Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Thin Ice [Pinkerlocke]
1 2 3

THIN ICE
~ A PINKERLOCKE ~

When a trading galley from the Southern Icefields bound for the Starfall Isles is caught in a storm, the lives of two young dragons are blown off-course with it.

Washed ashore in a strange land, they strike out towards home—wherever that is. Will they ever find out what happened to their lost ship? How can they hope to find their place in the world when each day is a struggle to survive?

Welcome to my Pinkerlocke! I'm very excited to get underway. I'll only be writing when I have enough time, so I probably won't be putting out updates every day, but I'll try my best!

I hope you have as much fun reading as I have writing!

THIN ICE
~ A PINKERLOCKE ~

When a trading galley from the Southern Icefields bound for the Starfall Isles is caught in a storm, the lives of two young dragons are blown off-course with it.

Washed ashore in a strange land, they strike out towards home—wherever that is. Will they ever find out what happened to their lost ship? How can they hope to find their place in the world when each day is a struggle to survive?

Welcome to my Pinkerlocke! I'm very excited to get underway. I'll only be writing when I have enough time, so I probably won't be putting out updates every day, but I'll try my best!

I hope you have as much fun reading as I have writing!

tumblr_oqcvng3u3g1vu82qko1_500.png

RULES

I've taken these rules from the standard Pinkerlocke rules. I've modified them slightly to fit my own needs. I may update them as necessary!

BASIC RULES

A death in the coliseum = that dragon must be exalted.

Since it's hard to separate my Pinkerlocke dragons from my main lair, I won't be keeping track of food. However, I will tally any battle stones, apparel, familiars, or so forth that drop in the coli; they'll go into the inventory list for my dragons to use.

And, most crucially, all nuzlocke activity corresponds with the loot you obtain daily from Pinkerton's plundered pile!

Since this is a partitioned Pinkerlocke, the participating dragons are located after all the other dragons in the main lair. When I'm not actively using them in the coli or otherwise, they'll have Marva's Invisibility Cloak equipped to separate them from my other dragons.

DROPS OF FATE

Food: Coliseum time!
  • Plants: 10-20 matches
  • Insects: 20-30 matches
  • Seafood: 30-40 matches
  • Meat: 40-50 matches
You must select coliseum challengers in your lair using a random number generator. Then, add together the levels of your coliseum team and divide by three (even if your coli team is less than three dragons). Select the coliseum arena that corresponds to that level. If your dragons level up while in an area, you can still stay there for the whole day. You can quit your battle streak at any time to regen health, and flee from battles if it is appropriate. You may only use potions, etc. that you've obtained from Pinkerton or the coli/funds you made in the coli.

Materials: Do some writing!

Non-material days may have an optional short passage of writing in addition to their designated activity. Material drops will require a longer passage with at least one (1) plot development.

Apparel New baby dragon!

Pick two dragons to breed. You must flip a coin for each hatchling once they hatch. If tails, the dragon is dead and you must exalt it.

If none of your dragons are ready to breed, buy a hatchling off the auction house using the rules below.

Familiars: Buy a new dragon!

Buy the cheapest adult dragon in the auction house of a specific breed. Use a random number generator (between 1-13) to determine which breed you will get!

1.Fae
2. Guardian
3. Mirror
4. Pearlcatcher
5. Ridgeback
6. Tundra
7. Spiral
8. Imperial
9. Snapper
10. Wildclaw
11. Nocturne
12. Coatl
13. Skydancer
14. Bogsneak

Battle Items: Disaster strikes!

Flip a coin.
Heads = DEATH STREAK
Tails = Nothing happens

DEATH STREAK rules: Randomly select three dragons using a random number generator. Fight in the coliseum using the "food" rules 10 rounds consecutively (ie. you cannot leave that arena), quitting midway if a dragon dies.

Trinkets: Do some art!

ITEMS

I'll be keeping a tally on my laptop of the team's items and funds. It's too much work to record non-boss fight food/material/trinket drops, but I'll be keeping track of any funds or special items obtained.

Unless my regular coli team has fought in the area recently, I'll assume all items originating from the areas my Pinkerlocke dragons have been fighting in belong to them, and will apply the hoardsell profits to their funds.

The auction house can only be used if the dragons are canonically in a large port or city in the narrative.

Any items the coli team needs (potions, battle stones, etc.) need to be obtained from Pinkerton, through coli drops, or must be purchased with money made from the coli.

GAME OVER

If all the dragons die, then you lose!

A dragon that has reached level 25 achieves "immunity" and cannot be killed off in the main storyline from a death in the coli (they may still, however, be killed off in the event of a Death Streak). When all your existing dragons reach level 25, you win! Your dragons may join your main lair.

RULES

I've taken these rules from the standard Pinkerlocke rules. I've modified them slightly to fit my own needs. I may update them as necessary!

BASIC RULES

A death in the coliseum = that dragon must be exalted.

Since it's hard to separate my Pinkerlocke dragons from my main lair, I won't be keeping track of food. However, I will tally any battle stones, apparel, familiars, or so forth that drop in the coli; they'll go into the inventory list for my dragons to use.

And, most crucially, all nuzlocke activity corresponds with the loot you obtain daily from Pinkerton's plundered pile!

