Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Flight Rising Community
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 18
[quote name="Skulldog" date="2013-07-19 14:13:17" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=2&id=609580#609995"]I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I am thrilled with how the rest of staff handled this, and the outcome last night of Tharge stepping down on his own accord. The donations were a shining example of going above and beyond, you guys rock. I am however a little upset that he will still be working on the site and in turn getting money from it. I'd like to get more clear answers on how this is going to happen, and such. [b]Ideally I'd rather see FR get Tharge to simply make the back end usable for a new JavaScript coder to take over and call it a day.[/b] I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he'll take some time to educate himself, and maybe alter the more harmful opinions he's stated, but I think the majority of the user base isn't ready for him to be back just yet. Maybe when he can prove he's going to act more maturely in regards to demographics that use this site. [/quote] This. Especially the bolded part.
I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, I am thrilled with how the rest of staff handled this, and the outcome last night of Tharge stepping down on his own accord. The donations were a shining example of going above and beyond, you guys rock.

I am however a little upset that he will still be working on the site and in turn getting money from it. I'd like to get more clear answers on how this is going to happen, and such. Ideally I'd rather see FR get Tharge to simply make the back end usable for a new JavaScript coder to take over and call it a day.

I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he'll take some time to educate himself, and maybe alter the more harmful opinions he's stated, but I think the majority of the user base isn't ready for him to be back just yet. Maybe when he can prove he's going to act more maturely in regards to demographics that use this site.

This. Especially the bolded part.
I don't know how to take his apology considering he apologized to me about the games causing a seizure while making fun of me on his Facebook.
I don't know how to take his apology considering he apologized to me about the games causing a seizure while making fun of me on his Facebook.
MuwAAse.png
Adblocker will be used and no gems will be bought until I am sure that the money generated by my activity is not being used to put food on Thrage's table.

Still gonna enjoy the game in the meantime, though! Sorry the rest of the administration has to deal with this.

PS- I heard that Thrage sabotaged the games on purpose to blackmail you into letting him back on? Is that actually true or just rumor? It sounded kinda farfetched but they did go down right after he left, so I'm not sure what to think.
Adblocker will be used and no gems will be bought until I am sure that the money generated by my activity is not being used to put food on Thrage's table.

Still gonna enjoy the game in the meantime, though! Sorry the rest of the administration has to deal with this.

PS- I heard that Thrage sabotaged the games on purpose to blackmail you into letting him back on? Is that actually true or just rumor? It sounded kinda farfetched but they did go down right after he left, so I'm not sure what to think.
2u8j5dz.jpg
There is nothing wrong with personal preference and having an opinion. But some of the stuff he said did cross a line and was pretty offensive.
I think everyone is handling this pretty decently and while I'm sad to see him go I'm glad that donations were made he is taking steps on educating himself on these issues.

Life is a learning experience and the best thing to do when you make a mistake is own up to it, apologize, fix what you can, and move on.
Everyone on Earth has said something gross or offensive before, especially if you're uneducated on the subject.

I'm glad to see everyone is handling this maturely.

I'm LGBT and this doesn't make me want to leave, it makes me want to stay even more.
This is so much better than a "get over it" message.

Thanks everyone.
There is nothing wrong with personal preference and having an opinion. But some of the stuff he said did cross a line and was pretty offensive.
I think everyone is handling this pretty decently and while I'm sad to see him go I'm glad that donations were made he is taking steps on educating himself on these issues.

Life is a learning experience and the best thing to do when you make a mistake is own up to it, apologize, fix what you can, and move on.
Everyone on Earth has said something gross or offensive before, especially if you're uneducated on the subject.

I'm glad to see everyone is handling this maturely.

I'm LGBT and this doesn't make me want to leave, it makes me want to stay even more.
This is so much better than a "get over it" message.

Thanks everyone.
I appreciate the honesty from the admin team on both his leave of absence and his eventual return to the back-end coding of the site. While I have many thoughts on how Thrage could use this to better himself as a person through taking awareness courses and educating himself about presenting his opinions in a less garish manner, they are thoughts that I will take to him personally.

My participation in Flight Rising may or may not continue as a result of the decision to contravene his own statements (based on statements made in this thread; note that I have not verified them in details) and allow him to work on the code. It is my opinion on a corporate level that a priority should be made to implement a succession protocol to allow a replacement coder to take over these duties so that Flight Rising does not have to sustain the potential brand damage of retaining him as an employee.

I agree with many statements that removing a key coder from the site in its infancy would likely spell death for it, which is why I have not made my final decision as of yet. I will state that I am likely to remain with the site and hope that a portion of future revenues will continue to go towards the charities to which donation have already been made. If this does not happen, then I will consider making donations to LGBT-friendly and/or epilepsy-awareness charities instead with the funds that I would have otherwise used to purchase gems.

At the core of my message, however, is appreciation for the honesty. That puts the correct information into the hands of the users and allows them to make the decision to stay or leave. Thank you for showing us the respect needed to present this information to the masses, as it were.
I appreciate the honesty from the admin team on both his leave of absence and his eventual return to the back-end coding of the site. While I have many thoughts on how Thrage could use this to better himself as a person through taking awareness courses and educating himself about presenting his opinions in a less garish manner, they are thoughts that I will take to him personally.

My participation in Flight Rising may or may not continue as a result of the decision to contravene his own statements (based on statements made in this thread; note that I have not verified them in details) and allow him to work on the code. It is my opinion on a corporate level that a priority should be made to implement a succession protocol to allow a replacement coder to take over these duties so that Flight Rising does not have to sustain the potential brand damage of retaining him as an employee.

