Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Share your underrated tropes ideas!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Since we have a post for "overrated" tropes (which in my honest opinion isn't great for motivation & inspiration) I figured we could throw some underrated bio tropes here, to kindle some ideas!

I'll start, and some people might have seen me talking about it in the other post, but I think we could use more artsy dragons, and in that way, more artsy apparel! Imagine a watercolor palette or a piano, wouldn't that be cool?

Also, why not architects and designers? I barely see any, and I can totally picture a dragon re-decorating the lair because "pastel colors are calming" or something. Especially if there are jumpy dragons around!

If your clan lore uses a more modern timeline (or if you really don't care about the canon lore), why not journalist dragons? Similar to spies, but louder. You can either make them troublemakers who love to start drama with juicy gossips they gather, or annoying dragons who blackmail others (or both!).

That's all I have in mind but I'd be happy to read your own ideas! (feel free to ping me too!)
Since we have a post for "overrated" tropes (which in my honest opinion isn't great for motivation & inspiration) I figured we could throw some underrated bio tropes here, to kindle some ideas!

I'll start, and some people might have seen me talking about it in the other post, but I think we could use more artsy dragons, and in that way, more artsy apparel! Imagine a watercolor palette or a piano, wouldn't that be cool?

Also, why not architects and designers? I barely see any, and I can totally picture a dragon re-decorating the lair because "pastel colors are calming" or something. Especially if there are jumpy dragons around!

If your clan lore uses a more modern timeline (or if you really don't care about the canon lore), why not journalist dragons? Similar to spies, but louder. You can either make them troublemakers who love to start drama with juicy gossips they gather, or annoying dragons who blackmail others (or both!).

That's all I have in mind but I'd be happy to read your own ideas! (feel free to ping me too!)
Y5ILoot.png
@inaros
Aaaaaa, yes, all of those x1000! We need a few less warriors and more artists, more actors, more architects! After all, most societies are a mix of "serious" jobs, war-type jobs, and artsy jobs, why would dragon society be any different? The first dragon to ever enter my lair (after my progens) is a musician, and has been since he hatched, I never realised it was so rare until now! And the artsy apparel, I need that s o o bad!

Even just dragons who have 0 idea what they're doing, that'd be cool to see more too! Not everybody has a job or a part to play in their community as soon as they pop into existence~

I do think when we eventually get lair tabs that'll open up the possibility for more unique lore ideas, think different factions, teams, idk I'm bad at this stuff l o l
@inaros
Aaaaaa, yes, all of those x1000! We need a few less warriors and more artists, more actors, more architects! After all, most societies are a mix of "serious" jobs, war-type jobs, and artsy jobs, why would dragon society be any different? The first dragon to ever enter my lair (after my progens) is a musician, and has been since he hatched, I never realised it was so rare until now! And the artsy apparel, I need that s o o bad!

Even just dragons who have 0 idea what they're doing, that'd be cool to see more too! Not everybody has a job or a part to play in their community as soon as they pop into existence~

I do think when we eventually get lair tabs that'll open up the possibility for more unique lore ideas, think different factions, teams, idk I'm bad at this stuff l o l
scuz me, what u
doin?
gems_badge_100.png
My mama's better than yours!
treasure_badge_100.png nosy, aren't ya?
@Gravebloom Exactly! It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's not because they're dragons that they have to do "dragon-y" things. Plus, we don't even know what those could be. If they're sentient then they can do whatever they want to do, right?

One of my hatchlings ended in a marching band lair and it's so great :')!

But I'm sure a lot of players have interesting ideas that don't fit the standard "dragon jobs" and are too shy to exploit them, so I hope this thread will also act as a little motivation boost for the writers out there!
@Gravebloom Exactly! It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's not because they're dragons that they have to do "dragon-y" things. Plus, we don't even know what those could be. If they're sentient then they can do whatever they want to do, right?

One of my hatchlings ended in a marching band lair and it's so great :')!

But I'm sure a lot of players have interesting ideas that don't fit the standard "dragon jobs" and are too shy to exploit them, so I hope this thread will also act as a little motivation boost for the writers out there!
Y5ILoot.png
Honestly I'd love to see more xenofiction in the way dragons are written. They're not human, so maybe they don't have the same morals or cultural ideas as we do. Maybe they look at the world in a completely different way. Maybe they literally see different colours than we do... maybe the sense of smell or hearing is stronger than their eyesight in some breeds? Maybe the entire society of tundra dragons is centred around smell? :o

I mean, I'm not saying everyone should do 100% xenofiction because even having xeno elements is really hard to write! But I do find it interesting and fun to toy around with. Even in just small amounts.

