Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | {*The Waltz of Whispers*} Legacy of War
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 17
@pantir

i'm screaming!!!
@pantir

i'm screaming!!!
lords, what to say... just what to say...
The dynamic of the last few chapters has been great. The ever changing positions from Poi to Rhrea and back again feels like a dance of its own - very fitting with the title of the whole first book.
Thank you so much for going trough the efforts of writing this.
And yes, that last chapter made me tear up. Sooo intense, emotional, and your writing style is just great - to me, at least.
An epilogue? Sure I´d love to see an epilogue!
lords, what to say... just what to say...
The dynamic of the last few chapters has been great. The ever changing positions from Poi to Rhrea and back again feels like a dance of its own - very fitting with the title of the whole first book.
Thank you so much for going trough the efforts of writing this.
And yes, that last chapter made me tear up. Sooo intense, emotional, and your writing style is just great - to me, at least.
An epilogue? Sure I´d love to see an epilogue!
The Hatchery Masterlist
@ArouraBorialice (Aahh, thank you! :D)

@Yanisha Your comment put a huge smile on my face! I'm glad you liked how the perspective shifts contributed to the overall feel of the book -- and am even happier that you loved I.8 that much! It means so much that my writing can elicit feelings, you know? ;w; And with two people voicing interest in the epilogue, I'll very likely write it!

However, I must say that what keeps me writing are encouraging comments. ^^ So thank you for telling me your thoughts and for analyzing my work every chapter or two! I always look forward to what you have to say. :D
@ArouraBorialice (Aahh, thank you! :D)

@Yanisha Your comment put a huge smile on my face! I'm glad you liked how the perspective shifts contributed to the overall feel of the book -- and am even happier that you loved I.8 that much! It means so much that my writing can elicit feelings, you know? ;w; And with two people voicing interest in the epilogue, I'll very likely write it!

