Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The new or the old Lion King?
1 2 3 4
I really liked both of them, just saw the live-action a few hours ago so here are some of my thoughts on it, since we all know about the original:

- I know a lot of people felt like the characters' faces lacked emotion, but I think that the acting helped boost it back up (in most cases, anyway). But the facial expressions other wise looked amazing; I've had cats basically my whole life, so a lot of the scenes felt really life-like with the detail that went into every animation.
- The soundtrack and voice-acting were good, aside from Be Prepared. I had my doubts about Beyoncé and a few others, but I was pleasantly surprised (although some of the songs lacked the emotion of the original).
- I love how similar the plot was; I was worried that it would go completely off course, or down a more mediocre track like some of the previous live actions went. Mufasa's death was just as heartbreaking to watch imo.

I think that everyone who's giving their thoughts without even seeing the new one should at least watch it first- it pleasantly surprised me anyway :) they both were just as good, in their own way. I grew up with the original, yes, but that doesn't mean that change is bad, either. The live action had beautiful animation as well as adding it's own touch to The Lion King.
I really liked both of them, just saw the live-action a few hours ago so here are some of my thoughts on it, since we all know about the original:

- I know a lot of people felt like the characters' faces lacked emotion, but I think that the acting helped boost it back up (in most cases, anyway). But the facial expressions other wise looked amazing; I've had cats basically my whole life, so a lot of the scenes felt really life-like with the detail that went into every animation.
- The soundtrack and voice-acting were good, aside from Be Prepared. I had my doubts about Beyoncé and a few others, but I was pleasantly surprised (although some of the songs lacked the emotion of the original).
- I love how similar the plot was; I was worried that it would go completely off course, or down a more mediocre track like some of the previous live actions went. Mufasa's death was just as heartbreaking to watch imo.

I think that everyone who's giving their thoughts without even seeing the new one should at least watch it first- it pleasantly surprised me anyway :) they both were just as good, in their own way. I grew up with the original, yes, but that doesn't mean that change is bad, either. The live action had beautiful animation as well as adding it's own touch to The Lion King.
[quote name="LuciDatum" date="2019-07-22 11:56:03" ] I'm going to watch the new one today, but I'm betting I'll prefer the original. My only hangup for the remake is that the characters look... underwhelming? Especially Scar... real lions can have black manes, why not Scar himself? Keep it matty and nasty but just... black mane- And by that I mean the genetic defect, not the darker manes being healthier, of course x3 That isn't including the lack of differentiation imbetween unique characters Sacrificing characterization for realism is a no-no, imo, but seeing it realistically is pretty cool I guess [/quote] OKAY So. After watching it, I can proudly say the the original is [b]better[/b]. Now, I like that they're doing this, to show a new generation, but the CGI always bothered me. I'm an artist that animates in a certain way, so the idea of animation I enjoy is not realism - it's expressionism. I saw one case of proper emotion throughout the film, and that's the very end of it, where Simba looks down in horror at going against what he originally said. If I'm remembering right, that was an accident, and should have been retribution. I did like the new jokes and tidbits, so it is worth a watch, but watch it not in the theater? It's not worth the big screen. Be Prepared IS in the movie as well. It's also about 30 seconds long. Sad. The voice actors irked me as well. I don't know their names, but young Simba starts with a generic ghetto accent while young Nala sounds like an American accent, and then adult Simba sounds like a surfer dude and adult Nala sounds like she's from Wakanda. Make up your mind, if you're going to choose an accent. Also Scar has a black mane. Just didn't show itself in the trailers- TL;DR - Watch it at home, just don't be disappointed-
LuciDatum wrote on 2019-07-22 11:56:03:
I'm going to watch the new one today, but I'm betting I'll prefer the original. My only hangup for the remake is that the characters look... underwhelming? Especially Scar... real lions can have black manes, why not Scar himself? Keep it matty and nasty but just... black mane-

And by that I mean the genetic defect, not the darker manes being healthier, of course x3

That isn't including the lack of differentiation imbetween unique characters
Sacrificing characterization for realism is a no-no, imo, but seeing it realistically is pretty cool I guess

OKAY
So. After watching it, I can proudly say the the original is better.
Now, I like that they're doing this, to show a new generation, but the CGI always bothered me. I'm an artist that animates in a certain way, so the idea of animation I enjoy is not realism - it's expressionism. I saw one case of proper emotion throughout the film, and that's the very end of it, where Simba looks down in horror at going against what he originally said. If I'm remembering right, that was an accident, and should have been retribution.
I did like the new jokes and tidbits, so it is worth a watch, but watch it not in the theater? It's not worth the big screen.
Be Prepared IS in the movie as well. It's also about 30 seconds long. Sad.
The voice actors irked me as well. I don't know their names, but young Simba starts with a generic ghetto accent while young Nala sounds like an American accent, and then adult Simba sounds like a surfer dude and adult Nala sounds like she's from Wakanda. Make up your mind, if you're going to choose an accent.
Also Scar has a black mane. Just didn't show itself in the trailers-

