Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | 10 Words
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26 27
@lessthan3 I'm sad I don't really have time or motivation to really go into detail with this like I kinda want to. Also please appreciate that Merrit means "deserving of fortune" in Latin and also that Brennan means "sorrow" (not in Latin).

~~~

In a small town in middle-of-nowhere, USA, they worshipped a god. Not a big, mighty god, just one that brought them good fortune until the god fell from his throne, or well, was literally pushed off of it by a god above him on the hierarchy. It was quite the flight that filled him with terror.

There was one important rule he broke when he touched the hot midwestern dust: gods do not touch the ground. They could “possess” things and use their powers to make things happen, but they were not allowed to physically touch the human plane of existence.

No one explained the consequences to him.

He brushed off the dust and headed toward the small town less than a mile away. A place he knew well and had watched over for years. These people worshipped him, how could they not help him?

The first placed he stepped into was a bar, which was the second most popular place in town next to the little church they had built for him. From the ground, it had seemed smaller. More insignificant than above where he could see it all at once. Everything that happened in this little town.

But the bar was another story. It was huge and loud, but that didn’t overwhelm him. He was used to big spaces, like his home in the sky where he could live in luxury and get everything he needed.

“Hello, there. Ain’t seen you ‘round these parts before,” said a middle-aged male bartender. “You seem kin’a familiar. Who are ya?”

“I’m Merrit,” he said with a smile as he offered a hand to shake. It was so nice to sort of recognized by his own people. “And you’re Thomas, or Tommy.”

“What the-- who do you think ya are t’ name yerself after our god?” Tommy stared at him with wide, crazy eyes. The kind that came from conspiracy theorists who believed the Earth was flat and the moon landing was faked and aliens were real.

Merrit thought that part of Tommy’s personality would come in handy, but it did squat. He pulled his hand back to his side and shrugged, feeling a bit sheepish for coming in here and putting himself out there. “Uh. I am your god.”

That got the attention of a man sitting in the barstool next to him, and Merrit gasped quietly when he saw the face. Where humans saw a human face, he recognized the real, demonic face hidden beneath a facade.

Brennan smiled a smile that suggested malicious intent. The two of them hadn’t interacted in centuries. He leaned forward and whispered in Merrit’s ear, “You broke your promise, buddy.” Then Brennan patted him on the shoulder and ordered a beer from Tommy and said something to him that Merrit couldn’t hear.

Three minutes later, Merrit was sitting on a bench in the park near the bar, grumbling quietly about the way Brennan could wrap people around his finger and get under Merrit’s skin.

Of course, they did have a deal that was made to keep peace. As long as Merrit didn’t walk the Earth, Brennan wouldn’t hurt anyone in this town. Because if Brennan did, Merrit would have to call upon one of the higher gods, the one that kicked him out, to deal with the problem.

Someone was paying big money to have Brennan wreck this town while not breaking a contract. The morality that some gods had was lacking to a concerning point. They were all so absorbed in the power and the attention that they didn’t go above and beyond to keep their peoples safe anymore.

He wanted to scream right there on that grey bench, but there were enough eyes on him since he was the odd one out. He rubbed his temple and spoke a short spell to relieve him of the headache that was coming on, but it didn’t work. Not good. This was not good at all.

Now he needed to think of a plan. He glanced up at the sky and cursed, loud and uninhibited, until he felt satisfied. A few people side-eyed him and an older woman walked to him.

“Why are you cursing Merrit? He is good to us, you shouldn’t say such things to him,” she said, eyeing him over. “You look a lot like him.”

On another day, he would have reveled in the praise she had for him. Maggie, after all, had a kind heart. It was interesting that he appeared to them the way they imagined him, since he didn’t look that way when he was up above.

“I’m cursing a different god,” he replied. “One who’s screwed me over time and time again.”

She sat down next to him on the bench, fanning herself in the summer heat. It was sweltering, and it had to be well over 100 degrees fahrenheit. He didn’t understand how anyone could stand it.

“Pray to Merrit. He will help you.”

He tried very hard not to roll his eyes, but he was annoyed by the irony of the situation while also finding the old lady endearing for her positive outlook. This whole town was full of it.

“Sure, ma’am. You have a nice day.”

