Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Spiced W(h)ine
1 2 3 4 5
SPICED W(H)INE

When a man from a reality far, far beyond Sornieth finds himself trapped in a world of Dragons and Magic, he discovers he is not the only one caught in something beyond his control.

Forced into the company of an impossible ideal bound to a physical form and a bard incapable of singing, Muddle struggles against a universe that extends so much farther than he could ever imagine-- A universe that, unbeknownst to its inhabitants, is beginning to unravel....

Updates Bi-Weekly to Weekly

{PRELUDE} {CURRENT} {EXITLUDE}

{CHARACTERS} {FAQ} {EXTRAS}

SPICED W(H)INE

When a man from a reality far, far beyond Sornieth finds himself trapped in a world of Dragons and Magic, he discovers he is not the only one caught in something beyond his control.

Forced into the company of an impossible ideal bound to a physical form and a bard incapable of singing, Muddle struggles against a universe that extends so much farther than he could ever imagine-- A universe that, unbeknownst to its inhabitants, is beginning to unravel....

Updates Bi-Weekly to Weekly

{PRELUDE} {CURRENT} {EXITLUDE}

{CHARACTERS} {FAQ} {EXTRAS}

.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
F.A.Q.

Q: Is this about Flight Rising?
A: Yes, though it might seem like it at first, this is a story set (mostly) within the world of Sornieth.

Q: Can I comment in this thread?
A: Absolutely! I love feedback and would love to see users' reactions to SW first hand :}}

Q: When do you update?
A: Every Sunday, unless I say otherwise.... If I have extra time in my schedule there will be occasional Wednesday updates as well.
F.A.Q.

Q: Is this about Flight Rising?
A: Yes, though it might seem like it at first, this is a story set (mostly) within the world of Sornieth.

Q: Can I comment in this thread?
A: Absolutely! I love feedback and would love to see users' reactions to SW first hand :}}

Q: When do you update?
A: Every Sunday, unless I say otherwise.... If I have extra time in my schedule there will be occasional Wednesday updates as well.
.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
[center][font=times new roman][size=5]CHARACTERS[/size][/font][/center] ----- [center][font=times new roman][size=4]MAIN[/size][/font][/center] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=52097&tab=dragon&did=34224201][img]https://i.imgur.com/l7X6eqF.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color= transparent].....[/color][nextcol][b]Muddle[/b] light fae he/him/his formerly human tiny and scarred with badly tattered wings first appearance: {[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2333445#post_30783797]x[/url]}[/columns] [columns][color=transparent]............................................................................[/color][nextcol][b]Lyric[/b] wind imperial she/her/hers traveling bard mid-sized with thick legs and a broken right antler first appearance: {[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2333445#post_30800396]x[/url]}[nextcol][color=transparent]...[/color][nextcol] [right][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=52097&tab=dragon&did=37341453][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZcWaGJ1.png[/img][/url][/right][/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=dragon&id=52097&did=34079674][img]https://i.imgur.com/7JntlPO.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color= transparent].....[/color][nextcol][b]Virtue[/b] ???? pearlcatcher they/them/theirs mysterious healer very large and muscular with a thin scar between the base of their wings first appearance: {[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2333445/3#post_31511246]x[/url]}[/columns]
CHARACTERS

MAIN

l7X6eqF.png ..... Muddle

light fae

he/him/his

formerly human

tiny and scarred with
badly tattered wings

first appearance: {x}
............................................................................ Lyric

wind imperial

she/her/hers

traveling bard

mid-sized with thick legs
and a broken right antler

ZcWaGJ1.png

7JntlPO.png ..... Virtue

???? pearlcatcher

they/them/theirs

mysterious healer

very large and muscular
with a thin scar between
the base of their wings

.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
EXTRAS

EXTRAS

.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
Prelude: The Song to Start It

“But, in the very beginning of things, there was a Song.
And in the Song all beings– endless and worthless, solid and shapeless– found a definition for themselves.”

(The sky is so blue then, she can hardly believe it– Plodding, slouching out behind the wake of him– Watching them lower it into the ground like a mangled snake, like–)

“And the Song itself was all things, worthless and wise, and spun itself out into the future so far that it left every last flickering star behind it; trailing itself in places the rest of the universe had not yet reached.”

(Those eyes– Swollen five times themselves and then caved right back in… Her mother wrapping a cloth around what remained while her nose hummed and her throat ached with it– The smell of it, the SOUND of it–)

“So the Song was wicked. The Song was noble. The Song wrapped itself around the world and seeped into every canyon and craig until the world was held together by its sound…”

(why?
She can taste that in the back of her throat like a metallic buzzing: why?why?why?Why?WHY?
And she watches them tuck it into the place they had dug out, and she can only hear the buzzing in the back of her throat. And there is no melody in it– no reason she could ever believe…
)

{NEXT>} {EXITLUDE}
Prelude: The Song to Start It

“But, in the very beginning of things, there was a Song.
And in the Song all beings– endless and worthless, solid and shapeless– found a definition for themselves.”

(The sky is so blue then, she can hardly believe it– Plodding, slouching out behind the wake of him– Watching them lower it into the ground like a mangled snake, like–)

“And the Song itself was all things, worthless and wise, and spun itself out into the future so far that it left every last flickering star behind it; trailing itself in places the rest of the universe had not yet reached.”

(Those eyes– Swollen five times themselves and then caved right back in… Her mother wrapping a cloth around what remained while her nose hummed and her throat ached with it– The smell of it, the SOUND of it–)

“So the Song was wicked. The Song was noble. The Song wrapped itself around the world and seeped into every canyon and craig until the world was held together by its sound…”

(why?
She can taste that in the back of her throat like a metallic buzzing: why?why?why?Why?WHY?
And she watches them tuck it into the place they had dug out, and she can only hear the buzzing in the back of her throat. And there is no melody in it– no reason she could ever believe…
)

{NEXT>} {EXITLUDE}
.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
Chapter 1: The City and The Grotto with The Creature In It

It was the first week of October and Matthew Modell was walking down Pierro Avenue with his hands stuffed in his pockets and the wind at his back. The sun had barely risen and hovered just above the line of grey buildings like a hazy, pale eye, that seemed to radiate the miserable October cold despite its natural purpose.

Useless, contradictory.

Matthew Modell looked up at it and then back at the street ahead.

There were only two other people in sight: a homeless woman propped against a bundle of ragged suitcases in a way that made her look dead and a jogger who had stopped to fiddle with his earbuds. Matthew Modell felt a flicker of wicked interest at the sight of the possible body but passed them both quickly– his long legs cutting the squares of the sidewalk in half as he strode over them. He turned sharply into an alley, paused at the mouth, and looked back out into the street.

The jogger pounded past without looking.
The homeless woman’s foot jerked slightly.
Matthew Modell felt a tinge of disappointment and checked for anyone else.

Nothing.

He moved further in, leaning against wall so covered in graffiti that all of it had faded together– his hair a splotch of bright auburn against it

Heart thudding in his ears, Matthew Modell– known as “Muddle” for reasons he refused to mention even to those he pretended to like– pulled his right hand from his pocket and watched The Ring flash in the pale, freezing light. The slender gold band hummed against his skin. Low, inaudible humming.

It carried a kind of impossible sturdiness compared to its slender build and seemed to reflect light from similarly impossible angles. Sharp, fantastic angles. And, when Muddle looked at it, something bright and powerful rippled up through his fingers.

Which came as no surprise, considering The Ring was magic.

Muddle slid the pad of his left pointer along the curve and sighed, trying not to shiver from the cold. A car rumbled past and Muddle blinked slowly, scrutinizing the mouth of the alley with sharp indecision.

“I guess–” he said quietly and then paused as the not-dead homeless woman slogged past.

A shake of his head. There was no use avoiding the thing he had come here to do… So he focused on the opposite wall until he found the place where the wall itself shimmered ever so slightly, and stepped through.

