Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Just Go | COMPLETED Pinkerlocke
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 88 89
[b][i]Day Thirty Six:[/i][/b] Blithe frowned at the cliff faces that were currently blocking their path. They had arrived at them earlier that day and attempted to find some sort of passageway through or on top of them, but without success. Sure, Blithe and the other adult dragons could just fly over the cliffs with Baines’s storm seeker, but the rest of the party couldn’t. Xihuitl was still struggling to learn in the odd, inconsistent wind patterns of the Expanse. Iuitl had confessed to them that her wings were too damaged in the storm to ever allow her to fly again. Indeed, the feathers were clearly not growing back in the way they should, and often would simply fall out again when they got too large and heavy. She was merely grateful for the fact that Aviar weren’t known as strong fliers to begin with and thus didn’t find it too disruptive to now be confined to the ground. And then there was Daimhín and Bree, neither of which had wings and so had no chance of flying. Unfortunately by this point, Xihuitl was too large to be carried by anyone for long, even Baines, so that wasn’t an option either. Eventually, the group came to a halt once the sun had reached its peak in the sky, all of them frustrated and hungry. As they ate, Daimhín pulled out his maps, thoroughly scrutinizing them. “We should turn back and head southwest along the wall,” he said, using a notched stick to measure distances. Baines frowned. “Why? That would be a waste of another three hours that we already spent walking this way,” he groused. “Perhaps, but we could also be walking further away from a way up of through the other direction,” the fawn answered. “I am still trying to create a viable route here with as direct a route as possible; we can’t rule out of the possibility that there might be a better way a little further south than where we began. It’s also very possible these cliffs loop all the way back around to lead us back toward the Tempest Spire.” “The Tempest Spire? That’s in the exact opposite direction of where we want to go,” Capricious sighed. “Exactly.” “So we head back southwest,” Baines huffed. “The way we came from.” “To check further down for a better way.” “And if we don’t find one?” Daimhín shrugged. “Then hope there’s an opening to the coast of the Sea of a Thousand Currents. That’ll get you to the Tangled Wood sure as anything.” “Sounds reasonable to me,” Blithe said with a shrug. According to Daimhín’s maps, the group had apparently been meandering west anyway. It didn’t seem like such a bad idea to follow the coast. The others agreed to the plan and the group soon picked up their camp to continue. The track actually went by a little quicker since they weren’t looking for ways up the cliffs, already knowing there wasn’t any. Then they were once again travelling new ground, eyes fixed on the wall to their right, hoping for any sign of a path. “There!” Iuitl finally called out. They had been travelling for only another hour and half and she had spotted a crooked, narrow walkway zig-zagging its way up. Despite their elation at the discovery, it looked quite treacherous on further inspection. Xihuitl could barely walk the path with his wings pinned close to his sides, while Baines was too big to try at all. “We could fly,” Blithe suggested. “We’ll keep pace with you on the path, so if someone starts to fall, we can help catch them.” It was the best option they had, really. They were tired of being stuck there in the valley. Bree took a little convincing to go up the path, apparently not very keen on heights. Iuitl had gone first, leading Xihuitl behind her, then Bree with Daimhín bringing up the rear. Baines’s storm seeker glided along with the dragons, occasionally cawing at the group of the cliffs as if mocking them for their inability to do the same. “Easy now, don’t look at your feet- just look at the path ahead of you,” Iuitl was telling Xihuitl, who was indeed looking down, his eyes wide. He wasn’t panicking yet, but he was definitely not his usual rambunctious self. He did as instructed, looking up at the Aviar instead, but his crest remained tall and quivering the whole way. Things were going fairly smoothly. They had made it three quarters of the way up the cliff with only a few starts. Bits of rock would occasionally crumble underfoot, much to the alarm of the one whose foot was currently resting there. Then the rock [i]cracked[/i]. Xihuitl let out an unearthly shriek as the rock began to give way underneath him. Iuitl echoed the shriek in a panic, reaching out and grabbing him by the horns. They would have both gone over together if Baines hadn’t smashed himself into the wall beneath the Wildclaw, digging his claws into the crevices that existed and becoming the foothold they needed. He let out a grunt as a hooked claw dug into his back as Xihuitl scrambled to get back on the ledge with Iuitl, Capricious and Blithe rushing over to help. The commotion was dislodging more of the path, however, causing the rock behind to fall away. Bree screamed and quickly backed away from the disappearing trail. Daimhín tried to back up as well, but too late, and when the zeeba met resistance, she kicked back. Daimhín let out a shout as he was struck away from the ledge, left with nothing but air to grab on to. The sound alerted Blithe, who whipped around and desperately reached out toward the fawn. The only thing he managed to grab was his pack, and he watched in horror as Daimhín slipped right out of it and fell. He tried to move, but he was frozen, watching the fawn as if in slow motion. He didn’t have control of his faculties until a shrill sound from Capricious and he immediately dived after the falling creature. Even before he reached the ground, he knew it was too late. He almost wretched at the sight of the broken form, somehow too numb to even follow through with the action. He wasn’t sure how long he was there, only coming to when Baines spoke from beside him. “We’ll ask Iuitl how the fawn bury their dead,” he was saying. “We’ll give him the respect he deserves.” Blithe didn’t really feel himself nod, but he must have, because the Mirror reached forward to gather Daimhín carefully up in his claws. Flying up to the top of the cliff felt not unlike a dream. Once the others saw what Baines carried, Xihuitl whimpered and Capricious’s fins lay flat. Iuitl had put on a brave face, but her voice was flat and hollow as she answered the question when Baines posed it to her. There was no green earth to bury him in, so they did what they could in the barren ground. Iuitl and Baines both helped in digging the grave, and Capricious and Blithe picked out some grasses with roots still attached from their feed bags to plant in the churned soil. Lastly, Blithe placed the fawn’s flute among the grasses. Everyone was solemn and quiet still when they stopped for supper that night. Xihuitl had been quietly questioning Iuitl about the fawn’s death on the way there and was much subdued by the answers he received. Needless to say, none of them were very talkative when they settled down to sleep that night. Blithe had kept Daimhín’s pack, and stared at it guiltily until he finally drifted off to sleep. ----- [item=berserker] [b]Coin Toss: Heads (true)[/b] Rolled: Baines, Capricious, Blithe Loot: [item=tigerblood foo] [i]WELL FRICK.[/i] First actual death streak of the nuzlocke. I actually completed a whole death streak without deaths and was so proud of myself until I realized; I had done it in the [i]wrong freakin' venue[/i]. So I had to go back and do it again and on round 9, Blithe is KO'ed. Now technically, Blithe is immune to 'real death', but since he has a familiar, saving rules still apply. Rolled a 5 for Daimhín's saving through, thus saving Blithe a 15 day time out from the locke, but also dying in the process. Welp. Goodbye Daimhín. Wish we could've gotten to know you, but Pinkerton is a jerk. On the bright side, they got a Tigerblood Foo and kept it. So Daimhín will be replaced with the Foo, I just need to figure out how to write it in. Also, guess who forgot Baines had a storm seeker. That's right. This dummy right here. [size=2]Whoops.[/size] ----- Inventory: Scatter Scroll x1, Breed Change x1 ----- @Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester @AstralDragons
Day Thirty Six:

Blithe frowned at the cliff faces that were currently blocking their path. They had arrived at them earlier that day and attempted to find some sort of passageway through or on top of them, but without success. Sure, Blithe and the other adult dragons could just fly over the cliffs with Baines’s storm seeker, but the rest of the party couldn’t. Xihuitl was still struggling to learn in the odd, inconsistent wind patterns of the Expanse. Iuitl had confessed to them that her wings were too damaged in the storm to ever allow her to fly again. Indeed, the feathers were clearly not growing back in the way they should, and often would simply fall out again when they got too large and heavy. She was merely grateful for the fact that Aviar weren’t known as strong fliers to begin with and thus didn’t find it too disruptive to now be confined to the ground. And then there was Daimhín and Bree, neither of which had wings and so had no chance of flying. Unfortunately by this point, Xihuitl was too large to be carried by anyone for long, even Baines, so that wasn’t an option either.

Eventually, the group came to a halt once the sun had reached its peak in the sky, all of them frustrated and hungry. As they ate, Daimhín pulled out his maps, thoroughly scrutinizing them.

“We should turn back and head southwest along the wall,” he said, using a notched stick to measure distances. Baines frowned.

“Why? That would be a waste of another three hours that we already spent walking this way,” he groused.

“Perhaps, but we could also be walking further away from a way up of through the other direction,” the fawn answered. “I am still trying to create a viable route here with as direct a route as possible; we can’t rule out of the possibility that there might be a better way a little further south than where we began. It’s also very possible these cliffs loop all the way back around to lead us back toward the Tempest Spire.”

“The Tempest Spire? That’s in the exact opposite direction of where we want to go,” Capricious sighed.

“Exactly.”

“So we head back southwest,” Baines huffed. “The way we came from.”

“To check further down for a better way.”

“And if we don’t find one?” Daimhín shrugged.

“Then hope there’s an opening to the coast of the Sea of a Thousand Currents. That’ll get you to the Tangled Wood sure as anything.”

“Sounds reasonable to me,” Blithe said with a shrug. According to Daimhín’s maps, the group had apparently been meandering west anyway. It didn’t seem like such a bad idea to follow the coast.

The others agreed to the plan and the group soon picked up their camp to continue. The track actually went by a little quicker since they weren’t looking for ways up the cliffs, already knowing there wasn’t any. Then they were once again travelling new ground, eyes fixed on the wall to their right, hoping for any sign of a path.

“There!” Iuitl finally called out. They had been travelling for only another hour and half and she had spotted a crooked, narrow walkway zig-zagging its way up. Despite their elation at the discovery, it looked quite treacherous on further inspection. Xihuitl could barely walk the path with his wings pinned close to his sides, while Baines was too big to try at all.