TL;DR - Watch it at home, just don't be disappointed-

~Void~
~They | It~
~FR+2~
~Chaos Incarnate~
xxxx pink_flipp_117x100.png xxxxx pidgeadoptOrisasig1.png
xxxxxx
Art Shop
Cauldron Services
Wishlist
[quote name="Zoic" date="2019-07-22 19:09:45" ] [quote name="LuciDatum" date="2019-07-22 15:00:21" ] The voice actors irked me as well. I don't know their names, but young Simba starts with a generic ghetto accent while young Nala sounds like an American accent, and then adult Simba sounds like a surfer dude and adult Nala sounds like she's from Wakanda. Make up your mind, if you're going to choose an accent. [/quote] I understand (but respectfully disagree) if you didn’t like the voice actors, but calling them “ghetto” strikes me as rather inconsiderate and in bad taste. JD McCrary (young Simba) is a very talented performer for his age- and he’s only 12. There’s no need to insult his “accent” just because you personally didn’t think it was consistent throughout the film. [/quote] Talented or not, he truely sounds purposely downgraded (which is a good term to replace ghetto with) i assume its true that all voice actors got told to turn thier emotions in voice some knocks down as this rumor is spreading around yt atm. This might caused the generic sounding accent, as he was not allowed to express himself aka Simba more fittint to the situation (not the facial expression as those lack hard) the kid is good, but like any other voice actor we should not sugar coat when one feels like they dont did thier best in a role, he could have done so much better from what i hear from the movies & songs gave his voice to.
Zoic wrote on 2019-07-22 19:09:45:
LuciDatum wrote on 2019-07-22 15:00:21:
The voice actors irked me as well. I don't know their names, but young Simba starts with a generic ghetto accent while young Nala sounds like an American accent, and then adult Simba sounds like a surfer dude and adult Nala sounds like she's from Wakanda. Make up your mind, if you're going to choose an accent.
I understand (but respectfully disagree) if you didn’t like the voice actors, but calling them “ghetto” strikes me as rather inconsiderate and in bad taste. JD McCrary (young Simba) is a very talented performer for his age- and he’s only 12. There’s no need to insult his “accent” just because you personally didn’t think it was consistent throughout the film.

Talented or not, he truely sounds purposely downgraded (which is a good term to replace ghetto with) i assume its true that all voice actors got told to turn thier emotions in voice some knocks down as this rumor is spreading around yt atm.
This might caused the generic sounding accent, as he was not allowed to express himself aka Simba more fittint to the situation (not the facial expression as those lack hard)

the kid is good, but like any other voice actor we should not sugar coat when one feels like they dont did thier best in a role, he could have done so much better from what i hear from the movies & songs gave his voice to.
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__
f44Zu0R.gif

[quote name="LuciDatum" date="2019-07-22 11:56:03" ] I'm going to watch the new one today, but I'm betting I'll prefer the original. My only hangup for the remake is that the characters look... underwhelming? Especially Scar... real lions can have black manes, why not Scar himself? Keep it matty and nasty but just... black mane- And by that I mean the genetic defect, not the darker manes being healthier, of course x3 That isn't including the lack of differentiation imbetween unique characters Sacrificing characterization for realism is a no-no, imo, but seeing it realistically is pretty cool I guess Proof of black manes: [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/5802/21805273385_22ab48d65b_b.jpg[/img] [img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/ANAD1M/side-view-portrait-of-male-lion-with-patchy-black-mane-and-bloodied-ANAD1M.jpg[/img] It could have been this- [/quote] Scar is not the dominant male. Dominant males have black or dark manes which lion ladies love.
LuciDatum wrote on 2019-07-22 11:56:03:
I'm going to watch the new one today, but I'm betting I'll prefer the original. My only hangup for the remake is that the characters look... underwhelming? Especially Scar... real lions can have black manes, why not Scar himself? Keep it matty and nasty but just... black mane-

And by that I mean the genetic defect, not the darker manes being healthier, of course x3

That isn't including the lack of differentiation imbetween unique characters
Sacrificing characterization for realism is a no-no, imo, but seeing it realistically is pretty cool I guess

Proof of black manes:
21805273385_22ab48d65b_b.jpg
side-view-portrait-of-male-lion-with-patchy-black-mane-and-bloodied-ANAD1M.jpg
It could have been this-

Scar is not the dominant male. Dominant males have black or dark manes which lion ladies love.
sig-1-new.pngdivider-up.png
-V e r i d i s Q u o-
kovske.gif
Brazil | EN/PT/RUS |time-flight-icon-very-tiny.png

» Fake FR Breed Workshop
»
Wishlist
»PWYW ART SHOP
»Clan Lore WIP
divider-up.png
48517330.png