Since this is a partitioned Pinkerlocke, the participating dragons are located after all the other dragons in the main lair. When I'm not actively using them in the coli or otherwise, they'll have Marva's Invisibility Cloak equipped to separate them from my other dragons.

DROPS OF FATE

Food: Coliseum time!
  • Plants: 10-20 matches
  • Insects: 20-30 matches
  • Seafood: 30-40 matches
  • Meat: 40-50 matches
You must select coliseum challengers in your lair using a random number generator. Then, add together the levels of your coliseum team and divide by three (even if your coli team is less than three dragons). Select the coliseum arena that corresponds to that level. If your dragons level up while in an area, you can still stay there for the whole day. You can quit your battle streak at any time to regen health, and flee from battles if it is appropriate. You may only use potions, etc. that you've obtained from Pinkerton or the coli/funds you made in the coli.

Materials: Do some writing!

Non-material days may have an optional short passage of writing in addition to their designated activity. Material drops will require a longer passage with at least one (1) plot development.

Apparel New baby dragon!

Pick two dragons to breed. You must flip a coin for each hatchling once they hatch. If tails, the dragon is dead and you must exalt it.

If none of your dragons are ready to breed, buy a hatchling off the auction house using the rules below.

Familiars: Buy a new dragon!

Buy the cheapest adult dragon in the auction house of a specific breed. Use a random number generator (between 1-13) to determine which breed you will get!

1.Fae
2. Guardian
3. Mirror
4. Pearlcatcher
5. Ridgeback
6. Tundra
7. Spiral
8. Imperial
9. Snapper
10. Wildclaw
11. Nocturne
12. Coatl
13. Skydancer
14. Bogsneak

Battle Items: Disaster strikes!

Flip a coin.
Heads = DEATH STREAK
Tails = Nothing happens

DEATH STREAK rules: Randomly select three dragons using a random number generator. Fight in the coliseum using the "food" rules 10 rounds consecutively (ie. you cannot leave that arena), quitting midway if a dragon dies.

Trinkets: Do some art!

ITEMS

I'll be keeping a tally on my laptop of the team's items and funds. It's too much work to record non-boss fight food/material/trinket drops, but I'll be keeping track of any funds or special items obtained.

Unless my regular coli team has fought in the area recently, I'll assume all items originating from the areas my Pinkerlocke dragons have been fighting in belong to them, and will apply the hoardsell profits to their funds.

The auction house can only be used if the dragons are canonically in a large port or city in the narrative.

Any items the coli team needs (potions, battle stones, etc.) need to be obtained from Pinkerton, through coli drops, or must be purchased with money made from the coli.

GAME OVER

If all the dragons die, then you lose!

A dragon that has reached level 25 achieves "immunity" and cannot be killed off in the main storyline from a death in the coli (they may still, however, be killed off in the event of a Death Streak). When all your existing dragons reach level 25, you win! Your dragons may join your main lair.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Pinglist:
InHeritent, KyaniteGem, DragonPanther888, Vairocanna, Gloomyreaper

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Pinglist:
InHeritent, KyaniteGem, DragonPanther888, Vairocanna, Gloomyreaper

----- [center][b][size=5]FOREWORD[/size][/b][/center] ----- First, to roll for starting dragons! Since I want to get right to business, I'm making a one-time exception and buying the cheapest [i]adult[/i] dragon of each breed. And the rolls are: 3 = Mirror 12 = Coatl I've assigned them each three randomly generated personality traits using [url=http://ideonomy.mit.edu/essays/traits.html]this list[/url]; one positive, one negative, and one neutral. (Their personalities might drift from this starting point as I write, but it's just that: a starting point!) So, let's meet our starting dragons! ----- [columns][size=5] Felka[/size] She/Her understanding | stern | shortsighted [nextcol][size=1].[/size] [nextcol][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=176&bodygene=7&breed=3&element=6&gender=1&tert=11&tertgene=7&winggene=1&wings=176&auth=939ab8f00054d8c214246f449cccea7b0c969a61&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/columns] [columns][size=5] Sance[/size] He/Him observant | freewheeling | lazy [nextcol][size=1].[/size] [nextcol][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=33&bodygene=2&breed=12&element=6&gender=1&tert=169&tertgene=0&winggene=2&wings=110&auth=469bbccfa7422421471711e561480a82f327d928&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/columns] -----

FOREWORD

First, to roll for starting dragons! Since I want to get right to business, I'm making a one-time exception and buying the cheapest adult dragon of each breed. And the rolls are:

3 = Mirror
12 = Coatl

I've assigned them each three randomly generated personality traits using this list; one positive, one negative, and one neutral. (Their personalities might drift from this starting point as I write, but it's just that: a starting point!)

So, let's meet our starting dragons!

