Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Saul's Quest (Mini-Nuzlocke)
1 2
"I don't have time for this, Dad. Either I'm the worthy heir to clan leadership, or I'm not. Either you respect the effort I've put in to molding myself into the man this clan needs, or you don't. Seeing as how you're still waffling between me and my absentee sister, the sister who never thinks of anything but her own self-interest... I'm starting to think you and Mom only respect travelers. Fine. I'm leaving. I've got a lead on a treasure and I'm taking a few travelers with me to bring it back. Don't follow me."
Saul's Quest

Guess who's doing another mini-nuzlocke after what like... 3 years since my last one? That's right, it's me! It's another traveling one, this time going in the opposite direction. Instead of a sad broken bird, we've got a scrappy clan leader's son with a chip on his shoulder. Instead of a first person diary perspective, we've got a more traditional 3rd person perspective. It's a whole extravaganza!

Rules are much the same as the first time but I'll be listing them here for your entertainment. Not necessary to understand them to understand the story. Feel free to skip 'em if you like.

Let me know if you want on or off the pinglist.
"I don't have time for this, Dad. Either I'm the worthy heir to clan leadership, or I'm not. Either you respect the effort I've put in to molding myself into the man this clan needs, or you don't. Seeing as how you're still waffling between me and my absentee sister, the sister who never thinks of anything but her own self-interest... I'm starting to think you and Mom only respect travelers. Fine. I'm leaving. I've got a lead on a treasure and I'm taking a few travelers with me to bring it back. Don't follow me."
Saul's Quest

Guess who's doing another mini-nuzlocke after what like... 3 years since my last one? That's right, it's me! It's another traveling one, this time going in the opposite direction. Instead of a sad broken bird, we've got a scrappy clan leader's son with a chip on his shoulder. Instead of a first person diary perspective, we've got a more traditional 3rd person perspective. It's a whole extravaganza!

Rules are much the same as the first time but I'll be listing them here for your entertainment. Not necessary to understand them to understand the story. Feel free to skip 'em if you like.

Let me know if you want on or off the pinglist.
hoMNYDJ.png
Rules

II- RULES

1) The only dragons involved in the challenge are in the "Saul's Quest" lair tab.

2) As again I have the rest of my lair to run, I'll have to keep track of Energy manually, as the Energy in my lair isn't going to be accurate. Dragons lose 3 energy per day and 2 energy per fight run from in the coli. Dragons with 0 energy starve to death.

3) Once a dragon faints in the coli, it's dead.

4) The post-death exultation ceremony of giving the dragon's spirit to the Stormcatcher makes the party lose one day of travel; multiple casualties can be exalted in one day. Dragons are declared dead (and posthumously given the honor of exultation) UNLESS someone wants to reserve it; then the dragon in question is merely mostly-dead and left for dead on the next move, to be adopted by the reserving clan. Reserved-dead don't carry the one-day penalty of non-reserved-dead, for lore reasons. The only exception is Saul; if Saul dies, he is saved from final death by the warriors from clan AXQU that secretly follow him.

4) The party starts at 10,000 miles from their destination. The maximum travel distance toward home in one day is 20 * L, where L is the mean level of the dragons in the party. A dragon may be carried by another if the carrying dragon's energy is above 70%, in which case the maximum travel distance is 18 * M, where M is the mean level of the dragons in the party not including the carried member. The carrying member loses 3 additional energy for the day UNLESS the one being carried is a fae. Faes result in no energy penalty. Faes cannot carry others.

5) If any one dragon's energy is below 50%, it cannot move, which halves the travel distance for the party for the day unless it is being carried.

6) Actual travel distance for the day will be calculated with this RNG

7) All food and supplies (apparel included) must be gained either through gathering or the coliseum, with the exception of the party's starting apparel and equipment. Pinkerton items/ Tomo treasure are not for the challenge. Familiar bonding items are not for the challenge.

8) Gathering turns dedicated to the challenge per day is the number of dragons in the party.

