Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Economic Disparity
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I've been grinding non-stop in Coliseum for about 8 hours (which I honestly don't mind, I like grinding and I can do it while watching my shows), but I've only gained about 15k and I've found no familiars or eggs. This is probably me and my bad luck, but it is hard to gain money, and they probably need to make it a little bit easier, or at least offer more than 1k when starting out. I joined yesterday and honestly didn't know what I was supposed to do and how I was supposed to gain money.

A tutorial would also be a good addition, with maybe bonus treasure to help people start out.
I've been grinding non-stop in Coliseum for about 8 hours (which I honestly don't mind, I like grinding and I can do it while watching my shows), but I've only gained about 15k and I've found no familiars or eggs. This is probably me and my bad luck, but it is hard to gain money, and they probably need to make it a little bit easier, or at least offer more than 1k when starting out. I joined yesterday and honestly didn't know what I was supposed to do and how I was supposed to gain money.

A tutorial would also be a good addition, with maybe bonus treasure to help people start out.
I want to like Flight Rising. I really, really do. I love the art. And I love my dragons. But it's almost making it impossible.

I joined day one. I made my Prodginators, and bred them. I got one egg. Like a fool, I used my boon. What ever, I figured, I'll earn another. That hasn't happened yet.

I'm a mother of 2 rather small girls, and my time on FR is limited. I check maybe... three times a day to feed my dragons. I do my gathering, I check the Crossroads and such to try and sell when I can. But it's been nothing but an uphill battle. From downtimes, to times where the site lags so bad it's pointless to try and look around.

I tried my hand at the games, but with my kids, I get pulled away, or spoke to so I miss out on those time bonuses. So I turned to the coliseum. I trained my dragons up until Level 9, when I noticed things weren't working out so well. It was taking far, far too long. I had spec'd wrong, because when I started there was no guide. I was going by gut instinct.

I had to spend *all* my treasure just to get them into fighting shape, when an hour in the Coliseum doesn't net me very much.

Thankfully, a friend gave me two dragons, and I managed to buy a third for rather cheap, or else I would still just have my starters, and a pair of their spawn.

Simply; It's not easy to play FR if you have other obligations. In fact, it can be more of a chore than anything because you know it's going to take months to get what some folk get in a week.
I want to like Flight Rising. I really, really do. I love the art. And I love my dragons. But it's almost making it impossible.

I joined day one. I made my Prodginators, and bred them. I got one egg. Like a fool, I used my boon. What ever, I figured, I'll earn another. That hasn't happened yet.

I'm a mother of 2 rather small girls, and my time on FR is limited. I check maybe... three times a day to feed my dragons. I do my gathering, I check the Crossroads and such to try and sell when I can. But it's been nothing but an uphill battle. From downtimes, to times where the site lags so bad it's pointless to try and look around.

I tried my hand at the games, but with my kids, I get pulled away, or spoke to so I miss out on those time bonuses. So I turned to the coliseum. I trained my dragons up until Level 9, when I noticed things weren't working out so well. It was taking far, far too long. I had spec'd wrong, because when I started there was no guide. I was going by gut instinct.

I had to spend *all* my treasure just to get them into fighting shape, when an hour in the Coliseum doesn't net me very much.

Thankfully, a friend gave me two dragons, and I managed to buy a third for rather cheap, or else I would still just have my starters, and a pair of their spawn.

Simply; It's not easy to play FR if you have other obligations. In fact, it can be more of a chore than anything because you know it's going to take months to get what some folk get in a week.
Sketchbook Thread
I honestly don't know how people make so much treasure from games. 1 easy puzzle takes me 4 mins to do, and I get 1.2k from it. That means I earn a whopping 18k per hour if I keep at it, and I don't because it seems like such a tiny amount. So I can imagine people thinking that FR is too much work for too little treasure if they have the puzzle skills that I do.

With the coliseum, I have a tiny team of 3, 2 of which are at level 12. I've found 2 familiars, no eggs, and some fragments, so maybe 18k? I can't say how long it took me though, so perhaps that's a moot point.

