Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Paths We Wander [Pinkerlocke]
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31
@Petall IDK, I was (mostly) joking :P
@Petall IDK, I was (mostly) joking :P
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
@Leopardmask

Haha my bad. I realized it might be a joke after posting my response but since I had just woken up, it took a little while to clue in.
@Leopardmask

Haha my bad. I realized it might be a joke after posting my response but since I had just woken up, it took a little while to clue in.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[center][b][u]Day 8[/u][/b] [item=Peacock Scorpion] Sentence: Adopt a Dragon Roll: Mirror @CleverDual @Kyrinasha @MysterySandwing @Ezmara @Shanuuk @FlightofStars @Skyeset @Kizzan @Leopardmask [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2090290/4#post_25094047]Previous[/url] _______________________________________________________________________________________[/center] As Vaille began to grow stronger, she spent more and more time outside. The little clan they seemed to have going on was beginning to grow on her, though she still looked forward to the day she could rejoin her real family in the skies. Unfortunately, Viper still had yet to let her fly. As they sun rose higher in the sky, Vaille stretched herself out on the smooth rock in the center of the clearing. She had spent to whole morning doing the exercises that Viper had prescribed her and she was exhausted. Unfortunately, just as she was closing her eyes and slipping into a well earned nap, she was awoken by the shout of an unfamiliar dragon. She opened her eyes to see a mirror hatchling sauntering into the clearing, followed by a peacock scorpion tethered on a leash. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=54&bodygene=5&breed=3&element=7&gender=0&tert=30&tertgene=8&winggene=6&wings=145&auth=e32beac159b93522fb522df13c960910135c0436&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center][center][/center] "Ahem!" He cleared his throat, staring levelly at the three dragons and the serthis that were staring at him in complete shock. "My name is Patrick, son of Torgin, leader of the Clan of Resting Wings. It is my destiny to rule a clan of my own one day, as I am of the finest nobility, and fate has brought me here, so bow down to your new king!" "Well I never!" Viper hissed. "A hatchling king? What will come next? Now listen here, pipsqueak, this 'clan' has no need of a king, and if you have anything different to say, take it up with my lady here." [i]My lady?[/i] Vaille was stunned. [i]He's never called me a lady before.[/i] Then it clicked. This hatchling was obviously some spoiled prince that wandered too far from home. Once he got bored from his game, he would leave them alone. In the meantime, they had to make it appear as if it already had a tight hierarchy, and Vaille was to be at the top. "May I present to you Lady Vaille, our valued leader and friend." Chronos said, immediately catching on and standing between the skydancer and the newcomer. With a bow, that Vaille was certain held deep respect in some culture on Sornieth (though she did not know which), Chronos stepped out of the way, and the mirror approached her. "Well, well, well," Patrick grinned, "It is an honour to meet a fine lady equal in rank to my own. Perhaps someday you would make a fine queen to rule by my side. But in the meantime, may you teach me the customs of your clan so that when I rule over you all I can do well by all my subjects?" "I beg your pardon?" Vaille rose to her feet, towering over the mirror. Did he really say queen? She didn't want to be mates with such an arrogant little tyke. She could feel the feathers along her neck rising up. She could tell he was completely serious in his demands. "Well, it is my destiny to be king. I understand if that day is not today, but I expect by the time I am fully grown and have proven my worth to you you will not disagree that the position is mine. In the meantime, I wish to learn, so, my lady, if you would be so kind as to take me under your wing, I am certain it would not be below your station." Patrick explained. Vaille couldn't believe he said all this with such a straight face! Was he really so delusional..." "What, may I ask, is the name of your... pet?" Viper cut in, eyeing the scorpion dubiously. Vaille knew he had a strong contempt for familiars that allowed themselves the disrespect of being the playthings of dragons, as well as dragons who deemed to treat the creatures as such. She could feel the emotion coming off of him in waves. "This is Brian. He was a parting gift for me from my mother. he eats only the finest of foods, so i hope you are adequately supplied." The mirror explained, giving the scorpion a friendly pat on the head. "Brian?" Chronos cut in. He looked utterly bewildered. "Why not something like William or Rupert or James or Henry-" "Brian is a very regal and noble name." Patrick replied icily. "You insult me." "Oh no, you are right." Chronos quickly responded. Vaille could feel the nervousness flowing from him. "Very royal name. I was just testing you." "I expect no further tests will be needed. I know what I am talking about." The hatchling gave the snapper a curt nod. "Now, can you take me to my quarters? It was been a long journey." "Of course." Viper hissed between gritted teeth. "It would be my pleasure. Come along everyone, we must make sure our [i]guest[/i] is comfortable." Sighing, Vaille got to her feet. She wished she could spend more time outside, but she could not leave Patrick on his own, especially not when she was supposedly the leader of this so-called clan. As she walked back through the tunnel, Proxima fell in step alongside her. Vaille was surprised, as she had not had many conversations with the quiet tundra. "I think you're doing a good job, being leader." She said softly, causing Vaille to turn to her in shock. She had not expected her to say anything. "Th-thank you!" Vaille stammered. "I'm doing my best." "I thought you realized. You're the one holding us all together. Chronos and I would not have stayed as long as we have if it were not for you. You are the natural choice for leader." Vaille did not respond. The tundra's words had taken her by surprise. She had not known she was so insightful. Proxima did not speak again, so the two of them entered the cavern in silence. Was she really the leader of these dragons? Because if she was, she wasn't sure that she was ready. [center]____________________________________________________________________________________[/center] We have a new addition to our pinkerlocke team! I'm really excited about this! He is from a friend's clan. Some fun facts about Patrick that you should know: -He is not actually the son of Torgin, this is just an extreme delusion on his part, especially considering neither Torgin not his mother has spines as a gene. You see, this is what Torgin looks like: [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26351500] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/263516/26351500.png[/img] [/url] And this is what his mom looks like: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28287346] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/282874/28287346.png[/img] [/url] And this is what his dad looks like: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28717947] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/287180/28717947.png[/img] [/url] See the resemblance?[/center] -Brian is actually the name of an Irish king, so Patrick was right about that. When naming Brian, I googled a list of Irish kings, to go with Patrick's name, and I saw one of them had the first name of Brian (some had them as another part of their name) and it was just too good an opportunity to pass up. [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2090290/5#post_25133342]Next[/url][/center]
Day 8
Peacock Scorpion
Sentence: Adopt a Dragon
Roll: Mirror
@CleverDual @Kyrinasha @MysterySandwing @Ezmara @Shanuuk @FlightofStars @Skyeset @Kizzan @Leopardmask

