Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Clans Meeting as Hatchlings
1 2
Hello, this is the story of how me and Stanzascale became friends with eachother.
However, if you are bored, need some clan back story, want to write about hatchlings and want to become chums with the hatchling-versions of our clans then feel free to join!
At the end of post, ping! the rest of the people by putting @ followed by their name to alert them.
So, here begins the story:

It was late in the cold February afternoon. Frost clung to the trees as darkness fell over the Tangled Wood. But despite the chill and the lateness of the hour the forest was alive with celebrating dragons. The Trickmurk Circus had arrived, and shadow dragons were whipping out game boards and card decks left right and center, or stopping to watch the many entertaining performers that littered the clearings in the woods.
Dragon fire-eaters are not as impressive as human ones.
A group of stately Faes flitted through the wood to arrive at the festival, which was lit by the glowing blue mushrooms and by braziers full of mind-numbing dark fire, which illuminated the shadows with darkness, so everything was easy to see, but no less dark. This confused many of the tourists.
The leader of the swarm of Faes was a large male who scanned the crowd thoughtfully. Behind him were two hatchlings: a mass of blue-and-white frills and a squat muddy green spiky creature who seemed to be silently sneezing. The blue one was Laguz, a young Fae, and the green one was his adopted sister, a Guardian by the name of Hexdagaz.

EDIT: it turned from a frosty night to a snowy night. Better bring scarfs.
@Stanzascale
Hello, this is the story of how me and Stanzascale became friends with eachother.
However, if you are bored, need some clan back story, want to write about hatchlings and want to become chums with the hatchling-versions of our clans then feel free to join!
At the end of post, ping! the rest of the people by putting @ followed by their name to alert them.
So, here begins the story:

It was late in the cold February afternoon. Frost clung to the trees as darkness fell over the Tangled Wood. But despite the chill and the lateness of the hour the forest was alive with celebrating dragons. The Trickmurk Circus had arrived, and shadow dragons were whipping out game boards and card decks left right and center, or stopping to watch the many entertaining performers that littered the clearings in the woods.
Dragon fire-eaters are not as impressive as human ones.
A group of stately Faes flitted through the wood to arrive at the festival, which was lit by the glowing blue mushrooms and by braziers full of mind-numbing dark fire, which illuminated the shadows with darkness, so everything was easy to see, but no less dark. This confused many of the tourists.
The leader of the swarm of Faes was a large male who scanned the crowd thoughtfully. Behind him were two hatchlings: a mass of blue-and-white frills and a squat muddy green spiky creature who seemed to be silently sneezing. The blue one was Laguz, a young Fae, and the green one was his adopted sister, a Guardian by the name of Hexdagaz.

EDIT: it turned from a frosty night to a snowy night. Better bring scarfs.
@Stanzascale
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
rDDk8Bm.png Bw4cyXn.pngjU7eG38.png 8lxCsmk.png
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
UEbwahm.pngKCykZYQ.pngUiowYIX.png
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
A family of four Light Mirrors made their way through the trees.
"Quite the time they had to pick to meet for this important business."
The parents lead, with the lemon-scaled father of jade wings on the right, who spoke to his lavender-scaled mate beside him. She shook a few snowflakes from her thistle wings, "you should really relax more, dear. Isn't it nice for Dawlay and Melreyna to get experience of new places?"

At the mention of their names their two young daughters following turned their attention to their parents. Melreyna of sky-blue wings turned her gaze away from the mushrooms and snow covered trees, while Dawlay, who had inherited the hues of her father, had been watching her prints as she walked backwards through the snow, and turned her attention with a slow reluctance.

"I heard that we're supposed to get fresh air everyday. Not just sit in the lair all the time." The latter commented, her sister nodded.
"It doesn't get much fresher than a new place."
"Exactly."

"There you are Lumclance, we have been waiting." A dozen Shadow Fae were perched on a few trees in a centaurshoe down a trail to the right, with their collective gaze focussed on the father amid the group.
He inclined his head before stepping forth, "Amarye, it is good to hear from you. So what is this 'serious business' you spoke of?"