9)The party may only carry 30 points of food per adult dragon and 10 points per hatchling. The party may only carry 3 of Materials, Apparel, Battle Items, Skins, and Other per adult dragon and 1 each per hatchling, UNLESS the apparel/skin/battle item is equipped or is Saul's compass or Sam's diary. If the carry limit is exceeded, the travel distance for the day is quartered. If any one dragon hits double the carry limit in any category, the party cannot travel until some items are discarded. Baldwin items are not included in this rule and are handled separately.

10) Only items in the Party Inventory may be used in the challenge. Items gained for the challenge (through gathering/coli) are added to the inventory, along with 1/10 the treasure gained from each exultation. Items may be bought once per week only. Shopping trips do not stack week to week.

11) Donations can be accepted once per week; anything from unhatched eggs to food to orphaned hatchlings to treasure, but carry limits must be observed. Treasure donations that put the party over 2k will be put into the egg fund, which will be used to obtain an unhatched egg for the party. Please no adult dragons.

12) Ping people on the pinglist for each new post. It might not be daily, but there will be one every ingame day. Ping people who've reserved when their reserved derg is left for dead. (Ask me if you want on the pinglist! Gen 1 doubles, any multigazes, and any primals may or may not be able to be reserved)

13) On nests: Flip a coin. Heads, survivor. Tails, casualty. Each egg counts as an object under "other" if carried with the party while developing, and casualties carry the one-day penalty, though multiple casualties can be exalted per day.

14) The party may have a maximum of 6 members at a time aside from nests hatched.

15) Eye type headcanons:
Common: Most versatile. Dragons can be good at both physical and magical abilities.
Uncommon: Versatile. Slightly more inclined toward physical fighting, but fully capable of learning magic.
Unusual: Versatile. Slightly more inclined toward magic, but fully capable of learning physical fighting.
Rare: High resistance to magic. Magic can be performed with difficulty.
Goat: Prone to mischief and pranks. Most playful, best at sabotage.
Dark Sclera: Better night-sight
Swirl: Looking directly into their eyes causes a feeling of bliss and a state of much-increased susceptibility to suggestion.
Faceted: Insect-like vision that adds a ton of viewing angles to a dragon's visions.
Glowing: Usually the sign of a powerful mage who has made major sacrifices for increased magic reserves. Usually a sign of someone who's used blood magic.
Multigaze: Exactly what it looks like. The eyes are just as sensitive as any other eyes, so they tend to act as scouts, archers, and spies more than as direct fighters.
Primal: Magical potential as potent as Glowing-eyed dragons, without the sacrifice element. Complex relationship with mortality. Often have special sight related to their element.

16) Alchemists can brew up to one Soylent item per week as well as up to two of any other kind of item per week. Soylent items will count under "other" when carried by the party and can be cashed out for food points at any time. An unlimited amount of alchemy materials can be carried in the alchemist's alchemy bag, but must be brewed ingame from party supplies.

17) Rules can be added/ updated as needed.
Rules

II- RULES

1) The only dragons involved in the challenge are in the "Saul's Quest" lair tab.

2) As again I have the rest of my lair to run, I'll have to keep track of Energy manually, as the Energy in my lair isn't going to be accurate. Dragons lose 3 energy per day and 2 energy per fight run from in the coli. Dragons with 0 energy starve to death.

3) Once a dragon faints in the coli, it's dead.

4) The post-death exultation ceremony of giving the dragon's spirit to the Stormcatcher makes the party lose one day of travel; multiple casualties can be exalted in one day. Dragons are declared dead (and posthumously given the honor of exultation) UNLESS someone wants to reserve it; then the dragon in question is merely mostly-dead and left for dead on the next move, to be adopted by the reserving clan. Reserved-dead don't carry the one-day penalty of non-reserved-dead, for lore reasons. The only exception is Saul; if Saul dies, he is saved from final death by the warriors from clan AXQU that secretly follow him.

4) The party starts at 10,000 miles from their destination. The maximum travel distance toward home in one day is 20 * L, where L is the mean level of the dragons in the party. A dragon may be carried by another if the carrying dragon's energy is above 70%, in which case the maximum travel distance is 18 * M, where M is the mean level of the dragons in the party not including the carried member. The carrying member loses 3 additional energy for the day UNLESS the one being carried is a fae. Faes result in no energy penalty. Faes cannot carry others.