Previous
_______________________________________________________________________________________

As Vaille began to grow stronger, she spent more and more time outside. The little clan they seemed to have going on was beginning to grow on her, though she still looked forward to the day she could rejoin her real family in the skies. Unfortunately, Viper still had yet to let her fly.

As they sun rose higher in the sky, Vaille stretched herself out on the smooth rock in the center of the clearing. She had spent to whole morning doing the exercises that Viper had prescribed her and she was exhausted. Unfortunately, just as she was closing her eyes and slipping into a well earned nap, she was awoken by the shout of an unfamiliar dragon. She opened her eyes to see a mirror hatchling sauntering into the clearing, followed by a peacock scorpion tethered on a leash.

dragon?age=0&body=54&bodygene=5&breed=3&element=7&gender=0&tert=30&tertgene=8&winggene=6&wings=145&auth=e32beac159b93522fb522df13c960910135c0436&dummyext=prev.png

"Ahem!" He cleared his throat, staring levelly at the three dragons and the serthis that were staring at him in complete shock. "My name is Patrick, son of Torgin, leader of the Clan of Resting Wings. It is my destiny to rule a clan of my own one day, as I am of the finest nobility, and fate has brought me here, so bow down to your new king!"

"Well I never!" Viper hissed. "A hatchling king? What will come next? Now listen here, pipsqueak, this 'clan' has no need of a king, and if you have anything different to say, take it up with my lady here."

My lady? Vaille was stunned. He's never called me a lady before. Then it clicked. This hatchling was obviously some spoiled prince that wandered too far from home. Once he got bored from his game, he would leave them alone. In the meantime, they had to make it appear as if it already had a tight hierarchy, and Vaille was to be at the top.

"May I present to you Lady Vaille, our valued leader and friend." Chronos said, immediately catching on and standing between the skydancer and the newcomer. With a bow, that Vaille was certain held deep respect in some culture on Sornieth (though she did not know which), Chronos stepped out of the way, and the mirror approached her.

