Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Saint Sponge: Cheap GW/FP Tank Team
1 2
[color=transparent]_____[/color] Many people dread the Golem Workshop, and until the creation of builds specialized for the venue, they were fully right to do so. I was once one of those who dreaded the halls of the abandoned workshop... but I was never a fan of how other builds functioned, constantly falling short of my expectations. I continued to avoid the workshop until I had enough free time and tinctures to try a different build out. Borne from frustration over slow internet and the prices of battlestones, I came up with a build that I was comfortable using in the Golem Workshop. This, dear reader, is what I call [b]the "Saint Sponge" build:[/b] [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/JlJ2G8B.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/RCxPAz1.png[/img][/center] [u]In plain text:[/u] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/38092440][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/380925/38092440p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]_____[/color] The [u]sponge[/u] of this build, a tanky mage, comes first in the formation, has [b]INT 115 / VIT 30 / QCK 71[/b] (without stones, INT 100 / QCK 63), and runs [gamedb item=688] with [gamedb item=521], [gamedb item=527], [gamedb item=1160], and either [gamedb item=689] or the corresponding level 12 elemental spell. Augment stones are all [gamedb item=675] and accessory stones are all [gamedb item=687].[/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/41481425][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/414815/41481425p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]_____[/color] The [u]soap[/u] is your fighter and lives in the second slot. You'll want to distribute your points as [b]STR 133 / VIT 6 / QCK 40[/b] while running [gamedb item=495] and [gamedb item=498] – the other three stones are yours to choose. Augment stones are all [gamedb item=674] and accessory stones are all [gamedb item=687]. My recommended Ability stones to fill the fighter's gap are [gamedb item=497], [gamedb item=521], and [gamedb item=1193].[/columns] [color=transparent]_____[/color] *A sticking point of this build has always been its slight economy status. Let's talk about the [gamedb item=526] stone, completely absent from this build's requirements. Rally is required for just about every other fighter's build – not this one. Between its above-average price and its cost to slot into the turn economy alongside other buffs, I've always had a love-hate relationship with Rally. Haste, however, is [i]optional[/i] on most other builds, which keeps its price at a comfortably lower value. With a fighter whose STR is naturally at 133, you can save a bit of cash and precious tactical turns. [b]At 133 STR, you can Scratch and Eliminate all regular enemies in the venue![/b] [color=transparent]_____[/color] Perhaps opting to build around the Rally stone is not enough to convince you, as it is only about 35kt of savings (as I write this, at least) when compared to the obscene price of Eliminate. That's fair; however, the amount of food I wasted on knocked-out dragons who were meant to be champions of GW frustrated me far more, enough to forsake the accursed Rally stone, so in the hopes of showing you how reliable this build actually is, here is how to use this build with minimal restarting. [size=4][b][u]Car Wash Battery Jump: TL;DR Quickstart Guide[/u][/b][/size] [color=transparent]_____[/color] [u]Pre-battle preparations:[/u] Slot the sponge (mage) before the soap (fighter). Make your choice between Regeneration, which requires a planned healing schedule for maximum effectiveness, or Aid, which is less effective but more flexible. [color=transparent]_____[/color] [u]Start:[/u] (Mage) Hasten fighter -> (Mage) Guard fighter against melee OR Hasten self against mages -> (Fighter) Scratching post × 3 -> (Mage) Anticipate OR Guard fighter (your choice depending on enemy tactics) -> Enemy turns -> Keep scratching, guarding, and anticipating until the fighter has the breath for Eliminate [color=transparent]_____[/color] [u]Else:[/u] (Mage) Hasten fighter -> (Mage) Guard fighter against melee OR Hasten self against mages OR cast Regeneration -> (Fighter) Punt runts into the sun, occasionally season with Scratch against mages -> It's the same song and dance from here on out [size=4][b][u]Way of the Sponge, Director's Cut: Detailed Usage Guide[/u][/b][/size] [u]Setup[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] It's important to put your mage in a slot before your fighter. That way, you can Hasten your fighter to get them going with no time wasted. Technically, your mage doesn't even need to be at maximum level! While Sponges are most effective if the mage is fully trained, what matters most is your ability to soak up damage.[/indent] [u]Turn one[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Have your mage Hasten your fighter. This should stay consistent no matter what pack you're on – and while we're at it: [b]no, it really doesn't matter what pack you start on.[/b] Start on a boss if you want. Let your dragons warm up on a pack of four enemies. Live on the edge. Die like a viking. (I jest; if you're using this build right, then you'll only be dying if the heavens align just to give you a tremendously bad day.)