The city around him dissolved into a high, glittering ceiling that reflected the delicate patterns of the wide, meandering stream below. The pale, cold light becoming rich, thick darkness with visibility as sharp and easy to see through as the middle of a sunny day. The sounds of distant traffic and the emptiness of the early morning streets swelled into the sourceless music he’d been hearing ever since he’d first come here– a long, drawling sound Muddle couldn’t associate with any one instrument… One that sent The Ring humming and jerking on his finger so that Muddle flinched and looked down at it.

After a moment, The Ring settled back into the steady thrum he was accustomed to and Muddle edged further in.

The Grotto was warmer than he remembered and Muddle resisted the urge to strip off his jacket, instead stepping further away from the shimmering space behind him. All around him were the same gloomy shapes of the underground pines, the mountains of treasure– peppered with gold and precious gems and objects too wonderful and odd for him to know the true value of– and the same two “landmarks”: a single dark pine the size of a small building with bows that groaned under their own weight and the massive, open-mouthed skeleton of a Dragon half submerged in one of the larger mounds of treasure.

Muddle shuddered despite himself and closed his right hand into a fist. The Ring dug into his finger– powerful, solid.

Real.

He inhaled slowly,
It happened. It is happening. These three weeks, they’ve all been–

Somewhere in the The Grotto he thought he heard a very large thing stir and his breath caught in his throat. His left hand darted to touch the ring as the music played on uninterrupted. A beat. Muddle swallowed, gripped again by the familiar feeling of how wrong his presence here was– How he’d never wanted to hear the haunting sounds of the playerless music or see that hideous skeleton…
His ears were pulsing with his own heartbeat and the imagined sound of his mind repeating, youshouldn’tbehereyoushouldn’tbehereyoushouldn’t–

But the dream— And those sounds– He needed to–

“Back again?”

A huge, oozing head materialized in the darkness, The Creature’s spiny, tricky body following suit– spraying ribbons of inky slurry that smelled like a mixture of gasoline and sugary fruit-punch.

Muddle froze, unable to scream as The Creature dipped its massive head towards him. The Creature peered at him through through its foggy eyes, snorted, and then laughed– splattering Muddle with a ribbon of slurry so thick it almost knocked him over. Stumbling backwards, his mouth parted and small squeak of air escaped.

“Wha–?”

“Is that all?” the Creature said and rolled back onto its haunches so that the tips of its head-spines scraped the ceiling of The Grotto, “I thought you’d have more to say in your defense, Insect– Considering you felt it necessary to steal one of my beloved treasures.”

The Creature pulled its mouth into a curious, dangerous expression: something like a smile but too weighted with a secret intent to be reassuring.

“I would have even accepted– No, make that preferred– begging to an explanation but–”

“I– D-d-don’t–” he managed and cleared his throat quickly, recovering with a quiet but firm, “I didn’t steal anything.”

He felt The Ring sing through him as he tightened his fist.

“Interrupting is one thing, but interrupting and lying all in the same breath…”

The Creature let out a long, labored sigh and thrust its head towards him again– hitting him with another spray of slurry, which sent him sprawling into a mound of treasure with a cry and a clatter.

“Whatever you are, Insect, you seem to be immeasurably stupid,” it said, with thinly veiled amusement, “So I’ll– perhaps– humor you for a moment: Do you know who I am?”

Muddle shook his head before he even considered the question. The Creature sighed again,

“Stupid and a Liar,” The Creature let out a small laugh, the slurry dribbling down its plated neck, “But I can work around that, I can work around anything,” something flashed in its foggy, glowing eyes, “Do you know what I am?”

“You’re,” Muddle did his best not to shake, “You’re a Dragon.”

“Stupid then, but not so stupid– Perhaps just foolish…”

Muddle was trying to stand up as inconspicuously as possible, his eyes darting to the shimmer he’d come through. But the slurry was thick and it seemed as though it were trying to pull him into it.

“I wouldn’t try that,” The Creature said, it’s eyes following his own to the shimmer. Another soft laugh. It extended it massive right hand over him and Muddle dropped into a crouch, cowering for a moment before he realize The Creature was reaching for the shimmer. It laughed again.

“Cowardly, Not-so-Stupid, Liar, Insect… I’m almost curious enough to bother asking what it is, exactly you are,” it passed its claws over the shimmer, which rippled violently before it disappeared. Then, ignoring the noise of protest from Muddle, continued, “I do have some questions for you though– But they’re mostly about that Ring and not about you. But first…”

The Creature leaned towards him,

“Give me back my Ring, Insect.”

“I d–” Muddle started and then paused, staring down at his hands. His face looked puckered for a moment and then relaxed as if he had come to some dark revelation.

The Creature towered above him and he kept his eyes on the ground so he wouldn’t shake when he spoke,

“Why do you want it? If you’re so powerful then why would you even–”

His fingers were beginning to trace the rim of The Ring– It sang through him to make and to take and– He tried to imagine The Creature as something else, something terrible and small and–

“Are you trying,” The Creature’s said in a kind of bemused disbelief, “To use my own magic against me?”

With a low purr it plucked him off the ground and held him eye level between two of its massive claws; their tips cutting into him carelessly. He tried to scream, to struggle, but couldn’t. The Creature watched him struggle with a look of muted satisfaction. Muddle’s face felt hot and twitchy.

“Put m-me d– I wasn’t– You can’t–” he managed to shout, his voice high and desperate from the pain, “You can’t–”

“I’m taking back what I said before, Insect, you are Stupid after all,” it dug its claw-tips deeper and Muddle grimaced as he felt something warm seeping through his undershirt, “I would suggest showing a flicker of sense and apologizing before I dispose of every part of you that isn’t holding my Ring.”

It tapped one claw from its free hand against its chin,

“That’s not to say I won’t still dispose of you after you give me back my ring but,” The Creature shrugged, “It will probably improve the speed and quality of the disposing method.”

Muddle’s eyes widened and he tried, again, to struggle, groaning as The Creature tightened its grip.

“If you’re so m-magical,” he hissed, his left hand closing over his right stiffly, “Why d-d-do you even need it? Couldn’t you just m-make another one? I just–”

”Coward. Stupid. Liar. Insect. And now Impudent. You must really want what’s coming to you now…”

Muddle’s focus shifted as The Ring sang through him again, and he tried to direct it towards The Creature. Make it small. Do it quickly. Do it now– But The Creature remained as large and oozing as before.

Why isn’t it working? he thought, his mind burning with fear. Was he going to die in The Grotto–? Before I just had to concentrate and– But nothing’s happening, why is–?

Gritting his teeth in a mixture of pain and concentration, he made one last, grand attempt to push the sensation of the humming into The Creature– The Grotto was swallowed by a flash of harsh, burning light. Muddle’s ears rung with a sharp whining sound that echoed out and back again until it was little more than a muffled version of itself, and he felt his body spasm and twist with the noise. It shuddered through him– His bones bucking up and crumpling and– he was certain– shattering from the force– He couldn’t breath– Something was squeezing the air out of him– The sound or the heat or the light or The Creature or– What had, he thought, been the sounds of his own screams rising until…

In an instant it was over and Muddle found himself submerged in a new, non-transparent darkness with only the sounds of his own breathing. Something soft and familiar pressed against him. And, in that moment of near silence, he almost believed he had escaped– Or, at the very least woken from a terrible, long dream. But then The Creature spoke, its voice booming from all around him,

“You’ve really done it now, Insect.”

{PRELUDE} {NEXT>} {EXITLUDE}
Chapter 1: The City and The Grotto with The Creature In It

It was the first week of October and Matthew Modell was walking down Pierro Avenue with his hands stuffed in his pockets and the wind at his back. The sun had barely risen and hovered just above the line of grey buildings like a hazy, pale eye, that seemed to radiate the miserable October cold despite its natural purpose.

Useless, contradictory.

Matthew Modell looked up at it and then back at the street ahead.

There were only two other people in sight: a homeless woman propped against a bundle of ragged suitcases in a way that made her look dead and a jogger who had stopped to fiddle with his earbuds. Matthew Modell felt a flicker of wicked interest at the sight of the possible body but passed them both quickly– his long legs cutting the squares of the sidewalk in half as he strode over them. He turned sharply into an alley, paused at the mouth, and looked back out into the street.

The jogger pounded past without looking.
The homeless woman’s foot jerked slightly.
Matthew Modell felt a tinge of disappointment and checked for anyone else.