"Well, well, well," Patrick grinned, "It is an honour to meet a fine lady equal in rank to my own. Perhaps someday you would make a fine queen to rule by my side. But in the meantime, may you teach me the customs of your clan so that when I rule over you all I can do well by all my subjects?"

"I beg your pardon?" Vaille rose to her feet, towering over the mirror. Did he really say queen? She didn't want to be mates with such an arrogant little tyke. She could feel the feathers along her neck rising up. She could tell he was completely serious in his demands.

"Well, it is my destiny to be king. I understand if that day is not today, but I expect by the time I am fully grown and have proven my worth to you you will not disagree that the position is mine. In the meantime, I wish to learn, so, my lady, if you would be so kind as to take me under your wing, I am certain it would not be below your station." Patrick explained. Vaille couldn't believe he said all this with such a straight face! Was he really so delusional..."

"What, may I ask, is the name of your... pet?" Viper cut in, eyeing the scorpion dubiously. Vaille knew he had a strong contempt for familiars that allowed themselves the disrespect of being the playthings of dragons, as well as dragons who deemed to treat the creatures as such. She could feel the emotion coming off of him in waves.

"This is Brian. He was a parting gift for me from my mother. he eats only the finest of foods, so i hope you are adequately supplied." The mirror explained, giving the scorpion a friendly pat on the head.

"Brian?" Chronos cut in. He looked utterly bewildered. "Why not something like William or Rupert or James or Henry-"

"Brian is a very regal and noble name." Patrick replied icily. "You insult me."

"Oh no, you are right." Chronos quickly responded. Vaille could feel the nervousness flowing from him. "Very royal name. I was just testing you."

"I expect no further tests will be needed. I know what I am talking about." The hatchling gave the snapper a curt nod. "Now, can you take me to my quarters? It was been a long journey."

"Of course." Viper hissed between gritted teeth. "It would be my pleasure. Come along everyone, we must make sure our guest is comfortable."

Sighing, Vaille got to her feet. She wished she could spend more time outside, but she could not leave Patrick on his own, especially not when she was supposedly the leader of this so-called clan. As she walked back through the tunnel, Proxima fell in step alongside her. Vaille was surprised, as she had not had many conversations with the quiet tundra.

"I think you're doing a good job, being leader." She said softly, causing Vaille to turn to her in shock. She had not expected her to say anything.

"Th-thank you!" Vaille stammered. "I'm doing my best."

"I thought you realized. You're the one holding us all together. Chronos and I would not have stayed as long as we have if it were not for you. You are the natural choice for leader."

Vaille did not respond. The tundra's words had taken her by surprise. She had not known she was so insightful. Proxima did not speak again, so the two of them entered the cavern in silence. Was she really the leader of these dragons? Because if she was, she wasn't sure that she was ready.
____________________________________________________________________________________

We have a new addition to our pinkerlocke team! I'm really excited about this! He is from a friend's clan.

Some fun facts about Patrick that you should know:

-He is not actually the son of Torgin, this is just an extreme delusion on his part, especially considering neither Torgin not his mother has spines as a gene. You see, this is what Torgin looks like:

26351500.png

And this is what his mom looks like:

28287346.png

And this is what his dad looks like:

28717947.png

See the resemblance?

-Brian is actually the name of an Irish king, so Patrick was right about that. When naming Brian, I googled a list of Irish kings, to go with Patrick's name, and I saw one of them had the first name of Brian (some had them as another part of their name) and it was just too good an opportunity to pass up.