[/indent] [u]Turn two[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Depending on whether or not your starting pack is a full-caster pack or not, you have the choice of Hastening your mage or Guarding your fighter. The mage's 71 QCK is enough to comfortably get enough turns without needing to Haste themselves; however, Hastening themselves is a fantastic way to build breath, which is safe and easy to do so against casters. Otherwise, against physical packs, Guard your fighter. [color=transparent]_____[/color] If, instead, you opt to Haste your mage instead of Guarding your fighter, your fighter will have to tank hits from one round, which isn't particularly fun at a mere 870 HP. Again, this is no problem if your foes Meditate instead of Scratching.[/indent] [u]Remaining turns[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] After this turn is the end of your mage's Ambush turns and the beginning of your fighter's. Regardless, you will be Scratching during the remainder of your fighter's turns until you can Eliminate. [b]Once again, when you build up the breath to Eliminate, all non-boss enemies can be downed with a combo of Scratch and Eliminate.[/b][/indent] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Whenever your mage goes next, have them Anticipate so that Guard can soak up all of that damage for those sweet, sweet breath points. If you chose to Hasten your mage instead of Guarding your fighter, your mage should have two turns after the enemies act, so you can Guard and Anticipate.[/indent] [u]If you run out of Hasten's buff before the end[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Presumably, if your Haste buff ran out, you're either still on your way to building up enough breath to Eliminate, or you're smacking a boss's face in. The bosses really aren't so bad if you run out of your Haste buff, but if you're left without the Haste buff while fighting off physical fighters, your mage should Anticipate each turn until their window for two turns in a row rolls around. Hasten your fighter and choose whether to cast Regeneration or Anticipate based on your situation, then go about your merry way.[/indent] [u]When you need to heal[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Inevitably, you will need to heal to keep going. To maximize efficiency, use Regeneration before your Ambush turns are over; doing so allows you quick healing that roughly equals what Aid would get you in one turn plus a bit more on subsequent turns. If your mage needs healing, use Regeneration on the first turn; if your fighter needs healing, use Regeneration after Hastening your fighter. If you run into a boss, do the above whether or not you need it and you'll have smooth sailing.[/indent] [size=4][b][u]FAQ and Footnotes[/u][/b][/size] [u]What are your recommended elements?[/u] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/38092440]My mage is Earth[/url]; [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/41481425]my fighter is Nature[/url]. The element for your fighter doesn't matter all that much, but whatever you do, please be kind to yourself by choosing team members who don't share a common weakness. [LIST] [*][u]Nature[/u]'s only true snag points are the [gamedb monster=481] and [gamedb monster=161]. The [gamedb monster=479] can be an issue if your Sponge isn't Earth or Fire element. Since one of these is a boss enemy and the other is resisted by both of the other best elements for the venue, Nature is still the king of the workshop by far and a fantastic choice for the fighter in this duo. It even resists the [gamedb monster=160] and [gamedb monster=475]! [*][u]Earth[/u] has few caster weaknesses ([gamedb monster=163], [gamedb monster=474], and [gamedb monster=478]), which makes it a very good element for the workshop. Earth dragons also have the plus of resisting the [gamedb monster=162]'s attacks, making Borers ideal scratching posts for teams with an Earth dragon. While choosing your ability stones, keep in mind that [gamedb item=729]'s side-effect has the chance to drag out a fight, especially if your sponge is fighting solo. Use patience (or your targets as scratching posts) if you decide to opt for an Earth mage running Fossilize. [*][u]Fire[/u] was once the theoretical best element for the mage, seeing as [gamedb item=724] has the chance to increase physical damage dealt to the target and how Fire once had no weaknesses to any mages present in this venue. It is, however, weak to the [gamedb monster=162], [gamedb monster=474], and [gamedb monster=480], so anyone using a Fire mage with this build should exercise caution then as opposed to the cakewalk scratching posts they are against Earth mages. I'd rate Fire and Earth as on-par with each other. [*][u]Arcane[/u] is sometimes recommended as a good element, seeing as it resists several casters (the [gamedb monster=164], [gamedb monster=159], and [gamedb monster=202]); [b]however[/b], Arcane is weak to the [gamedb monster=163], [gamedb monster=478], and [gamedb monster=162]. It's an all right element for the Workshop, though it might call for a bulkier stat spread (see below). [*][u]Wind[/u] is an