Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Hub] Taxidermy, Skulls, and More!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37
Username: @/kuchipatchis
Collection:
-everything LizardKing said (im her sister, and she just picked out the highlights. we have a lot of assorted bones - most of our skulls come with the skeletons but not all of them, and we have quite a few skeletons without skulls. none are articulated though)
-a hornbill skull
-fossils: sharks teeth of all kinds (i have SO MANY. hundreds. maybe more), ray mouthplates and barbs, a couple ammonites including one with ammolite, a huge slab of brachiopods, some pieces of whale ribs, crab, lobster, capybara tooth, eohippus tooth, oreodont tooth, tortoise kneecap and toenail, shark vertebrae, orthoceras, tons of calcite seashells, sawfish barb, trilobite, spinosaurus tooth, 2 fish in matrix, a couple cool plant fossils (ask me if interested but idk if theyre relevant in this topic) and a lot of unidentified fossils ive picked up here and there (i buy a lot of these, but have also found a considerable amount firsthand! also disclaimer there is the possibility of misidentification for some of these)
-other assorted items like feathers (have a huge box of pigeon feathers from out first ever dead) and seashells and other beach finds like coral and egg cases and stuff
Skills: im decent at bone cleaning, but i wouldnt say im near skilled at anything lol. dead finding?
Dream piece(s): i just really want antlers!! also id love bigger skulls, like 10+ inches, dont care the animal. also an articulated skeleton - thats something i need to work on myself
Do you mind being pinged?: go ahead!
Username: @/kuchipatchis
Collection:
-everything LizardKing said (im her sister, and she just picked out the highlights. we have a lot of assorted bones - most of our skulls come with the skeletons but not all of them, and we have quite a few skeletons without skulls. none are articulated though)
-a hornbill skull
-fossils: sharks teeth of all kinds (i have SO MANY. hundreds. maybe more), ray mouthplates and barbs, a couple ammonites including one with ammolite, a huge slab of brachiopods, some pieces of whale ribs, crab, lobster, capybara tooth, eohippus tooth, oreodont tooth, tortoise kneecap and toenail, shark vertebrae, orthoceras, tons of calcite seashells, sawfish barb, trilobite, spinosaurus tooth, 2 fish in matrix, a couple cool plant fossils (ask me if interested but idk if theyre relevant in this topic) and a lot of unidentified fossils ive picked up here and there (i buy a lot of these, but have also found a considerable amount firsthand! also disclaimer there is the possibility of misidentification for some of these)
-other assorted items like feathers (have a huge box of pigeon feathers from out first ever dead) and seashells and other beach finds like coral and egg cases and stuff
Skills: im decent at bone cleaning, but i wouldnt say im near skilled at anything lol. dead finding?
Dream piece(s): i just really want antlers!! also id love bigger skulls, like 10+ inches, dont care the animal. also an articulated skeleton - thats something i need to work on myself
Do you mind being pinged?: go ahead!
8VvjJ9p.png
@GingerC - that totally counts, and it sounds really cool! welcome!

now that im replying to you, i remembered that i cast a salt marsh moth in a jar with resin!
also my first ever dead preservation attempt, a cast resin butterfly wing! it casted beautifully, except it got stuck to ugly multicolored leopard print paper and in trying to shave it off i cut myself reallllly bad and gave up
i still have one wing left in the freezer if i ever want to try again lol

also @ everyone i have some resources regarding the MBTA that i think are important

first of all, this app im in love with! its for identifying birds, and its totally free! you can input information about the bird, or upload a photo! its great!

http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

and then once you ID your bird, you can put it up against these resources to see if you can keep the parts or not:

protected illegal birds
https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/policies-and-regulations/ListofMBTAProtectedSpecies1312.pdf

unprotected legal birds
http://bufonite.tumblr.com/post/144312390662/all-birds-unprotected-by-the-mbta

check with your local laws too though, bc sometimes they are different
@GingerC - that totally counts, and it sounds really cool! welcome!