It does seem as though most users tend to stick to the coliseum and games for treasure...and if they're anyone like me, they won't be having much luck. From there, you either slowly earn your way to your goals, or quit. Or find new ways of making money, like I did.

To combat inflation, I can understand why there are such massive sinks and seemingly more limited ways to make money. But I see the problem going away if more games, and fun games, are introduced.
I honestly don't know how people make so much treasure from games. 1 easy puzzle takes me 4 mins to do, and I get 1.2k from it. That means I earn a whopping 18k per hour if I keep at it, and I don't because it seems like such a tiny amount. So I can imagine people thinking that FR is too much work for too little treasure if they have the puzzle skills that I do.

With the coliseum, I have a tiny team of 3, 2 of which are at level 12. I've found 2 familiars, no eggs, and some fragments, so maybe 18k? I can't say how long it took me though, so perhaps that's a moot point.

It does seem as though most users tend to stick to the coliseum and games for treasure...and if they're anyone like me, they won't be having much luck. From there, you either slowly earn your way to your goals, or quit. Or find new ways of making money, like I did.

To combat inflation, I can understand why there are such massive sinks and seemingly more limited ways to make money. But I see the problem going away if more games, and fun games, are introduced.
tastefulmarketing.gif
@maetropa

You haven't gotten any familiars in 8 hours of grinding? Unless you're taking 25+ minutes per battle, that's.. ridiculous bad luck. I'd say that familiar drop chance is anywhere from 1% to 5%, depending on the area/familiar in question (I ran through maybe 200 matches total today and have gotten about 4 familiars), so that's utterly crazy. I'm really sorry to hear that.

Anyways, these are all really great points. I do agree that making money needs to be made easier, especially through games -- Jigsaw is really tedious, Runestones isn't very much in the way of payout, and Coliseum can be unpredictable because of drop rates. Higher or Lower isn't money-making, period.
I'm certain that the staff are hard at work making more ways for us to earn treasure, though. The site's not much more than a month old, so there's bound to be a bit of a limitation on everything thus far. Flight Rising is still in its early stages.
(I do agree that waiting sucks, though, and instant gratification is great, etc, etc.)

The question of time spent on here is going to be present on any site like this-- people with a lot of extra time to devote are going to be off better than those who don't. On Subeta, you can sink extra time into quests or restocking; on Valenth, you can go around exchanging clicks with other people and hopefully hatch shiny hunts faster; on Global Pokedex Plus, you can click all the things and get the benefits from that... and so on and so forth.
It's summer right now, which explains why people have extra time. Unless you do summer courses, all of the high school and college kids are on vacation, so, naturally, they have extra time. (Just you wait until school starts again-- lulls are almost certain to happen.)

There does need to be more things done to be able to help the more "casual" players out, though.

Various thoughts:

- Game payout needs to be higher, or at least a little more balanced for the time that it requires.
- Coliseum could have a higher return -- "rare" drops such as Familiars and uncommon drops such as battle items could be worth more. Alternatively, increase the amount of treasure given from Leafy Packs / Fishscale Baskets / etc. Coliseum takes time, and even moreso if you want to farm in the first two areas, because to farm quickly and efficiently, you need a lv. 10+ dragon with good speed and attack, and that takes some time to achieve.
- Exaltation has been touched upon as of the most recent update, but I'd say that at least 15k treasure for an adult Plentiful breed at level 1 should be the absolute lowest. I'd hate to see it made possible to play a few games of Jigsaw and then be able to go snap up a hatchling-- even Plentiful dragons should be somewhat valuable for the absolute last resort to get a dragon out of your lair. I'm sure the market'll change once more treasure is put into the system through games and whatnot, though.

