Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [LORE] Rampant Magic
[img]https://i.imgur.com/maekvnW.png[/img] [center][size=6][font=Book Antiqua][color=0]Institute for the Study and Containment of Rampant Magic[/font][/size] [size=1]~?~[/size][/center][center][font=Book Antiqua] [/center] [columns][size=4][font=Book Antiqua]From the very beginning of this world, magic has fueled our very existence. It has allowed us to thrive and expand as a species and comes most naturally to dragons, though it is an underlying part of all life on Sornieth. And for just as long, it has been unstable. As much of a living thing as all life, and just as unpredictable. Dragonkind as a whole has divided it neatly into eleven distinct slots, but magic is messy, and doesn't always work out in ways that are considered logical. Logic and magic can be as opposite as the sun and the moons, and applying one to the other is tricky business indeed.[nextcol] [item=Scroll Case][/columns] [columns][item=Haunted Stone Orb][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua][i] The Institute for the Study and Containment of Rampant Magic [SCRM][/i] recognizes the messy physicality of existence versus the unpredictable, untapped, unknown which is magic, and seeks to further understand what happens when magic corrupts and spreads unbridled, along with the effects of elemental magics and how they can interact and mutate with other forms of magic and beast alike. Said specimen are brought in for study, or, if this is impossible, neutralized so their influence will cause no further chaos or harm. [color=#FFFFFF]..............................................................................................................[/color][i][font=Book Antiqua][sub]~ SCRM mission statement[/sub][/i][/color][/columns] [center][font=Book Antiqua][size=4]Table of Contents[/size][/center] [columns][color=#FFFFFF]...........................................[/color][nextcol][font=Book Antiqua][size=3]Background[LIST] [*][font=Book Antiqua][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2752662#post_40647029]I. The Institute[/url] [*][font=Book Antiqua][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2752662#post_40647034]II. The Orders[/url] [*][font=Book Antiqua] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2752662#post_40647039]III. The Characters[/url] [*][font=Book Antiqua] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2752662#post_40647068]IV. The Credit[/url] [/LIST][nextcol][img]https://i.imgur.com/qxwosrg.png[/img][nextcol][font=Book Antiqua]Media [LIST] [*][font=Book Antiqua]I. Artwork [*][font=Book Antiqua]II. Bluh [*][font=Book Antiqua]III. Bluh [*][font=Book Antiqua]IV. Bluh [/LIST] [/columns] [columns][item=forgotten poet's tools][nextcol][i][font=Palatino Linotype][size=4] [b]Dear Basil, It has come to my attention that you have begun to draw others into your obsession. Whether you have beguiled them with those words you're so fond of spouting, or you have found yourself a gaggle of individual unwelcome to institutes of higher learning, I know not. But I can tell you, your experiments will bring you, and everyone you have convinced of your cause, to ruin..[/b]. [right][font=Book Antiqua][b]~ Unknown sender[/b][/right][/font][/i][/columns] [sub]Very WIP, please do not post.[/sub]
maekvnW.png
Institute for the Study and Containment of Rampant Magic
~?~

From the very beginning of this world, magic has fueled our very existence. It has allowed us to thrive and expand as a species and comes most naturally to dragons, though it is an underlying part of all life on Sornieth. And for just as long, it has been unstable. As much of a living thing as all life, and just as unpredictable. Dragonkind as a whole has divided it neatly into eleven distinct slots, but magic is messy, and doesn't always work out in ways that are considered logical. Logic and magic can be as opposite as the sun and the moons, and applying one to the other is tricky business indeed. Scroll Case
Haunted Stone Orb

The Institute for the Study and Containment of Rampant Magic [SCRM]
recognizes the messy physicality of existence versus the unpredictable, untapped, unknown which is magic, and seeks to further understand what happens when magic corrupts and spreads unbridled, along with the effects of elemental magics and how they can interact and mutate with other forms of magic and beast alike. Said specimen are brought in for study, or, if this is impossible, neutralized so their influence will cause no further chaos or harm.