~~~

Merrit spent two nights the church and feeling like he would die at any minute. He had an insatiable thirst for water now and it seemed that all the wells were drying up, and these people needed to ration it out.

There were no winds. The air was still. A dry heat that slowly cooked the town.

It hurt him to watch their resolve crumble when it had been three days of no water. His heart ached for this town, and it cracked when people were filling up the local hospital and slowly dying. Those already sick passed away.

He found Brennan behind the bar counting a stackful of bills, and Brennan looked up with a big, toothy grin full of pointy teeth ready to bite into Merrit if it came down to it. There was a high chance of that happening.

“You’re awful,” Merrit said, shoving Brennan in the shoulders.

Brennan shook his head, the grin never leaving his face, but Merrit didn’t want to play games. There was a need inside him to fix all these problems, to help these people stay alive in the middle of nowhere. They deserved it.

“I’m going to show you something,” he said, wrapping an arm around the back of Merrit’s neck and leading him, not without struggle, into the bar. There was Tommy sitting in the breakroom chair. Fine and unharmed and nothing binding him there except Brennan’s willpower.

“Why would you do that?” Merrit asked, anger in his voice.

“Because I can,” he answered and he walked away from Merrit. The room was small, claustrophobic, with the three of them in there. A small window near the top of wall brightened an otherwise dark room. “You can’t stop me. There’s no powers left inside you.”

Brennan lacked a soul, so he cared little about the ones that others possessed. Merrit had tried to teach him at one point, thought he was making progress, until he got the upgrade angel to small-level god while Brennan got a downgrade to demon.

“Come further down and join me,” he offered, and Tommy screamed in agony. A noise full of sorrow and anguish that bothered Merrit to his core.

Brennan would lead this town to destruction, until it was nothing more than dust and dirt and ash. No remorse to be found by him.

Merrit shook his head firmly, stepping toward Tommy. Brennan watched in silence, which meant he thought he had the upper hand, but Merrit had a trick or two up his sleeve, like attacking Brennan to distract his focus and allow Tommy to breathe.

And it worked. Merrit knocked Brennan to the ground. He wrapped his hands around his throat. Then Brennan used an arm to grab Merrit. Dug his claws into him until he bled and Merrit let go.

Merrit stumbled up to his feet and smacked his back against the brick wall. He fought against the hold to no avail. Brennan had the power to cause ending misery to this world.

Tommy’s neck snapped.