“We could fly,” Blithe suggested. “We’ll keep pace with you on the path, so if someone starts to fall, we can help catch them.” It was the best option they had, really. They were tired of being stuck there in the valley.

Bree took a little convincing to go up the path, apparently not very keen on heights. Iuitl had gone first, leading Xihuitl behind her, then Bree with Daimhín bringing up the rear. Baines’s storm seeker glided along with the dragons, occasionally cawing at the group of the cliffs as if mocking them for their inability to do the same.

“Easy now, don’t look at your feet- just look at the path ahead of you,” Iuitl was telling Xihuitl, who was indeed looking down, his eyes wide. He wasn’t panicking yet, but he was definitely not his usual rambunctious self. He did as instructed, looking up at the Aviar instead, but his crest remained tall and quivering the whole way.

Things were going fairly smoothly. They had made it three quarters of the way up the cliff with only a few starts. Bits of rock would occasionally crumble underfoot, much to the alarm of the one whose foot was currently resting there.

Then the rock cracked. Xihuitl let out an unearthly shriek as the rock began to give way underneath him. Iuitl echoed the shriek in a panic, reaching out and grabbing him by the horns. They would have both gone over together if Baines hadn’t smashed himself into the wall beneath the Wildclaw, digging his claws into the crevices that existed and becoming the foothold they needed. He let out a grunt as a hooked claw dug into his back as Xihuitl scrambled to get back on the ledge with Iuitl, Capricious and Blithe rushing over to help. The commotion was dislodging more of the path, however, causing the rock behind to fall away. Bree screamed and quickly backed away from the disappearing trail. Daimhín tried to back up as well, but too late, and when the zeeba met resistance, she kicked back.

Daimhín let out a shout as he was struck away from the ledge, left with nothing but air to grab on to. The sound alerted Blithe, who whipped around and desperately reached out toward the fawn. The only thing he managed to grab was his pack, and he watched in horror as Daimhín slipped right out of it and fell. He tried to move, but he was frozen, watching the fawn as if in slow motion. He didn’t have control of his faculties until a shrill sound from Capricious and he immediately dived after the falling creature.

Even before he reached the ground, he knew it was too late. He almost wretched at the sight of the broken form, somehow too numb to even follow through with the action. He wasn’t sure how long he was there, only coming to when Baines spoke from beside him.

“We’ll ask Iuitl how the fawn bury their dead,” he was saying. “We’ll give him the respect he deserves.”

Blithe didn’t really feel himself nod, but he must have, because the Mirror reached forward to gather Daimhín carefully up in his claws. Flying up to the top of the cliff felt not unlike a dream. Once the others saw what Baines carried, Xihuitl whimpered and Capricious’s fins lay flat. Iuitl had put on a brave face, but her voice was flat and hollow as she answered the question when Baines posed it to her.

There was no green earth to bury him in, so they did what they could in the barren ground. Iuitl and Baines both helped in digging the grave, and Capricious and Blithe picked out some grasses with roots still attached from their feed bags to plant in the churned soil. Lastly, Blithe placed the fawn’s flute among the grasses.

Everyone was solemn and quiet still when they stopped for supper that night. Xihuitl had been quietly questioning Iuitl about the fawn’s death on the way there and was much subdued by the answers he received. Needless to say, none of them were very talkative when they settled down to sleep that night.

Blithe had kept Daimhín’s pack, and stared at it guiltily until he finally drifted off to sleep.
Berserker
Coin Toss: Heads (true)
Rolled: Baines, Capricious, Blithe
Loot: Tigerblood Foo

WELL FRICK.
First actual death streak of the nuzlocke. I actually completed a whole death streak without deaths and was so proud of myself until I realized; I had done it in the wrong freakin' venue. So I had to go back and do it again and on round 9, Blithe is KO'ed.
Now technically, Blithe is immune to 'real death', but since he has a familiar, saving rules still apply. Rolled a 5 for Daimhín's saving through, thus saving Blithe a 15 day time out from the locke, but also dying in the process.

Welp. Goodbye Daimhín. Wish we could've gotten to know you, but Pinkerton is a jerk.

On the bright side, they got a Tigerblood Foo and kept it. So Daimhín will be replaced with the Foo, I just need to figure out how to write it in.

Also, guess who forgot Baines had a storm seeker. That's right. This dummy right here. Whoops.
Inventory: Scatter Scroll x1, Breed Change x1
@Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester @AstralDragons
W E L L. RIP Daimhín, you will forever be missed. I'm honestly super stunned, like I completely forgot that death was... a thing. Here. In a Pinkerlocke. Even though Daimhín was only around for a short while, it still aches, so like.

I'm terrified of how bad it would hurt if any of the main cast of dragons, or Bree, or Iuitl died.

Please I'm begging you don't let them perish also your writing is as phenomenal as ever
W E L L. RIP Daimhín, you will forever be missed. I'm honestly super stunned, like I completely forgot that death was... a thing. Here. In a Pinkerlocke. Even though Daimhín was only around for a short while, it still aches, so like.

I'm terrified of how bad it would hurt if any of the main cast of dragons, or Bree, or Iuitl died.