often-recommended element for a Workshop mage, but after having used one for a while, I can't say that I actually enjoy using this element in this situation all that much. A big part of the old reason for recommending Wind mages in the Workshop was that there used to be a glitch where using [gamedb item=730] would double up on the pulls from the loot table if the target killed itself, but this has since been fixed. [i]The point of the build is to soak up hits,[/i] hence the name "Saint Sponges," and while Wind dragons will resist the [gamedb monster=162] and [gamedb monster=163], they are weak to [gamedb monster=475] and [gamedb monster=160], which are, as the name implies, fast buggers who rob you of your setup turns. Wind is also weak to the [gamedb monster=167], which are the most dangerous non-boss enemies due to their strength and hardiness (it's the Steelhounds' fault that 133 STR is required for this build). Personally, I am no fan, but Wind would still work in a pinch. Should you bring a Wind sponge along, opt for a bulkier spread (see below). [*][u]Lightning[/u] surprisingly isn't that bad for the mages if you're willing to deal with its weaknesses to the [gamedb monster=163], [gamedb monster=483], and [gamedb monster=164]. Terrific trouble comes in the packs where both golems are present, but they're infrequent enough to make it work. Similarly to Arcane dragons, it has multiple resistances in common places ([gamedb monster=160], [gamedb monster=159], and [gamedb monster=202]), but it also has two key weaknesses present. Other elements are still better for this, but Lightning is workable. [*][u]Shadow[/u] is a fantastic choice for an anti-boss mage: [gamedb monster=161]s are weak to Shadow, and its level 12 elemental spell can greatly decrease the target's accuracy – useful no matter what the target is. Its weakness to the [gamedb monster=160] and [gamedb monster=475] need to be considered, however; those fast rodents are often a problem for a sponge running this set. Shadow sponges are workable, but it has its drawbacks and may become frustrating as time marches on. I wouldn't recommend using a Shadow sponge without opting for the bulkier build variant. [*][u]Plague[/u] has no mage resistances, one mage weakness ([gamedb monster=160]), and is weak to [gamedb monster=161]s. [gamedb item=728]'s side effects aren't very useful in this venue, either. I don't recommend this element for the Workshop at all. [*][u]Ice[/u] has no mage resistances and two mage weaknesses ([gamedb monster=202] and [gamedb monster=159]). It's resistant to the [gamedb monster=161], but that's really the only good thing I can say about it for this venue. Naturally, as one of the elements weak to the most common element in the venue, Ice is a poor choice for this venue and especially for a build like this that is centered around sponging damage. [*][u]Light[/u] has two mage resistances ([gamedb monster=160] and [gamedb monster=475]) and five mage weaknesses ([gamedb monster=164], [gamedb monster=202], [gamedb monster=159], [gamedb monster=483], and [gamedb monster=478]). It's tied with Water for the worst element for the venue. Please love yourself enough to avoid using a Light dragon in the Workshop. [*][u]Water[/u] is the worst element you could use in the Workshop. Don't use Water, oh my god. Please save yourself from the endless frustration. Water has one mage resistance ([gamedb monster=163]) but three notable weaknesses ([gamedb monster=161], [gamedb monster=202], [gamedb monster=159]). Regular mobs *and* a boss will be giving you trouble all over the place.[/LIST] [b]In short, I recommend [u]Nature[/u], [u]Earth[/u], and [u]Fire[/u], can recommend [u]Arcane[/u], [u]Lightning[/u], and [u]Wind[/u] only for sponges using the bulkier stat spread, and strongly advise against using [u]Plague[/u], [u]Light[/u], and [u]Water[/u].[/b] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2858083]Here's more nonsense on that![/url] [u]Are there any other combinations of stats I can use for this team?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Yeah, plenty! The main draw of this build is its flexibility, so by all means, don't feel like you must stick to those exact numbers. Other than the 133 STR, I chose those numbers because there were no leftover stat-boost points after distribution. I would recommend checking [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1420187]this guide[/url] out to find more fighter flexibility options.[/indent] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] The mage is flexible enough to spread those stats all over the place in different areas, so it's not vitally important to stick to 115 INT / 30 VIT / 71 QCK. The recommended 115 INT is [u]exactly enough[/u] to offset a Scratch from either Mith enemy with a single round of Regeneration (assuming your fighter has been tinctured back to 5 DEF, which is the only way to reach 133 STR if I remember correctly), but if you're willing to use Aid instead, then swapping out points in INT for more QCK or VIT also works.[/indent] [u]If I get the 5% Strength buff via camping, does that change this build in any significant ways?