5) If any one dragon's energy is below 50%, it cannot move, which halves the travel distance for the party for the day unless it is being carried.

6) Actual travel distance for the day will be calculated with this RNG

7) All food and supplies (apparel included) must be gained either through gathering or the coliseum, with the exception of the party's starting apparel and equipment. Pinkerton items/ Tomo treasure are not for the challenge. Familiar bonding items are not for the challenge.

8) Gathering turns dedicated to the challenge per day is the number of dragons in the party.

9)The party may only carry 30 points of food per adult dragon and 10 points per hatchling. The party may only carry 3 of Materials, Apparel, Battle Items, Skins, and Other per adult dragon and 1 each per hatchling, UNLESS the apparel/skin/battle item is equipped or is Saul's compass or Sam's diary. If the carry limit is exceeded, the travel distance for the day is quartered. If any one dragon hits double the carry limit in any category, the party cannot travel until some items are discarded. Baldwin items are not included in this rule and are handled separately.

10) Only items in the Party Inventory may be used in the challenge. Items gained for the challenge (through gathering/coli) are added to the inventory, along with 1/10 the treasure gained from each exultation. Items may be bought once per week only. Shopping trips do not stack week to week.

11) Donations can be accepted once per week; anything from unhatched eggs to food to orphaned hatchlings to treasure, but carry limits must be observed. Treasure donations that put the party over 2k will be put into the egg fund, which will be used to obtain an unhatched egg for the party. Please no adult dragons.

12) Ping people on the pinglist for each new post. It might not be daily, but there will be one every ingame day. Ping people who've reserved when their reserved derg is left for dead. (Ask me if you want on the pinglist! Gen 1 doubles, any multigazes, and any primals may or may not be able to be reserved)

13) On nests: Flip a coin. Heads, survivor. Tails, casualty. Each egg counts as an object under "other" if carried with the party while developing, and casualties carry the one-day penalty, though multiple casualties can be exalted per day.

14) The party may have a maximum of 6 members at a time aside from nests hatched.

15) Eye type headcanons:
Common: Most versatile. Dragons can be good at both physical and magical abilities.
Uncommon: Versatile. Slightly more inclined toward physical fighting, but fully capable of learning magic.
Unusual: Versatile. Slightly more inclined toward magic, but fully capable of learning physical fighting.
Rare: High resistance to magic. Magic can be performed with difficulty.
Goat: Prone to mischief and pranks. Most playful, best at sabotage.
Dark Sclera: Better night-sight
Swirl: Looking directly into their eyes causes a feeling of bliss and a state of much-increased susceptibility to suggestion.
Faceted: Insect-like vision that adds a ton of viewing angles to a dragon's visions.
Glowing: Usually the sign of a powerful mage who has made major sacrifices for increased magic reserves. Usually a sign of someone who's used blood magic.
Multigaze: Exactly what it looks like. The eyes are just as sensitive as any other eyes, so they tend to act as scouts, archers, and spies more than as direct fighters.
Primal: Magical potential as potent as Glowing-eyed dragons, without the sacrifice element. Complex relationship with mortality. Often have special sight related to their element.

16) Alchemists can brew up to one Soylent item per week as well as up to two of any other kind of item per week. Soylent items will count under "other" when carried by the party and can be cashed out for food points at any time. An unlimited amount of alchemy materials can be carried in the alchemist's alchemy bag, but must be brewed ingame from party supplies.

