Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Fiona's Bonding Pen
1 2
I like this and would love to see this. I also would think it's fine that chests are dropped, since it takes so long for them to actually get to the chest level.

50k a day if you bond with 1000 fams isn't a lot, considering you can coli endlessly, OR do the fair grounds. Not every user will care about fams, and some people will only really want to do this during fests.
I like this and would love to see this. I also would think it's fine that chests are dropped, since it takes so long for them to actually get to the chest level.

50k a day if you bond with 1000 fams isn't a lot, considering you can coli endlessly, OR do the fair grounds. Not every user will care about fams, and some people will only really want to do this during fests.
Please don't quote me.
Hmmm, I appreciate the work that went into the mock-up but I can't support this specific set-up for the reasons others have mentioned, primarily that it encourages the idea of bonding with all 1000+ familiars every day which is not intended gameplay.

I think a better solution would be if a Fiona's Pen feature shows you only the familiars that are currently attached to Lair Dragons and therefore are currently bond-able. You could then bond with each familiar in the same way you can bond with familiars at Fiona, with a single button press that refreshes the page (so no ad revenue is lost).

This also would remove the need for confusing "penalties" or "restrictions" attached to bonding in this manner such as "no rewards" or what have you.

And if a player insists on switching out all their familiars so as to bond with all 1000+ familiars, they can still do that through the dragon pages and then utilize this feature to make the bonding a little faster without outright encouraging that kind of intensive gameplay.
Hmmm, I appreciate the work that went into the mock-up but I can't support this specific set-up for the reasons others have mentioned, primarily that it encourages the idea of bonding with all 1000+ familiars every day which is not intended gameplay.

I think a better solution would be if a Fiona's Pen feature shows you only the familiars that are currently attached to Lair Dragons and therefore are currently bond-able. You could then bond with each familiar in the same way you can bond with familiars at Fiona, with a single button press that refreshes the page (so no ad revenue is lost).

This also would remove the need for confusing "penalties" or "restrictions" attached to bonding in this manner such as "no rewards" or what have you.

And if a player insists on switching out all their familiars so as to bond with all 1000+ familiars, they can still do that through the dragon pages and then utilize this feature to make the bonding a little faster without outright encouraging that kind of intensive gameplay.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
people complaining - yall can bond with every familiar in your hoard eventually thru fiona, whats the difference?

the most you can get per 1 awakened familiar is 50 treasure

there are (at the time of me writing this) 1205 familiars

1205 x 50 = 60250kt

which yes is kind of a lot, but are you (generalized you) really gonna sit here and tell me that you think there's a possibility that enough people are willing to go through all 1205 familiars every day for it to cause a problem? that even one person would be willing to do that? that's ridiculous - i have 134 dragons presently, and i struggle to get through bonding with those and the only reason i'm doing it is because of NotN!!!

edit: i accidentally said 50kt/awakened when i meant to say 50 treasure, i'm used to typing out figures like that because of my hatchery lol
people complaining - yall can bond with every familiar in your hoard eventually thru fiona, whats the difference?

the most you can get per 1 awakened familiar is 50 treasure

there are (at the time of me writing this) 1205 familiars

1205 x 50 = 60250kt

which yes is kind of a lot, but are you (generalized you) really gonna sit here and tell me that you think there's a possibility that enough people are willing to go through all 1205 familiars every day for it to cause a problem? that even one person would be willing to do that? that's ridiculous - i have 134 dragons presently, and i struggle to get through bonding with those and the only reason i'm doing it is because of NotN!!!

edit: i accidentally said 50kt/awakened when i meant to say 50 treasure, i'm used to typing out figures like that because of my hatchery lol
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
I'd like to leave some final thoughts on the feedback this has gotten before unsubscribing and letting the thread run its course.

I personally think the argument that the Bonding Pen expects users to bond with all of their familiars every day is flawed.

Bonding with all of your familiars is not some niche playstyle like the nuzlocke or monolairs. A substantial portion of the playerbase does it a lot, especially during festivals and site events. During NotN phrases like "my wrist hurts from bonding with all my familiars today" pop up in every other FR Discussion thread.

In my opinion, this playstyle is already encouraged. Why? Because it's extremely rewarding. If FR thought players should only bond with familiars that are already equipped on dragons, they could have coded it that you can only get 1 familiar reward per dragon per day, so swapping familiars out would have been useless.

