Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | any ds games/rom recommendations?
1 2 3 4 5
@LouckyKoneko oo i definitely heard cool stuff about it (plus the visuals!!! ouu i love the style, reminds me of ghost trick in a way (which ive been also wanting to try too lawl) :0 seems rlly sick tho (and the designs ?? yo???)
@LouckyKoneko oo i definitely heard cool stuff about it (plus the visuals!!! ouu i love the style, reminds me of ghost trick in a way (which ive been also wanting to try too lawl) :0 seems rlly sick tho (and the designs ?? yo???)
lBDgT.gif
i got a lil guy !! :3c
@luckydragonwolf BCJDJ i remember watching a video about it and thinking it was silly but honestly i'd love to play it- it got some banger dinosaur designs and i love me some good designs >:] (and seems rlly intriguing !!)
@luckydragonwolf BCJDJ i remember watching a video about it and thinking it was silly but honestly i'd love to play it- it got some banger dinosaur designs and i love me some good designs >:] (and seems rlly intriguing !!)
lBDgT.gif
aee i can't really reply to all of these at once -_-; but i absolutely love these recommendations and tyty sm for sharing em btw !!! ^_^
aee i can't really reply to all of these at once -_-; but i absolutely love these recommendations and tyty sm for sharing em btw !!! ^_^
lBDgT.gif
Pokemon Rangers (the og one) is good! I kinda semi-speedran it for the manaphy egg on my younger brother's copy and despite my finger being angry due to my lack of a stylus I enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't have much replay value, so suggest you don't try replaying it right after the first playthrough.

I haven't played the others yet though, I need to. My SO has physical copies so I may dump them so I don't need to pester him to borrow them constantly.

I also suggest the Pokemon Crystal Clear romhack if you want an open world feel in a classic pokemon game. It's only gens 1 and 2 pokemon, but there's soooo much stuff you can do, including a new shiny hunting method! There's a ton of replay value too, since you can battle all the gyms in absolutely any order, play through with pretty much whatever team you could ever want in gen 2 (including the ability to make pretty much whatever starter you want), and there's even a nuzlocke mode! It is more challenging than the original Crystal but reasonably so coming from a veteran casual player who prefers shiny hunting over the competitive scene.

I can help walk you through getting that on your 3Ds if you'd like since it's a smidge more complicated than running a DS rom through twilight menu.

If there's any physical copies of games you've been wanting to replay but also don't want to delete saves from, I highly recommend using Checkpoint to back up old saves (and maybe just doing that in general for sentimental save files so you don't lose em). If you followed the 3ds dot hacks guide it was one of the various homebrew apps that you added when finishing up.

There are some neat custom themes you can find and add using Anemone. You can even make your own as someone else mentioned here earlier! Personally I'm using a dark blue and red theme I made myself because I couldn't decide on what else to do.

Congrats on your first steps into the world of 3Ds softmodding and homebrew!

Edit to add more about CC and also say I'm subbing to the thread so I can see some recomendations too.
Pokemon Rangers (the og one) is good! I kinda semi-speedran it for the manaphy egg on my younger brother's copy and despite my finger being angry due to my lack of a stylus I enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't have much replay value, so suggest you don't try replaying it right after the first playthrough.

I haven't played the others yet though, I need to. My SO has physical copies so I may dump them so I don't need to pester him to borrow them constantly.

I also suggest the Pokemon Crystal Clear romhack if you want an open world feel in a classic pokemon game. It's only gens 1 and 2 pokemon, but there's soooo much stuff you can do, including a new shiny hunting method! There's a ton of replay value too, since you can battle all the gyms in absolutely any order, play through with pretty much whatever team you could ever want in gen 2 (including the ability to make pretty much whatever starter you want), and there's even a nuzlocke mode! It is more challenging than the original Crystal but reasonably so coming from a veteran casual player who prefers shiny hunting over the competitive scene.

I can help walk you through getting that on your 3Ds if you'd like since it's a smidge more complicated than running a DS rom through twilight menu.

