Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lore HUB (SS2017 Advent Calendar)
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 58 59
1. Sounds good!! Although, if we get really going, would it still be possible to do above the max amount if we acknowledge that we'll only be getting the 175 tickets and the extra is on us?? I know, speaking for myself, if a piece of lore really grabs me, I can go as long as as my mind spins the lore for!!

2. Speaking as a Shadow gal, I totally agree with that!!

3. I like to idea of their mark appearing when they acknowledge the calling of their deity. I think I'll be going with that for any lore I do. I love the idea of the mark being the sign of the divine calling and that it is a special mark. Has anyone looked into designing a mark for each deity?? Or would they all be the same except for the colour/ details??

4. can't really think of anything!!
1. Sounds good!! Although, if we get really going, would it still be possible to do above the max amount if we acknowledge that we'll only be getting the 175 tickets and the extra is on us?? I know, speaking for myself, if a piece of lore really grabs me, I can go as long as as my mind spins the lore for!!

2. Speaking as a Shadow gal, I totally agree with that!!

3. I like to idea of their mark appearing when they acknowledge the calling of their deity. I think I'll be going with that for any lore I do. I love the idea of the mark being the sign of the divine calling and that it is a special mark. Has anyone looked into designing a mark for each deity?? Or would they all be the same except for the colour/ details??

4. can't really think of anything!!
tumblr_p4pn5cGNiP1t5ymx8o1_500.png
Aren't all the reps getting the flight emblem apparel? Could that not be the "mark?" Then it could appear at adulthood, be associated with portents and signs, etcetera.

I am fine with the ticket allocation proposed.
Aren't all the reps getting the flight emblem apparel? Could that not be the "mark?" Then it could appear at adulthood, be associated with portents and signs, etcetera.

I am fine with the ticket allocation proposed.
@Wintercreek

I'm a little concerned with that minimum word requirement. By all means, let everyone write as much as they can, but 2,500 characters, even with spaces, is about three or four pages of writing. That's a lot to fit into a dragon's biography field, never mind the 17,500 you're suggesting as a maximum (eleven to twelve pages of writing there).

I know some people find it very easy to write large stories about everything, but with a requirement like that you may end up with biographies that include a lot of unnecessary filler because people are trying to meet the minimum word count for tickets.

I also agree with Rhabdo that using the flight emblem as the mark would be easier, particularly for the artists.
@Wintercreek

I'm a little concerned with that minimum word requirement. By all means, let everyone write as much as they can, but 2,500 characters, even with spaces, is about three or four pages of writing. That's a lot to fit into a dragon's biography field, never mind the 17,500 you're suggesting as a maximum (eleven to twelve pages of writing there).

I know some people find it very easy to write large stories about everything, but with a requirement like that you may end up with biographies that include a lot of unnecessary filler because people are trying to meet the minimum word count for tickets.

I also agree with Rhabdo that using the flight emblem as the mark would be easier, particularly for the artists.
8NAp29F.png
@Jirazeil

I just ran a 1,076 word piece of lore I did for a commission and it came out to 6018 characters in the example @Wintercreek gave us!! So, depending on the words used, it looks like the average of 500 words would be about 3000 characters. That sounds doable to me!!

another long piece - 1,105 words - 6007 characters.
@Jirazeil

I just ran a 1,076 word piece of lore I did for a commission and it came out to 6018 characters in the example @Wintercreek gave us!! So, depending on the words used, it looks like the average of 500 words would be about 3000 characters. That sounds doable to me!!

another long piece - 1,105 words - 6007 characters.
*slightly screaming* YES

@Wintercreek -
1. Totally agreeing with ticket to characters ratio, sounds perfect!
2. Got it~
3. I like the moon mark idea, and the moon phases would tie in so well with my lore, but I want to see what the others think. If there's a different verdict, I'm fine with that, but moon phases would benefit my lore best.
*slightly screaming* YES

@Wintercreek -
1. Totally agreeing with ticket to characters ratio, sounds perfect!
2. Got it~
3. I like the moon mark idea, and the moon phases would tie in so well with my lore, but I want to see what the others think. If there's a different verdict, I'm fine with that, but moon phases would benefit my lore best.
frt+0 | she/her
wishlist
dragons wanted
quest hub
light2_zpshptxrzjv.gif
light_bibling_by_cicide76536-dciq9ph.gif
@basicblack1986

Thanks for sharing your numbers. That's a little reassuring, but makes me assume I write a lot of short words. I tested two pieces at five hundred and about five thousand words respectively and came out with much lower character counts than your average.
@basicblack1986

Thanks for sharing your numbers. That's a little reassuring, but makes me assume I write a lot of short words. I tested two pieces at five hundred and about five thousand words respectively and came out with much lower character counts than your average.
8NAp29F.png
I liked the Ooamancy (marked eggs or marks appearing in the shards of the cracked eggs (which, of course, vanish when the shells are stepped on or swept up)), and I still think it will be easier and more fun to let there be variety in the marks.

The old typesetting standard for counting words was five characters =
"one word" even though words are obviously all different lengths, @Jirazeil. I suspect we're best off agreeing to a word-to-character ratio, since I'm not sure all word processors can give you both statistics.
I liked the Ooamancy (marked eggs or marks appearing in the shards of the cracked eggs (which, of course, vanish when the shells are stepped on or swept up)), and I still think it will be easier and more fun to let there be variety in the marks.

The old typesetting standard for counting words was five characters =
"one word" even though words are obviously all different lengths, @Jirazeil. I suspect we're best off agreeing to a word-to-character ratio, since I'm not sure all word processors can give you both statistics.
bUUy115.png PLAY IS SACRED QiZFijL.png

tumblr_d80ca4e90bc366798eb4fe4971e57d86_b60cba99_2048.png
@Jirazeil

Best bet may be to say maybe a 100 word min, 1,000 word max or whatever the comparison may be!!
@Jirazeil

Best bet may be to say maybe a 100 word min, 1,000 word max or whatever the comparison may be!!
The best way to count is in characters with spaces. It's objective, at least, and easily countable.

I have a question: who names the dragons?
The best way to count is in characters with spaces. It's objective, at least, and easily countable.

I have a question: who names the dragons?
zg9UeWS.png {Wishlist}

Free/PWYW dragons
Please don't send me travellers outside the travelling game thread.
@KaiMalut, that's an excellent question lol. I'd say we ask kriski about that one because that's an important aspect of the dragon.
@KaiMalut, that's an excellent question lol. I'd say we ask kriski about that one because that's an important aspect of the dragon.
g7wLQz3.gifjhqsk9S.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 58 59