Like, the moral code of my clan would make them be seen as "evil" by most people. To put it unflatteringly, they're cannibalistic, xenophobic cultists. BUT they do have morals. And standards. They care about each other and will protect each other. They're just a little... extreme... in their attitude towards the preservation and protection of nature. And they get a bad rep because they're only known to the outside world through whatever stories are told by travellers who survived an encounter with them, so. Yeah. They're not ~good~ at all, but they're not randomly, arbitrarily ~evil~ either. They just have weird morals.
Honestly I'd love to see more xenofiction in the way dragons are written. They're not human, so maybe they don't have the same morals or cultural ideas as we do. Maybe they look at the world in a completely different way. Maybe they literally see different colours than we do... maybe the sense of smell or hearing is stronger than their eyesight in some breeds? Maybe the entire society of tundra dragons is centred around smell? :o

I mean, I'm not saying everyone should do 100% xenofiction because even having xeno elements is really hard to write! But I do find it interesting and fun to toy around with. Even in just small amounts.

Like, the moral code of my clan would make them be seen as "evil" by most people. To put it unflatteringly, they're cannibalistic, xenophobic cultists. BUT they do have morals. And standards. They care about each other and will protect each other. They're just a little... extreme... in their attitude towards the preservation and protection of nature. And they get a bad rep because they're only known to the outside world through whatever stories are told by travellers who survived an encounter with them, so. Yeah. They're not ~good~ at all, but they're not randomly, arbitrarily ~evil~ either. They just have weird morals.
I have an architect! He’s in charge of lair expansions and is a total neat freak.

Along with artsy dragons, I think writers are also underrated! Not, like, scribes or anything, but creative writers, ones who try to get published, or make fan fiction about their clanmates.
I have an architect! He’s in charge of lair expansions and is a total neat freak.

Along with artsy dragons, I think writers are also underrated! Not, like, scribes or anything, but creative writers, ones who try to get published, or make fan fiction about their clanmates.
8HtYjYR.jpg art-shop-icon_orig.jpg EE6A8YJ.jpg
@inaros Absolutely! I like to think of Sornieth as a sentient, unique society, not something that I write up myself, because then it helps to not just stick to the same common tropes over and over! Not that that's a bad thing of course, it's a game after all, and I love reading lore no matter what kind it is! This is a game meant to bring out creativity in whatever shape or form it takes, you don't have to think of a brand new idea all by yourself for it to be appreciated!

@Charias that's brilliant! Especially the part about tundras, that would make a lot of sense! Rather than signing names in letters, maybe they send a small tuft of fur?

Ooh, I love your clan lore! That's really interesting, and it definitely makes sense that different clans have wildly varying moral codes because of how isolated they all are!

And I like the idea that FR dragon society may not be exactly a mirror of our own society! I often think about that a lot, what things could be different?

@MagicmakerRose Ahh yes! It makes a lot of sense for lairs to have architects etc really, with all the expansions and changes constantly going on, and surely it makes more sense to have a professional to make sure the lairs are well suited for both faes and imperials!

Writers, yes! I think we all had that friend in school (or still do) who loved to write fan fic about their favourite characters, whos to say dragons don't do that too? And novelists, authors, surely not all dragons just go do "productive" stuff in their spare time, why can't they sit down and read or write too?
@inaros Absolutely! I like to think of Sornieth as a sentient, unique society, not something that I write up myself, because then it helps to not just stick to the same common tropes over and over! Not that that's a bad thing of course, it's a game after all, and I love reading lore no matter what kind it is! This is a game meant to bring out creativity in whatever shape or form it takes, you don't have to think of a brand new idea all by yourself for it to be appreciated!

@Charias that's brilliant! Especially the part about tundras, that would make a lot of sense! Rather than signing names in letters, maybe they send a small tuft of fur?

Ooh, I love your clan lore! That's really interesting, and it definitely makes sense that different clans have wildly varying moral codes because of how isolated they all are!

And I like the idea that FR dragon society may not be exactly a mirror of our own society! I often think about that a lot, what things could be different?

@MagicmakerRose Ahh yes! It makes a lot of sense for lairs to have architects etc really, with all the expansions and changes constantly going on, and surely it makes more sense to have a professional to make sure the lairs are well suited for both faes and imperials!