As a fallen god, Merrit was nothing.
@lessthan3 I'm sad I don't really have time or motivation to really go into detail with this like I kinda want to. Also please appreciate that Merrit means "deserving of fortune" in Latin and also that Brennan means "sorrow" (not in Latin).

~~~

In a small town in middle-of-nowhere, USA, they worshipped a god. Not a big, mighty god, just one that brought them good fortune until the god fell from his throne, or well, was literally pushed off of it by a god above him on the hierarchy. It was quite the flight that filled him with terror.

There was one important rule he broke when he touched the hot midwestern dust: gods do not touch the ground. They could “possess” things and use their powers to make things happen, but they were not allowed to physically touch the human plane of existence.

No one explained the consequences to him.

He brushed off the dust and headed toward the small town less than a mile away. A place he knew well and had watched over for years. These people worshipped him, how could they not help him?

The first placed he stepped into was a bar, which was the second most popular place in town next to the little church they had built for him. From the ground, it had seemed smaller. More insignificant than above where he could see it all at once. Everything that happened in this little town.

But the bar was another story. It was huge and loud, but that didn’t overwhelm him. He was used to big spaces, like his home in the sky where he could live in luxury and get everything he needed.

“Hello, there. Ain’t seen you ‘round these parts before,” said a middle-aged male bartender. “You seem kin’a familiar. Who are ya?”

“I’m Merrit,” he said with a smile as he offered a hand to shake. It was so nice to sort of recognized by his own people. “And you’re Thomas, or Tommy.”

“What the-- who do you think ya are t’ name yerself after our god?” Tommy stared at him with wide, crazy eyes. The kind that came from conspiracy theorists who believed the Earth was flat and the moon landing was faked and aliens were real.

Merrit thought that part of Tommy’s personality would come in handy, but it did squat. He pulled his hand back to his side and shrugged, feeling a bit sheepish for coming in here and putting himself out there. “Uh. I am your god.”

That got the attention of a man sitting in the barstool next to him, and Merrit gasped quietly when he saw the face. Where humans saw a human face, he recognized the real, demonic face hidden beneath a facade.

Brennan smiled a smile that suggested malicious intent. The two of them hadn’t interacted in centuries. He leaned forward and whispered in Merrit’s ear, “You broke your promise, buddy.” Then Brennan patted him on the shoulder and ordered a beer from Tommy and said something to him that Merrit couldn’t hear.

Three minutes later, Merrit was sitting on a bench in the park near the bar, grumbling quietly about the way Brennan could wrap people around his finger and get under Merrit’s skin.

Of course, they did have a deal that was made to keep peace. As long as Merrit didn’t walk the Earth, Brennan wouldn’t hurt anyone in this town. Because if Brennan did, Merrit would have to call upon one of the higher gods, the one that kicked him out, to deal with the problem.

Someone was paying big money to have Brennan wreck this town while not breaking a contract. The morality that some gods had was lacking to a concerning point. They were all so absorbed in the power and the attention that they didn’t go above and beyond to keep their peoples safe anymore.

He wanted to scream right there on that grey bench, but there were enough eyes on him since he was the odd one out. He rubbed his temple and spoke a short spell to relieve him of the headache that was coming on, but it didn’t work. Not good. This was not good at all.

Now he needed to think of a plan. He glanced up at the sky and cursed, loud and uninhibited, until he felt satisfied. A few people side-eyed him and an older woman walked to him.

“Why are you cursing Merrit? He is good to us, you shouldn’t say such things to him,” she said, eyeing him over. “You look a lot like him.”

On another day, he would have reveled in the praise she had for him. Maggie, after all, had a kind heart. It was interesting that he appeared to them the way they imagined him, since he didn’t look that way when he was up above.

“I’m cursing a different god,” he replied. “One who’s screwed me over time and time again.”

She sat down next to him on the bench, fanning herself in the summer heat. It was sweltering, and it had to be well over 100 degrees fahrenheit. He didn’t understand how anyone could stand it.

“Pray to Merrit. He will help you.”

He tried very hard not to roll his eyes, but he was annoyed by the irony of the situation while also finding the old lady endearing for her positive outlook. This whole town was full of it.

“Sure, ma’am. You have a nice day.”

~~~

Merrit spent two nights the church and feeling like he would die at any minute. He had an insatiable thirst for water now and it seemed that all the wells were drying up, and these people needed to ration it out.

There were no winds. The air was still. A dry heat that slowly cooked the town.

It hurt him to watch their resolve crumble when it had been three days of no water. His heart ached for this town, and it cracked when people were filling up the local hospital and slowly dying. Those already sick passed away.

He found Brennan behind the bar counting a stackful of bills, and Brennan looked up with a big, toothy grin full of pointy teeth ready to bite into Merrit if it came down to it. There was a high chance of that happening.

“You’re awful,” Merrit said, shoving Brennan in the shoulders.

Brennan shook his head, the grin never leaving his face, but Merrit didn’t want to play games. There was a need inside him to fix all these problems, to help these people stay alive in the middle of nowhere. They deserved it.

“I’m going to show you something,” he said, wrapping an arm around the back of Merrit’s neck and leading him, not without struggle, into the bar. There was Tommy sitting in the breakroom chair. Fine and unharmed and nothing binding him there except Brennan’s willpower.