Please I'm begging you don't let them perish also your writing is as phenomenal as ever
astralDragonsHatchery_buttonrounded.png
[b][i]Day Thirty Seven:[/i][/b] The somber group was only quieter the next day. Blithe didn’t go down from his vantage point up in the sky like he normally would, stuck in his own thoughts. Even during rest stops, he barely spoke. Instead, he pulled out Daimhín’s maps, absorbing himself in them. He did his best to continue working them as the fawn had, having watched him at least enough to have some understanding. He still kept his marks faint, not entirely confident that they were accurate. Even so, he kept at it even into the next day. They came to other side of the massive plateau that had spelled Daimhín’s demise, but this side fell away at an angle that, though steep, was not nearly as dangerous. Blithe had to bite back the bitter taste in his mouth at the sight of it. Had the geography been reversed, they would have only had to all glide down from the top, which would have been much smoother than having to fly straight up. They could have all made it then. The group made its way down slowly, doing their best to get down safely. Iuitl even used this opportunity to teach Xihuitl how to glide with the help of Baines. They would take off just enough to be hovering over the ground as they descended, and whenever the Wildclaw became too anxious or unsteady he would only have to put out his feet and did in his hook claws to stop. Baines would carry Bree so she could keep up, her hoofs not the best at dealing with the terrain. She didn’t much care to be carried and bleated in protest whenever Baines picked her up, but she at least didn’t struggle free. They soon came to the bottom, having to avoid a section of earth that curved down more quickly than the rest. Resolving to take another break in the hollow, they realized it wasn’t a simple depression in the earth. There was an entrance there in the rock, framed in bricks perfectly carved to fit together with the barest suggestion of a seam. On either side of the doorway stood two large statues of fierce, lion-like creatures, their colors faded. “What are those?” Xihuitl asked, staring at the figures in awe. “They’re called ‘Foo’,” Iuitl answered him. “They’re revered as guardians, and are used as such for many clans and tribes.” “They’re alive?” the Wildclaw asked. To be fair, the sculptures were incredibly life-like. “No,” Iuitl replied, chuckling quietly. “These are statues; artwork.” “Oh,” Xihuitl mumbled, going to take a closer look. Blithe was staring into the darkness of the entryway. “Do you think anyone lives here?” he heard Capricious ask behind him. He turned to look at Baines, who was currently examining the area. “There doesn’t appear to be,” the Mirror answered after a while. “There are no traces of recent traffic, and look; there used to be doors, but they’ve caved in. If someone were living here, they would have fixed them.” Blithe looked back and noticed what Baines was talking about. There was a set of collapsed doors that had long since crumbled away. Really, it looked like they had been bashed in by something and left there to rot. The Spiral shivered. He didn’t want to imagine what had happened to the previous occupants. “We should make sure nothing’s lurking in there; just to be sure,” Baines said. Because of course he had to say something like that. “After you,” Blithe remarked. Baines turned to get Iuitl’s attention. “You and Xihuitl wait out here while Blithe, Capricious and I take a look inside,” he instructed. “Of course,” she nodded, inviting Xihuitl over to tell him a story for his daily lesson. Even Baines’s storm seeker flew off to settle itself on Bree’s back. Apparently, it didn’t much like the idea of going inside either. Blithe didn’t blame it. The three dragons entered the old structure, the interior of which smelled heavily of dust. What was once a smooth floor was now cracked and covered in sand and rubble. They didn’t get far; they soon found their way blocked by a collapse in the rubble. There wasn’t an opening large enough for any of them to get through, not even little Capricious, so they gave up the idea. As they turned to head back, Blithe noticed a small chamber off to the side of the entrance hall. He went to investigate, but all he saw was another of those Foo. “What is it?” Baines asked. “Just another statue,” he replied, shrugging. “Though this one looks like it still has some color. Baines had come over to look in the chamber as well, though his ability to see in the dark wasn’t as good as Blithe’s. He must have been using his heat vision, however, as he suddenly barked out a warning. Before Blithe could do anything, the statue erupted into life. It knocked him straight out of the air and onto his back, a heavy paw compressing his chest. A light illuminated the creature and Blithe caught a glimpse of its orange and white features and its glistening fangs. For a moment, it was staring into him with its deep brown eyes, and in the next, Baines collided with it, knocking it off of him. “Let’s go!” the Mirror said, picking up the Spiral by the scarf. Blithe reanimated and the three of them came running back out. Capricious sent a magical blast behind them as they burst into the open. The rest of the party looked up in alarm. “What-“ Iuitl began to ask. “Just run!” Blithe called out. Luckily, they hadn’t unpacked anything, so the group immediately vacated the area. They stopped at sundown, too exhausted from hunger to continue. Baines kept watch around the perimeter of the camp, but it didn’t appear like they had been followed. “Likely as not, it would not have chased us,” Iuitl told them as they set up camp. “I imagine it attacked because it is guarding something. It wouldn’t stray away from its charge.” “I hope you’re right,” Blithe remarked. “Thought for sure it would rip my head off.” “Don’t say that!” Capricious whined. The way her fins quivered, it made him feel guilty and he quickly apologized. Baines came to join them again once the campfire was burning and Blithe glanced at him. “How’s it looking? We safe?” The Mirror nodded. “As Iuitl said, it is unlikely the beast followed us. Even so, we should be extra cautious during our watch tonight.” “Got it,” Blithe said, chowing down on his meal. He didn’t fancy getting jumped again. [center]***[/center] The Foo shook the fog out of her mind and stood. No longer disoriented, she licked at the shallow wounds on her side, cleaning them. Then she began to sniff around, searching. Soon, she found it; the smell of dragons, a scent that had become a distant memory until now. It was faint, so she opened her mouth to catch more of the scent. She began to follow it, out into the world, out away from the ruin that was no longer her home, devoid of all the things she once guarded. She would find them. ----- [item=pine branch] [columns][img]https://i.imgur.com/XMUEfOA.png[/img][nextcol][size=4]"Have a complaint? I'll take that in [i]writing[/i]."[/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25405911][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/254060/25405911p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][size=4]"[i]You frickin' frackin' son of a-[/i]"[/columns] Anyway. More writing today because the Overlord Pinkerton demands it. Now introducing Blithe's new familiar, though he doesn't know it yet ([i]fu fu fu[/i]). I think I'm so... [i]punny[/i]. [s]Please help me, I don't know what's going on today.[/s] ----- Inventory: Scatter Scroll x1, Breed Change x1 ------ @Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester @AstralDragons Honestly, I feel like I've been really lucky about deaths so far. I did almost lose Baines once, but no one had actually [i]died[/i] until Daimhín. [i]And no seriously, I will absolutely cry if any of the current cast dies.[/i]
Day Thirty Seven:

The somber group was only quieter the next day. Blithe didn’t go down from his vantage point up in the sky like he normally would, stuck in his own thoughts. Even during rest stops, he barely spoke. Instead, he pulled out Daimhín’s maps, absorbing himself in them. He did his best to continue working them as the fawn had, having watched him at least enough to have some understanding. He still kept his marks faint, not entirely confident that they were accurate. Even so, he kept at it even into the next day.

They came to other side of the massive plateau that had spelled Daimhín’s demise, but this side fell away at an angle that, though steep, was not nearly as dangerous. Blithe had to bite back the bitter taste in his mouth at the sight of it. Had the geography been reversed, they would have only had to all glide down from the top, which would have been much smoother than having to fly straight up. They could have all made it then.

The group made its way down slowly, doing their best to get down safely. Iuitl even used this opportunity to teach Xihuitl how to glide with the help of Baines. They would take off just enough to be hovering over the ground as they descended, and whenever the Wildclaw became too anxious or unsteady he would only have to put out his feet and did in his hook claws to stop. Baines would carry Bree so she could keep up, her hoofs not the best at dealing with the terrain. She didn’t much care to be carried and bleated in protest whenever Baines picked her up, but she at least didn’t struggle free.
They soon came to the bottom, having to avoid a section of earth that curved down more quickly than the rest. Resolving to take another break in the hollow, they realized it wasn’t a simple depression in the earth. There was an entrance there in the rock, framed in bricks perfectly carved to fit together with the barest suggestion of a seam. On either side of the doorway stood two large statues of fierce, lion-like creatures, their colors faded.

“What are those?” Xihuitl asked, staring at the figures in awe.

“They’re called ‘Foo’,” Iuitl answered him. “They’re revered as guardians, and are used as such for many clans and tribes.”

“They’re alive?” the Wildclaw asked. To be fair, the sculptures were incredibly life-like.

“No,” Iuitl replied, chuckling quietly. “These are statues; artwork.”

“Oh,” Xihuitl mumbled, going to take a closer look. Blithe was staring into the darkness of the entryway.

“Do you think anyone lives here?” he heard Capricious ask behind him. He turned to look at Baines, who was currently examining the area.

“There doesn’t appear to be,” the Mirror answered after a while. “There are no traces of recent traffic, and look; there used to be doors, but they’ve caved in. If someone were living here, they would have fixed them.”

Blithe looked back and noticed what Baines was talking about. There was a set of collapsed doors that had long since crumbled away. Really, it looked like they had been bashed in by something and left there to rot. The Spiral shivered. He didn’t want to imagine what had happened to the previous occupants.

“We should make sure nothing’s lurking in there; just to be sure,” Baines said. Because of course he had to say something like that.

“After you,” Blithe remarked. Baines turned to get Iuitl’s attention.

“You and Xihuitl wait out here while Blithe, Capricious and I take a look inside,” he instructed.

“Of course,” she nodded, inviting Xihuitl over to tell him a story for his daily lesson. Even Baines’s storm seeker flew off to settle itself on Bree’s back. Apparently, it didn’t much like the idea of going inside either. Blithe didn’t blame it.

The three dragons entered the old structure, the interior of which smelled heavily of dust. What was once a smooth floor was now cracked and covered in sand and rubble. They didn’t get far; they soon found their way blocked by a collapse in the rubble. There wasn’t an opening large enough for any of them to get through, not even little Capricious, so they gave up the idea.