Sure, swapping out and bonding with all your familiars doesn't have the fanfare and official endorsement like it's own special page, but I think it should. It's emergent gameplay the the userbase have discovered, and I'm not sure how "just leave it up to users even if it's clunky and dangerous to their health" a good argument.

Finding value in G1 doubles and triples is also an emergent gameplay element, where such dragons are considered more valuable just because the users said so. The staff acknowledged it by frequently adding triple and especially double G1s to Roundsey as valuable prizes, even though those dragons are not in any practical way more special than a Hickory/Violet/Fern.
Pinglists were another emergent feature the users have came up with to improve community interaction, and now it's becoming an official feature.

So, why shouldn't the same improvement happen to the player-developed practice of bonding with stored familiars? I think it's worth embracing and improving.

Looping back to the first couple of paragraphs, I don't think users are expected to interact with every site mechanic every day anyway. I don't do Crim or Tomo ever. I barely remember to check Pinkerton. I only do Fiona during festivals, and only sporadically use Arlo and Coli. My main site features are Baldwin and Fairgrounds, and that's fine. Otherwise the same argument that "the site encourages you to spend hours clicking" could be used against Coli too, given that it has no cap and can infinitely drop loot.

Lastly, any negative economical impacts could be ironed out with some playtesting. Maybe the 50t reward needs to be reduced, or maybe the chests should be removed. Maybe it shouldn't drop fest currency. It's impossible to know before the playerbase engages with it and it's clear how much people actually use the mechanic and how much extra wealth it generates. It's not an idea-killer, though.

Anyway, sorry for rambling! Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, for now I will withdraw and let other users debate if this suggestion is something they like :]

On a side note, I think if the devs wanted to make it easier to bond with already equipped familiars, bonding from Bestiary or through a Flattery-like page would be better. My specific suggestion doesn't really improve bonding with equipped familiars and would take roughly the same amount of time and effort.
I'd like to leave some final thoughts on the feedback this has gotten before unsubscribing and letting the thread run its course.

I personally think the argument that the Bonding Pen expects users to bond with all of their familiars every day is flawed.

Bonding with all of your familiars is not some niche playstyle like the nuzlocke or monolairs. A substantial portion of the playerbase does it a lot, especially during festivals and site events. During NotN phrases like "my wrist hurts from bonding with all my familiars today" pop up in every other FR Discussion thread.

In my opinion, this playstyle is already encouraged. Why? Because it's extremely rewarding. If FR thought players should only bond with familiars that are already equipped on dragons, they could have coded it that you can only get 1 familiar reward per dragon per day, so swapping familiars out would have been useless.

Sure, swapping out and bonding with all your familiars doesn't have the fanfare and official endorsement like it's own special page, but I think it should. It's emergent gameplay the the userbase have discovered, and I'm not sure how "just leave it up to users even if it's clunky and dangerous to their health" a good argument.

Finding value in G1 doubles and triples is also an emergent gameplay element, where such dragons are considered more valuable just because the users said so. The staff acknowledged it by frequently adding triple and especially double G1s to Roundsey as valuable prizes, even though those dragons are not in any practical way more special than a Hickory/Violet/Fern.
Pinglists were another emergent feature the users have came up with to improve community interaction, and now it's becoming an official feature.

So, why shouldn't the same improvement happen to the player-developed practice of bonding with stored familiars? I think it's worth embracing and improving.

Looping back to the first couple of paragraphs, I don't think users are expected to interact with every site mechanic every day anyway. I don't do Crim or Tomo ever. I barely remember to check Pinkerton. I only do Fiona during festivals, and only sporadically use Arlo and Coli. My main site features are Baldwin and Fairgrounds, and that's fine. Otherwise the same argument that "the site encourages you to spend hours clicking" could be used against Coli too, given that it has no cap and can infinitely drop loot.

Lastly, any negative economical impacts could be ironed out with some playtesting. Maybe the 50t reward needs to be reduced, or maybe the chests should be removed. Maybe it shouldn't drop fest currency. It's impossible to know before the playerbase engages with it and it's clear how much people actually use the mechanic and how much extra wealth it generates. It's not an idea-killer, though.