- I will admit that the fact that Imperials are given out through the Kickstarter is a little breaking, and does give those players an advantage. Yet, I'm certain that Imperials will gradually become more common in the future, and so that imbalance will even out. If all Imperials are bred to other Imperials or Wildclaws, their population will grow substantially. 30/35-day cooldown species have breeding booms, and then lulls, so we just need to wait for the Imperial population to grow along with the amount of treasure being put into the economy from future games / tweaks. As the population grows, there'll be more to meet demand, even with that cooldown in mind, and hopefully, by that point in the future, it won't be as impossible to earn enough to meet the market price. (And whoever said that Imperial breed-change scrolls won't be available in the future?)
@maetropa

You haven't gotten any familiars in 8 hours of grinding? Unless you're taking 25+ minutes per battle, that's.. ridiculous bad luck. I'd say that familiar drop chance is anywhere from 1% to 5%, depending on the area/familiar in question (I ran through maybe 200 matches total today and have gotten about 4 familiars), so that's utterly crazy. I'm really sorry to hear that.

Anyways, these are all really great points. I do agree that making money needs to be made easier, especially through games -- Jigsaw is really tedious, Runestones isn't very much in the way of payout, and Coliseum can be unpredictable because of drop rates. Higher or Lower isn't money-making, period.
I'm certain that the staff are hard at work making more ways for us to earn treasure, though. The site's not much more than a month old, so there's bound to be a bit of a limitation on everything thus far. Flight Rising is still in its early stages.
(I do agree that waiting sucks, though, and instant gratification is great, etc, etc.)

The question of time spent on here is going to be present on any site like this-- people with a lot of extra time to devote are going to be off better than those who don't. On Subeta, you can sink extra time into quests or restocking; on Valenth, you can go around exchanging clicks with other people and hopefully hatch shiny hunts faster; on Global Pokedex Plus, you can click all the things and get the benefits from that... and so on and so forth.
It's summer right now, which explains why people have extra time. Unless you do summer courses, all of the high school and college kids are on vacation, so, naturally, they have extra time. (Just you wait until school starts again-- lulls are almost certain to happen.)

There does need to be more things done to be able to help the more "casual" players out, though.

Various thoughts:

- Game payout needs to be higher, or at least a little more balanced for the time that it requires.
- Coliseum could have a higher return -- "rare" drops such as Familiars and uncommon drops such as battle items could be worth more. Alternatively, increase the amount of treasure given from Leafy Packs / Fishscale Baskets / etc. Coliseum takes time, and even moreso if you want to farm in the first two areas, because to farm quickly and efficiently, you need a lv. 10+ dragon with good speed and attack, and that takes some time to achieve.
- Exaltation has been touched upon as of the most recent update, but I'd say that at least 15k treasure for an adult Plentiful breed at level 1 should be the absolute lowest. I'd hate to see it made possible to play a few games of Jigsaw and then be able to go snap up a hatchling-- even Plentiful dragons should be somewhat valuable for the absolute last resort to get a dragon out of your lair. I'm sure the market'll change once more treasure is put into the system through games and whatnot, though.

- I will admit that the fact that Imperials are given out through the Kickstarter is a little breaking, and does give those players an advantage. Yet, I'm certain that Imperials will gradually become more common in the future, and so that imbalance will even out. If all Imperials are bred to other Imperials or Wildclaws, their population will grow substantially. 30/35-day cooldown species have breeding booms, and then lulls, so we just need to wait for the Imperial population to grow along with the amount of treasure being put into the economy from future games / tweaks. As the population grows, there'll be more to meet demand, even with that cooldown in mind, and hopefully, by that point in the future, it won't be as impossible to earn enough to meet the market price. (And whoever said that Imperial breed-change scrolls won't be available in the future?)
4Gh3xRo.png
MUYNhfy.png
sD0LDRK.png
bYt72YT.png

PRICTGJ.png
plague_1.png - gathering turns & coli grinding shop
- plaguedom shop

- item sales
- g1 sales
I'm going to have to agree with @GeistNoir here; the game has such immense potential but is leading itself into the realm of numb repetition, and the bugginess makes that all the more frustrating.