As they turned to head back, Blithe noticed a small chamber off to the side of the entrance hall. He went to investigate, but all he saw was another of those Foo.

“What is it?” Baines asked.

“Just another statue,” he replied, shrugging. “Though this one looks like it still has some color.

Baines had come over to look in the chamber as well, though his ability to see in the dark wasn’t as good as Blithe’s. He must have been using his heat vision, however, as he suddenly barked out a warning. Before Blithe could do anything, the statue erupted into life. It knocked him straight out of the air and onto his back, a heavy paw compressing his chest. A light illuminated the creature and Blithe caught a glimpse of its orange and white features and its glistening fangs. For a moment, it was staring into him with its deep brown eyes, and in the next, Baines collided with it, knocking it off of him.

“Let’s go!” the Mirror said, picking up the Spiral by the scarf. Blithe reanimated and the three of them came running back out. Capricious sent a magical blast behind them as they burst into the open. The rest of the party looked up in alarm.

“What-“ Iuitl began to ask.

“Just run!” Blithe called out. Luckily, they hadn’t unpacked anything, so the group immediately vacated the area.

They stopped at sundown, too exhausted from hunger to continue. Baines kept watch around the perimeter of the camp, but it didn’t appear like they had been followed.

“Likely as not, it would not have chased us,” Iuitl told them as they set up camp. “I imagine it attacked because it is guarding something. It wouldn’t stray away from its charge.”

“I hope you’re right,” Blithe remarked. “Thought for sure it would rip my head off.”

“Don’t say that!” Capricious whined. The way her fins quivered, it made him feel guilty and he quickly apologized. Baines came to join them again once the campfire was burning and Blithe glanced at him.

“How’s it looking? We safe?”

The Mirror nodded. “As Iuitl said, it is unlikely the beast followed us. Even so, we should be extra cautious during our watch tonight.”

“Got it,” Blithe said, chowing down on his meal. He didn’t fancy getting jumped again.
The Foo shook the fog out of her mind and stood. No longer disoriented, she licked at the shallow wounds on her side, cleaning them. Then she began to sniff around, searching. Soon, she found it; the smell of dragons, a scent that had become a distant memory until now. It was faint, so she opened her mouth to catch more of the scent. She began to follow it, out into the world, out away from the ruin that was no longer her home, devoid of all the things she once guarded.

She would find them.
Pine Branch
XMUEfOA.png "Have a complaint? I'll take that in writing."
25405911p.png "You frickin' frackin' son of a-"

Anyway. More writing today because the Overlord Pinkerton demands it.
Now introducing Blithe's new familiar, though he doesn't know it yet (fu fu fu).
I think I'm so... punny.
Please help me, I don't know what's going on today.
@Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester

@AstralDragons Honestly, I feel like I've been really lucky about deaths so far. I did almost lose Baines once, but no one had actually died until Daimhín.
And no seriously, I will absolutely cry if any of the current cast dies.
Hail Pinkerton the Overlord, more writing \(•^•)/
Also, I already love the Foo, just. “oh hey lol may as well move on since everything I protected probably died decades ago”. Big same.
And I would absolutely join you in crying at this point. You’ve already got me invested, darn you.
Hail Pinkerton the Overlord, more writing \(•^•)/
Also, I already love the Foo, just. “oh hey lol may as well move on since everything I protected probably died decades ago”. Big same.
And I would absolutely join you in crying at this point. You’ve already got me invested, darn you.
[b][i]Day Thirty Eight:[/i][/b] Capricious pretended not to notice as Blithe fed Bree yet again, instead busying herself with tidying the campsite. She had struggled to even look at the zeeba the past few days. Whenever she did, she would see them on the ledge, and then Bree kicked back, and Daimhín… She shook the image out of her head again and focused on portioning out the food supplies for everyone else’s meal that night. No one had said anything about it yet, despite her change of behavior being quite apparent. She would occasionally catch Iuitl out of the corner of her eye regarding her with an expression of pity, and if she turned to her, she would open her beak to speak. Capricious would always interrupt whatever she would be about to say with some mundane question about the weather, about their supplies, about Xihuitl’s education. She began to do her best to avoid Iuitl too, after a while. “Hey,” Blithe’s voice said from nearby. Looking up, she realized they were the only two in the camp proper. Baines was out checking the perimeter again, and Iuitl and Xihiutl were nearby on a nearby rise, experimenting with wing positions and the beginnings of lift. “I’m sorry to ask, but are you alright?” “Yes! Just fine,” she answered. He wasn’t deceived by the forced emphasis she had tried to put in her words. He was watching her fins with a keen eye, seeing every subtle movement despite her best efforts to hold them still. “No,” he said quietly. “You’ve stopped taking care of Bree. Whenever Iuitl tries to ask, you brush her off. What’s going on?” She wilted a bit in front of him, turning back to the makeshift plates of food which she began to arrange meticulously with unnecessary precision. All the while, her fins were quivering and twitching and drooping, giving her away. “It was Bree,” she finally confessed, no longer able to contain it. “She kicked him off. I watched her. If it wasn’t for her, Daimhín-“ She stopped a moment, choking on her words. “He’d still be alive.” “She was panicking; she’s just an animal, she doesn’t know any better,” Blithe said quietly. “I know,” Capricious croaked, covering her face with her claws. “I know. But if we didn’t have Bree- if I hadn’t insisted on bringing her along-“ “Whoa whoa whoa,” Blithe stopped her, pulling her claws away from his face. His large, purple eyes filled her vision, and once he was sure she wouldn’t look away, he continued. “Listen, alright? This was no one’s fault. Not Bree’s, not [i]yours[/i]. It was an accident.” He stopped and blinked, his own eyes becoming glossy. “It was- it was [i]tragic[/i], but it was [i]no one’s fault[/i]. Ok?” She glanced down, only nodding minutely and he craned his head around to make eye contact again. “Repeat after me; ‘It is not my fault.’” She barely breathed the words at first, but he insisted she try again until she said it out loud. “[i]It is not my fault.[/i]” He would have let go of her, but she rested her forehead on his scarf, not willing to stare in the eye while she cried. So instead, he folded his wings around her in a cautious hug until she stopped shaking. They parted at the sound of someone returning, but Baines didn’t say anything as he settled down by the fire, his storm seeker perching on his back. “You ever going to name that thing?” Blithe asked, settling himself down next to the Mirror. “I was hoping it would have gotten bored and left by now,” Baines huffed, giving the bird a sidelong look. “You’d think if you really wanted it gone, you’d have stopped feeding it,” Blithe teased. Baines grunted in a noncommittal way. “I’ll think of a name tomorrow.” “[i]Sure [/i]you will.” Having seen the others around the fire, Iuitl and Xihuitl returned from their practice so they could all eat. Once they had finished and were settling down to sleep for the night, Capricious paused as she went past Bree. Delicately, she reached out a claw and patted the dozing zeeba on the nose. Bree’s eyes snapped open, but relaxed again when she saw who the owner of the claw was. She pushed her soft nose up into the Fae’s palm; an odd gesture she’d never done before. As if she was trying to apologize for herself. Feeling a wave of sympathy, Capricious reached out and hugged the zeeba around the neck. [i]It wasn’t her fault.[/i] ----- [item=grey basalt] So. Emotions. And stuff. Yeah. That's pretty much my thoughts on this right now. Uh. Enjoy? ----- Inventory: Scatter Scroll x1, Breed Change x1 ----- @Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester @AstralDragons [i]Ke ke ke, my master plan is working![/i]
Day Thirty Eight:

Capricious pretended not to notice as Blithe fed Bree yet again, instead busying herself with tidying the campsite. She had struggled to even look at the zeeba the past few days. Whenever she did, she would see them on the ledge, and then Bree kicked back, and Daimhín…

She shook the image out of her head again and focused on portioning out the food supplies for everyone else’s meal that night. No one had said anything about it yet, despite her change of behavior being quite apparent. She would occasionally catch Iuitl out of the corner of her eye regarding her with an expression of pity, and if she turned to her, she would open her beak to speak. Capricious would always interrupt whatever she would be about to say with some mundane question about the weather, about their supplies, about Xihuitl’s education. She began to do her best to avoid Iuitl too, after a while.

“Hey,” Blithe’s voice said from nearby. Looking up, she realized they were the only two in the camp proper. Baines was out checking the perimeter again, and Iuitl and Xihiutl were nearby on a nearby rise, experimenting with wing positions and the beginnings of lift. “I’m sorry to ask, but are you alright?”

“Yes! Just fine,” she answered. He wasn’t deceived by the forced emphasis she had tried to put in her words. He was watching her fins with a keen eye, seeing every subtle movement despite her best efforts to hold them still.

“No,” he said quietly. “You’ve stopped taking care of Bree. Whenever Iuitl tries to ask, you brush her off. What’s going on?”

She wilted a bit in front of him, turning back to the makeshift plates of food which she began to arrange meticulously with unnecessary precision. All the while, her fins were quivering and twitching and drooping, giving her away.

“It was Bree,” she finally confessed, no longer able to contain it. “She kicked him off. I watched her. If it wasn’t for her, Daimhín-“ She stopped a moment, choking on her words. “He’d still be alive.”

“She was panicking; she’s just an animal, she doesn’t know any better,” Blithe said quietly.

“I know,” Capricious croaked, covering her face with her claws. “I know. But if we didn’t have Bree- if I hadn’t insisted on bringing her along-“

“Whoa whoa whoa,” Blithe stopped her, pulling her claws away from his face. His large, purple eyes filled her vision, and once he was sure she wouldn’t look away, he continued. “Listen, alright? This was no one’s fault. Not Bree’s, not yours. It was an accident.” He stopped and blinked, his own eyes becoming glossy. “It was- it was tragic, but it was no one’s fault. Ok?” She glanced down, only nodding minutely and he craned his head around to make eye contact again. “Repeat after me; ‘It is not my fault.’”