However, I must say that what keeps me writing are encouraging comments. ^^ So thank you for telling me your thoughts and for analyzing my work every chapter or two! I always look forward to what you have to say. :D
[center][size=6]Planting a Seed[/size] [b]Book I | Chapter 9[/b] [size=1]PINGLIST @ArouraBorialice @Ivythorn @pensandink @GoldenSootball @lilastar @FallowFreckles @Leopardmask @KitsumiMahon @Maddiebird @smeen @FlufferLover @Birdsofwax @Talismarr @Skyeset @Lyme @Pteranodon @CassieRose[/size] [item="Forgotten Poet's Tools"][item="Owlcat Journal"][item="Dancer's Bell"][/center] Rhea hummed quietly to herself, a sleepy smile on her face. Her body was sore -- her lungs still out of breath -- but she couldn't care. Today, her world had expanded thanks to the object she was wrapped around, one that she hadn't been aware would arrive that day: a single egg with two beautiful leaves and a sprout, glimmering with magic. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/10/1healthy_0dead.png[/img][/center] It came as a surprise to her. For creatures used to having clutches of multiple eggs, a single small bump against her taut Mirror tummy had hardly been what Rhea would call a warning sign. Granted, after taking Poi as her mate, she had anticipated in the following few weeks that she might experience the symptoms of pregnancy; but, when that didn't seem to happen, she just assumed that they would have to try again later if they wanted to start a family. Apparently not. A wistful happiness filled her as she nuzzled the little egg. [i]An only child,[/i] she mused, her eyes flickering. [i]Just like their mother.[/i] Growing up, Rhea never missed the idea of having siblings because it simply didn't occur to her; her parents had been content to spoil their only child, and -- believing that Fyrith would have continued to live in peace as it always had -- saw no need to produce any more. When the Whisperers' midwife came in the previous day to assist with labor, she had actually commented that Rhea was lucky: with a low egg count like hers -- a genetic anomaly -- it was fortunate that she and Poi could have a child at all. She bit her lip. [i]I hope Poi's genes will give them a better chance for children in the future.[/i] With that thought, Poi burst back onto the nesting grounds. An amused, tired smirk curled on Rhea's lips. She had sent him out to spread the news only five minutes ago. "That was fast," she commented, her voice still raspy from the day before. "I'm not leaving you for long in your state," he panted, swirling to her side and draping over her like the world's wiggliest blanket. "Is the egg okay?" "Poi, we haven't moved." He breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh, okay. So it [i]is[/i] safe." "Calm down," Rhea puffed, nuzzling up at his chin. "You're more anxious than I am." Poi wheezed a little, unable to suppress an excitable shiver at her nuzzle. "I guess I'm still processing it. Rhea -- we're going to be [i]parents.[/i]" "So I gathered." "We have an [i]egg[/i], Rhea." "Yes. It sure is sitting there." Poi whined. "Five months is going to take forever." He curled around Rhea a bit closer, leaning in so that his nose was right next to the egg, staring at it intensely with his large orange eyes. "I'm gonna watch it until then." Rhea choked back a laugh. "Oh, will you, now?" "Yes, ma'am," Poi replied, his gaze unrelenting. Rolling her eyes, Rhea gave him a soft pat on the head. "Well, remember to blink, okay? I don't need you going blind over an egg that will be tended to by us [i]and[/i] the professional nurses who work in the nesting grounds. We've all got it handled." Poi calmed a little under her words, his face relaxing into a smile. "Yes, ma'am." He leaned forward and gave his egg a tentative, delicate nuzzle. At the sight of it, Rhea smiled gently, and the two shared a comfortable silence. It was broken half a minute later, though, by Poi stretching up a little and petting Rhea's head. "By the way," he said, "I told our friends about the egg." "I should hope you did," Rhea mumbled with amusement. "X wants to know if they can be his or her uncles and O demands to be there when the egg hatches. He said he'll cry if he's not invited." Rhea snorted, a broad but tired smile spreading on her face. "Tell X that they're more than welcome to be uncles and tell O he can be there when the egg is hatched." Poi gave her a wobbly grin. "Can I give the word later?" Rhea leaned up and nuzzled his paw. "Permission granted." A soft sigh escaped Poi's nose and he curled into a more relaxed position around Rhea, his body's coils untensing to allow him to drape along her perfectly. Hearing his heartbeat against her crests made Rhea's own heart flutter. His smell, his warmth, the small hums that rumbled in his chest: she couldn't have found a better mate if fate tried to hand her one on a silver platter. And yet Rhea still felt doubt. "Poi?" she whispered. "Hmm?" "Do you think...?" She trailed off after a second, placing a tentative paw on the egg. "Do you think he or she will grow up okay?" Rhea felt Poi shift around her a little, his warmth moving slightly upward. His head now faced hers and he placed his own paw against the egg, his fingers brushing hers as he made eye contact. "If they're anything like their mom, I know they will." A sad smile spread on Rhea's face. She leaned forward and nuzzled Poi, and then the egg, in slow succession. "A hard life lies ahead of them." "Maybe," he murmured. "But they'll have us, their uncles, and the elder Whisperers behind them. Whatever life throws at them, they won't be alone. We'll face it as a family." Rhea's heart trembled. She never stopped questioning how Poi always knew just what to say to make her world bright again. After hearing those words, she gently laced her fingers with his, her smile filled with hope once more. "Yes," she whispered, her heart finally at peace. "We'll face the world together." [center]{*}[/center] [b]A/N:[/b] [i]I shower you two with love and you wegg me.[/i] ...Actually, it's not the end of the world. Lore-wise, a one egg nest in a Legacy of War means that the child is guaranteed to live and continue the legacy, which by extension means I can introduce the future mate much earlier on. Am I smelling a childhood friends to lovers plot coming up? That might be the case -- balanced with drama and action, of course! However... remember that rule about the heir needing upgrades for the story to turn in favor of the protagonists? Yeah. Now there's only one chance. Cross your fingers, everyone! If you haven't yet, remember to let me know if you're interested in seeing an epilogue for [i]The First Waltz![/i] :D Though I also have another question for you guys, which I will go through with if I have enough support before Poi's and Rhea's nest hatch: should I buy actual dragons to be Agents X and O? They're enough of a presence in the story now that I want to give them real names, which would result in them needing a "living form." [s]A living form that can eventually die if I'm evil enough.[/s]
Planting a Seed
Book I | Chapter 9

PINGLIST
@ArouraBorialice @Ivythorn @pensandink @GoldenSootball @lilastar @FallowFreckles @Leopardmask @KitsumiMahon @Maddiebird @smeen @FlufferLover @Birdsofwax @Talismarr @Skyeset @Lyme @Pteranodon @CassieRose

Forgotten Poet's Tools Owlcat Journal Dancer's Bell

Rhea hummed quietly to herself, a sleepy smile on her face. Her body was sore -- her lungs still out of breath -- but she couldn't care. Today, her world had expanded thanks to the object she was wrapped around, one that she hadn't been aware would arrive that day: a single egg with two beautiful leaves and a sprout, glimmering with magic.

