Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | P S A for New players...
1 2 3
I am sure that others can add more to this as a way of giving advice.

To all new players coming in during the June 1 - June 3 registration window.

Welcome. Here is a few tips.

1. If you haven't yet chosen your flight do so with careful consideration as to your element. You can change once for free, but once you change you must wait 6 months and pay 1500 Gems to change again.

2. You may be offered many free things, take everything offered as far as food and familiars and other nick knacks that are offered by generous players.

3. You will most likely find many FREE dragon threads throughout the site and in your flight. Do not be afraid to be picky when it comes to getting dragons. Also do not be in a rush to fill your lair with a bunch of free dragons as it costs to expand your lair and the more spaces you need the more it costs to get them. You start with 10 spaces only and to add more here is what it costs all the way to 175 spaces.

Lair expansions costs

15 spaces - 5k
20 spaces - 15k
25 spaces - 30k
30 spaces - 45k
35 spaces - 65k
40 spaces - 90k
45 spaces - 115k
50 spaces - 150k
55 spaces - 185k
60 spaces - 215k
65 spaces - 245k
70 spaces - 295k
75 spaces - 350k
80 spaces - 400k
85 spaces - 475k
90 spaces - 550k
95 spaces - 650k
100 spaces - 800k
105 spaces - 975k
110 spaces - 1.075 mil
115 spaces - 1.075 mil
120 spaces - 1.1 mil
125 spaces - 1.02 mil
130 spaces - 1.12 mil
135 spaces - 1.125 mil'
140 spaces - 1.125 mil
145 spaces - 1.125 mil
150 spaces - 1,150,000
155 spaces- 1,150,000
160 spaces - 1,150,000
165 spaces- 1,175,000
170 spaces- 1,175,000
175 spaces - 1,175,000

Another thing about these Free dragons, especially now, is that many players will be trying to free up their own spaces in their lairs in preparation for June 8th when the site will have a color explosion. The site is about to go from 67 colors which you used to create your first dragon to 177 colors. So be picky as there may be some players just trying to dump their dragons on unsuspecting new players.

4. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, most new players do. It takes a little while to learn to do things like making treasure. Hint some players think 100,000 treasure is a lot of money others think it's a drop in the bucket because they really know how to make treasure. So take time to learn various ways.

5. The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember.. HAVE FUN

Again Welcome to Flight Rising
I am sure that others can add more to this as a way of giving advice.

To all new players coming in during the June 1 - June 3 registration window.

Welcome. Here is a few tips.

1. If you haven't yet chosen your flight do so with careful consideration as to your element. You can change once for free, but once you change you must wait 6 months and pay 1500 Gems to change again.

2. You may be offered many free things, take everything offered as far as food and familiars and other nick knacks that are offered by generous players.

3. You will most likely find many FREE dragon threads throughout the site and in your flight. Do not be afraid to be picky when it comes to getting dragons. Also do not be in a rush to fill your lair with a bunch of free dragons as it costs to expand your lair and the more spaces you need the more it costs to get them. You start with 10 spaces only and to add more here is what it costs all the way to 175 spaces.

Lair expansions costs

15 spaces - 5k
20 spaces - 15k
25 spaces - 30k
30 spaces - 45k
35 spaces - 65k
40 spaces - 90k
45 spaces - 115k
50 spaces - 150k
55 spaces - 185k
60 spaces - 215k
65 spaces - 245k
70 spaces - 295k
75 spaces - 350k
80 spaces - 400k
85 spaces - 475k
90 spaces - 550k
95 spaces - 650k
100 spaces - 800k
105 spaces - 975k
110 spaces - 1.075 mil
115 spaces - 1.075 mil
120 spaces - 1.1 mil
125 spaces - 1.02 mil
130 spaces - 1.12 mil
135 spaces - 1.125 mil'
140 spaces - 1.125 mil
145 spaces - 1.125 mil
150 spaces - 1,150,000
155 spaces- 1,150,000
160 spaces - 1,150,000
165 spaces- 1,175,000
170 spaces- 1,175,000
175 spaces - 1,175,000

Another thing about these Free dragons, especially now, is that many players will be trying to free up their own spaces in their lairs in preparation for June 8th when the site will have a color explosion. The site is about to go from 67 colors which you used to create your first dragon to 177 colors. So be picky as there may be some players just trying to dump their dragons on unsuspecting new players.

4. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, most new players do. It takes a little while to learn to do things like making treasure. Hint some players think 100,000 treasure is a lot of money others think it's a drop in the bucket because they really know how to make treasure. So take time to learn various ways.

5. The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember.. HAVE FUN

Again Welcome to Flight Rising
@Qnyxz
Thank you for the advice!
@Qnyxz
Thank you for the advice!
ah so I'm almost up to 80 spaces, good to know XD
ah so I'm almost up to 80 spaces, good to know XD
DVcXRyP.png
The Coliseum is a staple of Flight Rising and a great way to earn treasure once you've got a team established. However! The battle system is very unbalanced and you will have a hard time if you don't assign your dragon's stats a certain way. Don't just rush in, take time to look at some guides like this one to make the most of your Coli experience.
The Coliseum is a staple of Flight Rising and a great way to earn treasure once you've got a team established. However! The battle system is very unbalanced and you will have a hard time if you don't assign your dragon's stats a certain way. Don't just rush in, take time to look at some guides like this one to make the most of your Coli experience.
When you start putting genes on your dragon please note... You do not have to use [item=Remove gene: Primary] [item=Remove gene: Secondary] [item=Remove gene: Tertiary] To change from one gene to another. You can simply apply the new gene over the other. If you use the above you are returning the dragon to the Basic Gene which has no pattern.

When you start putting genes on your dragon please note...

You do not have to use

Remove Gene: Primary
Remove Gene: Secondary
Remove Gene: Tertiary

To change from one gene to another. You can simply apply the new gene over the other.

If you use the above you are returning the dragon to the Basic Gene which has no pattern.
You can change your dragon into almost any breed you want, only one that is impossible is the imperial, imperial scrolls were given to those who donated on the Kickstarter and as such aren't available anymore.

retired items tend to be a hot topic button on this site, so if you think they should be brought back be prepared for a lot of people disagreeing with you

if you need help writing lore or bios for your dragons poke around the creativity forum, many people offer to write lore and bios for free or a small fee.

two dragons of the same species can only have 4 eggs max, breeding 2 dragons of different breeds can have 5 eggs max

Some genes over power the other, same for a few dragon breeds (Though I can't remember from the top of my head)

if you play your cards right you can obtain many gems without spending a single cent

Familiar entries are NOT permanent in the bestiary so if you sell them the entry goes back to being greyed out, but once you obtain the familiar again it'll be colored. And that familiar will be on the same level as when you got rid of it
You can change your dragon into almost any breed you want, only one that is impossible is the imperial, imperial scrolls were given to those who donated on the Kickstarter and as such aren't available anymore.

retired items tend to be a hot topic button on this site, so if you think they should be brought back be prepared for a lot of people disagreeing with you

if you need help writing lore or bios for your dragons poke around the creativity forum, many people offer to write lore and bios for free or a small fee.

two dragons of the same species can only have 4 eggs max, breeding 2 dragons of different breeds can have 5 eggs max

Some genes over power the other, same for a few dragon breeds (Though I can't remember from the top of my head)

if you play your cards right you can obtain many gems without spending a single cent

Familiar entries are NOT permanent in the bestiary so if you sell them the entry goes back to being greyed out, but once you obtain the familiar again it'll be colored. And that familiar will be on the same level as when you got rid of it
DVcXRyP.png
Don't disregard the Trading Post dragons! They give you stuff. BUT on the other hand, don't trade familiars, apparel, or battle stones to Crim. She will NOT give you a fair price for them.

Also don't disregard the energy bar at the top of your screen! If you keep your dragons above 80% average energy for three days, you start getting cool bonuses, and will keep getting them as long as you keep your dragons fed to that point.

If you go to the marketplace and look at the upper right corner, you'll see a switch that says "Treasure" and "Gems". You can click on "Gems" to see a bunch of items you can buy with FR's premium currency. They're always available too. I say this because this is apparently something a lot of people miss, and some people take advantage of players who don't know by buying gem items and reselling them on the Auction House at a higher price. Watch out!
Don't disregard the Trading Post dragons! They give you stuff. BUT on the other hand, don't trade familiars, apparel, or battle stones to Crim. She will NOT give you a fair price for them.

Also don't disregard the energy bar at the top of your screen! If you keep your dragons above 80% average energy for three days, you start getting cool bonuses, and will keep getting them as long as you keep your dragons fed to that point.