Anyway, sorry for rambling! Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, for now I will withdraw and let other users debate if this suggestion is something they like :]

On a side note, I think if the devs wanted to make it easier to bond with already equipped familiars, bonding from Bestiary or through a Flattery-like page would be better. My specific suggestion doesn't really improve bonding with equipped familiars and would take roughly the same amount of time and effort.
..... image.png
-.-
-

RUS / ENG | 23 | FR + 3

-.-
Tumblr Blog | Skin Shop
--
-.- 01.png
i would really like this.

also this would still be a significant time sink (clicking -> waiting for page to load adds up over 100s of familiars), which means not everyone will do it because of the effort of sitting there monotonously clicking a button for 30+ minutes. at my absolute fastest/most efficient i could bond with all my unawakened familiars in about 20 minutes. i don't think this would be as fast, especially for people with slower connections.

and, like, tomo is what? two minutes? i only ever do tomo during festivals and events, despite the time sink for that being way way lower. basically i don't think this would cause a huge influx of familiar-related money or chests to flow into the economy.

how many people don't do daily glimmer and gloom, despite the potential to make 75kt in under 15 minutes? i don't.

wish we could see the statistics of how many people bond with all their fams during notn, but don't otherwise
i would really like this.

also this would still be a significant time sink (clicking -> waiting for page to load adds up over 100s of familiars), which means not everyone will do it because of the effort of sitting there monotonously clicking a button for 30+ minutes. at my absolute fastest/most efficient i could bond with all my unawakened familiars in about 20 minutes. i don't think this would be as fast, especially for people with slower connections.

and, like, tomo is what? two minutes? i only ever do tomo during festivals and events, despite the time sink for that being way way lower. basically i don't think this would cause a huge influx of familiar-related money or chests to flow into the economy.

how many people don't do daily glimmer and gloom, despite the potential to make 75kt in under 15 minutes? i don't.

wish we could see the statistics of how many people bond with all their fams during notn, but don't otherwise
Rotating image of my OCs drawn as tiny porcelain kittens drinking porcelain milk
I hate seeing "Bonding with every single familiar is not the intended way to play" and "it would overinflate the economy because everyone would do it if it was easy" arguments.

As mentioned above, everybody has the opportunity for 75k free treasure in the fairgrounds every day. How many people actually take advantage of that? I do it like, once in a blue moon because of the time sink.

I'm autistic and hyper-empathetic. If I don't bond with every single familiar I own every day, I feel bad. I also can't get rid of any of the familiars I don't have doubles of because I want to collect all of them.

I hate that all of the familiars in the inventory are just.. in stasis? not doing anything? not being cared for? A place at Fiona's where I could bond with them would be nice.

I also like the idea of a "Familiar Den/Lair" where you pay for slots just like the dragon lair and can put your familiars in those slots and click through them like you would if they were on dragons. (Or a bond-all button in the familiar den because you're paying for the slots?) Obviously there would be limitations to this to balance it.

I don't have enough dragons to put each of them on a dragon, and I want a way to make bonding easier.
I hate seeing "Bonding with every single familiar is not the intended way to play" and "it would overinflate the economy because everyone would do it if it was easy" arguments.

As mentioned above, everybody has the opportunity for 75k free treasure in the fairgrounds every day. How many people actually take advantage of that? I do it like, once in a blue moon because of the time sink.

I'm autistic and hyper-empathetic. If I don't bond with every single familiar I own every day, I feel bad. I also can't get rid of any of the familiars I don't have doubles of because I want to collect all of them.

I hate that all of the familiars in the inventory are just.. in stasis? not doing anything? not being cared for? A place at Fiona's where I could bond with them would be nice.

I also like the idea of a "Familiar Den/Lair" where you pay for slots just like the dragon lair and can put your familiars in those slots and click through them like you would if they were on dragons. (Or a bond-all button in the familiar den because you're paying for the slots?) Obviously there would be limitations to this to balance it.

I don't have enough dragons to put each of them on a dragon, and I want a way to make bonding easier.
I will stay neutral for now, but I wonder... are players who has "no" arguments like "it's too easy" or "it will ruin [put what]" etc. know that it's literally the same as already known two-page method? It's just only one-click less which is not refreshing page anyway.

