Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gender Change Scrolls
1 2
When you find an elemental egg or manage to scavenge one during NotN, you can change the colours of that hatchling, add genes, mature the hatching to dragon, keep the hatchling one forever, AND buy a scroll get the breed you want, but you can't change the gender.

I KNOW I could go into the AH and buy a dragon that met the criteria/colourway I was looking for, but it wouldn't be first gen.

So, Gender Change. Can this be a thing?

When you find an elemental egg or manage to scavenge one during NotN, you can change the colours of that hatchling, add genes, mature the hatching to dragon, keep the hatchling one forever, AND buy a scroll get the breed you want, but you can't change the gender.

I KNOW I could go into the AH and buy a dragon that met the criteria/colourway I was looking for, but it wouldn't be first gen.

So, Gender Change. Can this be a thing?

It can be a thing if you write what gender you want your dragon to be in its bio.
It can be a thing if you write what gender you want your dragon to be in its bio.
@chespin Writing the dragon's preferred gender in their bio doesn't make it possible for that dragon to actually look like the other gender's art, nor does it allow them to wear accents made for the other gender. I'm not really sure why everyone seems so opposed to a gender change scroll? (apologies if i sound rude, it's unintentional i just legitimately don't understand)

@valkryor I would support, on the basis of my explanation above.
@chespin Writing the dragon's preferred gender in their bio doesn't make it possible for that dragon to actually look like the other gender's art, nor does it allow them to wear accents made for the other gender. I'm not really sure why everyone seems so opposed to a gender change scroll? (apologies if i sound rude, it's unintentional i just legitimately don't understand)

@valkryor I would support, on the basis of my explanation above.
PSojku2.gifG9XvqXb.gifbWUZhOx.gif4IOVVSW.gifSGoOc5w.gif
This is a rather divided topic within the suggestion forum. I personally do not want to see a sex change scroll that would allow you to change the sex and then be able to breed according to the newly assigned sex (IE You have two males, you change one of them to a female and then you would be able to breed the male to the female). I'd rather not see this for a couple of reasons:

First of all, it could probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when one of them has been sex changed so they are now the same sex since there is no longer a male and a female parent to display first and second.

The second reason I don't like this is because it would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since sex is the only thing you can't change and something should remain static. You can change color by using a scatter scroll and you can ensure the hatchlings are of a particular element by breeding it in the appropriate nest.

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change).
This is a rather divided topic within the suggestion forum. I personally do not want to see a sex change scroll that would allow you to change the sex and then be able to breed according to the newly assigned sex (IE You have two males, you change one of them to a female and then you would be able to breed the male to the female). I'd rather not see this for a couple of reasons:

First of all, it could probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when one of them has been sex changed so they are now the same sex since there is no longer a male and a female parent to display first and second.

The second reason I don't like this is because it would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since sex is the only thing you can't change and something should remain static. You can change color by using a scatter scroll and you can ensure the hatchlings are of a particular element by breeding it in the appropriate nest.

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change).
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
This topic right here is one of the oldest topics in FR. Like Dragonsage said, the community is divided.

As for me: absolutely no support. My main reason is that this would be a game-breaking feature. We can change almost everything about our dragons. Our only limits include elements and sexes. @Noivurn That's a huge reason why people, including the admins who said more than once that they will never make an item like this, oppose this idea.

That's it. This is a breeding game about creating your perfect dragons, but a scroll like this would make this game a whole lot easier, like, almost stupidly easy.
I know some people don't want to use a scroll like this for breeding reasons, but if this scroll existed then it would be abused for exactly that reason.

If you want your dragon to be the opposite sex for cosmetic reasons, we have dragon bio boxes there. Use them peeps.
This topic right here is one of the oldest topics in FR. Like Dragonsage said, the community is divided.

As for me: absolutely no support. My main reason is that this would be a game-breaking feature. We can change almost everything about our dragons. Our only limits include elements and sexes. @Noivurn That's a huge reason why people, including the admins who said more than once that they will never make an item like this, oppose this idea.

That's it. This is a breeding game about creating your perfect dragons, but a scroll like this would make this game a whole lot easier, like, almost stupidly easy.
I know some people don't want to use a scroll like this for breeding reasons, but if this scroll existed then it would be abused for exactly that reason.

If you want your dragon to be the opposite sex for cosmetic reasons, we have dragon bio boxes there. Use them peeps.
kpBHZdf.gif lIfS9Um.png DQCsQbQ.gif
@DragonSage If it's a coding issue, then it's a coding issue and that's fine. I don't want to make more work for the devs than is strictly necessary to keep the game running smoothly. But if it's not? Then it might be worth considering. I also think a cosmetic change rather defeats the purpose of changing the gender. If I want a male dragon to be female, I want that change for breeding purposes, not so I can use this particular accent that I've squirreled away.

@Noivurn Thanks. I do appreciate the support. :)

Addendum to the original idea: would it make it easier for the devs/other players if gender change could only be applied if that particular dragon had not mated with any other? That way there are no lineages to deal with.
@DragonSage If it's a coding issue, then it's a coding issue and that's fine. I don't want to make more work for the devs than is strictly necessary to keep the game running smoothly. But if it's not? Then it might be worth considering. I also think a cosmetic change rather defeats the purpose of changing the gender. If I want a male dragon to be female, I want that change for breeding purposes, not so I can use this particular accent that I've squirreled away.

@Noivurn Thanks. I do appreciate the support. :)

Addendum to the original idea: would it make it easier for the devs/other players if gender change could only be applied if that particular dragon had not mated with any other? That way there are no lineages to deal with.
@valkryor

If by Gender you are meaning to change a female into a male or a male into a female here is what the Administration said about this.
Quote:
Quote:
Are we ever going to get sex change scrolls?

We have no plans to release an item like this.

Source: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/141
@valkryor

If by Gender you are meaning to change a female into a male or a male into a female here is what the Administration said about this.
Quote:
Quote:
Are we ever going to get sex change scrolls?

We have no plans to release an item like this.

Source: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/141
@Qnyxz

Thanks for the information.
@Qnyxz

Thanks for the information.
[quote name="DragonSage" date=2016-01-16 15:07:06] I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change). [/quote] I support THIS. This keeps the challenge of the game in hand, as aforementioned, but allows dragon appearance to change (for those who may have genderfluid / transgender / nonbinary(?) dragons). I would put this into use, actually, on a few of my dragons.
DragonSage wrote on 2016-01-16:

I support THIS. This keeps the challenge of the game in hand, as aforementioned, but allows dragon appearance to change (for those who may have genderfluid / transgender / nonbinary(?) dragons). I would put this into use, actually, on a few of my dragons.
[quote name="DragonSage" date=2016-01-16 15:07:06] I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change). [/quote] I support this part in part as well I mean, is it really so hard to make a dragon infertile? Generally when humans go through a sex change (to match their preferred gender) they are rendered infertile by the hormones/surgery. You actually have to stop taking hormones and not have most of the surgeries in order to have children, so it would make sense that the magic required to change a dragon's sex would also render them infertile, unless they choose to go back to their birth sex to have a child.
DragonSage wrote on 2016-01-16:

I support this part in part as well

I mean, is it really so hard to make a dragon infertile?

Generally when humans go through a sex change (to match their preferred gender) they are rendered infertile by the hormones/surgery.

You actually have to stop taking hormones and not have most of the surgeries in order to have children, so it would make sense that the magic required to change a dragon's sex would also render them infertile, unless they choose to go back to their birth sex to have a child.
If responding to me please PING me!

I probably won't see it otherwise. :3
1 2