“Why would you do that?” Merrit asked, anger in his voice.

“Because I can,” he answered and he walked away from Merrit. The room was small, claustrophobic, with the three of them in there. A small window near the top of wall brightened an otherwise dark room. “You can’t stop me. There’s no powers left inside you.”

Brennan lacked a soul, so he cared little about the ones that others possessed. Merrit had tried to teach him at one point, thought he was making progress, until he got the upgrade angel to small-level god while Brennan got a downgrade to demon.

“Come further down and join me,” he offered, and Tommy screamed in agony. A noise full of sorrow and anguish that bothered Merrit to his core.

Brennan would lead this town to destruction, until it was nothing more than dust and dirt and ash. No remorse to be found by him.

Merrit shook his head firmly, stepping toward Tommy. Brennan watched in silence, which meant he thought he had the upper hand, but Merrit had a trick or two up his sleeve, like attacking Brennan to distract his focus and allow Tommy to breathe.

And it worked. Merrit knocked Brennan to the ground. He wrapped his hands around his throat. Then Brennan used an arm to grab Merrit. Dug his claws into him until he bled and Merrit let go.

Merrit stumbled up to his feet and smacked his back against the brick wall. He fought against the hold to no avail. Brennan had the power to cause ending misery to this world.

Tommy’s neck snapped.

As a fallen god, Merrit was nothing.
dlJsEIj.png
@Karika Wow. An incredibly complex piece, that took me some time to wrap my head around. I actually really appreciated that; it's not often I come across a piece with ideas this complex and intricate that make me have to think before I understand.

@Skyeset Oh. Wow. Ok. That was. Wow. Would it be weird to print that out and frame it? I, uh, can't really do that piece justice with my words so, uh, I'm not even going to try. Amazing.

@Mypilot Geez! You guys are all really going above and beyond what I thought was possible for writing! And I've read a lot, and varied titles, so that's a real compliment. Unexpected to the very end, not only did the story call to me - not speak, mind you, but like a whisper, the kind you'd expect in the dead of night, that instead comes in a warm and mundane summer afternoon, - but it also had as many well-constructed plot twists as many larger stories I've read.

@humanityxpeople Oh my goodness! Such wrath and venom, I would not have expected this from you! It made me want to go out and make change, interestingly enough. Very fascinating.

Winner is @Skyeset, runner-up is @Mypilot
@Karika Wow. An incredibly complex piece, that took me some time to wrap my head around. I actually really appreciated that; it's not often I come across a piece with ideas this complex and intricate that make me have to think before I understand.

@Skyeset Oh. Wow. Ok. That was. Wow. Would it be weird to print that out and frame it? I, uh, can't really do that piece justice with my words so, uh, I'm not even going to try. Amazing.

@Mypilot Geez! You guys are all really going above and beyond what I thought was possible for writing! And I've read a lot, and varied titles, so that's a real compliment. Unexpected to the very end, not only did the story call to me - not speak, mind you, but like a whisper, the kind you'd expect in the dead of night, that instead comes in a warm and mundane summer afternoon, - but it also had as many well-constructed plot twists as many larger stories I've read.

@humanityxpeople Oh my goodness! Such wrath and venom, I would not have expected this from you! It made me want to go out and make change, interestingly enough. Very fascinating.

Winner is @Skyeset, runner-up is @Mypilot
RkXJJ5L.png
3adgzZD.png
6Dq3jOp.png
tqGkHih.png
bYt72YT.png
AaYNmEX.png
Thanks, 3 (again)! I actually had sort of a different idea in mind, but then this whole thing came out, and yeah. I was kinda worried about the fact that it was more like a research paper thing, and not like an actual story.... It would be kinda weird to frame it, I suppose, but only in the sense that I haven't had anyone comment anything like that on my work before, I guess? I struggled with fitting in some of the 10 words, though.

