Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book recommendations?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
Ansible series (This is hard to search for on even Amazon, so remember that the author is Stant Litore. This is a short story series that is collected in two seasons. In the future, mankind has learned not only telepathy, but how to project their minds into other creatures. This details their faulty means of doing so to greet humans and aliens in other parts of the galaxy. There is a heavy middle east culture POV here, but the very least you'll be doing is looking up a couple of terms.)

Old Man's War (Love Starship Troopers? This is a book for you! It's sort of a new take on that sort of concept, and as a plus many parts are LGBTQ friendly. Thie elderly sign up to fight aliens for human colonies in space, with the prize being an entirely new body and lease on life if they survive the tour of duty.)

Freedom's Fire and it's series (The world is already taken over by flawed aliens, and North Korea which is now just Korea because they bowed to the aliens first. Earth is on it's very last legs, being bled for as many resources and people it has as the aliens are in a losing war. The main character is a malcontent who secretly plots to overthrow everyone and get Earth back to the people. The main deal here is the writing, which has a unique style that sounds like he's right in front of you telling war stories. This series usually comes cheap with the first book being a dollar, so pick that one up first to check it out.)

Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (A classic in the space western books. This follows a bounty hunter as he hunts down the one no one can kill, the worst criminal of them all, who is just as much myth as man. If you like books that talk about how legends influence people and things more on the fantasy end of sci-fi, pick this up. The writer also has tons of books, so you've probably heard of him.)

Goblin Star series (It's magic, it's space. It's all in one! It's... quite unique so it's hard to describe, but yes this is a space opera with runes, elves, dragons, you name it.)

EDIT: Because it's almost always inherently linked with Sci-Fi and Fantasy, I'm going to put up some comics too.

Sandman (A shorter, self contained fare that's just as much novel as it is comic. This uses some really neat tricks and it needs them, because this comic is about the Endless named Dream and his dealings. Also has a few spinoffs from here which are worth picking up, notably any book with Death in it and Lucifer. The latter is more paced like a normal comic.)

Uncanny X-Men Masterworks series (Start here instead of issue #1. Jack Kirby is awesome, but pick up The Fantastic Four instead for that. Picking the comic back up after it was almost dead, these collections of 70s-80s material has everything the franchise in general seems to care about, outside of stuff that happened in the 2010s and the later parts of Wolverine's solo career. God Loves, Man Kills, Dark Phoenix, Future Past, and with art that mostly holds up. Want to start with anything in X-Men? Here you go.)
Ansible series (This is hard to search for on even Amazon, so remember that the author is Stant Litore. This is a short story series that is collected in two seasons. In the future, mankind has learned not only telepathy, but how to project their minds into other creatures. This details their faulty means of doing so to greet humans and aliens in other parts of the galaxy. There is a heavy middle east culture POV here, but the very least you'll be doing is looking up a couple of terms.)

Old Man's War (Love Starship Troopers? This is a book for you! It's sort of a new take on that sort of concept, and as a plus many parts are LGBTQ friendly. Thie elderly sign up to fight aliens for human colonies in space, with the prize being an entirely new body and lease on life if they survive the tour of duty.)

Freedom's Fire and it's series (The world is already taken over by flawed aliens, and North Korea which is now just Korea because they bowed to the aliens first. Earth is on it's very last legs, being bled for as many resources and people it has as the aliens are in a losing war. The main character is a malcontent who secretly plots to overthrow everyone and get Earth back to the people. The main deal here is the writing, which has a unique style that sounds like he's right in front of you telling war stories. This series usually comes cheap with the first book being a dollar, so pick that one up first to check it out.)

Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (A classic in the space western books. This follows a bounty hunter as he hunts down the one no one can kill, the worst criminal of them all, who is just as much myth as man. If you like books that talk about how legends influence people and things more on the fantasy end of sci-fi, pick this up. The writer also has tons of books, so you've probably heard of him.)

Goblin Star series (It's magic, it's space. It's all in one! It's... quite unique so it's hard to describe, but yes this is a space opera with runes, elves, dragons, you name it.)

EDIT: Because it's almost always inherently linked with Sci-Fi and Fantasy, I'm going to put up some comics too.

Sandman (A shorter, self contained fare that's just as much novel as it is comic. This uses some really neat tricks and it needs them, because this comic is about the Endless named Dream and his dealings. Also has a few spinoffs from here which are worth picking up, notably any book with Death in it and Lucifer. The latter is more paced like a normal comic.)

Uncanny X-Men Masterworks series (Start here instead of issue #1. Jack Kirby is awesome, but pick up The Fantastic Four instead for that. Picking the comic back up after it was almost dead, these collections of 70s-80s material has everything the franchise in general seems to care about, outside of stuff that happened in the 2010s and the later parts of Wolverine's solo career. God Loves, Man Kills, Dark Phoenix, Future Past, and with art that mostly holds up. Want to start with anything in X-Men? Here you go.)
My writing project.
The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd is a fantastic read and I think it's part of a series??

