Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Item that allows same-sex breedings
1 2
An item, probably priced similarly to permabab scrolls, scatters, and the like, that allows a one-time breeding of two dragons of the same gender.
In theory it could be a magical egg that can produce a single hatchling with any two (nonrelated) dragons as the parents?

Alternatively: a scroll that can change the sex of a dragon (and you could just buy two of them to have a same-sex pair have a child, and it'd just be more work)

With all of the scrolls and magic that dragons have access to, it seems like this would be something that could be accomplished.
An item, probably priced similarly to permabab scrolls, scatters, and the like, that allows a one-time breeding of two dragons of the same gender.
In theory it could be a magical egg that can produce a single hatchling with any two (nonrelated) dragons as the parents?

Alternatively: a scroll that can change the sex of a dragon (and you could just buy two of them to have a same-sex pair have a child, and it'd just be more work)

With all of the scrolls and magic that dragons have access to, it seems like this would be something that could be accomplished.
XfOE65H.png ZTPHjAD.png
Lshkoju.png
CdBXQ2t.png
kCHWEjf.png
sNuSVZA.png
JvUa9ma.png
9C7f72c.png
The problem is coding, theyd probably need to rewrite the whole breeding code to get something like that to work without breaking the entire system.
The problem is coding, theyd probably need to rewrite the whole breeding code to get something like that to work without breaking the entire system.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
This is not possible without completely recoding the breeding and lineage system. Also its not THAT hard to get the other sex in the colors you need to breed what you are looking for.
This is not possible without completely recoding the breeding and lineage system. Also its not THAT hard to get the other sex in the colors you need to breed what you are looking for.
I do not think same sex breeding should be something added to the game for a few reasons:

This would probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when they are the same sex since there is not a male and a female parent to display first and second.

This would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since it would essentially double the possible breeding pool for an individual since during the event they could breed with males or females rather than just the opposite sex.

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change) rather than either sex change scrolls or same sex breeding.
I do not think same sex breeding should be something added to the game for a few reasons:

This would probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when they are the same sex since there is not a male and a female parent to display first and second.

This would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since it would essentially double the possible breeding pool for an individual since during the event they could breed with males or females rather than just the opposite sex.

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change) rather than either sex change scrolls or same sex breeding.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
[quote name="DragonSage" date="2018-10-21 12:53:46" ] I do not think same sex breeding should be something added to the game for a few reasons: This would probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when they are the same sex since there is not a male and a female parent to display first and second. This would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since it would essentially double the possible breeding pool for an individual since during the event they could breed with males or females rather than just the opposite sex. I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change) rather than either sex change scrolls or same sex breeding. [/quote] DragonSage put together all of my thoughts on this, really. No support.
DragonSage wrote on 2018-10-21 12:53:46:

DragonSage put together all of my thoughts on this, really. No support.
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
[quote name="SeaCrest" date="2018-10-21 13:03:17" ] [quote name="DragonSage" date="2018-10-21 12:53:46" ] I do not think same sex breeding should be something added to the game for a few reasons: This would probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when they are the same sex since there is not a male and a female parent to display first and second. This would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since it would essentially double the possible breeding pool for an individual since during the event they could breed with males or females rather than just the opposite sex. I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change) rather than either sex change scrolls or same sex breeding. [/quote] DragonSage put together all of my thoughts on this, really. No support. [/quote] Pretty much this. This is another thing that I feel should have been in the site from the beginning. As it stands, I believe the admins at one time DID say it would break the coding of the site and they would have to recode at the very least the breeding system and lineage systems to be able to pull two males or two females. To me, it isn't really worth it, when you can, usually, easily find nearly every color, or similar colors, in the right sex. (yes there are some colors/sex combos that are rarer than others, but then again, this is a breeding sim, so that is sort of the point of the game, to breed for the colors you want) Edit: Also, just as an aside, I really don't like the idea that magic = everything possible. Magic, just like everything else, needs rules, or it just gets overpowered and boring, at least to me. Beyond that, the breed change and gene change scrolls are necessary in that they are the only way (aside from eggs for breeds) to get the new breeds/genes into the game world. Progens are all 'hatched' triple basic, plentiful breeds, and nocturnes and bogsneaks are all triple basics. Without scrolls, we wouldn't have those other breeds and any gene other than basic in the game. The same can't be said of sex. We always have the chance to hatch a male or female. (yes they could have added the ability of breeding only breeds/genes, but that would be a very different site to what it is now)
SeaCrest wrote on 2018-10-21 13:03:17:
DragonSage wrote on 2018-10-21 12:53:46:

DragonSage put together all of my thoughts on this, really. No support.
Pretty much this.

This is another thing that I feel should have been in the site from the beginning.

As it stands, I believe the admins at one time DID say it would break the coding of the site and they would have to recode at the very least the breeding system and lineage systems to be able to pull two males or two females.

To me, it isn't really worth it, when you can, usually, easily find nearly every color, or similar colors, in the right sex. (yes there are some colors/sex combos that are rarer than others, but then again, this is a breeding sim, so that is sort of the point of the game, to breed for the colors you want)

Edit: Also, just as an aside, I really don't like the idea that magic = everything possible. Magic, just like everything else, needs rules, or it just gets overpowered and boring, at least to me.