Felka

She/Her
understanding | stern | shortsighted
. dragon?age=1&body=176&bodygene=7&breed=3&element=6&gender=1&tert=11&tertgene=7&winggene=1&wings=176&auth=939ab8f00054d8c214246f449cccea7b0c969a61&dummyext=prev.png

Sance

He/Him
observant | freewheeling | lazy
. dragon?age=1&body=33&bodygene=2&breed=12&element=6&gender=1&tert=169&tertgene=0&winggene=2&wings=110&auth=469bbccfa7422421471711e561480a82f327d928&dummyext=prev.png

----- [center][b][size=5]PROLOGUE[/size][/b][/center] [center][b][size=3]Day 1 [/size][/b][/center] [size=2] ----- Location: open ocean Current dragons: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Felka[/url], [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Sance[/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftX56aCvCs]([u]optional ambiance listening[/u])[/url][/size] ----- [center][item=High-Voltage Almonds][/center] [center][size=3]Coliseum: 10-20 matches[/size][/center] ----- Sance woke to the taste of salt and blood. He tried to collect his thoughts. He remembered the ship, and a storm... And... His head was pounding. He tried to crack his eyes open, but the light was blinding. He closed them Sance gripped the slick railings of the ship's decks as he gazed out towards the horizon. He couldn't tell where the sky ended and the ocean began; all he could see was a stormy expanse of black. A violent gust of wind grabbed at his wings and threatened to send him tumbling over. He decided he better head inside until the storm died out. Even though they had only set sail from the Southern Icefields a couple days ago, he was already feeling cramped and restless in the stuffy cabins. He took a last deep breath of fresh, salty air before retreating below decks. ----- Sance found Felka curled up in her bunk, writing something down in her omnipresent cloth-bound journal. Without waiting for an invitation, he hoisted himself up beside her. "Ugh, you're soaked!" She snapped her journal closed and held it away from his sopping form, lest he get the pages wet. "I wanted to try and see the Starfall Isles. I thought maybe by now we would be close enough to at least make out the observatory." He snuggled up closer, leaching off her warmth. Resignedly, Felka tucked her journal away with her belongings and settled back down against him. "According to Janitt, we won't reach land for another day or two," she reminded him. "Plus, if this storm gets any worse, there's a chance we could get dragged off course. If that happens, it'll take even longer." The two fell silent for a while, listening to sounds of the timber and waves. Sance stared hard at the ceiling. He chose his words carefully before speaking. "I've given it some thought, and I don't think I'll be returning with the ship. You know, after we finish with all the trading and selling." Felka turned her head to look at him. He couldn't read the look in her eyes. "Is this about Tay?" She asked. "No! Well. Not completely." He fiddled with one of his feathers, running his claw along it. "I just... don't feel like its where I'm meant to be." To his surprise, she nodded. "I know," she said. "And you're ok with that?" Felka smiled. "Only if you let me come with you." ----- Later that night, as Sance lay in his own bunk, he felt exhaustion and relief seeping deep into his bones. For the first time in a great while, he was excited for what the future held. He hoped they wouldn't be delayed like Felka had suggested; he wanted to reach the Starfall Isles as soon as possible. He drifted off to sleep, lulled by the rocking of the galley and listening to the sounds of the storm around them. -----

PROLOGUE
Day 1

Current dragons: Felka, Sance

(optional ambiance listening)

High-Voltage Almonds
Coliseum: 10-20 matches

Sance woke to the taste of salt and blood.

He tried to collect his thoughts. He remembered the ship, and a storm... And...

His head was pounding. He tried to crack his eyes open, but the light was blinding. He closed them Sance gripped the slick railings of the ship's decks as he gazed out towards the horizon. He couldn't tell where the sky ended and the ocean began; all he could see was a stormy expanse of black.

A violent gust of wind grabbed at his wings and threatened to send him tumbling over. He decided he better head inside until the storm died out. Even though they had only set sail from the Southern Icefields a couple days ago, he was already feeling cramped and restless in the stuffy cabins. He took a last deep breath of fresh, salty air before retreating below decks.

Sance found Felka curled up in her bunk, writing something down in her omnipresent cloth-bound journal. Without waiting for an invitation, he hoisted himself up beside her.

"Ugh, you're soaked!" She snapped her journal closed and held it away from his sopping form, lest he get the pages wet.

"I wanted to try and see the Starfall Isles. I thought maybe by now we would be close enough to at least make out the observatory." He snuggled up closer, leaching off her warmth. Resignedly, Felka tucked her journal away with her belongings and settled back down against him.

"According to Janitt, we won't reach land for another day or two," she reminded him. "Plus, if this storm gets any worse, there's a chance we could get dragged off course. If that happens, it'll take even longer."

The two fell silent for a while, listening to sounds of the timber and waves.

Sance stared hard at the ceiling. He chose his words carefully before speaking.

"I've given it some thought, and I don't think I'll be returning with the ship. You know, after we finish with all the trading and selling."

Felka turned her head to look at him. He couldn't read the look in her eyes.

"Is this about Tay?" She asked.

"No! Well. Not completely." He fiddled with one of his feathers, running his claw along it. "I just... don't feel like its where I'm meant to be."

To his surprise, she nodded.

"I know," she said.

"And you're ok with that?"

Felka smiled.

"Only if you let me come with you."

Later that night, as Sance lay in his own bunk, he felt exhaustion and relief seeping deep into his bones. For the first time in a great while, he was excited for what the future held. He hoped they wouldn't be delayed like Felka had suggested; he wanted to reach the Starfall Isles as soon as possible.

He drifted off to sleep, lulled by the rocking of the galley and listening to the sounds of the storm around them.

