Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Basic Coliseum Build Guide
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
May I ask what are Wildclaws and Spirals good for? By the way, I should get that item which reverts the stat points, I think my builds are kinda random. :(
May I ask what are Wildclaws and Spirals good for? By the way, I should get that item which reverts the stat points, I think my builds are kinda random. :(
tumblr_inline_nbefjbkpeK1qg78ij.pngF0xHRgQ.giftumblr_inline_nbefjh6UpE1qg78ij.png
Wildclaws are excellent sweepers, very similar to to Mirrors so you could use that as a general guide for now. Spirals I don't have any data on as I don't have one myself, but if they're set up to be casters (they would have the Meditate Breath-generating ability) then the general mage build would work fine with them.
Wildclaws are excellent sweepers, very similar to to Mirrors so you could use that as a general guide for now. Spirals I don't have any data on as I don't have one myself, but if they're set up to be casters (they would have the Meditate Breath-generating ability) then the general mage build would work fine with them.
Very nice guide! I look forward to seeing the expansions coming up. I'm not the newbiest of newbs at the coliseum but I am looking to branch out more from "punch things repeatedly until loot comes out", if only for variety's sake, and I was missing a bit of information on healer/support mages in particular. So thanks for that!

As a small suggestion—mostly just for completeness' sake/aesthetics—could you include each breed's starting HP as well? The actual HP value, I mean, not just the VIT. Some people may find it useful when attempting to gauge just how sturdy or fragile a new dragon starts out when they're preparing to work on it. If it helps, I know from checking my two current L1s that guardians start with 190 and mirrors with 150, and I believe faes have 130.
Very nice guide! I look forward to seeing the expansions coming up. I'm not the newbiest of newbs at the coliseum but I am looking to branch out more from "punch things repeatedly until loot comes out", if only for variety's sake, and I was missing a bit of information on healer/support mages in particular. So thanks for that!

As a small suggestion—mostly just for completeness' sake/aesthetics—could you include each breed's starting HP as well? The actual HP value, I mean, not just the VIT. Some people may find it useful when attempting to gauge just how sturdy or fragile a new dragon starts out when they're preparing to work on it. If it helps, I know from checking my two current L1s that guardians start with 190 and mirrors with 150, and I believe faes have 130.
I actually have level 1's of every breed so I can certainly check that and add it in, thanks for the suggestion! Dunno how I forgot to list that, lol. Possibly because you never see the numerical value unless you mouse over it, so it's easy to miss. Will add it in the next update!
I actually have level 1's of every breed so I can certainly check that and add it in, thanks for the suggestion! Dunno how I forgot to list that, lol. Possibly because you never see the numerical value unless you mouse over it, so it's easy to miss. Will add it in the next update!
Why are you separating what to put points into based on Race?

That is an awful, awful, awful idea to teach newbies, that only certain races can be certain combat roles. The 1-2 points in an off-color stat means nothing later on, and it shouldn't discourage people creating a Fae Melee DPS, or a Guardian Caster, or a Mirror Tank.

You made no mention that Tinctures of Dissolutions can be used to make ANY dragon into ANY type of fighter, until the FAQ...which is pointless, considering you just spend the entire article telling beginners that specific breeds should be specific classes, and if they don't get a dragon that fits the bill, they're screwed.

You even told them to use a Tincture to keep the dragon the class that it's inital stat distribution 'decides' it should be, instead of letting them know that they can use that item to tailor a team to their needs.

Waiting until the FAQ to mention that breed doesn't matter was a terribly poor choice, you're placing way too much bias in the breed of a dragon, which is heavily seen through the entire article.
Quote:
Ah, Fae, the classic mage-build set. Fae are set up to be primarily magic users and you should capitalize on that as much as possible.

Mirrors, on the other hand, are strong, fast dragons...are called DPS or sweepers

Guardians are classed as natural tanks

The way you worded this would make newbies think that they got the short end of the stick if they rolled dragon breeds that don't fit the bill of how they'd like to play, and that's very harmful for a 'Beginner' guide.

