Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Keel: A New Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 81 82
[quote name="LunarStarfrost" date="2020-04-10 16:27:29" ] Here's a question. Why doesn't the staff do say, two or three WIP mock ups for us to look at and let us vote? They did it for ribbons of all things, you'd think something as important as a gene would at least get the same voting right as ribbons. I'm not even saying do this voting business for every single gene, maybe just twice a year so they could get a feeling for what their community wants before it goes into production. I understand this site needs things to be put out fast to maintain it's business. But it seems to me that they've had few more misses than usual when it comes to genes and apparel. While it's true you can't please everyone I think it's safe to say that this gene could have really used a little input from the community. [/quote] While obviously - I think we all know that - the existing genes can't be changed anymore, I'd absolutely love something like this for the future. Obviously it's impossible to please everyone, but this would help the userbase to feel more involved and [i]heard[/i] in a way.
LunarStarfrost wrote on 2020-04-10 16:27:29:
Here's a question. Why doesn't the staff do say, two or three WIP mock ups for us to look at and let us vote? They did it for ribbons of all things, you'd think something as important as a gene would at least get the same voting right as ribbons. I'm not even saying do this voting business for every single gene, maybe just twice a year so they could get a feeling for what their community wants before it goes into production. I understand this site needs things to be put out fast to maintain it's business. But it seems to me that they've had few more misses than usual when it comes to genes and apparel. While it's true you can't please everyone I think it's safe to say that this gene could have really used a little input from the community.

While obviously - I think we all know that - the existing genes can't be changed anymore, I'd absolutely love something like this for the future. Obviously it's impossible to please everyone, but this would help the userbase to feel more involved and heard in a way.
This is gene is super cool- cant wait to use it!
This is gene is super cool- cant wait to use it!
Yr0dYV1.png
I don't think there's any reason to "fix" this gene, since it's already out and people do like it and already have it. it would be unfair to those who enjoy the gene to change it now.
I don't think there's any reason to "fix" this gene, since it's already out and people do like it and already have it. it would be unfair to those who enjoy the gene to change it now.
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
[quote name="LunarStarfrost" date="2020-04-10 16:27:29" ] Here's a question. Why doesn't the staff do say, two or three WIP mock ups for us to look at and let us vote? They did it for ribbons of all things, you'd think something as important as a gene would at least get the same voting right as ribbons. I'm not even saying do this voting business for every single gene, maybe just twice a year so they could get a feeling for what their community wants before it goes into production. I understand this site needs things to be put out fast to maintain it's business. But it seems to me that they've had few more misses than usual when it comes to genes and apparel. While it's true you can't please everyone I think it's safe to say that this gene could have really used a little input from the community. [/quote] I like this idea! I agree that I wouldn't want it to be for every gene (plenty of people like myself enjoy genes that seem to be poorly received, such as crackle and contour - I'd be wary of majority rule dictating everything) but opening the door for feedback ahead of finalization for at least a few genes feels like it would be beneficial to both the community and for staff. o:
Here's a question. Why doesn't the staff do say, two or three WIP mock ups for us to look at and let us vote? They did it for ribbons of all things, you'd think something as important as a gene would at least get the same voting right as ribbons. I'm not even saying do this voting business for every single gene, maybe just twice a year so they could get a feeling for what their community wants before it goes into production. I understand this site needs things to be put out fast to maintain it's business. But it seems to me that they've had few more misses than usual when it comes to genes and apparel. While it's true you can't please everyone I think it's safe to say that this gene could have really used a little input from the community.

I like this idea! I agree that I wouldn't want it to be for every gene (plenty of people like myself enjoy genes that seem to be poorly received, such as crackle and contour - I'd be wary of majority rule dictating everything) but opening the door for feedback ahead of finalization for at least a few genes feels like it would be beneficial to both the community and for staff. o:
Die of Bargaining julien
. they/them
. sapphic
. witch
. avatar
[quote name="LunarStarfrost" date="2020-04-10 16:27:29" ] Here's a question. Why doesn't the staff do say, two or three WIP mock ups for us to look at and let us vote? They did it for ribbons of all things, you'd think something as important as a gene would at least get the same voting right as ribbons. I'm not even saying do this voting business for every single gene, maybe just twice a year so they could get a feeling for what their community wants before it goes into production. I understand this site needs things to be put out fast to maintain it's business. But it seems to me that they've had few more misses than usual when it comes to genes and apparel. While it's true you can't please everyone I think it's safe to say that this gene could have really used a little input from the community. [/quote] They did this for Tapir/Striation, and then never again for some reason

They did this for Tapir/Striation, and then never again for some reason
RUZTraI.png JTWHxfW.gif ======
13thKingdom wrote:
Lightweaver is clearly our Grand Nagus anyway.
She's got the biggest lobes.
Or, just release three new tert genes at the same time. You still won’t please everyone, but at least it fills in the gaps, for those who would like something quite different from the one tert gene?