Some relatively easy tweaks to help rebalance the game a touch would be-
  • more common loot from coliseum
  • higher percentages for less common loot as you increase levels in gathering
  • more loot items from leafy packs etc.
  • a larger variety and a slightly higher payoff from the fairground games, but with a much lower limit than the current, unrealistic 75k limit. Perhaps a 15k-25k limit per day, or something - still a lot, so not something people will be regularly and consistently reaching, but not so high that the only people ever reaching it will be redoing the same puzzles over and over
  • a higher drop-rate for volume of common things - say, java sparrows - so that accumulating volumes of them is easier and therefore feeding dragons whilst still making money isn't a strain?

Other long-term options would involve adding more of a variety of games, putting element-specific Tasks in play, and so on. There's a lot of potential in this sort of place and I'm really excited to see how it goes, and really attached to the site already.
I'm going to have to agree with @GeistNoir here; the game has such immense potential but is leading itself into the realm of numb repetition, and the bugginess makes that all the more frustrating.

Some relatively easy tweaks to help rebalance the game a touch would be-
  • more common loot from coliseum
  • higher percentages for less common loot as you increase levels in gathering
  • more loot items from leafy packs etc.
  • a larger variety and a slightly higher payoff from the fairground games, but with a much lower limit than the current, unrealistic 75k limit. Perhaps a 15k-25k limit per day, or something - still a lot, so not something people will be regularly and consistently reaching, but not so high that the only people ever reaching it will be redoing the same puzzles over and over
  • a higher drop-rate for volume of common things - say, java sparrows - so that accumulating volumes of them is easier and therefore feeding dragons whilst still making money isn't a strain?

Other long-term options would involve adding more of a variety of games, putting element-specific Tasks in play, and so on. There's a lot of potential in this sort of place and I'm really excited to see how it goes, and really attached to the site already.
Wow... I don't even know where to begin. [quote name="Omni" date="2013-07-07 23:51:11" url="main.php?p=mb&board=sug&page=3&id=344129#366625"]I am absolutely in agreement that the economy of FR is wonky and upside down. Gems are worth less than treasure, for crying out loud![/quote] Gems are worth 75-90 treasure each. If anything, it means that gems are in oversupply. [quote]The tone here is making me very uncomfortable.[/quote] It's a freaking discussion on a pet site for crying out loud. [quote]I mean, I barely play the games because they bore me in about 10 seconds.[/quote] Uh, too bad? Are you expecting the game to cater to you in every way? Maybe you're just going to have to suck it up. And this is coming from someone with legit ADHD. [quote]I guess my lair is pretty big, but that all mostly came from good luck, friends, selling/reselling hatchlings and taking clutch reservations. I hope no one is glaring at me from the sidelines and thinking I don't have a life/must buy 100000000000 gem because it's not true and really rude to assume that kind of thing. [/quote] I looked at your lair and it's freaking huge. I have no idea what you're complaining about.
Wow... I don't even know where to begin.
I am absolutely in agreement that the economy of FR is wonky and upside down. Gems are worth less than treasure, for crying out loud!

Gems are worth 75-90 treasure each. If anything, it means that gems are in oversupply.
Quote:
The tone here is making me very uncomfortable.

It's a freaking discussion on a pet site for crying out loud.
Quote:
I mean, I barely play the games because they bore me in about 10 seconds.

Uh, too bad? Are you expecting the game to cater to you in every way? Maybe you're just going to have to suck it up. And this is coming from someone with legit ADHD.
Quote:
I guess my lair is pretty big, but that all mostly came from good luck, friends, selling/reselling hatchlings and taking clutch reservations. I hope no one is glaring at me from the sidelines and thinking I don't have a life/must buy 100000000000 gem because it's not true and really rude to assume that kind of thing.