b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[center][b][u]Day 9[/u][/b] [item=Gold Steampunk Scarf] Sentence: Breed or Scroll a Dragon (And I can do neither. This is the 2nd time.) @CleverDual @Kyrinasha @MysterySandwing @Ezmara @Shanuuk @FlightofStars @Skyeset @Kizzan @Leopardmask [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2090290/5#post_25114658]Previous[/url][/center] _______________________________________________________________________________________ Everyone had expected that once Patrick saw the state of the cavern, he would turn tail and leave in search of a better kingdom, but all he did was proclaim that is could use some work and immediately set himself up on a ledge he now deemed "The King's Ledge." Despite how annoying the little hatchling was, Vaille couldn't help but admit that he was warming up on her. He may be delusional and arrogant, but he did seem to be trying his best to learn the "customs" of the clan (not that there were all that many) and he was pulling his own weight around the clan. In fact, unprompted by anyone, he had already tidied a whole corner of the cavern. No one had made much of an attempt to organize the mess of objects that were scattered around the cave, but after seeing Patrick's motivation, everyone began to help out. "Hey Proxima!' Chronos suddenly called from over by the heap of clothes he had been sorting through. Most of it was too tattered or stained to be of any use for more than rags. "Come here! I found you something you might like!" Vaille watched with interest as the tundra approached the snapper. Once she reached him, Chronos picked up a white scarf he had found and wrapped it around her neck. Proxima mumbled something too quiet for Vaille to hear, but she ducked her head, and Vaille could feel a mild embarrassment from her. Smiling to herself, Vaille returned to the pile of junk she was sorting through. Maybe this clan wasn't so bad after all. ____________________________________________________________________________________ I didn't mean for this update to be so late in the day but I sort of got wrapped up on pinterest pinning things for human versions of my dragons and I was enjoying it so much I didn't realize how much time had passed. Tomorrow, I should have it out in the morning, otherwise there likely won't be an update tomorrow. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2090290/5#post_25141497]Next[/url]
Day 9
Gold Steampunk Scarf
Sentence: Breed or Scroll a Dragon (And I can do neither. This is the 2nd time.)
@CleverDual @Kyrinasha @MysterySandwing @Ezmara @Shanuuk @FlightofStars @Skyeset @Kizzan @Leopardmask

Previous
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone had expected that once Patrick saw the state of the cavern, he would turn tail and leave in search of a better kingdom, but all he did was proclaim that is could use some work and immediately set himself up on a ledge he now deemed "The King's Ledge."

Despite how annoying the little hatchling was, Vaille couldn't help but admit that he was warming up on her. He may be delusional and arrogant, but he did seem to be trying his best to learn the "customs" of the clan (not that there were all that many) and he was pulling his own weight around the clan. In fact, unprompted by anyone, he had already tidied a whole corner of the cavern. No one had made much of an attempt to organize the mess of objects that were scattered around the cave, but after seeing Patrick's motivation, everyone began to help out.

"Hey Proxima!' Chronos suddenly called from over by the heap of clothes he had been sorting through. Most of it was too tattered or stained to be of any use for more than rags. "Come here! I found you something you might like!"

Vaille watched with interest as the tundra approached the snapper. Once she reached him, Chronos picked up a white scarf he had found and wrapped it around her neck. Proxima mumbled something too quiet for Vaille to hear, but she ducked her head, and Vaille could feel a mild embarrassment from her. Smiling to herself, Vaille returned to the pile of junk she was sorting through. Maybe this clan wasn't so bad after all.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't mean for this update to be so late in the day but I sort of got wrapped up on pinterest pinning things for human versions of my dragons and I was enjoying it so much I didn't realize how much time had passed. Tomorrow, I should have it out in the morning, otherwise there likely won't be an update tomorrow.

