Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book recommendations?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
What's your preferred reading level? Any subgenres you're looking for?

I'm mid sci-fi binge myself, but some of what I'd recommend is either more for older audiences (not for THAT reason usually, but still not for younguns) or is gonna get weird and silly (Hitchhiker's Guide is a must read regardless, imo)
What's your preferred reading level? Any subgenres you're looking for?

I'm mid sci-fi binge myself, but some of what I'd recommend is either more for older audiences (not for THAT reason usually, but still not for younguns) or is gonna get weird and silly (Hitchhiker's Guide is a must read regardless, imo)
cL9yafY.gif
@Oranitha - I read anywhere from middle grade to adult!! ^^

Sci-fi and fantasy is awesome!
@Oranitha - I read anywhere from middle grade to adult!! ^^

Sci-fi and fantasy is awesome!
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
Hunger games

Divergent

Both sci fi
Hunger games

Divergent

Both sci fi
5iXiC8z.png
szLFrpq.png
jA5A7gu.png
cutkr0S.png
fkWjutW.png
QG3ZDTL.png
@oranitha couple of my faces
Divergent
The night gardener
The twilight series
The percey Jackson series
The Kane crocinles
The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd
Matrix
@oranitha couple of my faces
Divergent
The night gardener
The twilight series
The percey Jackson series
The Kane crocinles
The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd
Matrix
FoxScara.png
If you're into sci-fi, the Gaea trilogy is really good imo. Just prepare yourself beforehand for some heavy themes
If you're into sci-fi, the Gaea trilogy is really good imo. Just prepare yourself beforehand for some heavy themes
image0.png
@FoxScara Did you mean to ping me or Faasnu?

@Faasnu Excellent! So just for clarity cuz my phrasing was super unclear, sci-fi and fantasy as genres have subgenres (hard sci-fi, high fantasy, etc.) So I'll just recommend general stuff for now!

Sci-Fi:
I'm starting with some hard sci-fi for safety. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is normally only heard in context of reading assignments, which is a damned shame! Jules Verne's love for nature and sympathy for his fellow man elevate this above most other hard sci-fi for me (most other books in general). Honestly, his vision of submarine travel is so spot-on that I constantly forgot that, in his time, this book was obvious as a work of incredible imagination (and research), though the march of progress has done nothing to dull his undersea world. It starts slow, and there will be lists of fish species. No you won't be quizzed on the fish thing, that's Verne being really excited about fish and we should support him in that.

I'll repeat the rec for Hitchhiker's Guide. It's a delightfully silly, often satirical romp through the galaxy. It's also infiltrated pop culture, go make friends with nerds by calling them hoopy froods. Fun, easy, engaging read. No more spoilers, best experienced blind...Depending on who you ask, there's either 5 books (penned by Adams) or 6 (one more written by Eoin Colfor). Speaking of Eoin!

Sci-Fi/Fantasy:
While I've never managed to get into it, people keep telling me the Artemis Fowl series is great. It's targeted more towards middle grade/YA, one of the few SciFantasy series I know in the age range, and definitely the most popular.

I saw a rec for the Inheritance cycle and I don't want to sound like I'm dissing that, but there's no other way to explain this, so...The Dragonriders of Pern is a cornerstone of sci-fantasy (though plenty of folks have argued with me it's pure sci-fi or pure fantasy) and introduces a lot of things that Inheritance gets credit for, including the bond between dragon and rider. Pern's dragons also slip to a space between spaces to teleport, and are used as living weapons to stave off an extraplanetary rain of mindless, all-consuming Thread. The only one in the list I'm flagging as having "adult content." It doesn't add anything to the plot, feel free to skip.

Fantasy:
It ain't a fantasy recommendation list without Discworld! Seriously, can't believe I'm first to bring these up. The series is absolutely legendary, think of it in some sense as a kindred spirit to the Hitchhiker's Guide in having plenty of genuinely excellent humor, but it also has some of the most heartfelt scenes, most consistent worldbuilding, and most lovable characters I've experienced. Discworld's Death is probably my favorite character of all time.

Everyone should at least try The Lord of the Rings. Don't be intimidated by people complaining about heavy use of descriptive language, make the call yourself. Speaking of, contains one of the only setting descriptions to ever make me bust out in tears (the Glittering Caves behind Helm's Deep). If nothing else it's a cornerstone of the genre (just like 20,000 Leagues) and should be picked up for historical importance. Also just a damned good read in general.

The more info on your preferences I've got, though, the better recommendations I can make! It's been a few years since I last worked in a library, but I like to think i'm reasonably up to date on this.

(For an example of preferences: "Looking for fantasy, sci-fi, satirical or absurd elements. My favorite thing in a book is an expansive, imaginative world, but I'm also a sucker for stories of everyday people doing their best, and anything involving plant-based biotech is AMAZING. I'm pretty forgiving of weak characters/writing as long as the author went for an awesome world, and am open to any age range, with no themes off-limits--honestly, a bit of darkness is a plus. Major turnoffs are crappy love triangles, authors creepin' on their characters, and getting blue-balled on setbuilding.)
@FoxScara Did you mean to ping me or Faasnu?