Nothing.

He moved further in, leaning against wall so covered in graffiti that all of it had faded together– his hair a splotch of bright auburn against it

Heart thudding in his ears, Matthew Modell– known as “Muddle” for reasons he refused to mention even to those he pretended to like– pulled his right hand from his pocket and watched The Ring flash in the pale, freezing light. The slender gold band hummed against his skin. Low, inaudible humming.

It carried a kind of impossible sturdiness compared to its slender build and seemed to reflect light from similarly impossible angles. Sharp, fantastic angles. And, when Muddle looked at it, something bright and powerful rippled up through his fingers.

Which came as no surprise, considering The Ring was magic.

Muddle slid the pad of his left pointer along the curve and sighed, trying not to shiver from the cold. A car rumbled past and Muddle blinked slowly, scrutinizing the mouth of the alley with sharp indecision.

“I guess–” he said quietly and then paused as the not-dead homeless woman slogged past.

A shake of his head. There was no use avoiding the thing he had come here to do… So he focused on the opposite wall until he found the place where the wall itself shimmered ever so slightly, and stepped through.

The city around him dissolved into a high, glittering ceiling that reflected the delicate patterns of the wide, meandering stream below. The pale, cold light becoming rich, thick darkness with visibility as sharp and easy to see through as the middle of a sunny day. The sounds of distant traffic and the emptiness of the early morning streets swelled into the sourceless music he’d been hearing ever since he’d first come here– a long, drawling sound Muddle couldn’t associate with any one instrument… One that sent The Ring humming and jerking on his finger so that Muddle flinched and looked down at it.

After a moment, The Ring settled back into the steady thrum he was accustomed to and Muddle edged further in.

The Grotto was warmer than he remembered and Muddle resisted the urge to strip off his jacket, instead stepping further away from the shimmering space behind him. All around him were the same gloomy shapes of the underground pines, the mountains of treasure– peppered with gold and precious gems and objects too wonderful and odd for him to know the true value of– and the same two “landmarks”: a single dark pine the size of a small building with bows that groaned under their own weight and the massive, open-mouthed skeleton of a Dragon half submerged in one of the larger mounds of treasure.

Muddle shuddered despite himself and closed his right hand into a fist. The Ring dug into his finger– powerful, solid.

Real.

He inhaled slowly,
It happened. It is happening. These three weeks, they’ve all been–

Somewhere in the The Grotto he thought he heard a very large thing stir and his breath caught in his throat. His left hand darted to touch the ring as the music played on uninterrupted. A beat. Muddle swallowed, gripped again by the familiar feeling of how wrong his presence here was– How he’d never wanted to hear the haunting sounds of the playerless music or see that hideous skeleton…
His ears were pulsing with his own heartbeat and the imagined sound of his mind repeating, youshouldn’tbehereyoushouldn’tbehereyoushouldn’t–

But the dream— And those sounds– He needed to–

“Back again?”

A huge, oozing head materialized in the darkness, The Creature’s spiny, tricky body following suit– spraying ribbons of inky slurry that smelled like a mixture of gasoline and sugary fruit-punch.

Muddle froze, unable to scream as The Creature dipped its massive head towards him. The Creature peered at him through through its foggy eyes, snorted, and then laughed– splattering Muddle with a ribbon of slurry so thick it almost knocked him over. Stumbling backwards, his mouth parted and small squeak of air escaped.

“Wha–?”

“Is that all?” the Creature said and rolled back onto its haunches so that the tips of its head-spines scraped the ceiling of The Grotto, “I thought you’d have more to say in your defense, Insect– Considering you felt it necessary to steal one of my beloved treasures.”

The Creature pulled its mouth into a curious, dangerous expression: something like a smile but too weighted with a secret intent to be reassuring.

“I would have even accepted– No, make that preferred– begging to an explanation but–”

“I– D-d-don’t–” he managed and cleared his throat quickly, recovering with a quiet but firm, “I didn’t steal anything.”

He felt The Ring sing through him as he tightened his fist.

“Interrupting is one thing, but interrupting and lying all in the same breath…”

The Creature let out a long, labored sigh and thrust its head towards him again– hitting him with another spray of slurry, which sent him sprawling into a mound of treasure with a cry and a clatter.

“Whatever you are, Insect, you seem to be immeasurably stupid,” it said, with thinly veiled amusement, “So I’ll– perhaps– humor you for a moment: Do you know who I am?”

Muddle shook his head before he even considered the question. The Creature sighed again,

“Stupid and a Liar,” The Creature let out a small laugh, the slurry dribbling down its plated neck, “But I can work around that, I can work around anything,” something flashed in its foggy, glowing eyes, “Do you know what I am?”

“You’re,” Muddle did his best not to shake, “You’re a Dragon.”

“Stupid then, but not so stupid– Perhaps just foolish…”

Muddle was trying to stand up as inconspicuously as possible, his eyes darting to the shimmer he’d come through. But the slurry was thick and it seemed as though it were trying to pull him into it.

“I wouldn’t try that,” The Creature said, it’s eyes following his own to the shimmer. Another soft laugh. It extended it massive right hand over him and Muddle dropped into a crouch, cowering for a moment before he realize The Creature was reaching for the shimmer. It laughed again.

“Cowardly, Not-so-Stupid, Liar, Insect… I’m almost curious enough to bother asking what it is, exactly you are,” it passed its claws over the shimmer, which rippled violently before it disappeared. Then, ignoring the noise of protest from Muddle, continued, “I do have some questions for you though– But they’re mostly about that Ring and not about you. But first…”

The Creature leaned towards him,

“Give me back my Ring, Insect.”

“I d–” Muddle started and then paused, staring down at his hands. His face looked puckered for a moment and then relaxed as if he had come to some dark revelation.

The Creature towered above him and he kept his eyes on the ground so he wouldn’t shake when he spoke,

“Why do you want it? If you’re so powerful then why would you even–”

His fingers were beginning to trace the rim of The Ring– It sang through him to make and to take and– He tried to imagine The Creature as something else, something terrible and small and–

“Are you trying,” The Creature’s said in a kind of bemused disbelief, “To use my own magic against me?”

With a low purr it plucked him off the ground and held him eye level between two of its massive claws; their tips cutting into him carelessly. He tried to scream, to struggle, but couldn’t. The Creature watched him struggle with a look of muted satisfaction. Muddle’s face felt hot and twitchy.

“Put m-me d– I wasn’t– You can’t–” he managed to shout, his voice high and desperate from the pain, “You can’t–”

“I’m taking back what I said before, Insect, you are Stupid after all,” it dug its claw-tips deeper and Muddle grimaced as he felt something warm seeping through his undershirt, “I would suggest showing a flicker of sense and apologizing before I dispose of every part of you that isn’t holding my Ring.”

It tapped one claw from its free hand against its chin,

“That’s not to say I won’t still dispose of you after you give me back my ring but,” The Creature shrugged, “It will probably improve the speed and quality of the disposing method.”

Muddle’s eyes widened and he tried, again, to struggle, groaning as The Creature tightened its grip.

“If you’re so m-magical,” he hissed, his left hand closing over his right stiffly, “Why d-d-do you even need it? Couldn’t you just m-make another one? I just–”

”Coward. Stupid. Liar. Insect. And now Impudent. You must really want what’s coming to you now…”

Muddle’s focus shifted as The Ring sang through him again, and he tried to direct it towards The Creature. Make it small. Do it quickly. Do it now– But The Creature remained as large and oozing as before.

Why isn’t it working? he thought, his mind burning with fear. Was he going to die in The Grotto–? Before I just had to concentrate and– But nothing’s happening, why is–?

Gritting his teeth in a mixture of pain and concentration, he made one last, grand attempt to push the sensation of the humming into The Creature– The Grotto was swallowed by a flash of harsh, burning light. Muddle’s ears rung with a sharp whining sound that echoed out and back again until it was little more than a muffled version of itself, and he felt his body spasm and twist with the noise. It shuddered through him– His bones bucking up and crumpling and– he was certain– shattering from the force– He couldn’t breath– Something was squeezing the air out of him– The sound or the heat or the light or The Creature or– What had, he thought, been the sounds of his own screams rising until…

In an instant it was over and Muddle found himself submerged in a new, non-transparent darkness with only the sounds of his own breathing. Something soft and familiar pressed against him. And, in that moment of near silence, he almost believed he had escaped– Or, at the very least woken from a terrible, long dream. But then The Creature spoke, its voice booming from all around him,

“You’ve really done it now, Insect.”