..............................................................................................................~ SCRM mission statement

Table of Contents

........................................... Background qxwosrg.png Media
  • I. Artwork
  • II. Bluh
  • III. Bluh
  • IV. Bluh

Forgotten Poet's Tools

Dear Basil,
It has come to my attention that you have begun to draw others into your obsession. Whether you have beguiled them with those words you're so fond of spouting, or you have found yourself a gaggle of individual unwelcome to institutes of higher learning, I know not. But I can tell you, your experiments will bring you, and everyone you have convinced of your cause, to ruin..
~ Unknown sender

Very WIP, please do not post.
The Institute

The Institute for the Study and Containment of Rampant Magic, often referred to as the SCRM Institute for short, or merely 'The Institute' for brevity, is a research facility located on the boarder between the Arcane and Plague territories, though perhaps with one claw further in towards Arcane. The choice in location was quite deliberate, both as a way to stray from the more numerous, and more strictly observed, facilities located at the Focal Point, and due to the proximity of a major clash of magic. The mixture of Arcane and Plague, being two of the most volatile magical forces on the planet, are a major point of study.

The building itself is quite impression, both in size and construction. Due to their wish to accommodate for dragons of every shape and size, built in the shape of a half crescent, facing away from a crystal peak. The entrance takes up the of the front of the building, flights of steps leading up to a double doorway on either side. Between them, a stained glass portrait of two Skydancers welcome visitors. The two are facing away from each other, one reading a book, the other facing towards a night sky depicted in glass. Their name's are Allure and Mystique, and represent a dragon's innate desire to learn and understand. Above them, in gold font, reads the Institute's motto.

Respice altius. Sunt responsa.

Founding

As far as humble beginnings go, the SCRM institute started with a single ambitious Tundra dragon, known as Basil. When other scholarly places of learning cast him aside, he was quick to arrange his former colleagues, along with those similarly cast out for their methods, both magical and scientific. These included dragons who believed that elemental magic was determined upon hatching, those who believed science and magic could be combined... Those who did not allow morality to stand in the way of progress. It began with 14 dragons, though as the years passed that number has grown significantly.

In the beginning, these dragons worked and studied in caverns tunneled through the Crystalspines, though Basil and the other dragons yearned for the space and grandeur of their previous lodgings. The beautiful spires, the delicate metal instruments, a place that was worthy of the title Research Facility. After two years of working out of caves, construction began on the Institute proper, a building of grand proportions. The project was halted several times as the group ran into financial difficulties, but with more painstaking effort, the magnificent marble building was finally erected in the Autumn after an arduous process. Numerous expansions have taken place to this day to further aid the needs of the dragons who work there.
The Institute

The Institute for the Study and Containment of Rampant Magic, often referred to as the SCRM Institute for short, or merely 'The Institute' for brevity, is a research facility located on the boarder between the Arcane and Plague territories, though perhaps with one claw further in towards Arcane. The choice in location was quite deliberate, both as a way to stray from the more numerous, and more strictly observed, facilities located at the Focal Point, and due to the proximity of a major clash of magic. The mixture of Arcane and Plague, being two of the most volatile magical forces on the planet, are a major point of study.

The building itself is quite impression, both in size and construction. Due to their wish to accommodate for dragons of every shape and size, built in the shape of a half crescent, facing away from a crystal peak. The entrance takes up the of the front of the building, flights of steps leading up to a double doorway on either side. Between them, a stained glass portrait of two Skydancers welcome visitors. The two are facing away from each other, one reading a book, the other facing towards a night sky depicted in glass. Their name's are Allure and Mystique, and represent a dragon's innate desire to learn and understand. Above them, in gold font, reads the Institute's motto.

Respice altius. Sunt responsa.

Founding

As far as humble beginnings go, the SCRM institute started with a single ambitious Tundra dragon, known as Basil. When other scholarly places of learning cast him aside, he was quick to arrange his former colleagues, along with those similarly cast out for their methods, both magical and scientific. These included dragons who believed that elemental magic was determined upon hatching, those who believed science and magic could be combined... Those who did not allow morality to stand in the way of progress. It began with 14 dragons, though as the years passed that number has grown significantly.