Next
[center][b][u]Day 10[/u][/b] [item=Cottontail Rabbit] Sentence: 40-50 Coli Battles @CleverDual @Kyrinasha @MysterySandwing @Ezmara @Shanuuk @FlightofStars @Skyeset @Kizzan @Leopardmask [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2090290/5#post_25133342]Previous[/url] _______________________________________________________________________________________[/center] Proxima had grown used to the constant whistle of the wind and the sensation of the breeze blowing through her fur. She had to, by this point. By the windswept plateau standards, it was a beautiful day, and Proxima, Chronos and Vaille were taking advantage of this by going hunting. It was Vaille's first time on a hunting trip. After weeks of pleading, Viper had finally agreed to let the skydancer join them outside the confines of the camp. Hunting had grown more difficult, with Patrick in their midst. As much as he wanted to join them to prove himself, he was too young to go hunting, which left the rest of them to gather extra food for him. He was normally pretty happy with the seafood Chronos brought back, but they knew meat was also important to the diet of a mirror. Normally, Viper caught the young prince meat whenever he hunted for food, but he was too busy trying out a new mixture to hunt today. The three of them had already eaten their fill by now, and had gathered enough food to last them the next day or two. All that was left was Patrick's meat. Proxima took in a deep breath through her nose. Out of all of them, she by far had the best sense of smell, and therefore was their best bet at tracking any sort of prey. Suddenly, she caught a whiff of something. Stopping to sniff the air again to be sure, Proxima alerted the others to the animal. "There's a rabbit nearby!" She whispered. "Just over in that clump of bamboo! If we're quiet, we might be able to catch it by surprise!" The others nodded, and began to creep close to the bamboo clump. Suddenly, Vaille, probably spurred by the excitement of the moment and the prospect of making her first real catch, leaped forward and stormed into the patch. Before Chronos or Proxima could stop her, the rabbit shot out on the other side of the bamboo patch. Vaille took off in hot pursuit, leaving the others to chase after her. By the time Proxima caught up to her, both dragons were out of breath, and the slow-moving Chronos was still far behind. "I caught it!' Vaille exclaimed joyfully, staring at the rabbit at her feet. "Oh, Patrick is going to love this! He's probably never had a full rabbit to himself before!" "Nice work!" Proxima nodded. She glanced over her shoulder at Chronos, who was still a ways away. "Oh! Right!" Vaille exclaimed, following her gaze, and picking up the rabbit, the two of them returned to the snapper. Proxima was excited to return to the conversation she had been having with him before she caught scent of the rabbit. He had been explaining his research project to her, and how, as his way to prove his worth to the best history university in lightning, he had gone off in search of a famed mirror warrior who had gone missing after a famous battle. No one had been able to track him, but their apparently had been reports of potential sightings in wind. Apparently most scholars assumed him dead and thought of the sightings as nothing more than hallucinations and wishful thinking. They had just reached Chronos when Proxima had the sudden feeling of being watched. Nervous, she scented the air, and she could suddenly smell a strong fishy scent and a milder vegetative scent accompanying it. Feeling a sense of dread drop to her stomach, she turned around to see and angry looking dryad and a pair of clown chargers. "Did you not see the sign?" The dryad high voice held a snarky tone. "Dragons aren't welcome here. Do you know what we do to dragons that intrude on our territory." "We're terribly sorry for the mistake." Vaille spoke up, dipping her head and displaying herself non-threateningly. "We didn't see the sign. Now, we'll just leave quietly, and we promise we'll leave this area alone from now on." "Lies!" the dryad spat. "It's always the same story with your kind. Now boys, let's teach these three a lesson. I'd say three on three is a fair match, wouldn't you? No one would accuse us of fighting unfairly!" Her beady eyes gleamed. Before anyone could react, one of the chargers slammed into Vaille. Proxima noticed a sort of hunger in his eyes, but chargers didn't eat dragons, did they? Proxima and her friends quickly fell into formation. None of them had had much practice in fighting, except scaring away the occasional Death-Head Stag or Amaranth Moth from a catch. Adrenaline began to course through her veins, and she began to charge her attack. The fight seemed to stretch on forever, and it didn't seem to help that the dryad spent more time healing her companions than actually attacking. They seemed unbeatable. Proxima longed to run away and never return to this section of the plateau, but she knew they would only follow them and continue the fight. Besides, she was pretty sure the chargers were faster than they were and they couldn't leave behind Chronos to face the trio alone. All three were doing badly, but Vaille was doing the worst. For some reason, she seemed to be targeted more than the others, and the attacks left deep gouges around her gembond. To make matters worse, all three of their opponents were still standing, though they could tell they were getting tired too. "Okay, we can do this." Vaille gasped as she tried to encourage her teammates. "Chronos, you have some health potions right? Let's all take those. You and Proxima can go first, I'll hold them off long enough for you to drink them." "If you think we're going to leave you to die, you are much mistaken." Chronos shook his head as he fended off another attack from a charger. He dug into his bag and pulled out a health potion and tossed it to Vaille. As she began to open the stopper to down the golden liquid, Proxima saw the charger prepare to strike again. if the attack hit before she drank the potion, she might not make it. She was already weaker than the rest of them, simply because she was still regaining strength from her illness. Proxima made a move to protect her, but before she could, Chronos knocked her over. The snapper had used an unusual amount of speed to step in front of the skydancer. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Proxima watched as the charger slammed into Chronos. The snapper let out a bellow of pain that seemed to stretch on forever. A higher scream joined the bellow. One leg gave out. Then another. The snapper's face was lying on the ground. He was okay. He had to be okay. He was strong. He was sturdy. Sturdier than the others. Proxima could not look at his bright blue eyes. They were blank. He was just stunned, right? One of his back legs gave out. Proxima watched in horror as the snapper fell onto the grass, his bellow dying out. The scream went on. It was then that Proxima realized that the scream was her own. She lifted her eyes to stare at her opponents. Their eyes gleamed of triumph, and Proxima's heart sank. "That was fun!" The dryad called out. Proxima was barely listening. Her high voice rang through her ears without registering. "We'll give you some time to gather yourselves, and if we ever see you here again, you know what's coming on her." It looked as though her eyes were on Vaille, but Proxima felt too numb to care or wonder what that might mean. She raced over to her friend her best friend and threw herself over his body. Tears were streaming down her cheeks as she tried to find a pulse, or feel the rise and fall of his chest, any sign that he was alive. Vaille dropped her flask and ran over to join Proxima. She lay her tail on the tundra's back. "A pulse. There has to be a pulse." She blubbered. "He's not gone. If I can just find a pulse." "Proxima." Vaille's voice was soft and full of grief, and Proxima felt a hatred at it, burning within her. "No! No! He can't be! He'll be alright! Chronos, if you can hear me, blink once. Please Chronos, for me. Do it for me." "Proxima. He's gone. I can sense it. And he's gone." Her voice was hollow, but still soft. "No! I don't want to- I can't-" Sobs were wracking her body, and suddenly she found the words to say what she wanted to. "I don't want to forget him! I love him! he's my best friend! And in a few months, I'll forget him! I don't want to forget! He can't be gone! I don't want to forget!" "Come one, let's head back to the cavern. We can mourn him there. It's dangerous to stay here for much longer." Vaille ushered her to her feet, and Proxima could hardly see for the tears in her eyes. Shakily, they began to make preparations to move the body. ____________________________________________________________________________________ I have to admit, I cried while I wrote this. I was almost in tears when I lost him too. I feel so much more attached to these pinkerlocke characters than I did my last. As I was writing Proxima's reaction, I was listening to the song Yellow by Coldplay on repeat. That's Chronos' theme song, as well as Proxima's. That might have been the moment that pushed me to tears actually. I really really loved them together, and I was so excited to write their relationship blossoming from a deep friendship to a deep love for each other. Now that's never going to happen. I was going to reveal the theme songs for all my pinkerlocke dragons here, and I think I will still do that, to lighten the mood a little. Vaille's theme song is Daughter by Sleeping at last, and Patrick's is I Just Can't Wait To Be King from the Lion King, with Viper playing the role of Zazu of course. If anyone wants to adopt Chronos, you are welcome to. I'll wait 24 hours before exalting him, so you have until shortly after noon FR time tomorrow to claim him if you want him. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29966768] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/299668/29966768_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2090290/7#post_25171914]Next[/url][/center]
Day 10
Cottontail Rabbit
Sentence: 40-50 Coli Battles