----- [center][b][size=5]. 1 . [/size][/b][/center] [center][b][size=3]Day 2 [/size][/b][/center] [size=2] ----- Location: ??? Current dragons: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Felka[/url], [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Sance[/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrLQbNu8mc]([u]optional ambiance listening[/u])[/url] ----- [center][item=Common Mosquito][/center] [center][size=3]Coliseum: 20-30 matches[/size][/center] ----- Sance woke to the taste of salt and blood. He tried to collect his thoughts. He remembered the ship, and a storm... And... His head was pounding. He tried to crack his eyes open, but the light was blinding. He closed them again. He could feel hot sand beneath him. "Felka?" Sance barely recognized the croak as his own voice. "Felka? Felka? Felka?" "I'm here! I'm ok." Sance let out a breath at the sound of her voice. He felt like he could cry, if there had been a drop of water in his body left to spare. His head was pounding. He could hear waves lapping gently against the shore. The sound made him want to vomit. He tried opening his eyes again. The sun still hurt them, but it was becoming more bearable. Felka was staring down at him. She looked as bad as he felt. "Do you think you can walk?" he heard her ask. "We should probably get off the shoreline and try to find some cover before night falls." Sance nodded. He rolled onto his side, and tried his legs. They hurt terribly, but they seemed to be intact. He stood up carefully. Once he felt stable, he let her help him along the sand. It was slow going, but eventually the rolling dunes gave way to grassy fields. The day was warm, much warmer than he was used to. Small puffs of ocean breeze stirred his feathers. It would have been pleasant, if he hadn't been in so much pain. They had to stop every couple minutes to catch their breath. Neither had enough energy for words. When they finally found a clump of bushes that looked large enough to shelter in, they crawled inside and collapsed against each other. ----- When Sance woke again, it was dark. Felka was a short distance away, kneeling over a small fire. He must have been asleep a good long while, because it was more coals than flame. She turned when she heard him stirring. "Sance!" She moved to his side. "Felka, what...?" Sance swallowed. His throat was so dry. She helped him sit up. "Hold on, I found some water," she said. She disappeared for a second. Sance didn't have the energy to follow, or even turn his head to watch her go. When she returned, she was holding a large chunk of bamboo. She put it to his lips, and he drank. The water was the sweetest he had ever tasted. He felt a small amount of vitality return to him. He reached up and took the bamboo in his hands. Satisfied that he was able to hold it himself, she sat back. He ran his claw along the piece of bamboo. She had broken it off under a joint, so that the hollow center was closed off at one end; water sloshed inside. He took another gulp. "Do you know what happened? With the ship?" His voice still felt hoarse, but at least he was managing full sentences. "We got caught in a storm." Sance nodded. He remembered that part. "I'm not really clear on what happened after that," she continued. "All I know is that when I woke up on the shore, you were all I could find. No wreckage, no one else. Nothing. Maybe the ship was wrecked, but we got separated from the rest of it. Maybe the ship is fine, but we got swept overboard. I'm not sure." Sance nodded again. He felt surprisingly calm. He passed the bamboo back to Felka; she set it down beside her. "Are you hurt?" "Not really, nowhere near as badly as you are." He swore he could hear the faintest suggestion of a chuckle in her voice. "We're both pretty banged up, but you got the worst of it. " Felka went to get more water. As they passed it back and forth, they decided that it would be best to sleep in turns. Sance took first watch. He spent the long night staring into the dying embers, wondering what became of their lost ship, and how long it would take for them to get answers. ----- [i]I got a bit ahead of myself and started posting writing even though I haven't gotten a material yet... Whoops! Since I've already written the next bit, Sance and Felka can't die during this or the next streak I GUESS ¯\_(-v- )_/¯ Sorry for bein an idiot lmao [/i] -----

. 1 .
Day 2

Common Mosquito
Coliseum: 20-30 matches

Sance woke to the taste of salt and blood.

He tried to collect his thoughts. He remembered the ship, and a storm... And...

His head was pounding. He tried to crack his eyes open, but the light was blinding. He closed them again.

He could feel hot sand beneath him.

"Felka?" Sance barely recognized the croak as his own voice. "Felka? Felka? Felka?"

"I'm here! I'm ok." Sance let out a breath at the sound of her voice. He felt like he could cry, if there had been a drop of water in his body left to spare.

His head was pounding. He could hear waves lapping gently against the shore. The sound made him want to vomit.

He tried opening his eyes again. The sun still hurt them, but it was becoming more bearable. Felka was staring down at him. She looked as bad as he felt.

"Do you think you can walk?" he heard her ask. "We should probably get off the shoreline and try to find some cover before night falls." Sance nodded.

He rolled onto his side, and tried his legs. They hurt terribly, but they seemed to be intact. He stood up carefully.

Once he felt stable, he let her help him along the sand. It was slow going, but eventually the rolling dunes gave way to grassy fields.

The day was warm, much warmer than he was used to. Small puffs of ocean breeze stirred his feathers. It would have been pleasant, if he hadn't been in so much pain. They had to stop every couple minutes to catch their breath. Neither had enough energy for words.

When they finally found a clump of bushes that looked large enough to shelter in, they crawled inside and collapsed against each other.

When Sance woke again, it was dark. Felka was a short distance away, kneeling over a small fire. He must have been asleep a good long while, because it was more coals than flame. She turned when she heard him stirring.

"Sance!" She moved to his side.

"Felka, what...?" Sance swallowed. His throat was so dry.

She helped him sit up.

"Hold on, I found some water," she said. She disappeared for a second. Sance didn't have the energy to follow, or even turn his head to watch her go.