In the beginning, these dragons worked and studied in caverns tunneled through the Crystalspines, though Basil and the other dragons yearned for the space and grandeur of their previous lodgings. The beautiful spires, the delicate metal instruments, a place that was worthy of the title Research Facility. After two years of working out of caves, construction began on the Institute proper, a building of grand proportions. The project was halted several times as the group ran into financial difficulties, but with more painstaking effort, the magnificent marble building was finally erected in the Autumn after an arduous process. Numerous expansions have taken place to this day to further aid the needs of the dragons who work there.
The Orders

Though there are many branches of magical study conducted at the Institute, every dragon has their pet projects, and some are more dedicated to their craft than others. Still, there is a purpose to their research, and that is to find out what happens when magic goes wrong. To find out what happens when you push it to its very limit, and how it combines. For this reason, magical entities and anomalies are often captured, both for the sake of Sornieth, and to find out what makes them tick. The main scientists were already expending too many resources, and most were not skilled at fighting. There was also the problem of containing said monstrosities, when they were often at odds with existence itself.

These conundrums eventually split the SCRM Institute into four distinct groups. The scientists, or Arcaneologists as was humorously supplies by the dragon Benji, are those who spend their time mainly in the building, slaving away over either their own theories or attempting to work together the deeper mysteries. This is a rather broad category, as often dragons who are in a position of power often have their own research projects they work on, when not plucking the strings

The Staff, who ensure the behind the scenes work runs smoothly. These involve the dragons who do not themselves uncover magical secrets, but nonetheless are important to the upkeep. The medical staff, librarians, archivists, secretaries, and engineers are examples of the dragons who may be classified in this section.

The Searchers are the dragons who are called upon when 'errant magical activity' is detected. These dragons are tasked with locating, securing, and, if necessary, detaining the anomaly. Some of them prefer to be called Hunters, as it is a less sanitized, though more correct description of their task. They are also the ones who stand guard and prevent them from causing further harm. They are often adept at fighting, or offensive spellcasting.

Then, lastly, are the creatures under Institute watch, control, and containment. The Abnormalities. The more dubious credentials the Institute has is entirely because of the moral quandaries involved in capturing often sentient creatures for study. Some are mindless manifestations of magic, but others are creatures, or even dragons, corrupted by the arcane. Paranormal occurrences and the otherwise unexplainable are also fair game for this category.

These subjects are not necessarily contained within the building, either. Many are unable to be pinned down, and thus studied merely from a distance. A reminder that this is a very small subset, most Abnormalities are cursed items and magical curiosities studied carefully under lock and key or in well-guarded store rooms, and not even all those who study here are aware of some of extents which will be gone to obtain scientific information.
The Orders

Though there are many branches of magical study conducted at the Institute, every dragon has their pet projects, and some are more dedicated to their craft than others. Still, there is a purpose to their research, and that is to find out what happens when magic goes wrong. To find out what happens when you push it to its very limit, and how it combines. For this reason, magical entities and anomalies are often captured, both for the sake of Sornieth, and to find out what makes them tick. The main scientists were already expending too many resources, and most were not skilled at fighting. There was also the problem of containing said monstrosities, when they were often at odds with existence itself.

These conundrums eventually split the SCRM Institute into four distinct groups. The scientists, or Arcaneologists as was humorously supplies by the dragon Benji, are those who spend their time mainly in the building, slaving away over either their own theories or attempting to work together the deeper mysteries. This is a rather broad category, as often dragons who are in a position of power often have their own research projects they work on, when not plucking the strings

The Staff, who ensure the behind the scenes work runs smoothly. These involve the dragons who do not themselves uncover magical secrets, but nonetheless are important to the upkeep. The medical staff, librarians, archivists, secretaries, and engineers are examples of the dragons who may be classified in this section.

The Searchers are the dragons who are called upon when 'errant magical activity' is detected. These dragons are tasked with locating, securing, and, if necessary, detaining the anomaly. Some of them prefer to be called Hunters, as it is a less sanitized, though more correct description of their task. They are also the ones who stand guard and prevent them from causing further harm. They are often adept at fighting, or offensive spellcasting.

Then, lastly, are the creatures under Institute watch, control, and containment. The Abnormalities. The more dubious credentials the Institute has is entirely because of the moral quandaries involved in capturing often sentient creatures for study. Some are mindless manifestations of magic, but others are creatures, or even dragons, corrupted by the arcane. Paranormal occurrences and the otherwise unexplainable are also fair game for this category.