17) Rules can be added/ updated as needed.
hoMNYDJ.png
[center][b]Party Members/ Party Member Info[/b][/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46306233] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/463063/46306233_350.png[/img] [/url] Saul - Adult - Level 11 - Lightning Uncommon Energy: 50/50 (100%) Overloaded - No Carrying - No [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47693545] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/476936/47693545_350.png[/img] [/url] Gift - Adult - Level 9 - Lightning Common Energy: 50/50 (100%) Overloaded - No Carrying - No [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46959451] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/469595/46959451_350.png[/img] [/url] Lorn - Adult - Level 7 - Wind Uncommon Alchemist Energy: 50/50 (100%) Overloaded - No Carrying - No [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49963168] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/499632/49963168_350.png[/img] [/url] Samaeth - Adult - Level 9 - Arcane Common Energy: 50/50 (100%) Overloaded - No Carrying - No
Party Members/ Party Member Info

46306233_350.png

Saul - Adult - Level 11 - Lightning Uncommon
Energy: 50/50 (100%)
Overloaded - No
Carrying - No

47693545_350.png

Gift - Adult - Level 9 - Lightning Common
Overloaded - No
Carrying - No

46959451_350.png

Lorn - Adult - Level 7 - Wind Uncommon
Alchemist
Overloaded - No
Carrying - No

49963168_350.png

Samaeth - Adult - Level 9 - Arcane Common
Overloaded - No
Carrying - No
hoMNYDJ.png
Party Inventory

T: 2000T
G: 0G
Egg Fund: 0T; 0G

Saul's Compass

Saul:
Food: 30 Meat, 0 Seafood, 0 Plants, 0 Insects (30/30)
Materials: (0/3)
Apparel: (0/3)
Battle Items: (0/3)
Skins: (0/3)
Other: (0/3)
Familiar: None

Gift:
Food: 0 Meat, 30 Seafood, 0 Plants, 0 Insects (30/30)

Lorn:
Food: 0 Meat, 0 Seafood, 30 Plants, 0 Insects (30/30)
Other: Alchemy Bag (1/3)
Familiar: Ravenous Cauldron "Brewster"

Samaeth:

The Alchemy Bag:
Goo: Green x1, Red x1
Ooze: Green x1, Red x1, Purple x1,
Sludge: Green x2, Yellow x1, Purple x1,
Slime:
Muck:
Other:
Party Inventory

T: 2000T
G: 0G
Egg Fund: 0T; 0G

Saul's Compass

Saul:
Food: 30 Meat, 0 Seafood, 0 Plants, 0 Insects (30/30)

Gift:
Food: 0 Meat, 30 Seafood, 0 Plants, 0 Insects (30/30)

Lorn:
Other: Alchemy Bag (1/3)
Familiar: Ravenous Cauldron "Brewster"

Samaeth:

The Alchemy Bag:
Goo: Green x1, Red x1
Ooze: Green x1, Red x1, Purple x1,
Sludge: Green x2, Yellow x1, Purple x1,
Slime:
Muck:
Other:
hoMNYDJ.png
Location Info

The party is currently 9,709 miles from the treasure.

ROUTE:

Shifting Expanse -> Ashfall Waste -> Starfall Isles -> Windswept Plateau -> Southern Icefield -> Starfall Isles -> Scarred Wasteland -> Sea of a Thousand Currents -> Sunbeam Ruins -> Tangled Wood -> Dragonhome -> Viridian Labyrinth -> Treasure!

L = (11 + 9 + 9 + 7 ) / 4 = 9
20 * L = 180

M = (11 + 9 + 9) / 3 = 9.667
18 * M = 174

Current max daily travel distance = 180 miles

RNG link

Daily distance log:

Day 1: 20 miles. JOURNEY START
Day 2: 74 miles
Day 3: 138 miles
Day 4: 59 miles
Location Info

The party is currently 9,709 miles from the treasure.

ROUTE:

Shifting Expanse -> Ashfall Waste -> Starfall Isles -> Windswept Plateau -> Southern Icefield -> Starfall Isles -> Scarred Wasteland -> Sea of a Thousand Currents -> Sunbeam Ruins -> Tangled Wood -> Dragonhome -> Viridian Labyrinth -> Treasure!

