Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | No more gene fixes. At all
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Depends on how the error looks. If its nice, leave it, if it looks bad, to the trash!! And I support the above, I think the errors should be checked before they're released.. quality over quantity
Depends on how the error looks. If its nice, leave it, if it looks bad, to the trash!! And I support the above, I think the errors should be checked before they're released.. quality over quantity
I really don't know what the players who are saying, "Errors like this should never happen!!!" honestly think is feasible.

Even AAA devs with access to hundreds of QA/beta testers consistently put out products with immediately noticeable errors.

FR is a small indie team with a fraction of the finances these teams usually have. The amount of errors is actually impressive in how small it is for a game of FR's size. I'm not saying that absolves them of fixing errors, of course those should be fixed, but it strikes me as really weird how some players seem to think the ability to catch and fix mistakes is somehow negated by "how long a site has been going" or some arbitrary release timeline.

I can't stress enough the following: Humans. Make. Mistakes.

Everybody working for FR is a human being. It is completely absurd to expect a Dev team to never make a mistake ever, no matter whether the thing they're working on has been around for 8 days or 8 years.

Are there steps the Devs can take to ensure more consistency and that fewer mistakes slip through? Absolutely. The fact that color generation for genes is now largely automated was, no doubt, a step to avoid mistakes that would happen if they had to hand-draw every gene in every color (nevermind the production pipeline slow down). Arguably, allowing the playerbase to beta test genes via the scrying workshop before their release could also prove beneficial in reducing the amount of errors or corrections needed upon a gene's release.

But I guarantee you it will never catch all of them and some things will still slip through. Just as they do in AAA productions.

Because we're all human and humans make mistakes.

Also, no support for this suggestion. Errors should be fixed and furthermore, while I appreciate their generosity in including the playerbase in the discussion on occasion, I respect the Dev's right for their site and artwork to look the way they want it to look.
I really don't know what the players who are saying, "Errors like this should never happen!!!" honestly think is feasible.

Even AAA devs with access to hundreds of QA/beta testers consistently put out products with immediately noticeable errors.

FR is a small indie team with a fraction of the finances these teams usually have. The amount of errors is actually impressive in how small it is for a game of FR's size. I'm not saying that absolves them of fixing errors, of course those should be fixed, but it strikes me as really weird how some players seem to think the ability to catch and fix mistakes is somehow negated by "how long a site has been going" or some arbitrary release timeline.

I can't stress enough the following: Humans. Make. Mistakes.

Everybody working for FR is a human being. It is completely absurd to expect a Dev team to never make a mistake ever, no matter whether the thing they're working on has been around for 8 days or 8 years.

Are there steps the Devs can take to ensure more consistency and that fewer mistakes slip through? Absolutely. The fact that color generation for genes is now largely automated was, no doubt, a step to avoid mistakes that would happen if they had to hand-draw every gene in every color (nevermind the production pipeline slow down). Arguably, allowing the playerbase to beta test genes via the scrying workshop before their release could also prove beneficial in reducing the amount of errors or corrections needed upon a gene's release.

But I guarantee you it will never catch all of them and some things will still slip through. Just as they do in AAA productions.

Because we're all human and humans make mistakes.

Also, no support for this suggestion. Errors should be fixed and furthermore, while I appreciate their generosity in including the playerbase in the discussion on occasion, I respect the Dev's right for their site and artwork to look the way they want it to look.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
I mean.... better quality control would fix pretty much all of this issue in the first place... lol.

Anyway, major 'fixes' that change a chunk of the dragons design shouldnt be made any longer than a month after its release, and only with very clear warning from the staff that the art will change. Its unfair to people who spend IRL/In-game currency for these genes that look a specific way to be blindsided and having the dragon they paid for changed.

Small errors like missed wingtips or making a gene actually show up, or even redrawing lineart would be fine at any point imo.
I mean.... better quality control would fix pretty much all of this issue in the first place... lol.

Anyway, major 'fixes' that change a chunk of the dragons design shouldnt be made any longer than a month after its release, and only with very clear warning from the staff that the art will change. Its unfair to people who spend IRL/In-game currency for these genes that look a specific way to be blindsided and having the dragon they paid for changed.