If you go to the marketplace and look at the upper right corner, you'll see a switch that says "Treasure" and "Gems". You can click on "Gems" to see a bunch of items you can buy with FR's premium currency. They're always available too. I say this because this is apparently something a lot of people miss, and some people take advantage of players who don't know by buying gem items and reselling them on the Auction House at a higher price. Watch out!
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
Get used to the idea of exalting dragons. Exalting is how dragons are removed from the game permanently- they leave your lair and you will no longer be able to buy, sell, trade, feed, breed, battle, or otherwise interact with them. But this is not a sad thing! Lorewise it's the highest honor a dragon can receive, it is not death or exile. As a gameplay mechanic it's necessary, because there are way more dragons being generated than all the players on FR have room for.

Your dragons will never die or lose the ability to breed. It may seem like you have all the empty space in the world when you're first starting out, but those lair spots will fill up fast. And you may not be able to sell or give unwanted dragons away, because everyone else is also running out of space. You will almost certainly have to exalt dragons sooner or later.

Empty lair space isn't the only perk you get. Exalting a dragon also earns you some treasure, the payout increases if the dragon has levelled up in the Coliseum but even a level 1 hatchling is guaranteed to give you about 2000t- meaning that no matter how many millions of dragons are created on FR they will never become totally worthless, they will always have a minimum value! Exalting also contributes to Dominance, which can earn you all kinds of bonuses if your Flight wins!

TL;DR Exalting is a good thing!

I heard I shouldn't exalt my progen dragons, why or why not?
Your progens (the custom dragon you created when you signed up, and the randomly assigned mate who joined them) don't award any treasure or Dominance points if you exalt them. This is probably to prevent people making multiple accounts to abuse the system.
Some people who exalted their progen dragons in the past end up regretting it. But if you really don't want your progens and won't miss them, there's nothing wrong with exalting. Nothing bad will happen if you do and nobody will judge you for it. Though I would recommend looking at them in the Scrying Workshop first, your plain starter dragons may have more potential than you think!

I heard I can get an exalted dragon returned, is this true?
The admins have been known to return exalted dragons, but only under specific conditions. The exalt must be recent (like within a few days) and it must be accidental. You can't just ask for any dragon back. Choose carefully, because you will only ever get one dragon returned. Make sure it's one you really, really want. You can use the Contact Us link to make the request, be sure to include as much information about the dragon as possible so the staff can find it quickly.
Even after all that, there is no guarantee that your dragon will be returned, so don't rely on the assumption. You should consider exaltation permanent. If you want to avoid clicking that button by accident, consider giving your dragon a familiar or at least one piece of apparel, since it's impossible to exalt a dragon who is equipped with something!

I heard it's bad to exalt unnamed dragons, what's the deal with this?
Some people don't like the idea of a dragon never receiving a name, or they may think 'Unnamed' looks ugly on their own dragons' offspring list. It's a complaint that comes up again and again, but what it comes down to is this: it's not against the rules to exalt a dragon unnamed, and you're not obligated to name (or keep) the dragons you buy. It is the seller's responsibility, if they are bothered by unnamed exalts, to name the dragons before selling them. (Keep this in mind when selling dragons of your own!)
Most of the time, exalting unnamed isn't intended to be rude or hurtful towards the seller. Especially in the last hours of a fierce Dominance battle between multiple Flights, every dragon and every second counts. Typing a name or clicking the randomizer wastes valuable time. Some players may also want to exalt a dragon without a name for lore or roleplay reasons. Or they may simply forget!
If you buy a pre-named dragon, you can easily change its name with an item called a Scroll of Renaming, which stocks in the 'specialty' section of the Treasure Marketplace.
Get used to the idea of exalting dragons. Exalting is how dragons are removed from the game permanently- they leave your lair and you will no longer be able to buy, sell, trade, feed, breed, battle, or otherwise interact with them. But this is not a sad thing! Lorewise it's the highest honor a dragon can receive, it is not death or exile. As a gameplay mechanic it's necessary, because there are way more dragons being generated than all the players on FR have room for.

Your dragons will never die or lose the ability to breed. It may seem like you have all the empty space in the world when you're first starting out, but those lair spots will fill up fast. And you may not be able to sell or give unwanted dragons away, because everyone else is also running out of space. You will almost certainly have to exalt dragons sooner or later.

Empty lair space isn't the only perk you get. Exalting a dragon also earns you some treasure, the payout increases if the dragon has levelled up in the Coliseum but even a level 1 hatchling is guaranteed to give you about 2000t- meaning that no matter how many millions of dragons are created on FR they will never become totally worthless, they will always have a minimum value! Exalting also contributes to Dominance, which can earn you all kinds of bonuses if your Flight wins!