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] As far as I have seen? Not particularly, no. 133 STR multiplied by 0.05 is 6.65, so whether it's rounded to an extra 6 or 7 points, it really doesn't make enough of a difference to be noteworthy. Even with Rally boosting you, that's still only 169-170, which (as far as I'm aware) isn't enough to make a significant difference in the build's workflow.[/indent] [u]How does this build compare to other Workshop builds?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2598497/2#post_39037896]Here is a post comparing times between Sponges and Workshop Workers[/url]. (As far as I'm aware, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1666709/]Workshop Workers[/url] is typically the most popular specialized build for the Workshop due to its seniority.) Generally, Sponges are slightly slower but far more stable. I'm not gonna lie: I developed this build in part because I wanted a forgiving build I could run while dozing in and out of sleep. Play your cards right, and Sponges should be able to recover from far more mistakes and bad luck than the Workers can.[/indent] [u]Should I run Contuse or elemental attacks?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] [gamedb item=689] has around the same damage modifier as Scratch does, so it is comparable to a fighter with the same STR as your mage's INT. If the bosses get to you, then Contuse is my recommendation for you by far, but if you breeze past those mechs without any problems, then you would be better off using the appropriate level 12 elemental spell.[/indent] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] [u]The only potential exception to that would be Earth mages;[/u] when [gamedb item=729] petrifies the enemy, both the target's DEF and MND are boosted to obnoxious levels despite the tool-tip only mentioning the target's DEF, so it takes forever to finish off that single target. I personally don't mind it, since it gives me free turns to build breath with, but your mileage may vary. That said, if your sponge is caught fighting all on its own, Fossilize will make the fight a drawn-out slog.[/indent] [u]What if I want to put Rally on my fighter after all?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Sweet, my original fighter for this build had Rally too. A base 133 Scratch Rallied at level 25 (this shoots your STR up to a startling 163!!) is enough to 3-hit KO a fair amount of the enemies, which makes this build breeze through some of the physical packs and build more breath, but [at the time of writing] Rally costs significantly more than Haste does.[/indent] [u]Is this build Night of the Nocturne-friendly?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] As of 2019, no evidence points to the contrary. Claw at those charlatans all you like, free of worry![/indent] [u]Can I use this build in other venues?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] You sure can! It's less effective the lower the venue level is, but some brief testing implies that the Kelp Beds, Forbidden Portal, and Ghostlight Ruins can be efficiently tamed by this build as well. Just keep in mind that each venue has different caster spreads, so you'll have trouble if you try to use one pair for more than one venue instead of optimizing for just one venue.[/indent] [u]I have feedback, questions, critique, or other comments. Are you okay with hearing them?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Yes, of course! If we're being honest, I'm sitting in a dark room typing this at midnight and have probably made a mistake or forgot to clarify something somewhere.[/indent] [u]What do I do now that I hate robot dogs more than ever before?[/u] [indent][color=transparent]_____[/color] Me too, dear reader, me too. Worry not; those bosses have to drop someday, right...?[/indent] ---------- [size=4][u]To Do:[/u][/size] [LIST] [*]proper portal variant build, sponge w/ 30 vit, 80+9 qck, 85+15 int? [*]proper data collection on comparisons with other gw builds? [*]exact number collection wrt rally, captcha buff, etc scenarios [/LIST] [size=4][u]Changelog:[/u][/size] [LIST] [*]21 Jul 21: Data, formatting, clarification, oh my! [*]9 Sep 20: Fixed one (1) typo [*]6 May 20: GW update added new enemies; changed element recommendations to reflect this. Added item links. Paragraphs indented. [*]2 Apr 19: Added analyses of remaining elements; made slight formatting changes. [*]7 Feb 19: Added analysis of Shadow sponges. [*]7 Jan 19: Formatting changes, slipped in some important notes on stats/elements. [*]27 Dec 18: Initial launch. [/LIST] [u]Special thanks[/u] to @FluffYeti for helping me beta-test this build and for coming up with the name! I couldn't have done this without you. <3
_____ Many people dread the Golem Workshop, and until the creation of builds specialized for the venue, they were fully right to do so. I was once one of those who dreaded the halls of the abandoned workshop... but I was never a fan of how other builds functioned, constantly falling short of my expectations. I continued to avoid the workshop until I had enough free time and tinctures to try a different build out. Borne from frustration over slow internet and the prices of battlestones, I came up with a build that I was comfortable using in the Golem Workshop. This, dear reader, is what I call the "Saint Sponge" build:
JlJ2G8B.png