{PRELUDE} {NEXT>} {EXITLUDE}
.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
Chapter 2: Snow Shapes, Alright.

Lyric was kicking up the snow.

She sunk her claws deep into the banks and hurled up the powder over her, fluttering her wings so the spray bucked and arched across her long, scaly body.

“Snow, snow, snow–” she repeated, twisting back on herself and spinning until she fell with a loud thud on her back. Breathless and flushed under her eyes, she let out a long, bright sigh, “This is so amazing…”

The sky seemed impossibly blue from the cold and she kept counting how long her great puffing breaths took to fade into the vastness of it. Her scales felt stiff and raw but she nestled further into the snow– curling towards her haunches to retrieve The Script from its holster.

“Alright,” she pushed her body further into the powder, “Alright and alright.”

The Script was massive and solid– it’s pages visibly ragged from time and wear– and she held it as high as her short arms would allow and tried to blot out the sun with its shape.

“Alright.”

Lyric shivered and tucked The Script close to her chest and repeated the word again, this time with a new quiet uncertainty.

A small train of Tundra galloped past, sending fans of snow into the air. Lyric watched them with interest and almost called out to them– Almost.

“Focus,” she said aloud and settled The Script on her chest, propping herself on her elbows so that she could see the frozen plain better. There were a few other dragons traveling through the snow, but they paid her little to no attention– despite her odd placement. After all, how many Imperials spent their days frolicking through The Southern Icefield? Especially when it was already winter everywhere else and…

Two kinds of winters, she thought and felt a new chill creep into her for a moment before,

“Alright,” she gave The Script a final, loving look and then twisted to tuck in back into its holster.

Focus. Focus.

For a moment she could almost feel the nip of the careless Plateau winds– They’d be setting the young shoots into the hovering greenhouses, their claws working up and down their bamboo flutes with such charming effortlessness…

Lyric shook her head.

Focus.

“The reasons you came here and all that…” she sat up and edged her haunches under the rest of her body, pulling herself up to her full height. The plains looked like an endless stretch of white, broken only by the occasional twisted shub or heavily bundled dragon.

In the distance, a cart toting Wildclaw repeated “Rations– Rations for the long Winter, for–”

She turned away so that the wind swelled in her ears. It left a low, long sound in her mind.

“A whistle to a wail– Stac was right! He really…” she folded her hands together and shivered, realizing how cold she suddenly felt.

Lyric allowed it for a moment and then squared her shoulders and dropped onto all fours, trekking back towards the settlement she had come from– making shapes in the snow as she went. The Script bounced against her flank and she kept reminding herself why she’d actually–

Alright. Alright. And alright.

{PRELUDE} {<BACK} {NEXT>} {EXITLUDE}
Chapter 2: Snow Shapes, Alright.

Lyric was kicking up the snow.

She sunk her claws deep into the banks and hurled up the powder over her, fluttering her wings so the spray bucked and arched across her long, scaly body.

“Snow, snow, snow–” she repeated, twisting back on herself and spinning until she fell with a loud thud on her back. Breathless and flushed under her eyes, she let out a long, bright sigh, “This is so amazing…”

The sky seemed impossibly blue from the cold and she kept counting how long her great puffing breaths took to fade into the vastness of it. Her scales felt stiff and raw but she nestled further into the snow– curling towards her haunches to retrieve The Script from its holster.

“Alright,” she pushed her body further into the powder, “Alright and alright.”

The Script was massive and solid– it’s pages visibly ragged from time and wear– and she held it as high as her short arms would allow and tried to blot out the sun with its shape.

“Alright.”

Lyric shivered and tucked The Script close to her chest and repeated the word again, this time with a new quiet uncertainty.

A small train of Tundra galloped past, sending fans of snow into the air. Lyric watched them with interest and almost called out to them– Almost.

“Focus,” she said aloud and settled The Script on her chest, propping herself on her elbows so that she could see the frozen plain better. There were a few other dragons traveling through the snow, but they paid her little to no attention– despite her odd placement. After all, how many Imperials spent their days frolicking through The Southern Icefield? Especially when it was already winter everywhere else and…

Two kinds of winters, she thought and felt a new chill creep into her for a moment before,

“Alright,” she gave The Script a final, loving look and then twisted to tuck in back into its holster.

Focus. Focus.

For a moment she could almost feel the nip of the careless Plateau winds– They’d be setting the young shoots into the hovering greenhouses, their claws working up and down their bamboo flutes with such charming effortlessness…

Lyric shook her head.

Focus.

“The reasons you came here and all that…” she sat up and edged her haunches under the rest of her body, pulling herself up to her full height. The plains looked like an endless stretch of white, broken only by the occasional twisted shub or heavily bundled dragon.

In the distance, a cart toting Wildclaw repeated “Rations– Rations for the long Winter, for–”

She turned away so that the wind swelled in her ears. It left a low, long sound in her mind.

“A whistle to a wail– Stac was right! He really…” she folded her hands together and shivered, realizing how cold she suddenly felt.

Lyric allowed it for a moment and then squared her shoulders and dropped onto all fours, trekking back towards the settlement she had come from– making shapes in the snow as she went. The Script bounced against her flank and she kept reminding herself why she’d actually–

Alright. Alright. And alright.

.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
Chapter 3: Best Wishes, You Insufferable Little Insect

The Creature’s voice was so loud Muddle felt his teeth rattle. He kicked out against the soft darkness and felt it give, following the loose paths until he burst into the sharp, metallic air of The Grotto. The massive claws of The Creature had cupped over him slightly and he looked down and felt his head spin from the distance between them and the ground. The ragged ends of his jacket had caught on the tip of one of the claws that had previously held him and the fabric cradled him like–

Wait–?
The folds of fabric around him… Why were they so–?

Suddenly The Creature let out low, long hiss, splattering the slurry against the ceiling of The Grotto.

“Stupid. Stupid!” then suddenly it laughed, “It’s almost funny though– A Fae, of all things? Did you really think you could trap me in such an ugly little form? And how it’s gotten flung onto you– Insect. Shade’s screams, I was so right about you!”

Its voice had become even louder than before and Muddle reached up to steady his head– and froze: Where his hands should have been, two spindly, clawed ones flexed and twitched–

He leapt back with a small cry, as if these strange new appendages had tried to bite him, spluttering and stuttering,

“What d-d-did– I–?!! H-how–?!?”

“Don’t pretend you don’t understand, Insect,” Muddle tumbled down into the belly of his clothes as The Creature pulled its claws close to one of its massive foggy eyes, “I warned you… Warned you when I should have just…”

There was a sound like something stiff and massive grinding hard against one of the mounds of treasure, The Creature’s voice was slowly becoming sharper, the vicious humor from before fading into a new dangerous anticipation, “Now…”

Muddle’s world spun and shook and, after a moment of desperately trying to cling to the inner lining of his jacket, he tumbled onto The Creature’s palm. His cell phone clattered beside him and next to it…

Muddle dove for The Ring only to find it had become much larger than before. Stiffer and paler too, and– Muddle looked down at the hands that held it and felt his body shiver. Something light and new flicked against his neck and Muddle made a noise of surprise.

“Change m-me back–” he blurted out, registering how much higher, shriller his voice was, and grimaced, “I– I’ll give you it back– I’ll d-d-do whatever you– But… But you can’t–”

“Shut up, Insect,” The Creature hissed and flicked its wrist, launching Muddle into the air and then catching him one the pad of one of its other fingers, “You’re starting to add on other nasty aspects to my view of you– Not that it wasn’t nasty to begin with, but…”

Muddle cowered where he had fallen, curling his new, long body inwards. He clutched The Ring, trying to find the way it had sang through him before, but heard– felt– nothing.