TL;DR Exalting is a good thing!

I heard I shouldn't exalt my progen dragons, why or why not?
Your progens (the custom dragon you created when you signed up, and the randomly assigned mate who joined them) don't award any treasure or Dominance points if you exalt them. This is probably to prevent people making multiple accounts to abuse the system.
Some people who exalted their progen dragons in the past end up regretting it. But if you really don't want your progens and won't miss them, there's nothing wrong with exalting. Nothing bad will happen if you do and nobody will judge you for it. Though I would recommend looking at them in the Scrying Workshop first, your plain starter dragons may have more potential than you think!

I heard I can get an exalted dragon returned, is this true?
The admins have been known to return exalted dragons, but only under specific conditions. The exalt must be recent (like within a few days) and it must be accidental. You can't just ask for any dragon back. Choose carefully, because you will only ever get one dragon returned. Make sure it's one you really, really want. You can use the Contact Us link to make the request, be sure to include as much information about the dragon as possible so the staff can find it quickly.
Even after all that, there is no guarantee that your dragon will be returned, so don't rely on the assumption. You should consider exaltation permanent. If you want to avoid clicking that button by accident, consider giving your dragon a familiar or at least one piece of apparel, since it's impossible to exalt a dragon who is equipped with something!

I heard it's bad to exalt unnamed dragons, what's the deal with this?
Some people don't like the idea of a dragon never receiving a name, or they may think 'Unnamed' looks ugly on their own dragons' offspring list. It's a complaint that comes up again and again, but what it comes down to is this: it's not against the rules to exalt a dragon unnamed, and you're not obligated to name (or keep) the dragons you buy. It is the seller's responsibility, if they are bothered by unnamed exalts, to name the dragons before selling them. (Keep this in mind when selling dragons of your own!)
Most of the time, exalting unnamed isn't intended to be rude or hurtful towards the seller. Especially in the last hours of a fierce Dominance battle between multiple Flights, every dragon and every second counts. Typing a name or clicking the randomizer wastes valuable time. Some players may also want to exalt a dragon without a name for lore or roleplay reasons. Or they may simply forget!
If you buy a pre-named dragon, you can easily change its name with an item called a Scroll of Renaming, which stocks in the 'specialty' section of the Treasure Marketplace.
Always check the prices for familiars (pets for your dragons) on the Auction House before buying them from the Marketplace. They're usually MUCH cheaper from other players than from the site. Apparel can be cheaper on the AH too, but that's not so much of a sure thing.
Always check the prices for familiars (pets for your dragons) on the Auction House before buying them from the Marketplace. They're usually MUCH cheaper from other players than from the site. Apparel can be cheaper on the AH too, but that's not so much of a sure thing.
zyvrj7C.png6EInrZK.pngx0CMhAc.png
To get more food points you have to hunt / forage / fish or catch bugs and then select and "convert" them in the food tab of your hoard! Many people lose their daily bonus because they can't feed their dragons!

ALSO: (I forgot) Some dragons only eat certain foods! be sure to check dragons' diets before you gather

Guardians: Seafood, Meat, Plants, Insects
Tundras: Plants
Faes: Insects
Mirrors: Seafood, Meat
Spirals: Meat, Insects
Snappers: Seafood, Plants
Ridgebacks: Seafood
Pearlcatchers: Plants, Insects
Skydancers: Plants, Insects
Imperials: Seafood, Meat, Plants, Insects
Nocturnes: Meat, Insects
Wildclaws: Meat
Coatls: Seafood

PLEASE TELL ME IF ANY OF THESE ARE WRONG
To get more food points you have to hunt / forage / fish or catch bugs and then select and "convert" them in the food tab of your hoard! Many people lose their daily bonus because they can't feed their dragons!

ALSO: (I forgot) Some dragons only eat certain foods! be sure to check dragons' diets before you gather

Guardians: Seafood, Meat, Plants, Insects
Tundras: Plants
Faes: Insects
Mirrors: Seafood, Meat
Spirals: Meat, Insects
Snappers: Seafood, Plants
Ridgebacks: Seafood
Pearlcatchers: Plants, Insects
Skydancers: Plants, Insects
Imperials: Seafood, Meat, Plants, Insects
Nocturnes: Meat, Insects
Wildclaws: Meat