@Faasnu Excellent! So just for clarity cuz my phrasing was super unclear, sci-fi and fantasy as genres have subgenres (hard sci-fi, high fantasy, etc.) So I'll just recommend general stuff for now!

Sci-Fi:
I'm starting with some hard sci-fi for safety. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is normally only heard in context of reading assignments, which is a damned shame! Jules Verne's love for nature and sympathy for his fellow man elevate this above most other hard sci-fi for me (most other books in general). Honestly, his vision of submarine travel is so spot-on that I constantly forgot that, in his time, this book was obvious as a work of incredible imagination (and research), though the march of progress has done nothing to dull his undersea world. It starts slow, and there will be lists of fish species. No you won't be quizzed on the fish thing, that's Verne being really excited about fish and we should support him in that.

I'll repeat the rec for Hitchhiker's Guide. It's a delightfully silly, often satirical romp through the galaxy. It's also infiltrated pop culture, go make friends with nerds by calling them hoopy froods. Fun, easy, engaging read. No more spoilers, best experienced blind...Depending on who you ask, there's either 5 books (penned by Adams) or 6 (one more written by Eoin Colfor). Speaking of Eoin!

Sci-Fi/Fantasy:
While I've never managed to get into it, people keep telling me the Artemis Fowl series is great. It's targeted more towards middle grade/YA, one of the few SciFantasy series I know in the age range, and definitely the most popular.

I saw a rec for the Inheritance cycle and I don't want to sound like I'm dissing that, but there's no other way to explain this, so...The Dragonriders of Pern is a cornerstone of sci-fantasy (though plenty of folks have argued with me it's pure sci-fi or pure fantasy) and introduces a lot of things that Inheritance gets credit for, including the bond between dragon and rider. Pern's dragons also slip to a space between spaces to teleport, and are used as living weapons to stave off an extraplanetary rain of mindless, all-consuming Thread. The only one in the list I'm flagging as having "adult content." It doesn't add anything to the plot, feel free to skip.

Fantasy:
It ain't a fantasy recommendation list without Discworld! Seriously, can't believe I'm first to bring these up. The series is absolutely legendary, think of it in some sense as a kindred spirit to the Hitchhiker's Guide in having plenty of genuinely excellent humor, but it also has some of the most heartfelt scenes, most consistent worldbuilding, and most lovable characters I've experienced. Discworld's Death is probably my favorite character of all time.

Everyone should at least try The Lord of the Rings. Don't be intimidated by people complaining about heavy use of descriptive language, make the call yourself. Speaking of, contains one of the only setting descriptions to ever make me bust out in tears (the Glittering Caves behind Helm's Deep). If nothing else it's a cornerstone of the genre (just like 20,000 Leagues) and should be picked up for historical importance. Also just a damned good read in general.

The more info on your preferences I've got, though, the better recommendations I can make! It's been a few years since I last worked in a library, but I like to think i'm reasonably up to date on this.

(For an example of preferences: "Looking for fantasy, sci-fi, satirical or absurd elements. My favorite thing in a book is an expansive, imaginative world, but I'm also a sucker for stories of everyday people doing their best, and anything involving plant-based biotech is AMAZING. I'm pretty forgiving of weak characters/writing as long as the author went for an awesome world, and am open to any age range, with no themes off-limits--honestly, a bit of darkness is a plus. Major turnoffs are crappy love triangles, authors creepin' on their characters, and getting blue-balled on setbuilding.)
cL9yafY.gif
@oranitha @faasnu super sorry I meant the other person aka faasnu XD
@oranitha @faasnu super sorry I meant the other person aka faasnu XD
FoxScara.png
@Oranitha - Ohhh, thank you for clarifying! I enjoy high fantasy, science fantasy, contempary, pretty much all subgenres of fantasy, to be honest, but those are ones in particular. c:

As for sci-fi, like the book Zenith; I'm not entirely sure what the subgenre was for that but it was awesome, and if you've heard of / read the Illuminae Files, those were right up my ally. ^^
@Oranitha - Ohhh, thank you for clarifying! I enjoy high fantasy, science fantasy, contempary, pretty much all subgenres of fantasy, to be honest, but those are ones in particular. c:

As for sci-fi, like the book Zenith; I'm not entirely sure what the subgenre was for that but it was awesome, and if you've heard of / read the Illuminae Files, those were right up my ally. ^^
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
Six of Crows is a really good book

Unpopular opinion on a practically unknown book: Kalahari by Jessica Khlory (Is that how you say her name? Dunno lol) is a GREAT scifi book about a bunch of normal teens get stuck in the desert with a bunch of killer science experiment animals. It's literally amazing.
Six of Crows is a really good book

Unpopular opinion on a practically unknown book: Kalahari by Jessica Khlory (Is that how you say her name? Dunno lol) is a GREAT scifi book about a bunch of normal teens get stuck in the desert with a bunch of killer science experiment animals. It's literally amazing.
sig103_by_dingobreath-dckmq7f.png
i have some!!

ender's game is an AMAZING sci-fi book i love it so much

also not sci-fi or fantasy but i strongly recommend pride and prejudice it's a classic :)
i have some!!

ender's game is an AMAZING sci-fi book i love it so much

also not sci-fi or fantasy but i strongly recommend pride and prejudice it's a classic :)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14