“Boring,” The Creature said, its eyes narrowing, “And Annoying. That’s two more unpleasant aspects, Fae Insect. Give it to me or–”

“Please I–” he squeaked, despite himself, the plea becoming a scream as The Creature tipped its hand sideways so that Muddle slid off the side.

Spinning, writhing as he fell, Muddle let go of The Ring as he clutched at empty air and shadows with his new repulsive stringy hands– Afraid they would become the last thing he ever saw. And they might have been not for something strange and almost heavy that stretched out from behind him…

He rolled over himself– something stiff and fleshy smacking him in the face– and felt his body jerk suddenly upwards only to slow and drift down through the air. Muddle blinked dizzily down at the distant ground and felt his stomach turn a loop of its own and–

The Ring.

Muddle looked between both hideous hands and then sucked in a sharp, small breath, swiveling his head around frantically in such a way that he saw why he had (mostly) stopped falling: Two large wine red wings were stretched above him, trailing odd teardrop shaped fleshy plumage behind them.

Those are…?

Muddle gagged and the wings twitched and folded– spending him hurtling towards one of the higher mounds, which he hit with another tiny shriek. The coins and jewels around him rippled and chittered against each other and Muddle, for a brief terrible moment, thought they were alive… He reared up from the indent he had made, his body hot and rubbery with the pain. One of the light, new parts of him crinkled up against his cheek and he swatted at it despite how he ached.

“Insect.”

“Whatever you d-d-did just–” he began, looking up just as his breath caught in his throat.

Before The Creature had seemed impossibly large but now… Now it blotted out everything above him– stretching endlessly in all directions. His mouth moved again but nothing came out.

“My ring.”

Muddle swallowed, the treasure rattling under him as he shook, and tried to find where the golden band had fallen. Perhaps if he could find it he could change himself back or, at the very least bargain with The Creature– Perhaps…

Please, please, please– God, I can’t die here– I–

He thought of the sounds she had made with her head tucked into the crook of her elbow and–

Out of the corner of his eye, Muddle saw something vibrate against the side of a splintered wooden chest.

“I d-d–” he rasped and then shook his head as slowly as he could manage. The light, new parts pulled up and he felt the skin of his neck tighten, “I d-d-dropped it.”

“Liar,” The Creature loomed over him, its smile eager with an idea Muddle never wanted to discover, “I already knew that about you though. Predictable– I’ll add that to your list.”

A snort. The slurry rained down. Muddle tottered on two legs, trying to inch towards the splintered chest.

“Annoying. Boring. Predictable. Stupid. Liar. Coward. Insect… So many aspects. I don’t have time to entertain all of them…” The Creature lifted it massive right hand above the mound Muddle was on, “And I can search for my ring all by my lonesome, Insect.”

As it moved, Muddle scrambled forwards on all fours, kicking gems and gold as he skidded and floundered towards The Ring. The tips of the spindly hands slid through the hole and he pulled it towards himself just as the darkness of The Creature’s scales closed over everything–

Muddle shrieked and half inhaled a knot of silk that was so fine it cut his face– Treasure was rolling all around him– grinding and squeezing and— He tried to kick through the pressure and darkness as the muffled, gleeful voice of The Creature,

“Best wishes, you insufferable little Insect– May whatever soft god you worship spit in your face for all eternity–!”

Muddle could see the bright, clear darkness of The Grotto through the slits in the treasure and pushed towards it as The Creature’s claws tightened again. He couldn’t breath– He was going to die– He shouldn’t have ever–

With a gasp and clatter, Muddle tumbled out onto The Grotto floor. His head was spinning and he felt as though he had been broken seven different ways, but he slid The Ring onto his left wrist and took off in a run. The Creature snorted and then laughed– Muddle heard the sound of the slurry splattering again and felt suddenly sick to his stomach. He listed sideways and skidded onto his side, a splash of the dark, lurid substance peppered his left leg. It burned.

With a gasp he righted himself and scrambled onwards–

Please, please, please, please–

His claws scrabbled against a new mound of treasure and he pushed to the top only to find himself face to skull with the massive Dragon skeleton.

“Stupid,” The Creature laughed and the slurry rained around him– oozing up towards the skeleton and dragging globs of gold and jewels with it. These clusters began to creep up the bones of the Dragon, covering it until it looked like a lopsided, glittering version of itself. Muddle froze, watching it take shape– despite himself.

Then its leg twitched.

He let out a cry and the light, new parts of him slapped the sides of his neck as he skittered down the other side of the mound.

“Retrieve him,” said The Creature.

Behind him, Muddle heard the sound of something large and loose moving against the mound. He tried to leap forward and look back at the same time– his wings flaring up and sending him tumbling into the trunk of one of the dark pines. The world blurred and he glanced behind him with his eyes still spinning. The golden, shifting Dragon was padding towards him like a trained animal– it’s teeth flashing.

Muddle felt a hum and looked at The Ring, his mouth open– slack-jawed and stupid. The shadow of the Dragon fell over him.

“Please– please I– St-stop–”

There was a jolt that pulsed through him, as if someone had slapped him hard on the shoulder, and he saw a shimmer flicker just ahead of him. The same kind of shimmer he had come through. He staggered towards it just as something jagged cut into a part of him.

Muddle screamed and buckled, his body held by the massive, shining jaws of the the Dragon. And just ahead… Muddle felt part of him lashing out and struggling and followed the impulse– Struggling forwards as the fire in his wings peaked and ground into every part of him until he couldn’t tell whether or not he was still moving but–

Please, please–

The shimmer was just ahead and Muddle surged forwards suddenly as his ears rung with a great and terrible sound like ripping leather. Another scream or perhaps The Creature screaming at him or maybe the humming of The Ring or the Dragon shrieking in anger or–

But bleeding and crying, Muddle toppled into the shimmer just as the Dragon’s jaws closed behind him.

Chapter 3: Best Wishes, You Insufferable Little Insect

The Creature’s voice was so loud Muddle felt his teeth rattle. He kicked out against the soft darkness and felt it give, following the loose paths until he burst into the sharp, metallic air of The Grotto. The massive claws of The Creature had cupped over him slightly and he looked down and felt his head spin from the distance between them and the ground. The ragged ends of his jacket had caught on the tip of one of the claws that had previously held him and the fabric cradled him like–

Wait–?
The folds of fabric around him… Why were they so–?

Suddenly The Creature let out low, long hiss, splattering the slurry against the ceiling of The Grotto.

“Stupid. Stupid!” then suddenly it laughed, “It’s almost funny though– A Fae, of all things? Did you really think you could trap me in such an ugly little form? And how it’s gotten flung onto you– Insect. Shade’s screams, I was so right about you!”

Its voice had become even louder than before and Muddle reached up to steady his head– and froze: Where his hands should have been, two spindly, clawed ones flexed and twitched–

He leapt back with a small cry, as if these strange new appendages had tried to bite him, spluttering and stuttering,

“What d-d-did– I–?!! H-how–?!?”

“Don’t pretend you don’t understand, Insect,” Muddle tumbled down into the belly of his clothes as The Creature pulled its claws close to one of its massive foggy eyes, “I warned you… Warned you when I should have just…”

There was a sound like something stiff and massive grinding hard against one of the mounds of treasure, The Creature’s voice was slowly becoming sharper, the vicious humor from before fading into a new dangerous anticipation, “Now…”

Muddle’s world spun and shook and, after a moment of desperately trying to cling to the inner lining of his jacket, he tumbled onto The Creature’s palm. His cell phone clattered beside him and next to it…

Muddle dove for The Ring only to find it had become much larger than before. Stiffer and paler too, and– Muddle looked down at the hands that held it and felt his body shiver. Something light and new flicked against his neck and Muddle made a noise of surprise.

“Change m-me back–” he blurted out, registering how much higher, shriller his voice was, and grimaced, “I– I’ll give you it back– I’ll d-d-do whatever you– But… But you can’t–”

“Shut up, Insect,” The Creature hissed and flicked its wrist, launching Muddle into the air and then catching him one the pad of one of its other fingers, “You’re starting to add on other nasty aspects to my view of you– Not that it wasn’t nasty to begin with, but…”

Muddle cowered where he had fallen, curling his new, long body inwards. He clutched The Ring, trying to find the way it had sang through him before, but heard– felt– nothing.