Current Available Method
1st page: Dragon Page
2nd page: "Change Familiar" subpage with filter "Not bonded today"

Steps
1. Click [Bond] on page 1
2. Click any next fam on page 2 (this will not refresh page!)
3. Click [Close]
4. Repeat

How suggestion work
1st page: fiona subpage
no second page

Steps
1. Click [Bond]
2. Click [Close]
3. Repeat

PS. If you wonder how fast you can bond around 1000 fams with currently available method - I checked it around christmas and it took around 1,5h.
I will stay neutral for now, but I wonder... are players who has "no" arguments like "it's too easy" or "it will ruin [put what]" etc. know that it's literally the same as already known two-page method? It's just only one-click less which is not refreshing page anyway.

Current Available Method
1st page: Dragon Page
2nd page: "Change Familiar" subpage with filter "Not bonded today"

Steps
1. Click [Bond] on page 1
2. Click any next fam on page 2 (this will not refresh page!)
3. Click [Close]
4. Repeat

How suggestion work
1st page: fiona subpage
no second page

Steps
1. Click [Bond]
2. Click [Close]
3. Repeat

PS. If you wonder how fast you can bond around 1000 fams with currently available method - I checked it around christmas and it took around 1,5h.
+8h, She
Light Flight
Familiars Wishlist
___ Iz0e2b4.png
Old links:
Try clean lair!
old fest:
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ibaz/2266216
Sell FV and CS
FkAu8Li.pngibewym8.png22aOvgY.gifCkwvckv.pngcrxTv4c.pngcrxTv4c.pngcrxTv4c.pngFkAu8Li.png
- Sleeping Dragon Adopt?
I'm on the fence, but maybe this could be made more balanced if it worked like Crim's Collection Cart in which you have a limited number of actions per hour. In the case of the pen, maybe you could bond with ~10 (less or more) familiars in your hoard at each interval and it would still be helping to increase the bond level with familiars that would otherwise be dusting in people's inventories.
I'm on the fence, but maybe this could be made more balanced if it worked like Crim's Collection Cart in which you have a limited number of actions per hour. In the case of the pen, maybe you could bond with ~10 (less or more) familiars in your hoard at each interval and it would still be helping to increase the bond level with familiars that would otherwise be dusting in people's inventories.
[quote name="Niya" date="2024-02-11 16:18:56" ] I will stay neutral for now, but I wonder... are players who has "no" arguments like "it's too easy" or "it will ruin [put what]" etc. know that it's literally the same as already known two-page method? It's just only one-click less which is not refreshing page anyway. ... PS. If you wonder how fast you can bond around 1000 fams with currently available method - I checked it around christmas and it took around 1,5h. [/quote] The current 2-page method doesn't work as well on mobile in my experience. This feature, by contrast, would be far more mobile-friendly, thus encouraging more users who play on mobile to bond with all of their familiars every day in addition to desktop players who aren't aware of the 2-page method/can't utilize it due to data or Internet constraints. I also suspect that it would greatly cut down on that 1.5 hours of bonding time. Regardless, the fact remains that this would be a site-sanctioned way of bonding with familiars in this manner. It's basically the site saying, "Hey, you can and [i]should[/i] bond with all of your familiars every day or you're missing out." Right now, there's no site-based pressure or encouragement. At best, the current 2-page method is more of a "min/max" strategy or exploit where if you know about it, you can utilize it (kinda like speed-running or expert runs in video games or whatever) but it's not intended to work that way.
Niya wrote on 2024-02-11 16:18:56:

The current 2-page method doesn't work as well on mobile in my experience. This feature, by contrast, would be far more mobile-friendly, thus encouraging more users who play on mobile to bond with all of their familiars every day in addition to desktop players who aren't aware of the 2-page method/can't utilize it due to data or Internet constraints.

I also suspect that it would greatly cut down on that 1.5 hours of bonding time.

Regardless, the fact remains that this would be a site-sanctioned way of bonding with familiars in this manner. It's basically the site saying, "Hey, you can and should bond with all of your familiars every day or you're missing out."

Right now, there's no site-based pressure or encouragement. At best, the current 2-page method is more of a "min/max" strategy or exploit where if you know about it, you can utilize it (kinda like speed-running or expert runs in video games or whatever) but it's not intended to work that way.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
1 2