When she returned, she was holding a large chunk of bamboo. She put it to his lips, and he drank.

The water was the sweetest he had ever tasted. He felt a small amount of vitality return to him. He reached up and took the bamboo in his hands. Satisfied that he was able to hold it himself, she sat back.

He ran his claw along the piece of bamboo. She had broken it off under a joint, so that the hollow center was closed off at one end; water sloshed inside. He took another gulp.

"Do you know what happened? With the ship?" His voice still felt hoarse, but at least he was managing full sentences.

"We got caught in a storm." Sance nodded. He remembered that part.

"I'm not really clear on what happened after that," she continued. "All I know is that when I woke up on the shore, you were all I could find. No wreckage, no one else. Nothing. Maybe the ship was wrecked, but we got separated from the rest of it. Maybe the ship is fine, but we got swept overboard. I'm not sure."

Sance nodded again. He felt surprisingly calm. He passed the bamboo back to Felka; she set it down beside her.

"Are you hurt?"

"Not really, nowhere near as badly as you are." He swore he could hear the faintest suggestion of a chuckle in her voice. "We're both pretty banged up, but you got the worst of it. "

Felka went to get more water. As they passed it back and forth, they decided that it would be best to sleep in turns. Sance took first watch.

He spent the long night staring into the dying embers, wondering what became of their lost ship, and how long it would take for them to get answers.

I got a bit ahead of myself and started posting writing even though I haven't gotten a material yet... Whoops! Since I've already written the next bit, Sance and Felka can't die during this or the next streak I GUESS ¯\_(-v- )_/¯ Sorry for bein an idiot lmao

----- [center][b][size=5]. 2 . [/size][/b][/center] [center][b][size=3]Day 3 [/size][/b][/center] [size=2] ----- Location: ??? Current dragons: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Felka[/url], [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Sance[/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1jYoipuDs]([u]optional ambiance listening[/u])[/url] ----- [center][item=Northern Crayfish][/center] [center][size=3]Coliseum: 30-40 matches[/size][/center] ----- The night passed without incident. In the morning, Sance woke feeling stiff and achey. He helped Felka bury the remains of the fire, and then the two of them set out into the sea of grass. The warm wind that blew along the open fields rustled Sance’s feathers and made the tall grass around them bow and sway. Small, puffy clouds scudded across the sky and fat, fuzzy bees buzzed from one wildflower to the next. “It’s really kind of nice out here,” Felka said, stopping to appreciate a small, white butterfly that was flitting across her path. “With terrain this gentle, we might be able to find a clan settled around here somewhere that can tell us where we are.” Sance considered that. “If we could find out where we are, then we’d know which way we’d need to go to get to the Starfall Isles,” he mused. “I mean, if the ship did sink or run aground, isn’t it weird that none of wreckage washed ashore with us?” Felka nodded in agreement. “It could be that the ship is completely fine. And even if they got blown off-course, that’s where they would be heading next.” That sat well with Sance. It felt good to have a plan. ----- Around midday, they stopped to rest in the shade of a patch of large shrubs. The flat grasslands were giving way to broad steppes, each one rising up from the last. The ascent was gentle, but the two dragons were tired, which made their progress slow. A stream burbled nearby. Sance tried to catch one of the small fish that darted among the shallow waters at the banks, but he came up empty-handed. He contented himself with a long drink of the cool, clear water. “You know what I wish I had with me?” Felka asked as Sance settled down next to her. “Hmm?” “My journal.” “Oh, right. It must still be with the ship, huh?” “Most likely,” Felka blew a bug away from her face. “Wherever that is.” They sat in silence. The sunlight filtering through the leaves above them cast spotted shadows on their limbs that shifted to and fro with the breeze. Felka used a claw to scratch something into the dirt, though Sance couldn’t tell what it was supposed to be. A rustling in the nearby bushes brought their wandering thoughts sharply back to the present. In a moment, they were both on their feet, readying themselves for whatever was crashing through the brush towards them. Sance tensed his sore legs, trying to decide whether it would be better to stand their ground, or make a break for it. To his surprise, a young skydancer burst out of the bushes, rolling to a stop a short ways away from them. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=129&bodygene=4&breed=13&element=3&gender=0&tert=50&tertgene=5&winggene=12&wings=50&auth=02a108b3ea2c2f681483095795629e0e44e52f12&dummyext=prev.png[/img] The hatchling lay on his back for a second; it looked like the wind had been knocked out of him. Sance and Felka glanced at each other. Before they could decide how to react to this new development, the tiny dragon was on his feet. He called out excitedly to the two older dragons. “Did you see that? Did you see how high I went that time?” He puffed out his chest and strutted back and forth. “I’m the best flier! Lani hasn’t even gotten off the ground yet!” He stopped, and looked at them expectantly. “Y-yes! Wow!” Sance stalled. “That was really good!” “Are you alone out here?” Felka furrowed her brow. Her question was answered when another, much larger dragon stepped out of the underbrush. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=53&bodygene=15&breed=2&element=3&gender=1&tert=9&tertgene=13&winggene=2&wings=37&auth=ec0f5c3212a52c4da62cda994434f61532b9d8a5&dummyext=prev.png[/img] “Makani? Makani, where did you go?” Although her tone was gentle, her powerful voice was like a rumble of thunder. The skydancer, who seemed to be the Makani in question, scampered over to her. “I was saying hi! Did you see how well I did?” He pulled himself up one of her massive legs and settled between her wings. “I did, but you shouldn’t get separated from the rest of the group.” She turned her gaze back towards the two ice dragons. “I don’t think I’ve seen either of you before. Who would you be?” “Lost, actually.” Felka had probably not intended her grin to be quite so feeble. The guardian cut an imposing figure. “We came from the Southern Icefields,” Sance supplied. “We got caught in a storm, and washed ashore about a day’s walk from here.” “I see. You are quite a ways from home; this is the Zephyr Steppes.” The guardian considered them for a moment. “The two of you look like a pair of kites that've gone through a hailstorm, poor dears. If you don’t mind waiting until I’ve finished with the day’s lessons, I would be happy to bring you back to the den with us. Our healer can help patch you up, and you can get a proper meal.” Sance and Felka agreed readily, and followed the guardian back the way she had come. The bushes opened up into a meadow, with grassy plateaus forming broad, tiered steps. A group of hatchlings were taking running jumps off of these small ledges, pumping their tiny wings as they tried to take to the air. Makani hopped down from his perch and ran to join them. The guardian settled herself on a waiting blanket that had been spread out in the sun and gestured for them to join her. “I don’t think I caught your names,” she said, keeping one eye on the hatchlings. “I’m Felka, and this is Sance.” Felka motioned to each of them in turn. The guardian dipped her head in acknowledgment. “My name is Kamea. I take charge of caring for the clan’s young ones. I often bring them here to practice taking off and landing.” “It’s very nice to meet you!” Felka said politely. A hatchling with a scraped knee called Kamea’s attention away from them. As she tended to the scrape, Felka leaned over to Sance. “Isn’t she gorgeous?” She whispered. “Kamea? Yeah, I guess,” he replied. Felka huffed at him. “You have no taste, Sance.” She gave him a friendly check with her shoulder. “No, you just have a type!” He laughed as he gave her a shove. The two friends giggled together as they sat back on the warm grass, feeling the sun on their faces and listening to the whoops of the hatchlings as they ran and jumped and tried to take flight. ----- When the group arrived at the clan’s lair, the light was fading from the sky. A couple tired hatchlings had climbed onto Kamea’s back, rather than finish the walk themselves. The rest surrounded the three older dragons in a gaggle of little legs and wings, periodically running ahead or falling behind as various distractions along their path caught their interest. A large clearing ringed with tall bushes marked the entrance. Beyond, tunnels cut through the thick greenery, leading to parts of the lair hidden deep within the chaparral. Kamea sent the hatchlings down one of these tunnels, then led Sance and Felka down another. True to her word, she brought them first to the healer, then to get something to eat. Once they were bandaged up and fed, she showed them where they could sleep that night. Like many other parts of the lair, it was a small opening in the brush. Beyond the branches that bent overhead, Sance could see stars twinkling in the night sky. “In the morning, we should ask around to see if anyone has any news about shipwrecks on the coast.” Felka yawned. Sance nodded his sleepy agreement. The two curled up together and let the rustling of the wind in the leaves lull them to sleep. ----- [size=2] [i]I was planning on introducing familiars as the dragons earned them in the coli, but Felka and Sance surprised me by finding a Bluelight Chipskink AND an Alpha Webwing during their bout in the Training Fields! I couldn’t figure out a way to gracefully incorporate them into the story, so I just. decided not to... lmao How do y’all feel about pictures of dragons that aren’t a permanent part of the party being included? I like the visual, but if it’s too disrupting to the reading experience, let me know![/i] ----- [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240/1#post_27443013]>JUMP TO NEXT ENTRY<[/url] -----