Back with their mother, Melreyna tilted her head inquisitively and whispered to her sister, "why are they grinning?"
"What?"
"They've all got their frills lifted at the upper tip."
"So?"
"A couple of times, I've seen two Fae do that when they shared a good joke."
"Oh." Dawlay looked over at their father going to meet the group and smiled, "maybe dad doesn't know the joke yet."

The lead-Fae bobbed his frills, in a little nod, before he raised his voice to the others, "now!"
In a drove, the little dragons came off their perches and sought spots to cling to on the Mirror. He squawked in surprise and tried to raise a foreleg to try get them off, only to find a few latch onto that leg, causing him to loose his balance.

It was clear that no harm was being done and Dawlay crowed in amusement, "they know the secret of his ticklishness!"
"Well...this is new..." Melreyna chirruped on the verge of chuckling.
Their mother simply smiled, it being perfectly clear that her mate was in no need of assistance.

After a period of the Mirror struggling as the Fae scurried over him, they settled, and Amarye landed on a clear space on the Light dragon's head.
"You and your family are all welcome to the Trickmurk Circus."
"So this was-"
"Now." Amarye gave his frills a couple of shakes, and the other Fae fluttered off the Mirror, before he took to the wing, started towards the area past the trees they were perched on and continued speaking. "Come and make yourself comfortable. Have a game of chess, I insist."

"You think dad will go to more parties now?" Dawlay asked her sister, who blinked silently in response.

The Light Mirror had been about to object when his mate walked over to him, "it is a festival, so let's enjoy the time we have."
"Wenclair!" The Fae turned to her, "it is lovely to see you again. I hope all is well? We can always set up a game of draughts at the same time if you would like to play."
She inclined her head to Amarye, "it would be a delight." The Mirror looked back at her two hatchlings, who already showed signs of interest in wandering off to explore.
"Oh, it'll be perfectly alright. We can always send some of our number looking when you want to leave, and it would be...difficult for them to wander beyond the borders of our celebration here. So not to worry."

"You hear that my darlings? Go have fun. Happy Trickmurk!" With the last few words, Wenclair and her mate headed off with the Fae.

Not many moments passed before Dawlay started romping about, kicking up snow and burying her head in a few deeper mounds.
Melreyna kept still for a little longer, before blinking and raising her head to look at the sky, before casting it down onto a large mushroom, in the opposite direction to where their parents had gone. She stepped over and tilted her head while observing it. Then the purple hatchling stepped under it, and looked up at the underside of the cap.

Movement caught Dawlay's eye and she turned to look with an inquisitive chirrup.

((Heh yeah, the idea of Fae's giving a noogie came up in conversation once, so I thought it'd be funny to try. Otherwise I'm just setting things up for these two girls to be left to do whatever.
For anyone that's interested, I think this is set after The Crossing of Paths, which I may need to edit a bit anyway.
@Northwyrm))
A family of four Light Mirrors made their way through the trees.
"Quite the time they had to pick to meet for this important business."
The parents lead, with the lemon-scaled father of jade wings on the right, who spoke to his lavender-scaled mate beside him. She shook a few snowflakes from her thistle wings, "you should really relax more, dear. Isn't it nice for Dawlay and Melreyna to get experience of new places?"

At the mention of their names their two young daughters following turned their attention to their parents. Melreyna of sky-blue wings turned her gaze away from the mushrooms and snow covered trees, while Dawlay, who had inherited the hues of her father, had been watching her prints as she walked backwards through the snow, and turned her attention with a slow reluctance.

"I heard that we're supposed to get fresh air everyday. Not just sit in the lair all the time." The latter commented, her sister nodded.
"It doesn't get much fresher than a new place."
"Exactly."

"There you are Lumclance, we have been waiting." A dozen Shadow Fae were perched on a few trees in a centaurshoe down a trail to the right, with their collective gaze focussed on the father amid the group.
He inclined his head before stepping forth, "Amarye, it is good to hear from you. So what is this 'serious business' you spoke of?"

