Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Bandanas and Skin Contest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The constellation one....
creativity lvl over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG, have to buy red gecko and maroon swirl skins NAO ;-;
The constellation one....
creativity lvl over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG, have to buy red gecko and maroon swirl skins NAO ;-;
The bandanas are lookin AWESOME
and the SKINS ARE SUPER AWESOME
AWWWW DIIGTY
The bandanas are lookin AWESOME
and the SKINS ARE SUPER AWESOME
AWWWW DIIGTY
tumblr_inline_nfy1rclt8I1qblnye.giftumblr_inline_nfy1rclt8I1qblnye.giftumblr_inline_nfy1rclt8I1qblnye.gif
I gotta say this thread has been the most baffling thing to me. Mostly because the vast majority of players don't seem upset that a skin they particularly like is retiring, but that a skin will be rare at all.

Guys, these skins are some of the shabbiest skins in the game. They look like they were made up at the last minute so there'd be SOMETHING in the skin store. They're probably being retired so that they have any value at all. Like, seriously, no one cared about these skins until the moment it was announced they'd be rare.

I'd feel really differently if skins were remotely related to core gameplay (breeding and selling dragons). But really, they aren't. They're 100% an unnecessary item to 'doing well' in the game. The virtual equivalent of a 'luxury good'. As long as the core gameplay (Breeding, all breeds, all genes, all colors) is available to all players (given enough work put in) I really don't mind in the least if they retire some of the bells and whistles.

(Also, that one dude condemning resellers? What? Okay. In as much as collecting is a peripheral part of the game? Playing the economy is a much LESS peripheral part of the game. Also as for it being 'sketchy'? In the real world there are sketchy economic practices because of the implications of poverty (ie. no money, no food). In a game certain economic practices like reselling (what's effectively scalping) have much less dire consequences making them much less 'sketchy'. I personally feel that unacceptable and 'sketchy' economic practices among players in a game are pretty much limited to things that require deception and trickery. )

I've campaigned for making the economy more welcoming to newbies since I joined. I've talked about the wealth gaps and how much this site favors players with a lot of advantages like a ton of time on their hands. But this thread has just left me squinting at my computer. If this impacted the core gameplay at all -- or if FR was primarily a collecting game I'd feel way differently as I said before... but it's not. FR is a breeding game with some peripheral collecting elements. I'm not going to tell anyone to quit (I want you all here to swap dargonz with!) but, seriously, if you want a game with better collecting elements there are totally better collecting games out there that you'd probably have more fun with.

(Also, pay to win? What do you 'win' if you somehow collect all the skins? Is there an achievement for that? Do you get some cool exclusive item? I... think pretty much the only thing you 'win' is the warm fuzzy feeling of having a hoard full of skins).
I gotta say this thread has been the most baffling thing to me. Mostly because the vast majority of players don't seem upset that a skin they particularly like is retiring, but that a skin will be rare at all.

Guys, these skins are some of the shabbiest skins in the game. They look like they were made up at the last minute so there'd be SOMETHING in the skin store. They're probably being retired so that they have any value at all. Like, seriously, no one cared about these skins until the moment it was announced they'd be rare.

I'd feel really differently if skins were remotely related to core gameplay (breeding and selling dragons). But really, they aren't. They're 100% an unnecessary item to 'doing well' in the game. The virtual equivalent of a 'luxury good'. As long as the core gameplay (Breeding, all breeds, all genes, all colors) is available to all players (given enough work put in) I really don't mind in the least if they retire some of the bells and whistles.

(Also, that one dude condemning resellers? What? Okay. In as much as collecting is a peripheral part of the game? Playing the economy is a much LESS peripheral part of the game. Also as for it being 'sketchy'? In the real world there are sketchy economic practices because of the implications of poverty (ie. no money, no food). In a game certain economic practices like reselling (what's effectively scalping) have much less dire consequences making them much less 'sketchy'. I personally feel that unacceptable and 'sketchy' economic practices among players in a game are pretty much limited to things that require deception and trickery. )

I've campaigned for making the economy more welcoming to newbies since I joined. I've talked about the wealth gaps and how much this site favors players with a lot of advantages like a ton of time on their hands. But this thread has just left me squinting at my computer. If this impacted the core gameplay at all -- or if FR was primarily a collecting game I'd feel way differently as I said before... but it's not. FR is a breeding game with some peripheral collecting elements. I'm not going to tell anyone to quit (I want you all here to swap dargonz with!) but, seriously, if you want a game with better collecting elements there are totally better collecting games out there that you'd probably have more fun with.