She barely breathed the words at first, but he insisted she try again until she said it out loud. “It is not my fault.

He would have let go of her, but she rested her forehead on his scarf, not willing to stare in the eye while she cried. So instead, he folded his wings around her in a cautious hug until she stopped shaking. They parted at the sound of someone returning, but Baines didn’t say anything as he settled down by the fire, his storm seeker perching on his back.

“You ever going to name that thing?” Blithe asked, settling himself down next to the Mirror.

“I was hoping it would have gotten bored and left by now,” Baines huffed, giving the bird a sidelong look.

“You’d think if you really wanted it gone, you’d have stopped feeding it,” Blithe teased. Baines grunted in a noncommittal way.

“I’ll think of a name tomorrow.”

Sure you will.”

Having seen the others around the fire, Iuitl and Xihuitl returned from their practice so they could all eat. Once they had finished and were settling down to sleep for the night, Capricious paused as she went past Bree. Delicately, she reached out a claw and patted the dozing zeeba on the nose. Bree’s eyes snapped open, but relaxed again when she saw who the owner of the claw was. She pushed her soft nose up into the Fae’s palm; an odd gesture she’d never done before. As if she was trying to apologize for herself. Feeling a wave of sympathy, Capricious reached out and hugged the zeeba around the neck.

It wasn’t her fault.
Grey Basalt
So. Emotions. And stuff. Yeah. That's pretty much my thoughts on this right now.
Uh. Enjoy?

@AstralDragons Ke ke ke, my master plan is working!
Great now I’m emotional at work bc of Capricious and Blithe

Again, fantastic work!! I see that the Overlord demanded some more character development today fjgkgk thanks Pink!!
Great now I’m emotional at work bc of Capricious and Blithe

Again, fantastic work!! I see that the Overlord demanded some more character development today fjgkgk thanks Pink!!
[b][i]Day Thirty Nine:[/i][/b] [center][item=handful of sprockets] [i]Finally! I get to draw![/i] [img]https://i.imgur.com/dyPpigX.png[/img] And today was not the greatest day to try orz. I'm really unhappy with how this turned out. Had a really rough night, so I've just kinda been exhausted today. Might try again later, but not today. Sorry Xi, hopefully I can do better once I feel less like garbage ;n;. ----- Inventory: Scatter Scroll x1, Breed Change x1 ----- @Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester @AstralDragons
Day Thirty Nine:
Handful of Sprockets
Finally! I get to draw!
dyPpigX.png
And today was not the greatest day to try orz. I'm really unhappy with how this turned out. Had a really rough night, so I've just kinda been exhausted today. Might try again later, but not today.
Sorry Xi, hopefully I can do better once I feel less like garbage ;n;.
@Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester @AstralDragons
God, I love how soft your art style feels. Please take care and don’t push yourself too hard!!!
God, I love how soft your art style feels. Please take care and don’t push yourself too hard!!!
Oh my goodness I found this pinkerlocke after checking in on a dragon you bought from me (he makes a great exaltee for the Stormcatcher! [emoji=ridgeback happy]) and I immediately was hooked! You are so good at bringing your characters to life, every update had me hanging onto every word, I love how you incorporate all of the onsite lore elements! I am in love with all of these dragons and I must admit I will be utterly heartbroken if any of the die... [emoji=tundra sad] Could I be added to the pinglist? I can't wait to see where this goes and I want to be here every step of the way! It will help get me hyped for my own upcoming pinkerlocke! [emoji=spiral laughing]
Oh my goodness I found this pinkerlocke after checking in on a dragon you bought from me (he makes a great exaltee for the Stormcatcher! ) and I immediately was hooked! You are so good at bringing your characters to life, every update had me hanging onto every word, I love how you incorporate all of the onsite lore elements! I am in love with all of these dragons and I must admit I will be utterly heartbroken if any of the die...

Could I be added to the pinglist? I can't wait to see where this goes and I want to be here every step of the way! It will help get me hyped for my own upcoming pinkerlocke!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[b][i]Day Forty:[/i][/b] [center][item=seaberry] Rolled Capricious, Xihuitl, and Blithe for coli day. Seriously, I think this die is biased towards the number 2. Only went the min 10 rounds, cause any more and Capricious would be level 14 and I'm not ready for that :I. ----- Inventory: Scatter Scroll x1, Breed Change x1 ----- @Weredogalism @Riff @Skulljester @AstralDragons I love doing this airbrush style~. I sometimes feel like line work is way to rigid. @Petall Added you to the pinglist! Welcome aboard! Glad you're enjoying it so far and thank you for all the kind words~!
Day Forty:
Seaberry
Rolled Capricious, Xihuitl, and Blithe for coli day.
Seriously, I think this die is biased towards the number 2. Only went the min 10 rounds, cause any more and Capricious would be level 14 and I'm not ready for that :I.

@AstralDragons I love doing this airbrush style~. I sometimes feel like line work is way to rigid.

@Petall Added you to the pinglist! Welcome aboard! Glad you're enjoying it so far and thank you for all the kind words~!
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 88 89