“Boring,” The Creature said, its eyes narrowing, “And Annoying. That’s two more unpleasant aspects, Fae Insect. Give it to me or–”

“Please I–” he squeaked, despite himself, the plea becoming a scream as The Creature tipped its hand sideways so that Muddle slid off the side.

Spinning, writhing as he fell, Muddle let go of The Ring as he clutched at empty air and shadows with his new repulsive stringy hands– Afraid they would become the last thing he ever saw. And they might have been not for something strange and almost heavy that stretched out from behind him…

He rolled over himself– something stiff and fleshy smacking him in the face– and felt his body jerk suddenly upwards only to slow and drift down through the air. Muddle blinked dizzily down at the distant ground and felt his stomach turn a loop of its own and–

The Ring.

Muddle looked between both hideous hands and then sucked in a sharp, small breath, swiveling his head around frantically in such a way that he saw why he had (mostly) stopped falling: Two large wine red wings were stretched above him, trailing odd teardrop shaped fleshy plumage behind them.

Those are…?

Muddle gagged and the wings twitched and folded– spending him hurtling towards one of the higher mounds, which he hit with another tiny shriek. The coins and jewels around him rippled and chittered against each other and Muddle, for a brief terrible moment, thought they were alive… He reared up from the indent he had made, his body hot and rubbery with the pain. One of the light, new parts of him crinkled up against his cheek and he swatted at it despite how he ached.

“Insect.”

“Whatever you d-d-did just–” he began, looking up just as his breath caught in his throat.

Before The Creature had seemed impossibly large but now… Now it blotted out everything above him– stretching endlessly in all directions. His mouth moved again but nothing came out.

“My ring.”

Muddle swallowed, the treasure rattling under him as he shook, and tried to find where the golden band had fallen. Perhaps if he could find it he could change himself back or, at the very least bargain with The Creature– Perhaps…

Please, please, please– God, I can’t die here– I–

He thought of the sounds she had made with her head tucked into the crook of her elbow and–

Out of the corner of his eye, Muddle saw something vibrate against the side of a splintered wooden chest.

“I d-d–” he rasped and then shook his head as slowly as he could manage. The light, new parts pulled up and he felt the skin of his neck tighten, “I d-d-dropped it.”

“Liar,” The Creature loomed over him, its smile eager with an idea Muddle never wanted to discover, “I already knew that about you though. Predictable– I’ll add that to your list.”

A snort. The slurry rained down. Muddle tottered on two legs, trying to inch towards the splintered chest.

“Annoying. Boring. Predictable. Stupid. Liar. Coward. Insect… So many aspects. I don’t have time to entertain all of them…” The Creature lifted it massive right hand above the mound Muddle was on, “And I can search for my ring all by my lonesome, Insect.”

As it moved, Muddle scrambled forwards on all fours, kicking gems and gold as he skidded and floundered towards The Ring. The tips of the spindly hands slid through the hole and he pulled it towards himself just as the darkness of The Creature’s scales closed over everything–

Muddle shrieked and half inhaled a knot of silk that was so fine it cut his face– Treasure was rolling all around him– grinding and squeezing and— He tried to kick through the pressure and darkness as the muffled, gleeful voice of The Creature,

“Best wishes, you insufferable little Insect– May whatever soft god you worship spit in your face for all eternity–!”

Muddle could see the bright, clear darkness of The Grotto through the slits in the treasure and pushed towards it as The Creature’s claws tightened again. He couldn’t breath– He was going to die– He shouldn’t have ever–

With a gasp and clatter, Muddle tumbled out onto The Grotto floor. His head was spinning and he felt as though he had been broken seven different ways, but he slid The Ring onto his left wrist and took off in a run. The Creature snorted and then laughed– Muddle heard the sound of the slurry splattering again and felt suddenly sick to his stomach. He listed sideways and skidded onto his side, a splash of the dark, lurid substance peppered his left leg. It burned.

With a gasp he righted himself and scrambled onwards–

Please, please, please, please–

His claws scrabbled against a new mound of treasure and he pushed to the top only to find himself face to skull with the massive Dragon skeleton.

“Stupid,” The Creature laughed and the slurry rained around him– oozing up towards the skeleton and dragging globs of gold and jewels with it. These clusters began to creep up the bones of the Dragon, covering it until it looked like a lopsided, glittering version of itself. Muddle froze, watching it take shape– despite himself.

Then its leg twitched.

He let out a cry and the light, new parts of him slapped the sides of his neck as he skittered down the other side of the mound.

“Retrieve him,” said The Creature.

Behind him, Muddle heard the sound of something large and loose moving against the mound. He tried to leap forward and look back at the same time– his wings flaring up and sending him tumbling into the trunk of one of the dark pines. The world blurred and he glanced behind him with his eyes still spinning. The golden, shifting Dragon was padding towards him like a trained animal– it’s teeth flashing.

Muddle felt a hum and looked at The Ring, his mouth open– slack-jawed and stupid. The shadow of the Dragon fell over him.

“Please– please I– St-stop–”

There was a jolt that pulsed through him, as if someone had slapped him hard on the shoulder, and he saw a shimmer flicker just ahead of him. The same kind of shimmer he had come through. He staggered towards it just as something jagged cut into a part of him.

Muddle screamed and buckled, his body held by the massive, shining jaws of the the Dragon. And just ahead… Muddle felt part of him lashing out and struggling and followed the impulse– Struggling forwards as the fire in his wings peaked and ground into every part of him until he couldn’t tell whether or not he was still moving but–

Please, please–

The shimmer was just ahead and Muddle surged forwards suddenly as his ears rung with a great and terrible sound like ripping leather. Another scream or perhaps The Creature screaming at him or maybe the humming of The Ring or the Dragon shrieking in anger or–

But bleeding and crying, Muddle toppled into the shimmer just as the Dragon’s jaws closed behind him.

.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
Interlude 1.0: The Sounds We Have Heard
in Heaven Do Not Carry to the Earth

The Song was endless.
They could hear the sound of it battering the Ancient Ascent as they drifted up through the planes, climbing higher and higher in distinguishment.
And behind them, she trailed and chittered praises– only praises– for what had been done in their name and, perhaps, also in her own.

(Behold, below the world is made in your image. Such shining times, such boldness and beauty in your name.)

And the Song was everything– Praised and left in the silence between each praise. It twined them together like bitter, inescapable family until they could not decide whose ascent to trust. Until she knew where each ascent would lead.

(As I am what I have always been. As you are as you shall always be… What has been preordained surely should not be for it is too bright and sharp for…)

So, in the glittering, incomprehensible halls of the Ancient, the Ideal– Oh, then– THEN there was nothing left for her to do but begin cutting at the twine. Stipping back the hallowed sounds until there was something raw and unremarkable exposed– Something physical enough to hover above and–

(Behold, below– That which you have inspired. Behold and be low–)

And it was endless and deafening and they screamed when the first thrust tore them in two... Into...

Interlude 1.0: The Sounds We Have Heard
in Heaven Do Not Carry to the Earth

The Song was endless.
They could hear the sound of it battering the Ancient Ascent as they drifted up through the planes, climbing higher and higher in distinguishment.
And behind them, she trailed and chittered praises– only praises– for what had been done in their name and, perhaps, also in her own.

(Behold, below the world is made in your image. Such shining times, such boldness and beauty in your name.)

And the Song was everything– Praised and left in the silence between each praise. It twined them together like bitter, inescapable family until they could not decide whose ascent to trust. Until she knew where each ascent would lead.

(As I am what I have always been. As you are as you shall always be… What has been preordained surely should not be for it is too bright and sharp for…)

So, in the glittering, incomprehensible halls of the Ancient, the Ideal– Oh, then– THEN there was nothing left for her to do but begin cutting at the twine. Stipping back the hallowed sounds until there was something raw and unremarkable exposed– Something physical enough to hover above and–

(Behold, below– That which you have inspired. Behold and be low–)

And it was endless and deafening and they screamed when the first thrust tore them in two... Into...