RCxPAz1.png

In plain text:
38092440p.png _____ The sponge of this build, a tanky mage, comes first in the formation, has INT 115 / VIT 30 / QCK 71 (without stones, INT 100 / QCK 63), and runs Anticipate with Haste, Regeneration, Guard, and either Contuse or the corresponding level 12 elemental spell. Augment stones are all Scholar and accessory stones are all Ambush.
41481425p.png _____ The soap is your fighter and lives in the second slot. You'll want to distribute your points as STR 133 / VIT 6 / QCK 40 while running Scratch and Eliminate – the other three stones are yours to choose. Augment stones are all Berserker and accessory stones are all Ambush. My recommended Ability stones to fill the fighter's gap are Shred, Haste, and Sap.

_____ *A sticking point of this build has always been its slight economy status. Let's talk about the Rally stone, completely absent from this build's requirements. Rally is required for just about every other fighter's build – not this one. Between its above-average price and its cost to slot into the turn economy alongside other buffs, I've always had a love-hate relationship with Rally. Haste, however, is optional on most other builds, which keeps its price at a comfortably lower value. With a fighter whose STR is naturally at 133, you can save a bit of cash and precious tactical turns. At 133 STR, you can Scratch and Eliminate all regular enemies in the venue!

_____ Perhaps opting to build around the Rally stone is not enough to convince you, as it is only about 35kt of savings (as I write this, at least) when compared to the obscene price of Eliminate. That's fair; however, the amount of food I wasted on knocked-out dragons who were meant to be champions of GW frustrated me far more, enough to forsake the accursed Rally stone, so in the hopes of showing you how reliable this build actually is, here is how to use this build with minimal restarting.

Car Wash Battery Jump: TL;DR Quickstart Guide

_____ Pre-battle preparations: Slot the sponge (mage) before the soap (fighter). Make your choice between Regeneration, which requires a planned healing schedule for maximum effectiveness, or Aid, which is less effective but more flexible.

_____ Start: (Mage) Hasten fighter -> (Mage) Guard fighter against melee OR Hasten self against mages -> (Fighter) Scratching post × 3 -> (Mage) Anticipate OR Guard fighter (your choice depending on enemy tactics) -> Enemy turns -> Keep scratching, guarding, and anticipating until the fighter has the breath for Eliminate

_____ Else: (Mage) Hasten fighter -> (Mage) Guard fighter against melee OR Hasten self against mages OR cast Regeneration -> (Fighter) Punt runts into the sun, occasionally season with Scratch against mages -> It's the same song and dance from here on out

Way of the Sponge, Director's Cut: Detailed Usage Guide

Setup
_____ It's important to put your mage in a slot before your fighter. That way, you can Hasten your fighter to get them going with no time wasted. Technically, your mage doesn't even need to be at maximum level! While Sponges are most effective if the mage is fully trained, what matters most is your ability to soak up damage.

Turn one
_____ Have your mage Hasten your fighter. This should stay consistent no matter what pack you're on – and while we're at it: no, it really doesn't matter what pack you start on. Start on a boss if you want. Let your dragons warm up on a pack of four enemies. Live on the edge. Die like a viking. (I jest; if you're using this build right, then you'll only be dying if the heavens align just to give you a tremendously bad day.)

Turn two
_____ Depending on whether or not your starting pack is a full-caster pack or not, you have the choice of Hastening your mage or Guarding your fighter. The mage's 71 QCK is enough to comfortably get enough turns without needing to Haste themselves; however, Hastening themselves is a fantastic way to build breath, which is safe and easy to do so against casters. Otherwise, against physical packs, Guard your fighter.

_____ If, instead, you opt to Haste your mage instead of Guarding your fighter, your fighter will have to tank hits from one round, which isn't particularly fun at a mere 870 HP. Again, this is no problem if your foes Meditate instead of Scratching.

Remaining turns
_____ After this turn is the end of your mage's Ambush turns and the beginning of your fighter's. Regardless, you will be Scratching during the remainder of your fighter's turns until you can Eliminate. Once again, when you build up the breath to Eliminate, all non-boss enemies can be downed with a combo of Scratch and Eliminate.
_____ Whenever your mage goes next, have them Anticipate so that Guard can soak up all of that damage for those sweet, sweet breath points. If you chose to Hasten your mage instead of Guarding your fighter, your mage should have two turns after the enemies act, so you can Guard and Anticipate.

If you run out of Hasten's buff before the end
_____ Presumably, if your Haste buff ran out, you're either still on your way to building up enough breath to Eliminate, or you're smacking a boss's face in. The bosses really aren't so bad if you run out of your Haste buff, but if you're left without the Haste buff while fighting off physical fighters, your mage should Anticipate each turn until their window for two turns in a row rolls around. Hasten your fighter and choose whether to cast Regeneration or Anticipate based on your situation, then go about your merry way.

When you need to heal
_____ Inevitably, you will need to heal to keep going. To maximize efficiency, use Regeneration before your Ambush turns are over; doing so allows you quick healing that roughly equals what Aid would get you in one turn plus a bit more on subsequent turns. If your mage needs healing, use Regeneration on the first turn; if your fighter needs healing, use Regeneration after Hastening your fighter. If you run into a boss, do the above whether or not you need it and you'll have smooth sailing.