The next prompt should be up tomorrow!
Thanks, 3 (again)! I actually had sort of a different idea in mind, but then this whole thing came out, and yeah. I was kinda worried about the fact that it was more like a research paper thing, and not like an actual story.... It would be kinda weird to frame it, I suppose, but only in the sense that I haven't had anyone comment anything like that on my work before, I guess? I struggled with fitting in some of the 10 words, though.

The next prompt should be up tomorrow!
ck2CMHK.gif
Prompt: We are created out of man's desires, hopes, and fears.

Words: dream, mystery, love, magic, balance, yesterday, tomorrow, eternity, forgotten, ruin

Deadline will be October 9th, to allow people more time to get something in.

@Sillywinter @SamIamLuvDov @humanityxpeople @Karika @Annalynn @SolusPrime379 @Lightshadow101 @demonslayr62 @Chrisondra @Mypilot @lessthan3 @PixieKnight3264 @coyearth @SocialBookWorm @MintyDragon @Kiradog234 @/Skyeset @AloneTogether @frostt
Prompt: We are created out of man's desires, hopes, and fears.

Words: dream, mystery, love, magic, balance, yesterday, tomorrow, eternity, forgotten, ruin

Deadline will be October 9th, to allow people more time to get something in.

@Sillywinter @SamIamLuvDov @humanityxpeople @Karika @Annalynn @SolusPrime379 @Lightshadow101 @demonslayr62 @Chrisondra @Mypilot @lessthan3 @PixieKnight3264 @coyearth @SocialBookWorm @MintyDragon @Kiradog234 @/Skyeset @AloneTogether @frostt
ck2CMHK.gif
@skyeset

this is really short but i don't want to force it by making it longer, plus its all in good fun, right? (:

Why is it that as you grow older your belief in magic falls to ruin? The older you get the quicker your dreams die, as if they are being pulled as weeds by the concept of what you find possible in reality. You spend the eternity of your life deciding you must settle for nothing more than the fool’s gold version of what you claimed you wanted for your life.
We all know that you want more.

That’s why we exist. A balance in the world that has fallen to disbelief there was a society made to keep hope alive. Everything you love, everything you fear, we embody it. When you lay your head down to drift off into the only place where your older mind has remembered the forgotten, where you have recalled the exhilaration of watching as magic sparks to life before your eyes, feel joy. Know we are with you.

We are present yesterday, today, tomorrow, forevermore- till you take your last breath and we move to the next. We do our job, and we do it well.

Next time you wake up from a night’s sleep, the last tinge of a relaxing dream or terrifying nightmare fading from your mind, remember us.

Remember who we are. For we are the Dream Builders, and we keep the feeling of magic alive.
@skyeset

this is really short but i don't want to force it by making it longer, plus its all in good fun, right? (:

Why is it that as you grow older your belief in magic falls to ruin? The older you get the quicker your dreams die, as if they are being pulled as weeds by the concept of what you find possible in reality. You spend the eternity of your life deciding you must settle for nothing more than the fool’s gold version of what you claimed you wanted for your life.
We all know that you want more.

That’s why we exist. A balance in the world that has fallen to disbelief there was a society made to keep hope alive. Everything you love, everything you fear, we embody it. When you lay your head down to drift off into the only place where your older mind has remembered the forgotten, where you have recalled the exhilaration of watching as magic sparks to life before your eyes, feel joy. Know we are with you.

We are present yesterday, today, tomorrow, forevermore- till you take your last breath and we move to the next. We do our job, and we do it well.

Next time you wake up from a night’s sleep, the last tinge of a relaxing dream or terrifying nightmare fading from your mind, remember us.

Remember who we are. For we are the Dream Builders, and we keep the feeling of magic alive.
@Skyeset
It all started with a dream, an image burned into the mind of our creater, and a will to form into a solid being with the power to control circumstances that shouldn't otherwise be changed. It required a spell to bring us to life, of course, powerful magic the likes of which was not easily found in this day and age.