L = (11 + 9 + 9 + 7 ) / 4 = 9
20 * L = 180

M = (11 + 9 + 9) / 3 = 9.667
18 * M = 174

Current max daily travel distance = 180 miles

RNG link

Daily distance log:

Day 1: 20 miles. JOURNEY START
Day 2: 74 miles
Day 3: 138 miles
Day 4: 59 miles
hoMNYDJ.png
Pinglist/ Reserves

@sykotikkytten @Erisna @Eveneon @Amaluna
Pinglist/ Reserves

@sykotikkytten @Erisna @Eveneon @Amaluna
hoMNYDJ.png
Links to Story Posts

Day 1 - Beginnings
Day 2 - Running the Canyon
Day 3 - Fodder
Day 4 - Strife
Links to Story Posts

Day 1 - Beginnings
Day 2 - Running the Canyon
Day 3 - Fodder
Day 4 - Strife
hoMNYDJ.png
Special Thanks/ Donations
Special Thanks/ Donations
hoMNYDJ.png
[center][b]Day 1 - Beginnings[/b][/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46306233] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/463063/46306233_350.png[/img] [/url] Saul saw no need to advertise the fact that he was scared. He'd admit it, of course, if someone asked. Good leaders, effective leaders, were honest with their teams. Saul's crests twitched up just the slightest bit. Leadership was a service position, as he knew. He hadn't asked any of this merry band of misfits if they wanted to come with him. Instead, they'd heard about his intentions to leave, and had chosen to come along with him. The young mirror knew he could handle the responsibility, but there was always that little bit of doubt lingering at the back of his mind. Saul leaned into it, digging a bit more. He was young. Inexperienced. He'd had secondhand experience, but very little leadership on his own. He was going to make mistakes. He just hoped they wouldn't cripple his team when they happened. Saul liked to think he was self-aware and mature. He looked over his shoulder at the team that had chosen to follow him into the dusty heat of the Shifting Expanse. They all had their own reasons for striking out with him on his treasure hunt. The treasure was in the Viridian Labyrinth, but Saul was taking a deliberately circuitous route to get there. It was part treasure hunt, part sightseeing tour, and part thumbing his nose at his old man. Saul expected a long, hard road, but he hoped to earn Ajax's respect by the end of it. He wasn't worried about his mother; Ashes already knew that Saul was a better choice for leadership than his [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46306232]disgrace of a sister,[/url] but Ajax seemed to want to wait it out. Apparently Ajax had gained a lot of maturity traveling, and wanted to "give Autumn a chance" to prove herself. Saul snorted, his lip curling in a snarl at the thought. He knew his sister. She was a lazy good-for-nothing, and yet somehow, his father still treated them equally. Despite Saul's drive and resolve. Saul never liked magic. Maybe that had something to do with it. "Penny for your thoughts, four-eyes?" rumbled a brightly-colored Imperial walking next to him. Saul jumped a little; he'd let his thoughts wander a bit too far. He looked up at her small, sad smile and wondered what scars this journey would put on her lovely face. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47693545] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/476936/47693545_350.png[/img] [/url] Saul understood Gift's reasoning for being here much better than the other two. She'd never really had a place in the clan, and hoped that traveling might give her a skillset to make her stand out. It made perfect sense to Saul. He gave her a toothy grin. "Angst and self-pity. Nothing to worry about." She was the only one in the clan that'd ever felt comfortable teasing him, and for that, Saul counted her as a friend. Most dragons were careful around the clan leaders' son, but Gift treated him like a dragon. "Well, do not dwell upon it so. You will upset yourself for no good reason," she pointed out. Saul just shrugged and kept walking. "You guys doing okay back there?" he yelled over his shoulder. A chorus of "Yes!" came back from the two fluffier members of the party. Saul knew that traveling in the heat could be brutal on tundras. He'd had them shave down before setting out, although he knew their fur would come back in time. Lorn seemed well-adjusted about the whole thing, merrily prancing and singing as she always did. Saul figured they'd pick up at least one Windie on this trip, and Lorn was a very very good Windie to have on your side; she was an alchemist, after all, and her cauldron familiar meant that she'd always have the means to brew up something spectacular. Saul didn't understand how someone who seemed so airheaded could prove to be such a brilliant alchemist, but he wasn't going to look a gift centaur in the mouth. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46959451] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/469595/46959451_350.png[/img] [/url] The other tundra, however... well, he'd broken three sets of trimmers trying to get him shaved down, and once he was shaved, he seemed to shrink into himself. He wouldn't let them shave off his mane-- fair enough, considering a male tundra's mane was as much a symbol of his masculinity as a ridgeback's long nose. "L-let me have a little dignity," he'd stammered. The shave seemed to highlight certain... oddities in his anatomy. He had thick, ropy legs and a long, sloping forehead. Long fangs and a short tail, and short, stumpy wings that barely got him off the ground. He'd thrown a guise over himself to hide his odd build from prying eyes. By tundra standards, Samaeth was incredibly hard to look at. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49963168] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/499632/49963168_350.png[/img] [/url] They spent most of the day in relative silence. When they stopped for the night, it was still fairly early. Saul didn't want to tax anyone too hard their first day traveling. Besides, there was an oasis he knew roughly 20 miles outside Clan territory. It'd be a good place to rest up and drink their fill for the long road ahead. Evening saw a few other groups of travelers camped out by the oasis, but nobody bothered each other, and the whole atmosphere was relatively peaceful. Saul lit a fire and Lorn's familiar happily parked itself on top of it. Lorn hummed some tune or other while she threw some scavenged supplies into the pot, her tail merrily twitching while she watched the ingredients reduce down. She dreamed of brewing up a child someday. There had to be some way to brew up an egg, and she wanted to do it. The pot simmered down and she collected her ingredients. Someday. Someday she would brew herself up a child. She didn't know what she'd do with one, but she knew she wanted one, in the same way a hatchling wanted a new game. Samaeth, meanwhile, wrote in his diary. Saul walked up behind him, which gave the tundra a fright. He blinked and shut the diary, a blush creeping up his cheeks. "H-how much d-did you read?" he asked, haltingly, his voice just above a whisper. Saul shrugged. "I was looking at the pictures and how neat your writing is. You're a good artist. I liked the star chart." The tundra snorted. "Y-you're sure y-you d-didn't..." "It'd take me over an hour to fight through one page, Sam, and even then I'd only get half of it. That's one of the reasons I'm so glad you signed on." Saul thumped Samaeth's back. The tundra smiled a little bit, despite himself. Saul sat up by the fire, settling in to take the first watch. It paid to be careful out here.
Day 1 - Beginnings