I looked at your lair and it's freaking huge. I have no idea what you're complaining about.
[LF] Female Ice Imp Low 6 digit - 50k gemsbiDj7CC.png
I'm confused over a couple things you said; [quote]If I feed my dragons, I have dragons that can't do anything for fifteen days.[/quote] I'm..assuming you mean breed? Cause I've never encountered feeding to be a issue in preventing my dragons from doing things. If you did mean breed, I feel you. 15 days seems like a eternity. [quote]To have things to sell I gather, which makes for hungry dragons but some money in the bank that maybe I can use find a dragon with colors I want provided I save enough.[/quote] Soooo..you're prioritizing getting treasure and buying new dragons over the care of the ones you have? Do you know that if you feed your dragons to at least 80% full for 3 days you get a gathering and treasure bonus? If you maintain it the bonus for a week thats 1750 treasure a week just by feeding your dragons. It isn't much but it will add up eventually. It's easy for me, as I only have one species of dragon in my lair right now and they all eat bugs. I can use all my gathering for one day to stock food for my dragons that can last for a week. The rest of the week I can scavenge for whatever I want to make some quick coin. Being able to afford (which is a strange way to put it because really, feeding your dragons is free if you gather) to keep my dragons fed is a non issue. I think this bonus is a good way for new people to start saving up treasure with very little effort. I think this would be a small, nice thing for the busy people like you seem to indicate you are. You aren't going to get a fortune fast, but you'll get there. I see you have pets, which I assume you pet everyday and get a little treasure from that. It all adds up. It may not be as fast as you want it to but it does. Also look at the forums when you have time and don't want to play the games. You will see places like the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=baz&id=314771&page=1]Ugly Baby Swap Station[/url] where you might find a baby you like for free/cheap/trade. People are willing to hold dragons while you save up or maybe would just be nice and take whatever you have to offer. There are other ways to expand your flight while waiting for breeding CDs and babies to sell. Explore all your options instead of mindlessly hacking at the games. I've been here a little over a week and I admit I've splurged on some gems to buy a couple dragons nice, shiny genes cause I totally like shiny things, but the rest are basically sitting useless because the gem/treasure ratio is dumb. I battle my dragons lightly when I'm bored and play runes if I have the time while listening to music or tv. I have a total of 15k treasure saved right now and all the scrolls I want are at least 160k+ per. (For people who have bad connections/old computers, I feel for you. Hopefully you can some day in the future upgrade and hopefully the devs will make some lower strain versions of their games so you can play too.) The economy is a bit borked but hopefully will right itself soon, but I also think that maybe your making it too hard on yourself. I too want pretty, rare dragons. I would love for a Imperial, Pearl clutcher or a Spiral but I know that it'll come down the road somewhere. This place is new, it has a lot of things to add and changes to make, and the people behind the scenes have to try and balance it out right for the benefit of everyone. If you really think this place has potential then ride it out and see how things will improve. Stop worrying about what other people have and you don't. Save save save, make some friends, have some fun! If it gets worse, pick the person you like best, give them all your stuff and find something that you do have fun to play. I hope that you in the end find some tips, tricks, or suggestions that help you have more fun with this site. Edited for soooo many typos cause it's so stupidly early in the morning XD
I'm confused over a couple things you said;
Quote:
If I feed my dragons, I have dragons that can't do anything for fifteen days.

I'm..assuming you mean breed? Cause I've never encountered feeding to be a issue in preventing my dragons from doing things. If you did mean breed, I feel you. 15 days seems like a eternity.
Quote:
To have things to sell I gather, which makes for hungry dragons but some money in the bank that maybe I can use find a dragon with colors I want provided I save enough.

Soooo..you're prioritizing getting treasure and buying new dragons over the care of the ones you have? Do you know that if you feed your dragons to at least 80% full for 3 days you get a gathering and treasure bonus? If you maintain it the bonus for a week thats 1750 treasure a week just by feeding your dragons. It isn't much but it will add up eventually. It's easy for me, as I only have one species of dragon in my lair right now and they all eat bugs. I can use all my gathering for one day to stock food for my dragons that can last for a week. The rest of the week I can scavenge for whatever I want to make some quick coin. Being able to afford (which is a strange way to put it because really, feeding your dragons is free if you gather) to keep my dragons fed is a non issue. I think this bonus is a good way for new people to start saving up treasure with very little effort. I think this would be a small, nice thing for the busy people like you seem to indicate you are. You aren't going to get a fortune fast, but you'll get there. I see you have pets, which I assume you pet everyday and get a little treasure from that. It all adds up. It may not be as fast as you want it to but it does.