I agree with many statements that removing a key coder from the site in its infancy would likely spell death for it, which is why I have not made my final decision as of yet. I will state that I am likely to remain with the site and hope that a portion of future revenues will continue to go towards the charities to which donation have already been made. If this does not happen, then I will consider making donations to LGBT-friendly and/or epilepsy-awareness charities instead with the funds that I would have otherwise used to purchase gems.

At the core of my message, however, is appreciation for the honesty. That puts the correct information into the hands of the users and allows them to make the decision to stay or leave. Thank you for showing us the respect needed to present this information to the masses, as it were.
L I G H T | To drive away the darkness.
@chernobyl
i agree with you so much it was his offsite facebook page and he should feel free to say whatever he wants, even if it was provocative there is something called the BLOCK BUTTON which is what i, personally, would have done. i didn't know so many people had the maturity of a four year old. how can you think your stupid feelings are more important than a man's job, living, and passion... OMG boo hoo your feelings are hurt? well nope, you all didn't think making a public mockery of thrage was enough, nope nope you had to get him fired just to feel victorious. congrats, what an accomplishment to ruin someone's life
@chernobyl
i agree with you so much it was his offsite facebook page and he should feel free to say whatever he wants, even if it was provocative there is something called the BLOCK BUTTON which is what i, personally, would have done. i didn't know so many people had the maturity of a four year old. how can you think your stupid feelings are more important than a man's job, living, and passion... OMG boo hoo your feelings are hurt? well nope, you all didn't think making a public mockery of thrage was enough, nope nope you had to get him fired just to feel victorious. congrats, what an accomplishment to ruin someone's life
piggyumb_zpsbe55c07c.png
at everyone making strawman arguments about people "screaming for bloody revenge"-- having someone removed from a company for a reason that would get you fired from literally any other company is not "bloody revenge", and trying to make the people who were hurt by this seem like frothing-at-the-mouth morons just solidifies the fact that you really, really don't know what you're talking about and haven't read the threads at all.

And @eliskor , FR seems to be one of the very few sites that are accepting of transfolk on such a level. Considering that there are hundreds of thousands of websites that agree with Thrage and people like him, wouldn't it make more sense for you to leave?
at everyone making strawman arguments about people "screaming for bloody revenge"-- having someone removed from a company for a reason that would get you fired from literally any other company is not "bloody revenge", and trying to make the people who were hurt by this seem like frothing-at-the-mouth morons just solidifies the fact that you really, really don't know what you're talking about and haven't read the threads at all.

And @eliskor , FR seems to be one of the very few sites that are accepting of transfolk on such a level. Considering that there are hundreds of thousands of websites that agree with Thrage and people like him, wouldn't it make more sense for you to leave?
[quote name="eliskan" date="2013-07-19 14:19:34" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=3&id=609580#610089"]You are really demonizing him for saying ONE thing on a website, six months ago, that he very clearly regrets saying. You are demonizing the staff and making everyone appear 'insensitive' to your views.[/quote] Except it wasn't just one thing. He said multiple things on the transgendered issue that were offensive and then he made a joke about someone having a seizure from shock switch. :T and yeah he probably regrets it NOW. It didn't seem like he did when he first said it.
You are really demonizing him for saying ONE thing on a website, six months ago, that he very clearly regrets saying. You are demonizing the staff and making everyone appear 'insensitive' to your views.

Except it wasn't just one thing. He said multiple things on the transgendered issue that were offensive and then he made a joke about someone having a seizure from shock switch. :T

and yeah he probably regrets it NOW. It didn't seem like he did when he first said it.
k6RElVn.png NN9NPXA.png
rI18gRz.png
nv4LFb6.png
PRICTGJ.png
k7mTvIf.png

lFr0Ane.png
@Gucumatz i completely agree with you.

you people have GOT to remember Thrage isn't the ONLY one that will be effected by adblockage, gem sale drops and people who leave, so will the other mods. and not just them, but ALL OF US as well. if they can't pay to keep up this site, we will lose Flight Rising. so, in my opinion, if you're not going to buy gems and are going to adblock this site just because of Thrage, then just leave because obviously, you really couldn't care less about this site.

he's apologized, he has stepped down, he's probably not going to be active anymore except to code. it's over, IT'S DONE! now DROP IT, please. you cannot fight hate with hate because all you'll end up with is a world full of needless bloodshed and useless fighting. be the mature adults you claim to be and let it go, i beg you.
@Gucumatz i completely agree with you.

you people have GOT to remember Thrage isn't the ONLY one that will be effected by adblockage, gem sale drops and people who leave, so will the other mods. and not just them, but ALL OF US as well. if they can't pay to keep up this site, we will lose Flight Rising. so, in my opinion, if you're not going to buy gems and are going to adblock this site just because of Thrage, then just leave because obviously, you really couldn't care less about this site.

he's apologized, he has stepped down, he's probably not going to be active anymore except to code. it's over, IT'S DONE! now DROP IT, please. you cannot fight hate with hate because all you'll end up with is a world full of needless bloodshed and useless fighting. be the mature adults you claim to be and let it go, i beg you.
I can see the reason behind this decision even though it disappoints me. However, I am glad to hear that he won't have any say/representation for the company. Also guys can you not make this into another mudfling? It's one thing to be upset about someone's comments/opinions, but down right attacking them isn't making the situation better. We already said what we had to say in the last thread. No reason to start it in this thread. Just email him personally and tell him how you feel.
I can see the reason behind this decision even though it disappoints me. However, I am glad to hear that he won't have any say/representation for the company. Also guys can you not make this into another mudfling? It's one thing to be upset about someone's comments/opinions, but down right attacking them isn't making the situation better. We already said what we had to say in the last thread. No reason to start it in this thread. Just email him personally and tell him how you feel.
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 18