46306233_350.png

Saul saw no need to advertise the fact that he was scared. He'd admit it, of course, if someone asked. Good leaders, effective leaders, were honest with their teams. Saul's crests twitched up just the slightest bit. Leadership was a service position, as he knew. He hadn't asked any of this merry band of misfits if they wanted to come with him. Instead, they'd heard about his intentions to leave, and had chosen to come along with him.

The young mirror knew he could handle the responsibility, but there was always that little bit of doubt lingering at the back of his mind. Saul leaned into it, digging a bit more. He was young. Inexperienced. He'd had secondhand experience, but very little leadership on his own. He was going to make mistakes. He just hoped they wouldn't cripple his team when they happened.

Saul liked to think he was self-aware and mature.

He looked over his shoulder at the team that had chosen to follow him into the dusty heat of the Shifting Expanse. They all had their own reasons for striking out with him on his treasure hunt. The treasure was in the Viridian Labyrinth, but Saul was taking a deliberately circuitous route to get there. It was part treasure hunt, part sightseeing tour, and part thumbing his nose at his old man.

Saul expected a long, hard road, but he hoped to earn Ajax's respect by the end of it. He wasn't worried about his mother; Ashes already knew that Saul was a better choice for leadership than his disgrace of a sister, but Ajax seemed to want to wait it out. Apparently Ajax had gained a lot of maturity traveling, and wanted to "give Autumn a chance" to prove herself. Saul snorted, his lip curling in a snarl at the thought. He knew his sister. She was a lazy good-for-nothing, and yet somehow, his father still treated them equally. Despite Saul's drive and resolve. Saul never liked magic. Maybe that had something to do with it.

"Penny for your thoughts, four-eyes?" rumbled a brightly-colored Imperial walking next to him. Saul jumped a little; he'd let his thoughts wander a bit too far. He looked up at her small, sad smile and wondered what scars this journey would put on her lovely face.