Back with their mother, Melreyna tilted her head inquisitively and whispered to her sister, "why are they grinning?"
"What?"
"They've all got their frills lifted at the upper tip."
"So?"
"A couple of times, I've seen two Fae do that when they shared a good joke."
"Oh." Dawlay looked over at their father going to meet the group and smiled, "maybe dad doesn't know the joke yet."

The lead-Fae bobbed his frills, in a little nod, before he raised his voice to the others, "now!"
In a drove, the little dragons came off their perches and sought spots to cling to on the Mirror. He squawked in surprise and tried to raise a foreleg to try get them off, only to find a few latch onto that leg, causing him to loose his balance.

It was clear that no harm was being done and Dawlay crowed in amusement, "they know the secret of his ticklishness!"
"Well...this is new..." Melreyna chirruped on the verge of chuckling.
Their mother simply smiled, it being perfectly clear that her mate was in no need of assistance.

After a period of the Mirror struggling as the Fae scurried over him, they settled, and Amarye landed on a clear space on the Light dragon's head.
"You and your family are all welcome to the Trickmurk Circus."
"So this was-"
"Now." Amarye gave his frills a couple of shakes, and the other Fae fluttered off the Mirror, before he took to the wing, started towards the area past the trees they were perched on and continued speaking. "Come and make yourself comfortable. Have a game of chess, I insist."

"You think dad will go to more parties now?" Dawlay asked her sister, who blinked silently in response.

The Light Mirror had been about to object when his mate walked over to him, "it is a festival, so let's enjoy the time we have."
"Wenclair!" The Fae turned to her, "it is lovely to see you again. I hope all is well? We can always set up a game of draughts at the same time if you would like to play."
She inclined her head to Amarye, "it would be a delight." The Mirror looked back at her two hatchlings, who already showed signs of interest in wandering off to explore.
"Oh, it'll be perfectly alright. We can always send some of our number looking when you want to leave, and it would be...difficult for them to wander beyond the borders of our celebration here. So not to worry."

"You hear that my darlings? Go have fun. Happy Trickmurk!" With the last few words, Wenclair and her mate headed off with the Fae.

Not many moments passed before Dawlay started romping about, kicking up snow and burying her head in a few deeper mounds.
Melreyna kept still for a little longer, before blinking and raising her head to look at the sky, before casting it down onto a large mushroom, in the opposite direction to where their parents had gone. She stepped over and tilted her head while observing it. Then the purple hatchling stepped under it, and looked up at the underside of the cap.

Movement caught Dawlay's eye and she turned to look with an inquisitive chirrup.

((Heh yeah, the idea of Fae's giving a noogie came up in conversation once, so I thought it'd be funny to try. Otherwise I'm just setting things up for these two girls to be left to do whatever.
For anyone that's interested, I think this is set after The Crossing of Paths, which I may need to edit a bit anyway.
@Northwyrm))
thvaFIy.gif merrilyn_stanzascale_100_by_dragonnmr-daepisq.gif Al57MeZ.pngpczVZcg.png5VYqqm9.pngPGOToAl.png CNCiTkT.png 2uXjxgw.png
The movement was the odd silent sneeze of the green Guardian, Hexdagaz. She was still trying to work out how smokerings work. Her head was soon wreathed in smoke and she was trying very hard not to splutter and cough. She had not noticed the other two hatchlings, unlike her silent and still friend who watched from the shadows.
Finally the smoke became too much and she spluttered, coughed, wheezed, and with a cry of "I NEED EYE PROTECTION FOR THIS SORT OF THING!" she fell over and collapsed into the snow. Laguz gave a tck! to show that he thought this kind of bafoonary was typical of his friend. He then turned his dark eyes to regard the hatchling admiring the bioluminescent fungus and the one playing in the snow.
@Stanzascale
The movement was the odd silent sneeze of the green Guardian, Hexdagaz. She was still trying to work out how smokerings work. Her head was soon wreathed in smoke and she was trying very hard not to splutter and cough. She had not noticed the other two hatchlings, unlike her silent and still friend who watched from the shadows.
Finally the smoke became too much and she spluttered, coughed, wheezed, and with a cry of "I NEED EYE PROTECTION FOR THIS SORT OF THING!" she fell over and collapsed into the snow. Laguz gave a tck! to show that he thought this kind of bafoonary was typical of his friend. He then turned his dark eyes to regard the hatchling admiring the bioluminescent fungus and the one playing in the snow.
@Stanzascale
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
Dawlay wasn't sure what to make of the young Guardian spouting smoke, but when the stranger fell over, she giggled and bounded over, skidding to a halt nearby, spraying snow in the process. "Hiya!"

