Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Crystalline Gala 2019
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 54 55
I mean, it made sense for Tundras to get the extra skins this fest. They're the native dragon to Ice. The excess of Coatls is weird, though.

And... I'm not knocking any artist in particular, there's only one entry where I genuinely wonder why it was picked, but it looks like they were using 'this is my first submission' as a major criteria in the selections. Like, eyeballing it, it's about half and half, and that's... high. There's definitely a problem in competitions where the same highly experienced individuals constantly take the wins and there's no room for anyone else to get ground. That's when a competition stops being a competition and starts being a members' club. The sheer discouragement factor scares off would-be entrants. They'll try once or twice, then give up because they feel they can't compete, and eventually you're left with only the most talented/experienced/time-investing of the bunch, to all other artists' detriment. You'll have people that could compete with them, can match their level, but are too intimidated to try.

But I can also say that I've been chased off another website I was a long-standing member of when I, as one of the highly skilled recurring winners of one competition, suddenly could not win anymore because the ownership of that competition decided to shift fully towards letting new people in. That kind of thing is a surefire way to breed resentment, and ultimately gets people to stop investing their time - except now it's the other end of the spectrum that's going to give up on the contest. And when I look back on that old competition - it's basically defunct now. The quality choked out - first because they were picking weaker entries on purpose, then because most of the old guard outright left because they were being discriminated against for their past success and it just wasn't worth trying anymore when effort was continually rebuked. By this point, it's completely fallen apart.

It wasn't an art competition. I can't draw for beans and I'll never have a stake in the monthly skin/accent contests. But I think the principle is the same. I was deeply hurt by it when it happened, even understanding the rationale. So some caution is merited in proceeding, and I think we need more of a middle ground than this.
I mean, it made sense for Tundras to get the extra skins this fest. They're the native dragon to Ice. The excess of Coatls is weird, though.

And... I'm not knocking any artist in particular, there's only one entry where I genuinely wonder why it was picked, but it looks like they were using 'this is my first submission' as a major criteria in the selections. Like, eyeballing it, it's about half and half, and that's... high. There's definitely a problem in competitions where the same highly experienced individuals constantly take the wins and there's no room for anyone else to get ground. That's when a competition stops being a competition and starts being a members' club. The sheer discouragement factor scares off would-be entrants. They'll try once or twice, then give up because they feel they can't compete, and eventually you're left with only the most talented/experienced/time-investing of the bunch, to all other artists' detriment. You'll have people that could compete with them, can match their level, but are too intimidated to try.

But I can also say that I've been chased off another website I was a long-standing member of when I, as one of the highly skilled recurring winners of one competition, suddenly could not win anymore because the ownership of that competition decided to shift fully towards letting new people in. That kind of thing is a surefire way to breed resentment, and ultimately gets people to stop investing their time - except now it's the other end of the spectrum that's going to give up on the contest. And when I look back on that old competition - it's basically defunct now. The quality choked out - first because they were picking weaker entries on purpose, then because most of the old guard outright left because they were being discriminated against for their past success and it just wasn't worth trying anymore when effort was continually rebuked. By this point, it's completely fallen apart.

It wasn't an art competition. I can't draw for beans and I'll never have a stake in the monthly skin/accent contests. But I think the principle is the same. I was deeply hurt by it when it happened, even understanding the rationale. So some caution is merited in proceeding, and I think we need more of a middle ground than this.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
Oh, happy Crystalline Gala everyone! We in the Wind Flight wish everyone luck this Winter, and hope the Icewarden bestows your clans with great gifts!
Oh, happy Crystalline Gala everyone! We in the Wind Flight wish everyone luck this Winter, and hope the Icewarden bestows your clans with great gifts!
hh5n4WA.png
6YousWl.png
Bb9XFYa.png
VHmdVcB.png

4IXLYjh.png
Jade
They | them
Adult

Time is of the Essence.
To those who wait.
spkTrXj.png NTHsPtx.png
oH dAmN the glitterfreeze halo looks reelli good ! btw happy crystalline gala everyone XDXD
oH dAmN the glitterfreeze halo looks reelli good ! btw happy crystalline gala everyone XDXD
Yay! My first Crystalline Gala!
Yay! My first Crystalline Gala!
KMv71f5.png cHa0MYt.png
qCVFNJp.png
oaolHwW.png
SKINSHOP

Happy gala!
Happy gala!
Happy Crystalline Gala everyone!
Happy Crystalline Gala everyone!
25781.png shadow_small.png 25780.png
Wow
Wow
@Laluzi you forgot to add that more and more times we see skins that break the lineart and shadows visibility rule which is even more frustrating if you trying to compete.

