Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [Arlo] Share with Colleagues change
1 2
yeah i think having an option like CR or PA where you just type the name of a user and can send them the notes would be great! They already check whether someone has used arlo/is eligible for notes, so i don't think it's a)unreasonable or b) unfeasible so have a "put name here" and then "oops this person isnt available for arlo! try a different user!" popup.
yeah i think having an option like CR or PA where you just type the name of a user and can send them the notes would be great! They already check whether someone has used arlo/is eligible for notes, so i don't think it's a)unreasonable or b) unfeasible so have a "put name here" and then "oops this person isnt available for arlo! try a different user!" popup.
CtM8cLF.png librariesrpunk
FR +3
aka Ghost
irregular_nekomata.png
Huge support for this. Solo players that don't want to have random people on their friend's list are penalized by getting 1 tool for 8 research notes. It's incredibly frustrating. I sincerely hope they change it because as of now, people who have no qualms with adding random strangers to their "friend" list are leagues above solo players. If this was actually a community effort, by being able to send notes to a random player, solo players wouldn't be kicked down like they currently are.
Huge support for this. Solo players that don't want to have random people on their friend's list are penalized by getting 1 tool for 8 research notes. It's incredibly frustrating. I sincerely hope they change it because as of now, people who have no qualms with adding random strangers to their "friend" list are leagues above solo players. If this was actually a community effort, by being able to send notes to a random player, solo players wouldn't be kicked down like they currently are.
Check out my YCH thread HERE!

591.png
Please, please, PLEASE, staff, give us the ability to randomly redistribute research notes! I don't like having people I don't know on my friends list! Let me help people like me without us having to show up on a list we don't like!
Please, please, PLEASE, staff, give us the ability to randomly redistribute research notes! I don't like having people I don't know on my friends list! Let me help people like me without us having to show up on a list we don't like!
mpH03tZ.png
Hange :: they/them :: World's Okayest Librarian

The FreaksTM will inherit the Earth, the Internet was ours first.
Smash that block button if you think people can't ship, write, draw, watch or read whatever they want.
Yes this is great- Support!
Yes this is great- Support!
Bamboo toilet paper!!
I am a pile of guinea pigs in a trench coat

A9-D5-DB86-9-D42-463-D-B11-E-EAE4-F986-E9-**.png
2203887-F-1-AA2-44-FE-9-D01-4527-CF5-E8-FAE.png
I have an Art Shop ooooh
I'm against getting rid of the share with colleagues option as it is. I like being able to send to my friends without having to make the decision about which friends who'll receive the notes. That's just going to make me feel bad for not selecting some friends, while now I can blame RNG.
I'm against getting rid of the share with colleagues option as it is. I like being able to send to my friends without having to make the decision about which friends who'll receive the notes. That's just going to make me feel bad for not selecting some friends, while now I can blame RNG.
by-knighterrant.png
Obviously I support this, as one of the people quoted, although the point about wanting to keep the random friends option is solid; more choices are always better. I'm also vaguely amused/interested to see how many notes I'm going to end up amassing by the time this is addressed, whatever the outcome, since I've been pretty much ignoring them so far.
Obviously I support this, as one of the people quoted, although the point about wanting to keep the random friends option is solid; more choices are always better. I'm also vaguely amused/interested to see how many notes I'm going to end up amassing by the time this is addressed, whatever the outcome, since I've been pretty much ignoring them so far.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
[quote name="siltstrider" date="2022-02-09 08:54:00" ] ...as of now, people who have no qualms with adding random strangers to their "friend" list are leagues above solo players. If this was actually a community effort, by being able to send notes to a random player, solo players wouldn't be kicked down like they currently are. [/quote] Yep, seeing admonitions like "everybody has figured out how 'collect finished dig works' [i]aaages[/i] ago" when I have about 2/3 of my fullest (tiny) plot is... sad. [quote name="Fallowsthorn" date="2022-02-11 18:00:17" ] Obviously I support this, as one of the people quoted, although the point about wanting to keep the random friends option is solid; more choices are always better. ... [/quote] We're not suggesting removing the friend-sharing option altogether, we just want random (and non-random) sharing with people not on our "Friend list" - Flight colleagues, Online colleagues, "Arlo users in general" colleagues. Friend lists are for friends, not bargaining power! If somebody makes that into a banner, we can spread the word [emoji=wildclaw winking size=2] Edit: Looks like a lot of people are feeling overwhelmed with having lots of "Friends" on their list and not getting much out of it except for a large "Friend List": https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3102118 https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3102914 So, even for people with wide-open "Friend lists" the friend-only system is not all it's promised to be.
siltstrider wrote on 2022-02-09 08:54:00:
...as of now, people who have no qualms with adding random strangers to their "friend" list are leagues above solo players. If this was actually a community effort, by being able to send notes to a random player, solo players wouldn't be kicked down like they currently are.
Yep, seeing admonitions like "everybody has figured out how 'collect finished dig works' aaages ago" when I have about 2/3 of my fullest (tiny) plot is... sad.
Fallowsthorn wrote on 2022-02-11 18:00:17:
Obviously I support this, as one of the people quoted, although the point about wanting to keep the random friends option is solid; more choices are always better. ...
We're not suggesting removing the friend-sharing option altogether, we just want random (and non-random) sharing with people not on our "Friend list" - Flight colleagues, Online colleagues, "Arlo users in general" colleagues.