Her sister turned her attention away from the mushroom cap's underside and poked her head out from beneath it at all the clamour.
Melreyna saw her sister waving her tail gleefully near a larger green dragonet. She took a moment to focus her thermal gaze, and spotted the eyes of another upon the place. The purple youth took a few steps so that only the end of her tail remained under the fungus, "hello?" She called out to the quieter one. Melreyna noticed the green hatchling coughing amid wisps of shadow-smoke. "I'm guessing that that doesn't happen very often to most."

@Northwyrm
Dawlay wasn't sure what to make of the young Guardian spouting smoke, but when the stranger fell over, she giggled and bounded over, skidding to a halt nearby, spraying snow in the process. "Hiya!"

Her sister turned her attention away from the mushroom cap's underside and poked her head out from beneath it at all the clamour.
Melreyna saw her sister waving her tail gleefully near a larger green dragonet. She took a moment to focus her thermal gaze, and spotted the eyes of another upon the place. The purple youth took a few steps so that only the end of her tail remained under the fungus, "hello?" She called out to the quieter one. Melreyna noticed the green hatchling coughing amid wisps of shadow-smoke. "I'm guessing that that doesn't happen very often to most."

@Northwyrm
thvaFIy.gif merrilyn_stanzascale_100_by_dragonnmr-daepisq.gif Al57MeZ.pngpczVZcg.png5VYqqm9.pngPGOToAl.png CNCiTkT.png 2uXjxgw.png
Still coughing, Hexdagaz attempted to stand, and then collapsed again. Flailing her wings she beat the smoke away. When she finally got to her paws she gave a weak smile and said "Hello!" and then called to the other dragon talking to Laguz: "HELLO!" and grinned foolishly.
Laguz looked at the purple Mirror. "Nope, just her. She's attempting to blow smokerings for some reason. I'm not too sure why she finds it difficult." He blew three pairs of rings in quick succession. The green dragon squeaked in surprise, before turning back to Dawlay. "I like your eyes. There are so many of them!" She giggled. And then sneezed some fire. "'scuze me. What's your name?"
Still coughing, Hexdagaz attempted to stand, and then collapsed again. Flailing her wings she beat the smoke away. When she finally got to her paws she gave a weak smile and said "Hello!" and then called to the other dragon talking to Laguz: "HELLO!" and grinned foolishly.
Laguz looked at the purple Mirror. "Nope, just her. She's attempting to blow smokerings for some reason. I'm not too sure why she finds it difficult." He blew three pairs of rings in quick succession. The green dragon squeaked in surprise, before turning back to Dawlay. "I like your eyes. There are so many of them!" She giggled. And then sneezed some fire. "'scuze me. What's your name?"
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
Melreyna wasn't sure of what to make of the noisy Guardian, so she opened her wings slightly in greeting. The purple hatchling smiled and ducked to look up at the rings, "I've not seen a trick like that before; I guess it shows that I don't come here often."

Dawlay squeaked happily, "thanks! I'm Dawlay! That over there's my sister: Melreyna." She answered the Guardian, throwing in an introduction to her sister.

@Northwyrm
Melreyna wasn't sure of what to make of the noisy Guardian, so she opened her wings slightly in greeting. The purple hatchling smiled and ducked to look up at the rings, "I've not seen a trick like that before; I guess it shows that I don't come here often."

Dawlay squeaked happily, "thanks! I'm Dawlay! That over there's my sister: Melreyna." She answered the Guardian, throwing in an introduction to her sister.