47693545_350.png

Saul understood Gift's reasoning for being here much better than the other two. She'd never really had a place in the clan, and hoped that traveling might give her a skillset to make her stand out. It made perfect sense to Saul. He gave her a toothy grin. "Angst and self-pity. Nothing to worry about." She was the only one in the clan that'd ever felt comfortable teasing him, and for that, Saul counted her as a friend. Most dragons were careful around the clan leaders' son, but Gift treated him like a dragon.

"Well, do not dwell upon it so. You will upset yourself for no good reason," she pointed out. Saul just shrugged and kept walking.

"You guys doing okay back there?" he yelled over his shoulder. A chorus of "Yes!" came back from the two fluffier members of the party. Saul knew that traveling in the heat could be brutal on tundras. He'd had them shave down before setting out, although he knew their fur would come back in time.

Lorn seemed well-adjusted about the whole thing, merrily prancing and singing as she always did. Saul figured they'd pick up at least one Windie on this trip, and Lorn was a very very good Windie to have on your side; she was an alchemist, after all, and her cauldron familiar meant that she'd always have the means to brew up something spectacular. Saul didn't understand how someone who seemed so airheaded could prove to be such a brilliant alchemist, but he wasn't going to look a gift centaur in the mouth.

46959451_350.png

The other tundra, however... well, he'd broken three sets of trimmers trying to get him shaved down, and once he was shaved, he seemed to shrink into himself. He wouldn't let them shave off his mane-- fair enough, considering a male tundra's mane was as much a symbol of his masculinity as a ridgeback's long nose. "L-let me have a little dignity," he'd stammered. The shave seemed to highlight certain... oddities in his anatomy. He had thick, ropy legs and a long, sloping forehead. Long fangs and a short tail, and short, stumpy wings that barely got him off the ground. He'd thrown a guise over himself to hide his odd build from prying eyes. By tundra standards, Samaeth was incredibly hard to look at.

49963168_350.png

They spent most of the day in relative silence. When they stopped for the night, it was still fairly early. Saul didn't want to tax anyone too hard their first day traveling. Besides, there was an oasis he knew roughly 20 miles outside Clan territory. It'd be a good place to rest up and drink their fill for the long road ahead. Evening saw a few other groups of travelers camped out by the oasis, but nobody bothered each other, and the whole atmosphere was relatively peaceful. Saul lit a fire and Lorn's familiar happily parked itself on top of it.

Lorn hummed some tune or other while she threw some scavenged supplies into the pot, her tail merrily twitching while she watched the ingredients reduce down. She dreamed of brewing up a child someday. There had to be some way to brew up an egg, and she wanted to do it. The pot simmered down and she collected her ingredients. Someday. Someday she would brew herself up a child. She didn't know what she'd do with one, but she knew she wanted one, in the same way a hatchling wanted a new game.

Samaeth, meanwhile, wrote in his diary. Saul walked up behind him, which gave the tundra a fright. He blinked and shut the diary, a blush creeping up his cheeks. "H-how much d-did you read?" he asked, haltingly, his voice just above a whisper.

Saul shrugged. "I was looking at the pictures and how neat your writing is. You're a good artist. I liked the star chart."

The tundra snorted. "Y-you're sure y-you d-didn't..."

"It'd take me over an hour to fight through one page, Sam, and even then I'd only get half of it. That's one of the reasons I'm so glad you signed on." Saul thumped Samaeth's back. The tundra smiled a little bit, despite himself.

Saul sat up by the fire, settling in to take the first watch. It paid to be careful out here.
hoMNYDJ.png
@Kaelum @Erisna @sykotikkytten @Ahillamon @fairyn @shanncrafter @Vestasam568 @neonopaldragon14

Hey folks! You guys asked to be pinged for future writing projects of mine like... 3 years ago-ish? I'm doing another mini-locke; let me know if you want on the pinglist for it.
@Kaelum @Erisna @sykotikkytten @Ahillamon @fairyn @shanncrafter @Vestasam568 @neonopaldragon14

Hey folks! You guys asked to be pinged for future writing projects of mine like... 3 years ago-ish? I'm doing another mini-locke; let me know if you want on the pinglist for it.
hoMNYDJ.png
1 2