As a very experienced Coliseum player (#1 Ranked currently), I don't endorse this guide, at least in it's current state.
Why are you separating what to put points into based on Race?

That is an awful, awful, awful idea to teach newbies, that only certain races can be certain combat roles. The 1-2 points in an off-color stat means nothing later on, and it shouldn't discourage people creating a Fae Melee DPS, or a Guardian Caster, or a Mirror Tank.

You made no mention that Tinctures of Dissolutions can be used to make ANY dragon into ANY type of fighter, until the FAQ...which is pointless, considering you just spend the entire article telling beginners that specific breeds should be specific classes, and if they don't get a dragon that fits the bill, they're screwed.

You even told them to use a Tincture to keep the dragon the class that it's inital stat distribution 'decides' it should be, instead of letting them know that they can use that item to tailor a team to their needs.

Waiting until the FAQ to mention that breed doesn't matter was a terribly poor choice, you're placing way too much bias in the breed of a dragon, which is heavily seen through the entire article.
Quote:
Ah, Fae, the classic mage-build set. Fae are set up to be primarily magic users and you should capitalize on that as much as possible.

Mirrors, on the other hand, are strong, fast dragons...are called DPS or sweepers

Guardians are classed as natural tanks

The way you worded this would make newbies think that they got the short end of the stick if they rolled dragon breeds that don't fit the bill of how they'd like to play, and that's very harmful for a 'Beginner' guide.

As a very experienced Coliseum player (#1 Ranked currently), I don't endorse this guide, at least in it's current state.
If you'd read the introduction you would see it's designed to show optimal stat builds for each dragon breed for new players who have no idea how RPG systems work, as a quick way to level their dragons without worrying about the technical aspects. Many FR players are coming from adoptables sites and aren't necessarily gamers themselves, from my general observations.

It's also very much in progress, as I hadn't expected to need so many expansions. I don't expect tinctures to be in a newbie's budget, hence why I haven't yet listed them in the guide. Yet being the key here.

If you don't agree with what I'm doing, feel free to make your own guide and I'd be happy to link to it. I only intended this to be a small guide because I saw all the questions about stats being asked over and over again.

I'm also not doing anything on PvP, this is for Monster Battles, ie leveling and farming only. The PvP game is very different from straight grinding.
If you'd read the introduction you would see it's designed to show optimal stat builds for each dragon breed for new players who have no idea how RPG systems work, as a quick way to level their dragons without worrying about the technical aspects. Many FR players are coming from adoptables sites and aren't necessarily gamers themselves, from my general observations.

It's also very much in progress, as I hadn't expected to need so many expansions. I don't expect tinctures to be in a newbie's budget, hence why I haven't yet listed them in the guide. Yet being the key here.

If you don't agree with what I'm doing, feel free to make your own guide and I'd be happy to link to it. I only intended this to be a small guide because I saw all the questions about stats being asked over and over again.

I'm also not doing anything on PvP, this is for Monster Battles, ie leveling and farming only. The PvP game is very different from straight grinding.
If you want this guide to be the go-to for new players, you need to make sure the guide doesn't inflict a bias upon them. Whether it's the easy path or not, you don't just tell them bits and pieces about the game's mechanics to make it simple early on, just to find out it's not true later. Like telling a kid about the stork because it's too hard to explain the birds and the bees.

What I'm saying is your description of the races, while flavorful and well written, should not be biased towards a class. You need to let the players decide what they'd like to do with their dragons, and not sway them through text. This is part of what makes the coliseum cool, that any dragon can do anything, and is not confined by race. You didn't make that clear for beginners.
If you want this guide to be the go-to for new players, you need to make sure the guide doesn't inflict a bias upon them. Whether it's the easy path or not, you don't just tell them bits and pieces about the game's mechanics to make it simple early on, just to find out it's not true later. Like telling a kid about the stork because it's too hard to explain the birds and the bees.