If there's any physical copies of games you've been wanting to replay but also don't want to delete saves from, I highly recommend using Checkpoint to back up old saves (and maybe just doing that in general for sentimental save files so you don't lose em). If you followed the 3ds dot hacks guide it was one of the various homebrew apps that you added when finishing up.

There are some neat custom themes you can find and add using Anemone. You can even make your own as someone else mentioned here earlier! Personally I'm using a dark blue and red theme I made myself because I couldn't decide on what else to do.

Congrats on your first steps into the world of 3Ds softmodding and homebrew!

Edit to add more about CC and also say I'm subbing to the thread so I can see some recomendations too.
PiAyg8i.png

A small flight banner, halve being fire and halve being wind.

Silver_Square.png
^ Fandragon ^
Hopping in cuz I was indirectly mentioned~ (I am ZoranaDragon's SO)

I would full on recommend Platinum, Explorers of Sky, Shadows of Almia, Conquest and HeartGold/SoulSilver of the pokemon franchise! All have very nicely paced stories with fun gameplay loops.
However, I will warn you that if you play Sky/Darkness/Time you will cry near the end of the main campaign.

Outside of those. I would recommend Digimon World Championship and Monster Rancher DS if you like raising little digital creatures
I recommend getting a guide for DWC though, as otherwise you won't know what your Digimon will turn into, but if you don't mind the surprise of it then don't mind me!

The last game I recommend is Fire Emblem Awakening! It has a nice story with very fun characters ^^
Hopping in cuz I was indirectly mentioned~ (I am ZoranaDragon's SO)

I would full on recommend Platinum, Explorers of Sky, Shadows of Almia, Conquest and HeartGold/SoulSilver of the pokemon franchise! All have very nicely paced stories with fun gameplay loops.
However, I will warn you that if you play Sky/Darkness/Time you will cry near the end of the main campaign.

Outside of those. I would recommend Digimon World Championship and Monster Rancher DS if you like raising little digital creatures
I recommend getting a guide for DWC though, as otherwise you won't know what your Digimon will turn into, but if you don't mind the surprise of it then don't mind me!

The last game I recommend is Fire Emblem Awakening! It has a nice story with very fun characters ^^
AtXvu0n.gif.......
ShadowsDistoredSig.gif
dIMtL1H.png
5D3jyFy.png
z3FSuck.png
DxCICZ1.png
FObX7rS.png
Signature_button.png
........hvU8L4w.png
Spore creatures is always a fun play!
I think its a cute game with a decent playtime and some fun character creation!

And I always have to recommend Drawn To Life, but especially the second one. Its an easy game for a younger demographic, but I think the story makes up for it.

Cooking mama for those short play sessions.

And Brain Age just to have some brain teasers on you!

Also I hear Ghost Trick is a good game. Its been on my list for a while.
Spore creatures is always a fun play!
I think its a cute game with a decent playtime and some fun character creation!

And I always have to recommend Drawn To Life, but especially the second one. Its an easy game for a younger demographic, but I think the story makes up for it.

Cooking mama for those short play sessions.

And Brain Age just to have some brain teasers on you!

Also I hear Ghost Trick is a good game. Its been on my list for a while.
vQBibnc.png
xypY4d5.png
TVHy8Pj.png
WmdW2o4.png2-Krondar-542341.pngc6d5AbQ.png
Ut9RRot.png
k3PfQGk.png
Sj6j121.png
fg6G1CJ.png
as the self appointed chibi-robo ambassador of the website i will recommend both clean sweep (only exists in english as an unofficial fan translation) and park patrol. if you've no context for chibi-robo you play as a 10cm tall robot who helps a family through their troubles while helping to clean their house, help their interpersonal relationships, and interact with toys. clean sweep is a direct sequel where you help a new household that consists of the daughter of the previous household and her son, they have their own woes while park patrol is a spinoff where you help manage a park and there are also toys. i don't know how people feel about park patrol but i think its a fun game, its very minimal on the park upkeep so its not stressful like a full simulator would be.