Small errors like missed wingtips or making a gene actually show up, or even redrawing lineart would be fine at any point imo.
I collect birds! All birds! Any birds! Birds!!!!W1Dayps.png
[quote name="Arkhelios" date="2022-01-02 20:05:12" ] Its unfair to people who spend IRL/In-game currency for these genes that look a specific way to be blindsided and having the dragon they paid for changed. [/quote] Um...NO! Its NOONES fault you spent money on a gene. that was YOUR choice. If its is NOT right it needs to be fixed...PERIOD. If that were the case then NO errors would be fixed as many people including myself spend money to get gems for rare genes.,,or trade gems for treasure to get genes. If its not right...its not right. Errors are errors. and errors should be fixed. regardless of circumstances. the staff is human...humans mess up. When we mess up we need to fix it. I would appreciate LESS genes in favor of better testing. But to not fix it at all is not right.
Arkhelios wrote on 2022-01-02 20:05:12:
Its unfair to people who spend IRL/In-game currency for these genes that look a specific way to be blindsided and having the dragon they paid for changed.

Um...NO! Its NOONES fault you spent money on a gene. that was YOUR choice. If its is NOT right it needs to be fixed...PERIOD.

If that were the case then NO errors would be fixed as many people including myself spend money to get gems for rare genes.,,or trade gems for treasure to get genes.

If its not right...its not right. Errors are errors. and errors should be fixed. regardless of circumstances.

the staff is human...humans mess up. When we mess up we need to fix it. I would appreciate LESS genes in favor of better testing. But to not fix it at all is not right.
Please call me Ace. ALWAYS PING IF NOT MY FOURM..it helps me respond easier.
[quote name="SuspiciousCookie" date="2022-01-02 18:15:56" ] because they are bugs, not features [/quote] Yep.
SuspiciousCookie wrote on 2022-01-02 18:15:56:
because they are bugs, not features

Yep.

Please call me Ace. ALWAYS PING IF NOT MY FOURM..it helps me respond easier.
[quote name="AceofWolves" date="2022-01-04 19:20:05" ] [quote name="Arkhelios" date="2022-01-02 20:05:12" ] Its unfair to people who spend IRL/In-game currency for these genes that look a specific way to be blindsided and having the dragon they paid for changed. [/quote] Um...NO! Its NOONES fault you spent money on a gene. that was YOUR choice. If its is NOT right it needs to be fixed...PERIOD. If that were the case then NO errors would be fixed as many people including myself spend money to get gems for rare genes.,,or trade gems for treasure to get genes. If its not right...its not right. Errors are errors. and errors should be fixed. regardless of circumstances. the staff is human...humans mess up. When we mess up we need to fix it. I would appreciate LESS genes in favor of better testing. But to not fix it at all is not right. [/quote] Pal I never said nothing should be fixed. In fact I literally argued in the opposite. Chill out. Theres no need to act like the back end of a donkey. I said ", [b]major[/b] 'fixes' that change a chunk of the [b]dragons design [/b]shouldnt be made any longer than a month after its release," That gives them time to fix an ~big error~ If a gene was purple with black polka dots and a magenta gradient upon release and has remained that way for months it is NOT OK to decide its "an error" and change the gradient to a different color MONTHS after people have spent irl and game currencies on it. Especially without warning. It's like buying a bike and the seller deciding months later that the color of the bike they painted is wrong and they spray paint it something else without your knowledge. This game is about breeding dragons to the exact colors you want. It's not unreasonable to expect that a dragons whose colors I bred 5 years ago is always going to look exactly like that. Errors such as lineart, missing pixels, parts of a dragon that were missed when a gene was colored, etc are FINE and SHOULD be fixed. Which I said. If you bothered to actually read instead of jumping on me and cherrypicking what i said. Lol. Edit: yeah. Staff are human. Yup, they make mistakes, and that's fine, but im not going to baby adults running a business and neither should anyone else. Making sure the stuff they release is accurate and that the quality is up to snuff and there isnt 5 billion Oopsies every release is literally their job. I do agree that they should release slower content (its not less, it just takes longer to release) in favor of testing. To be honest, I'd be happier with slower content, and NO new content aside from festivals until the error backlog is taken care of. That way they wouldn't be constantly adding to a list that is taking months and even years (hi iri/shim) to get through. Another idea would be to mark things like genes with errors that are going to change with an icon so people can make better informed decisions about buying that gene before its fixed instead of waking up one day and having your dragon look different.
AceofWolves wrote on 2022-01-04 19:20:05:
Arkhelios wrote on 2022-01-02 20:05:12:
Its unfair to people who spend IRL/In-game currency for these genes that look a specific way to be blindsided and having the dragon they paid for changed.