What I'm saying is your description of the races, while flavorful and well written, should not be biased towards a class. You need to let the players decide what they'd like to do with their dragons, and not sway them through text. This is part of what makes the coliseum cool, that any dragon can do anything, and is not confined by race. You didn't make that clear for beginners.
I'm not intentionally trying to influence bias one way or the other, just giving people the easiest road to their destination. I've mentioned several times in the guide that this is not the end-all be-all of stats or builds or anything, that this is just to get them started. If I need to make that clearer than I shall.

Frankly, I saw a need for information and had a desire to fill it, so I did. People seem to like it, so when I have spare time I work on improving it. Constructive criticism is always welcome, but straight out attacking and telling me everything I wrote is wrong is not going to serve anyone. It makes me rather inclined to not continue if I know someone's going to be hounding my every word until I write a guide to their specifications. If you can do it better then do it and I'll let this one die.

And as I mention absolutely everywhere, this guide is not finished. It's not even close to being finished. I originally started with basically just the stat builds and a couple of resource links and started adding on as questions came up. I work on it when I can but I've only so much free time. I simply haven't had the time to do any major revising of anything, even though I do intend to redo the entire stat build section cause I don't like how it's set up as it is now.
I'm not intentionally trying to influence bias one way or the other, just giving people the easiest road to their destination. I've mentioned several times in the guide that this is not the end-all be-all of stats or builds or anything, that this is just to get them started. If I need to make that clearer than I shall.

Frankly, I saw a need for information and had a desire to fill it, so I did. People seem to like it, so when I have spare time I work on improving it. Constructive criticism is always welcome, but straight out attacking and telling me everything I wrote is wrong is not going to serve anyone. It makes me rather inclined to not continue if I know someone's going to be hounding my every word until I write a guide to their specifications. If you can do it better then do it and I'll let this one die.

And as I mention absolutely everywhere, this guide is not finished. It's not even close to being finished. I originally started with basically just the stat builds and a couple of resource links and started adding on as questions came up. I work on it when I can but I've only so much free time. I simply haven't had the time to do any major revising of anything, even though I do intend to redo the entire stat build section cause I don't like how it's set up as it is now.
Very nice. :) I tend to make my fighters all-rounders, and I'm going to be running a phys/phys/mage team. I pretty much leave one stat (either int or str) and round out the rest, but with obvious buffs to attacks. It's worked pretty well with only two dragons so far! now that I'm going to have a full party, I can ditch my prog since I messed up his stats and focus on my two new ones.

But seriously, great job!
Very nice. :) I tend to make my fighters all-rounders, and I'm going to be running a phys/phys/mage team. I pretty much leave one stat (either int or str) and round out the rest, but with obvious buffs to attacks. It's worked pretty well with only two dragons so far! now that I'm going to have a full party, I can ditch my prog since I messed up his stats and focus on my two new ones.

But seriously, great job!
tumblr_n7rzu5QTOk1tf36f3o1_400.png
[quote]straight out attacking and telling me everything I wrote is wrong[/quote] It's called constructive criticism. From one experienced user to another, would you rather leave it in a state that doesn't help newbies as much as it could? I assume you made this guide with the intention to help, so seeing a way it could help more, I told you. Don't be so high and mighty that I would 'attack' you. I read the guide, I saw a problem, I noted it. Also, I told you [b]ONE[/b] part was wrong, the bias towards class based on race. The stat info is good. The builds are good. That was the only problem. Stop overreacting, stop kicking and screaming, either admit you're wrong and change it, or defend your conscious decision to mislead newbies with an argument besides 'it's not done'. If the guide wasn't done, you shouldn't have posted it.
Quote:
straight out attacking and telling me everything I wrote is wrong

It's called constructive criticism. From one experienced user to another, would you rather leave it in a state that doesn't help newbies as much as it could? I assume you made this guide with the intention to help, so seeing a way it could help more, I told you. Don't be so high and mighty that I would 'attack' you. I read the guide, I saw a problem, I noted it.

Also, I told you ONE part was wrong, the bias towards class based on race. The stat info is good. The builds are good. That was the only problem. Stop overreacting, stop kicking and screaming, either admit you're wrong and change it, or defend your conscious decision to mislead newbies with an argument besides 'it's not done'. If the guide wasn't done, you shouldn't have posted it.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12