1healthy_0dead.png

It came as a surprise to her. For creatures used to having clutches of multiple eggs, a single small bump against her taut Mirror tummy had hardly been what Rhea would call a warning sign. Granted, after taking Poi as her mate, she had anticipated in the following few weeks that she might experience the symptoms of pregnancy; but, when that didn't seem to happen, she just assumed that they would have to try again later if they wanted to start a family.

Apparently not.

A wistful happiness filled her as she nuzzled the little egg. An only child, she mused, her eyes flickering. Just like their mother.

Growing up, Rhea never missed the idea of having siblings because it simply didn't occur to her; her parents had been content to spoil their only child, and -- believing that Fyrith would have continued to live in peace as it always had -- saw no need to produce any more. When the Whisperers' midwife came in the previous day to assist with labor, she had actually commented that Rhea was lucky: with a low egg count like hers -- a genetic anomaly -- it was fortunate that she and Poi could have a child at all.

She bit her lip. I hope Poi's genes will give them a better chance for children in the future.

With that thought, Poi burst back onto the nesting grounds. An amused, tired smirk curled on Rhea's lips. She had sent him out to spread the news only five minutes ago. "That was fast," she commented, her voice still raspy from the day before.

"I'm not leaving you for long in your state," he panted, swirling to her side and draping over her like the world's wiggliest blanket. "Is the egg okay?"

"Poi, we haven't moved."

He breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh, okay. So it is safe."

"Calm down," Rhea puffed, nuzzling up at his chin. "You're more anxious than I am."

Poi wheezed a little, unable to suppress an excitable shiver at her nuzzle. "I guess I'm still processing it. Rhea -- we're going to be parents."

"So I gathered."

"We have an egg, Rhea."

"Yes. It sure is sitting there."

Poi whined. "Five months is going to take forever." He curled around Rhea a bit closer, leaning in so that his nose was right next to the egg, staring at it intensely with his large orange eyes. "I'm gonna watch it until then."

Rhea choked back a laugh. "Oh, will you, now?"

"Yes, ma'am," Poi replied, his gaze unrelenting.

Rolling her eyes, Rhea gave him a soft pat on the head. "Well, remember to blink, okay? I don't need you going blind over an egg that will be tended to by us and the professional nurses who work in the nesting grounds. We've all got it handled."

Poi calmed a little under her words, his face relaxing into a smile. "Yes, ma'am." He leaned forward and gave his egg a tentative, delicate nuzzle. At the sight of it, Rhea smiled gently, and the two shared a comfortable silence. It was broken half a minute later, though, by Poi stretching up a little and petting Rhea's head. "By the way," he said, "I told our friends about the egg."

"I should hope you did," Rhea mumbled with amusement.

"X wants to know if they can be his or her uncles and O demands to be there when the egg hatches. He said he'll cry if he's not invited."

Rhea snorted, a broad but tired smile spreading on her face. "Tell X that they're more than welcome to be uncles and tell O he can be there when the egg is hatched."

Poi gave her a wobbly grin. "Can I give the word later?"

Rhea leaned up and nuzzled his paw. "Permission granted."

A soft sigh escaped Poi's nose and he curled into a more relaxed position around Rhea, his body's coils untensing to allow him to drape along her perfectly. Hearing his heartbeat against her crests made Rhea's own heart flutter. His smell, his warmth, the small hums that rumbled in his chest: she couldn't have found a better mate if fate tried to hand her one on a silver platter.

And yet Rhea still felt doubt.

"Poi?" she whispered.

"Hmm?"

"Do you think...?" She trailed off after a second, placing a tentative paw on the egg. "Do you think he or she will grow up okay?"

Rhea felt Poi shift around her a little, his warmth moving slightly upward. His head now faced hers and he placed his own paw against the egg, his fingers brushing hers as he made eye contact. "If they're anything like their mom, I know they will."

A sad smile spread on Rhea's face. She leaned forward and nuzzled Poi, and then the egg, in slow succession. "A hard life lies ahead of them."