Beyond that, the breed change and gene change scrolls are necessary in that they are the only way (aside from eggs for breeds) to get the new breeds/genes into the game world. Progens are all 'hatched' triple basic, plentiful breeds, and nocturnes and bogsneaks are all triple basics. Without scrolls, we wouldn't have those other breeds and any gene other than basic in the game. The same can't be said of sex. We always have the chance to hatch a male or female. (yes they could have added the ability of breeding only breeds/genes, but that would be a very different site to what it is now)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
no support because yeah, staff would have to re-code the enitre breeding system. Not worth it

However I would like kindly disagree it's not always easy to find a dragon with the right colors, or I just have terrible luck, who knows
no support because yeah, staff would have to re-code the enitre breeding system. Not worth it

However I would like kindly disagree it's not always easy to find a dragon with the right colors, or I just have terrible luck, who knows
DVcXRyP.png
I do not support this at all.

I WOULD support an item that would change a dragons sex, however I think it would need to cost significantly more than permababy scrolls and scatters... more in the range of Coatl breed scrolls.

I'd also only support such an item being used on dragons that had not previously been used to breed as to not create absolute chaos in dragon's lineage.

I WOULD support an item that would change a dragons sex, however I think it would need to cost significantly more than permababy scrolls and scatters... more in the range of Coatl breed scrolls.

I'd also only support such an item being used on dragons that had not previously been used to breed as to not create absolute chaos in dragon's lineage.
ZQGfAQY.png
Last I heard, they couldn’t do same-sex breeding because of the way the breeding grounds (male/father on left, female/mother on right) and lineages (male/father above, female/mother below) are set up. I think they tried something out and busted the code? So it had to be scrapped, unfortunately.

But if it ever did become possible without murdering the site’s coding, I’d definitely support a single-use item to allow two same-sex dragons to breed! The “magic egg” idea is cute, and since it would be a boon-type item (so likely Gem MP), it wouldn’t crash the dragon economy.

The vast, vast majority of nests don’t fetch anywhere near 350g-500g (or more), so this item would only really be useful for either 1) lore purposes or 2) people who are willing to pay extra for part of a specific breeding project.

I know that I can “just hatch an egg and say it’s adopted”; I’ve done that with a couple of my other dragons already. Still, I have a same-sex Imperial pair that I’ve always wanted to breed (they have a lovely range, and they’re a sentimental lore couple), and I’d gladly pay for them to be able to have a nest together, even if it was only a single egg or two.

(Plus “just adopt an unhatched egg” doesn’t show the same-sex couple as the parents in the hatchling’s lineage, nor does it factor in the parents’ colours- or breed, for Imperials. So IMO both a same-sex breeding item and the “adopt an unhatched egg” option can coexist.)

EDIT: As an aside, I also have a lot of trouble finding dragons with the right colours/sex/Flight— though that’s not the main reason why I support this suggestion. I mostly collect brown-range dragons, which aren’t very popular, and some of my breeding projects have taken many months. The only “easy to find” dragons are XXX, specific types of XXY, and greyscale/blue/purple-range ones, in my experience. :(
Last I heard, they couldn’t do same-sex breeding because of the way the breeding grounds (male/father on left, female/mother on right) and lineages (male/father above, female/mother below) are set up. I think they tried something out and busted the code? So it had to be scrapped, unfortunately.

But if it ever did become possible without murdering the site’s coding, I’d definitely support a single-use item to allow two same-sex dragons to breed! The “magic egg” idea is cute, and since it would be a boon-type item (so likely Gem MP), it wouldn’t crash the dragon economy.

The vast, vast majority of nests don’t fetch anywhere near 350g-500g (or more), so this item would only really be useful for either 1) lore purposes or 2) people who are willing to pay extra for part of a specific breeding project.

I know that I can “just hatch an egg and say it’s adopted”; I’ve done that with a couple of my other dragons already. Still, I have a same-sex Imperial pair that I’ve always wanted to breed (they have a lovely range, and they’re a sentimental lore couple), and I’d gladly pay for them to be able to have a nest together, even if it was only a single egg or two.

(Plus “just adopt an unhatched egg” doesn’t show the same-sex couple as the parents in the hatchling’s lineage, nor does it factor in the parents’ colours- or breed, for Imperials. So IMO both a same-sex breeding item and the “adopt an unhatched egg” option can coexist.)

EDIT: As an aside, I also have a lot of trouble finding dragons with the right colours/sex/Flight— though that’s not the main reason why I support this suggestion. I mostly collect brown-range dragons, which aren’t very popular, and some of my breeding projects have taken many months. The only “easy to find” dragons are XXX, specific types of XXY, and greyscale/blue/purple-range ones, in my experience. :(
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
[quote name="Jessyta" date="2018-10-22 10:12:09" ] I do not support this at all. I WOULD support an item that would change a dragons sex, however I think it would need to cost significantly more than permababy scrolls and scatters... more in the range of Coatl breed scrolls. I'd also only support such an item being used on dragons that had not previously been used to breed as to not create absolute chaos in dragon's lineage. [/quote] This is pretty much my opinion on this, too.
Jessyta wrote on 2018-10-22 10:12:09:

This is pretty much my opinion on this, too.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
1 2