the mario series is quite beefy so there's a lot of ds games, mario 64 ds which is a remake of the classic game with the ability to play as 3 new characters and many new added stars. i've sunk an unhealthy amount of time into mario party ds over the years, this one has a consistent theme where all the mario characters are really small so the boards and minigames are themed after these limitations. there's also "endless" modes for some of the console's puzzle minigames (this is where my time went). i've not much experience with these titles but mario kart ds and mario & luigi bowser's inside strory are very beloved by fans, i don't think any mario kart game is widely disliked honestly. yoshi's island ds is fine, yoshi's new island is the one to avoid.

im blanking hardcore on more games, most of what i owned when i was younger was shovelware. shocked no one's mentioned animal crossing wild world yet or ace attorney. anything else i can think of is rated mature and i can't verify about the quality and content because i've moved on from those types of subjects rip
as the self appointed chibi-robo ambassador of the website i will recommend both clean sweep (only exists in english as an unofficial fan translation) and park patrol. if you've no context for chibi-robo you play as a 10cm tall robot who helps a family through their troubles while helping to clean their house, help their interpersonal relationships, and interact with toys. clean sweep is a direct sequel where you help a new household that consists of the daughter of the previous household and her son, they have their own woes while park patrol is a spinoff where you help manage a park and there are also toys. i don't know how people feel about park patrol but i think its a fun game, its very minimal on the park upkeep so its not stressful like a full simulator would be.

the mario series is quite beefy so there's a lot of ds games, mario 64 ds which is a remake of the classic game with the ability to play as 3 new characters and many new added stars. i've sunk an unhealthy amount of time into mario party ds over the years, this one has a consistent theme where all the mario characters are really small so the boards and minigames are themed after these limitations. there's also "endless" modes for some of the console's puzzle minigames (this is where my time went). i've not much experience with these titles but mario kart ds and mario & luigi bowser's inside strory are very beloved by fans, i don't think any mario kart game is widely disliked honestly. yoshi's island ds is fine, yoshi's new island is the one to avoid.

im blanking hardcore on more games, most of what i owned when i was younger was shovelware. shocked no one's mentioned animal crossing wild world yet or ace attorney. anything else i can think of is rated mature and i can't verify about the quality and content because i've moved on from those types of subjects rip
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
I know you're like totally swamped in recommendations now lol, but if you like puzzles and brain teasers, I'd check out the Professor Layton games :] It's a puzzle adventure game, with a mystery plot too...

And also like mentioned by bulrush Ace Attorney is also pretty fun.. its more like a visual novel, but you still have to use your brain sometimes (well at least i did lol) and who doesn't love courtroom drama
I know you're like totally swamped in recommendations now lol, but if you like puzzles and brain teasers, I'd check out the Professor Layton games :] It's a puzzle adventure game, with a mystery plot too...

And also like mentioned by bulrush Ace Attorney is also pretty fun.. its more like a visual novel, but you still have to use your brain sometimes (well at least i did lol) and who doesn't love courtroom drama
I recommend Prey The Stars! Very silly and colorful game where you play as one of four different dog-like monsters who eat stuff!
I recommend Prey The Stars! Very silly and colorful game where you play as one of four different dog-like monsters who eat stuff!
They/She/Glitch/He/It/Zip/Digi

P9aWhak.png pZJYyk4.png uVEyOnT.png jo4fU6U.png 9TCvzie.png uOsoNEC.png Ut9RRot.png 8GgdVkW.png k3PfQGk.png Sj6j121.png plaitf1.png 425WuJb.png PnAMpIx.png petscop.png l8NOdbs.png QFrKSGZ.png JgYimBi.png
looks around. play ghost trick. there's a ghost button. and a trick button. that's all the info you're getting.
looks around. play ghost trick. there's a ghost button. and a trick button. that's all the info you're getting.
2KwZtRK.png7nppAyR.png
1 2 3 4 5