now that im replying to you, i remembered that i cast a salt marsh moth in a jar with resin!
also my first ever dead preservation attempt, a cast resin butterfly wing! it casted beautifully, except it got stuck to ugly multicolored leopard print paper and in trying to shave it off i cut myself reallllly bad and gave up
i still have one wing left in the freezer if i ever want to try again lol

also @ everyone i have some resources regarding the MBTA that i think are important

first of all, this app im in love with! its for identifying birds, and its totally free! you can input information about the bird, or upload a photo! its great!

http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

and then once you ID your bird, you can put it up against these resources to see if you can keep the parts or not:

protected illegal birds
https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/policies-and-regulations/ListofMBTAProtectedSpecies1312.pdf

unprotected legal birds
http://bufonite.tumblr.com/post/144312390662/all-birds-unprotected-by-the-mbta

check with your local laws too though, bc sometimes they are different
8VvjJ9p.png
Username: @/SilvestrisDream
Collection:
- Pelts : full wolf, wolf mask, red fox(x2), gray fox, rabbit, full coyote, coyote tail
- Bones : coyote skull, wolf teeth, shark teeth
- And other miscellaneous things!
Skills: None for now :'))
Dream piece(s): Another wolf! A wolf tail, lynx pelt, any unprotected birds.
Do you mind being pinged?: Nope :'D
Username: @/SilvestrisDream
Collection:
- Pelts : full wolf, wolf mask, red fox(x2), gray fox, rabbit, full coyote, coyote tail
- Bones : coyote skull, wolf teeth, shark teeth
- And other miscellaneous things!
Skills: None for now :'))
Dream piece(s): Another wolf! A wolf tail, lynx pelt, any unprotected birds.
Do you mind being pinged?: Nope :'D
Renard(e) || Pronouns; iel or they
Host of the Fireworks Median system
FR Time +3 || French and English speaker || 25+
- Current hyperfixation : Saint Seiya -
(Autistic, so I'm super sorry if I say weird things at times!)
Never really payed mind to the first thread for this kind of thing, but figured I might as well ramble about my dead things now.

Username: @/Enigmadoodle

Collection:
-Crow skull/assorted crow bones (Legally obtained)
-Couple of goose bones
-3 mouse skulls (One with jaw intact)
-A deer vertebra
-A bag of assorted opossum bones
-The mummified head of a skunk (Along with multiple of it's vertebrea, just picked up today)
-Also a little box full of dead bugs because I lack the materials for pinning them

Skills: Tripping over the dead things. None really, I just pick up old bones and keep them, hadn't even had to clean them til the skunk vertebrae... Which I should do soon. I need them cleaned by Halloween.

Dream piece(s): Just give me all the skulls. I love skulls.

Do you mind being pinged?: Nah, go ahead
Never really payed mind to the first thread for this kind of thing, but figured I might as well ramble about my dead things now.

Username: @/Enigmadoodle

Collection:
-Crow skull/assorted crow bones (Legally obtained)
-Couple of goose bones
-3 mouse skulls (One with jaw intact)
-A deer vertebra
-A bag of assorted opossum bones
-The mummified head of a skunk (Along with multiple of it's vertebrea, just picked up today)
-Also a little box full of dead bugs because I lack the materials for pinning them

Skills: Tripping over the dead things. None really, I just pick up old bones and keep them, hadn't even had to clean them til the skunk vertebrae... Which I should do soon. I need them cleaned by Halloween.

Dream piece(s): Just give me all the skulls. I love skulls.

Do you mind being pinged?: Nah, go ahead
ah, the new thread looks so nice ::D

Username: @/Shinyumbreon

Collection: a young grackle skull (not entirely certain it's a grackle though), a fox tail, four rabbit pelts, a raccoon tail, a caiman head, a few teeth (possibly) from a coyote, a bleached turtle shell, and a bag of assorted bones that I picked out of an owl pellet

Skills: none, really. I think that's partially why I started following the old thread, to pick up on techniques to possibly use them in the future. For now I'll just pick up anything I happen to come across.

Dream piece(s): a badger skull or an armadillo lizard skull (they look so cool)

Do you mind being pinged?: go right on ahead
ah, the new thread looks so nice ::D

Username: @/Shinyumbreon

Collection: a young grackle skull (not entirely certain it's a grackle though), a fox tail, four rabbit pelts, a raccoon tail, a caiman head, a few teeth (possibly) from a coyote, a bleached turtle shell, and a bag of assorted bones that I picked out of an owl pellet

Skills: none, really. I think that's partially why I started following the old thread, to pick up on techniques to possibly use them in the future. For now I'll just pick up anything I happen to come across.