FAQ and Footnotes
What are your recommended elements?
My mage is Earth; my fighter is Nature. The element for your fighter doesn't matter all that much, but whatever you do, please be kind to yourself by choosing team members who don't share a common weakness.
  • Nature's only true snag points are the Tribeam Hunter and Frost Delver. The Wind-Up Pocketmouse can be an issue if your Sponge isn't Earth or Fire element. Since one of these is a boss enemy and the other is resisted by both of the other best elements for the venue, Nature is still the king of the workshop by far and a fantastic choice for the fighter in this duo. It even resists the Swift Lumen and Jelly Drone!
  • Earth has few caster weaknesses (Mistral Minion, Workshop Monitor , and Gearspring Pocketmouse), which makes it a very good element for the workshop. Earth dragons also have the plus of resisting the Stone Borer's attacks, making Borers ideal scratching posts for teams with an Earth dragon. While choosing your ability stones, keep in mind that Fossilize's side-effect has the chance to drag out a fight, especially if your sponge is fighting solo. Use patience (or your targets as scratching posts) if you decide to opt for an Earth mage running Fossilize.
  • Fire was once the theoretical best element for the mage, seeing as Sear has the chance to increase physical damage dealt to the target and how Fire once had no weaknesses to any mages present in this venue. It is, however, weak to the Stone Borer, Workshop Monitor , and Tribeam Lurker, so anyone using a Fire mage with this build should exercise caution then as opposed to the cakewalk scratching posts they are against Earth mages. I'd rate Fire and Earth as on-par with each other.
  • Arcane is sometimes recommended as a good element, seeing as it resists several casters (the Spellbound Golem, Swift Volt, and Chromefeather Lookout); however, Arcane is weak to the Mistral Minion, Gearspring Pocketmouse, and Stone Borer. It's an all right element for the Workshop, though it might call for a bulkier stat spread (see below).
  • Wind is an often-recommended element for a Workshop mage, but after having used one for a while, I can't say that I actually enjoy using this element in this situation all that much. A big part of the old reason for recommending Wind mages in the Workshop was that there used to be a glitch where using Disorient would double up on the pulls from the loot table if the target killed itself, but this has since been fixed. The point of the build is to soak up hits, hence the name "Saint Sponges," and while Wind dragons will resist the Stone Borer and Mistral Minion, they are weak to Jelly Drone and Swift Lumen, which are, as the name implies, fast buggers who rob you of your setup turns. Wind is also weak to the Scrapmetal Tracker, which are the most dangerous non-boss enemies due to their strength and hardiness (it's the Steelhounds' fault that 133 STR is required for this build). Personally, I am no fan, but Wind would still work in a pinch. Should you bring a Wind sponge along, opt for a bulkier spread (see below).
  • Lightning surprisingly isn't that bad for the mages if you're willing to deal with its weaknesses to the Mistral Minion, Robotic Tender, and Spellbound Golem. Terrific trouble comes in the packs where both golems are present, but they're infrequent enough to make it work. Similarly to Arcane dragons, it has multiple resistances in common places (Swift Lumen, Swift Volt, and Chromefeather Lookout), but it also has two key weaknesses present. Other elements are still better for this, but Lightning is workable.
  • Shadow is a fantastic choice for an anti-boss mage: Frost Delvers are weak to Shadow, and its level 12 elemental spell can greatly decrease the target's accuracy – useful no matter what the target is. Its weakness to the Swift Lumen and Jelly Drone need to be considered, however; those fast rodents are often a problem for a sponge running this set. Shadow sponges are workable, but it has its drawbacks and may become frustrating as time marches on. I wouldn't recommend using a Shadow sponge without opting for the bulkier build variant.
  • Plague has no mage resistances, one mage weakness (Swift Lumen), and is weak to Frost Delvers. Contaminate's side effects aren't very useful in this venue, either. I don't recommend this element for the Workshop at all.
  • Ice has no mage resistances and two mage weaknesses (Chromefeather Lookout and Swift Volt). It's resistant to the Frost Delver, but that's really the only good thing I can say about it for this venue. Naturally, as one of the elements weak to the most common element in the venue, Ice is a poor choice for this venue and especially for a build like this that is centered around sponging damage.
  • Light has two mage resistances (Swift Lumen and Jelly Drone) and five mage weaknesses (Spellbound Golem, Chromefeather Lookout, Swift Volt, Robotic Tender, and Gearspring Pocketmouse). It's tied with Water for the worst element for the venue. Please love yourself enough to avoid using a Light dragon in the Workshop.
  • Water is the worst element you could use in the Workshop. Don't use Water, oh my god. Please save yourself from the endless frustration. Water has one mage resistance (Mistral Minion) but three notable weaknesses (Frost Delver, Chromefeather Lookout, Swift Volt). Regular mobs *and* a boss will be giving you trouble all over the place.
In short, I recommend Nature, Earth, and Fire, can recommend Arcane, Lightning, and Wind only for sponges using the bulkier stat spread, and strongly advise against using Plague, Light, and Water. Here's more nonsense on that!

