Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Common Draconic [A Conlang Project]
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
@pantir
@pantir
This is so cool! I'm too tired to read much right now, but I'm definitely coming back to take a better look.
This is so cool! I'm too tired to read much right now, but I'm definitely coming back to take a better look.
tumblr_inline_n6kduh3u891qlye38.gif

Alex | Any pronouns
Wow, this is amazing! As someone who likes languages and hopes to create one eventually, it made me happy to see this here!
Wow, this is amazing! As someone who likes languages and hopes to create one eventually, it made me happy to see this here!
19264.png19264.png19264.png
Man, I do think this is interesting, but there are some word constructions in the dictionary that are overly literal direct translations of English constructions? Some of them more so than others. I understand that this language is supposed to be easily usable by English speakers, but it throws me out to see things that look particularly unnatural copies of English. Especially if other constructions are totally unalike their English counterparts.

For example, the direct translation you've given for the word for "almighty" is just "all mighty" but like ... does that mean that there's a word "mighty" as well as a word "powerful"? That's fine if so, but it seems weird that they'd use the exact same construction as us. It's especially jarring in particularly idiomatic English examples, like "clueless"? That's a hard word to translate, but it's an idiom, so I don't know if it should have any direct translation. It needs to be taken back to its basic meaning of "no understanding" or "no knowledge" at least.

Also remember that English has absorbed bits of a lot of other languages over its history and has a lot of words that mean similar things but have different origins. I'd use "mighty" and powerful" as examples, but they both look pretty Germanic in origin to me so eh.

Also it doesn't help that some English words (or words in any language) mean two things. Like "backwards" can mean "towards the back" or "around the wrong way". It's worse when they're just homonyms, not one as an idiomatic reading of the other. Bank for example? A bank can mean a storage place (particularly for money), or the edge of a body of water, or turning in flight. These are three separate things, and only have the same name in English by chance.

Also, why are you changing the place names? There's no reason to do that, especially given that they're pretty poetic as-is. I mean, I don't see why "The Abiding Boneyard" can't have a translation to do with bones and staying there forever? And changing the gods' names too? It just seems odd.

I dunno, sorry for the blah-blah, I understand that your wordlist is a work in progress. These things just jumped out at me ages ago when I first read this thread, and I finally worked up the energy to point it out.
Man, I do think this is interesting, but there are some word constructions in the dictionary that are overly literal direct translations of English constructions? Some of them more so than others. I understand that this language is supposed to be easily usable by English speakers, but it throws me out to see things that look particularly unnatural copies of English. Especially if other constructions are totally unalike their English counterparts.

For example, the direct translation you've given for the word for "almighty" is just "all mighty" but like ... does that mean that there's a word "mighty" as well as a word "powerful"? That's fine if so, but it seems weird that they'd use the exact same construction as us. It's especially jarring in particularly idiomatic English examples, like "clueless"? That's a hard word to translate, but it's an idiom, so I don't know if it should have any direct translation. It needs to be taken back to its basic meaning of "no understanding" or "no knowledge" at least.

Also remember that English has absorbed bits of a lot of other languages over its history and has a lot of words that mean similar things but have different origins. I'd use "mighty" and powerful" as examples, but they both look pretty Germanic in origin to me so eh.

Also it doesn't help that some English words (or words in any language) mean two things. Like "backwards" can mean "towards the back" or "around the wrong way". It's worse when they're just homonyms, not one as an idiomatic reading of the other. Bank for example? A bank can mean a storage place (particularly for money), or the edge of a body of water, or turning in flight. These are three separate things, and only have the same name in English by chance.

Also, why are you changing the place names? There's no reason to do that, especially given that they're pretty poetic as-is. I mean, I don't see why "The Abiding Boneyard" can't have a translation to do with bones and staying there forever? And changing the gods' names too? It just seems odd.

I dunno, sorry for the blah-blah, I understand that your wordlist is a work in progress. These things just jumped out at me ages ago when I first read this thread, and I finally worked up the energy to point it out.
Professional Grump

I live for memes
This is really cool!
This is really cool!
npc_scribbles_by_dogi_crimson-daevs0a.gif
Added myself to the pinglist; bookmarked this page.

This is amazing and wonderful and I can't wait to dig into it!

Thank you so much for all your work.
Added myself to the pinglist; bookmarked this page.

This is amazing and wonderful and I can't wait to dig into it!

Thank you so much for all your work.
MlmX2Dr.pngfrqaMSP.gifIYKLZV7.gif
Awww man. I've been getting into conlangs lately, and this is FABULOUS!
Awww man. I've been getting into conlangs lately, and this is FABULOUS!
60eldD0.gif
I occasionally don't get pings because of misspellings. My username is SLP (lowercase), three zeroes, and a one. You can copy and paste it if you're not sure you have it right.
If you want to talk about something troubling you, my PM box is open to everyone! Feel free to reach out whenever, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I'll keep what you say a secret, if you want. It's my pleasure to help out everyone I can!
xKBtilj.gif
I was reading this...and I think that someone should find new users and help them learn the language for 1-3 weeks...as like a class or something
I was reading this...and I think that someone should find new users and help them learn the language for 1-3 weeks...as like a class or something
Click the link below to help my dragons hatch and grow!
Click the link below to help my pokemon!
@Llanai
PLEASE for the love of the eleven add me to the pinglist
@Llanai
PLEASE for the love of the eleven add me to the pinglist
tumblr_n7samaE1iy1sl6hkto1_500.gif
This is an amazing project and I can't believe I've never seen it before! I'll try to learn Ursegal and write some poetry in it.
This is an amazing project and I can't believe I've never seen it before! I'll try to learn Ursegal and write some poetry in it.
ZVpCPil.png
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39