"Maybe," he murmured. "But they'll have us, their uncles, and the elder Whisperers behind them. Whatever life throws at them, they won't be alone. We'll face it as a family."

Rhea's heart trembled. She never stopped questioning how Poi always knew just what to say to make her world bright again. After hearing those words, she gently laced her fingers with his, her smile filled with hope once more.

"Yes," she whispered, her heart finally at peace. "We'll face the world together."

{*}

A/N: I shower you two with love and you wegg me.

...Actually, it's not the end of the world. Lore-wise, a one egg nest in a Legacy of War means that the child is guaranteed to live and continue the legacy, which by extension means I can introduce the future mate much earlier on. Am I smelling a childhood friends to lovers plot coming up? That might be the case -- balanced with drama and action, of course!

However... remember that rule about the heir needing upgrades for the story to turn in favor of the protagonists? Yeah. Now there's only one chance. Cross your fingers, everyone!

If you haven't yet, remember to let me know if you're interested in seeing an epilogue for The First Waltz! :D Though I also have another question for you guys, which I will go through with if I have enough support before Poi's and Rhea's nest hatch: should I buy actual dragons to be Agents X and O? They're enough of a presence in the story now that I want to give them real names, which would result in them needing a "living form." A living form that can eventually die if I'm evil enough.
@Dreamnorn

I'm really enjoying this so far! Personally I think you should find a couple dragons for X and O.
@Dreamnorn

I'm really enjoying this so far! Personally I think you should find a couple dragons for X and O.
wCtmyuR.png Avatar Dragon | Molten Lava Subspecies

“Life is like a piano; the white keys represent happiness and the black show sadness. But as you go through life's journey, remember that the black keys also create music.” - Ehssan
RClY3u4.gif GwKdven.png
I've been reading this since the beginning and I've been biding my time to make a comment. I thought about doing it after the epilogue, since that promises to be super dramatic. And then Rhea and Poi had a single egg your signature has never been more accurate and I just couldn't help myself. This might end up a bit long, but eh, you deserve it.

I love the world and story you've built for this challenge. Most Legacies of War revolve around personal revenge or quests for power, which is in no way a bad thing, but the ones that choose something different are the ones that stick out more. And you're so descriptive in everything! I know a lot of people commented on it already, but Branwen's introduction scene, Poi kicking Agent K's behind, the Fire Flower dance...it was all so well written! It was so easy to see and it made it all that much more enjoyable to read.

And of course, my favorite part of any story, the characters! I have to admit, I wasn't really sure I would like Rhea there in the beginning. And then she just kept developing more character and she met Poi, who is such an adorable goof....yeah, I ship them very hard. *cuddles them close* And even the characters who are supposed to be placeholders, like the fae and the nocturne and Agents O and X, the elder skydancer, I love all of them too. I fully support you getting real dragons of them because I really want them to keep showing up.

Um, I think that covers my gushing of the story in general...*skims post* yeah, think I'm good there. Now for this latest post specifically...*excitable gibberish and flailing* THEY ARE SO CUTE! And aw, they have one beautiful child to spoil~. I can't wait for the hatching! And no, don't remind me they can die, I would cry....anyway I think I've babbled long enough. In short, I love your story and I'm so excited to see how it ends. Keep up the good work!
I've been reading this since the beginning and I've been biding my time to make a comment. I thought about doing it after the epilogue, since that promises to be super dramatic. And then Rhea and Poi had a single egg your signature has never been more accurate and I just couldn't help myself. This might end up a bit long, but eh, you deserve it.

I love the world and story you've built for this challenge. Most Legacies of War revolve around personal revenge or quests for power, which is in no way a bad thing, but the ones that choose something different are the ones that stick out more. And you're so descriptive in everything! I know a lot of people commented on it already, but Branwen's introduction scene, Poi kicking Agent K's behind, the Fire Flower dance...it was all so well written! It was so easy to see and it made it all that much more enjoyable to read.

And of course, my favorite part of any story, the characters! I have to admit, I wasn't really sure I would like Rhea there in the beginning. And then she just kept developing more character and she met Poi, who is such an adorable goof....yeah, I ship them very hard. *cuddles them close* And even the characters who are supposed to be placeholders, like the fae and the nocturne and Agents O and X, the elder skydancer, I love all of them too. I fully support you getting real dragons of them because I really want them to keep showing up.