Synesthetic - Artist - Style flexible
• They/Them - He/Him/It • Prev. Solifugespace
small-hourglass.png
[quote name="Yuubi" date="2019-07-23 09:52:42" ] the kid is good, but like any other voice actor we should not sugar coat when one feels like they dont did thier best in a role, he could have done so much better from what i hear from the movies & songs gave his voice to. [/quote] That’s fair to say! I enjoyed the voice cast of both the original and the remake, but I understand that not everyone feels the same way. I just objected to the original poster’s word choice.
Yuubi wrote on 2019-07-23 09:52:42:
the kid is good, but like any other voice actor we should not sugar coat when one feels like they dont did thier best in a role, he could have done so much better from what i hear from the movies & songs gave his voice to.
That’s fair to say! I enjoyed the voice cast of both the original and the remake, but I understand that not everyone feels the same way. I just objected to the original poster’s word choice.
iuEBSJ3.png
Fnrx3wS.png
gYW0j5f.png
ARAxlYW.png
Ravi-Resized.png
The remake isn't half bad. It's accurate in the plot, but I find the realistic style a bit boring. For example, who could forget the bright, colorful, and extravagant animations from I Just Can't Wait to Be King in the original? The remake, being realistic, cannot go as far in the visual effects and color department. So the remake lacks charm in that way.

Which is why I prefer the original. The remake cannot replace the charisma and identity that the original has.
The remake isn't half bad. It's accurate in the plot, but I find the realistic style a bit boring. For example, who could forget the bright, colorful, and extravagant animations from I Just Can't Wait to Be King in the original? The remake, being realistic, cannot go as far in the visual effects and color department. So the remake lacks charm in that way.

Which is why I prefer the original. The remake cannot replace the charisma and identity that the original has.
Fishes ____ she/her | +3 FR time | wishlist | avatar
ra01-icon-goldfish.gif s02-icon-whale.gif
Original, the new one looks wayyy too dull.
Original, the new one looks wayyy too dull.
2KwZtRK.png7nppAyR.png
Original. Just cause Disney can CGI everything, doesn't mean they should.

Original. Just cause Disney can CGI everything, doesn't mean they should.

tDAcVLz.png
the original one hundred percent of course!!

TLK has always been my favorite disney movie- it was one of the only movies my grandma owned and as a kid whenever i went to her house i would watch it, plus i watched my own copy endlessly. i've seen that movie a lot is the bottom line, and it's held a very special place in my heart for at least ten years now. the first blanket i ever owned, and still use, was TLK print!!
anyway, i can't believe they made such an emotionless, unoriginal, money-grabbing movie and had the audacity to call it a remake of the lion king. that movie is irreplaceable and absolutely didn't need the remake. i mean, CGI isn't bad, but i will forever prefer 2D animation and for older movies to be kept classic and untouched.
i have a lot of strong feelings about the lion king
the original one hundred percent of course!!

TLK has always been my favorite disney movie- it was one of the only movies my grandma owned and as a kid whenever i went to her house i would watch it, plus i watched my own copy endlessly. i've seen that movie a lot is the bottom line, and it's held a very special place in my heart for at least ten years now. the first blanket i ever owned, and still use, was TLK print!!
anyway, i can't believe they made such an emotionless, unoriginal, money-grabbing movie and had the audacity to call it a remake of the lion king. that movie is irreplaceable and absolutely didn't need the remake. i mean, CGI isn't bad, but i will forever prefer 2D animation and for older movies to be kept classic and untouched.
i have a lot of strong feelings about the lion king
far and away the original, I mean you're comparing a classic to a cash grab that was essentially a shot-for-shot copy of the original, but without any of the expression and creativity.

tbf the remake delivered perfectly on what it was supposed to be: the CGI was excellent and I thought the voice acting was good. but it's the concept itself that kills this movie, something produced only to make money was always going to wind up flat and soulless.

I'm really curious about how this performed with its target audience though, I can't imagine this was very appealing to kids? ofc families went to see it bc it was so heavily marketed but I just can't see "national geographic documentary with celebrity voiceovers" being something most younger children would get much out of, especially compared against the color and liveliness of the original.
far and away the original, I mean you're comparing a classic to a cash grab that was essentially a shot-for-shot copy of the original, but without any of the expression and creativity.

tbf the remake delivered perfectly on what it was supposed to be: the CGI was excellent and I thought the voice acting was good. but it's the concept itself that kills this movie, something produced only to make money was always going to wind up flat and soulless.

I'm really curious about how this performed with its target audience though, I can't imagine this was very appealing to kids? ofc families went to see it bc it was so heavily marketed but I just can't see "national geographic documentary with celebrity voiceovers" being something most younger children would get much out of, especially compared against the color and liveliness of the original.
wpEE9mo.png
1 2 3 4