Friend lists are for friends, not bargaining power! If somebody makes that into a banner, we can spread the word

Edit: Looks like a lot of people are feeling overwhelmed with having lots of "Friends" on their list and not getting much out of it except for a large "Friend List":
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3102118
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3102914
So, even for people with wide-open "Friend lists" the friend-only system is not all it's promised to be.
rJWIOZM.pngs8WoqhB.pngtDeKDnH.pngrats_badge.png[url][/url]a714f2ca8457a983cc2010ae692f56d4-da33ieq.pngb2880355ddf0aa894dcb44a252fda40339df0df0.png
[quote name="Twizz" date="2022-02-08 19:46:21" ] I guess I can support this if it's actually feasible within FR's current infrastructure? Like, I'd imagine it's currently relegated to Friends List Only because RNG-ing through 3000+ active users across multiple accounts sounds like it might be a server-based nightmare. For example, what constitutes "active" in this sense? Is it "logged on today" active? Is it "qualifies for Dom" active? What if you've hidden yourself from the active user list? Will the system check for that? If it isn't I could support adding it as an option (Maybe as like "Submit for Peer Review" or "Publish Theory/Paper" but from what I understand Arlo has a lot of moving parts to it and I wouldn't be surprised if limiting it to only the people a person has added isn't there on purpose to keep stuff from breaking. [/quote] @Twizz Regarding the other topic, if I were Archie Goodwin, I would've been able to remember the face of every person in every thread and cross-reference them... I am not him, however :) The "currently online" list is edited and re-sorted every second, judging by its "last active" resolution, 86400 times a day. That involves [LIST=1] [*] dropping users who idle for over 10 minutes [*] adding each user who's made a request to the site to the top of the activity list [*] pulling everybody in 2 out from the middle of the list, wherever that was [/LIST] Surely randomising the same 3000-5000 people for (I don't think every second's) Arlo requests will not break the bank more than all that does? And if it [i]does[/i], it's possible to take a leaf out of old-school RPG makers and make a psedo-random selector. Something like [LIST=1] [*] shuffle the triplicate list of online people once every ten minutes* [*] for the next ten minutes pick "random" people from the top of this list [*] give their names out to Arlo's "random senders" in the same first-come, first-served way dragon ID numbers are given out [/LIST] Surely the smart software people have made some optimisations of such things since 1970es? o_O [i] *Picking ten minutes since that's the length of a precise-work time slot (and also people from activity list seem to drop after 10 minutes). Might as well be an hour, or 7 minutes (the difference between "Active" and "Idle", apparently). Might not do triplicates of the list, but that would give a definite ceiling to the number of times you can be a "random user of the hour" in one slot, which ruins a person's hope of being selected dozens of times in a row (statistically speaking, unlikely, but the hope is tantalising nonetheless) - hence, three "raffle tickets" in a slot, if somebody's lucky enough to sort thrice near the top, they'll get more than one try in one slot.[/i]
Twizz wrote on 2022-02-08 19:46:21:
I guess I can support this if it's actually feasible within FR's current infrastructure?

Like, I'd imagine it's currently relegated to Friends List Only because RNG-ing through 3000+ active users across multiple accounts sounds like it might be a server-based nightmare. For example, what constitutes "active" in this sense? Is it "logged on today" active? Is it "qualifies for Dom" active? What if you've hidden yourself from the active user list? Will the system check for that?

If it isn't I could support adding it as an option (Maybe as like "Submit for Peer Review" or "Publish Theory/Paper" but from what I understand Arlo has a lot of moving parts to it and I wouldn't be surprised if limiting it to only the people a person has added isn't there on purpose to keep stuff from breaking.

@Twizz

Regarding the other topic, if I were Archie Goodwin, I would've been able to remember the face of every person in every thread and cross-reference them... I am not him, however :)

The "currently online" list is edited and re-sorted every second, judging by its "last active" resolution, 86400 times a day. That involves
  1. dropping users who idle for over 10 minutes
  2. adding each user who's made a request to the site to the top of the activity list
  3. pulling everybody in 2 out from the middle of the list, wherever that was
Surely randomising the same 3000-5000 people for (I don't think every second's) Arlo requests will not break the bank more than all that does?

And if it does, it's possible to take a leaf out of old-school RPG makers and make a psedo-random selector. Something like
  1. shuffle the triplicate list of online people once every ten minutes*
  2. for the next ten minutes pick "random" people from the top of this list
  3. give their names out to Arlo's "random senders" in the same first-come, first-served way dragon ID numbers are given out

Surely the smart software people have made some optimisations of such things since 1970es? o_O

*Picking ten minutes since that's the length of a precise-work time slot (and also people from activity list seem to drop after 10 minutes). Might as well be an hour, or 7 minutes (the difference between "Active" and "Idle", apparently). Might not do triplicates of the list, but that would give a definite ceiling to the number of times you can be a "random user of the hour" in one slot, which ruins a person's hope of being selected dozens of times in a row (statistically speaking, unlikely, but the hope is tantalising nonetheless) - hence, three "raffle tickets" in a slot, if somebody's lucky enough to sort thrice near the top, they'll get more than one try in one slot.
rJWIOZM.pngs8WoqhB.pngtDeKDnH.pngrats_badge.png[url][/url]a714f2ca8457a983cc2010ae692f56d4-da33ieq.pngb2880355ddf0aa894dcb44a252fda40339df0df0.png
1 2