(Also, pay to win? What do you 'win' if you somehow collect all the skins? Is there an achievement for that? Do you get some cool exclusive item? I... think pretty much the only thing you 'win' is the warm fuzzy feeling of having a hoard full of skins).
I'm just going to sit here and clap @Microraptor for being awesome.
I'm just going to sit here and clap @Microraptor for being awesome.
I'm glad to see some of the skins retiring. It gave me the kick in the pants to actually go buy a couple that I've been admiring for a while. That said I think the 'random skin item' is a fun concept for those people who are die-hard skin collectors (I really just collect the festival skins myself) and it doesn't really hurt anyone to have one.

If people are really upset that they'll never get a skin named 'Glitter Vomit' then perhaps that painless addition could give them some hope and quell their rage?

Also I'm loving a couple of the new skins, the constellation one reminds me of the constellation cloud serpent mounts on WoW (still trying to get one, at least I can have an imp here that looks like it right?) and Jade Statue just...glossy. I'd own a statue like that if one existed.
I'm glad to see some of the skins retiring. It gave me the kick in the pants to actually go buy a couple that I've been admiring for a while. That said I think the 'random skin item' is a fun concept for those people who are die-hard skin collectors (I really just collect the festival skins myself) and it doesn't really hurt anyone to have one.

If people are really upset that they'll never get a skin named 'Glitter Vomit' then perhaps that painless addition could give them some hope and quell their rage?

Also I'm loving a couple of the new skins, the constellation one reminds me of the constellation cloud serpent mounts on WoW (still trying to get one, at least I can have an imp here that looks like it right?) and Jade Statue just...glossy. I'd own a statue like that if one existed.
2q035vp.jpg
@Microraptor - Yes. This.

These skins have been in the shop for quite some time now. They've given us AMPLE warning to get them before they retire. Maybe you can't get them all, but does it really matter in the long run?
@Microraptor - Yes. This.

These skins have been in the shop for quite some time now. They've given us AMPLE warning to get them before they retire. Maybe you can't get them all, but does it really matter in the long run?
@Microraptor

You're pretty much my favourite person right now. Well said. Nobody cared about the things prior to the retirement announcement, if owning them was that much of priority, I should hope they'd have them by now.
@Microraptor

You're pretty much my favourite person right now. Well said. Nobody cared about the things prior to the retirement announcement, if owning them was that much of priority, I should hope they'd have them by now.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
[quote name="Microraptor" date="2013-09-10 11:49:58"]I gotta say this thread has been the most baffling thing to me. Mostly because the vast majority of players don't seem upset that a skin they particularly [i]like[/i] is retiring, but that a skin will be rare at all.[/quote] I agree with everything said in your post. I also think that skins should be retired over time to retain value.
Microraptor wrote on 2013-09-10 11:49:58:

I agree with everything said in your post. I also think that skins should be retired over time to retain value.
@Microraptor: I wish there was a like button, I'd press it so hard.
I mean really, they are skins. I don't really have that much of an interest in them, and besides. You need some things to have a high value in any kind of user run marketplace, just so you can give a player a goal. These skins, being skins that don't effect gameplay in a meaningful way, will be something people will quest for when they have nothing else they really want to buy. Because there will people who will reach that point.
@Microraptor: I wish there was a like button, I'd press it so hard.
I mean really, they are skins. I don't really have that much of an interest in them, and besides. You need some things to have a high value in any kind of user run marketplace, just so you can give a player a goal. These skins, being skins that don't effect gameplay in a meaningful way, will be something people will quest for when they have nothing else they really want to buy. Because there will people who will reach that point.
76zQJWq.gifCrlR6L8.gifhErEUVG.gif
LJPlSgH.gifDm3uPgR.gifdXi5w0B.gif
Darn, am I the only one who read 'bandana' as 'banana' at first glance? XD
Those are pretty cool, though!
Darn, am I the only one who read 'bandana' as 'banana' at first glance? XD
Those are pretty cool, though!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8