Previous

Proxima had grown used to the constant whistle of the wind and the sensation of the breeze blowing through her fur. She had to, by this point. By the windswept plateau standards, it was a beautiful day, and Proxima, Chronos and Vaille were taking advantage of this by going hunting.

It was Vaille's first time on a hunting trip. After weeks of pleading, Viper had finally agreed to let the skydancer join them outside the confines of the camp. Hunting had grown more difficult, with Patrick in their midst. As much as he wanted to join them to prove himself, he was too young to go hunting, which left the rest of them to gather extra food for him. He was normally pretty happy with the seafood Chronos brought back, but they knew meat was also important to the diet of a mirror. Normally, Viper caught the young prince meat whenever he hunted for food, but he was too busy trying out a new mixture to hunt today.

The three of them had already eaten their fill by now, and had gathered enough food to last them the next day or two. All that was left was Patrick's meat. Proxima took in a deep breath through her nose. Out of all of them, she by far had the best sense of smell, and therefore was their best bet at tracking any sort of prey.

Suddenly, she caught a whiff of something. Stopping to sniff the air again to be sure, Proxima alerted the others to the animal.

"There's a rabbit nearby!" She whispered. "Just over in that clump of bamboo! If we're quiet, we might be able to catch it by surprise!"

The others nodded, and began to creep close to the bamboo clump. Suddenly, Vaille, probably spurred by the excitement of the moment and the prospect of making her first real catch, leaped forward and stormed into the patch. Before Chronos or Proxima could stop her, the rabbit shot out on the other side of the bamboo patch. Vaille took off in hot pursuit, leaving the others to chase after her.