I want to cogratulate the people whose skins were picked. you did great and keep going. But i will be lying if I said that i like this year choice. In some cases it feels like we are getting similar skins every year (almost every year female tundra with snowy accent is picked) and I'm wondering why this is the case.
@Laluzi you forgot to add that more and more times we see skins that break the lineart and shadows visibility rule which is even more frustrating if you trying to compete.

I want to cogratulate the people whose skins were picked. you did great and keep going. But i will be lying if I said that i like this year choice. In some cases it feels like we are getting similar skins every year (almost every year female tundra with snowy accent is picked) and I'm wondering why this is the case.
Wery good skins. Happy holiday!
Wery good skins. Happy holiday!
d8uud0s-7f410d4a-a644-4161-8b07-eec9108f1ab4.png
Hmmm....Were have I seen this dude before?Oh!Right!In Sherk that one time donkey became a horse :))) ! [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/29064.png[/img] [img]https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2015322/rs_1024x759-150422132100-1024-shrek-famous-horses.jw.42215.jpg
Hmmm....Were have I seen this dude before?Oh!Right!In Sherk that one time donkey became a horse :))) !

29064.png

rs_1024x759-150422132100-1024-shrek-famous-horses.jw.42215.jpg
17.png37.png90.png

Wavecrest Saturnalia

y6tbxWr.pngIRzboi3.pngNC2ceIo.pngSDTXnpH.png
ze8wEB3.png

Code:
ze8wEB3.png

Mistral Jamboree

FdXgviZ.pngAeYnAM6.pngIRkrlkr.pngRCD2mOL.png
QBZFjBr.png

Code:
QBZFjBr.png

Trickmurk Circus

qqLBHcq.pngMdpDO8d.pngit6GpCF.png3e94Gpa.png
tzdYBHr.png

Code:
tzdYBHr.png

Crystalline Gala

nx63yDs.pngTpQIr0g.png3do1AjF.pngOTXJQ9a.png
fBZO2yk.png

Code:
fBZO2yk.png

Rockbreaker's Ceremony

XfOE65H.pngnLWLaef.pngTf27638.png4FDQFf5.png
22kVsPK.png

Code:
22kVsPK.png

Riot of Rot

APe9ksa.pngCPXPWom.pnghwpOz43.pngE27J5Sp.png
DVcXRyP.png

Code:
DVcXRyP.png

Starfall Celebration

by8xXGb.pnggKPKkO8.pngjr6wBiA.png4oO1RBo.png
TjcrwIq.png

Code:
TjcrwIq.png

Flameforger's Festival

RZwWAC0.pngK5ou5OR.pngwIsYlqw.png78U0Gge.png
fdN4PVq.png

Code:
fdN4PVq.png

Thundercrack Carnivale

4B2NHT5.png39TxZGF.pngm7MUqYd.pngYsjbxG8.png
DQLlbOg.png

Code:
DQLlbOg.png

Brightshine Jubilee

3Z9d4pU.pngLasirx9.pngAhWKxlz.pngA28Svy9.png
Az39OYD.png

Code:
Az39OYD.png

All the Festivals

You heard right. This image rotater randomly displays one of the exisiting signatures.
You'll see something new everytime you refresh. I'll try to keep this link up to date with new sets.

Lichtdrache.gif

Code:
Lichtdrache.gif

Others

0Eukkgx.pngcxbFZBI.pngD4jazTx.pngt2lHNjZ.pngZ1OhMta.pngHDlVg7g.png2HZAytX.pngJc6ZU5D.pngqAOaXBj.pngGek4MgE.pngeGd50yb.pngEmDXb3p.pngKptxMMR.pngM5Uxne4.pngIHku0SS.pngC373QQQ.pngiXiHpnr.pngsaTxNdL.pngQtezsCP.png

Commissions & Requests

Commissions - CLOSED
Since some of you asked for it: I'll draw a single familiar/creature/Pokémon/etc.
Please keep in mind that the festival familiars will most likely arrive for their festivals. Let me know whether you want your commissioned adoptable to be free to use for everyone or not.