. 2 .
Day 3

Northern Crayfish
Coliseum: 30-40 matches

The night passed without incident. In the morning, Sance woke feeling stiff and achey. He helped Felka bury the remains of the fire, and then the two of them set out into the sea of grass.

The warm wind that blew along the open fields rustled Sance’s feathers and made the tall grass around them bow and sway. Small, puffy clouds scudded across the sky and fat, fuzzy bees buzzed from one wildflower to the next.

“It’s really kind of nice out here,” Felka said, stopping to appreciate a small, white butterfly that was flitting across her path. “With terrain this gentle, we might be able to find a clan settled around here somewhere that can tell us where we are.”

Sance considered that.

“If we could find out where we are, then we’d know which way we’d need to go to get to the Starfall Isles,” he mused. “I mean, if the ship did sink or run aground, isn’t it weird that none of wreckage washed ashore with us?”

Felka nodded in agreement.

“It could be that the ship is completely fine. And even if they got blown off-course, that’s where they would be heading next.”

That sat well with Sance. It felt good to have a plan.

Around midday, they stopped to rest in the shade of a patch of large shrubs. The flat grasslands were giving way to broad steppes, each one rising up from the last. The ascent was gentle, but the two dragons were tired, which made their progress slow.

A stream burbled nearby. Sance tried to catch one of the small fish that darted among the shallow waters at the banks, but he came up empty-handed. He contented himself with a long drink of the cool, clear water.

“You know what I wish I had with me?” Felka asked as Sance settled down next to her.

“Hmm?”

“My journal.”

“Oh, right. It must still be with the ship, huh?”

“Most likely,” Felka blew a bug away from her face. “Wherever that is.”