These subjects are not necessarily contained within the building, either. Many are unable to be pinned down, and thus studied merely from a distance. A reminder that this is a very small subset, most Abnormalities are cursed items and magical curiosities studied carefully under lock and key or in well-guarded store rooms, and not even all those who study here are aware of some of extents which will be gone to obtain scientific information.
[columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=128023&tab=dragon&did=8671674][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/86717/8671674p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua] [color=FFFFFF].....[/color][color=#A76BC6]Basil[/color] [i]Institute Founder, ???, He/Him[/i][/font][/size] [font=book antiqua][size=4]Head Researcher and Founder of the Institute for The Study and Containment of Rampant Magic. A dry, scholarly figure of whom few dragons have interacted with personally. He's content to remain locked in his personal chambers for days on end while Beatrice or another capable dragon keeps their claws full. Anti-social though he may be, he's also responsible for scouting out new talent, and is the reason many of the dragons who work there are employed at all.[/columns] [columns][color=#A76BC6][font=Book Antiqua][color=FFFFFF]....[/color][size=4]Beatrice[/color] [font=Book Antiqua][size=4][i]Institute Head, Transformation Magic, She/Her[/i] [font=Book Antiqua]While Basil might be the one who started it all, most would point to Beatrice as the dragon truly in charge of the SCRM Institute. Beatrice took over after an extended leave of absence from the enigmatic founder, though this was a job title she could never shake afterwards. She was simply better than a reclusive Tundra at keeping things running smoothly. Beatrice is getting on in years however, and the subject of more than a few scandals which make others question her leadership.[nextcol][color=FFFFFF].[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF].[/color][nextcol] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=128023&tab=dragon&did=8263756][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/82638/8263756p.png[/img][/url][/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=128023&tab=dragon&did=38538970][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/385390/38538970p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua] [color=FFFFFF].....[/color][color=#A76BC6]Purus[/color] [i]Head Librarian, She/Her [/i][/font][/size] [font=book antiqua][size=4]Purus is quite as sweet as she appears, a studious Tundra dragon who is in charge of the Institute's expansive libraries, filled both with the knowledge of their scientific findings and other accumulated texts and scrolls. These libraries are open to the public, and she's always willing to help studious dragons find the tomes they need. She's a bit scatterbrained however, and often relies on her assistants to help her re-shelve stacks of books. Her pride and joy is her collection of illuminated manuscripts, dating back hundreds of solar cycles. [/columns] [columns][color=#A76BC6][font=Book Antiqua][color=FFFFFF]....[/color][size=4]Arlo[/color] [font=Book Antiqua][size=4][i]Secretary, Scheduling Expert, He/Him[/i] [font=Book Antiqua]With every organization comes those who work behind the scenes to make sure everything ticks. Arlo is that dragon. He mans the front desk, diligently doing his job while directing visitors. As a perfectionist, he does his job well, but harbors some gripes with dragons in charge. He can come across as monotone and sarcastic, but has a sense of humor he hides well. [nextcol][color=FFFFFF].[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF].[/color][nextcol] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=128023&tab=dragon&did=45440702][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/454408/45440702p.png[/img][/url][/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66917249][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/669173/66917249p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua] [color=FFFFFF].....[/color][color=#A76BC6]Sonar[/color] [i]Mage of Fire, Xe/Xem[/i][/font][/size] [font=book antiqua][size=4]Sonar has always felt like xe was lost. Xe had never been particularly good at any one thing, hopping aimlessly from one interest to another, always relying on someone else to make xis choices for xim. When xe applied to be a scientist, the only thing xe really had to go on was the fact that he had experimented with other forms of magic other than Plague. Most dragons thought that devoting xis time to learning Fire magic would end up much the same way, but to everyone's surprise, including xis, xe really had a knack for it. It is not true fire magic, of course. But the ability to produce flame is something that seems to come naturally. Fire seeks to spread and consume all it touches as well, after all. [/columns] [columns][color=#A76BC6][font=Book Antiqua][color=FFFFFF]....[/color][size=4]Scrivver[/color] [font=Book Antiqua][size=4][i]Scientist, Not Quite Dead, He/They[/i] [font=Book Antiqua]Once, he preferred to be known as simply Mint, though he has grown increasingly more morose as he has come to terms with his new condition. One of the Institute's long term goals has been to research magical ways to prolong one's life. Scrivver has certainly achieved that, though he has paid dearly for the attempt. His body is proof of this, half melted off his own skeleton, but he is not dead by any stretch of the word. Currently, he works alongside his rival Aberrant.[nextcol][color=FFFFFF].[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF].[/color][nextcol] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/67086639][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/670867/67086639p.png[/img][/url][/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66301464][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/663015/66301464p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua] [color=FFFFFF].....