Also look at the forums when you have time and don't want to play the games. You will see places like the Ugly Baby Swap Station where you might find a baby you like for free/cheap/trade. People are willing to hold dragons while you save up or maybe would just be nice and take whatever you have to offer. There are other ways to expand your flight while waiting for breeding CDs and babies to sell. Explore all your options instead of mindlessly hacking at the games.

I've been here a little over a week and I admit I've splurged on some gems to buy a couple dragons nice, shiny genes cause I totally like shiny things, but the rest are basically sitting useless because the gem/treasure ratio is dumb. I battle my dragons lightly when I'm bored and play runes if I have the time while listening to music or tv. I have a total of 15k treasure saved right now and all the scrolls I want are at least 160k+ per.

(For people who have bad connections/old computers, I feel for you. Hopefully you can some day in the future upgrade and hopefully the devs will make some lower strain versions of their games so you can play too.)

The economy is a bit borked but hopefully will right itself soon, but I also think that maybe your making it too hard on yourself. I too want pretty, rare dragons. I would love for a Imperial, Pearl clutcher or a Spiral but I know that it'll come down the road somewhere. This place is new, it has a lot of things to add and changes to make, and the people behind the scenes have to try and balance it out right for the benefit of everyone. If you really think this place has potential then ride it out and see how things will improve. Stop worrying about what other people have and you don't. Save save save, make some friends, have some fun! If it gets worse, pick the person you like best, give them all your stuff and find something that you do have fun to play.

I hope that you in the end find some tips, tricks, or suggestions that help you have more fun with this site.

Edited for soooo many typos cause it's so stupidly early in the morning XD
Sorry, but time = money in virtual pet games. Or money = money. But you can't get around that. Right now it's summer and I spend way too much time on this site. But I guess it's not enough, because I am way behind a ton of other people. I have a very modest lair of just five dragons (and all starter breeds), even though I was a kickstarter member. The horror!!! But I'm not complaining that I can't make enough money because I don't like the stress of reselling dragons or that I'm bored by playing runestones. Yet I see people with multiple rare dragons or huge lairs complaining about their plight.

Sorry, but some people are just entitled here. It's too bad that people have more free time to play this game than others. I wish I had more time to grind out on Runestones or I had the skill to resell dragons. But think about it this way: the time and energy you're not spending on Flight Rising means that you're fulfilling more important things in your life.
Sorry, but time = money in virtual pet games. Or money = money. But you can't get around that. Right now it's summer and I spend way too much time on this site. But I guess it's not enough, because I am way behind a ton of other people. I have a very modest lair of just five dragons (and all starter breeds), even though I was a kickstarter member. The horror!!! But I'm not complaining that I can't make enough money because I don't like the stress of reselling dragons or that I'm bored by playing runestones. Yet I see people with multiple rare dragons or huge lairs complaining about their plight.

Sorry, but some people are just entitled here. It's too bad that people have more free time to play this game than others. I wish I had more time to grind out on Runestones or I had the skill to resell dragons. But think about it this way: the time and energy you're not spending on Flight Rising means that you're fulfilling more important things in your life.
[LF] Female Ice Imp Low 6 digit - 50k gemsbiDj7CC.png
so I'm going to throw my two cents onto this, especially as I have a nice comparison between myself (a kickstarter with a demanding job so little time to play) and my other half (joined one weekish after public launch and also has a demanding job so little time to play)

I really do not think the issue is 'its hard to get money'

The issue is 'I want all the pretty genes and breeds NOW and I can't get them, while other people have them, and that's not fair'

My other half has tons of money despite only playing the coliseum, and its because he doesn't care about buying breed change or gene scrolls, he just enjoys fighting and training his few dragons. He has all the money in the world to buy battle stones etc, and if he wanted to he could get the scrolls to make 'pretty' dragons too, but he doesn't. So over time the money builds up and yeah he never has any problems on that front DESPITE never playing the fairgrounds (literally).