Dream piece(s): a badger skull or an armadillo lizard skull (they look so cool)

Do you mind being pinged?: go right on ahead
giphy.gif7t6ErvU.jpegmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
[quote name="@GingerC" date=2017-09-19 13:37:26] Heyo, I'm a newcomer here! I stalked the old thread occasionally out of interest, but never really posted since I wasn't preserving anything. Just curious, though, does resin casting count here? When my pet mantis died I cast his corpse in clear epoxy resin, something I'd like to do more of since I've also got some cool spiders and moths. [/quote] Indeed it does! @kuchipatchis I'll put those in the important links section, thanks!
@GingerC wrote on 2017-09-19:
Heyo, I'm a newcomer here! I stalked the old thread occasionally out of interest, but never really posted since I wasn't preserving anything. Just curious, though, does resin casting count here? When my pet mantis died I cast his corpse in clear epoxy resin, something I'd like to do more of since I've also got some cool spiders and moths.

Indeed it does!

@kuchipatchis

I'll put those in the important links section, thanks!
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
Username: @/Packrat
Collection: Pelts (!!!!!), I actually have a caribou pelt which is like my holy grail of pelts, stoles, 3 deer heads, fullbody mounts of small animals, bones
Skills: Taxidermist (I work primarily on small animals, biggest Ive done was a raccoon), bone cleaning, skinning
I love helping so if anyone has a question send me a PM
Dream piece(s): A fullbody deer mount T___T
Do you mind being pinged?: Ping away
Username: @/Packrat
Collection: Pelts (!!!!!), I actually have a caribou pelt which is like my holy grail of pelts, stoles, 3 deer heads, fullbody mounts of small animals, bones
Skills: Taxidermist (I work primarily on small animals, biggest Ive done was a raccoon), bone cleaning, skinning
I love helping so if anyone has a question send me a PM
Dream piece(s): A fullbody deer mount T___T
Do you mind being pinged?: Ping away
gO58pYL.gif
Oh, heck, I'm joining this.

Username: @/GingerC

Collection: I have a few fossils (trilobite, ammonite, some corals and plants), a few dead arthropods I'd like to preserve properly, a resin cast of my pet mantis' corpse, and a few of his old molts.

Skills: I wouldn't call it a skill, but I am in possession of a bottle of epoxy casting resin and catalyst. I've only done one cast so I haven't been able to perfect my craft through trial and error yet.

Dream piece(s): It'd be pretty cool to get a cast of an adult female Western black widow, and I'm also interested in preserving bones and feathers some time in the future too.

Do you mind being pinged?: Not at all! I love pings!
Oh, heck, I'm joining this.

Username: @/GingerC

Collection: I have a few fossils (trilobite, ammonite, some corals and plants), a few dead arthropods I'd like to preserve properly, a resin cast of my pet mantis' corpse, and a few of his old molts.

Skills: I wouldn't call it a skill, but I am in possession of a bottle of epoxy casting resin and catalyst. I've only done one cast so I haven't been able to perfect my craft through trial and error yet.

Dream piece(s): It'd be pretty cool to get a cast of an adult female Western black widow, and I'm also interested in preserving bones and feathers some time in the future too.

Do you mind being pinged?: Not at all! I love pings!
image.png
My kind of thread~