[/color][color=#A76BC6]Aberrant[/color] [i]Mycologist, They/Them[/i][/font][/size] [font=book antiqua][size=4]If you don't like spores, lichens, rot, or fungi, this dragon will have nothing to do with you. Their obsession with mycology has led to them becoming a living host to a colony of cordyceps, which most agree has had some kind of effect on this dragon's mind. Some even claim that they are being piloted by the fungus. However, due to their mysterious resistance to the fungus plague which has affected Morel, they are allowed freedom of study for the time being. [/columns] [columns][color=#A76BC6][font=Book Antiqua][color=FFFFFF]....[/color][size=4]Rackshaw[/color] [font=Book Antiqua][size=4][i]Potion Brewer, He/Him[/i] [font=Book Antiqua]A dragon who is about as dark as his demeanor, as he makes it clear his intentions when it comes to rending magic into a more stable, useable form. Potions, so long as they are brewed correctly, are not liable to explode in your face after all. They are not his only concoctions, it is rare to find him not hunched over a cauldron emitting wafts of noxious fumes. [nextcol][color=FFFFFF].[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF].[/color][nextcol] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66018873][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/660189/66018873p.png[/img][/url][/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/48199094][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/481991/48199094p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua] [color=FFFFFF].....[/color][color=#A76BC6]Avadorai[/color] [i]Cursebreaker, Unhinged Witch, She/Her[/i][/font][/size] [font=book antiqua][size=4]Ava considers her work an art form as much as it is a field of study. Curses, hexes, magical ailments and wonderous objects, all of which cooked up with their own devious little setbacks in mind. Not only does she serve to study them, but also to extract them into wonderous little jars, and keep a collection of these curses as her hoard. For further study, and because each takes on their own, unique form. Her hut is separated from the institute proper, though they regularly outsource their items to her capable claws. [/columns] [columns][color=#A76BC6][font=Book Antiqua][color=FFFFFF]....[/color][size=4]Fitzgerald, AKA "Fizzy"[/color] [font=Book Antiqua][size=4][i]Alchemist, He/Him[/i] [font=Book Antiqua]On the surface, Fitzgerald appears to be a dragon who's always talking himself up. Ever excitable, a bit of a braggart, and will sit and tell anyone who will listen about his experiments, however underdeveloped and experimental they might be. Thus far, his talents seem to be lying in the creation of a fizzy drink, as opposed to anything the Institute would actually be able to use in a scientific context. His other projects don't seem to be nearly as enticing to him, or as successful. Though, there perhaps might be a reason he has not released any of his formulas to the record keepers... [nextcol][color=FFFFFF].[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF].[/color][nextcol] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/47913954][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479140/47913954p.png[/img][/url][/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/48171385][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/481714/48171385p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua] [color=FFFFFF].....[/color][color=#A76BC6]Wake[/color] [i]Dreamseer, Speaker of the Silent, She/Her[/i][/font][/size] [font=book antiqua][size=4]Dreams are as much of a mystery to dragonkind as magic, and there are some who would argue that they are intrinsically linked. Wake would argue this especially, as this is where her specialty lies. Her Seer abilities, granted by her water flight heritage, allow her to walk alongside dragons while they restlessly slumber. She studies how a dragon, or any other magically inclined creature, might weave their magic when they are not fully conscious to do so, how they affect the world around them and how they tap into the source of their power. This has also made her invaluable for communicating with dragons in a state of perpetual sleep, and dreaming. Other dragons would describe her as aloof, or lazy, though this is just the result of spending the majority of her working hours asleep. [/columns] [columns][color=#A76BC6][font=Book Antiqua][color=FFFFFF]....[/color][size=4]Seron[/color] [font=Book Antiqua][size=4][i]Gardener, Former Bloom, She/They[/i] [font=Book Antiqua]How do you describe a dragon who wishes she was not? How can you look into her eyes and see the sadness and loss like a torrent of water, washing you away, targeting every single rough edge until there is nothing left but sand. Returned to the ground, returned to the earth. She is diligent, tending to her garden by nightfall, dutifully experimenting on how different elements might affect the blooms.[nextcol][color=FFFFFF].[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF].[/color][nextcol] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66935772][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/669358/66935772p.png[/img][/url][/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66429109][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/664292/66429109p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fbe3ec5dc0ade7e2d98a58cc141c3b61/tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png[/img][color=FFFFFF]..[/color][nextcol][size=4][font=Book Antiqua] [color=FFFFFF].....[/color][color=#A76BC6]Lucah[/color] [i]Intern, Animal Handler, She/Her[/i][/font][/size] [font=book antiqua][size=4]An aspiring non-fiction author with a health streak and an adoration for animals large and small. She began her journey by taking a job at the SCRM institute, in the hopes it might turn some prospective gazes her way. As it turns out, high academia is not her strong suit. If it weren't for her attentiveness when it comes to reptiles and amphibians, she likely would not have kept the job past her first employee report. Kind, but occasionally filled with a manically nervous energy. [/columns]
8671674p.png ..tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png..
.....Basil
Institute Founder, ???, He/Him