They sat in silence. The sunlight filtering through the leaves above them cast spotted shadows on their limbs that shifted to and fro with the breeze. Felka used a claw to scratch something into the dirt, though Sance couldn’t tell what it was supposed to be.

A rustling in the nearby bushes brought their wandering thoughts sharply back to the present. In a moment, they were both on their feet, readying themselves for whatever was crashing through the brush towards them. Sance tensed his sore legs, trying to decide whether it would be better to stand their ground, or make a break for it.

To his surprise, a young skydancer burst out of the bushes, rolling to a stop a short ways away from them.

dragon?age=0&body=129&bodygene=4&breed=13&element=3&gender=0&tert=50&tertgene=5&winggene=12&wings=50&auth=02a108b3ea2c2f681483095795629e0e44e52f12&dummyext=prev.png

The hatchling lay on his back for a second; it looked like the wind had been knocked out of him. Sance and Felka glanced at each other. Before they could decide how to react to this new development, the tiny dragon was on his feet. He called out excitedly to the two older dragons.

“Did you see that? Did you see how high I went that time?” He puffed out his chest and strutted back and forth. “I’m the best flier! Lani hasn’t even gotten off the ground yet!” He stopped, and looked at them expectantly.

“Y-yes! Wow!” Sance stalled. “That was really good!”

“Are you alone out here?” Felka furrowed her brow.

Her question was answered when another, much larger dragon stepped out of the underbrush.

dragon?age=1&body=53&bodygene=15&breed=2&element=3&gender=1&tert=9&tertgene=13&winggene=2&wings=37&auth=ec0f5c3212a52c4da62cda994434f61532b9d8a5&dummyext=prev.png

“Makani? Makani, where did you go?” Although her tone was gentle, her powerful voice was like a rumble of thunder. The skydancer, who seemed to be the Makani in question, scampered over to her.

“I was saying hi! Did you see how well I did?” He pulled himself up one of her massive legs and settled between her wings.

“I did, but you shouldn’t get separated from the rest of the group.” She turned her gaze back towards the two ice dragons. “I don’t think I’ve seen either of you before. Who would you be?”

“Lost, actually.” Felka had probably not intended her grin to be quite so feeble. The guardian cut an imposing figure.

“We came from the Southern Icefields,” Sance supplied. “We got caught in a storm, and washed ashore about a day’s walk from here.”

“I see. You are quite a ways from home; this is the Zephyr Steppes.” The guardian considered them for a moment. “The two of you look like a pair of kites that've gone through a hailstorm, poor dears. If you don’t mind waiting until I’ve finished with the day’s lessons, I would be happy to bring you back to the den with us. Our healer can help patch you up, and you can get a proper meal.”

Sance and Felka agreed readily, and followed the guardian back the way she had come.

The bushes opened up into a meadow, with grassy plateaus forming broad, tiered steps. A group of hatchlings were taking running jumps off of these small ledges, pumping their tiny wings as they tried to take to the air. Makani hopped down from his perch and ran to join them.

The guardian settled herself on a waiting blanket that had been spread out in the sun and gestured for them to join her.

“I don’t think I caught your names,” she said, keeping one eye on the hatchlings.

“I’m Felka, and this is Sance.” Felka motioned to each of them in turn. The guardian dipped her head in acknowledgment.

“My name is Kamea. I take charge of caring for the clan’s young ones. I often bring them here to practice taking off and landing.”

“It’s very nice to meet you!” Felka said politely.

A hatchling with a scraped knee called Kamea’s attention away from them. As she tended to the scrape, Felka leaned over to Sance.

“Isn’t she gorgeous?” She whispered.

“Kamea? Yeah, I guess,” he replied. Felka huffed at him.

“You have no taste, Sance.” She gave him a friendly check with her shoulder.

“No, you just have a type!” He laughed as he gave her a shove. The two friends giggled together as they sat back on the warm grass, feeling the sun on their faces and listening to the whoops of the hatchlings as they ran and jumped and tried to take flight.

When the group arrived at the clan’s lair, the light was fading from the sky. A couple tired hatchlings had climbed onto Kamea’s back, rather than finish the walk themselves. The rest surrounded the three older dragons in a gaggle of little legs and wings, periodically running ahead or falling behind as various distractions along their path caught their interest.

A large clearing ringed with tall bushes marked the entrance. Beyond, tunnels cut through the thick greenery, leading to parts of the lair hidden deep within the chaparral. Kamea sent the hatchlings down one of these tunnels, then led Sance and Felka down another. True to her word, she brought them first to the healer, then to get something to eat.

Once they were bandaged up and fed, she showed them where they could sleep that night. Like many other parts of the lair, it was a small opening in the brush. Beyond the branches that bent overhead, Sance could see stars twinkling in the night sky.

“In the morning, we should ask around to see if anyone has any news about shipwrecks on the coast.” Felka yawned. Sance nodded his sleepy agreement.

The two curled up together and let the rustling of the wind in the leaves lull them to sleep.

I was planning on introducing familiars as the dragons earned them in the coli, but Felka and Sance surprised me by finding a Bluelight Chipskink AND an Alpha Webwing during their bout in the Training Fields! I couldn’t figure out a way to gracefully incorporate them into the story, so I just. decided not to... lmao

How do y’all feel about pictures of dragons that aren’t a permanent part of the party being included? I like the visual, but if it’s too disrupting to the reading experience, let me know!