And one of my absolute favourite series of all time is The Kiesha'ra Series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. The first book is Hawksong and honestly I reread it constantly because it's amazingly written and just an all-around good book.
The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd is a fantastic read and I think it's part of a series??

And one of my absolute favourite series of all time is The Kiesha'ra Series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. The first book is Hawksong and honestly I reread it constantly because it's amazingly written and just an all-around good book.
R6ZJKtW.gif
A FAQs
Buying Maroon Tert G1s
Tarot Shop
Wishlist
Clan Lore
AAAAAAAAAAA qC8XNby.png
I second the Old Man's War recommendation. John Scalzi wrote another book Redshirts, which is equally good. I also second the Discworld series recommendation. They're so good!

Then there's The Bone Season series by Samantha Shannon. It's currently at three books, but there's no way the end of book three is the end of the series. Katherine Arden's Winternight series, starting with The Bear and the Nightingale is a sort of alternate Russian history with strong fantasy elements. Finished the second one and immediately ordered the third from Waterstones.
I second the Old Man's War recommendation. John Scalzi wrote another book Redshirts, which is equally good. I also second the Discworld series recommendation. They're so good!

Then there's The Bone Season series by Samantha Shannon. It's currently at three books, but there's no way the end of book three is the end of the series. Katherine Arden's Winternight series, starting with The Bear and the Nightingale is a sort of alternate Russian history with strong fantasy elements. Finished the second one and immediately ordered the third from Waterstones.
iiaMf9J.png
The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It's a door-stopper of a novel, but the world building is fantastic, and it's a standalone.

Seraphina and Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. There's a very interesting take on dragons in this series. She has a spinoff/sequel to these called Tess of the Road, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Jot me down as another recommendation for Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. They are a classic and you can't go wrong with them.

Uprooted and Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. I love fairy tale-esque books and these two knock it out of the park.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin. I had to read this for a speculative fiction class in college and it's one of my favorite sci-fi books. I also had to read Kindred by Octavia Butler for that course, and I'll recommend that one as well.

Finally, though not quite fantasy, I'm going to recommend The Song of Achilles and Circe by Madeline Miller. They're essentially the stories of Patroclus from the Iliad and Circe from the Odyssey, respectively.
The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It's a door-stopper of a novel, but the world building is fantastic, and it's a standalone.

Seraphina and Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. There's a very interesting take on dragons in this series. She has a spinoff/sequel to these called Tess of the Road, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Jot me down as another recommendation for Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. They are a classic and you can't go wrong with them.

Uprooted and Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. I love fairy tale-esque books and these two knock it out of the park.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin. I had to read this for a speculative fiction class in college and it's one of my favorite sci-fi books. I also had to read Kindred by Octavia Butler for that course, and I'll recommend that one as well.

Finally, though not quite fantasy, I'm going to recommend The Song of Achilles and Circe by Madeline Miller. They're essentially the stories of Patroclus from the Iliad and Circe from the Odyssey, respectively.
Audiomachine station on Pandora
Audiomachine station on Pandora
Grace of Nation I suppose. I am not a fan of historical novels but it was only one that was really good to read. I study at college and I am the future teacher but it was hard to write reviews about this book after all ( it was my assignment) so I asked for some help and I got whatever I need. After Grace of Nation I started read more hostorical book because I reallu liked it.
Grace of Nation I suppose. I am not a fan of historical novels but it was only one that was really good to read. I study at college and I am the future teacher but it was hard to write reviews about this book after all ( it was my assignment) so I asked for some help and I got whatever I need. After Grace of Nation I started read more hostorical book because I reallu liked it.

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi - humanities only hope is a sheep to save them from an alien invasion; one of my favorites personally

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi - humanities only hope is a sheep to save them from an alien invasion; one of my favorites personally

tumblr_nuxtn9HLSs1uacd6oo1_1280.png
[quote name="Vlada" date="2019-06-27 11:04:45" ] The Android's Dream by John Scalzi - humanities only hope is a sheep to save them from an alien invasion; one of my favorites personally [/quote] I like books about aliens. And I suppose I would like this book too. Worth reading?
Vlada wrote on 2019-06-27 11:04:45:
I like books about aliens. And I suppose I would like this book too. Worth reading?
I recommend the entire Grishaverse series by Leigh Bardugo! there's the Shadow and Bone trilogy first, then the Six of Crows duology, then there's Language of Thorns which is a book with a bunch of folk tales in the Grishaverse, and most recently, King of Scars! it ends on a cliffhanger, but it's so good. it follows the Shadow and Bone trilogy. love them all to death!

I bet someone already recommended it already, lol
I recommend the entire Grishaverse series by Leigh Bardugo! there's the Shadow and Bone trilogy first, then the Six of Crows duology, then there's Language of Thorns which is a book with a bunch of folk tales in the Grishaverse, and most recently, King of Scars! it ends on a cliffhanger, but it's so good. it follows the Shadow and Bone trilogy. love them all to death!

I bet someone already recommended it already, lol
+16 fr time
maxed cauldron!
BE GAY DO CRIME ;;D
You should try reading Wings of Fire!
You should try reading Wings of Fire!
Hey yall I'm back!
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14