.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
Chapter 4: My Business is My Name (I Can See You)

The wide, winding streets of Lopshide Settlement were almost empty by the time Lyric reached it. Around it, the massive darkly-wooded log wall cast long, pale shadows over the snow and, at the wall’s mouth, two of the posted guards motioned for her to stop.

“What is your business here?” said the first guard, a Guardian with blunted head-horns.

The other, a jumpy, stringy-looking Wildclaw squinted up at Lyric and wrinkled his snout, “Don’t know why someone like you’d be poking her head into Lopshide so close to sunset.”

“Oh,” said Lyric, noticing for the first time that– if she craned her neck up and out far enough– she could see past the pointed top of the wall. The Wildclaw’s right hand crossed to his sword, hovering just above the pommel,

“What’re you looking at–?”

“Oh,” Lyric said again and shook her head, hunkering down so that she appeared less threatening, “I already have a place to stay arranged here– In fact, I came in earlier today…”

“Who you lodging with?” the Guardian said.

“Yeah… Who?!” the Wildclaw added, wrinkling his snout again so that it looked like a large, white raisin.

Lyric liked the thought of that– A dragon who had once been large and plump but, after spending countless hours in the sun, shriveled down to almost nothing.

It’d make a good song, alright…

She shivered and tried to focus on the weight of The Script.

“I, ah. I’m at the furrier’s– Um, Rootlickt?” she tapped the side of her chin, “Or something like that… It had to be Root-something because I asked them if they had family growing in the Labyrinth and they–”

“As long as you’re not here to cause trouble,” the Guardian said, her voice sharper than before, “It doesn’t matter.”

She motioned for the Wildclaw to step aside and and he started and hopped out of Lyric’s path, trying to save face with,

“Yea, if you go around starting trouble… You- You better watch out.”

Lyric considered this for a moment, out of politeness and so she could watch his raisin face flush up through his scales with embarrassment, and then nodded,

“Alright and alright,” she nodded to both of them and trotted past, keeping her tail stiff despite her sudden urge to flick it and spray both guards with powder. The Script bounced against her side.

All along the rows of stalls and shopfronts, Lyric could hear the bustle of the Lopshide dragons settling in for the long night. Rootlickt– or whatever their name was– had cocked their head to the right and snorted when Lyric had said she was going exploring.

“Ya know there’s only 3 hours’a’sun this time’a’year, Imp,” they had said.

Then they’d laughed and Lyric had thought of the winds again and the playful, dipping and climbing notes from the flutes and–

Suddenly, Lyric felt something sharp and unpleasant against her side– as if she’d accidentally scraped up against a mound of pointed stones– but, before she could turn to see what had caused the unpleasant sensation, it rippled and faded into nothingness. She squatted down in the street and gave her scales a good scratch and felt The Script bounce against her…

Of course– Yes, of course!

Springing back onto all fours, the Imperial swung her head in every direction she could think to– turning back over her own body– as she tried to see what had caused The Script to…

A Tundra was magically sealing away their wares behind a veil of lavender colored runes that swirled and pulsed before dissipating back into the fading light. Two Guardian wyrie wrestled in and out of filthy mounds of cleared snow.

Lyric saw one of the posted guards watching her from their perched atop the log wall, and she waved. They looked away quickly and then kicked off into the air.

Alright. So it wasn’t anything here… That makes sense, but–

She scraped at the tightly packed, browned snow with her front claws, her mouth ticking up on the left so that it half closed her eye. A breath. Lyric opened her mouth, scenting the sharpness of the freezing air when suddenly,

”Ya gonna stand about in the dark too, Imp?”

”Oh, Rootlickt!” her face split in a bright open mouthed smile as she turned to peer down at the grizzled Spiral, “I guess that wouldn’t be the best way to spend the night. I just was–”

”Gladekeeper’s beard, I dunna care just what ya think explains this or that about how ya carry on–!” they pulled their fur cape closer around their wiry, scarred neck, “I’m heading back to where ya bed is and once I bar that door– No one comes in or out on accountathe heat creeping out too.”

They wrinkled their snout in disgust and began to walk without waiting for Lyric’s reply. And after a moment, Lyric padded after them– detailing her expedition into the snow while Rootlickt made faces of elderly disgust.

”It’s a display’a’somesort– A bad one,” they said as they unlocked the massive oak door to equally massive building with ancient log walls and a sloped roof of woven reeds that had been sealed with tar. They waited for Lyric to pull open the entrance– clicking their small, forked tongue as she struggled with the weight, and continued,

”Ya young wyrms might as well be wyrie with all the nonsense ya indulge in– back in my age we’d’a’been forced to make a name by now–”

Lyric followed the Spiral through the door and then closed it behind her with a grunt.

”What was it like,” she said, shaking some of the snow from her mane, “Being an Imperial back then? I mean, if you hadn’t already been changed yet?”

Rootlickt had been tossing the dried innards of one of their last successful trappings into the hearth but paused, their dark green eyes watching the growing flames intently.

Lyric turned her head, hardly daring to breath in the heavy, gathering silence.

Then, after another moment, the Spiral shook their head.

”Ya dunna understand what kind’a’answer ya asking after…” they hoisted a lumpy, dried root into the hearth, “Ya can’t imagine.”

Lyric’s claws twitched, reaching out in the air as if she could pull the conversation back out of Rootlickt– The hearth cracked and popped and she drew them back, rubbing at a cold spot near the base of her neck.

”Alright,” she said, her curiosity tucked neatly under her tongue, “Do you need help with your meal?”

Rootlickt was still crouched beside the hearth and waved a gangly hand dismissively, making a noise that might have been words but was so low and gurgly that Lyric couldn’t pick them apart quickly enough to understand. Instead she just said,

”Alright,” and crossed the room to where Rootlickt had set a pile of unsold furs for her to nest in.

Lyric lifted the top fur, a ragged, white and lavender spotted pelt, and produced a large leather sack that had been sloppily tied off with red dyed twine. Working her claws into the center of the knots, Lyric let the twine fall into the furs and reached inside– rooting around with her left claw until she found a bundle of fat, pungent mushrooms.

”I think,” she said, examining them, “These would go well with any liver you’d been planning to cook… We could combine them and make a meal out of it…?”

No response. Lyric turned to where Rootlickt had been and saw the old wyrm had curled up with their eyes closed; their long, grizzled body rising and falling evenly. Lyric smiled.

She selected three of the most pungent mushrooms and popped them into her mouth, chewing until they dissolved into her saliva. She swallowed and gave the rest of the bundle a longing look before she slid it back into her sack and replaced the top-most fur.

I’ll need them for the mountain, mostly, her stomach felt smaller and more hollow than a dead rat’s nest.

Then she too curled up on herself, watching Rootlickt shiver and grunt as she drifted off into dreaming….
- - - - -

Bells. The long repeating rhythm of footsteps. Were they large or small or had they changed size at some point?

Lyric saw the indents they made across the shift of the Song– A sharp, nasty little tune that kept trying to disrupt the wonderful humming refrain that echoed around it.

The humming. Warm, familiar. So old it left a light, dusty and sweet taste in her. Repeating motifs so crisply and casually that she wished she could dance–

Please– Please– PLEASE–

The shrieks again. Ugly tune. Bumbling, awkward, desperate. Louder.

She felt the spikes in her side again and looked for The Script without understanding that there was nowhere to look since–

Please– Please– Please– PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE–

It made her angry and she tried to push out against it, snuff it out right then and there but it only got louder and louder until Lyric felt blood on her– But she wasn’t hurt, she couldn’t be–

A bridge. A city. No architecture she could recognize– The Song was humming and shrieking together now. She shouldn’t be here. No, no. Not her– Someone else. There was–

A small, ugly creature stepping across a body.

The clatter of metals. The crooning of water moving deep below the earth. Ripping– Something thin and living–

Something thick and odious splattering against stone and THEN–

Lyric could see the foggy eye of It. It looked right at her and pulled up its mouth in a smile and said,

“I can /s e e/ you.”

Lyric awoke with a start in the darkness.
The Script was warm against her side.