Um...NO! Its NOONES fault you spent money on a gene. that was YOUR choice. If its is NOT right it needs to be fixed...PERIOD.

If that were the case then NO errors would be fixed as many people including myself spend money to get gems for rare genes.,,or trade gems for treasure to get genes.

If its not right...its not right. Errors are errors. and errors should be fixed. regardless of circumstances.

the staff is human...humans mess up. When we mess up we need to fix it. I would appreciate LESS genes in favor of better testing. But to not fix it at all is not right.

Pal I never said nothing should be fixed. In fact I literally argued in the opposite. Chill out. Theres no need to act like the back end of a donkey.
I said ", major 'fixes' that change a chunk of the dragons design shouldnt be made any longer than a month after its release,"
That gives them time to fix an ~big error~

If a gene was purple with black polka dots and a magenta gradient upon release and has remained that way for months it is NOT OK to decide its "an error" and change the gradient to a different color MONTHS after people have spent irl and game currencies on it. Especially without warning. It's like buying a bike and the seller deciding months later that the color of the bike they painted is wrong and they spray paint it something else without your knowledge. This game is about breeding dragons to the exact colors you want. It's not unreasonable to expect that a dragons whose colors I bred 5 years ago is always going to look exactly like that.

Errors such as lineart, missing pixels, parts of a dragon that were missed when a gene was colored, etc are FINE and SHOULD be fixed. Which I said. If you bothered to actually read instead of jumping on me and cherrypicking what i said. Lol.

Edit: yeah. Staff are human. Yup, they make mistakes, and that's fine, but im not going to baby adults running a business and neither should anyone else. Making sure the stuff they release is accurate and that the quality is up to snuff and there isnt 5 billion Oopsies every release is literally their job.
I do agree that they should release slower content (its not less, it just takes longer to release) in favor of testing. To be honest, I'd be happier with slower content, and NO new content aside from festivals until the error backlog is taken care of. That way they wouldn't be constantly adding to a list that is taking months and even years (hi iri/shim) to get through.
Another idea would be to mark things like genes with errors that are going to change with an icon so people can make better informed decisions about buying that gene before its fixed instead of waking up one day and having your dragon look different.
[quote name="Arkhelios" date="2022-01-06 11:15:33" ] Edit: yeah. Staff are human. Yup, they make mistakes, and that's fine, but im not going to baby adults running a business and neither should anyone else. Making sure the stuff they release is accurate and that the quality is up to snuff and there isnt 5 billion Oopsies every release is literally their job. I do agree that they should release slower content (its not less, it just takes longer to release) in favor of testing. To be honest, I'd be happier with slower content, and NO new content aside from festivals until the error backlog is taken care of. That way they wouldn't be constantly adding to a list that is taking months and even years (hi iri/shim) to get through. Another idea would be to mark things like genes with errors that are going to change with an icon so people can make better informed decisions about buying that gene before its fixed instead of waking up one day and having your dragon look different. [/quote] This is the part of your post I want to focus on - I don't know if you've ever played a videogame, which is what this site is most similar to in a lot of ways and in those bugs and similar issues are quite common, some far worse that anything that this site has encountered. There's a term 'game breaking bug' which even triple A releases (this means the biggest/flagship games from companies with budgets in the tens of millions of dollars range and hundreds of employees) can suffer from. A game breaking bug means that something, be it simple or complex, causes the game to be unplayable and often results in a loss of progress. That the biggest things we have to complain about are genes taking a long time to be fixed rather than whole dragon breeds or site functions being nonfunctional is a sign of how good the team here is. This place is run by a literal handful of people and that they can do art, code and QA and produce content at the rate they do is amazing. Flight Rising is honestly closer to a passion project than a game and for the level of QA that you expect of them they'd have to use most of their budget on a quality assurance team rather than coding and artists. This would drastically reduce the content we could get, probably one new gene a year or so and new apparel sets (as in one set of the same items in different colors) at a similar rate. New dragon breeds would likely need a much longer time frame, to the point where I'd say that Ancients would shift release schedule to that of Modern breeds and new moderns would likely even longer, or a drastic increase in budget, possibly by switching to a pay-to-play model, or have a system of pay/premium accounts who have access to things that nonpaying users don't. Possibly, the best compromise for what you want is no new content, including festivals, for a few years, which would probably kill the site. There won't be any more mistakes though.
Arkhelios wrote on 2022-01-06 11:15:33:

Edit: yeah. Staff are human. Yup, they make mistakes, and that's fine, but im not going to baby adults running a business and neither should anyone else. Making sure the stuff they release is accurate and that the quality is up to snuff and there isnt 5 billion Oopsies every release is literally their job.
I do agree that they should release slower content (its not less, it just takes longer to release) in favor of testing. To be honest, I'd be happier with slower content, and NO new content aside from festivals until the error backlog is taken care of. That way they wouldn't be constantly adding to a list that is taking months and even years (hi iri/shim) to get through.
Another idea would be to mark things like genes with errors that are going to change with an icon so people can make better informed decisions about buying that gene before its fixed instead of waking up one day and having your dragon look different.

This is the part of your post I want to focus on - I don't know if you've ever played a videogame, which is what this site is most similar to in a lot of ways and in those bugs and similar issues are quite common, some far worse that anything that this site has encountered. There's a term 'game breaking bug' which even triple A releases (this means the biggest/flagship games from companies with budgets in the tens of millions of dollars range and hundreds of employees) can suffer from. A game breaking bug means that something, be it simple or complex, causes the game to be unplayable and often results in a loss of progress. That the biggest things we have to complain about are genes taking a long time to be fixed rather than whole dragon breeds or site functions being nonfunctional is a sign of how good the team here is. This place is run by a literal handful of people and that they can do art, code and QA and produce content at the rate they do is amazing.

Flight Rising is honestly closer to a passion project than a game and for the level of QA that you expect of them they'd have to use most of their budget on a quality assurance team rather than coding and artists. This would drastically reduce the content we could get, probably one new gene a year or so and new apparel sets (as in one set of the same items in different colors) at a similar rate. New dragon breeds would likely need a much longer time frame, to the point where I'd say that Ancients would shift release schedule to that of Modern breeds and new moderns would likely even longer, or a drastic increase in budget, possibly by switching to a pay-to-play model, or have a system of pay/premium accounts who have access to things that nonpaying users don't.