>JUMP TO NEXT ENTRY<

@incendavery
As long as you're having fun, then you're doing it right ;) Congrats on the new fans tho! I'm still after those chipskinks.

By "pics of dragons that are not part of the perma party" do you mean Kamea? I don't mind, as you said I like the visual aid.
@incendavery
As long as you're having fun, then you're doing it right ;) Congrats on the new fans tho! I'm still after those chipskinks.

By "pics of dragons that are not part of the perma party" do you mean Kamea? I don't mind, as you said I like the visual aid.
tB85F7R.png
@InHeritent

Aah, you're right! I can be kind of a perfectionist about stuff, but I should probably loosen up a bit. I'm the master of my own destiny (after Pinkerton, of course), and I can run my story the way I want!

Yes, I meant dragons like Kamea and Makani, who won't be joining the perma party! I'll keep the images where they are, then :D
@InHeritent

Aah, you're right! I can be kind of a perfectionist about stuff, but I should probably loosen up a bit. I'm the master of my own destiny (after Pinkerton, of course), and I can run my story the way I want!

Yes, I meant dragons like Kamea and Makani, who won't be joining the perma party! I'll keep the images where they are, then :D
----- [center][b][size=5]. 3 . [/size][/b][/center] [center][b][size=3]Days 4 and 5[/size][/b][/center] [size=2] ----- Location: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/world-map/region/3]The Zephyr Steppes[/url] Current dragons: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Felka[/url], [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2193240#post_27369838]Sance[/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVhvcPVQxQU]([u]optional ambiance listening[/u])[/url] ----- [center][item=Sugarglider][item=Blackwing Croaker Leg][/center] [center][size=3]Coliseum: 40-50 matches, 40-50 matches[/size][/center] ----- Sance and Felka spent a fortnight in the lair of the wind dragons. It felt so good to rest, and they needed the time to let their wounds mend before they would be fit to travel again. They spent their days assisting Kamea with the hatchlings, accompanying them out to the steppes for their lessons. Makani had taken a particular shine to Sance, who would take the little skydancer in his arms and fly low along the grass, letting him spread his tiny wings and feel the wind beneath them. Felka, when not demonstrating proper flying technique to the hatchlings, would chat while sharing a patch of sun with Kamea. In the evenings, after a meal shared with the clan in the main clearing of the lair, Felka would enlist Sance’s help in reading bedtime stories. Together, the two gave voices to the powerful magi, fearsome warlords, and intrepid adventurers that filled the pages of the hatchlings’ favorite tales. Once all the little ones were sleeping soundly, the two friends would retreat to their own small glade, curling up together beneath the stars that winked down at them from the great, velvet expanse of the heavens. And so, for a short while, their lives passed peacefully from day to day. ----- [size=2] [i]I've done a bit of tweaking to the rules, and I feel a lot more grounded in my direction now! You can check them out if you wish, but I promise there's nothing too interesting; I mostly just added a couple of my own "house rules" and gave a couple others further clarification. I decided that materials will signal a long passage of writing, but that I'll still write a paragraph or two for non-materials, if I'm in the mood! If not, I'll just give a non-story update on how the coli battles are going. So far, Felka and Sance have only just now moved on to the Woodland Path, since there's only two of them. They're doing really well so far! (which is good, because I WILL be heartbroken if either of them die)[/i] ----- [size=2] @InHeritent (Sorry if you got some phantom pings today; I was rearranging and editing some of the previous days' entries!) -----

. 3 .
Days 4 and 5

Sugarglider Blackwing Croaker Leg
Coliseum: 40-50 matches, 40-50 matches

Sance and Felka spent a fortnight in the lair of the wind dragons. It felt so good to rest, and they needed the time to let their wounds mend before they would be fit to travel again.

They spent their days assisting Kamea with the hatchlings, accompanying them out to the steppes for their lessons. Makani had taken a particular shine to Sance, who would take the little skydancer in his arms and fly low along the grass, letting him spread his tiny wings and feel the wind beneath them. Felka, when not demonstrating proper flying technique to the hatchlings, would chat while sharing a patch of sun with Kamea.

In the evenings, after a meal shared with the clan in the main clearing of the lair, Felka would enlist Sance’s help in reading bedtime stories. Together, the two gave voices to the powerful magi, fearsome warlords, and intrepid adventurers that filled the pages of the hatchlings’ favorite tales.

Once all the little ones were sleeping soundly, the two friends would retreat to their own small glade, curling up together beneath the stars that winked down at them from the great, velvet expanse of the heavens.

And so, for a short while, their lives passed peacefully from day to day.

I've done a bit of tweaking to the rules, and I feel a lot more grounded in my direction now! You can check them out if you wish, but I promise there's nothing too interesting; I mostly just added a couple of my own "house rules" and gave a couple others further clarification. I decided that materials will signal a long passage of writing, but that I'll still write a paragraph or two for non-materials, if I'm in the mood! If not, I'll just give a non-story update on how the coli battles are going.

So far, Felka and Sance have only just now moved on to the Woodland Path, since there's only two of them. They're doing really well so far! (which is good, because I WILL be heartbroken if either of them die)

@InHeritent (Sorry if you got some phantom pings today; I was rearranging and editing some of the previous days' entries!)

1 2 3