Requests - CLOSED
You can always make free suggestions if you want me to draw specific familiars for everyone to use. If there's enough interest and i have some spare time, i might add them as well!

Special Thanks

You can thank these amazing people for sponsoring adoptables or donating money. Thanks to them I can do what I love!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Frenkle
thatjubi
Marceline
NanamiChiaki
Kurayami
ViewtifulJen
Kattata
adorableAxolotl
CatkinStarchild
Texere
oooooooooooo Shakshun
SilverLanayru
ErwilMinsa
Druddigon8
Yara
Lyra531
EclipseStar
ClearLakes44
Reckless
OtterQueen

Pinglist

-0rangedragon -Kaitorubel -Nulume -Juri01 -Chiliphantump122 -Dreamcoyote -PoisonedTea -TheEmptyCity -SimFeetUnder -CrystalBones -Zenium -Reckless -RedlaSunShowers -AeonsMusings -Celine -genmoi -ScarletWolfsong -snickers629 -Anarthyan -Atzien -miirshroom -pooses -Gibby -Maegelcarwen -Kapara -rooty -Stormdragon -Vanitas -ClearLakes44 -Kissie -Nympharia -Luca20 -Yara -OpalDreams -nemodave -CatsAndMaths -Kiryn -Kpribbit -Perrydotto -BobEvans -Splatoon -Aiden -Maddiebird -rantothedevil -bcrush -kriski -Dest -BianchaJo -Autopsy -CircusCuties -Wolvenrose -SoulLugia11 -Crisp -Tigenki -FoolishRay -icecreamdude26 -Gardenie -ShiroiYoukai -Fellefan -ThornOfStorm130 -WeyrLeader -lovesnivy -PhoebeBird -KCDragons -Marceline -Cyrsei -Poppystar -Hyperbole -Xotis -ToothyApocalypse -absolmon -NicoleEirin -heartcrusher1 -WickedHorror -SilverLanayru -OpalSplash514 -StellarWing -Maximum4 -Syncogon -Dreamcoyote -Mriikel -GhostFromTheMoon -GrumpyCatlover -LucarioLand -Parda -Vistron -SoullessRogue -Ethras -Valthan -Tacodoodle -WolfSong -Decarnard -IcyNinetales -Zephyr23 -Minimum -Meda -lackingsanity -Suttungr -Sevenink -xXDarkeXx -Yanisha -Effervessa -Kibble -Yolindanne -Doggo -IamPainIamGod -ClawOfLife -koolkabe -jazzyjaz -Minxwolfie -TheTigersDen -Niya -Trippfaerie -somnomania -Airys -TheMathematician -MawkishMuse -ElecSquirrel10 -Alcina -AlexBleurose -Pasteluma -vulstal -joy1joy1 -MLSmith995 -Ookamiotoko -Animequeen -PositiveDragon -VodkaGhosts -sarcastickitten -freshpeachez -Anacapri -timetot -KyaruTheWriter -Evolution2 -Aquastargirl123 -kipinae -bellzan -sunsetfire -NanamiChiaki -Kattata -Broderick -DiamondNoodles -Arrakis -Exaltier -LittleRogue -Quinnigan -ShouLyon -Nydra -Vulqostrun -raiikyuu -Aquacoral -LilCipherz -Harbinger -NerdyBirdieLove -Pieeee -Thestoneofdoom -Lundlaeva -Lolschen -Cryptozoolo -kriskrossness -Starrlight -SimplePianist -rene92 -zzzhorses -CosmicSummer -Carnimirie -TalonOcharria -Myrrien -Forestglade -Icefire55 -Starmax -LeMuffinMaster -RoseyVaporeon -MissFortune17 -Ririterasu -Elysianibata -Beezadrella -Ellapinky -Rosie -Ellapinky -Jetfeather -Onikuma -WillowtheWisp -Geist

Last edited on Jun 21, 2017 11:17:05 by Lichtdrache
uk9aQ3a.pngxm3SUTd.pngqyXz5ux.png
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 54 55