Writers, yes! I think we all had that friend in school (or still do) who loved to write fan fic about their favourite characters, whos to say dragons don't do that too? And novelists, authors, surely not all dragons just go do "productive" stuff in their spare time, why can't they sit down and read or write too?
scuz me, what u
doin?
gems_badge_100.png
My mama's better than yours!
treasure_badge_100.png nosy, aren't ya?
[quote name="Charias" date="2018-09-25 05:20:01" ] Honestly I'd love to see more xenofiction in the way dragons are written. They're not human, so maybe they don't have the same morals or cultural ideas as we do. Maybe they look at the world in a completely different way. Maybe they literally see different colours than we do... maybe the sense of smell or hearing is stronger than their eyesight in some breeds? Maybe the entire society of tundra dragons is centred around smell? :o [/quote] +1. Xenofiction is a huge favourite of mine, and while admittedly difficult to write, the payoff is well worth it. Other ideas, [LIST] [*]Dragons-written-as-dragons. [*]As @/Charias touched on, Blue And Orange Morality. [*]Exploring cultural and physical differences between breeds & Flights; do Mirrors find the solitary nature of Bogsneaks baffling? Do other breeds have difficulty reading Tundra body language & vice versa? Do Arcane dragons see more colours than non-Arcane dragons? [*]More non-combat/non-scientist jobs that aren't, hm, "fluffy" or modern and/or mundane AUish? Ex. something other than baristas/high school students/cowboys, etc. [/LIST]
Charias wrote on 2018-09-25 05:20:01:

+1. Xenofiction is a huge favourite of mine, and while admittedly difficult to write, the payoff is well worth it.

Other ideas,
  • Dragons-written-as-dragons.
  • As @/Charias touched on, Blue And Orange Morality.
  • Exploring cultural and physical differences between breeds & Flights; do Mirrors find the solitary nature of Bogsneaks baffling? Do other breeds have difficulty reading Tundra body language & vice versa? Do Arcane dragons see more colours than non-Arcane dragons?
  • More non-combat/non-scientist jobs that aren't, hm, "fluffy" or modern and/or mundane AUish? Ex. something other than baristas/high school students/cowboys, etc.
I have an architect as well I'm making. He oversees lair expansions obviously, and the modelling of the rooms. In my clan each dragon has their own room that is custom made for them by said architect. Now if only I wasn't too lazy to write lore...
I have an architect as well I'm making. He oversees lair expansions obviously, and the modelling of the rooms. In my clan each dragon has their own room that is custom made for them by said architect. Now if only I wasn't too lazy to write lore...
@ me crashing in. HELLO. HAVE MY RAVE ARTIST AND HER SIDEKICK AN EXPLOSIVES EXPERT. And then my small angry dog coffee maker for the stinkin' live wires of the lair. XD [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44180538] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/441806/44180538_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45192138] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/451922/45192138_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45402491] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/454025/45402491_350.png[/img] [/url] --- I will probably come back with more babies. xD ---- HAHA. I CAME BACK. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45450125] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/454502/45450125_350.png[/img] [/url] Cyano suffers from depression and makes art to help. She is also in a love-hate relationship with thunderstorms. They seem to follow her, she screams at thunder. It makes it hard for everybody to sleep some nights. -------- Heck I forgot my baking boy. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30948614] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/309487/30948614_350.png[/img] [/url]
@ me crashing in.

HELLO. HAVE MY RAVE ARTIST AND HER SIDEKICK AN EXPLOSIVES EXPERT. And then my small angry dog coffee maker for the stinkin' live wires of the lair. XD

44180538_350.png

45192138_350.png

45402491_350.png

---
I will probably come back with more babies. xD

----

HAHA. I CAME BACK.

45450125_350.png

Cyano suffers from depression and makes art to help. She is also in a love-hate relationship with thunderstorms. They seem to follow her, she screams at thunder. It makes it hard for everybody to sleep some nights.

Heck I forgot my baking boy.

30948614_350.png
Sanidars_Sorrow.png[/left] FObX7rS.png rix3ppo.png Most of my Permas are in my HibDen, please check there for Forum Games too please.
I love really specific jobs that don't have much use. I don't remember the exact example, but it's similar to "this dragon's only job is to sort jellybeans by color". Or maybe "this dragon trains fleas for entertainment". I've read a few lore pieces like this and I love it.
I love really specific jobs that don't have much use. I don't remember the exact example, but it's similar to "this dragon's only job is to sort jellybeans by color". Or maybe "this dragon trains fleas for entertainment". I've read a few lore pieces like this and I love it.
hnTz61J.png7ChmKWg.pngD6HJ1f0.pngcaX19pV.pngG6nKgD0.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7