Are there any other combinations of stats I can use for this team?
_____ Yeah, plenty! The main draw of this build is its flexibility, so by all means, don't feel like you must stick to those exact numbers. Other than the 133 STR, I chose those numbers because there were no leftover stat-boost points after distribution. I would recommend checking this guide out to find more fighter flexibility options.
_____ The mage is flexible enough to spread those stats all over the place in different areas, so it's not vitally important to stick to 115 INT / 30 VIT / 71 QCK. The recommended 115 INT is exactly enough to offset a Scratch from either Mith enemy with a single round of Regeneration (assuming your fighter has been tinctured back to 5 DEF, which is the only way to reach 133 STR if I remember correctly), but if you're willing to use Aid instead, then swapping out points in INT for more QCK or VIT also works.

If I get the 5% Strength buff via camping, does that change this build in any significant ways?
_____ As far as I have seen? Not particularly, no. 133 STR multiplied by 0.05 is 6.65, so whether it's rounded to an extra 6 or 7 points, it really doesn't make enough of a difference to be noteworthy. Even with Rally boosting you, that's still only 169-170, which (as far as I'm aware) isn't enough to make a significant difference in the build's workflow.

How does this build compare to other Workshop builds?
_____ Here is a post comparing times between Sponges and Workshop Workers. (As far as I'm aware, Workshop Workers is typically the most popular specialized build for the Workshop due to its seniority.) Generally, Sponges are slightly slower but far more stable. I'm not gonna lie: I developed this build in part because I wanted a forgiving build I could run while dozing in and out of sleep. Play your cards right, and Sponges should be able to recover from far more mistakes and bad luck than the Workers can.

Should I run Contuse or elemental attacks?
_____ Contuse has around the same damage modifier as Scratch does, so it is comparable to a fighter with the same STR as your mage's INT. If the bosses get to you, then Contuse is my recommendation for you by far, but if you breeze past those mechs without any problems, then you would be better off using the appropriate level 12 elemental spell.
_____ The only potential exception to that would be Earth mages; when Fossilize petrifies the enemy, both the target's DEF and MND are boosted to obnoxious levels despite the tool-tip only mentioning the target's DEF, so it takes forever to finish off that single target. I personally don't mind it, since it gives me free turns to build breath with, but your mileage may vary. That said, if your sponge is caught fighting all on its own, Fossilize will make the fight a drawn-out slog.

What if I want to put Rally on my fighter after all?
_____ Sweet, my original fighter for this build had Rally too. A base 133 Scratch Rallied at level 25 (this shoots your STR up to a startling 163!!) is enough to 3-hit KO a fair amount of the enemies, which makes this build breeze through some of the physical packs and build more breath, but [at the time of writing] Rally costs significantly more than Haste does.

Is this build Night of the Nocturne-friendly?
_____ As of 2019, no evidence points to the contrary. Claw at those charlatans all you like, free of worry!

Can I use this build in other venues?
_____ You sure can! It's less effective the lower the venue level is, but some brief testing implies that the Kelp Beds, Forbidden Portal, and Ghostlight Ruins can be efficiently tamed by this build as well. Just keep in mind that each venue has different caster spreads, so you'll have trouble if you try to use one pair for more than one venue instead of optimizing for just one venue.

I have feedback, questions, critique, or other comments. Are you okay with hearing them?
_____ Yes, of course! If we're being honest, I'm sitting in a dark room typing this at midnight and have probably made a mistake or forgot to clarify something somewhere.

What do I do now that I hate robot dogs more than ever before?
_____ Me too, dear reader, me too. Worry not; those bosses have to drop someday, right...?

To Do:
  • proper portal variant build, sponge w/ 30 vit, 80+9 qck, 85+15 int?
  • proper data collection on comparisons with other gw builds?
  • exact number collection wrt rally, captcha buff, etc scenarios

Changelog:
  • 21 Jul 21: Data, formatting, clarification, oh my!
  • 9 Sep 20: Fixed one (1) typo
  • 6 May 20: GW update added new enemies; changed element recommendations to reflect this. Added item links. Paragraphs indented.
  • 2 Apr 19: Added analyses of remaining elements; made slight formatting changes.
  • 7 Feb 19: Added analysis of Shadow sponges.
  • 7 Jan 19: Formatting changes, slipped in some important notes on stats/elements.
  • 27 Dec 18: Initial launch.

Special thanks to @FluffYeti for helping me beta-test this build and for coming up with the name! I couldn't have done this without you. <3
pepis_by_minecr_aft-dbxskxp.gif

• Marc • he/him • Iban Peranakan • FR -02:00 / UTC -10:00, no DST •
Former Earth Dom Organization Council

1sAnyd1.gif
bisexual_pride_by_my_world_is_split-dbjdpzj.png

03XKUqf.png
I’ve got an all-purpose coli team, but I think I’ll train my Spongebob dragons with this build just ‘cause. Thank you, @SaintPepsi!
I’ve got an all-purpose coli team, but I think I’ll train my Spongebob dragons with this build just ‘cause. Thank you, @SaintPepsi!
Helium-banner.png
@SaintPepsi Awww, <3!