Um, I think that covers my gushing of the story in general...*skims post* yeah, think I'm good there. Now for this latest post specifically...*excitable gibberish and flailing* THEY ARE SO CUTE! And aw, they have one beautiful child to spoil~. I can't wait for the hatching! And no, don't remind me they can die, I would cry....anyway I think I've babbled long enough. In short, I love your story and I'm so excited to see how it ends. Keep up the good work!
@Dreamnorn

I think you should make X and O actual 'living' dragons. I'm also very much interested in an epilogue!

I'll give you some of my one-egg luck. If I get one-egged the hatchling usually turns out to be beautiful, so I'll be cheering this little egg on!
@Dreamnorn

I think you should make X and O actual 'living' dragons. I'm also very much interested in an epilogue!

I'll give you some of my one-egg luck. If I get one-egged the hatchling usually turns out to be beautiful, so I'll be cheering this little egg on!
redoing this soon
WEGGED. it is such a blessing and a curse because there's nothing like having a five egg nest with no room to hatch it

i am totally interested in an epilogue. honestly, just ping me for anything you write.

and i agree that x and o should be actual dragons - not sure if you want hatchlings or adults but i would totally donate a tundra and/or coatl from my hatchery if you see one that fits the bill :D
WEGGED. it is such a blessing and a curse because there's nothing like having a five egg nest with no room to hatch it

i am totally interested in an epilogue. honestly, just ping me for anything you write.

and i agree that x and o should be actual dragons - not sure if you want hatchlings or adults but i would totally donate a tundra and/or coatl from my hatchery if you see one that fits the bill :D

featured dragon
for sale

gen 1! ♥
42298218.png
4gPXCym.gif
always feel free to ping me
she/her
+ 2
tumblr
wishlist
@dreamnorm

I'd love to see at the very least series of what they look like
@dreamnorm

I'd love to see at the very least series of what they look like
Please ping me when you reply to my
posts or I probably won't see it.
I don't really sub to my topics, so
Unless I specify, ping me
tumblr_nm1sm0uXkM1tfzajgo3_r1_75sq.gif tumblr_n4rnlnlsOx1sl6hkto5_250.gif
*chanting* Epilogue! Epilogue! Epilogue!

I'll be honest, 1.8 definitely made me tear up. And then I played the music (which was so perfect) and was like NOPE must turn this off to prevent actual crying. Oh my heart! It was such an honest, beautiful chapter. (The clovers really got me ugh *feels*) The one before was sweet as well, Rhea confused about her feelings around Poi, it was so cute. He is adorable and I love how she has opened up to him, as he seems quite silly and goofy next to her - so serious and trying to keep her feelings in check. Understandable, as she is feeling like she has some big shoes to fill as a Commander!

These two are now my babies and I don't want anything bad to happen to them. You hear??

Also, yes I want to see X and O as real dragons! I laughed out loud at X's "charm bomb" attitude and jokes while they were waiting to speak to the elders. What a scoundrel! It was so like adolescent boys to make such jokes. They definitely help flesh out the story, and I love how they have a little family going. Uncles! It's almost too much. I love your writing, it all works together so well! Dark, light, up and down. I'm really enjoying it, thanks for putting so much effort into it! ^^
*chanting* Epilogue! Epilogue! Epilogue!

I'll be honest, 1.8 definitely made me tear up. And then I played the music (which was so perfect) and was like NOPE must turn this off to prevent actual crying. Oh my heart! It was such an honest, beautiful chapter. (The clovers really got me ugh *feels*) The one before was sweet as well, Rhea confused about her feelings around Poi, it was so cute. He is adorable and I love how she has opened up to him, as he seems quite silly and goofy next to her - so serious and trying to keep her feelings in check. Understandable, as she is feeling like she has some big shoes to fill as a Commander!

These two are now my babies and I don't want anything bad to happen to them. You hear??

Also, yes I want to see X and O as real dragons! I laughed out loud at X's "charm bomb" attitude and jokes while they were waiting to speak to the elders. What a scoundrel! It was so like adolescent boys to make such jokes. They definitely help flesh out the story, and I love how they have a little family going. Uncles! It's almost too much. I love your writing, it all works together so well! Dark, light, up and down. I'm really enjoying it, thanks for putting so much effort into it! ^^
earthshieldr.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 17