By the time Proxima caught up to her, both dragons were out of breath, and the slow-moving Chronos was still far behind.

"I caught it!' Vaille exclaimed joyfully, staring at the rabbit at her feet. "Oh, Patrick is going to love this! He's probably never had a full rabbit to himself before!"

"Nice work!" Proxima nodded. She glanced over her shoulder at Chronos, who was still a ways away.

"Oh! Right!" Vaille exclaimed, following her gaze, and picking up the rabbit, the two of them returned to the snapper. Proxima was excited to return to the conversation she had been having with him before she caught scent of the rabbit. He had been explaining his research project to her, and how, as his way to prove his worth to the best history university in lightning, he had gone off in search of a famed mirror warrior who had gone missing after a famous battle. No one had been able to track him, but their apparently had been reports of potential sightings in wind. Apparently most scholars assumed him dead and thought of the sightings as nothing more than hallucinations and wishful thinking.

They had just reached Chronos when Proxima had the sudden feeling of being watched. Nervous, she scented the air, and she could suddenly smell a strong fishy scent and a milder vegetative scent accompanying it. Feeling a sense of dread drop to her stomach, she turned around to see and angry looking dryad and a pair of clown chargers.

"Did you not see the sign?" The dryad high voice held a snarky tone. "Dragons aren't welcome here. Do you know what we do to dragons that intrude on our territory."

"We're terribly sorry for the mistake." Vaille spoke up, dipping her head and displaying herself non-threateningly. "We didn't see the sign. Now, we'll just leave quietly, and we promise we'll leave this area alone from now on."

"Lies!" the dryad spat. "It's always the same story with your kind. Now boys, let's teach these three a lesson. I'd say three on three is a fair match, wouldn't you? No one would accuse us of fighting unfairly!" Her beady eyes gleamed.

Before anyone could react, one of the chargers slammed into Vaille. Proxima noticed a sort of hunger in his eyes, but chargers didn't eat dragons, did they?

Proxima and her friends quickly fell into formation. None of them had had much practice in fighting, except scaring away the occasional Death-Head Stag or Amaranth Moth from a catch. Adrenaline began to course through her veins, and she began to charge her attack.

The fight seemed to stretch on forever, and it didn't seem to help that the dryad spent more time healing her companions than actually attacking. They seemed unbeatable. Proxima longed to run away and never return to this section of the plateau, but she knew they would only follow them and continue the fight. Besides, she was pretty sure the chargers were faster than they were and they couldn't leave behind Chronos to face the trio alone.

All three were doing badly, but Vaille was doing the worst. For some reason, she seemed to be targeted more than the others, and the attacks left deep gouges around her gembond. To make matters worse, all three of their opponents were still standing, though they could tell they were getting tired too.

"Okay, we can do this." Vaille gasped as she tried to encourage her teammates. "Chronos, you have some health potions right? Let's all take those. You and Proxima can go first, I'll hold them off long enough for you to drink them."

"If you think we're going to leave you to die, you are much mistaken." Chronos shook his head as he fended off another attack from a charger. He dug into his bag and pulled out a health potion and tossed it to Vaille. As she began to open the stopper to down the golden liquid, Proxima saw the charger prepare to strike again. if the attack hit before she drank the potion, she might not make it. She was already weaker than the rest of them, simply because she was still regaining strength from her illness.

Proxima made a move to protect her, but before she could, Chronos knocked her over. The snapper had used an unusual amount of speed to step in front of the skydancer.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Proxima watched as the charger slammed into Chronos. The snapper let out a bellow of pain that seemed to stretch on forever. A higher scream joined the bellow. One leg gave out. Then another. The snapper's face was lying on the ground. He was okay. He had to be okay. He was strong. He was sturdy. Sturdier than the others. Proxima could not look at his bright blue eyes. They were blank. He was just stunned, right? One of his back legs gave out. Proxima watched in horror as the snapper fell onto the grass, his bellow dying out. The scream went on. It was then that Proxima realized that the scream was her own.

She lifted her eyes to stare at her opponents. Their eyes gleamed of triumph, and Proxima's heart sank.

"That was fun!" The dryad called out. Proxima was barely listening. Her high voice rang through her ears without registering. "We'll give you some time to gather yourselves, and if we ever see you here again, you know what's coming on her." It looked as though her eyes were on Vaille, but Proxima felt too numb to care or wonder what that might mean. She raced over to her friend her best friend and threw herself over his body. Tears were streaming down her cheeks as she tried to find a pulse, or feel the rise and fall of his chest, any sign that he was alive.