Possibly, the best compromise for what you want is no new content, including festivals, for a few years, which would probably kill the site. There won't be any more mistakes though.
[quote name="Teeka" date="2022-01-06 15:52:26" ] (snipped for space because i never stop freaking talking once i get going) This is the part of your post I want to focus on - I don't know if you've ever played a videogame, which is what this site is most similar to in a lot of ways and in those bugs and similar issues are quite common, some far worse that anything that this site has encountered. There's a term 'game breaking bug' which even triple A releases (this means the biggest/flagship games from companies with budgets in the tens of millions of dollars range and hundreds of employees) can suffer from. A game breaking bug means that something, be it simple or complex, causes the game to be unplayable and often results in a loss of progress. That the biggest things we have to complain about are genes taking a long time to be fixed rather than whole dragon breeds or site functions being nonfunctional is a sign of how good the team here is. This place is run by a literal handful of people and that they can do art, code and QA and produce content at the rate they do is amazing. Flight Rising is honestly closer to a passion project than a game and for the level of QA that you expect of them they'd have to use most of their budget on a quality assurance team rather than coding and artists. This would drastically reduce the content we could get, probably one new gene a year or so and new apparel sets (as in one set of the same items in different colors) at a similar rate. New dragon breeds would likely need a much longer time frame, to the point where I'd say that Ancients would shift release schedule to that of Modern breeds and new moderns would likely even longer, or a drastic increase in budget, possibly by switching to a pay-to-play model, or have a system of pay/premium accounts who have access to things that nonpaying users don't. Possibly, the best compromise for what you want is no new content, including festivals, for a few years, which would probably kill the site. There won't be any more mistakes though. [/quote] ... Yes, I play video games. A pretty broad range of them, actually. I'm well aware of 'game-breaking bugs' however i really dont think its relevant here? Especially considering this is an online, free to play game thats constantly being updated and not something bound to a specific console or disk. I feel like you're not quite understanding what im trying to say. I am definitely NOT expecting them to have triple A Quality Assurance! That would be [i]insane [/i] and honestly pretty unreasonable to expect. I just dont feel like wanting better communication and a closer look at things/extra testing before they release something is really a lot to ask or something that shouldnt be expected of them. Staff communication has been lacking for a [i]long [/i]time, if not since the very beginning. Ive been on site for 7 years, and honestly have just gotten more and more fed up with some of staffs practices. But its because this used to be my absolute favorite game, and i still care about it a lot. My entire family stopped paying RL money for anything on site the day staff decided to suddenly permanently alter every dragons eyes years after the games release for the sake of "quality". Instead of fixing it in the same year as they shouldve (at the latest.). Im not going to assume their budget. I dont know them, I dont know how their payment system/periods work, and I dont have the right nor am I comfortable making that assumption. shutting down even the festivals for A few years would be so so unnecessary. I can't imagine it taking that long if they buckle down and actually work on the errors instead of producing so much new content (which then adds more errors). A lot of them seem pretty small anyway, esp with genes (markings missing from a leg, a primal eye-type missing a highlight, genes that dont show up, etc (which, to be clear, are NOT what im advocating against! That sort of thing should be fixed! I wasnt even talking about apparel, which DOESNT change the dragons design/colors/etc (and therefore the errors should be fixed!) My issue is specifically that staff are recoloring people's dragons months or years after a gene is released due to "miscolors". And not even just re: genes, really, its just that it happens most with them because genes change a dragons looks (instead of being one solid color, the dragon can be multiple) Even if it did, pretty much all staff have to do for festivals is choose the skins (which are made by users, not the site artists) to slap in it since it seems the festivals themselves are automated but i also feel this isnt really on topic w/ the thread and i dont really know where im going with this anymore or why im even bothering, bc lets be honest- nobody cares in the long run and staff definitely dont so im gonna yeet myself out haha... Also pretty sure criticizing staff on site can get me banned, which at this point i dont really care to push my luck. have a good day/night
Teeka wrote on 2022-01-06 15:52:26:
(snipped for space because i never stop freaking talking once i get going)

This is the part of your post I want to focus on - I don't know if you've ever played a videogame, which is what this site is most similar to in a lot of ways and in those bugs and similar issues are quite common, some far worse that anything that this site has encountered. There's a term 'game breaking bug' which even triple A releases (this means the biggest/flagship games from companies with budgets in the tens of millions of dollars range and hundreds of employees) can suffer from. A game breaking bug means that something, be it simple or complex, causes the game to be unplayable and often results in a loss of progress. That the biggest things we have to complain about are genes taking a long time to be fixed rather than whole dragon breeds or site functions being nonfunctional is a sign of how good the team here is. This place is run by a literal handful of people and that they can do art, code and QA and produce content at the rate they do is amazing.

Flight Rising is honestly closer to a passion project than a game and for the level of QA that you expect of them they'd have to use most of their budget on a quality assurance team rather than coding and artists. This would drastically reduce the content we could get, probably one new gene a year or so and new apparel sets (as in one set of the same items in different colors) at a similar rate. New dragon breeds would likely need a much longer time frame, to the point where I'd say that Ancients would shift release schedule to that of Modern breeds and new moderns would likely even longer, or a drastic increase in budget, possibly by switching to a pay-to-play model, or have a system of pay/premium accounts who have access to things that nonpaying users don't.