In a society that does not believe in magic, there are only so many places that were left for such things to hide, to wait out the today until the tomorrow comes and brings hope to the world once more. That was what our purpose was, after all.

Many ingredients were gathered as the people circled around. Even before I came into being I could feel their desires calling to me. Their fears reared up, threatening to cast the spell to ruin, but their hopes pushed them onwards, and secretly I cheered, reaching out to them with the love that had not yet been created in my heart.

It was a mystery what had brought them to this stage, this decision, the quest to godhood - for what else could they be called, when they summoned me into life from a mere husk of clay and earth and paper? Creation of life required a delicate precision, a balance, if you will. Somehow they managed it though, through their teamwork and determination.

Determination for a better world where they could be free to love and live in peace.

They suceeded, and I stood whole and stoic as I stared at them in my golem form. I waited to be commanded, so that I could act justly and erase their fears of yesterday, and lead them forward into the light.

I wondered what others must have seen in the small few who still believed in such fantasies, who let their hope lead their hearts, their desires shape their eternity. Surely they had been judged and outcast, forgotten by those they had strived to protect?

But now we stood here, all of us together at the edge of the forest. They had created me from the earth, using powerful magics and the emotions in their hearts. They had created me so that I might lead them into a better future and destroy the fears that plagued their hearts.

If I could have smiled at them, I might have done so.

But a golem exists only to obey its master, and now I found I had many.

@Skyeset
It all started with a dream, an image burned into the mind of our creater, and a will to form into a solid being with the power to control circumstances that shouldn't otherwise be changed. It required a spell to bring us to life, of course, powerful magic the likes of which was not easily found in this day and age.

In a society that does not believe in magic, there are only so many places that were left for such things to hide, to wait out the today until the tomorrow comes and brings hope to the world once more. That was what our purpose was, after all.

Many ingredients were gathered as the people circled around. Even before I came into being I could feel their desires calling to me. Their fears reared up, threatening to cast the spell to ruin, but their hopes pushed them onwards, and secretly I cheered, reaching out to them with the love that had not yet been created in my heart.

It was a mystery what had brought them to this stage, this decision, the quest to godhood - for what else could they be called, when they summoned me into life from a mere husk of clay and earth and paper? Creation of life required a delicate precision, a balance, if you will. Somehow they managed it though, through their teamwork and determination.

Determination for a better world where they could be free to love and live in peace.

They suceeded, and I stood whole and stoic as I stared at them in my golem form. I waited to be commanded, so that I could act justly and erase their fears of yesterday, and lead them forward into the light.

I wondered what others must have seen in the small few who still believed in such fantasies, who let their hope lead their hearts, their desires shape their eternity. Surely they had been judged and outcast, forgotten by those they had strived to protect?

But now we stood here, all of us together at the edge of the forest. They had created me from the earth, using powerful magics and the emotions in their hearts. They had created me so that I might lead them into a better future and destroy the fears that plagued their hearts.

If I could have smiled at them, I might have done so.

But a golem exists only to obey its master, and now I found I had many.

DmRdZYl.png
@Skyeset

Summer came. It took me by surprise. The way the seasons changed while I felt like my life hadn’t budged an inch. Nothing changed. Nothing happened.

I didn’t live for tomorrow or today or yesterday. I just existed. The calendar told me that things changed and the things my so-called friends were off doing reminded me that I wasn’t living in a ground-hog loop.

My dreams kept me sane. They changed almost every night and allowed me to explore worlds beyond my wildest thoughts. I could experience the mysteries of life.

I could love the man of my dreams, and we could live happily ever after. When I woke up in the morning, I had forgotten that it wasn’t real. The empty space was my reality, and I would spend the rest of eternity like this. Bound to my dreams.

When I tried to upset the balance, the world put me back in my place. I searched for something to change me, and I went to witches who could do the magic. None of them were willing, no matter what I offered them. I tried to offer my soul to a malevolent witch, but she told me I didn’t have one, that the undead couldn’t possess a soul.