Vaille dropped her flask and ran over to join Proxima. She lay her tail on the tundra's back.

"A pulse. There has to be a pulse." She blubbered. "He's not gone. If I can just find a pulse."

"Proxima." Vaille's voice was soft and full of grief, and Proxima felt a hatred at it, burning within her.

"No! No! He can't be! He'll be alright! Chronos, if you can hear me, blink once. Please Chronos, for me. Do it for me."

"Proxima. He's gone. I can sense it. And he's gone." Her voice was hollow, but still soft.

"No! I don't want to- I can't-" Sobs were wracking her body, and suddenly she found the words to say what she wanted to. "I don't want to forget him! I love him! he's my best friend! And in a few months, I'll forget him! I don't want to forget! He can't be gone! I don't want to forget!"

"Come one, let's head back to the cavern. We can mourn him there. It's dangerous to stay here for much longer." Vaille ushered her to her feet, and Proxima could hardly see for the tears in her eyes. Shakily, they began to make preparations to move the body.

I have to admit, I cried while I wrote this. I was almost in tears when I lost him too. I feel so much more attached to these pinkerlocke characters than I did my last.

As I was writing Proxima's reaction, I was listening to the song Yellow by Coldplay on repeat. That's Chronos' theme song, as well as Proxima's. That might have been the moment that pushed me to tears actually. I really really loved them together, and I was so excited to write their relationship blossoming from a deep friendship to a deep love for each other. Now that's never going to happen.

I was going to reveal the theme songs for all my pinkerlocke dragons here, and I think I will still do that, to lighten the mood a little. Vaille's theme song is Daughter by Sleeping at last, and Patrick's is I Just Can't Wait To Be King from the Lion King, with Viper playing the role of Zazu of course.

If anyone wants to adopt Chronos, you are welcome to. I'll wait 24 hours before exalting him, so you have until shortly after noon FR time tomorrow to claim him if you want him.

@Petall DDDD: I just sat down to catch up and oh no!! I can't believe he's dead! I loved his character so much. Poor Proxima. It makes it all the worse that she'll forget him. That's just heart wrenching.

But, I love the appearance of Patrick! He seems like he'll be a fun character to read about. I hope no more dragons die. :( This is so sad.
@Petall DDDD: I just sat down to catch up and oh no!! I can't believe he's dead! I loved his character so much. Poor Proxima. It makes it all the worse that she'll forget him. That's just heart wrenching.

But, I love the appearance of Patrick! He seems like he'll be a fun character to read about. I hope no more dragons die. :( This is so sad.
9a7022265cce6e6517f86509db3f1669ab24b257.png Left: Sales thread. Right: Egg a day challenge. 9a7022265cce6e6517f86509db3f1669ab24b257.png
@Kizzan

I know... I was not expecting anyone to die today, I thought I had more time to heal them all! Honestly though, Chronos is the first dragon death I've cried about. And yeah, that's one of the tragedies of tundras and their memory skills. I suddenly remembered it halfway through writing this update, and I couldn't help myself.

Patrick is so much fun to write! I'm glad you like him!!!!

And I really hope no other characters die too... I don't know if I'd be able to handle losing anymore of these dragons that I've grown to love.
@Kizzan

I know... I was not expecting anyone to die today, I thought I had more time to heal them all! Honestly though, Chronos is the first dragon death I've cried about. And yeah, that's one of the tragedies of tundras and their memory skills. I suddenly remembered it halfway through writing this update, and I couldn't help myself.

Patrick is so much fun to write! I'm glad you like him!!!!

And I really hope no other characters die too... I don't know if I'd be able to handle losing anymore of these dragons that I've grown to love.
@Petall

Oh not Chronos :(. I was so enjoying his character I am going to miss him.
@Petall

Oh not Chronos :(. I was so enjoying his character I am going to miss him.
@Petall Can I take him???
@Petall Can I take him???
@Shanuuk

I'm going to miss him too...

@CleverDual

Yeah, for sure! I'd love for him to find a home in your clan! I'll send him over!
@Shanuuk

I'm going to miss him too...

@CleverDual

Yeah, for sure! I'd love for him to find a home in your clan! I'll send him over!
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31