Possibly, the best compromise for what you want is no new content, including festivals, for a few years, which would probably kill the site. There won't be any more mistakes though.

... Yes, I play video games. A pretty broad range of them, actually.
I'm well aware of 'game-breaking bugs' however i really dont think its relevant here? Especially considering this is an online, free to play game thats constantly being updated and not something bound to a specific console or disk.

I feel like you're not quite understanding what im trying to say. I am definitely NOT expecting them to have triple A Quality Assurance! That would be insane and honestly pretty unreasonable to expect. I just dont feel like wanting better communication and a closer look at things/extra testing before they release something is really a lot to ask or something that shouldnt be expected of them. Staff communication has been lacking for a long time, if not since the very beginning.
Ive been on site for 7 years, and honestly have just gotten more and more fed up with some of staffs practices. But its because this used to be my absolute favorite game, and i still care about it a lot.
My entire family stopped paying RL money for anything on site the day staff decided to suddenly permanently alter every dragons eyes years after the games release for the sake of "quality". Instead of fixing it in the same year as they shouldve (at the latest.).

Im not going to assume their budget. I dont know them, I dont know how their payment system/periods work, and I dont have the right nor am I comfortable making that assumption.

shutting down even the festivals for A few years would be so so unnecessary. I can't imagine it taking that long if they buckle down and actually work on the errors instead of producing so much new content (which then adds more errors). A lot of them seem pretty small anyway, esp with genes (markings missing from a leg, a primal eye-type missing a highlight, genes that dont show up, etc (which, to be clear, are NOT what im advocating against! That sort of thing should be fixed! I wasnt even talking about apparel, which DOESNT change the dragons design/colors/etc (and therefore the errors should be fixed!) My issue is specifically that staff are recoloring people's dragons months or years after a gene is released due to "miscolors". And not even just re: genes, really, its just that it happens most with them because genes change a dragons looks (instead of being one solid color, the dragon can be multiple)

Even if it did, pretty much all staff have to do for festivals is choose the skins (which are made by users, not the site artists) to slap in it since it seems the festivals themselves are automated
but i also feel this isnt really on topic w/ the thread and i dont really know where im going with this anymore or why im even bothering, bc lets be honest- nobody cares in the long run and staff definitely dont so im gonna yeet myself out haha... Also pretty sure criticizing staff on site can get me banned, which at this point i dont really care to push my luck.

have a good day/night
No support.

Bugs should be fixed.

We just need to actually know them so we know they are bugs (if they're not obvious, like broken images, missing parts, or the colour being wrong on one breed like mist seraph on RBs), since sometimes it's not obvious it's a bug, see what happened with Ob Flair and Butterfly on two breeds.
No support.

Bugs should be fixed.

We just need to actually know them so we know they are bugs (if they're not obvious, like broken images, missing parts, or the colour being wrong on one breed like mist seraph on RBs), since sometimes it's not obvious it's a bug, see what happened with Ob Flair and Butterfly on two breeds.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
A bit torn on this. On one hand clear bugs and issues should be fixed (e.g. missing images like that one color on snappers, blatantly incorrect/inconsistent colors or the weird black outlines some breeds have w/ shimmer).

HOWEVER, where this becomes an issue is when the staff fails to communicate with the userbase. I agree that suddenly correcting unreported gene issues with no warning beforehand isn't fair to those who have grown accustomed to a certain look - if an error has gone undetected and unmentioned for months (e.g obe flair) it often would be better to just leave it.
A bit torn on this. On one hand clear bugs and issues should be fixed (e.g. missing images like that one color on snappers, blatantly incorrect/inconsistent colors or the weird black outlines some breeds have w/ shimmer).

HOWEVER, where this becomes an issue is when the staff fails to communicate with the userbase. I agree that suddenly correcting unreported gene issues with no warning beforehand isn't fair to those who have grown accustomed to a certain look - if an error has gone undetected and unmentioned for months (e.g obe flair) it often would be better to just leave it.
FoJSh5v.gif Fal
FR time +10
B0SOpoT.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7