That night, I screamed and yelled and sobbed, trying to understand what I had done to earn this fate. All I wanted to do was live my life like anyone else, to be human again. To experience things the way everyone else did.

I couldn’t change my fate and fate refused to change me. I lived in my dreams, where my desires, hopes, and fears could play out and I could move forward there.

The man of my dreams ruined me and left me to live forever in agony. I watched the seasons go by and they always caught me by surprise.
@Skyeset

Summer came. It took me by surprise. The way the seasons changed while I felt like my life hadn’t budged an inch. Nothing changed. Nothing happened.

I didn’t live for tomorrow or today or yesterday. I just existed. The calendar told me that things changed and the things my so-called friends were off doing reminded me that I wasn’t living in a ground-hog loop.

My dreams kept me sane. They changed almost every night and allowed me to explore worlds beyond my wildest thoughts. I could experience the mysteries of life.

I could love the man of my dreams, and we could live happily ever after. When I woke up in the morning, I had forgotten that it wasn’t real. The empty space was my reality, and I would spend the rest of eternity like this. Bound to my dreams.

When I tried to upset the balance, the world put me back in my place. I searched for something to change me, and I went to witches who could do the magic. None of them were willing, no matter what I offered them. I tried to offer my soul to a malevolent witch, but she told me I didn’t have one, that the undead couldn’t possess a soul.

That night, I screamed and yelled and sobbed, trying to understand what I had done to earn this fate. All I wanted to do was live my life like anyone else, to be human again. To experience things the way everyone else did.

I couldn’t change my fate and fate refused to change me. I lived in my dreams, where my desires, hopes, and fears could play out and I could move forward there.

The man of my dreams ruined me and left me to live forever in agony. I watched the seasons go by and they always caught me by surprise.
dlJsEIj.png
@Skyeset

This world of ours is a strange one. There are no suns here, and yet our sky glows. There is no moon, but our tides are still drawn towards land. The stars lead to nothing, our space goes nowhere, and the universe is confined to one lone planet. Our existence is a mystery, even to us, and our survival is only guaranteed when tomorrow arrives.

It seems an eternity ago that I first woke, one of thousands. But time here is never certain, and we don’t always move in a forward pace. I could have been born yesterday and would be none the wiser.

You see, we are dreams, and our world is one of myth and magic. We live a world of constant change, where one day the sky might be blue and the next it will be a deep crimson. We have no boundaries here, because no matter what strange things shake our planet, balance will always prevail.

Some days, I contemplate our existence. Some days, I wonder how this all came to be. Who was the first dreamer? Who first woke up this realm, a mere pocket in the existence of all life? And are we forgotten here? Do our creators know we exist? Do they know their dreams and desires breed life?

We dream, too. Although our dreams do not stretch houses out of the soil, nor do they bring a being into life. We dream of little things: of seeing the world become something more beautiful, of knowing that our mortal creators are changing their world in drastic and beautiful ways like they change ours. We dream that their love is as huge and solid as it is in our realm, and that their hearts are full.

I know that, one day, this world will fall. I know we are not destined to last, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. Our world could become one of ruin at the drop of a hat, but for now... For now, we dream. And the humans, in their world where time moves forward and the sky never changes, they dream too.
@Skyeset

This world of ours is a strange one. There are no suns here, and yet our sky glows. There is no moon, but our tides are still drawn towards land. The stars lead to nothing, our space goes nowhere, and the universe is confined to one lone planet. Our existence is a mystery, even to us, and our survival is only guaranteed when tomorrow arrives.

It seems an eternity ago that I first woke, one of thousands. But time here is never certain, and we don’t always move in a forward pace. I could have been born yesterday and would be none the wiser.

You see, we are dreams, and our world is one of myth and magic. We live a world of constant change, where one day the sky might be blue and the next it will be a deep crimson. We have no boundaries here, because no matter what strange things shake our planet, balance will always prevail.

Some days, I contemplate our existence. Some days, I wonder how this all came to be. Who was the first dreamer? Who first woke up this realm, a mere pocket in the existence of all life? And are we forgotten here? Do our creators know we exist? Do they know their dreams and desires breed life?