Head Researcher and Founder of the Institute for The Study and Containment of Rampant Magic. A dry, scholarly figure of whom few dragons have interacted with personally. He's content to remain locked in his personal chambers for days on end while Beatrice or another capable dragon keeps their claws full. Anti-social though he may be, he's also responsible for scouting out new talent, and is the reason many of the dragons who work there are employed at all.

....Beatrice
Institute Head, Transformation Magic, She/Her
While Basil might be the one who started it all, most would point to Beatrice as the dragon truly in charge of the SCRM Institute. Beatrice took over after an extended leave of absence from the enigmatic founder, though this was a job title she could never shake afterwards. She was simply better than a reclusive Tundra at keeping things running smoothly. Beatrice is getting on in years however, and the subject of more than a few scandals which make others question her leadership.
.tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png.
8263756p.png

38538970p.png ..tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png..
.....Purus
Head Librarian, She/Her

Purus is quite as sweet as she appears, a studious Tundra dragon who is in charge of the Institute's expansive libraries, filled both with the knowledge of their scientific findings and other accumulated texts and scrolls. These libraries are open to the public, and she's always willing to help studious dragons find the tomes they need. She's a bit scatterbrained however, and often relies on her assistants to help her re-shelve stacks of books. Her pride and joy is her collection of illuminated manuscripts, dating back hundreds of solar cycles.

....Arlo
Secretary, Scheduling Expert, He/Him
With every organization comes those who work behind the scenes to make sure everything ticks. Arlo is that dragon. He mans the front desk, diligently doing his job while directing visitors. As a perfectionist, he does his job well, but harbors some gripes with dragons in charge. He can come across as monotone and sarcastic, but has a sense of humor he hides well.
45440702p.png

66917249p.png ..tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png..
.....Sonar
Mage of Fire, Xe/Xem

Sonar has always felt like xe was lost. Xe had never been particularly good at any one thing, hopping aimlessly from one interest to another, always relying on someone else to make xis choices for xim. When xe applied to be a scientist, the only thing xe really had to go on was the fact that he had experimented with other forms of magic other than Plague. Most dragons thought that devoting xis time to learning Fire magic would end up much the same way, but to everyone's surprise, including xis, xe really had a knack for it. It is not true fire magic, of course. But the ability to produce flame is something that seems to come naturally. Fire seeks to spread and consume all it touches as well, after all.