I don’t think people should be that critical of new content in a game. New content adds just that much more variety!

I do think larger batches of new genes, familiars, etc, would decrease the feeling of “missed opportunity” for those who don’t favor a new tert gene.

But ultimately it’s a dragon game and there’s no reason to get overly frustrated with new developments.

(Please don’t take offense, I love the devs, it’s just a suggestion)
Or, just release three new tert genes at the same time. You still won’t please everyone, but at least it fills in the gaps, for those who would like something quite different from the one tert gene?

I don’t think people should be that critical of new content in a game. New content adds just that much more variety!

I do think larger batches of new genes, familiars, etc, would decrease the feeling of “missed opportunity” for those who don’t favor a new tert gene.

But ultimately it’s a dragon game and there’s no reason to get overly frustrated with new developments.

(Please don’t take offense, I love the devs, it’s just a suggestion)
I guess people are using the game database to also share their opinions on the gene. [emoji=coatl deadpan size=1]
I guess people are using the game database to also share their opinions on the gene.
@butcherbaby
I get liking the gene - despite its flaws, I might use it myself - but there's no reason to be insulting towards fellow players. There's ways of critiquing without being brash. I think your post has already been deleted by a mod once, let's all all not forget to still be kind to each other.
@butcherbaby
I get liking the gene - despite its flaws, I might use it myself - but there's no reason to be insulting towards fellow players. There's ways of critiquing without being brash. I think your post has already been deleted by a mod once, let's all all not forget to still be kind to each other.
something I don't understand is
why is it okay to insult the artist(s) who work on the game, but not critique the designs other players are saying are fixes?
why is it okay to call the official art ugly or lazy, but not the "fixes"?
what I'm getting at is. it isn't okay, neither is okay. don't be rude to the people who work on the site, don't be rude to the other players. please be nice to each other.
why is it okay to insult the artist(s) who work on the game, but not critique the designs other players are saying are fixes?
what I'm getting at is. it isn't okay, neither is okay. don't be rude to the people who work on the site, don't be rude to the other players. please be nice to each other.
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 17:02:10" ] something I don't understand is why is it okay to insult the artist(s) who work on the game, but not critique the designs other players are saying are fixes? why is it okay to call the official art ugly or lazy, but not the "fixes"? what I'm getting at is. it isn't okay, neither is okay. don't be rude to the people who work on the site, don't be rude to the other players. please be nice to each other. [/quote] The thing is, a lot (though not all) of the people commenting on the official art [i]are[/i] critiquing, not insulting. They're saying "this part of it bothers me, I think it would look better if-" which is constructive criticism. We're a userbase that generates Flight Rising's income, though gem purchases, site traffic, and merchandise sales. We are customers, and we have the right to object when the product doesn't meet our standards. This is an industry/consumer relationship. It is NOT okay to outright insult the people who are making mockup fixes for the gene, as I have been seeing happen. It is one thing to say that you wouldn't like it if the gene did look like the mockups, an entirely different thing to say you "wouldn't use the gene if it was free" if it looked the way the artist portrayed. While your message of being polite is absolutely one to be followed, being expected not to critique something you have issues with is unfair when you are providing the site with income. How is the FR staff supposed to know what is and isn't a good idea for future content without feedback from the users?
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 17:02:10:
The thing is, a lot (though not all) of the people commenting on the official art are critiquing, not insulting. They're saying "this part of it bothers me, I think it would look better if-" which is constructive criticism. We're a userbase that generates Flight Rising's income, though gem purchases, site traffic, and merchandise sales. We are customers, and we have the right to object when the product doesn't meet our standards. This is an industry/consumer relationship.

It is NOT okay to outright insult the people who are making mockup fixes for the gene, as I have been seeing happen. It is one thing to say that you wouldn't like it if the gene did look like the mockups, an entirely different thing to say you "wouldn't use the gene if it was free" if it looked the way the artist portrayed.

While your message of being polite is absolutely one to be followed, being expected not to critique something you have issues with is unfair when you are providing the site with income. How is the FR staff supposed to know what is and isn't a good idea for future content without feedback from the users?
FR+6
Check out my cerdae collection! Feel free to send trade offers.Cerdae10567_D25-10_26-1_139_0_6_0.png
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 81 82