We dream, too. Although our dreams do not stretch houses out of the soil, nor do they bring a being into life. We dream of little things: of seeing the world become something more beautiful, of knowing that our mortal creators are changing their world in drastic and beautiful ways like they change ours. We dream that their love is as huge and solid as it is in our realm, and that their hearts are full.

I know that, one day, this world will fall. I know we are not destined to last, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. Our world could become one of ruin at the drop of a hat, but for now... For now, we dream. And the humans, in their world where time moves forward and the sky never changes, they dream too.
VvxoVdD.png iceshieldr.png
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library
@AloneTogether
This is a really great concept, although I would’ve liked to seen it expanded a bit more. Not saying that the shortness is a bad thing--to me it just feels like there’s something lacking. I love the idea that, while humans tend to forget magic and lose belief in it, there’s a society that is committed to keeping the spirit of magic alive.

@Karika
I’m just awed at this, pretty much. The idea that people are out there that still believe in magic, and were willing to use it to better a society that cared so little for them and their beliefs… I find that fascinating, that degree of determination. And the golem, well, it’s interesting that it can think for itself, despite apparently being able to act only under its master’s orders. I wonder what would happen if the humans it served would ever forget why it was made, its purpose....

@humanityxpeople
I can really relate to this narrator, how everyday life can seem so similar and unchanging day after day while you dream of bigger, better things. I feel like you could’ve explained better why the witch called the narrator undead (is it part of the unchangingness that s/he feels, or something else?). I do like how you tied the end back to the beginning.

@Mypilot
I love this setting, a world of magic and mystery and constant change, and you portrayed it so well! The idea of humans’ dreams bringing things to life, that there is a real “dream world” out there, is really intriguing to me. I like the juxtaposition as well, of the humans dreaming and of the dreams themselves dreaming.

Winner: Mypilot
Runner-up: Karika
@AloneTogether
This is a really great concept, although I would’ve liked to seen it expanded a bit more. Not saying that the shortness is a bad thing--to me it just feels like there’s something lacking. I love the idea that, while humans tend to forget magic and lose belief in it, there’s a society that is committed to keeping the spirit of magic alive.

@Karika
I’m just awed at this, pretty much. The idea that people are out there that still believe in magic, and were willing to use it to better a society that cared so little for them and their beliefs… I find that fascinating, that degree of determination. And the golem, well, it’s interesting that it can think for itself, despite apparently being able to act only under its master’s orders. I wonder what would happen if the humans it served would ever forget why it was made, its purpose....

@humanityxpeople
I can really relate to this narrator, how everyday life can seem so similar and unchanging day after day while you dream of bigger, better things. I feel like you could’ve explained better why the witch called the narrator undead (is it part of the unchangingness that s/he feels, or something else?). I do like how you tied the end back to the beginning.

@Mypilot
I love this setting, a world of magic and mystery and constant change, and you portrayed it so well! The idea of humans’ dreams bringing things to life, that there is a real “dream world” out there, is really intriguing to me. I like the juxtaposition as well, of the humans dreaming and of the dreams themselves dreaming.

Winner: Mypilot
Runner-up: Karika
ck2CMHK.gif
@Skyeset - Ahhhh, thank you *o*

Next prompt: The flowers in their garden grew out of the ground already dead

Required words: Animal, boy, door, kind, light, slim, space, thought, unfortunate, wind

Deadline: Friday the 13th, 23:59 FR time, aka the witching hour EHEHEHEHE

[Pinglist]
@Skyeset - Ahhhh, thank you *o*

Next prompt: The flowers in their garden grew out of the ground already dead

Required words: Animal, boy, door, kind, light, slim, space, thought, unfortunate, wind

Deadline: Friday the 13th, 23:59 FR time, aka the witching hour EHEHEHEHE

[Pinglist]
VvxoVdD.png iceshieldr.png
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library