....Scrivver
Scientist, Not Quite Dead, He/They
Once, he preferred to be known as simply Mint, though he has grown increasingly more morose as he has come to terms with his new condition. One of the Institute's long term goals has been to research magical ways to prolong one's life. Scrivver has certainly achieved that, though he has paid dearly for the attempt. His body is proof of this, half melted off his own skeleton, but he is not dead by any stretch of the word. Currently, he works alongside his rival Aberrant.
67086639p.png

66301464p.png ..tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png..
.....Aberrant
Mycologist, They/Them

If you don't like spores, lichens, rot, or fungi, this dragon will have nothing to do with you. Their obsession with mycology has led to them becoming a living host to a colony of cordyceps, which most agree has had some kind of effect on this dragon's mind. Some even claim that they are being piloted by the fungus. However, due to their mysterious resistance to the fungus plague which has affected Morel, they are allowed freedom of study for the time being.

....Rackshaw
Potion Brewer, He/Him
A dragon who is about as dark as his demeanor, as he makes it clear his intentions when it comes to rending magic into a more stable, useable form. Potions, so long as they are brewed correctly, are not liable to explode in your face after all. They are not his only concoctions, it is rare to find him not hunched over a cauldron emitting wafts of noxious fumes.
66018873p.png

48199094p.png ..tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png..
.....Avadorai
Cursebreaker, Unhinged Witch, She/Her

Ava considers her work an art form as much as it is a field of study. Curses, hexes, magical ailments and wonderous objects, all of which cooked up with their own devious little setbacks in mind. Not only does she serve to study them, but also to extract them into wonderous little jars, and keep a collection of these curses as her hoard. For further study, and because each takes on their own, unique form. Her hut is separated from the institute proper, though they regularly outsource their items to her capable claws.

....Fitzgerald, AKA "Fizzy"
Alchemist, He/Him
On the surface, Fitzgerald appears to be a dragon who's always talking himself up. Ever excitable, a bit of a braggart, and will sit and tell anyone who will listen about his experiments, however underdeveloped and experimental they might be. Thus far, his talents seem to be lying in the creation of a fizzy drink, as opposed to anything the Institute would actually be able to use in a scientific context. His other projects don't seem to be nearly as enticing to him, or as successful. Though, there perhaps might be a reason he has not released any of his formulas to the record keepers...
47913954p.png

48171385p.png ..tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png..
.....Wake
Dreamseer, Speaker of the Silent, She/Her

Dreams are as much of a mystery to dragonkind as magic, and there are some who would argue that they are intrinsically linked. Wake would argue this especially, as this is where her specialty lies. Her Seer abilities, granted by her water flight heritage, allow her to walk alongside dragons while they restlessly slumber. She studies how a dragon, or any other magically inclined creature, might weave their magic when they are not fully conscious to do so, how they affect the world around them and how they tap into the source of their power. This has also made her invaluable for communicating with dragons in a state of perpetual sleep, and dreaming. Other dragons would describe her as aloof, or lazy, though this is just the result of spending the majority of her working hours asleep.

....Seron
Gardener, Former Bloom, She/They
How do you describe a dragon who wishes she was not? How can you look into her eyes and see the sadness and loss like a torrent of water, washing you away, targeting every single rough edge until there is nothing left but sand. Returned to the ground, returned to the earth. She is diligent, tending to her garden by nightfall, dutifully experimenting on how different elements might affect the blooms.
66935772p.png

66429109p.png ..tumblr_inline_pajomfjxau1qhoueb_75sq.png..
.....Lucah
Intern, Animal Handler, She/Her

An aspiring non-fiction author with a health streak and an adoration for animals large and small. She began her journey by taking a job at the SCRM institute, in the hopes it might turn some prospective gazes her way. As it turns out, high academia is not her strong suit. If it weren't for her attentiveness when it comes to reptiles and amphibians, she likely would not have kept the job past her first employee report. Kind, but occasionally filled with a manically nervous energy.
Another character reserve, just in case.
Another character reserve, just in case.
Third character reserve, to be extra safe.
Third character reserve, to be extra safe.
Credit
F2U Graphics for the moon pixel.
Night Sky Bio Graphics for the banner.
Credit
F2U Graphics for the moon pixel.
Night Sky Bio Graphics for the banner.