I generally save money, then blow it on a breed change scroll. The way I do this is I play smart with what little time I have online to play the fairgrounds in a way that maximises my treasure/minute earnings. So for me, easy puzzles. I can do them in 2-2.30 mins, which earns me 36000 in one hour. I have an extremely busy life (I am a final year PhD student that is currently working literally 14 hours a day) but I can usually find time to take a one hour break in a day to play some puzzles. If I have enough time to watch a movie in an evening then I can play puzzles at the same time and hit the daily cap in 2-3 hours.

36K from one hour playtime is more than enough to buy any starter breed in the AH, I've seen the prices go as low as 10K recently for a starter hatchling.

If you want the scroll breeds or genes then yes you have to save. Stop buying everything else, apparel, familiars etc and focus on saving for the thing you really want. If you saved your 36K from one hour of game play on puzzles, then in 7 days you will have enough for a pearlcatcher or ridgeback scroll. That means in a 15 day cooldown you can get 2 breed changes in the time it takes the dragons to be ready to breed again! Then when you breed your scroll breeds, you can sell the hatchlings for a decent amount of treasure.

So yeah, I really think 'I have only short amounts of time to play' is not an excuse, unless you literally have no time at all for the game and can only afford the time to sign on, feed and gather. If that is the case, then yes you will struggle but as other people have said, you get what you put in and the whole idea of a game is to make some things challenging to accomplish, otherwise what is the point?

so I'm going to throw my two cents onto this, especially as I have a nice comparison between myself (a kickstarter with a demanding job so little time to play) and my other half (joined one weekish after public launch and also has a demanding job so little time to play)

I really do not think the issue is 'its hard to get money'

The issue is 'I want all the pretty genes and breeds NOW and I can't get them, while other people have them, and that's not fair'

My other half has tons of money despite only playing the coliseum, and its because he doesn't care about buying breed change or gene scrolls, he just enjoys fighting and training his few dragons. He has all the money in the world to buy battle stones etc, and if he wanted to he could get the scrolls to make 'pretty' dragons too, but he doesn't. So over time the money builds up and yeah he never has any problems on that front DESPITE never playing the fairgrounds (literally).

I generally save money, then blow it on a breed change scroll. The way I do this is I play smart with what little time I have online to play the fairgrounds in a way that maximises my treasure/minute earnings. So for me, easy puzzles. I can do them in 2-2.30 mins, which earns me 36000 in one hour. I have an extremely busy life (I am a final year PhD student that is currently working literally 14 hours a day) but I can usually find time to take a one hour break in a day to play some puzzles. If I have enough time to watch a movie in an evening then I can play puzzles at the same time and hit the daily cap in 2-3 hours.

36K from one hour playtime is more than enough to buy any starter breed in the AH, I've seen the prices go as low as 10K recently for a starter hatchling.

If you want the scroll breeds or genes then yes you have to save. Stop buying everything else, apparel, familiars etc and focus on saving for the thing you really want. If you saved your 36K from one hour of game play on puzzles, then in 7 days you will have enough for a pearlcatcher or ridgeback scroll. That means in a 15 day cooldown you can get 2 breed changes in the time it takes the dragons to be ready to breed again! Then when you breed your scroll breeds, you can sell the hatchlings for a decent amount of treasure.

So yeah, I really think 'I have only short amounts of time to play' is not an excuse, unless you literally have no time at all for the game and can only afford the time to sign on, feed and gather. If that is the case, then yes you will struggle but as other people have said, you get what you put in and the whole idea of a game is to make some things challenging to accomplish, otherwise what is the point?

RoFhatchlingbanner1_zps7e29e49b.jpg
Can I just add that, on top of Runestones and Puzzles being boring as hell, Coli is STILL unplayable for some because of the slowdown glitch? Battles take 5-10 mins for me if anyone uses bolt attacks, which makes grinding impossible.
Can I just add that, on top of Runestones and Puzzles being boring as hell, Coli is STILL unplayable for some because of the slowdown glitch? Battles take 5-10 mins for me if anyone uses bolt attacks, which makes grinding impossible.
359lt1f.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10