@Northwyrm
"I'm Hexdagaz and he's Laguz," Said the Guardian, grinning. It seemed like a friendly and simpleminded grin, but the dragon had just had a thought about a game they could all play...
Laguz caught the grin in the corner of his eye and lifted one of his frills questioningly while he continued to converse with Melreyna. "You are in the land of the gamers my friend. Even blowing smoke can be turned into a sport and a game. Throwing sticks too. And making mud pies. I don't think in the land of learning and truth you have much reason to make smoke rings." He tried his best at a friendly smile, but he was wondering what Hex was up to as she chatted with Dawlay:

"Do you ever have to find a charge? I mean, I know that Fae's don't, but is it the same with Mirrors? Why are you called Mirrors? Is it because your face is kinda sideways and reflected and wow so many golden eyes!? How long have you been in the Tangled Wood? Which clan are you from? Can you answer all these questions while flying backwards counter clockwise? I've got a dead duskrat for you if you can! No wait, that kind of game's a little unfair... I doubt I could do that... Ummmm... How are you finding the Tangled Wood?"

@Stanzascale
"I'm Hexdagaz and he's Laguz," Said the Guardian, grinning. It seemed like a friendly and simpleminded grin, but the dragon had just had a thought about a game they could all play...
Laguz caught the grin in the corner of his eye and lifted one of his frills questioningly while he continued to converse with Melreyna. "You are in the land of the gamers my friend. Even blowing smoke can be turned into a sport and a game. Throwing sticks too. And making mud pies. I don't think in the land of learning and truth you have much reason to make smoke rings." He tried his best at a friendly smile, but he was wondering what Hex was up to as she chatted with Dawlay:

"Do you ever have to find a charge? I mean, I know that Fae's don't, but is it the same with Mirrors? Why are you called Mirrors? Is it because your face is kinda sideways and reflected and wow so many golden eyes!? How long have you been in the Tangled Wood? Which clan are you from? Can you answer all these questions while flying backwards counter clockwise? I've got a dead duskrat for you if you can! No wait, that kind of game's a little unfair... I doubt I could do that... Ummmm... How are you finding the Tangled Wood?"

@Stanzascale
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
"Have you heard of smoke signals? Skilful control of smoke could be useful in that case indeed: getting messages across long distances, so long as the sky's clear enough for all concerned and it doesn't matter who sees it, unless you try specific times or use a cipher or something." Melreyna smiled and her tailed waved a little, cheerfully. "There's bound to be someone interested in the applications somewhere, it doesn't all have to be books and scriptures, but those are useful to see if anyone's done it before and to record what you find."

Dawlay started giggling, and tried answering between each breath as she tumbled over, at times glancing at her sister who blinked, not seeming inclined to assist with the questions. "what's a charge? Like running at someone or asking for money? Heh heh heh! I don't know, Mel's more the one for words. Ahaha! Not long, certainly haven't seen a great deal -oohoohoohoo- Sol-dunno again!" The lemon Mirror stopped giggling and lay panting on the ground a little, before answering the last question: "great!"

Melreyna smiled and commented on Hexdagaz's barrage of questions, "I really like how curiosity can be found wherever you go."

@Northwyrm
"Have you heard of smoke signals? Skilful control of smoke could be useful in that case indeed: getting messages across long distances, so long as the sky's clear enough for all concerned and it doesn't matter who sees it, unless you try specific times or use a cipher or something." Melreyna smiled and her tailed waved a little, cheerfully. "There's bound to be someone interested in the applications somewhere, it doesn't all have to be books and scriptures, but those are useful to see if anyone's done it before and to record what you find."

Dawlay started giggling, and tried answering between each breath as she tumbled over, at times glancing at her sister who blinked, not seeming inclined to assist with the questions. "what's a charge? Like running at someone or asking for money? Heh heh heh! I don't know, Mel's more the one for words. Ahaha! Not long, certainly haven't seen a great deal -oohoohoohoo- Sol-dunno again!" The lemon Mirror stopped giggling and lay panting on the ground a little, before answering the last question: "great!"

Melreyna smiled and commented on Hexdagaz's barrage of questions, "I really like how curiosity can be found wherever you go."