Just to throw in a few comments that speak to the benefits of this build
  • All non-boss enemies in the GW can be killed with a scratch+eliminate from the warrior. All of them.
  • The mage sponge is very flexible, as SaintPepsi said. My sponge is Arcane (not ideal) so I put in a little more Vit, more Int for larger heals, and took the hit in Qck for a 124 Int/50 Qck/34 Vit sponge. I also swapped regen for Aid because of personal preference.
  • Train fodder while boss hunting. Just beautiful.
  • So few restarts. That's what I love the most about this build and where I just didn't get along with other GW builds as well--once I got used to it, I just very rarely had to restart.

Thank you so much for this build and for the write-up!
@SaintPepsi Awww, <3!

Just to throw in a few comments that speak to the benefits of this build
  • All non-boss enemies in the GW can be killed with a scratch+eliminate from the warrior. All of them.
  • The mage sponge is very flexible, as SaintPepsi said. My sponge is Arcane (not ideal) so I put in a little more Vit, more Int for larger heals, and took the hit in Qck for a 124 Int/50 Qck/34 Vit sponge. I also swapped regen for Aid because of personal preference.
  • Train fodder while boss hunting. Just beautiful.
  • So few restarts. That's what I love the most about this build and where I just didn't get along with other GW builds as well--once I got used to it, I just very rarely had to restart.

Thank you so much for this build and for the write-up!
fgp70FI.png
Hmm... this is an interesting build idea, and I think I might try it out sometime!
Hmm... this is an interesting build idea, and I think I might try it out sometime!
Handful of Sprockets
*sigh* "You're going to make me say it, aren't you? FINE. I'm sorry I killed your wife. But in my defense, she jumped in front of my sword!"
Copper Gear
Small update bump with some extra information on stats and elements! I still can't believe that I forgot to point out that this build can scr+elim any non-boss in the venue, oops...
Small update bump with some extra information on stats and elements! I still can't believe that I forgot to point out that this build can scr+elim any non-boss in the venue, oops...

1sAnyd1.gif

03XKUqf.png
*pokes the Pepsi* I'mma try this build when I level up a couple Nature dragons (I'm in the process of leveling all my permas, RIP) and will get back to you on how I like it.
*pokes the Pepsi* I'mma try this build when I level up a couple Nature dragons (I'm in the process of leveling all my permas, RIP) and will get back to you on how I like it.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
@Saintpepsi Which enemies cannot be Rally+Eliminated with this build?
@Saintpepsi Which enemies cannot be Rally+Eliminated with this build?
180.pngJe6XRam.png30pKdmi.gif
@JonSnOwO Hey, thanks! Drop me a line if you find any interesting data, since I always love gathering and displaying new data on this build. ;w;

@LethargicWizard That's not a workable idea, I'm afraid. The vast majority of GW enemies can't be OHKOed with a rallied Eliminate, even from this build. 133 STR is already pushing it for a stat spread with room for other stats; in order to actually rally+elim GW enemies proper, you'd need to go into even higher territory, afaik. As for the spiders, you might be able to, but I don't have a dragon I can test this build out with for rallied Elim stats any more.
@JonSnOwO Hey, thanks! Drop me a line if you find any interesting data, since I always love gathering and displaying new data on this build. ;w;

@LethargicWizard That's not a workable idea, I'm afraid. The vast majority of GW enemies can't be OHKOed with a rallied Eliminate, even from this build. 133 STR is already pushing it for a stat spread with room for other stats; in order to actually rally+elim GW enemies proper, you'd need to go into even higher territory, afaik. As for the spiders, you might be able to, but I don't have a dragon I can test this build out with for rallied Elim stats any more.

1sAnyd1.gif

03XKUqf.png
@saintpepsi Ohh ok. SO the Rally on the attacker dragon is for building breath by triple scratching. So most enemies can be killed with a triple rally scratch then?
@saintpepsi Ohh ok. SO the Rally on the attacker dragon is for building breath by triple scratching. So most enemies can be killed with a triple rally scratch then?
180.pngJe6XRam.png30pKdmi.gif
7/Feb/19 update: added analysis of Shadow sponges.

@LethargicWizard Did some tests and a decent enough amount of them can be downed with three rallied scratches, but in my opinion, Rally's duration slows this build down (not to mention how I'm just not used to it so I kept forgetting to actually gather data OTL).
7/Feb/19 update: added analysis of Shadow sponges.

@LethargicWizard Did some tests and a decent enough amount of them can be downed with three rallied scratches, but in my opinion, Rally's duration slows this build down (not to mention how I'm just not used to it so I kept forgetting to actually gather data OTL).

1sAnyd1.gif

03XKUqf.png
1 2