: [img] https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=87&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=0&tert=110&tertgene=0&winggene=4&wings=10&auth=215d2f91570fac07abc40ce13261883adcd8ce13&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=16&breed=7&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=1&tert=110&tertgene=0&winggene=87&wings=10&auth=96cf26ab777e2e18d0bf9927848882e83e414d19&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img] https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=55&breed=18&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=1&tert=110&tertgene=0&winggene=55&wings=10&auth=b617c3842be46a74da9cd472ed3bc23d9cda6e6d&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Looking at these images on my iPad, and on the pure white background of the preview screen, I struggle to see much detail on these dragons at all. I don’t think that means they should be changed, though. When you have thousands of uses with thousands of different devices, there isn’t going to be any one optimal solution. [/quote] This pretty much sums it up for me. I hope they don't change it, I think the darkness is perfect, and it's certainly not anything new. If you don't like the genes, don't use them. I personally love them.
000000 wrote on 2022-01-19 22:52:03:

[snipped]

And, I mean, I like how they look on my iPad as well, and that’s where I first looked at them. They do lose detail because of the high contrast, but so do a lot of other things on the site, including darker genes/colors, so it’s not as if there’s no precedent here. Sapphire, sanguine, obsidian, etc. dragons are all fairly difficult to see detail of, especially with genes that darken the pattern any.

For example:

dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=87&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=0&tert=110&tertgene=0&winggene=4&wings=10&auth=215d2f91570fac07abc40ce13261883adcd8ce13&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=16&breed=7&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=1&tert=110&tertgene=0&winggene=87&wings=10&auth=96cf26ab777e2e18d0bf9927848882e83e414d19&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=55&breed=18&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=1&tert=110&tertgene=0&winggene=55&wings=10&auth=b617c3842be46a74da9cd472ed3bc23d9cda6e6d&dummyext=prev.png

Looking at these images on my iPad, and on the pure white background of the preview screen, I struggle to see much detail on these dragons at all. I don’t think that means they should be changed, though. When you have thousands of uses with thousands of different devices, there isn’t going to be any one optimal solution.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I hope they don't change it, I think the darkness is perfect, and it's certainly not anything new. If you don't like the genes, don't use them. I personally love them.
we_do_what_s_best_for_us_by_caosgii-dcf2y73.png
Cal
they/them
-1 FR time

♥ Art Shop
They look like fish!!! Amazing
They look like fish!!! Amazing
Ot3Ahks.jpg
Pog
Pog
we’re a traveling circus that originated somewhere near the shadow domain

yes we do charge for shows
[quote name="Natron" date="2022-01-20 07:26:51" ] [quote name="@Gryffion" date="2022-01-19 08:10:52" ] [quote name="Natron" date="2022-01-19 07:51:21" ] Guys, something you need to take into account when talking about the darkness of genes is the background on which the image exists. Take that image, put it on a darker background. The genes are not completely black and you'll see it once you've stopped looking at the pure white background of the FR website template. [/quote] Yes they are not completly black, I agree. But still they will be mainly displayed against light bacground ( I'm taking scenes to equasion) and not dark one. Keeping this in mind I would argue that picking so dark colours was really strange choice. [/quote] Excellent point. It's possible that the artists were working against a darker background. I too work on a non-white canvas so my eyes aren't too strained, it appears they just didn't consider that this will exist on a primarily white website. Some of my accents also ended up slightly darker than I had intended so I know it happens. But something else some people have pointed out - these are black genes. That's kinda the point of them. Obsidian does the exact same on multiple genes and poses where the visibility of the lineart and shadows is practically invisible. These genes appear to be using a colour very similar to Obsidian so... is black too black? Is dark too dark? Just like no one is forced to have a dragon with Obsidian or Sapphire or Sanguine, no one is forced to have these genes either. Still, a confirmation from the Staff letting us know whether these are broken or not would be excellent. I don't mind either way but I think I prefer this darkness. [/quote] @Natron Staff has confirmed in the error reports thread (multiple times even; [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3096169/6#post_50114913]most recent update, I think[/url]) that the darkness is not an error and very much intentional! =)
Natron wrote on 2022-01-20 07:26:51:
@Gryffion wrote on 2022-01-19 08:10:52:
Natron wrote on 2022-01-19 07:51:21:
Guys, something you need to take into account when talking about the darkness of genes is the background on which the image exists. Take that image, put it on a darker background. The genes are not completely black and you'll see it once you've stopped looking at the pure white background of the FR website template.

Yes they are not completly black, I agree. But still they will be mainly displayed against light bacground ( I'm taking scenes to equasion) and not dark one. Keeping this in mind I would argue that picking so dark colours was really strange choice.

Excellent point. It's possible that the artists were working against a darker background. I too work on a non-white canvas so my eyes aren't too strained, it appears they just didn't consider that this will exist on a primarily white website. Some of my accents also ended up slightly darker than I had intended so I know it happens.

But something else some people have pointed out - these are black genes. That's kinda the point of them. Obsidian does the exact same on multiple genes and poses where the visibility of the lineart and shadows is practically invisible. These genes appear to be using a colour very similar to Obsidian so... is black too black? Is dark too dark? Just like no one is forced to have a dragon with Obsidian or Sapphire or Sanguine, no one is forced to have these genes either.

Still, a confirmation from the Staff letting us know whether these are broken or not would be excellent. I don't mind either way but I think I prefer this darkness.
@Natron

Staff has confirmed in the error reports thread (multiple times even; most recent update, I think) that the darkness is not an error and very much intentional! =)
   dgHlSWG.png      LEpJMnn.png
Gj9DhHn.png
JkqGYr7.png
pyAp3dI.png
0HBKL8H.png
s7kOTpJ.gif
KRcB6uC.png
o4KdtaP.png
3aAdCVC.png
hbPQKyV.png
4ogWlJU.png
Rl71vuP.png