Chapter 4: My Business is My Name (I Can See You)

The wide, winding streets of Lopshide Settlement were almost empty by the time Lyric reached it. Around it, the massive darkly-wooded log wall cast long, pale shadows over the snow and, at the wall’s mouth, two of the posted guards motioned for her to stop.

“What is your business here?” said the first guard, a Guardian with blunted head-horns.

The other, a jumpy, stringy-looking Wildclaw squinted up at Lyric and wrinkled his snout, “Don’t know why someone like you’d be poking her head into Lopshide so close to sunset.”

“Oh,” said Lyric, noticing for the first time that– if she craned her neck up and out far enough– she could see past the pointed top of the wall. The Wildclaw’s right hand crossed to his sword, hovering just above the pommel,

“What’re you looking at–?”

“Oh,” Lyric said again and shook her head, hunkering down so that she appeared less threatening, “I already have a place to stay arranged here– In fact, I came in earlier today…”

“Who you lodging with?” the Guardian said.

“Yeah… Who?!” the Wildclaw added, wrinkling his snout again so that it looked like a large, white raisin.

Lyric liked the thought of that– A dragon who had once been large and plump but, after spending countless hours in the sun, shriveled down to almost nothing.

It’d make a good song, alright…

She shivered and tried to focus on the weight of The Script.

“I, ah. I’m at the furrier’s– Um, Rootlickt?” she tapped the side of her chin, “Or something like that… It had to be Root-something because I asked them if they had family growing in the Labyrinth and they–”

“As long as you’re not here to cause trouble,” the Guardian said, her voice sharper than before, “It doesn’t matter.”

She motioned for the Wildclaw to step aside and and he started and hopped out of Lyric’s path, trying to save face with,

“Yea, if you go around starting trouble… You- You better watch out.”

Lyric considered this for a moment, out of politeness and so she could watch his raisin face flush up through his scales with embarrassment, and then nodded,

“Alright and alright,” she nodded to both of them and trotted past, keeping her tail stiff despite her sudden urge to flick it and spray both guards with powder. The Script bounced against her side.

All along the rows of stalls and shopfronts, Lyric could hear the bustle of the Lopshide dragons settling in for the long night. Rootlickt– or whatever their name was– had cocked their head to the right and snorted when Lyric had said she was going exploring.

“Ya know there’s only 3 hours’a’sun this time’a’year, Imp,” they had said.

Then they’d laughed and Lyric had thought of the winds again and the playful, dipping and climbing notes from the flutes and–

Suddenly, Lyric felt something sharp and unpleasant against her side– as if she’d accidentally scraped up against a mound of pointed stones– but, before she could turn to see what had caused the unpleasant sensation, it rippled and faded into nothingness. She squatted down in the street and gave her scales a good scratch and felt The Script bounce against her…

Of course– Yes, of course!

Springing back onto all fours, the Imperial swung her head in every direction she could think to– turning back over her own body– as she tried to see what had caused The Script to…

A Tundra was magically sealing away their wares behind a veil of lavender colored runes that swirled and pulsed before dissipating back into the fading light. Two Guardian wyrie wrestled in and out of filthy mounds of cleared snow.

Lyric saw one of the posted guards watching her from their perched atop the log wall, and she waved. They looked away quickly and then kicked off into the air.

Alright. So it wasn’t anything here… That makes sense, but–

She scraped at the tightly packed, browned snow with her front claws, her mouth ticking up on the left so that it half closed her eye. A breath. Lyric opened her mouth, scenting the sharpness of the freezing air when suddenly,

”Ya gonna stand about in the dark too, Imp?”

”Oh, Rootlickt!” her face split in a bright open mouthed smile as she turned to peer down at the grizzled Spiral, “I guess that wouldn’t be the best way to spend the night. I just was–”

”Gladekeeper’s beard, I dunna care just what ya think explains this or that about how ya carry on–!” they pulled their fur cape closer around their wiry, scarred neck, “I’m heading back to where ya bed is and once I bar that door– No one comes in or out on accountathe heat creeping out too.”

They wrinkled their snout in disgust and began to walk without waiting for Lyric’s reply. And after a moment, Lyric padded after them– detailing her expedition into the snow while Rootlickt made faces of elderly disgust.

”It’s a display’a’somesort– A bad one,” they said as they unlocked the massive oak door to equally massive building with ancient log walls and a sloped roof of woven reeds that had been sealed with tar. They waited for Lyric to pull open the entrance– clicking their small, forked tongue as she struggled with the weight, and continued,

”Ya young wyrms might as well be wyrie with all the nonsense ya indulge in– back in my age we’d’a’been forced to make a name by now–”

Lyric followed the Spiral through the door and then closed it behind her with a grunt.

”What was it like,” she said, shaking some of the snow from her mane, “Being an Imperial back then? I mean, if you hadn’t already been changed yet?”

Rootlickt had been tossing the dried innards of one of their last successful trappings into the hearth but paused, their dark green eyes watching the growing flames intently.

Lyric turned her head, hardly daring to breath in the heavy, gathering silence.

Then, after another moment, the Spiral shook their head.

”Ya dunna understand what kind’a’answer ya asking after…” they hoisted a lumpy, dried root into the hearth, “Ya can’t imagine.”

Lyric’s claws twitched, reaching out in the air as if she could pull the conversation back out of Rootlickt– The hearth cracked and popped and she drew them back, rubbing at a cold spot near the base of her neck.

”Alright,” she said, her curiosity tucked neatly under her tongue, “Do you need help with your meal?”

Rootlickt was still crouched beside the hearth and waved a gangly hand dismissively, making a noise that might have been words but was so low and gurgly that Lyric couldn’t pick them apart quickly enough to understand. Instead she just said,

”Alright,” and crossed the room to where Rootlickt had set a pile of unsold furs for her to nest in.

Lyric lifted the top fur, a ragged, white and lavender spotted pelt, and produced a large leather sack that had been sloppily tied off with red dyed twine. Working her claws into the center of the knots, Lyric let the twine fall into the furs and reached inside– rooting around with her left claw until she found a bundle of fat, pungent mushrooms.

”I think,” she said, examining them, “These would go well with any liver you’d been planning to cook… We could combine them and make a meal out of it…?”

No response. Lyric turned to where Rootlickt had been and saw the old wyrm had curled up with their eyes closed; their long, grizzled body rising and falling evenly. Lyric smiled.

She selected three of the most pungent mushrooms and popped them into her mouth, chewing until they dissolved into her saliva. She swallowed and gave the rest of the bundle a longing look before she slid it back into her sack and replaced the top-most fur.

I’ll need them for the mountain, mostly, her stomach felt smaller and more hollow than a dead rat’s nest.

Then she too curled up on herself, watching Rootlickt shiver and grunt as she drifted off into dreaming….
- - - - -

Bells. The long repeating rhythm of footsteps. Were they large or small or had they changed size at some point?

Lyric saw the indents they made across the shift of the Song– A sharp, nasty little tune that kept trying to disrupt the wonderful humming refrain that echoed around it.

The humming. Warm, familiar. So old it left a light, dusty and sweet taste in her. Repeating motifs so crisply and casually that she wished she could dance–

Please– Please– PLEASE–

The shrieks again. Ugly tune. Bumbling, awkward, desperate. Louder.

She felt the spikes in her side again and looked for The Script without understanding that there was nowhere to look since–

Please– Please– Please– PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE–

It made her angry and she tried to push out against it, snuff it out right then and there but it only got louder and louder until Lyric felt blood on her– But she wasn’t hurt, she couldn’t be–

A bridge. A city. No architecture she could recognize– The Song was humming and shrieking together now. She shouldn’t be here. No, no. Not her– Someone else. There was–

A small, ugly creature stepping across a body.

The clatter of metals. The crooning of water moving deep below the earth. Ripping– Something thin and living–

Something thick and odious splattering against stone and THEN–

Lyric could see the foggy eye of It. It looked right at her and pulled up its mouth in a smile and said,

“I can /s e e/ you.”

Lyric awoke with a start in the darkness.
The Script was warm against her side.

.. 52030.png miles
{he/they}
{fr +0}
{lore}
1 2 3 4 5