@Northwyrm
"There's a fine line between curiosity and insanely asking questions all the time. Hex dances on that line and keeps falling off it on either side, usually landing in a heap of trouble..." Replied Laguz.
Hexdagaz grinned at Dawlay. "Hey, want to play a game? I know an awesome tree thats really hard to climb! Its got bees nests and sap wounds and I swear its been hit by lightning a bazilliaon times!" She stopped and frowned. "Or... hit by a lightning dragon a bazillion times..." She shrugged. "Whatever."
Laguz watched his friend and felt the sigh building up in his chest. But he refrained from sighing. Sighing was not graceful. He turned to Melreyna. "So, what's your clan like?"

@Stanzascale
"There's a fine line between curiosity and insanely asking questions all the time. Hex dances on that line and keeps falling off it on either side, usually landing in a heap of trouble..." Replied Laguz.
Hexdagaz grinned at Dawlay. "Hey, want to play a game? I know an awesome tree thats really hard to climb! Its got bees nests and sap wounds and I swear its been hit by lightning a bazilliaon times!" She stopped and frowned. "Or... hit by a lightning dragon a bazillion times..." She shrugged. "Whatever."
Laguz watched his friend and felt the sigh building up in his chest. But he refrained from sighing. Sighing was not graceful. He turned to Melreyna. "So, what's your clan like?"

@Stanzascale
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
"Ooh! I wanna see! I wanna see!" Dawlay yipped happily at Hex's description of the impressively challenging sounding tree. She hopped up and down and swivelled her head around, as though hoping to catch a glimpse of it round a corner. The lemon Mirror stopped and puffed a moment before raising her head to the Guardian. "Where?"

"Well, care is needed at times, yes." Melreyna replied to the Fae, she looked over at the giddy duo discussing a tree, "if there is such a tree, it would be interesting to see the difference between something lightning-struck and lightning-dragon-struck."

Melreyna's expression drooped at the mention of her clan, "they're very...conservative."
"Boring dust-sniffers, that's wot!" Dawlay called over with open impudence.
"It's not often that we get the chance to go to a festival-"
"-Do you know those Fae? They tricked dad into coming, maybe he'll have some fun for a change."
"Well, at least we got to join uncle Morrie on one of his trips to the Starfall Isles."
"Heh, some think ma flew with the wrong drake of those two brothers."
"'Some' meaning you."
"Does that make the words 'invalid', sister?" A mocking tone crept into the lemon hatchling's voice. The purple one was quiet for a moment before commenting.
"So, you'd rather be beige and coral?" Referring to their uncle's unfavourable hues, she knew of her sister's vanity.

Dawlay tilted her head from side-to-side, considering. Melreyna knew her for taking somewhat longer than necessary in the morning in preparations and cleaning, even though she didn't care to make herself look 'perfect' as others of their clan did.

@Northwyrm
"Ooh! I wanna see! I wanna see!" Dawlay yipped happily at Hex's description of the impressively challenging sounding tree. She hopped up and down and swivelled her head around, as though hoping to catch a glimpse of it round a corner. The lemon Mirror stopped and puffed a moment before raising her head to the Guardian. "Where?"

"Well, care is needed at times, yes." Melreyna replied to the Fae, she looked over at the giddy duo discussing a tree, "if there is such a tree, it would be interesting to see the difference between something lightning-struck and lightning-dragon-struck."

Melreyna's expression drooped at the mention of her clan, "they're very...conservative."
"Boring dust-sniffers, that's wot!" Dawlay called over with open impudence.
"It's not often that we get the chance to go to a festival-"
"-Do you know those Fae? They tricked dad into coming, maybe he'll have some fun for a change."
"Well, at least we got to join uncle Morrie on one of his trips to the Starfall Isles."
"Heh, some think ma flew with the wrong drake of those two brothers."
"'Some' meaning you."
"Does that make the words 'invalid', sister?" A mocking tone crept into the lemon hatchling's voice. The purple one was quiet for a moment before commenting.
"So, you'd rather be beige and coral?" Referring to their uncle's unfavourable hues, she knew of her sister's vanity.

Dawlay tilted her head from side-to-side, considering. Melreyna knew her for taking somewhat longer than necessary in the morning in preparations and cleaning, even though she didn't care to make herself look 'perfect' as others of their clan did.

@Northwyrm
1 2