Username: @/Endee

Collection: Oh boy here we go! At work right now so I hope I don't forget anything.
-Pelts: one sheep, one goat, one reindeer
-Skulls and bones: one mink (minus lower jaw); one coyote; one black bear; bunch of rabbit skulls; one bird of prey skull (unidentified); one complete cat skeleton; one Hungarian racka ram skull with gigantic horns; one roe deer skull (I think it's a roe deer anyway, it was a gift); one set of shark jaws of the North Sea; one set of tropical fish jaws with big stumpy teeth; one unidentified half of a lower jaw belonging to some kind of fish with sharp teeth; one half of a coyote's lower jaw (super old); one complete woodpecker skeleton I still have to dig up; some kind of reptile skull?? One unidentified vertebrae found on the beach, and close to it I found a broken piece of bone, big, still don't know from what animal or even what part of the body it's from.
-Fossils: one large Mosasaur tooth (my precious); more fossilized shark teeth than I can shake a fist at; one big ammonite; lots of smaller fossilized shells and such.
-Misc: one small-spotted cat shark embryo (wet specimen) named Bob; one 100+ year old African jaquar claw (still sharp!); mummified frog; a few dried bee queens my friend killed for me and yes I told her off to never ever do that again; one set of fallow deer antlers; necklace with one fossilized shark tooth, four coyote claws, bison horn beads and tigereye stones; dried seahorse; crab shells and claws; oyster shells.
-Feathers (I suppose these count as well): SO. MANY. PEACOCK AND TURKEY FEATHERS. Also lots of pheasant feathers, including a beautiful and looooong silver pheasant tail feather, so pretty. Not doing anything with most of these, they're all in a box under my bed. I hope to incorporate them in a costume one day or something.

Pretty sure I still forgot about a few pieces, but eh (I'll add them here later). If anyone wants to see photos of some of these in particular, just let me know.

Skills: Basic skinning skills. I once mounted a grey squirrel and a falcon but I don't have them anymore, and this was ten years ago, so I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice on how to mount and skin.

Dream piece(s): a barn owl mount and a fox soft-mount! And I'm always after more fossils and skulls. I'd love a few more pelts as well but they're not a big priority. Omg, and I'd LOVE an elk skull but that's never gonna happen lol.

Do you mind being pinged?: Ping away.
My kind of thread~

Username: @/Endee

Collection: Oh boy here we go! At work right now so I hope I don't forget anything.
-Pelts: one sheep, one goat, one reindeer
-Skulls and bones: one mink (minus lower jaw); one coyote; one black bear; bunch of rabbit skulls; one bird of prey skull (unidentified); one complete cat skeleton; one Hungarian racka ram skull with gigantic horns; one roe deer skull (I think it's a roe deer anyway, it was a gift); one set of shark jaws of the North Sea; one set of tropical fish jaws with big stumpy teeth; one unidentified half of a lower jaw belonging to some kind of fish with sharp teeth; one half of a coyote's lower jaw (super old); one complete woodpecker skeleton I still have to dig up; some kind of reptile skull?? One unidentified vertebrae found on the beach, and close to it I found a broken piece of bone, big, still don't know from what animal or even what part of the body it's from.
-Fossils: one large Mosasaur tooth (my precious); more fossilized shark teeth than I can shake a fist at; one big ammonite; lots of smaller fossilized shells and such.
-Misc: one small-spotted cat shark embryo (wet specimen) named Bob; one 100+ year old African jaquar claw (still sharp!); mummified frog; a few dried bee queens my friend killed for me and yes I told her off to never ever do that again; one set of fallow deer antlers; necklace with one fossilized shark tooth, four coyote claws, bison horn beads and tigereye stones; dried seahorse; crab shells and claws; oyster shells.
-Feathers (I suppose these count as well): SO. MANY. PEACOCK AND TURKEY FEATHERS. Also lots of pheasant feathers, including a beautiful and looooong silver pheasant tail feather, so pretty. Not doing anything with most of these, they're all in a box under my bed. I hope to incorporate them in a costume one day or something.

Pretty sure I still forgot about a few pieces, but eh (I'll add them here later). If anyone wants to see photos of some of these in particular, just let me know.

Skills: Basic skinning skills. I once mounted a grey squirrel and a falcon but I don't have them anymore, and this was ten years ago, so I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice on how to mount and skin.

Dream piece(s): a barn owl mount and a fox soft-mount! And I'm always after more fossils and skulls. I'd love a few more pelts as well but they're not a big priority. Omg, and I'd LOVE an elk skull but that's never gonna happen lol.

Do you mind being pinged?: Ping away.
Hoarding:
Wildwood Owlet 9 hours ahead of FR Sakura Owlet
@PackRat

Would you mind being put down as a Taxidermist that would be willing to answer questions?
@PackRat

Would you mind being put down as a Taxidermist that would be willing to answer questions?
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37